March 31st, 2010

TV Recap: Disappointment on 'Parenthood'

There was a lot of disappointment running through this episode of "Parenthood." Parents disappointed in kids, sisters disappointed in brothers. It was painful to see some of it, but I wasn't disappointed in the episode. I especially liked that they skipped the huge heart-warming family gathering at the end of the show.

Sarah is at school for parent night. A parent notices her "Braverman" name tag, and starts going on and on about Haddie. When she tells him Haddie's her niece and Amber is her daughter, there's a moment of awkward "oh you're HER mother" silence.

Sarah runs out for nicotine gum and runs into Amber's English teacher (played by the late John Ritter's son, Jason). He says Amber is one of his best students, pleasantly surprising Sarah. Imagine her surprise when she discovers the paper the teacher raved about was actually her paper from high school. She was going to rat out her own daughter, but Mr. Sears raved so much about Amber and the paper, she changes her mind.

At the grocery store Adam and Kristina run into the new baseball coach. Surprisingly, Max agrees to rejoin the team. Adam can't get Max interested in practicing, but Sarah's son Drew can get his little cousin to do it.

In a nice scene, Drew calls Adam to ask about going to hit a few. Later, in a not-so-nice scene, Adam has to cancel a practice to keep a promise he made to Max. Drew is very disappointed. When Sarah finds out, she rips into Adam for making Drew wait, when he's spent his whole life waiting for his father who rarely showed up. Adam talks about how disappointed he was he didn't get a chance to practice with Drew. Drew's the one who got Max out to the field and there it's almost like there is no "situation" with Max's Asperger's.

Crosby and his girlfriend Katie are at the doctor talking about fertility. The doctor thinks they should get started trying, given her age. Crosby looks more terrified than usual. Back at the house, Julia is trying to get Crosby to get a paternity test for Jabbar. He goes to his Jasmine to talk about it and she is more than a little offended, and cancels his day with Jabbar. Sarah convinces him to do the right thing, and he finally tells Katie about Jabbar. I can't tell if she's more disappointed he kept a secret in general or that he didn't introduce her to Jabbar that day at the studio.

He is trying to grow up and make the right choices, even if he is making some missteps. Big ones, like using the word "psycho" when talking about how much Katie wants a baby.

What do you think? How's he doing dealing with his ex, his girlfriend and being a parent? Let us know what you think!

1. djay

I like this show but I think they have too many characters and situations going on. I believe it's a good show that could be a great one if they didn't overwhelm you with story lines and characters in a one hour time slot. That being said, I think it's a nice change of pace to the idiotic reality shows that have taken over TV lately.

April 3, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Virginia

Great show! I love how each episode we get a little extra piece adding to the depth of each person. I hope it gets renewed!

April 1, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Real Dad

Love the show. As a parent I see my own faults and triumphs while reflecting on whats happening in the show. The acting, writing and directing are excellent. I love how they incorporate the younger children into the show each week. Max , Amber, Miles, Haddie and Sydney do an excellent job bringing their characters to life. Can anyone tell me where else I might see these children actors Amber, Miles, Haddie, Max and Sydney (other shows, episodes or movies)? Hope NBC keeps it going next season I beginning to become attached to this family. Just wish they would move it to an earlier time slot or even Sunday night so the whole family could watch it together. Keep up the good work by Howard, Glazer, Katims and Trilling!

April 1, 2010 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  4. Kimberly

Love it! Great acting, touching stories, deep characters. Hope this one lasts a long time.

March 31, 2010 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  5. dah

I LOVE THIS SHOW. It is so realistic and it shows how life can throw us a curve ball. I'm so tired of all the silly sitcoms and dumb reality shows. It is nice to have a real adult show that has me thinking and wanting to see more.

March 31, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Kelly

Love this show!!

March 31, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Brenda

About time there was something that the kids are actually in the show and they are not upstairs. I don't think people realize how hard it is to have kids because TV romantizes the whole thing but this program shows how really hard it is. The end result shows that it is worth it but it is not without problems.

March 31, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Judy

I love this show as much as I love "Brothers and Sisters". This show is more real in the way it deals with topics most of us have to deal with in our own lives. I hope this show sticks around.

March 31, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Elena

i love this show! It is one of the best shows on tv now. i love that they are educating people on Asperger's. a friend of mine's son has it.

March 31, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Los

I'm a big fan of the show. I saw the pilot a few weeks back and thought it'd be great to watch something wholesome with my gf. Great show. Hope to see plenty more of it.

March 31, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Danielle

Great show – one of the few that's compelling enough to stop what you're doing and watch.

March 31, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Dianne Bowman

What a wonderful show. I miss family shows. It is very realistic and I can personally relate to several situations going on on the program. I am an avid fan of Lauren Graham. She is the one thing that made me decide to give the show a try. I do hope it makes it through this preliminary period and will be back for more and more seasons to come. Though I like the realism of the show, the other side of the coin is I HATE REALITY SHOWS. They are anything but realistic. I wish they'd take all of them off the air. Good decision on NBC's part to give this show a chance.

March 31, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  13. allen urkowitz

Finally, an intelligently, believably written show dealing with real family problems, loves, hates etc. What took so long?

Fantastic that they're also dealing with Autism in a realistic way.
    Excellent acting, great writing, so refreshing!
    Allen

March 31, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Hockey Mom

LOVE THIS SHOW!! personally, I hope Crosby ends up with Jabbar's mom, not the "crazy" girlfriend!

March 31, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  15. peggy kerr

I love this show.It shows a family coming together to support each other. I hope it stays on. I am sick of who done it shows. Just a really good show that doesn't solve everyone problems by the end of the 60 minutes. It makes you come back each week. Good writing.

March 31, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  16. MichelleCap

My girlfriend and I looooove this show. I initially started watching it because I loved Lauren Graham on Gilmore Girls. We also like Modern Family, but I feel that Parenthood deals with issues in a more serious way – yet still keeps it light. When I watch the show, I feel like the script is totally believeable and the characters remind me of my own close but dysfunctional family. I hope this show stays on the air for many many seasons to come!!!!

March 31, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Beenz

This is a great show. Good writing, good acting, etc. Glad to see Lauren Graham and Peter Krause back on TV.. imagine that, a show with ACTORS – not pseudo-celebrities fumbling around trying to dance, or 30 idiot women fighing over a generic half-witted J-Crew-looking white guy (The Bachelor).

March 31, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Dani

As a Mom to an 8 year old with Asperger's – I like it. Overall I think it's been really true to the behavior our Aspie kids display - which is often confused for being naughty or a lack of discipline. Thanks for doing your homework NBC!

March 31, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  19. beth

My husband and I love this show. It shows real life issues and how families deal with them. We have a Max and have been through the teen years now with our older boys and the story lines are good. I hope the show makes it too. I have a big family and this is what it is like when we get together. it is that functional disfunction!

March 31, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Sonya

I love love love this show, i got a chance to catch up with it on demand and sat and watched the 1st 3 or 4 eps and i was glad i did, last night show was very good, i like how the had Crosby be honest with his now girlfriend, i don't like the chick who is making waves for the married lawyer and her family....

March 31, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Great Show

This show is fantastic. My wife and I rarely watch TV however we always make time to watch this show.

March 31, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  22. jensen mcguire

I LOVE this show! It is heart warming and also makes me miss my family who have mostly passed away. This show makes me grateful for the memories I have and is a nice change of pace on TV.

March 31, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Judy

I love this show also! I do have a large family, but it isn't like the one on the show; wish it was. I hope this goes on for another season.

March 31, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Erica

Every time I watch this show it makes me miss my family (I live a good 3000 miles away from them). I love that they have all the aspects of a real family and they all have great chemistry together.

March 31, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  25. Annie

I don't even have kids and I love this show! The acting is great and it's very realistic. It's nice to see a father who is human, not an idiot or superdad, just a dad who loves his kids.

March 31, 2010 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  26. bbe

YAWN, HO HUM, BORING. Just how much is NBC paying you?

March 31, 2010 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  27. Jon

Great show, I hope it continues on. Plus, Peter Krause is such a great actor, he was amazing in Six Feet Under and Sports Night.

March 31, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  28. Nanny

I love this show! This is the first show that I see regularly in a long time that is on one of the old networks. You can relate your life to it, in a way and overall, the way people react to life in this show is realistic. It's funny, it's touching, it's aggravating–it's parenthood.

March 31, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  29. BigFan

my husband and i are big fans of this show (and the movie); the storylines are very touching and makes me wish i had a bigger family. i hope this show will make it past this inaugural season...it's a such a refreshing break from all the crime and law shows out there!

March 31, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |