April 6th, 2010

Madonna lays foundation for school in Malawi

The children of Malawi have the strength to save the country, “they just need to be given the tools,” Madonna wrote in her blog Monday. The singer traveled to Malawi this week to begin laying a foundation - literally - for the Raising Malawi Academy for Girls.

“Tomorrow the brick I will lay is not just the bedrock to a school - it is the foundation for our shared future,” she wrote.

The academy, funded by Madonna’s charity, will “educate, protect and empower 450 young girls who are Malawi’s hope for the future.”

Madonna’s four children, two of which she adopted from Malawi, were with her.

Filed under: Madonna

1. Samantha

My parents work for an organization in malawi and i have lived there the past 14 years of my life. These kids deserve something good to happen to them. Malawi is one of the poorest countries in Africa and these kids have SUCH sweet hearts. People in America at least have the opportunity to find education somewhere, where as malawi seriously lacks that! PROPS to her for choosing a country that not many know about and helping it a little bit. I LOVE malawi and the people are so great! Whether or not she was doing it for publicity or not.....help is still help and malawi can use it. I can't wait to go back after i graduate college!!

April 9, 2010 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Str8 Outta Tx

@Joel T.
    i couldnt agree more. there are people living in d.c. within a stones throw of the white house who are starving. not to mention crime (and greed) is one of the foremost motives for crime in the u.s.
    we're on a downward spiral as a country. though it's no one persons fault (at least no one who can change it overnight) there arent many people trying to be part of the solution.
    the people who are wealthy should help... because they can afford to. and i dont deny that these countries need help either, but shouldnt they look a little closer to home.
    out
    19/m/tx

April 7, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Joel T.

Danni,

I appriciate what you say.
    Please don't take this the wrong way but what REALLY gets my goat here is that NO ONE seems to undersatnd my point.

On another news story I made the same comment and created a fire storm so please be patient with me.

I understand that countries around the world are looking to us for help.
    I GET THAT and I KNOW we are a great and rich nation.

But when schools are closing because of lack of funding, Children are being killed because of gang problems in Chicago, There are ENTIRE families out on the streets because of our economy, this list is endless!!!

Our celebrities can get on TV and make millions for Haiti – WHICH THEY NEEDED. Yet no one can help out the families who have lost every thing here in the states because of the economy????

I am not a gloom and doomer. I just see what is going on HERE and it is a shame. A damn shame.

You are correct about the vicious cycle however, sometimes that act of kindness is the push that one needs to get his / her life on track too.

April 7, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Cyprus Miles

I sure wish the celebs would do the same for the American childern in need. Adopt American. Build schools in America. There are just as many US childern in need.

April 7, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  5. PVM

People that have comments like "Crock" or "Madonna will do anything for publicity"......Give me a break...... When is the last time you've people have done any good for society whether in the US or third world countries? Huh? I think its great to see celebrities give back...... I'm sure even with all their Crocks......or publicity... they still put themselves out there and do some good..... Get off your computers and do some yourselves.......instead of criticize people who do..

April 7, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Fiona

Secondary education in Malwai has to be paid by the parents.

There is no guarantee and no "socialized" public school system for those older students.

Paying for secondary school would be hardship for some in this country but for a poor country like Malawi it is more than a hardship for those parents who want their children to be educated.

Madonna is using her fame, her energy and her money to make a difference iin thousands of childrens lives. We should all be so lucky to do that!.

April 7, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  7. Danni

Joel – regarding your view of the people in the US also needing help.
    While I agree that there are plenty of needy people here – US citizens have much stronger opportunities to change their life. All the children in the hills of TN MUST attend school – there are no schools for kids in some 3rd world countries for children who WANT to attend. Children here are eligible for food, cash and medical assistance. Sometimes a handout creates these vicious cycles of dependence that come from a choice – to drop out of school and let the govt support you and your family for generations. I come from one of these cycles and made the choice to step out. My ancestors are from a 3rd world country where there are no choices, and I can tell you they would have done anything to ge the FREE basic education we take for granted.

April 7, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  8. CDNGirl

To Uncle Walty you might want to look at a map before you make comments that “With rare, isolated exceptions, what great works of music, art, literature, philosophy – things that change the world (think Romans and Greeks) ever came out of Africa.” How about Egypt? That’s right the ancient Egyptians did nothing. There is only a long list of their accomplishments and they came before the Greeks and Romans. The idea of one God other then in the Jewish religion came from Egypt. Scientists believe that they might have discovered how to make electricity. There are many great things that come out of Africa if you are willing to look.

Madonna should be able to spend her money where she believes it will do the greatest good or something she holds dear to her heart. Educating these children will give not only that country more resources and opportunities but your own as well. Maybe these girls will become successful doctors or scientists and move to the US and give to US charities.

April 7, 2010 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  9. Thrashers

I'm proud to be an American – but it just so American to find fault in someone like Madonna doing a good deed outside the US.

April 7, 2010 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jersey

James, interesting point, maybe you could explain that to the children who are waking up homeless, and wandering on America's streets, while you and I sleep in a nice warm bed. Just saying. Hopefully Madonna is giving everywhere, where she can. Children are children in need. It doesn't matter where they are. I don't have millions to contribute, but I give what I can. I don't make the news, because I'm not an entertainer. I'm a nobody. I sincerely hope the famous are doing these acts of charity for the right reasons, because it is the children who are important. Not Madonna, not Jolie/Pitt, not Oprah.

April 7, 2010 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  11. Scruffy

Dear Uncle Walty,
    I agree that taking care of home should be the first priority. However, you need to conduct an unbiased study of African cultures. Just because you have been indoctrinated with lies of Tarzan and the Apes; and have been fed the nourishment of deception; the continent of Africa is the cradle of the greatest civilizations on this planet. Much of which has been lost and covered up to keep you ignorant. Open thine eyes and examine what truth there is. Your prejudices betray your weakness.

What are you doing to make someone other than a family member life better? Do you volunteer? Give to a charity? Or do you just jump on the internet and gripe about people that do?

April 7, 2010 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  12. WP

Madonna gives and keeps on giving.

To all of the Madonna critics, you will never be happy with anything she does. She performs, you critique. She marries, you criticise. She donates, you question the motivations.

Her success and what she does with it speaks volumes about who she is.

As far as the questions about why she donates to Malawi? If not for people like Madonna, WHO? Before Madonna took and interest, many people hadn't heard of the country. Even now, Madonna is probably the sole person that is taking an interest in helping out.

We are citizens of this earth........everyone of us. Why must people insist on identifying and inisit on others identifying themselves as a member of a nationality. Have any of you critics ever considered just how random it is that you were born in one place and someone else was born in another.

Madonna sees past that.

April 7, 2010 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  13. lrltree

It is extremely cheap to do things overseas in the developing countries and the stars monies go farther. In the US, things are a lot more expensive, there is more red tape and people don't appreciate what they are given. I used to think the same: why can't they do things here, but honestly, if you want to help the most people, those who truly can't help themselves, overseas gives you the best bang for your buck.
    It is sad all the way around, but true.

April 7, 2010 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  14. sebedell

It is time for those who can influence young students to do so in our own country. We are struggling here. Many famous people our students admire could do reading shots for ALA or their local school systems. How about making commericals that promote education for Television and Radio? How about movie commericals being made before a teen movie? I think it is time to help at home with a real emergency in our education of our country. Who will take on these very needy jobs? HELP THE USA students.

April 7, 2010 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  15. bdiddy81

who cares about madonna?

April 7, 2010 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
  16. Coachamya

That is an amazingly generous thing! It's a great thing that the people of that improvished area will benefit! I wish her many blessings. An outstanding life never happens by accident. It is the result of mapping a course for your life and making key decisions.

Madonna has an outstanding body and is very consistant in her health. if you are interested in improving your figure then please check out my site http://www.beachbodycoach.com/coachamya

April 7, 2010 at 4:56 am | Report abuse |
  17. Richard Johnstone

Dear Madonna: I am an international educator and I am in India at the moment. If you are seeking a director for your school in Malawi, send me an email. My wife can run the library and we can make sure those 450 Malawi girls will be movers and shakers in the future of their country.

Richard

April 7, 2010 at 4:48 am | Report abuse |
  18. David Horowitz

What about the needy in Israel? Isn't it time for Madonna to GIVE BACK to the country that put her on the path to spiritual enlightenment?

April 7, 2010 at 2:29 am | Report abuse |
  19. K

I agree with Joel T. As much as I understand that the living conditions internationally are far worse, I say why not help to improve the lives of the people in the U.S. We are the ones that have gifted you with all your millions!~

April 7, 2010 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
  20. Chad

I think Madonna has a really good heart, It can't be easy to live in the spotlight as she has... However, I think financially, life has been good to Madonna. But a very generous act like this truly shows how much of a senstive and giving human she is and how her heart truly is in the right place.

April 7, 2010 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
  21. android1

Madonna gives to charities?Nice tax break.I have read about the way she treats people.Taling down and treting people like dirt if she cant get her way.Madonna is a wench.

April 7, 2010 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
  22. PaulJoseph

Since Madonna is all about the bible story! Who is going to pop out of the bible next. She did give many many concerts in Montreal which is the city in the Province where every street and city is named after a Saint.Her ex d'j's gave a party called Infected Mushroom on Easter Sunday.

April 7, 2010 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  23. Gary

Ya'll I think it is time to give credit to the People that are helping out other places beside the US.....We are very Fortunate to live in this great place...............Millions of people in the world have it way worse then we do.......Why dont we as american people try and do the same thing here in the US.....Stop hating, get off you computer and go do something for your community!

April 7, 2010 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  24. Hmmm17

Yay, Madonna! This is a great way to give a boost to the people of Malawi. Girls need a strong education - I'm sure these students will go far in life and contribute their talent and knowledge to the world in the future. Standing ovation ffor Madonna!

April 7, 2010 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
  25. Geoff

Yay.

April 6, 2010 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Ron Hevener

This comment is not to say that everything about Madonna's performing career was a negative influence on people, but many observers would say that Madonna's strong and forceful example affecting the mass consciousness of a whole generation was centered around selfishness and a mentality of "the end justifies the means." Call it just a hunch, but (on some level) maybe she senses and understands this. Maybe, inside, she always felt it, and she is doing her best to repair any psychic and spiritual damage she may have set in motion. If so, that's a brave thing (and shows a courage) that anyone can admire. Let's wish her love with this, and encourage efforts like it, no matter what country they are expressed in, or who is the driving force behind them. Look what one individual can do in the world. This isn't a government-to-government kind of thing. It's people doing something on their own, with their own connections and creativity - and showing everyone it's possible to reach out and DO SOMETHING without waiting for anyone else to do it for you.

April 6, 2010 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  27. charon

CNN forgot to add that this whole thing is tied to the Kabbalah center, which would make it easy for "charity" money to disappear, which is exactly what you would want if you were running a tax-free "religion".

April 6, 2010 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  28. dan

What is it with these people who seem intent on snubbing their nose at the needs of at this country? Rubbish.

April 6, 2010 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Fiona

Thank you Madonna for helping the young women of Malawi.

As far as some of the comments, perhaps some of you do not know where Malawi is (the continent (not the country) of Africa and it is one of the poorest countries in the world. Their education system is in dire need of help.

I salute her efforts because education is the key and education of young women is paramount

April 6, 2010 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Eric W.

The reason why the rich stay away from helping there own is because we as Americans abuse whatever help we get. Look at all the welfare ridden baby makers we see everyday living better than us. And before you start flagging and complaining about this comment, I am on assistance. I needed it and I have. But when I went in to do the whole process, I was disgusted with the amount of people that are dressed better and driving better vehicles then me! We need to reel in the people who are abusing the system!!

April 6, 2010 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  31. ANneESpy

Gee. How Original – a girls school in Africa. Too bad she couldn't have thought of something original. Can you say media hungry lemming...

April 6, 2010 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  32. her

HOR that is wat she is
    she will burn up in hell

April 6, 2010 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
  33. me

maddon just wants to do any for publicity
    and fame thats why she is this she is not like MJ no news wrote about him helping the kids they wrote crap about him------ never believe the media
    "F the press and maddona Mj is the BESt" -me
    "i was born black so was he" -Madonna --- come on

April 6, 2010 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  34. laura

wow maddon woow you kinda suck

April 6, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  35. JT

Kudos to Madonna! I'm proud of her and the choices she has made. She is using her affluence to make better the lives of others. Does it really matter what local she chooses?

April 6, 2010 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Carson

OMG. I can't believe the ignorance of some of these posts. Everyone is welcome to their opinion...so be it. But I would ask, before you go casting aspersions about anyone, what have you done!

As has been said above, Madonna has made a lot of money....from people around the world....not just the U.S. Madonna has also given much of her money away to charities, not just abroad, but in the U.S.A. She gave millions to NYC charities after 9/11, as well as millions to New Orleans after Katrina. I can name more....but I hope you get the point.

Why question her motives regarding opening a school in Africa? Why can't she support Malawians as well as Americans? As to the question about her fascination with Africa.....who cares! She's allowed to care about whatever and whomever she wants. Maybe she went there and experienced something that we can only imagine....maybe that's why she's adopted two kids from there and keeps going back.

Speaking from someone who is from Appalachia and has experienced the poverty there....I agree with what others have said. Opportunities are provided, but not often accepted. My family, for example, never accepted a "hand-out" because we were too proud to do so....so we were more content with living in filth and doing poorly by our children. Again, how can you speak about something you know nothing about. BTW, I have a master's degree.....more than a 6th grade education. I worked hard, as did my peers.....so please don't generalize.

Congratulations to Madge, she's doing a great thing and should be applauded!

April 6, 2010 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Becca

Madge you GO GIRL!!!!!!

April 6, 2010 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Sency

Madonna doing excellent work – as always. people love her

April 6, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Martin Williams

Thanks several millions times Madonna and pray the good Lord continue to bless and keep you well. In the United States of America you can get FREE education from 1ST to 12Th grades, provided you have the willingness. But for kids in places like Malawi and other thousands of places in under developed world, they will appreciate this kind of gift because education is very expensive and some cultures don't even allow girls to go to school.

April 6, 2010 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  40. cowgirlamy

Madonna is the celebrity who gave the most amount to the 9/11 fund, around $6 million as well as millions to AIDS and Cancer research so she has given here. But remember, the world made her rich not just the USA. She is popular everywhere so she can spend her money wherever she wants.

Also, to "John I know". SHAME ON YOU. How dare you spread vicious and malicious gossip about Madonna and her ex manager who just committed suicide. We all know your hatred of Madonna has no bounds but my GOD have some decency for that is one thing it is clear you don't know and that is any shred of decency.

April 6, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  41. KH

Madonna has a right to spend her money any way she chooses, I sure wouldn't appreciate people trying to tell how and where to spend my hard earned $$ Any why is it people try to always turn something good (obviously what she is doing is good) into something bad??? I never have grasped that yet.

April 6, 2010 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  42. freelance

It's important to help educate third-worlders, so more celebrities can adopt them instead of Americans.

April 6, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Valeriy

Starting charity in a small African country gives more visibility to a celebrity. Even with the minimum amount of money spent there, she instantly becomes almost equal to a Queen there. While in the States, it would be just a good deed but with less recognition because the amount of money needed to make an impact is higher and there are other people making donations. The same with adapting kids from those countries. And who really wants to do good deeds without recognition? Recognition is what celebrities are by definition.

April 6, 2010 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Bev

I agree with Joel....help starts at home!

April 6, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Natalie

To Joel T, comment #1

I just wanted to ask, why should there be a distinction / difference between helping the US or helping another country? Are US citizens better than other people?

Your comment is one that is always made whenever a celebrity helps overseas and I don't understand. People are people no matter what country they are in.

Besides, we have welfare helping in the U.S. Malawi does not. The people in the 'foothills of Tennessee' bring their food stamps down to the store and buy food. In Malawi, the children STARVE to death or DIE from a COLD.

April 6, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Joel T.

Hey Guys!!!

For God's sake don't go to the Angleina Jolie story....

Those folks are rutheless over there!!!

I laid out this same story over there and they tried to beat me me down for it!!! LOL.

But I'm still standin'!!! LOL.-

April 6, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  47. uncle walty

Very funny. I just find it odd that with all their millions they don't funnel some of their charity here.

Poor people in this country struggle mightily. Sure it has been said we have the richest poor in the world – small consolation to those in need.

ps. i also have great healthcare :-)

April 6, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  48. James

Walty, I did not miss the point. I don't care if it's Madonna or anyone else, until you work in social work in a place like NYC, you really have no right to endlessly complain about poverty in the US and try to make a differentiation between someone in need here and someone in need somewhere else. I got the point, but I disagree with it. If you want to slap me, go on ahead. I can handle it because I have access to American healthcare.

April 6, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  49. uncle walty

James – you missed the point -maybe you need a little slap

April 6, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  50. John I Know

I agree with James but just know the person behind these deeds! But THESE PEOPLE DO NEED THE HELP!

April 6, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  51. James

To all those whining about the problems in the US: you are delusional. I'm assuming since you all have computers that you have a decent education and access to a computer. Have you ever lived in the poorest city in America? The Bronx? Trust me, even in our weakest and poorest areas of the United States, there is still opportunity. There is still a chance to make it somehow. The problems we face are NOTHING in comparison to a country like Malawi, which has over a million orphans. In population ratio, that would be over 30 million in the US. Seriously, go whine about our problems to someone with an education so they can slap you in the face.

April 6, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  52. John I Know

This is nice but underneath she is hollow, calculating & very mean! What good is this if she can't treat the people who work for her kindly she lives a lie in total contradiction. This as sad as it is to say is a selfish facade! Did you know the reason her x manager that just killed herself was based on being fired by Madonna for falling in love with her bodyguard? The woman who worked for her for 10 years couldn't recovery from being fired by her not because she stole, or because she was not good but because she simply fell in love with her bodyguard & Madonna disapproved ! Cold person so this impresses none of us who know!

April 6, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  53. veronica

I think Joel took the words right out of my mouth

April 6, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  54. uncle walty

Does Madonna also have a plan to post a small battalion of gaurds around the school? Because all it will take to end this dream, is for a band of revolutinary thugs to swoop down on that school, if that school does not line-up with their ignorant political beliefs, and slaughter every teacher and child in that school. We have seen that happen time and time again in Africa.

April 6, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  55. uncle walty

I honestly beleive people like Maddona and Oprah are so frigging rich that they have simply lost all reason. Of course, in my opinion Madonna is no pillar of intelligence – just a shrewed woman with street smarts who carved out an amazing career.

And again what is this fascination with building schools in Africa and adopting foreigners. How many kids have Pitt/Jolie adopted? Is there something wrong with American children?

April 6, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  56. uncle walty

Carlos – right on. They got millions and millions to spend and if they want to build a school in a dung heep part of the world that will probably fail – that's their business. But shouldn't they also funnel some of their charity back to the nation that gave them the opportunities to become millionaires?

April 6, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Eric M

The check bounced?

April 6, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Carlos

When will celebrities help out their own country!!!!! L.A. is going broke and Madonna is helping out some other country no one has even heard of? OMG!!!!!!!

April 6, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  59. GeoB

I agree with helping our own first but I guess the more we educate them, the less dependent they will be, hopefully....

April 6, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  60. uncle walty

Tiffany you are absolutley right, except poverty is a relative thing. It has been said that we have the richest poor in the world. But that still doesn't change the fact that a poor person in America struggles mightily. Most poor children go to rat infested, inner city public schools, with pipes bursting, heaters not working, and teachers who fear for their lives. If the African afficionados want to help Africa that's their business and money to do as they please. But it would be nice, since they have hundreds of millions to spend, to funnel some of their generoisty back here.

One other point and a sad and ugly truth. Africa has been a disaster long before the white man ever showed up. They have been killing each other through tribal conflicts for centuries – probably millenia. With rare, isolated exceptions, what great works of music, art, literature, philosophy – things that change the world (think Romans and Greeks) ever came out of Africa. I honestly don't see much hope for much for that continent.

April 6, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  61. uncel walty

What is it with some celebreties who spend their money in African ntions, adopt African kids, fund African hospitals. . Why not help right here at home. You got the money. What is this fascination with Africa?

April 6, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  62. giles clarke

what a badly presented story from CNN..

April 6, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Tombit

Hi JoeT,

I don't think US kids is less fortunate. It is the matter that parents or kids want or not. What I have seen in US is more schools than students. So it is up to parents or kids to take this opportunity or not.
    Don't you think?

April 6, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Bossman

Madonna is much more beautiful now than ever. Her inner beauty is radiating and that is what you get by giving selflessly. 50 is the new 20. May God continue to bless Madonna and all giving people. Joel T is trying to find an excuse not to give a hand, to the hopeless around the world.

April 6, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Dubs

It's been a long time since Madonna was reported about laying something!!!

April 6, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  66. LBW

Oprah is having trouble with her school and I think Madonna will too. When money is given to other countries, a good part of it goes into the pockets of the leaders and the people don't see much of it. I wish her luck.

April 6, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  67. hello

It is a shame that famous wealthy American people do not invest in the country that provided them with the means and infrastructure for their success. They invest in foreign countries and adopt foreign kids. There are many kids in this country in need of a home and in need of a better education.

April 6, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Monica

Madonna gives to many, many charities in the US and abroad so don't criticize her for her work in Malawi. It certainly isn't a crock and she is not doing this for publicity. It is a passion and something she strongly believes in. What have you, the critics, given lately??

April 6, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Jackie G

I agree TOTALLY to what Joel T. is saying. I also agree to what CJ is saying. But when these 3rd world countries don't want us there and do not want our help, what's the point. The american government continues to spend Millions upon millions of our tax dollars on places that do not want us there. Why not put the money back into where it came from. We need to help our own country before we help anyone else.

April 6, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Bubba

Madonna would lay anything for publicity.

April 6, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Eddie

What a crock.

April 6, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Cowgirlamy

Madonna is the celebrity who gave the most to the 9/11 fund, around $6 million as well as millions to AIDS and CANCER research so she has given here. Also remember Madonna was made rich by the world not just the USA. She is popular everywhere so she can spend her money whereever she wants.

Thank you Madonna!

April 6, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Cowgirlamy

Thank you Madonna!

April 6, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Tiffany Harnsongkram

Bravo to anyone who helps educate people in third world countries! This will help Americans more than they can know. I am tired of Americans whining about their problems at home. You cannot even begin to compare the hardships people face in the third world to the poverty in America! It's a ridiculous comparison and certainly an untraveled one. I am not a Madonna fan, but God bless her and anyone who sacrifices of their time and money to help others in need wherever they are.

April 6, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  75. cj

Joel T. I hear you but I ask that you realize America is still the greatest and richest country in the world AND our government has programs designed to help those individuals in the hills of East Tennessee whereas other countries do not. I work in philantrhopy. I solicit funds from public and private sources on behalf of the disadvantaged. Americans ALWAYS help out Americans. If you know of someone that is in need then refer them to their area Social Services Department. This is the first step amongst many. You can help advocate for others by contacting the appropriate local or state legislator or you can do a fund raiser on behalf of the familes in Tennessee. Help is needed abroad because world blight has a negative effect upon America. I am proud of folks like the Jolie Pitts and Madonna. You should also know they also have American charities that they contribute to as well.

April 6, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Neil

Individuals in this country have more then enough opportunities, I think it's sad they don't take advantage of them. It's pointless to focus on those on the hills east of Tennessee because they are content with having a 6th grade reading level or else they would do something about it. There are plenty of opportunities for anyone in this country regardless on their social status, it comes down to whether they want to take advantage of them or not.

April 6, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  77. cj

May God bless Madonna. She has the fame and fortune to do anything she chooses. I am so proud that a girl with the same mid western roots as I grew up to become a woman that not only talks the talk but walks the walk as well! She is a true "sistah!"

April 6, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Joel T.

I just made this comment about the Pitt / Jolie family...

It's great that Celebs can spend their money in countries to help the needy. But what about the NEEDY here in the United States???

Why not start a school for less fortunate kids here in the U.S???

Why not go the hills of East Tennessee and help those families who have less than a 6th grade education between the entire family and help them???

Please don't think I'm bashing them for a good deed because I'm not.
    Our friends, families, and neighbors have been ignored for too long and it's time for some of these A-listers to come on out and help us help our friends here in the states.

April 6, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • mandy

African Land = diamonds under ground, and diamonds = more money for Madonna. Get real people!!! It is not 100% about the people and the children. Why do you think the Villagers were told to move? Why couldn't she find land that was not displacing the villagers? Cha ching people. Its all about the chedda!!!!!

July 8, 2010 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Tom

There is a reason why celebs do these charities outside the US.

Madonna went with the idea, bought the land and will sucessfully build the school....up and running in a year.
      In the US EVERY city official, contractor or public servent will have their hand in the pot and in the end there would be nothing left to build with.

We have many who will and do contribute to the US however WE make it difficult to get any project off the ground. As a former director of a sucessful charity, privately run for 10 years, as soon as we looked for funding the local and federal goverment wanted to tell us who we could serve, what we could do and how we could do it.

Madonna has the right idea. Her money will make the greatest impact by her building this school and to teach children to plan and have a future.

And FYI....You all would be SHOCKED to know the millions she quietly spends to support local charities in the US. Not everyone in the biz feels they need the recognition.

August 13, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |