March 30th, 2010

Usher to mentor 'American Idol' Top 10

testing captions
testing captions

Usher on tap as mentor for “American Idol’s” R&B-themed night?

Yes please!

If his protégé Justin Bieber’s career is any indication, Usher knows how to shape a superstar, so I’m anxious to see what words of wisdom he has for our Top 10.

I also can’t wait to see who sings what. Given such an awesome catalog, Lord help these children if they turn in another lame night of ill-fitting tunes.

My money is on Big Mike Lynche to really work it out and make the girls yell “Hey Daddy.” That’s from Usher’s latest single “Hey Daddy (Daddy’s Home),” currently in heavy rotation on my playlist. I'd give you more information, but the lyrics aren’t exactly suited for family TV time.

Of course Usher has a new album, “Raymond v. Raymond”  (it ain’t "Idol" if someone isn’t promoting something), and I’m sure we'll be hearing all about his latest project.

I don’t mind a little self-promotion if he can help wring a decent performance out of the bunch. Tim Urban, I am afraid for you!

Join CNN tonight and throughout the "American Idol" season as Lisa Respers France blogs live during the performance and result shows.

1. Str8 outta TX

2 be real
    usher is brilliant, talented, desired by the women, $RICH$, what else do you need?
    but anyway hopefully he's good enough to help these idol's.
    but justin bieber! hell no! i may be biased, as i am male (19/m/tx), but there is nothing appealing about a 15-16 year old boy who aounds like a 11 year old girl.

March 31, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  2. P-Dub

American Idol lost its credibility when they allowed Taylor Hicks to make it!

March 31, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Harley Man

This season it's the Crystal Bowersox Show. The other contestants should feel embarrased to think they are better than her. This season is a wrap already. Bowersox has a million dollar voice that is even bigger than American Idol. She can leave the show right now and do better than anyone else. She SHOULD leave right now and shop her voice to record companies. She doesn't need American Idol, they need her.

March 31, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  4. idolfan

I still think Ryan is crazily infatuated with Didi, I think he was trying to help her so he was pushing her for an answer so people would "understand" and keep her in the show. He acts like a lovesick schoolboy around her, maybe I'm the only one noticing, but from the beginning it seems he can't contain himself around her, he gets all childish and can't think straight, he's very touchy feely with her and gets especially goofy. The man has it bad. What did Didi mean she she said "he wants me to say it is him" and Simon told her, we need to talk, i think she let the cat out the bag, i truly believe romance is in the air. About time there was a genuine idol romance! Didi is as silly as Ryan, perfect fit. Just my opinion!

March 30, 2010 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. mwt

ryan is a jerk for making didi feel so uncomfortable on live tv. why make the girl answer the question when it was obvious she did not want to? that is soo uncool, just like ryan, who unfortunately thinks he is ultra cool.

March 30, 2010 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  6. anita

this year's AI lacks talent, only 3 or maybe 4 really have it. Crystal, Siobhan, Lee and Aaron are in the top. surprised that this top 10 is under-performing. almost to painful to watch...

March 30, 2010 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  7. sandra

I would love to hear Casey do some Bob Seager. Its a 3 way race in my eyes. Casey, Crystal and Lee.

March 30, 2010 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  8. craig

I so much agree with you claeks. Crystal blows them all off the stage

March 30, 2010 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  9. claeks

I was impressed considering the train wrecks that we have seen this season. PLEASE...get rid of Didi. Her nasal voice reminds me of a cat, and I have no idea how someone who sounds like the girl in my 7th-grade chorus class at East Middle School made it to the top 10. Straught up! This was the first time I've liked Andrew since Hollywood week. As usual, Crystal rocks my socks, and if she doesn't win, I will never watch this show again.

March 30, 2010 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  10. craig

I dont know who Justin Bieber is, but Usher is ONE class act with these contestants

March 30, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Yo

Wait...Usher's protege is Justin Bieber. Cool points. Lost. That boy can't sing!

March 30, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  12. craig

I thought Casey was great, Siobhan was better I thought than the judges said.

March 30, 2010 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  13. megan

OUCH!!! That was terrible.

March 30, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  14. protogere

Can I say I love the new flag this comment feature! Hopefully that will clear out a lot of the downright disgusting comments about the contestants that have been flung about the last several weeks!

March 30, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  15. protogere

I like Usher, have a lot of respect for him as an artist and I think he can probably offer these contestants a lot of sound advice.

March 30, 2010 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  16. mozart4898

This will be another interesting week given how wide of range of choices "R&B" offers the performers. I've seen the list they have to pick from and once again it spans nearly 50 years again – if they can't find something from this list they can sing, then they probably don't belong there. But I still expect to be hearing about song choice from the judges several times...

And I can't help it...I'm really curious what Crystal's "big plans" are. I'm a big fan but I just hope she doesn't go too far with them – the only problem is that since she mentioned it, if she doesn't do something definitely different she's going to probably catch a lot of flak for drawing attention and then not carrying through. I don't find her performances boring at all and I think plenty of others agree too. But we'll see.

Also curious if we'll see any train wrecks this week like we did last week...again, there's a wide enough selection there shouldn't be any but I'm sure several people will manage to pick songs that just don't fit them or really weren't that good of songs in the first place...

March 30, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |