April 2nd, 2010

Didi Benami opens up about the future, Cowell

Getting the boot from "American Idol" must be tough for any aspiring singer.  One day you're pursuing your dream, singing in front of millions on television's highest rated show (well, not the last few weeks... "Dancing With The Stars" has tangoed its way past "Idol" in the ratings) - and then it's over, done, kaput,  at least for a majority of "Idol" hopefuls.  Jennifer Hudson and Chris Daughtry are doing well these days.

It's too early to tell what the future may hold for 23-year-old singer Didi Benami, the lastest contestant to be voted off the singing competition.  In an interview with CNN on Friday, she said she was expecting to be eliminated but "it's still kind of tough."

"I had a feeling. I knew it wasn't my best performance, so I was ready just in case," Benami said.  "I didn't really expect to go so early in the whole scheme of things."

Benami, who says she was living out of her car and keeping her belongings in trash bags before her big break on Idol, said she was very emotional after Wednesday's program.  After the broadcast, Benami said she was showered with hugs from the judges and encouraging words - except from Simon:

"I do remember Simon saying, 'that's what happens when you pick the wrong song.'  That was the last thing he said to me, which really kind of hurt. I was like, really?"

"Simon gave me a hug, but it just sucked for him to say that at the end. "

Apparently the acerbic judge's harsh comments continue when the cameras are off.

But like any up-and-coming performer whose had to overcome adversity, Benami is looking towards the future, and the "American Idol" Top 10 Tour this summer.

"I'll have a little break to get a chance to work on my music... and I still get to go on tour and that's so amazing!"

1. Common Cents

Simon was correct and also trying to give her a compliment in his own way. If you notice he didn't say she lacked talent. He was merely telling her she had the talent to make it but lacked the direction

April 6, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  2. nessa99

A-fan: Didi wasnt crying due to a break up- (she told the judges in her audition) That one of her best friends died in a car accident recently, which was the whole reason why she tried out for AI because her friend that passed away was always telling her to and she never did..

I completely understand why this would make her emotional!

alll of you people are so insesitive about her "whining" and it makes me mad. She is a great singer andi cant wait to buy her album!! i loved her from the beggining!

April 6, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Noreen Martin

Simon Cowell is a world-class jerk!

April 6, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. A-fan

Didi Benami is HOT!! To bad for the loser that broke her heart. ( She deserves better) She has a unique style to her singing and voice – I enjoyed it.
    Although, at only 23 she has her life ahead of her to persue her own passions – and follow her own dreams including singing or whatever else she decides to do as a career or passion. GO Didi – you rock !!
    May you follow you rpassions wherever your heart leads you and once you get there, you will know truly how right it is for you. Best of luck in ALL of your endevors...

April 6, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Roy E. Perry

Who cares if Didi can sing? She's gorgeous!

April 6, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Nick

Who cares if she can't sing. She was smoking hot. Should have won the whole thing

April 6, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jason

To the comment from Lauren...."Adam Lambert set the bar so high last season it's going to be hard to find someone so talented."

Honey, If you think Adam Lambert set the bar so high you are totally clueless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 6, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  8. zephyrhinds

Didi was one of the absolute worst singers ever.. She has no personality and lisening to her sing is painful. A really stupid and silly style. She would never have made it in show business if she could have sung. She is too thin skinned, show business is for the tough. She's a crybaby.

April 6, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  9. toddt

didi can just give playboy a call, she do just fine.....

April 6, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  10. Beth

Didi has a unique voice. With a little direction from a good mentor, she may surprise us all.

April 6, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  11. Merry

Simon has a 6th sense – Arrogant, but part of the package – The contestants should listen more carefully.

April 6, 2010 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  12. Merry

#1-Crystal #2-Casey #3-Lee

April 6, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  13. NYer

SIOBHAN will win !!!!!!!!!!

April 6, 2010 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  14. David

I think the big issue is the song choices both for group songs and for the individual songs has been bad. Even great songs have been killed this year by the lack of making the songs there own. Diddy was trying to push how importent it is to connect and entertain. Sadly most of the AI's this year don't get it.

April 6, 2010 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  15. Lolaloo

I thought Didi was great....and so sorry to see her go. This season is very "indy" and has a different mood then previous. I feel they are all unique and very good. Who needs the Adam's anymore? It's so much more honest now.

Only issue: Kara and Simon....get a room already....it's really tacky how they act!!

April 6, 2010 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  16. Tim L

it will be crystal and big mike in the final two 3 will go to casey

April 6, 2010 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
  17. dmarie

The WORST Idol season ever. They got rid of Paula and things just went downhill. They never should have added a 4th judge. Yes DAVID COOK is the best besides Carrie Underwood. I think things went wrong when they added those guest judges. Ellen is not a good judge. She knows
    nothing about music.

And Yes Crystal is about the only one on there worth watching and I do believe she is for real and not a fake like Big Mike. I do hope he does not win.

April 6, 2010 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
  18. Sam

How Didi Benami made it this far is beyond me. She thinks she is a whole lot better than she is.

I With a couple of exceptions, this season's talent is a big yawn. So much so, that I find it painful to watch or listen to, so I don't anymore. That is a shame because I love music and love to hear new talent...at least when its good.

April 6, 2010 at 6:53 am | Report abuse |
  19. Hey Dude!

Hey Lisa, I'm kinda cool with most of what you've said. Except that I like Crystal more than Lee, although I like Lee too. I certainly agree that all the other three judges (Randy, Ellen and Kara) say the same flat comments over and over again. Simon is more kinda 3D. Everyone eagerly awaits what he is gonna say at the end of every performance. Its believe he has this unique talent.

April 6, 2010 at 3:02 am | Report abuse |
  20. Ben Dover

Can a ni@@a get a table dance?!

April 5, 2010 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Lisa

Every year I get aggravated with who wins and claim I won't watch it again but then I forget, get bored with what's on TV in January and ultimately watch it again. I don't generally enjoy the tryouts and really just like the top 24 or so. I think the background stories about the singers they show every week give you more of a 'buy in' to them, and the show overall.

I agree that Adam should have won last year but I met Kris Allen at a local radio gig and he was genuinely good and a lot of fun to hear.
    I think it's wonderful that Chris Daughtry has done so well, considering he didn't even win. Carrie is great, obviously......and it's funny, some of the other winners – we never hear from! Although David Cook has always been an AI favorite of mine.

This year I really like Lee – he sounds like the lead singer of Hootie and the Blowfish to me – or perhaps Dave Matthews. I'm sure he doesn't want to 'sound like' anyone but it's better than the alternative I guess. I think Crystal is good but overrated. All I "hear" is Janis Joplin when I watch her perform. Casey is a doll, an amazing guitarist and a very good singer, but I don't think he has the best voice ever.

Siobhan has some good range in her voice but I do agree the screaming makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end. Katie, who is from the state I live in, is decent but certainly not a stand out, and has a subtle smugness that bugs me.

Big Mike bores me (sorry). Aaron, ugh – come back in a couple years maybe.

I'll keep watching....however, I agree that once Simon is gone we won't hear any realistic critiques anymore. Randy is a total waste and says the same thing over and over – he sounds like an idiot. Ellen, who I was initially excited about, has turned out to be a dud who contributes little. Kara is a seat filler who makes no sense. Just have Simon there. Done!

April 5, 2010 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  22. E.R.

Kicking someone while they're down, nice! I for one can not wait for Simon to leave American Idol. I am seriously tired of this pompous ass and his temper tantrums.

April 5, 2010 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  23. L.

Worse Idol season ever! I don't think I can watch the rest of it.

April 5, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Michael_Newman

Anyone who is living out there car with trash bags for luggage has other things on their mind, like "What song should I choose to make me feel good?" instead of taking notes (like a college student should) and making the advice of the judges show in her study and performance. And then for her final goodbye song, she chose Fleetwood Mac instead of improving on what she did.

April 5, 2010 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  25. No Fooled

Bring back Tatriana...LOL Worst group yet...shen may have a chance! ROFLOL

April 5, 2010 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Chester Todd

Sorry Simon isn’t always right remember Jennifer?

April 5, 2010 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  27. JS

Hardly any talent this year.... I have stopped watching Idol... waste of time...

April 5, 2010 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Beth

Any song would have been bad if Didi was singing it...she doesn't have a good voice!!!!

April 5, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  29. JC

Didi is a pretty good singer. She just (for some reason I don't know) went the wrong way and ended up giving a couple of poor performances. I doubt she will have much of a career, but she is still a better singer than 99.9% of us. She is still going on tour and that may open up some potential doors for her.

I don't think this is the worst season ever. Season 6 was worse. This is probably the 2nd worst season I have seen though.

April 5, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  30. moosey

She was an ok singer but she did make poor song choices. They had been telling her that for a while but she either didn't want to listen or bit too much to chew. Her personality was very shy and she took on some really big songs( that she wasn't quite ready for). as for simon's comments- that's who he is and sugar coating it isn't going to help her or any of the other contestants. He knows how to get the best out of people- both in studio and live performance. good luck to her.

April 5, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Jim Dandy

Good Lord AI blows this year. Snaggle toothed unfit wenches. That 16 year old has the body of a grandmother. Definitely the bottom of the barrel as far as looks and talent go. Wow.

April 5, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  32. odysseus14

She's super hot though. What a beautiful woman!

April 5, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  33. moon627

What a bunch of whiners ! Doesnt anyone know how to spell loser ? Its not Looser unless you are loose as a goose.

And this is NOT the worst ever AI – i can think of many past singers and winners who were worse (remember gagging down Taylor Hicks ?! )

Bonjiovi – you are right on ! The best are Crystal and Lee

Grace – "We" would rather not see past idols – speak for yourself !

Roscoe – its true – its not really a singing contest – but you are so funny ! LOL

April 5, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Abby

Wrong song, and your more than likely gone. When Didi sang "What Becomes of the Brokenhearted" it was obvious it was the wrong choice. Maybe if it had been more upbeat, but the slowness of the song did not work at all. No big surprise that she's the third girl to leave in a row.

April 5, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Katie

I for one really liked Didi. Sure, not all of her song choices were the best, but I thought she had something very unique about her voice and I will be one of the first in line to buy her album when it comes out. I love that she doesn't sound like everyone else, and she's not a pop singer! I'm not sure Idol was the best forum for her talents, but it got her name out there and I'm sure the exposure will help her a great deal.

She does need to toughen up a little bit, but honestly I thought she handled all of the criticism MUCH better than most people would. Didi, keep on truckin – I can't wait for your album!

April 5, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Richard

As a singer, this girl is right up there with Kathie Lee Gifford - pretty, with a pleasant voice, and absolutely no idea how to sing. She shoudl restrict her future singing to a church choir, not making records.

April 5, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  37. It Paynes Me, Sandy

'worst season ever' 'they all suck' 'Didi should just do something else'...

Sheesh. The deaf continue to rule the blogs, I see.

April 5, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Krow

Someone singing a pop tune is hardly an 'artist'.

April 5, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  39. hoaxusa

You can't set Adam Lambert as the bar. His voice sucked unless you like screaming. Lambert was even the most disgusting so called singer I have ever seen. Even that idiot Tim Urban is better.
    Didi shouldn't have left until this week. Urban should have gone, he is so annoying I have to switch channels just like when Lambert was on.

April 5, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  40. John Verco

How about just bringing back American Bandstand, making it a primetime show, and calling it a day? I'll never forget the day I saw Blondie's debut on American Bandstand. Now that was a real band!

Not to mention...THE BEATLES!!!

Time for some real music to come back into popularity.

April 5, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  41. getttes

didi will def be missed :( tim should have been the one to have gone. (like a really long time ago!!!)

April 5, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Dave

There are a number of reasons people buy music and concert tickets... and talent is only one of them. If it were the only reason, the AI final would be Crystal and Casey. (With Casey winning!) jmho

April 5, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Mary Ann

Loved Didi – she had a specal something in her voice but unfortunately I don't think she was AL material. She will definitely make it as a singer but FIRST she must get her emotions in control or she will have a nervous breakdown – the business is tough and she needs a thick skin to survive. Good luck Didi loved your singing.

April 5, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Virginia

I stopped watching several weeks ago. Until now, I have watched every show in past years. None of the singers appealed to me.

April 5, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  45. Reality Bites

Folks, time to move on. AI looks at 10's of thousands.......talent is depleted,...judges are delpleted........Ellen really?! Kara?!
    Both should move to daytime ,kid's show programming. I don't blame Simon for moving on........the show is in the twilight of a mediocre run. With the exception of Kelly C, Carrie U and non winner Chris D. the show really hasn't produced much. Let's get to American Hobo's or more Stupid Pet Tricks already.......

April 5, 2010 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  46. cocobear

didi has a great voice for country. that break in her voice is perfect. she should go to nashville. she should listen to iris dement or someone like that. loved her.

April 5, 2010 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  47. bisuteria

Muy buen articulo, comparto, la opinión del Sr. Daine..
    Y a mi parecer Didi Benami..tiene una excelente voz y va a llegar muy lejos recordemos que tan solo tiene 23 años de edad.
    Saludos desde Venezuela en http://tubisuteria.com.ve

April 5, 2010 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  48. Pat

The winner will be either Crystal or Siobahn. The last 2 years were guys. It's too early to tell for sure. I'm thinking Siobhan wins & shocks us all when Crystal doesn't. Typical Idol. Ellen needs to go, she adds zip to the panel. Kara needs to stop flirting with Simon, that's been done before. Lame. And Ryan needs to medicate, he was over the top last week!

April 5, 2010 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  49. Diane

I think Didi has a beautiful & unique voice. I just think her song choices in the beginning were much better than they were in the end. She started taking too many risks and wasn't listening to the judges. I hope she learns from it and is able to have a successful career someday...

April 5, 2010 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  50. mj

This show is a farce. Listen people, a friend of my parent's daughter auditioned and made it to the end. The "Hollywood Week" that they show? FAKE. You are NOT told by Simon, Randy, Kara that you are going to Hollywood. They film that later. Anyway, she made it to the point where you go home or go to Hollywood and the PRODUCERS told her she had an AMAZING voice but she sounds too much like Jordin Sparks and she just won. They also said to her the song picked for the finale is for a "white female", and since she is of "mixed race" it wouldn't work. They told her to come back and audition in a couple of years. She told them to shove it. This show is FAKE, it is RIGGED, they will pick WHO THEY WANT to win. The voting is FAKE people. What a waste.

April 5, 2010 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
  51. Fitzwilly56

PS–Just because Didi lived in a car for awhile, does not mean she should be the winner or even a contestanton AI. I'm tired of the sob stories...this is a singing contest which means they should be judged on singing talent, stage presence and ability to entertain.

April 5, 2010 at 5:52 am | Report abuse |
  52. Fitzwilly56

I don't think its the "worst season ever."
    I think there are 6 who are very good–Michael, Crystal, Lee, Casey, Siobhan and Aaron in about that order.
    Adam Lambert was robbed of the first place spot on the show last season–fortunately, it didn't hurt him any.
    Didi needed to go, Lily should have stayed.
    Simon is usually right, but sometimes a bit harsh.
    Ellen annoys me, as do Randy and Kara.
    I don't miss Paula.

April 5, 2010 at 5:49 am | Report abuse |
  53. Sha

My vote is for Crystal, but I admire Didi for her strength, courage, and conviction, to get up there and sing before 20 million viewers, and still stand on her own two feet after being , like musical chairs,

April 5, 2010 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
  54. Dale Blackstock

I agree with Thierry (I hope I spelled that correctly) about Lilly. I really enjoyed her vocalizations and her voice was so unique. I really thought she would go a lot further than she did.

I like Crystal and Casey. I liked Crystal from the beginning.

However, I also have to agree with many that this year's group is not as talented as in the past, but there are some good singers.

I don't understand why Adam didn't win last year. I never hear anything about the winnder, Chris, except he is doing the Ford commercials. Did he ever release a CD? I didn't know it, if he did.

I'll continue to watch to the end, but not sure about in future seasons. Ellen is funny; however, she does not add that much to critique. Personally, I think Kara and Simon have the real critiques. They really tell it like it is.

Just my 10 cents. I wrote too much for only two cents. :)

April 4, 2010 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Rich

Didi, consider yourself super blessed because your singing skills were truly not very good.

April 4, 2010 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Bonnie R

This is one of the most boring seasons ever. Adam Lambert was so stunning last season–this season has no one even close to his talent. I am afraid this will be the last year I will have any inclination to watch. As it is I put the episode on Tivo and run through it in about 15 minutes–something I would never have done last year or the years prior.

April 4, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  57. NotToneDeaf

This has to be the weakest group ever. Aside from Crystal Bowersox and Siobhan Magnus, there isn't a potential star there. A couple of the others have had a good week now and again, but there were contestants who did not make it through Hollywood week that should have been in the Top 12, like Lilly Scott. Oh well, what do I know?

April 4, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Roscoe

The show is called American IDOL! Not American Voice, not American Singer. It's about the whole package! Therefore, casey and Tim will be in the final because they have the biggest packages!

April 4, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Don McPhail

I think most as I belive that Crystal is the best this year by far. Than it is a toss up for the next 3 or 4 and the rest should be local karaoke shows at best. But Crystal is the real deal and will do well with a deebut album.

Yes I also think the comment about reinventing the show and opening it up to 30 and above would be great. I than would have a shot.

April 4, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Judy

I'm just thinking out loud here, but it looks like Simon hopes this is a lousey season, so people will be put out with AI and turn to his X Factor next year.

April 4, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  61. ED

I agrere, worst talent on this show ever... Let's judge the Judges for picking this bunch... Yo yo check it out dawg, love ya man but you screwed up, picked the wrong people, little pitchy in your choices dawg.. Hey Simon, YOU F'D UP... Select another 10 will ya, these 10 blow dead bear

April 4, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  62. Ginmill

tough it up girl its a tough business if a little comment from Cowell throws you will won't get far. And you aren't that great a singer so be grateful anyone knows your name. I hate whiners on these shows. They get a chance some very talented people never get and they whine whine because they just arent' that special.

There is one person who is AWESOME this year and that is MamaSox. Big Mike and Lee are pretty good but can't beat Christal. She should win but we all know this is a popularity contest and if the judges compliment her too much the haters will vote against her just to show them. This world has gone crazy.

April 4, 2010 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  63. Dr. Mabuse

The sad thing is that some of these talentless singers who are in the Top 10, but who will be voted off, could have careers warbling their songs. Benami, Urban, and Siobhan will get modest careers based only on their looks while real singers who are busting their buts in the real world and WHO REALLY ARE TALENTED will never achieve the fame they will.

Next to go: Tim Urban. He's awful.

April 4, 2010 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
  64. Grace

This season is the worst. The seventh was the best. Bring back David Archuleta, Carrie Underwood, Brooke White, Carly Smithson. We'd rather see past idols than new performers, please!

April 4, 2010 at 4:49 am | Report abuse |
  65. Dan

The fairy tale of living in a car, ant then making it to idol is a great story. It's great that she has had some enjoyment in her life - she deserves it.

However, the pupose of AI is to find the best singer. That poses a huge problem for Didi - she is not good enough. Yes, she can sing, but so can thousands of other people. She is not American Idol material Simon was, and usually is, spot on.

April 4, 2010 at 2:29 am | Report abuse |
  66. bonjiovi

Crystal and Lee are the best this year,Especially Lee, who sounds so very much like the singer from "Kings of Leon"...Simon hit the nail on the head about Lee and that something that has affected him personally to be so reserved as a personality.Maybe Simon has talked to him(Lee) and knows something and in his comment after Lees performance this week put a light on Lee"s problem for us to see without letting us know too much.Idol though has reached its end ,like all great shows.They need to go away for a couple of yrs,comeback and then reinvent themselves.Have older singers would be better.No one younger than 30 would help

April 4, 2010 at 2:24 am | Report abuse |
  67. RC

>>>BTW, don't dismiss Siobhan. She is an amazing talent- trying too hard at times and still finding her way as an artist. But, she does have a voice, which most of the finalists do not!<<<

Siobhan needs to stop the horrific screaming in every song. I knew the first time she did that, and Kara went on and on about how awesome it was, we were about to be subjected to it non-stop every time she got on stage. It was awful when Lambert did it last year, and it sounds awful now. GET HER OUT OF THERE TOO PLEASE! THANKS!!

April 3, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Head Diva In Charge

There is some talent here, I wouldn't exactly go as far as to call them "loosers", but Didi wasn't part of that talent pool. She is good as some songs but not all. I think that after Tim Urban goes home we will have a real contest.

April 3, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Bob

I thought Didi was great. I tried to vote for her but the lines were always busy. I think there were a lot of people that tried to vote for her but for some reason were blocked. I think she can make it as a singer and I hope she does. To all you people that disagree, well, you're wrong.

April 3, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Cyndy Violette

Yes ~ Simon is is definetly HONEST ... I love some of his comments .
    He Cracks me up .!!!

You can tell he does not care for shibhon at ALL .

And He Really Loves Crystal .:)

I like what he said to her last week , I was afraid that Crystal was starting to get away from her own style too. So I am really glad he said that .

She is so AWESOME . I would buy her music for sure .
    I keep on watching her u tube videos over and over now .

April 3, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Beverly Murphy

Simon is probably the most honest of all the judges and tells it the way it REALLY is. I also agree that there are about 3 or 4 that I can see that are really talented and the rest can go.
    Just look at some of these people and think: Would I buy their albums?
    Dee Dee, u cry too much, and you should have been singing something we would want to hear! We were so glad that your song was OVER.

April 3, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  72. sal Rodriguez

From the way he is acting on the show Mike Lynch [ big Mike ] thinks he has it in the bag. He is arrogant and a show off.

April 3, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Cyndy Violette

Thanks for your Crystal comments !!!!

Yes, I agree too .. Didi just lost her self .. She is actually good when she plays the guitar and does more of those song writer type songs .
    She had many chances to redeem herself .......
    She just needs some polishing and direction , she seems like a REALLY SWEET girl.

yes and Soiobhan does have a great voice .. I am not crazy about her tho.
    I think Big Mike is ok ... nothing special .
    Lee is very good .. just lacks confidence and needs to let go !!
    Casey is good too.
    Andrew is too inconsistent ... ...... not a fan .

April 3, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Sharon Lee

Didi was certainly one of the most interesting vocalists in this relatively dull year. But, I agree with Simon. She got somewhat lost in this contest. Aside from Crystal, I often wonder if the judges are hearing the same thing I am (and I'm a professional)! I do go along with the comments about Crystal. She's in a class by herself.

Again, I'm hoping this doesn't discourage Didi from trying to make it. She has something special that should be nurtured.

April 3, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Cyndy Violette

This is the first season that i have watched it . So I really don't have anything to compare it to.
    I am really enjoying it ~ I love it !
    I love all the judges comments ... Simon is always Right on ,and Kara has some really good insight too.Randy and Ellen are great t too. They all have there place ,I think it's a good MIX.
    I don't know if i would be that interested if it wasn't for Crystal.
    Plus, I have a pretty good wager on her at over 4 to 1 odds !!!!!!
    I really hope she wins !!!! she deserves it ~ she seems like she is really down to earth too. :)

April 3, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  76. DTNY

For sure, only about 4 talented kids this year. This year is boring and awful. Didi wasn't great, and no big surprise. Crystal, Lee, and maybe Casey, Big Mike for top 4. No one I know is still even watching.

April 3, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  77. Becca

Let's get real. There are maybe 1-4 contestants this year who have any chance of a singing career–Crystal (who is in a class by herself), Mike, Casey, and maybe Lee. The rest are so mediocre they are almost painful to listen to. I wouldn't go to a show on the Live Tour this year for free. Don't know what happened this year, but with Simon leaving and the poor talent this year, I won't be watching next year.

April 3, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  78. zephyrhinds

I was surprised the judges didn't run her off when she auditioned. It is amazing the number of people who think they can sing.
    Crystal is by far the best, Ellen is a terrible judge. She says strange things, most make no sense. She hasn't a clue as to what she is doing.

April 3, 2010 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  79. sue

I agree. Crystal is the best, and should win; but the way people vote- I wouldn't count on it.

April 3, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  80. Cyndy Violette

I was just reading all your comments and I haven't heard any comments
    about Crystal . OMG !!!!!
    She is AMAZING !!!!! I LOVE HER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I agree there isnt' much talent this year , I feel like Crystal is in on a whole other LEVEL !!!!!!
    Curious to read your comments on this .......

April 3, 2010 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  81. Chuck St. John

What's funny here is that if most of the those posting here where reading their comments in a public forum (or on a special Idol for this purpose...new idea!), then you'd surely hear a lot of boos. Not so much for the opinions expressed. I think most, if not all folks here, have their heartfelt likes and dislikes which are perfectly fine. I think what's awful here is the tone. Not so surprising when you see what those in the political business are doing.

If we had to put one's real name, picture and address up with some of these ignorant and nasty hurtful comments, I think all this ugliness would come to a screeching halt. It's takes intelligence to critique. Any idiot can rant.

April 3, 2010 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  82. Didi fan

Didi was right when she said that,why don't you people think about Katie,Tim,Andrew .And Casey,he will stay long in AI,just because there's lots of deaf fans like him. And Big Mike,I have no comment 'bout him,if you want to complain about the emotional things in AI,he's the one.And Aaron Kelly,an ugly teenager,the youngest idol... and the worst.Survived weeks through weeks because of the votes of some crazy teengirls. I don't know what you people think,but Didi's good and always be.BG,she don't have lots of "fanboyz who thought she was hot",and beside,she was voted off because of some people think that she's like Brook White or Megan Joy.If she's in the AI8 instead of AI9,things will be changed!!!Or if you want to compare Lilly with someone,Katie is the right idol 4 u guys.
    PS:Katelyn was right,there's only teengirls and housewives watch this show now.

April 3, 2010 at 3:46 am | Report abuse |
  83. BG

Didi survived this long because of the fanboyz who thought she was hot. Lily Scott has more talent in her pinkie than Didi, but wasn't seen as a "babe", was too out there, and frankly, too real.

This IS the worst group I have ever seen on Idol, and my wife and I have watched it from the beginning. I will grant that after Adam Lambert, it is a very high bar. But still, even Adam is just a very good entertainer, not a legend, at least not yet. Hard to believe there aren't lots of others with great voices who could shine. This season, nada.

And I blame the judges. They picked these people. They got it wrong. Big time. And the judging chemistry sucks. Simon leaving is the death knell of the show, but frankly, he is just mailing it in this season and laughing all the way to the bank. Time for AI to go. At least for me. I have stopped watching, will never watch again. Fun while it lasted though.

April 3, 2010 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
  84. Gian

C'mon guys do you know music at all???...This girl has a great voice, not a winner definitely...but surely deserved to be top 10...And Andrew not only has a great voice but same as Didi, has great style...thing s they are just not your type of singers, but grow up and face that there are other kind of people and other kind of music that the junk you listen to...

I wish her the best and hope she puts something in the market because in me, my family and friends she has lots of fans...

April 3, 2010 at 1:54 am | Report abuse |
  85. Josh

didi was an amazing singer, she just would sometimes pick the wrong song for her, i loved when she sang terrified and Rhiannon and i think all you people that are saying she doesnt have a good voice have a absolutly no idea what your talking about, if she didnt have a good voice the judges wouldnt of put her n the top 24 n she wouldnt of made it from the top 24 to the top 8 by fans if she didnt have a voice

April 3, 2010 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
  86. Mary Atwood

I think many of you are wrong about the talent on AI this year. Crystal is amazing and equal to Adam Lambert or Carrie Underwood. She just blows me away with her natural talent. I also think the 16 yr old Aaron is extremely talented and I know we will see him in a couple of years. Crystal will be chosen the IDOL this year is my prediction and Bless all of the IDOLs for their courage and hard work. I salute all of them.

April 3, 2010 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
  87. Trish

Have to agree; Didi needed to go! Listening to her was about as exciting as watching paint dry.

This is indeed a dissapointing season. You just can't compare to Adam Lambert, theres just no star power this year. Siobbhan is trying to do a female Adam impression but it just comes off as trying too hard. For me there are no real stand outs this year.

April 2, 2010 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  88. x-rev

Seems to me that every year we read the same comments... "Worst season ever... no talent... I wouldn't buy any of their cd's" And yet by the end of the season these same people will be crying foul because the best singer in the world is not getting their due respect. So some of you may want to be careful about what you say now... it has a way of coming back and biting you in the rear. BTW. I have always thought Simon is dead on in his comments. He will be missed for certain next year.

April 2, 2010 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  89. PAC

I rather listen to Didi than any of the "talent" AI has been showing lately.
    Miley Cyrus, Kesha, Diddy, Justin Beiber etc ....

Looking forward to seeing her again on the final show.

Hopefully good things are in store for her. If she puts out any music I will purchase it.

At least she got some exposure and gets to go on tour and I wish her the best intentions for whatever she does.

April 2, 2010 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Caryl Jade (in New Zealand)

This young woman is inspirational. Having lived in her car and then to American Idol, what a journey. She is beautiful and talented and deserves a successful singing career.

April 2, 2010 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  91. TBJ Fan

Come on Max.... If you really believe Didi can sing, you're tone deaf and I'm glad you're not one of the judges!
    Speaking of judges, what the hell is Ellen doing on this panel. She tries to be cute and clever while repeating everything Randy says! Does she have any music ability or background to draw on?

April 2, 2010 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Lauren

By the way Didi should have been gone before this – every song she sings sounds alike, hate her singing style.

April 2, 2010 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Lauren

This season of Idol is the worst, no one stands out, none have any personality and Simon is always RIGHT the rest are like sheep, especially Ellen. There are perhaps 4 who could make it, but I believe the judges choose the wrong people this season. Adam Lambert set the bar so high last season it's going to be hard to find someone so talented. I find it boring and i switch between DWTS. (which by the way has some real loosers this season).

April 2, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Max White

Man, some of you people can be hurtful... I thought she is a very good singer and what's wrong with some emotion? People would love her for being a real person... and I like her story. She's beautiful too and with the right manager she would be a huge star.

Uh.... Justin Beiber? C'mon... really?

April 2, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  95. karuna

Didi is really terrible! Why does she think that she should not have been ousted? Another day of her singing will put me off AI forever. Thank god she's gone, although there are others who should also not be there, including the smiler and Garcia. One day does not make a lifetime for a good singer. Many still on the show are just terrible and it's time AI call it a day for it's going nowhere, but down the tubes.

April 2, 2010 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Thierry

Didi must consider herself very lucky to get that far. Simon was right in his comments. Just reviewing all the AI shows that Simon had given her constructive comments, Didi clearly had shown that she were not listening to him openly by stating that she can't hear him, probably one way to play deaf ears to a departing judge...And everybody can see that !

Didi seemed to side / rely on Ryan to get the sympathy of the voters..
    Well Didi, "if you want your own way, go your own way" (from the Fleetwood Mac)

Lilly Scott is more talented than her and was not lucky to get to the top 12. I am more concerned and still frustrated about that controversial outcome than to mourn Didi's departure.

There is nothing wrong for being an aspiring singer, but there is clearly a difference between an artist and a hobbyist. The best way to success is to know how to assess yourself honestly and take into consideration advices especially from professional resources. You must THANK SIMON for his remarks, instead of showing your tears all the time, to get sympathy. In art as in politics, when you do not deliver, you must accept the results and learn how to grow. DO NOT REPEAL .

(No hard feeling)

April 2, 2010 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  97. John Taylor

^^^^^ I agree. There are 4 somewhat talented singers on the show. The rest are laughable. What is particularly funny is that Didi "didn't expect to go so early in the scheme of things". Does she listen to the tapes back. She is one of the lamest singers to EVER come out of the Top12.

She needs to take vocal lessons. Or better yet, just do something else. Cause singing aint happening for her. Sorry. Time to grow up and face the music. Simon was dead on.

April 2, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  98. marshall

They are going to have a tour ? With these bunch of losers?????
    Worst AI ever – talent wise .

April 2, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |