April 6th, 2010

'Idol' Top 9 to take on Lennon-McCartney songbook

I am very suspicious of Tuesday night's "American Idol."

There has been no announcement of who, if anyone, will be acting as a mentor for the Top 9 when they take on the songs of John Lennon and Paul McCartney. It makes me wonder if Sir Paul is going to pop up, or maybe Ringo Starr who released a new album not very long ago (McCartney released a live album in 2009).

How cool would it be to have the group mentored by a Beatle? They would be such a lucky bunch and I imagine that they will all freak out if that's the case.

We will just have to wait and see!

1. Joel T.

Wow.

I am a man who can say I was wrong.
    So, here it goes.

I WAS WRONG!!!

Never did I think Big Mike would be voted off – then saved.
    I thought Tim or Aaron would have been gone.

I hope Mike will stay around to make it to the top 3 but I agree with sheshe. He is abit over confident.

Now this whole Adam Lambert being a mentor???

C'mon American Idol, if your bringing back former contestants how about Carrie Underwood or Kelly Clarkson. Some one who has won the show AND has the trophies, record sales AND hits to back up an awesome career.

April 8, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  2. sheshe

The last two standing.....Big Mike, and Crystal! Big Mike may loose because he is over confident, but is the best singer & performer by far.

April 8, 2010 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  3. Joel T.

Last three standing at the finale....

Big Mike

Casey

Momma Sox

------–

Momma Sox wins.

April 7, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. M.M.J

Well mentor or not for what it was.. just the site of Paul on Camera
    is all she wrote for now! Unless he was to make his grand entrance one of these nights. In any regards I am a Beatles fan & much more. Maybe even a little bit of a musician who knows covering The Beatles song book is not very easy. When I hear a Beatles cover I tend to be picky but do admire/respect it when the vocalist/musician does a very fine job of it. I watched last night and think over all it was a fine night.. entertaining and there were some interesting performances. I liked the variations in the way "Can't buy me love" was performed. I loved Kattie's version of the Beatles cover. Very cool. The guy who did the John Lennon song.. is amazing and one heck! of a great talent/musician but I sort of did not like his cover of the tune . He did make it his own and delivered a great performance on guitar/vocals.
    It was interesting to see/hear the judges feed back and specifically Simon who took credit for saying the singer was more Country who took his advise but Randy, Kara did not agree. They said it was more of less pop vocals or what ever. What ever it was... I though the lad who did the tune, All my lovin did a fine job of it. Loved it. It was fresh and innovative and suited him well. Some great songs were covered but some of the greatest were not! I love big Mike and all though I admired his version of Eleanor Rig by I like the way Ray Charles does that song better. Ray Charles does an amazing cover of that song. I mean there are people in the world that cover the Beatles songbook with grace/style. But the Idols did a fine job of it. They do have talent. If not they would not be there. But not the same talent on par with other styles of talents perhaps but for what they do and were chosen for they do have something cool. I see it for what it is and know what it is not. When I watch it I watch it for the entertaining factor and hey route for the people up there because they are up there/got there and it's like watching hickey or some sport where you watch the plays and are curious at what will happen in the next round. I think by taken on The Lennon/McCartney songbook these Idols learn a lot and the audience/viewers like that and I loved the week before with the pop stuff and great guest. I knew Katie had some sort of spark in her somewhere and that was great that is came out! Mentor is each and every little thing you do. What ever you can draw upon to take it to the next level. In this case they are competing to win the crown and I think Ryan Sea-crest is wearing it now. Joking.. I got to say I admire Ryan as he is cool and think everyone is shining somehow. Good luck to everyone... I sort of think big mike could have sung "In my life" or "Girl" and really pulled it off a little better than Eleanor Rig by. Particularity because Ray Charles already covered that amazing well.
    May be they will have a Ray Charles night.

April 7, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jmals

Well, I am pleased that Adam Lambert is mentoring next week. He's always entertaining and I think he's talented.

As for "Simon Says" comment, I think the busy signals may have something to do with the thousands of calls that are sometimes being received simultaneously. How many calls do you think can be simultaneously processed? Besides, o ye conspiracy theorists out there, wouldn't you think that your imagined judges coup would be more convincing if there were no busy signals?! What role in the hijacking of the vote do the intentional, random placing of busy signals play?

Anyway, I don't know if Crystal has been picked by the judges to win but she's been picked by me! (Though I like Lee and, when she's singing well, Siobhan) Casey had a good night though I didn't love it as much as the judges. The arrangement seemed thin and the song didn't take off. Katie had a much better than average night.

April 7, 2010 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  6. Just A Thought

From the other thread who..

i got this from idolbloglive.com:

Aaron Kelly – Long and Winding Road
    Katie Stevens – Let it Be
    Andrew Garcia – Can’t Buy Me Love
    Mike Lynche – Eleanor Rigby
    Crystal Bowersox – Come Together
    Tim Urban – All My Loving
    Casey James – Jealous Guy
    Siobhan – Across the Universe
    Lee Dewyze – Hey Jude

well...

April 6, 2010 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Just A Thought

I'd rather have no mentor, than Adam Lambert! Can't believe AI is bringing back a runner up aka loser to be a mentor! If people were upset about Miley Cirus, they ought to be really PO'd about this! Not a #1 to his name! Barely even a year after his appearance on AI and a mentor – seriously! Should have a good spot next to Clay Aiken though on broadway!

April 6, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  8. protogere

I am going to be pretty biased tonight as I spent Saturday night rocking at the Paul McCartney concert in Miami! I know Paul is in the states, I think after Saturday in Miami he was doing 2 shows at the Hollywood Bowl – so mayhaps he'll pop up!

April 6, 2010 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Adrian Cronauer

Raising George or John from the dead is the only way you're going to help this group of no talents. Bah... AI sucks.

April 6, 2010 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  10. wendell

well, they really need to have a experienced mentor like the beatles to help them out with their vocal coachings.

April 6, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  11. simon says

no point in watching.there is no suspence.......the judges have already picked crystal to win........if all you voters think that your votes count your wrong......why are voters getting busy signals....or some other number on the other end..........you think SERIUOSLY do you think that Simon is going to let you pick the winner??? ..COME ON.......he's gonna pick who ever favours to win him the most money........and the the judges have been eyeing crystal to bring Simon money......

look back when it was Susan Boyle VS Diversity.......Susan had the whole world on her side.........what a shocker....guess who won DIVERSITY thats right....so convince me that this show isn't rigged......i'll say it again AI doesn't care about your votes......its only who will make the money..cause i'm sure that AI and the other 3 judges get a cut in the money from the record deal........

April 6, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |