March 31st, 2010

Cutting it down to the 'Idol' 9

testing captions
testing captions

SPOILER ALERT!!! Tonight's blog entry will reveal the contestant being sent home from "American Idol." Don't read any further if you don't want to know the results.

9:58 p.m. – I wish they would stop pretending that the "judges save" is even an option at this point.

We very quickly learn that Didi must sing for her shot to stay, and she performs "Rhiannon." We get a shot of the judges whispering and smiling, and I wish they would just keep it real for once. They know they were not even deliberating!

Simon speaks for the judges, and he plays at looking undecided. Of course, they are not going to save her, so Didi Benami is out. Get ready for the waterworks America.

She doesn't completely collapse on the stage like I expected, but she goes into a clinch with MamaSox that says "Hold me up girl."

Fare thee well Didi.

9:50 p.m. – Diddy-Dirty Money "perform" "Hello Good Morning."

I don't understand this new group: Diddy and two chicks dancing and pretending to sing. One of the members used to be in his girl group Danity Kane. I would have rather seen them.

I forgot that Diddy used to be a back-up dancer back in the day. He's still got the moves, and he gets extra points for still attempting to be an artist with all he has on his plate.

The crowd is loving him, though, and he gives Simon a big hug. Who knew they were homeboys?

Diddy sends a shout out to all the young artists who are "bustin' they butts" in the industry. Wow.

9:39 p.m.- Back to the seats, Didi Benami is up and seems to be justifying why she hasn't been using her guitar a lot. What is up with Seacrest tonight all up in people's business?

Didi is off to join Katie in the bottom three. No shocker there.

Big Mike Lynche is up next and Ryan plays a dirty trick, asking him to step over ... only to slap his hand and tell him he is safe!

Mrs. Big Mike looked like she was about to have a heart attack! Big Mike lifts wee Ryan up off the floor and gives him what appears to be a chiropractic adjustment. Big Mike should have tossed him!

Crystal "MamaSox" Bowersox is up next and, of course, she is safe. She lets us know that she totally could have lifted Seacrest, too, and I believe it.

That brings us to Tim "Cute as a Button" Urban and Andrew Garcia as the possible final contestant in the bottom three. Tim it is!

Just like last week, Katie gets sent back as safe and that leaves us with our bottom two, Didi and Tim. Either could bounce as far as I am concerned.

9:30 p.m. – Bieber fever alert!!!!

Justin Bieber is in the audience for his mentor (and our guest mentor this week) Usher's performance. I can swear I heard the tween screams from across the country.

Usher comes on to perform "OMG" and at first he sounds like he is in the wrong key. And what is up with the Bob Fossey hat and moves?

This is not at all the performance I was anticipating. Usher and Will.i.am just didn't do it for me. Oh well.

9:13 p.m. - Big Mike has a phony pony (tail). I guess.

Right after we get some words of wisdom from Andrew Garcia's mama and a visit from the cast of "Clash of the Titans," we start the elimination round.

Up first is Lee Dewyze, who we all knew was safe. (I mean come on!) Next is Casey James, who I wish they would stop needling for "playing it safe." After half a second of a Seacrest pause, we learn that Casey is also safe.

Then Aaron Kelly gets put on the spot about his love life. Seacrest wants to know if the 16-year-old has ever been in love. Things quickly disintegrate when Ryan tries to joke Simon, who comes back with some smack, then Kara gets in it ...

Enough already! After all that, Aaron is safe.

Rising to their feet are Siobhan "Screech" Magnus and Katie Stevens. Screech looks worried but says she is "not defeated." Katie speaks her piece about the career she wants before being sent to the bottom three. Screech looks more upset than Katie.

We are again back to Seacrest being all up in Simon's face at the judges' table accusing him of gloating. Kiss and make up already!

9:05 p.m. – Oh snap!

I forgot that Ruben Studdard was performing tonight. He sings his new single, "Don't Make Them Like You," and he looks good. He's still the Velvet Teddy Bear, but now there is less stuffing.

He's going on tour with Clay Aiken, and I can't wait to see them on stage together again.

1. latin London escorts

I would like to read a bit more soon. BTW, rather good design you have here, but how about changing it once in a few months?

October 20, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jeanne

I never thought I would say it, but I miss Paula. Paula was genuine Kara hanging on Simon is pathetic. Ellen really is not needed. I fast forward through all the judging until Simon, then hit play. I think it will be my last season, unless they change it up.

April 1, 2010 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Just A Thought

Go Tim, anyone that can laugh at the judges the way he does and get away with it simply because they have no choice is awesome! Maybe he's just laughing at his situation and enjoying the ride as he says – either way it's pretty funny! Now he has officially made it past Sanjiya's previous run!

April 1, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  4. nessa99

I was really bummed to see Didi go home.. She would have been a better choice to stay.

I hope big mike leaves next after tim and katie.. they all three get on my nerves

and ryan is sooo annoying! JUST GET ON WITH IT! your embarassing yourself seacrest!!

April 1, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  5. JK

Unfortunately, none of the contestants are top quality.

They are all average......surely there were better singers out of the thousands that auditioned.

Very disappointing this year.....

April 1, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  6. lauren

Dont you think that the whole show is fixed.

I really wonder sometimes if what they say is all pre planned. Not the comments, but the inbetween chatter.

Ryan im sure is told to be rude, it all looks fake. Tim Urban needs to go badly. Talentless is an understatement.

I hate these karaoke shows they annoy me. Just as much as i hate simon cowell. Ellen is wasted on that show.

lauren from scotland

April 1, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  7. GWB

Ooops – I forgot Andrew Garcia – I LOVE his voice! I've liked him this whole season – just because his voice is soooo coool! And I'm not a big fan of Diddy, but I LOVED his performance/song and of course Usher was fantastic! I'm a 50 year old mom. So there ya go.

April 1, 2010 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  8. GWB

I'm sorry, but that was pathetic that that moron Tim beat out Didi. I love Fleetwood Mac and I love Didi's rendition of Riannon. Didi is way more talented than Tim, and all the Vote for the Worst is doing is making him look even dumber. They THINK they are hurting AI, but in reality we all know he's the joke on the show, which I'm fine with because he looks even dumber. Shoban is not a screecher juust like Adam Lambert wasn't a screecher. That being said, Kristal will win it because she's so fantastic. Katie, in my opinion, is "forgettable" and Lee, Casey and Mike are all really good – they deserve to tour. Didi's got a really neat voice – she'll go far. Casey reminds me so much of Bob Seger (for those of you that are old enough to remember Seger).

April 1, 2010 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
  9. Just A Thought

O My Gosh – Paige was givien the opportunity to sing! She still stunk up the stage! She was just told before hand that they (judges) would not be using the save on her. So she knew before she sang they did not plan to use the save, so what? In the end the judges know before they sing if they are gonna use the save anyway; they just saved her the pain of waiting for the answer.

April 1, 2010 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  10. Nick

Ryan is getting really bad as the host – bring back Dunkelman!

April 1, 2010 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  11. Hal Archer

I like the Idol concept of showcasing young talent. But the judges need a teleprompter. Same old comments week after week. The contestants are supposed to be fresh, but the judges are boring.

While Ellen is a wonderful comedy presenter, I have no idea what qualifies her as a music industry guru. Her criticisms are copycat or inane. Big mistake dropping Paula, Simon Fuller. Randy needs a vocabulary instead of that old fashioned cool cat jabberwalky. Kara
    tends to get confusing and soppy. Simon has his mind somewhere else. He is just not consistent. Ryan's patter adds nothing. It is a repetative litany of trite and dull adages, Beam up all up, Scotty,
    but leave the kids.

April 1, 2010 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
  12. Katia

It a shame because I love Didi's tone and when I closed my eyes I knew it was Didi signing just by her sound. There was a couple others that I would have rather seen gone then her which were so forgetable.

Didi you will be missed on the show but I am glad you are going on tour this summer and I sure hope to her from you in the future.

April 1, 2010 at 7:18 am | Report abuse |
  13. stargazer

Ryan needs to back off. Kara needs to back away from Simon. No matter how hard they try to add a spark to the show, it just looks desperate to me. I think if Ryan doesn't settle down, he's going to explode. What a rude little critter he is.

April 1, 2010 at 6:59 am | Report abuse |
  14. Nabila

Tonight Ryan was getting on my nerves too. His comments were out of line, and so were his questions to the contestants. Loved Lee and Bowersox & Hope Aaron comes back too. I felt that Didi had to go & maybe next week it will be Andrew.

April 1, 2010 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
  15. Kate

Geez Idol, can you at least try to set the same standard for everyone?! Both Lacey and Didi were given the chance to sing for the save. Paige was not given that chance (and actually delivered a far more saveable performance than either of the other two). At this point, I would be far more likely to see a tour of the departed Idols over a tour of the ones left!

March 31, 2010 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Virgie

I think Usher did a way better job mentoring than Miley did last week. I am happy to see Didi go. When she threw that little "Tell me! Tell me!" into her performance I wanted to barf.

I am NOT a big Mike fan. I just wish he'd leave already. We've already had a big black guy win.

March 31, 2010 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  17. AllyCat

where the hell is adam lambert when you need him?

March 31, 2010 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  18. TMac

Which one is DiDi?

March 31, 2010 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  19. AllyCat

March 31, 2010 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Amy

So lame... all of the people with real, genuine talent are going home. First Lilly, Lacey, now Didi. These girls are real artists that are sent home because little teen girls are voting for the cute boys that can't sing. If Aaron makes it to the top 5 I'll vomit.

March 31, 2010 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  21. michele

guarantee they discussed it before the show even started.

GOOD POINT THERE STEWART.......I STILL THINK THIS SHOW IS RIGGED.........I REALLY DO

March 31, 2010 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Stewart

@Michele- no, fair is what the judges decide. She really was that bad that they didn't need to hear her sing again to know that they didn't want to waste their save on her. They knew that they would have to use it later on down the road for a better singer. That's fair. I guarantee they discussed it before the show even started.

March 31, 2010 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  23. protogere

Well Paige did get to sing, the same as Didi did – as mozart pointed out, the only difference is that Ryan didn't ask the judges for their thoughts on Didi's leaving like he did for Paige. For Paige he allowed them time to talk and they were rude about it, they didn't merely just say 'it's not good news sweetheart blah blah blah' they said you don't have a chance that we would save you and Simon was very harsh in the delivery.

March 31, 2010 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Nadine

It's annoying that the gals are getting knocked off one by one. Obviously it's because of all the teeny bopper girls who vote for Tim (and his pretty face) even though he should have been gone weeks ago. It's a shame that Katie will be gone next week even though Tim (and then Andrew) should be gone before she makes her departure. It will be embarrassing for the show when Siobhan goes before Tim.

March 31, 2010 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  25. ACwatts

agree w/ joe. i have yet to want to download anything on itunes when last season i kept buying singles!

March 31, 2010 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Stewart

This show is pretty screwy anyway. I know a couple of people who have tried out and not made it. These girls have been trained by professionals since pretty much the time they were born. Amazing singers with vocal control that would blow you away. One made it to Simon and friends, and they told her that she wasn't good enough. Now she has a record deal with a fairly large company and will be recording and releasing an album soon.

Meanwhile on American Idol, we're stuck with people who can barely carry a tune. How does that work exactly?

March 31, 2010 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  27. dgs

American Idol is sooooooo wrong this year. Take it off the air. I think we have run out of great new talent. There also is tooooooo much going on between Ryan and the judges. First there was the unnecessary with Kara about Casey(she is old enough to be his mother) and always something between Rayn and Simon. Enough is enough. Out the door Idol!!!!!!!!

March 31, 2010 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  28. joe

This season is so disappointing. All the singers are very so-so, very ho-hum, and very FORGETTABLE. They sound no better than what you would hear at a "pretty good" night at the local karaoke bar. just sad. they all deserve to lose and the season should just be cancelled. i know i won't be buying any of their boring albums.

March 31, 2010 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  29. michele

your missing my point....even if tho they didn't have any desire to save paige she still should have gotten the same EQUAL oppurnity

March 31, 2010 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  30. mozart4898

Fair IS fair, you're right – I'm saying I don't think they were going to save Didi either, no way no how, but last week Ryan went to the judges BEFORE Paige sang so they had the chance to tell her they weren't saving her. He didn't do that this week – so if anything the "unfairness" lies with Ryan.

March 31, 2010 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Stewart

Michele, they wouldn't have saved Paige anyway. She was HORRIBLE. She shouldn't have even made it past the initial auditions. Besides, it's the top ten now, maybe they decided not to give them the save opportunity until then.

March 31, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  32. mozart4898

@ michele – I'm torn between who is better – Tim or Andrew – but I figured Tim was gone tonight when it was down to him and Didi. If Katie goes next and then we're left with Tim and Andrew as the bottom 2 a few weeks from now, my faith in America as far as evaluating talent will actually bump up a few steps. Tim's just not that bad. Andrew has potential but has sucked quite a bit lately – last night he showed more of what he really could do. I see Andrew and Tim as probably like 7-8 material and have for a while. So we'll see.

March 31, 2010 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  33. michele

doesn't matter mozart fair is fair. paige still should have gotten the same equal oppurnity

March 31, 2010 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  34. michele

someone tell me whyyyyyyyy didi got to sing for save and paige didn't get to

March 31, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  35. mozart4898

@ protogere – I still don't think it was that rude of them to tell Paige they weren't going to save her before she even sang – I think from how Paige reacted she knew they weren't going to. They probably would have told Didi that too except that Ryan didn't actually ask the judges if they had any advice for her before she sang. Didi didn't seem that surprised when they said they wouldn't save her either afterwards – in fact she seemed to hold up pretty well until they showed the video of her "journey."

Still amazed that America didn't eliminate Tim – and really shocked too that IMO they DID actually eliminate one of the two who really deserved to go (the other being Katie). Of the 10 Tim didn't deserve to go but I thought he probably would anyways. And I think mentioning a certain site that supports Tim and asks people to vote for him is censored or causes your comment to automatically be deleted...lol.

March 31, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  36. michele

i guess lisa isn't gonna post my other post

March 31, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  37. michele

this show is so messed up......

March 31, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  38. michele

Tims better than andrew in my eyes.......

March 31, 2010 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  39. protogere

I agree Stewart :(

March 31, 2010 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Stewart

Tim should have gone. Just because he has some tweeny fans doesn't make him a capable singer. He's constantly off key or just plain out of tune. He shouldn't even have made it this far.

March 31, 2010 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  41. protogere

Nevermind they just flashed back over, aww bless her heart. Not that I am surprised they saved that save for later in the season. I just want to hug her. I hope this isn't the last we hear from her though and she at least gets to tour.

March 31, 2010 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  42. protogere

Well someone update!?! Did she get saved??!!!

March 31, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  43. protogere

I agree michele – so rude of them last week to Paige. And double slap for me here – my local television station just cut in to go to the local 10 o'clock news!! %^%^$#&*!!

March 31, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  44. protogere

That's a great song for her to choose to sing for her saving moment, she has such a pretty voice for a Stevie cover. Man I am disappointed, not surprised, but disappointed.

March 31, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  45. michele

she gets to sing for the save but paige wasn't allowed?????? now that is totally unfair.........

March 31, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Barbara P.

Sadly, Michele, I think you're right. ....

March 31, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  47. mozart4898

Holy...Didi's gone? Cause they won't save her, I just can't see it...

March 31, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  48. willyboy

it's DiDi!!!! yippeee!!!

March 31, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  49. protogere

son of a biscuit eater!

March 31, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  50. michele

its not barb...........that ship sailed........to the Indian ocean.......

March 31, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Barbara P.

You know, Protogere, I think you're right about the radio thing – I hadn't thought of that. It IS coming across like a radio interview.

I was really disappointed with Usher and, after last night, I was so looking forward to his performance. Wonder when this season is ever gonna hit its groove.

March 31, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  52. protogere

Erinn I thought he was a she for the longest time until I actually saw him sing.

March 31, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  53. michele

didi needs to go..........Tim needs to stay..........

March 31, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  54. mozart4898

@ michele...I don't always agree with you (i.e. I know you're not a fan of Crystal at all) but I agree – Andrew deserves bottom 3 more than Tim. He's probably going too cause I don't see Didi getting voted off, even though she was definitely worse than Tim was.

March 31, 2010 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Erinn

I'm sorry, but what is Justin Bieber...like 10? He looked and sounded 10 to me.

March 31, 2010 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  56. michele

ANDREW WON OVER TIM...AND TIM IS BOTTOM 3??????? OHHHHH PLEASEEEEEEEE SHOULD BE THE OTHER WAY AROUND

March 31, 2010 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  57. willyboy

Of the two, i'd choose DiDi to go. Timmy boy still has his tweeners–

March 31, 2010 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  58. protogere

Wow, Katie is spared again and knowing Tim's track record I am really worried for Didi as she has been my choice female contestant since they awarded the golden tickets. Diddly for Didi.

March 31, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  59. willyboy

of course, Mike & crystal are safe. Tim is bottom again!

March 31, 2010 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  60. mozart4898

Big Mike...LOL

March 31, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  61. mozart4898

I really really wasn't impressed by Usher. I'll be honest, current R&B (or whatever you call what he does) isn't my cup of tea but at least when I've heard him before I could appreciate that he's actually quite a good singer. So much emphasis is placed on performances and showing off your entourage and all nowadays that displays like that are what we're brought to as accepting in mainstream live music performances. It's just really too bad that we don't see more people focused purely on making great music – our society demands so much overindulgence that it covers up the musical performance itself. Ruben was great without all of the other stuff. People like Big Mike and Crystal don't need all the gimmicks either.

I dunno. Just my opinion. I'm sure millions across the country were thrilled by Usher's performance. Just not the sort of thing I would want to watch and especially listen to all the time.

March 31, 2010 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  62. willyboy

There goes Didi!!!

March 31, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  63. willyboy

Siobhan has too big a fan base so far to get knocked out. I knew katie would make bottom 3 again. one of these weeks, she will be gone, but not this week-

March 31, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Brownivygal

what is going on Usher? How you gonna give advice about singing and the next day sound like a mess and out-of-breath?

love me some Usher, just not tonight. this seems like a trend for AI this season.....people that are like-able but aren't impressive once they get on the stage...it makes me say "OH MY GOSH"...hahahaha.

March 31, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  65. protogere

I agree Barbara. Maybe it's because of his work on his radio station and he's just becoming so adjusted to pressing stars for details, but he seems to really ask questions and make remarks that just seem over the line. But then again maybe I just mentally see them as needing protected for being so insecure LoL.

March 31, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  66. mozart4898

Yeah I didn't see any way Siobhan was going to be eliminated this week. I did think for a minute there might be a chance that both Katie and Siobhan were in the bottom 3 but I wasn't expecting it.

March 31, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Barbara P.

There's something really stilted and uncomfortable about Ryan this year – not at all what I've felt in years past where he's been my favorite, a stable, kind voice. It doesn't feel right that he's digging for all these personal details with a bunch of kids who just don't want to talk about it all. It's all coming across as mean and invasive. Very unlike past seasons. Of course, this group seems way more insecure than most, so maybe I'm just feeling for them and they way they are put on the spot when all they want to know is "am I safe or not?".

March 31, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  68. protogere

I just want to shake Lee and tell him to stop being so terrified. My god he looks so frightened.
    The Simon bashing, however much just for tv it is, is getting old.
    And I'm relieved to know Siobhan's getting another opportunity.

March 31, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  69. protogere

He did a few songs after winning but I haven't heard a lot on mainstream radio since then. I know I've seen some of his songs pop up on my mp3 radio station I listen to so I know he's done something, but I just hadn't heard much at all in several years.

March 31, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  70. mozart4898

I think Ryan is trying to bring more "edge" to the show or something...but yeah he does sometimes come across awkward or even just plain snappy. Ruben sounded good – I'm sure even though I haven't heard about him, he's still making plenty of money...lol

March 31, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  71. protogere

Kara reminds me of that person who has the perfect one line zinger for the moment but only comes up with it an hour later when that moment is lost.

March 31, 2010 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  72. protogere

Ryan's been rather snappy these past few weeks – did you notice during his convo with Ruben he made the little comment 'the Clay-mates will be happy"? Good for Ruben though, he was quick to reply with 'So will the Studdard fans'.
    It's funny I think it was Loray and I just commenting back and forth last night of not hearing anything about Ruben in a while and now to learn he is on tour. Pretty cool!

March 31, 2010 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |