April 2nd, 2010

'DWTS' beats 'Idol' in the ratings

testing captions
testing captions

Are audiences dancing to a different beat this season when it comes to “American Idol?”

The Los Angeles Times reports that ABC is claiming victory in the ratings over the last two weeks for “Dancing with the Stars” over Fox’s “Idol.” “DWTS” reportedly drew a larger average of viewers (23.6 million) the past two weeks than the Tuesday total for “Idol” (23 million).

The Monday night episode of “DWTS” scored 23 million viewers while “Idol” saw 21.3 million viewers and 20.5 million viewers for their Tuesday and Wednesday night shows.

Lots has been made this season about “Idol’s” lackluster talent, the inevitable departure of judge Simon Cowell and whether the show has “jumped the shark.”

But the season is still young and “Idol” continues to beat “DWTS” in the coveted ratings among adults 18 to 49.

1. Reality Bites

I say Kate Gosselin should replace Simon, then she would be able to complain about how she could have been a great singer but for her mean husband and having 8 kids, cause that is really hard and everyone needs to cut her some slack because her life is so much harder than everyone elses and she has to manage 8 kids by herself and learn to dance and be on TV and stuff like that.......

really?

April 6, 2010 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  2. ed

I stopped watching after Carrie Underwood won.

April 6, 2010 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  3. Patty Harris

Get rid of Ellen- she don't know anything about music. Only comments on their looks,clothes & smile.
    She should go for next season.
    Bring back Paula or some other lady host.
    But Ellen is terrible.

April 6, 2010 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  4. Johan

I don't watch DWTS, but this makes me wonder if it will surpass AI as being the #1 show of the year according to the Nielsen ratings.

April 6, 2010 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  5. Chante

Kate dances like bozo the clown.

April 6, 2010 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  6. Truthi

Its a good show...its just that its growing old and can't keep up with the newer better ones...i mean how many times can Simon say "indulgent"..???? you hear it once, twice & then it gets boring....the show has seen its great days & they just can't recreate it. Paula was part of the show...the true AI is just not complete without her. As for the contestants...i feel sorry for them...they just got in at a bad time...RIP AI!

April 6, 2010 at 3:03 am | Report abuse |
  7. frank

No, I believe Idol is here to stay, for a longer period. Too bad Alex had to pack up early.

April 6, 2010 at 1:41 am | Report abuse |
  8. Glen F.

Hmmm ... let's see ... Brooke Burke or Ellen DeGeneres ... hmmmm ....

April 6, 2010 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  9. Mike

I hate these shows a much as many of you, but those who claim it is time to "pull the plug" or say their "time is up" are clearly clueless. Do you not see that there were TWENTY-THREE MILLION people who watched this garbage this week?! It may not be as strong as it once was, but we're many seasons from losing either of these shows.

April 5, 2010 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  10. popo

i stopped watching where they removed lily and alex before the top 12. and yeah, ellen is not right to be on this show, kara is a pain to see. i think simon is sabotaging the show since this is his last season anyway.

April 5, 2010 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Joyce

Does anyone else feel uncomfortable when Simon and Ryan get weird with each other?

April 5, 2010 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. TR

This is to Paul your comment about being blonde and singing country is a crock of sh*it. Country singers actually have more talent in their pinky fingers than most of the singing talent that is out there now such as Britney, Lady Ga Ga, Kesha and the list goes on. I love all of these artist, but as far as them singing well in concert that's a big NO.

Go to any country concert and they sound the same as they do in the studio, with a few exceptions. So the next time you make a stupid statement, make sure you know what you are talking about.

As far as AI the talent except for Crystal, Lee and Casey the talent sucks this year.

April 5, 2010 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Bianca

American Idol's days are numbered. So are DWTS. It's been fun for those of us who've loved it, but it's run it's course and it's time to say "Good Bye". Sometimes you just have to know when to quit.

April 5, 2010 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Bianca

American Idol's days are numbered. So are DWTS. It's been fun for those of us who've loved it, but it's run it's course and it's time to say "Good Bye". Sometimes you just have to now when to quit.

April 5, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  15. dt

I have been a faithful, avid fan of AI since first season. Cannot stomach this year's show. The energy is gone, the comments are recycled, the judges seem dull and even Simon acts like he can hardly act interested. (I haven't been watching. This is from the first live televised show- haven't watched it since). To be honest...who can supercede the talent of last season's Idol. Seriously. The show can go away for good as far as I'm concerned. *yawn*

April 5, 2010 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  16. lollie

Please, Paula added nothing to Idol, Kara has to be touching Simon all the time . Bad. And Ellen has nothing original to say.
    Bad season. No talent.

April 5, 2010 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Lisa in CA

The phrase "too much of a good thing" comes to mind. I got bored a few years ago when they turned the "novelty" of the auditions into 2-3 nights/week boring TV. Edit it so that we can see the best and worst (though why people who can't sing are even allowed to try out, let alone get to audition in front of the judges, is anyone's guess) in one night; same with Hollywood week, and get to the top 12.

Oh, and if anyone has any doubt as to the audience they are playing too, Tim Urban says it all.

April 5, 2010 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Joe

I like the "fat dumb American" line. Says it all!!

April 5, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  19. JAY

IT'S KARA. Nobody likes her! She is the only reason I quit watching the show. I literally would like to shoot myself whenever it is her time to speak. Even though she is not as bad as she was last season, she still SUCKS. Simon and Paula were the dream team, even if Paula might have acted like a crackhead sometimes. Randy is alright, but boring and outdated. he needs to leave and focus on America's Best Dance Crew. The moment they got rid of the Paula and signed Kara on was the moment they signed their death certificate.

April 5, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Renata

It's just not the same without Paula. She helped the contestants walk away with some dignity after Simon humiliated them. Now I just think all of the contestants are losers after Simon's done with them. Why would anyone want to watch a bunch of losers?

April 5, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  21. svscnn

Not sure what show most of you are watching, because I see a pretty talented group of contestants this year. And, much to my suprise, Ellen has actually been a refreshing addition – she's funnier than I'd thought she would be, and, while she clearly has a hard time giving negative feedback, she has, nevertheless, had some pretty insightful moments.

What is frustrating is that the more talented singers are getting booted before the few remaining teen-aged hacks. But that's a symptom of demographics. They appeal to the teen-aged audience, who are much more likely to place dozens, if not hundreds of votes for whomever they find "cutest."

Like many others here, my main complaint has been with Kara though. She is so full of herself I can't stand it. But that's what DVRs are for right? One 30-second auto-skip and it's like she doesn't even exist. God, I love my DVR.

April 5, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  22. DMR

while both are becoming a huge bore, Idol is worse with the problem clearly being Kara. She is meaningless and clueless; at least Ellen is funny and clearly understands what a public performer is. Kara has no clue about anything in the entertainment industry.

Dancing is boring, as increasingly there are no stars outside of their or forth tier wash outs. I refuse to watch the current season because of Kate. There is nothing I can say about the spoiled, obnoxious witch that Kate is and has been.

April 5, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Adub

Idol just sucks now. I've been a long time fan of American Idol, but it has just gotten too corny and untalented. People are staring to realize it and now that Simon is on his last season...that show is going nowhere, fast.

April 5, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  24. DWTSFAN

IDOL is all about LOOKS and who is more marketable! Really there not much talent this year except Crystal! Plus having Miley Cyrus as a mentor was the jump the shark moment!

April 5, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  25. DoesItMatter

Who cares?

April 5, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  26. coleen

I too saw this coming, It is blatantly obvious that the true idols are
    passed over due to prejudices instead of talent. I will not watch the
    show anymore. Adam lambert was the true idol last season, just watch the videos from past performances, it's very clear........

April 5, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Dale

It's not Kara's fault. She is quickly becoming the best judge on idol. She is the only one that is a true recording artist and she really understands music and the connection that goes along with singing a song. The problem it that there are too many judges. Four is way, way too many judges. It's excruciating to sit through four judges. I TIVO it and skip a lot. Randy and Kara would do fine by themselves. Ellen is just a fan and isn't all qualified AT ALL. As for the talent, this really is a good year. But more for all around talent as opposed to just singing. Almost any one of these artists could write a good song and make it.

April 5, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Susan

I watch DWTS, it's great entertainment both the dancing and the singers.

AI is a waste of time unless you like hearing the same comments week after week. Randy should have been off the show years ago. Ryan is fine and I don't even mind Simon; but get rid of Randy is only knows one word "ptichy".

April 5, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  29. joyce

It is the judges fault for picking a mostly crappy bunch of singers. There were others that were better. LEE, CRYSTAL, SIOBHAN are the best of the bunch. Yeah, I am bored with it also, but maybe they will do something great SOON. I can't wait to watch Simon's new show.
    KARA IS GREAT. She knows what she is talking about. Randy is boring and has always been boring. Simon and Kara are my favorites.

April 5, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Bobby

I can't wait to see the long-haired blonde guy get eliminated so I can see Kara cry. I tend to refer to her a Kara DioDontCareAboutYou.

April 5, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  31. ms

Judges: song too old – song too young, / song too big – song too little,/ song too original – song not original enough,/ under sung the song – over sung the song ,/ not enough energy shown – too much energy shown,/ WHAT CONSTRUCTIVE ADVICE CAN THE SINGERS GET FROM ALL OF THIS??????????????

April 5, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Kathy

Lousy talent this year, combined with the voting disaster last year = smaller viewing audience for AI. I'm not watching this year either.

Oh....and Gene Simmons as a possible replacement for Simon next year? Considering he is a "has been" he'd be perfect.

April 5, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  33. bill millet

American Idol is no longer about contestants, it is all about swollen headed judges who think the whole thing revolves around them. Their comments are inane and full of vanity. The program is pretty well down the tubes. Let's get back to America Has Talent!

April 5, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Carys

@didier: only someone lazy or lacking imagination would consider all these things mutually exclusive. We're talking about a one-hour t.v. show in a 24-hour day or 168 hour week. If you can't also figure out a way to take in a film, play, opera, museum or read a book in the remaining 23/167, I think that makes YOU the fat dumb American.

April 5, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  35. David

Hate to break it to you all but just because AI got beat, doesnt mean the show is over by any means... It was #2 with 23 million viewers. Tons of shows or networks would kill for those ratings!!! If this year had more talent, the ratins would be better, its not because Adam Lambert didnt win...

April 5, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  36. On With The Show

Oh and stop with the "I should win because I've had a hard life". This show is about TALENT. And take the stupid Theme week out will ya? And what's up with the age limit? What? After 29 you are too old to sing? Geez. As far as DWTS goes, stop putting old, decrepit folk on the stage to make a fool of themselves on National TV. Keep that in a dance studio somewhere. And Ms. Buzz Aldrin needs to stop having face lifts. I bet she pees out of her mouth. Ugh!

April 5, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Andi

Gene Simmons would absolutely GREAT to take Simon's place! I agree!

April 5, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Andi

I think they need to drop the "theme" of the week and just let the contestants sing what they are good at singing. All those comments and suggestions from the judges are confusing to me. Let them be who they are and critique that judges. DAMN!

April 5, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  39. SC watcher

The 'lackluster talent' is solely responsible for the drag in ratings. Just give it to Bowersox or Dewyse and get it over with. Kara [have you checked out any of her YouTube song videos?] is by far the most qualified to judge singing ability/talent. I doubt Kara is a Paula wannabe. Who would want to be Paula? Paula should stick to basketball cheerleader choreography.

April 5, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Carly

Idol tried to fix what wasn't broken and sealed their own fate. I never could get on board with Kara's neverending droning and adding a "judge" with no qualifications except liking music (hey, who doesn't?) was the end for me. Still love Ryan, Randy and Simon. We had a good run, dawgs, but I think it's over.

April 5, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  41. qt_shanny

Since everyone else seems to be giving their opinion about AI, I would like to do the same.

1. The talent isn't great this year. I wish that they would have found better singers rather than people with stories. We saw less auditions this year and more human-interest pieces. That being said, both Krystal and Lee can sing. I, personally, am cheering for Lee. I feel that an entire album of Krystal's would get old to listen to quickly.

2. Last season I extremely disliked Kara. This season I respect her more. I really can't stand how she clings to Simon but I feel that her comments are becoming more constructive. She is a very talented songwriter so I wish she would become less flaky and more real.

3. Simon has totally given up. It's sad that he is being paid that much money without any results.

4. I love Ellen's show and I understand why she is a judge. It is nice to hear the comments of someone that represents the "average person."

5. Randy is just getting old. I am not sure how many more contestants can be called "dawg."

Hopefully the show either picks up next year or finds a new format. Please AI producers, PLEASE find better talent and less human-interest stories!

April 5, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Jesse

So crap TV show B overtook crap TV show A in the ratings. The only thing this means is that Americans are more interested in the freshly laid pile of excrement than they are in the one that has been around for a while and is drying up.

April 5, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  43. Jim

Simon is the most arrogant, definitely self centered, and positively the most egotistical human being I've ever seen. His very presence on American Idol is quite annoying and deeply disgusting. He should return to England and have his passport burned to prevent this pathetic piece of crap to enter the United States FOREVER!!! Kinda know now what I think of him – others agree? I'm sure most would agree . . . Simon, go back to England!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 5, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  44. Kellye

Yeah, every show has a life span and Idol's life is fading fast. I have always been a fan and faithful viewer but this season there is nothing that exciting about the show. I believe that Kara gets a bad rap....no she's not Paula but do we really want her to be? Simon and Ryan constantly at it (hype) and Randy with his "dawg"....Come on, enough is enough. With a couple of exceptions, the contestants aren't that good this year and at times it's very difficult to watch!!

April 5, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  45. jopsjennings

What's the point any more? The winner is mainly decided by teenage southerners who vote for whoever is from their own region, especially if that person is cute and not too "different" for them to stomach. There isn't anything left for the judges to say that hasn't been repeated a million times before. And even the best of these singers, as great as their pipes are, are incapable of producing original and meaningful work once they are on their own.

April 5, 2010 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  46. Moe

I have a dog

April 5, 2010 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  47. LVLinda

Talent lacking. Ellen licking Simon's face, disgusting and not funny at all. Ryan's stupid comments saying, "they are making out". This year is just horrid. What are they trying to do with this stupid thing between Ellen and Simon. It's just poor producing. This year stinks all around. Get rid of Ellen, she adds absolutely nothing. If Simon does leave, the show might as well just end.

April 5, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  48. Don Diego

You want excitement? Bring on Howard Stern!

April 5, 2010 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  49. Cheryl in NH

Duh....can you say, Pam Anderson's boobs! It's like a train wreck with jiggling boobs.

PS: saw a suggestion that Gene Simmons should take Simon's spot, that would be interesting. Howard Stern, yeah, not so much. Then I'd really quit watchin'.

April 5, 2010 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  50. jill

I'm tired of the fake Simon and Ryan bickering!
    I'm tired of the fake chemistry between Kara and Simon!

April 5, 2010 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  51. Pillner

I agree with @JD...Lambert ruined Idol!! Just a dramatic screamer...where’s the talent in that?! Only got attention because he was gay!!

April 5, 2010 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  52. Jitter

IT'S ALL GEORGE BUSH'S FALT!!

April 5, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  53. Noel

I will agree that AI has "Jumped the Shark" – it just smacks of a giant Coca-Cola and Ford commercial anymore, and lost it's "Star Search" feel in the name of non-stop marketing.

Yep, I still watch DWTS tho... it's a nice throwback to Solid Gold, and Dance Fever of my adolescence =)

April 5, 2010 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  54. Laurie

Probably because people are tired of Simon and Ryan bickering.

April 5, 2010 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  55. Becca

Season five was the last one of AI that I watched. The show was still fresh and likable then. Now they have gotten rid of a popular judge, added a fourth one and it's just not working. Kara needs to go, and take Ryan with her. Without Simon there will be no American Idol!

April 5, 2010 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  56. @JD

If only mainstream America liked Kris Allen enough to buy his album then maybe it wouldn't be the amazing flop it is today, right?

Like it or not Lambert ruined Idol. There was never a contestant like him and there never will be again. The boring drivel of this season, and yes I include Crystal in that mix, is not enough to hold America's attention.

April 5, 2010 at 6:52 am | Report abuse |
  57. Sheik Ya Booti

America has clearly run out of talent, and Murdoch and his Fox cohorts have made enough money from Idol. It's also time to STOP funding these "information terrorists" at Fox!

Let's hope it's the last season!

April 5, 2010 at 6:49 am | Report abuse |
  58. MARC

With last week's comments given to Syoban (She-bang) ALL so called singing contestants should protest the judges and resign on the spot. See what would happen. These KIDS will never sell tickets for a summer tour. This year singers/contestants should be given a settlement amount of money and GO. AMERICAN IDOL management should bring back the NO2s and NO 3s of the five previous years and finish the season with them. This would be a nice way to finish with AMERICAN I-DULL for good. Simon is a smart MINK he leaves the ship before its sinking.With comments like the previous one above, SHARKS are infesting the water. Feed Randy, Kara and Ellen to the sharks. This I DULL is sinking and there are no Life rafts. Enough. This is a singing contest NOT a sinking contest. SINK baby SINK! Send more SHARKS please! Call in the SHARKS!–MARC

April 5, 2010 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
  59. HLC

For me and everyone I've spoken with who are typically avid fans, it is the contestants. Compared to prior seasons, they're not as interesting nor are they as good. There are one or two good singers but you're not excited to see them sing. Last week, I was excited to see Usher and even that was semi-boring. Not sure what they can do to make it better other than add people whose voices blow us away. That's what has been good the past seasons.

April 5, 2010 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
  60. Larry

Never mind the fact that Adam Lambert's first album sucked. Here's a thought – if he wasn't gay – or pretending to be gay – would anyone listen? Doubt it.

April 4, 2010 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Martha

American Idol is too racist to ever allow an Asian singer on the show.

April 4, 2010 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Joe

The one Asian guy was kicked off the show which made the show lame to watch.

April 4, 2010 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Nick

DWTS will always be the winner when you have a gator Girl like Erin Andrews doing the Gator Chop after she finds out she's safe! I watched it for the first time EVER the other day (week2), and haven't seen 1 episode of idol. Additionally, the Kate thing is a train wreck,,,whi can take their eyes off it! She's simply awful!

April 4, 2010 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  64. TampaJoe

I really like using the DVR to record and only watch the performances. They drag out a 30 minute show for two hours and we watch Ms. Stuff prance and try to fill the time while sounding dramatic (come out already!). I just zip through all the fluff and watch them perform. There are a couple that are OK but most I would not spend my time loading from Limewire much less actually buying their CD.

April 4, 2010 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Victor

With that many people watching dreck like American Idol and Dancing with the Stars –
    Is it any wonder that Television is dieing a slow death??
    Thank Goodness the Leno at 10pm experiment bombed.

April 4, 2010 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  66. karuna

If people like Sparks and Allen win, leaving out the really good singers like Lambert, Dolittle etc, there is NO hope for AI. On top of that, you have a jerk like Seacreat who has been way OUT OF LINE since last season, Kara-a Paula wannna-be. AND THIS IS TOTAL DISASTER. May it all collapse sooner rather than later. Amen.

April 4, 2010 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Tad

They're are a couple things working here. Ellen Degeneres has been a total zero as a judge. I miss Paula! Also, how these 10 can be called the best of the best of anything other than an amateur talent show is beyond me. It just hasn't worked this year at all.

April 4, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  68. GJ

American Idol used to be "must see TV" for me every week until this year. Quite frankly, with the exception of maybe 2 or 3 singers, this year's contestants just suck. Have the judges become tone deaf? I swear I'm hearing something different than they are this season and I've honestly had enough. Last week was the first week I did not watch either a live or pre-recorded Idol show since Season 2. I just don't care this year and obviously, I'm not alone with that sentiment.

April 4, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  69. JD

Idol can't be #1 forever. The viewing public simply can't stay excited forever.

As for the whole Lambert finale last year, Get REAL you bashers. Mainstream america did not like the guy, that is all there is to it.

Idol will be gone sooner than we realize, and that day will be a sad one.

I look at the current downturn as one that was brought on by the personalities involved, losing Paula, the very tired Ryan Secrest vs simon feud, the impossibility of kara replacing paula, the addition of Ellen which would only put at risk the more conservative American viewers, and on an on

April 4, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Colleen, CT

Dwts has great dancers this season and I think people are curious to see those celebrities over idol contestants.

April 4, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Anth

DIDIER Priceless, there is absolutely nothing I could add to your post... you stated reality as we now know it in America.. however it is pretty sad where our priorities and interests are being directed, by our own hand, toward such incredible nonsense and to do so the masses. Unfrigginbelievable... ( And I am in the "coveted" demographic.)

April 4, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Susan Crogan

I've always watched American Idol, but not this year...Paula is gone and Ellen isn't right for the show. Kara is annoying. I just can't watch it. I never thought that I would get over the show, but I'm over it..I've moved on..

April 4, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  73. RR3

On a simple musical and performance point of view...
    Mr Adam Lambert set the bar too high for future contestants, which no one has been able to reach...
    His amazing vocal range and stage performances, hasn't been met by anyone...
    that's reflected on the ratings...honestly this edition is extremely boring, with only a couple of contestants that do have talent...that's it !!

April 4, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Jack

I just miss Paula...

April 4, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Norman

@Didier: Far worse than America's cultural decline is the decline of our morals, civility and class, as evidenced by your comments. The problem is not what we are watching on TV – it's blowhard cowards such as yourself who hurl insults at millions of people behind the anonymous cover of the internet.

April 4, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Bill B.

The quality of network television is just terrible and the fact that the public has such strong interest in either of these atrocities, particularly Dancing With the "Stars", which is totally unwatchable, is truly an embarassment, but I guess I could say the same things for just about any of television's "reality" shows. They are all either stupid, exploitive, embarassing or cruel to view. I'm surprised that the Miss America pageant has lost its popularity as one would think it would fit right in with today's general taste in exploiting people. Having said all of this negative stuff, I must say at least Idol has produced a few true lasting talents, which is more than the rest can say. but that doesn't mean that the show that put them on the map has any qulity of its own.

April 4, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  77. kghj

Didier, you display some of the worst sentence structure and grammar I have ever seen outside of an (American) first grade classroom. It is a bit rich of you to call others dumb....

April 4, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Jen

This does that surprise me at all. When they didn't do whatever it took to get Paula to come back this year, Simon leaving, and the lack of talent this year it is inevitable that their ratings will keep spiraling downwards. They need to get Paula back, get rid of Kara, and try to keep Simon. They need to keep the show as close to the original as possible. That's what America wants!

April 4, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  79. RitaA

I prefer to call it American Idiot and frankly would not watch if it wasn't for my husband. Most nights I just leave the room because I can't tolerate Kara clinging to Simon like lint. Who does she think she is?! I feel sorry for his girlfriend if she watches plus the innuendos between Simon and Ryan are terrible. I'm certain Simon hates Ryan! As for the talent, what talent? It's all lackluster and the only interesting voice is Dewyze and big Mike who most likely won't win. My husband likes Crystal but I wouldn't buy her recordings either. It's time to pull the big plug on this dead fish.

April 4, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Tim

Year after year they let crappy talent through, so they have nobody to blame but themselves. I watch the end of Tuesday’s show when they recap, and sometime the end of Wednesday’s show to see who got the boot, and that is it.n R.I.P Idol.

April 4, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  81. renee

Kara and Randy should stay after Simon leaves...they're the only ones with constructive criticism!! Ellen can go back to her show, she offers nothing! But most of you are correct about the show lacking in good selection this year, I actually stopped watching after 4 years!

As for Dancing with the stars, i don't watch that show but i heard kate gosselin is once AGAIN being a JERK!! doesn't she get it yet?? She needs to be around her eight children MORE! kudos to jon for not taking her abuse anymore!

April 4, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  82. Random Guest

How about starting a yearly compettion amongl the IDOL winners from all the countries who have IDOL (franchise) shows? You'll be amazed of the talents out there. You read this suggestion here first...you'll never know, this might happen.

DWTS is for me, a more interesting show to watch because the contestants' dancing skills or lack thereof, are being cultivated on the show.

As for the IDOL, I'm not so impressed with their winners yet. I'm looking for exceptional vocals like Barbara S, Whitney & Celine D. Jeniffer H. is good but she did not become a winner in IDOL, although she has become more successful than the actual winner.

April 4, 2010 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  83. Margaret

I didn't watch Idol last year when I saw Adam looking like a girl. Eck. Won't watch it this year because I don't think the likes of Ellen set a good example, especially for the young people.

April 4, 2010 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  84. wheel Stud

It' s all because of Pam!!

April 4, 2010 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  85. honest john

I STOPPED WATCHING IDOL WHEN THEY SIGNED ELLEN–AND I KNOW OTHERS THAT DID TOO.

April 4, 2010 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  86. Jonathan P.

Idol would be better if they removed Ryan Seacrest.

April 4, 2010 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  87. laura

Idol has run its course. The show is now too predictable in its finish. The talent has already been voted off for this year as it was last year.
    Who needs to waste their time all these weeks, just watch the last show and see the last person standing.
    DWTS is a sham. It is not a dancing contest otherwise kate would be gone and we would not be subjected to her dismal attempt at trying to be a 'star' and dance. She should never have been signed on to do the show. If I were Pamela, Erin and the others I would be upset to be included with this wannabe who is still riding the coattails of her children in be trying to be famous. No wonder some other stars wouldn't sign on this year.
    Forget both shows this year!

April 4, 2010 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  88. Johnnyfi

I think it's 2-fold: lacking talent on AI and an intriguing cast on DWTS. I had high hopes for AI after last season. It had great talent, I liked Kara (I know no one else does, but...), and it seemed like America was starting to understand talent and sincere performance over flash and glitz. By choosing Kris Allen instead of Adam Lambert, I really thought Americans were finally starting to "get it". Now, well....

April 4, 2010 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  89. jema

i cant satnd kara ,and ryan ,hes so full of himself ,thinks hes funny wish simon would tell him off ,after adam last year its so boring ,crystel is ok but needs to get cleaned up ,she looks like she needs a good bath and her hair yuk

April 4, 2010 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  90. Annie

"Dancing" is a sham. They are keeping Kate Gosselin for ratings but I can tell you this, I will no longer watch. It's supposed to be a dance contest, not let's keep someone around for ratings. I was watching and promised myself if Kate wasn't the first to go (she REALLY cannot dance at all, and she's so bad, I doubt there will EVER be any real improvement) I would not watch the show ever again... and I mean it! No more Dancing With The Stars for me... ever!!

April 4, 2010 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  91. sly

PAULA! why does the above article not mention the loss of PAULA?

April 4, 2010 at 5:02 am | Report abuse |
  92. 96816Guy

The talent is ok, and there are a few good ones who may bring on a personality that could be "star" material, but he judging commentary is boring and off the mark. It has become all too clear who they want to advance each week, even if a contestant has a weak performance.

The show should admit that the judges' personalities play a HUGE part of the show. Not one single judge is "warm and fuzzy" like Paula, who definitely displayed some whacky behavior, but said always said things to the contestants that made us all feel good at home. And that's what we want–we want to judge and feel good about it at home.

Randy's "Yo, yo, yo, Dawg" routine is so tired, he's become a cliche of himself; Ellen could at least sit down with a dictionary and learn some musical terminology to better express herself, especially when she is asking the contestants to express themselves better each week; Kara is an egocentric bore wearing the MOST hideous outfits and always referring to herself and her own feelings in judging a contestant; Simon, well...Simon seems like he's gone already–his critiques have had a tone of disgust with his "we make suggestions and you don't listen and America votes you forward anyway" speeches.

What's Ryan and Simon battling about on stage? I dunno...but its annoying and smacks of forgetting the premise of the show–finding an American Idol and not Fueling Egocentric Nimrods No One Has Heard of Before AI.

April 4, 2010 at 4:26 am | Report abuse |
  93. Isaac

Why is anyone watching either of these shows?

April 4, 2010 at 4:18 am | Report abuse |
  94. Zen

Bring back Paula & Simon and REMOVE ELLEN & KARA

April 4, 2010 at 3:44 am | Report abuse |
  95. Mike

I miss Paula and i think Kara is Fake and i dont like hearing her voice. Ellen is a bright spot but she has no clue what she is saying about talent but she is funny as she does have experience being funny. Simon is stil a bright spot for me Randy and I almost never agree and he is so already decided who he wants to win no matter how the person sings or not. Let's face it I have always thought it is a Popularity contest not about singing. I think most people realy realized it last year when Adam did not win.

April 4, 2010 at 2:49 am | Report abuse |
  96. terri

WHY do Ryan and Simon act so weird this season? Always arguing and making strange remarks to each other???
    And why does Kara lean on Simon on the time.

this show is boring this year , for sure.

April 4, 2010 at 2:44 am | Report abuse |
  97. joni

it's because IDOL is really dumb and boring this season. Get rid of KARA and What does Ellen know about music? No wonder Simon wants to leave.

Kate G. better get voted off next week, she's rude and I can't stand watching her! Brooke Burke is not a good co-host!!!!

TV is really dumb now days. ugh

April 4, 2010 at 2:42 am | Report abuse |
  98. xD

I'm laughing really hard at people claiming the show is going downhill (not in quality, because it probably is), but in terms of it's success. If they want the talent level to go up, take 5 years off and come back when there's a bevvy of new talent that wouldn't have been distilled into one or two good contestants a year over those 5.

Last time I checked, 21 million people were still watching it, and its only the first few weeks of the top 12 or whatever.

I'm sure Ryan, Simon, Randy, Kara, and Ellen are all crying in their coke glasses."OMGsh, we're only getting 21 MILLION viewers!?!? What kind of world is this? Our jobs are in jeopardy!"

Give me a break.

April 4, 2010 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
  99. nursie

I wish Secrest would leave.

April 4, 2010 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
  100. nursie

rod, I am with you!

April 4, 2010 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
  101. exactaman

It is interesting that AI is going down hill because a gay didnt win last year...and a gay is judging this year.

I also suspect that a gay is hosting the show.

Kara is a Paula wanna be and I think Simon is wishin she was her.

I think Crystal is good...but she has something wrong with her health.......Her and Lee and Big Mike...and maybe the blond guy.....are the only decent ones on this show......

Randy has ran his dawg....check this out.......you know I love you....bit just a bit thin....and lets get it real........but he is still much better than the girls....or should I say Kara and Ellen.

April 4, 2010 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  102. lester

The talent is soooooo poor this year. Out of all the thousands that interviewed there must have been some talent.....??

April 4, 2010 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
  103. Kevin

I quit watching AI on a regular basis a couple of seasons back. It seemed that the most talented performers never won and that more often than not ho-hum "artists" would win. I think the reasons are (1) the way voting can take place–a good example is the story of how two teeny bopper girls in Arkansas cast over a thousand votes each for the winner this past season and (2) the unspoken elephant in the room–there is a definite advantage to southern performers. Southern pride is rampant in the south, southerners will vote for their own no matter how talented or non-talented the performer is. I lived in Texas for 25 years and I have seen the southern pride thing often when it was not justified. The third and final problem with AI is it no longer has any credibility. The "winner" is not successful most of the time. Think Clay Aiken, Jennifer Hudson, Chris Daughtry and more than likely Adam Lambert–all "losers" per AI. Only Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood have been successful. Kelly won in season 1 when AI was not the mega-hit is has been since–therefore she didn't have to contend with the high school like popularity aspect of the voting process that plagues performers now. As for Carrie–well one comment said it best–if you are from the south, sing CW, are pretty, blonde and can sing okay you can be star (ever notice how all the blonde CW female stars look alike). Why do I care? I don't know. Like I have already said I quit watching a couple of seasons back. Yet last season I kept hearing about this incredible and original talent–Adam Lambert. I actually tuned in to the finale and AGAIN–another typical AI finale. I vowed NEVER to be sucked in again and it seems that more and more AI viewers are doing the same. It is a shame because it was at one time a really exciting concept–a talent show that would crown a winner and allow that performer become a star. A real shame considering what it could have been.

April 4, 2010 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  104. California girl

well seems like everyone here watches it because they are still complaining about it. AI still attract viewers according to all these comments. I still watch it. To me Season 7 was the best. And I love DavidArchuleta and I'm not gonna say anything is rigged and AI is going down because he lost to Cook. Both were talented and thats the way it turned out. Both are successful.Some fans of the runnerups need to get over it. Just stop watching AI, turn your channel to the news or something. save your misery for real sad news like disasters.

April 3, 2010 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  105. jimmy8

how about we just turn off the TV for a while, an go play outside with our kids. Seriously. American Idol - and most other shows - are turning us all into zombies that just can't get enough ;-)

April 3, 2010 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Sandy Cohen

I have been watching both American Idol and Dancing with the Stars, since day one. Yes, this years American Idols Top 12 are really not that great. Come on seriously, after such an amazing talent from Adam Lambert no one could really compare. As for Dancing with the Stars it's a great season!!

For you people putting these shows down, it's a matter of taste. I grew up with dance, I took Ballet, and Jazz, and I love the whole concept of finding new singing talent. So let us who appreciate the arts just enjoy it!!!

April 3, 2010 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Tracy

I guess my question is after all the AI seasons who can even name the winners (more importantly, how are they doing in their music careers). When it comes to DWTS how many have really had a change in their 'celebrity'? So in the end its still the same thing – both are just an interim interruption for Americans to be entertained.

April 3, 2010 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  108. John

First off Didier, when was The Rock last in a significant movie? You could have named a more relevant actor. Moron.

Think Ellen is better than Kara on the show. Kara does nothing for this show. If Lee doesn't win this show is a joke.

April 3, 2010 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Sprite01

DWTS has always been boring to me...just not my cup of tea. But this year with Kate Gosselin...ugh I won't even flip by.

AI has been my show since season 2. Since I love Kelly Clarkson, I am a bit dissapointed that I missed the first season. SEASON 8 ENDED MY RUN OF IDOL. I miss ADAM and Paula and the old Simon. This year is so painful and I truely gave it a try.

I am NOT going to say that ADAM loosing last year was the "last straw" for me. I DIDN'T want him to win. Now he can be himself and ENTERTAIN the MILLIONS of fans from all over the world!!!

Oh and I understand if you don't like ADAM (hey Kris isn't my cup of tea-ick) BUT PLEASE GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT BEFORE YOU POST. His ALBUM(not single)sales are DOUBLE Kris's. ADAM is Gold in the US and Platinum in other countries. ADAM's SINGLE- Whatya Want From Me has 756K sold with weekly sales increasing (now at 54K sales a week) versus Kris's Live Like we are dying at 1.2M sold (starting to decrease 46K wk). What you don't see is that Kris's single released in Sept 09 while Adam's released(on the Album) at the end of Nov 09(It wasn't relased as a single until January 10).

Please don't insult the intellegence of Adam's fans with FALSE information.

April 3, 2010 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Birddog163

Sorry, I still like AI and watch every week. Kinda like the other 23 million Americans. DWTS is just not my thing. Judges excitment seems a bit forced. To each their own

April 3, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  111. bobby

gays, lesbians, kooks..I'm done with Idol!

April 3, 2010 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Kathy

The only season I watched was the one with David Cook. He drew me in. I tried this year but BORINGGGGGGGGGGGGG! Will stay with the Biggest Loser.

April 3, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Bianca

The Idol standard of excellence was set last season with the ultra talented Adam Lambert. No one this year even comes close to his talent. Now that we know the difference,the kids who are singing this seaon look like rank amateurs compared to last season's real talent.

April 3, 2010 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  114. debbie

kara sucks as a judge. her antics with casey in the beginning were juvenile and each week she tries to act like she's the only one that knows anything. can't stand her. won't watch next year if they bring her and the show back. oh – and the talent picks, not very good this year. I'm afraid they left some real talent back in Hollywood week.

April 3, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  115. j

Kara cant make her mind up ! she agrees with everything randy does , she tries to b like Paula!!!!!!!!

April 3, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Lady Di Florida

Why the powers that be feel they always have to pit 2 good shows against one another is beyond me!!! It must be an ego thing.. So I just set my clicker to the two channels & I found while one is having a commercial, the other show isn't-pain in the butt, but at least I can try & watch both.... Smartin up TV people & schedule what's good for us – not for you!!!

April 3, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  117. FL Boy

We used to watch AI religiously...not anymore. This season's contestants are BORING, not nearly as talented, and I'm tired of the judges (especially Kara). AI is over in our household. It began with the departure of Paula and continues every week with lame bantering and the same old critiques ("pitchy," "bad song choice," etc.). Names that will be remembered forever are: Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Daughtry, Adam Lambert...that's about it!!!

April 3, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  118. mcasey

They need to get rid of Kara and then the ratings will go up. It seems like she needs to be the center of attention and she constantly contradicts herself!

April 3, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Lori

KARA ROCKS!!!! It is Ellen.....

April 3, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Tina Forster

Fire Kara and bring Paula back NOW! Paula and Ellen have great rapport and energy, Paula and Simon have great energy. It is VERY noticable that the rapport of the judges is very strained and any conversation is forced. Simon is ambivalent because he is leaving. Ellen probably cant wait to get the hell out of dodge. She isnt her usual relaxed animated self. Randy seems like he is just there for the money and doesnt care about the chemistry. Even if they give Kara a night off, bring Paula in for the night – HELLOOOOO ratings, hello excitement, hello Ellen and Paula bantering. DO IT!

April 3, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Dot

I think AI has had a good run – but it is on the skids. The show doesn't seem exciting any more. Adam Lambert brought something to the show that will never be there again. He not only had an amazing voice – but had stage presence as well. Something that none of the contestants have this season – or had any other season. He was a true performer – not like person that won. Chris seems to not have had much of an impact or personality.

April 3, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Heady

I hope reality TV in general has run its course. I'm tired of watching "average people" act stupid, and I have almost stopped watching TV except for news. I want talented people and quality writing back for a change.

April 3, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  123. TacoLady

I stopped watching Idol completely once they added Kara. I didn't like how it seemed like she needed to compete with the contestants. As a judge you're there to mentor and critique not get in a singing match. Also I don't understand why Ellen is on there. I love Ellen as a comedian but why is she judging a singing contest? Simon has completely tuned out and I don't blame him. Ryan has become an overkill, just host the show. Randy his trying to sound hip became destracting.

April 3, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  124. NATHAN WIMBERLY

What shows? I've never watched any of them.

April 3, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Jaxielin

Yo Yo Yo check it out Dog...what they wrote is dope! There were a few pitch problems and not enough emotion. It didn't quite connect with the audience the way it should have. If I'm being perfectly honest with you. Oh...and I was going to wear that outfit today.

THAT is what is wrong with Idol. How many times do you have to hear that drivel?

April 3, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  126. KDM

Idol has run its course. It isn't a judge or the producers or this years talent, we have just seen it all. In due time DWTS will have run its course and we will be trying to figure out who to blame. The problem with reality TV is that it is rarely 'real' and after awhile it fails at what it started out to accomplish. Project Runway will be next to take a dive in the crapper.

April 3, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Halaluani

Let's put this in perspective, people. It's a mere 0.6 million difference in viewers over the last two weeks. Big deal. Very few weekly shows have ever consistently had over 20 million viewers. Reactions to this are all a bit melodramatic. Let's face it, this is not an indication of AI failing despite the mostly mediocre singers this season. If there is anything responsible it is the arrogance of the judges who have chosen contestants not by ability but by some other standard, most likely having to do with physical appeal. What do we expect in a country where Taylor Swift is the singer (and I use the word "singer" loosely) winning in all the awards shows? She is not marketed on vocal ability. We have only ourselves to blame. As long as we buy artists like Swift, AI will continue to put talent a distant second for those in the AI top twelve.

April 3, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Roscoe

It's not just Kara. Ellen is a disappointment, Randy and Ryan have become just plain awful. Without Simon and his honesty the show will sink faster than a ____ in ____. People like to pick on Tim Urban, but he is by far NOT the worst!

April 3, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  129. Kevin

This show not only "jumped the shark", it belly-flopped and got eaten by the shark.

Pretty much all that need to be said is that my roommate came in this week, heard the performances from the next room and assumed it was a "bloopers" and "bad/funny auditions" episode.

Really... I'm sad to say that I've heard better at the local karaoke bar.- I have at least a dozen friends that can sing better then anyone on the show this season...and honestly, my friends are *not* all that good...

Its like they intentionally picked contestants with talents that are mediocre at best.

April 3, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  130. Donna

I stopped watching DWTS a couple of seasons ago, but I am back to watch the results shows only. I like the musical guests and professional dancers and seeing the best of the "stars" from the previous night.

For AI, I had been watching since the Top 10 of Season 1, but this season I did not watch a single episode. Reason: Paula is gone and Kara is WAY too annoying without having Paula around. I like Ellen but she did a bad job judging on SYTYCD so I was not interested in her here. I don't miss AI at all.

April 3, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Chickenhawk

The problem with American Idol is they try too hard to created a diverse array of contestants. The guy with the new baby. The girl with the quirky personality. The shy guy, the 16 year old ingenue, etc., instead of selecting the 12 best artists. Crystal is a rarity this year because she has mad talent and would be overlooked by the industry without a platform like Idol. But the rest have been mediocre at best, with only glimmers of good performances from time to time. As a side comment - to people like Brian O, please get your facts straight before ranting. Clay Aiken's album actually sold quite well, Adam Lambert's album has doubled Kris (not Chris) Allen's sales, and has already gone gold on route to become platinum with sales abroad. But Kris has justifiably had great success with his current single. Also, Adam Lambert was never closeted during American Idol, and you'd have to be in a coma to not surmise that he was gay. Duh.

April 3, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  132. Debbie

I have always been a diehard Idol fan, but this season is really awful. It is extremely boring. There is absolutely no one that I look forward to seeing each week. I think David Cook and Adam Lambert spoiled it for me. I couldn't wait each week to see what they were going to do. Not one of this season's contestants are in their league.

So I think I'm just going to quit watching. I don't care who wins.

April 3, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  133. No Talent

Sorry but for the last couple of years, the talent on AI has been bad. I am always amazed that out of the thousands that try out, this is the best they could come up with. Sorry Lambert isn't my style and he isn't that great. All he wants to do is draw attention to the fact that he is gay. Big deal. There is no talent this year. AI has run its course regardless of the judges. Kara does know talent. You might not like her, but she does know talent, just like Simon. I'm tired of listening to a 50 something Randy talking like a 20 year old. That gets very old fast.

As far as DWTS, all the hate poured on Kate is just plain disgusting. So she is controlling, so are a lot of people today in this country. Big deal. And all the publicity about her just draws people to watch the show. Just remember she isn't the one putting it out there, it is the media and DWTS. AI doesn't have anyone on it to compete with all the hate poured on Kate.

To me all the publicity poured on Kate and for that matter any "so-called star" is what bullying is about. And the media is responsible for this and eventually the media will be held accountable for their actions.

April 3, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  134. Shan

Isn't Simon's show going to be competing with AI? And yet Simon help to pick the talent this year? And it's the /worst/ talent they've ever had, except for maybe season 3. At least this year the others got a few though - Casey, Bowersox, Lee, Big Mike.

Idol sucks this year? = Simon Cowell's smart business decision.

Didn't Simon say: I think this year is a girl's year? Or something like that? Uh huh. How many girls are left? He's been playing folks from day one.

April 3, 2010 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  135. Chris Pena

The show has run it's course after 10 years. Whether Adam won last year or not, the show doesn't have the appeal of prior years and the lack of talent this year......minus Lee and a couple others...leads die hard fans to care less if we miss an episode this year.

April 3, 2010 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  136. The Best Critic

I wish people would get over the Adam Lambert loss. He was very talented but his choice to keep doing the same thing each week turned off a lot of people. Siobhan tries to scream each week this year but it is not working as well. Kris Allen last year was a very confident singer who knew what style he wanted to sing. He was a refreshing contrast. Lambert's dramatics and screeching created a love/hate reaction, and probably more haters than lovers. In contrast I think someone with Elton John's talent and style could still have won.

So I think the result had more to do with talent and styles than it had to do with Red/Blue nation demographics or a Christian vote.

AI's demise could however still be related to Adam since he sort of used and abused the weakness of American Idol when non-discretionary listeners can easily pull for the over-the-top, really loud performances. Those fans may feel a little staleness this year. However, the show has just been on TV for a long time and I'm surprised it kept the ratings this long. They should have closed it after at least a couple of years ago and maybe after the first few seasons.

April 3, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  137. Joser Jimenez

NEWS FLASH! The hiring of Ellen on that show made me stop watching. Who makes the decisions?? Fire him/her too! Took a great show and put it in the dumper.

April 3, 2010 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  138. Lesley

Ive watched AI from first season- but after this- Im done! I hope the people that truly deserve a break because of good raw talent are offered another way to be found. This circus of a show needs to stop! Ryan and Simons friction is annoying- stay professional. Kara comments are so over the top that its ridiculous! Randy seems as if his mind is half there- he is just doing his time then bolt! Ellen is cute and savy but really does not need to be there!

April 3, 2010 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  139. GuestColin

no surprise.

Ellen is on there why?
    Simon clearly is over the whole thing and just wants to leave.
    Kara? Uh well...she's nice to look at anyway.
    Randy? Mostly annoying and yo dawg, says the same thing all the time.

Crystal Bowersox is the only reason I haven't completely stopped watching this season.

Idol kids this year = the big SUCK.

April 3, 2010 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  140. AustinRoth

What no one seems to be commenting on, but I think is a MAJOR contributor to the decline in being an interesting show, is that the range of different music themes is gone.

Remember when Andrea Bocelli was on? He actually taught Daughtry a significant aspect about singing full powered without shouting.

Where is country week? Broadway week? And where are somewhat more modern genres and song choices for them to choose from? If I have to hear one more time from the judges about not sounding current when they give them a 25 year old song-list to choose from I will scream.

Finally, they had back-to-back 'jump the shark' moments when first Ryan tried to get Didi to cry for ratings, followed the next night by basically mixing-in a paid movie promo to the show's introduction.

April 3, 2010 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  141. byrd1

Good lord, who cares!!!!!!

April 3, 2010 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  142. Jim

Rest assured that if "Idol" fails, an equally awful or worse show will take its place. As long as television survives, it's certain that you'll always have things to do with your remote control and text pad.

April 3, 2010 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  143. Carolyn

I watch AI on YouTube -only the ones I think are good (3 to be exact) the next day.. no way I would watch it over Lost!!!

April 3, 2010 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
  144. Its so sad

For a country that elected Obama as president, surely Tim will be the next American Idol!

April 3, 2010 at 7:47 am | Report abuse |
  145. Kenny Waters

I seen the hand writting on the wall during Jennifer Hudsons run. This show isn't about who's the best singer, but who has the best look. If the fans like you, no matter how bad you sing they will vote for you. Lot of good singers have been booted off, because some one else that is terrible has been aloud to stay on, knocking out the one's that are truly good.

April 3, 2010 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
  146. JDW

I'm not into this season of AI at all, and when Simon leaves I'll stop watching all together. I like Randy but not enough to stay tuned. I don't care for Kara or Ellen, and Ryan is just becoming annoying. Why they decided to pay him $45M is just plain crazy. No wonder Paula stormed out.

I don't care who wins because I won't be buying their music. In fact the only cd or song I would think about buying is Larry Platt's "Pants On The Ground".

April 3, 2010 at 6:42 am | Report abuse |
  147. Anne

I don't care to see people dancing around half nude so don't watch DWTS. And this year I gave up on Idol because of Ellen. They need someone that has been in the music industry. So both shows are tuned out on my TV. Amen

April 3, 2010 at 4:39 am | Report abuse |
  148. closetAIfan

I used to enjoy watching AI. Undiscovered talent, good concept. I only watch a handful of TV shows and this was one I could enjoy with my children.

Ellen was not brought in for her music business savvy, but for a representative of a real voter, with the knowledge of stage presence and the effects of fame (like the real people voting have a knowledge of the music business). I think she makes more sense than Kara, since she is a songwriter, and the show does not showcase original songs. Ellen + Paula = much better chemistry.

I am getting bored with the show format myself. It used to be, here is ur theme, boom boom boom, a few commercials, here is ur recap, goodnight. Next night, here they are all singing a theme song together, here is ur bottom 3, this one is going home, goodnight. Now it seems like hours of filler, commercials, self promotion, and sponsors, oh and here is some singing. If you have that much time, let them sing longer! I DVR it now, I fast forward through everything but the singing and judging (sometimes even thru Kara's comments). It used to be a quick, fun show, now its is way too over the top.

Myself i dont like watching "B-list" people trying to get their names back in print or faces back on the screen.

April 3, 2010 at 4:39 am | Report abuse |
  149. Carroll

DWTS is more original and entertaining than AI. On AI you can record the live performances on Monday, you have two plus hours to pick-up the phone and dial each number several times. You reall know who has the voice and talent (Black & White). It seems simon and his wize cracks on what it's like is just nasty it seems. Does he really know the difference between R&B, Soul and Hip-Hop and Rock??? Simon and AI should worry about his show that what is happening on DWTS! Plus DWTS is more Family fun for all young and old.

April 3, 2010 at 4:03 am | Report abuse |
  150. MJM

Hate to break to You, All the judges on DWTS have quite a bit of dancing experience . So they are more than qualified to judge.

April 3, 2010 at 2:58 am | Report abuse |
  151. MJM

I prefer DWTS over AI. To me they drag AI out too long. They need to stop with 24 and start off with 12. Besides the show will be toast after Simon leaves, unless they can get a strong personality like him . No not Howard Stern for the show would not last month with him on there. I also think it would great if they replaced Ryan.

April 3, 2010 at 2:56 am | Report abuse |
  152. e-man

I am pretty sure I'd rather watch paint dry than to watch either of these over-hyped shows.

Idol has simply run its course. It's old and stodgy.

DWTS is unwatchable. I don't care to see people dancing for 20 seconds only to be graded by a panel of nobodies.

April 3, 2010 at 2:11 am | Report abuse |
  153. battles

Paula and Simon were entertaining.

Randy is the bomb...sme old commemts always rehased snd needs to move on.

Kara was added she took the show down...her comments took time away fro the other three.

Ellen a judge?

Bring back the second judes choice and one for the voters. Worked great as Clay finished in second place.

Increase the age limit to eighteen to reduce the teeny voters.

Gave up watching with Kara and the their is no way that the voters rewarding cuest look and not the singing competion.

The producers gave far too much money to ryan and trasfer funds to keep Paula.

April 3, 2010 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
  154. suzy diamond

I think it's a combination of many things. No one seems to like Kara, viewers miss Paula. Ellen doesn't seem to fit in very well. We all know Simon is leaving and lastly the majority of the top 24 that were chosen are pretty awful singers. So my conclusion is....Yes, the show has run it's course. Time to focus on something new!

April 3, 2010 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
  155. Beth

I happen to like Kara & Ellen. All the judges are providing more useful feedback than they ever have, even though they disagree. Kara shoots straight, Ellen is delightful in her assessments, Randy is OK, Simon is, well he is being his usual self. Frankly, I was tire of Paula's antics. I do think some "not ready for prime time" talent made it through to the top 12. Not sure why...Crystal, Casey, Lee, Andrew, and maybe Shibaon & Mike are the only ones with potential to go the distance.

April 3, 2010 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
  156. paul

adding ellen degenerate to the show was the nail in the coffin she is a no talent with no talent i always thought simon was smart but we all screw up now and then how can u start a show with a recording artist a musician and a producer and then change it to a bad comedian a bad artist and expect it to keep pace what a joke ellen is just a bad person who has created another platform to tell bad jokes .......ellen just go away......seriously just go away i hope u read this but please just go away your a very ugly and bad person you one day will be judged also......

April 3, 2010 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  157. Arbeegee

saftgek....

Congrats on apparently anointing yourself the most knowledgeable critic in the world of TV shows. As for your reference to the "mindless hordes" who are "mesmerized by this worthless tripe", how do you know anything about either show, if you're not watching them yourself? So, maybe you should consider yourself part of the "horde". Oh yeah, thanks also for reminding all of us in our society just how "incredibly pitiful" we are. I hope everyone else in society is as excited to read your opinion as I was. It's so enlightening, especially coming from such a respected and world-renowned expert as you.

April 2, 2010 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  158. Charlotte

To BrianO....Adam never said he was straight, never played it straight, and never said he was gay. Like he said then and still does, it is no one's business, he is just a singer, straight or gay.

April 2, 2010 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  159. Charlotte

What's wrong has to do with 2 people. There is no one to top Adam. And Ellen is an embarrassment.....she knows nothing about the music industry. Terrible judge.

April 2, 2010 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  160. justice

it's because of paula.

April 2, 2010 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  161. JS

You people are complete morons. 23 million per week is still 4x more than most shows. I would hardly call AI a 'sinking' ship. It's the most successful show in the history of television.

April 2, 2010 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  162. Rod

If that wannabe Ryan Seacrest thinks he's in the same intellectual galaxy as Simon Cowell, well that just shows me how idiotic he really is.

April 2, 2010 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  163. saftgek

Why is this news? Both programs are horrible wastes of airtime and have no place on television EXCEPT for the mindless hordes who veg out and allow themselves to be mesmerized by this worthless tripe.

Our society is so incredibly pitiful!

April 2, 2010 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  164. dch

Didier, I could NOT agree more. The level of intelligence in this country ..... well, it just doesn't exist anymore. As long as "reality shows" (are they real......?) take over the airwaves, and political pundits spew the garbage they do, this is what the next generation has to look forward to ........ mindless, dumbing down of EVERYthing . What a load of crap!

April 2, 2010 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  165. MP

Didier, I am with you!

April 2, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  166. Bev

@BrianO Adam Lambert has sold almost 600,00 albums and Kris Allen has sold under 300,000.. Both are talented and considering CD sales in general right now, they both did well. Just so you know.

April 2, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  167. davecabano

Get rid of ellen and bring back Paula..But thats too late.This show is doomed and simon cowell knew this a year ago..

April 2, 2010 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  168. BrianO

PS: neither Clay Aiken or Adam Lambert were "known" to be gay while the voting was happening. They both "came out" after the show season ended. Aiken a few years after the fact. Did Aiken & Lambert decieve the public? They played it straight to try and win, even doing nights on the town with ladies on each arm for the paparazzi. The voters didn't "know"...and both played the "straight" card to try and win. Shame on them too!

April 2, 2010 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  169. BrianO

kinda stupid argument to to claim gay bias versus Adam Lambert & Clay Aiken in them being 2nd on American Idol. The true test is their album sales...and Clay Aiken hasn't outsold many of the other winners, and even finishers below 2nd. Adam Lambert's album is a bomb...sales way behind Chris Allen and others... stop the gay whining thing, its embarassing to both gay & straight people. Why is it when someone loses or doesn't do well at something, its always some kind of prejudice or bias? Shame on you!

April 2, 2010 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  170. Heather

The antagonism between Ryan and Simon makes me want to change the channel.

Kara was a mistake. Paula not returning was a bigger mistake.

Since the day I heard from friends that they tried voting for Clay and could not get through but Reuben still won I have been convinced the votes are a sham.

April 2, 2010 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  171. lmao

1. looks good on AI
    2. their biggest mistake was not keeping paula on
    3.other mistake was bringing ellen on
    4.i strongly beleive this show is rigged....way to many ??????? to be answered
    5.don't worry folks...Simon already has his eyes set on Crystal to make him money....so no point in watching it for the rest of the 9 weeks

last of all NOT getting rid of Kara is a bigggg mistake.........she really needs to go if they want to keep viewers

April 2, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  172. Faten

to be honest, I feel that with everyone playing instruments, the focus is less on the voice- the talent this season just seems so saturated. When they first introduced instruments, it was a great idea- but now there's not much left to the voice.

April 2, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  173. Karen

I've never been an Idol fan...but I enjoy DWTS. IMO, it's all a matter of personal preference and right now more people are preferring DWTS than Idol..next week could be an entirely different story.

April 2, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  174. Ginmill

Shut them both off and go read a book because they are both stupid. Ryan Seacrest is a celebrity wannabe uselss piece of dirt who is a terrible emcee.

DWTS is ridiculous, Bruno is ridiculous and so isn't the whole ridiculous dancing foxtrots and jives who cares

April 2, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  175. Kila

AI is bad because they picked stories over talent. It was a good show when there was talent.

And no one cares about people still whining about Adam (outsold by Kris Allen ) Lambert.

April 2, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  176. rod

I have been a faithful viewer from the start,but when they brought in a total novice who has no musical talent to judge these kids I gave up.Ellen has no right to judge singers and musicians.Another unmarried marriage counselor.

April 2, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  177. David

The reason that Idol isn't doing so well this season is because the majority of the singers are really bad. I'm sure the producers asked the judges to say that this was the best year yet. Unfoturnately it has been one of the worst seasons ever. There are only about 2 really good singers out of the 9 left.

April 2, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  178. Rodney in Dallas

Most people are saying this is because Adam Lambert didn't win. Sorry to say but what started this downhill ride was 3 seasons ago when Melinda Dolittle was ousted while two teenagers stayed. They lost a fan that day. I have not watched a single episode of Idol since then.

April 2, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  179. JT

I've been an avid Idol fan from the beginning, and this is the first year, I'm just not as excited to watch it. It's gone to my DVR queue. I think the loss of Paula compounded by less engaging singers this year has made the show less appealing to me. I love, love, love Ellen, but not on this show – I just feel she adds little to the criticism. And normally, one or two deserving acts don't make the final cut, but this year that problem was rampant, and less us with a less interesting talent pool. I feel bad for the talented singers that are left – they deserve more than this.

April 2, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  180. Tiffany

I agree with so many of the comments below. I love AI but it has lost its spark. I wonder how accuarte these rating systems are though, especially with things like DVRs and TIVO. I watch Both AI and DWTS and I know I'm not the only one so how does that get counted? Just curious.

April 2, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  181. JC

And when you consider Simon (the most important personality on the show) leaving after this year, I don't expect American Idol to last much longer.

April 2, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  182. Just A Thought

Adam Lambert probably would have won, had he kept his personnal life, personnal! But in the end – America was not gonna vote a gay as thier American Idol.

April 2, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  183. Just A Thought

Uh, Kara and Ellen are not leaving! They just signed Kara last year and Ellen just signed this year! They are not going anywhere. But, IMO, Simon leaving is just the final straw after Paula leaving last year. There's no chemistry left, so it's painful to watch and the lack of really good talent this year has not helped!

April 2, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  184. boocat

AI should disappear....enough of polluting the airwaves with mediocrity...it's a mean-spirited show. Guess it makes viewers feel better about themselves when someone is getting insulted on tv.

April 2, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  185. moon627

Its not the contestants ! There will always be amateur talent contests on TV. i'm pretty sure AI has just run its course ... host Ryan "full of himself" Seacrest and all the changeups with the judges sure doesnt help. It could have possibly gone longer if theyd just kept the original 3 but now with Kara and Ellen and Simon leaving we can say Hasta La Vista Baby!

April 2, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  186. Head Diva In Charge

Kara is REALLY hard to watch. And love her or hate her, DWTS pulled in the Mom next door that everyone loves to watch (and talk about). They have an interesting cast, and it's fun to watch!

April 2, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  187. Isay

Lousy talent, that's one of the reasons the rating is down. The judges' poor skills, that's the other reason. Did you notice that Randy Jackson says the same thing again and again, night after night. Kara is self centered. She thinks she owns the show after Paula left. Her ralationship with Simon makes me want to throw up. I miss Paula. Get rid of Kara!!!

April 2, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  188. re:didier

So you are just a "fat, dumb American" that reads about it? Oh, that makes you better....

April 2, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  189. Thierry

No!, It is not Kara fault. It is AI producers' fault.

Kara is talented and her comments are just right, and she shoot very straight. You may not like her style, but if it is to put the blame on someone, it must be on the right resources which have made the show jumped the shark!. It is now ATI (American teen idol instead of American Idol)!.

Regarding DWTS, its ratings are just above AI for the simple reason people like to see how stupid Kate Gosselin tried "horribly" to make a fool of herself. Again DWTS should be called as America's Funniest Aspiring Dancing Stars..

It is recommended to tape yourselves when you dance, when you sing, or just look at yourselves in the mirror to see how good you are, before going on stage and make a fool of yourselves to the detriment of the reputation of your family, your kids and your loved ones.

Are you ready to throw all those values for a moment of fame ?
    (knowing badly that you acted like a clown ?)

April 2, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  190. Didier

Let me get this straight. Close to 50 million viewers for both DWTS and Idol.

No wonder why America is a cultural backwater. What an embarrassment. My goodness, get off the couch, get some exercise, read a book, go to a museum, see a play, see a real film (i.e. not one where Tyler Perry or The Rock appears in the credits) ...

Fat dumb Americans.

April 2, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  191. GS

The problem is the judges (all 4 of them not just Kara or Ellen) picked a crappy top 24 which has resulted in an even worse top 10. The only person left whose CD I would buy is Lee. Crystal is good but not my cup of tea so to speak. Kara is actually making more sense than Simon. He's ruining it by being in a snit all the time. If he doesn't want to be there fine, but for as much as he makes, he needs to give his all until the contract is up. And @Paul, the only cute blond who can sing country that won is Carrie. Kelly, Reuben, Fantasia, Carrie, Taylor, Jordin, David Cook, and Kris are the winners. Where is another blond country singer in that group??

April 2, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  192. Omaha Reader

I am not surprise at all... This season is so boring... Last season was really good. I guess gotta have something to do with Adam Lambert...

April 2, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  193. Eric in Atlanta

I agree....this show has run it's course! The talent is not there this year and the judges are getting boring. I flip channels now when idol is on.

April 2, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  194. sheryl

yeah, Kara is simply horrible! she ruined the show! I used to watch the show religiously, but I stopped following it this season after they picked the top 24. It's gotten really bad, and Simon must know it, which is why he is leaving. A true sinking ship!

April 2, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  195. Paul

All shows have a life span. AI is reaching its. Seems that if there is a cute blond girl that can sing country half good, she's the winner. Easy to sell those records, they all sound the same.

The original talent is much harder for the producers to take that chance of letting them win. If you're gay, forget it about winning. Clay, Adam, 2nd place.

Judges make some impact on the show, but if they started making this more of a talent show than a popularity contest and stop the "human interest BS", maybe it can life a few more years.

Otherwise it is only a vehicle to sell Fords and Coca-Cola.

April 2, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  196. Trish

It`s Kara,plain and simple.She is not wanted or accepted.Ratings will continue to drop.They don`t listen to the people.

April 2, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  197. addie smith

i saw this coming when adam lambert did not win. what an injustice,.every one stated they were through with idol. this year the talent is horrible with the exception of a few. kara is a total fake, with flashing of her eyes and hanging all over simon and a wanna be paula. boooo.

April 2, 2010 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |