March 31st, 2010

Usher to perform on 'Idol' elimination night

I am very much looking forward to Usher’s performance Wednesday night on “American Idol.”

This week’s guest mentor is scheduled to appear with his former mentor Diddy and his group Dirty Money. That should be fun.

Watch a discussion of Usher as an "Idol" mentor:

As for who is going home tonight, I have a sneaking suspicion that we'll be bidding adieu to the fair Didi Benami. She really was the worst of the lot this week.

Who is your call to fall at the elimination?

After we find out who gets eliminated, head over to iReport to submit your question for the unlucky contestant.

Join CNN tonight and throughout the "American Idol" season as Lisa Respers France blogs live during the performance and result shows.

1. Jason

Usher's performance is tied with Kesha for the worst Idol performance ever. Oh My Gosh that was horrible singing, and awkward dancing. It reminded me of my drunken uncle dancing at my cousins wedding, while trying to rap or something. It was just embarassing to see/hear that, and then look over at the 1 Usher album I had in my collection- which is in the garbage as of last night. If that's what he calls "music", then I want no part of him, or his albums. Someone needs to remind his record label that it's never too late to drop an artist.

April 1, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Just A Thought

Go Tim, anyone that can laugh at the judges the way he does and get away with it simply because they have no choice is awesome! Maybe he's just laughing at his situation and enjoying the ride as he says – either way it's pretty funny! Now he has officially made it past Sanjiya's previous run!

April 1, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. jay

I too wondered why Usher sang that song. It was one of his weakest.
    Diddy did great.

April 1, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  4. mpgurly04

I loved usher but I was shocked that he performed this song, I thought he would of sang his new song out on the radio "daddy's home." Even though he is a great performing and did well!

April 1, 2010 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  5. mozart4898

I don't think Didi will be leaving tonight. She would be deserving but I think either Andrew or Tim will be going, both of whom outperformed her. Wouldn't actually be surprised if Didi isn't even bottom 3.

Ruben sounds good too...thing is, first time I've really heard him since season 2. Clay made it much bigger than he did – just goes to show that the winner doesn't always end up the best off. Interesting to hear that Ruben and Clay are going to be going out on tour together...

March 31, 2010 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  6. protogere

Oh I am still counting on Tim or Katie to go home but I fear it may be Andrew – despite how much I loved his performance I know a lot of people have thought it was a poor performance.

March 31, 2010 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  7. chris ford

Part of the backstory is that producers may have urged Siobhan to take on "Through the Fire" – a song that even Chaka Khan has had problems with performing well, live. Could any other contestant even try it – no. Out of their range.
    The Siobhan dilemma is that she has wild talent, and has no choice to push it to get better and develop – but taking on the most challenging stuff that can really showcase her and launch a career also comes with the risk of crash and burns. Its where she is – has to take the risks, has to accept that she will fail sometimes. I hope the fans understand this. It would be a shame to see her leave too soon.
    Agree that she has to listen about the screaming.

Casey is also a person I pick for a significant career. Looks, decent voice, and a stunningly good instrumentalist.

And Crystal looks like the winner of the show, but I predict that Casey will be more marketable.
    And perhaps Siobhan will become as Usher said she has a true shot at – a significant artist.

March 31, 2010 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  8. moon627

I am not a fan of Usher – i wouldnt know one of his songs if i heard it – but then Soul music is not my thing.

Thierry:
    i agree – Lilly should not have been voted off – that sucked !
    ...but i dont agree that Siobhan should go – she can be good if she quits the screaming.
    ...but Didi can go anytime – in fact she should have gone already !

In a perfect world Lee and Crystal will be the last ones standing.

March 31, 2010 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Pamela

Oh dear god in heaven for the love of all that is holy please let it be Teflon Tim getting the boot my ears & eyes can't take anymore!!!!!!!

March 31, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  10. J Patrick Aaron

See ya, Didi!

March 31, 2010 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Thierry

No hard feeling, but either Didi or Siobahn need to go in exchange for Lilly Scott to come back. Judges must be given the power to jiggle with contestants number, i.e send two home and bring back one.
    As to TIM, We must agree with Simon remark. "No matter what we said, they gonna vote for him!!!", Looks like TIM got immunity since he sang Hallelujah!.
    Siobahn, please stop screaaaaaming....it kills my ears...

March 31, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |