March 30th, 2010

The 'Idol' Top 10 face the music

testing captions
testing captions

9:56 p.m. -I had been waiting all night for Usher to sing just a little bit to display his point, and he did with Aaron Kelly during his rehearsal.

Bill Withers "Ain't No Sunshine" is a big song, especially for a teenager - even one as poised as Aaron. He was good, but he didn't really have the "moment" that I expected to end the show. His practice session was so much better.

Maybe his nerves got the best of him?

9:44 p.m. - Usher is loving him some MamaSox.

Crystal Bowersox is on the piano, singing "Midnight Train to Georgia." Her voice has more soul than all of the other contestants by far. Thankfully, she only plays the piano a little bit because it seemed to be distracting her.

I just wanted her to sing the song all the way through. I don't think I have ever heard Simon tell someone to don't go changing to try and please him.

Another home run out the stadium by MamaSox (who looked great in the stilettos by the way).

9:33 p.m. - I thought we were going to get through one night without Big Mike lifting someone off their feet, but nope. He scoops Katie up backstage in the green room.

*SIGH*

Lee Dewyze takes on "Treat Her Like a Lady," and I want to mail him some confidence. As Usher points out, the boy can sing, and during rehearsal he looked scared to death!  Seriously, if he was standing any farther away from Usher, he would have been out of the room.

I liked his performance, though it was more light rock than R & B. I'm a sucker for a gravely tone, and I  like his Darius Rucker-esque voice though.

I just need Lee to believe that he deserves to be in the game because he is really, really good. The judges can't say enough positive things, and Lee looks like he is about to burst into tears.

Awwwww Lee. We heart you!

9:22 p.m. - I like Katie Stevens, but I have a bias when it comes to Aretha Franklin's "Chain of Fools."

I remember when Fantasia sang this song, and it was almost flawless. Usher is great with the advice and on the money when he tells Katie she needs to bring some pizazz to her performance.

That song is all about the attitude, and bless her heart Katie tries. She was pretty good, but she's no Allison Iraheta from last season. The little rocker chick would've sung that song like the rent was due!

That being said, I thought Katie was very middle-of-the-pack. Randy is OUTSIDE of his mind comparing her to Christina Aguilera, and I am glad that Simon was with me on that.

9:09 p.m. – Seacrest, please don't try and use the urban lingo. It's bad when Randy does it and ridiculous when you do.

Andrew Garcia is next up, and I fear that here comes the pain. Andrew has been disintegrating every week, and it has hurt my heart to watch him.

He does an acoustic version of Chris Brown's "Forever," and I feel like he is forever chasing that moment he had with his "Straight Up" performance. He almost got there tonight.

It was much more of the Andrew we first fell in love with, and he looks so happy. Please stay in that lane, Andrew.

8:57 p.m. - Tim Urban totally doesn't get why they call him "Teflon Tim."

It's cause you should have been gone by now dude!

Don't get it twisted: The names Tim Urban and Anita Baker should never, ever be used in the same sentence. Ever. He sings her classic "Sweet Love," and I anticipated what my homegirl Kelly predicted would be a "10-car pile-up."

Amazingly, it wasn't as horrendous as I anticipated. At first, I thought it was the worst song choice in the world for him, and he was definitely doing the "soul-lite" version. But then I realized that the young girls probably loved it.

That suga-face, with those bangs brushing those sweet eyes singing a love song, is going to score some votes. Tim might be crazy like a fox!

Simon was so on-point in saying it doesn't matter at all what the judges say cause Tim is gonna keep sticking around.

8:45 p.m. – Oh Lord. Must Didi Benami cry every single time?

"What Becomes of the Brokenhearted" is a great song and all, but geez. Her outfit is very Las Vegas casino performer, and she manages to strip every bit of soul out of what is a classic soul song.

That was borderline painful to listen to. Kara says she is confused as to who Didi is as an artist now. Simon takes a swipe at a "dancing show" that have awful singers as performers. Wow, ABC might be calling.

Didi looks irritated at the negative critiques. Really Didi? Really?

Ryan was over the line trying to push her to share her tragic story as to why the song makes her so emotional.  She clearly didn't want to talk about it.  Bad Seacrest!

8:33 p.m. – I kind of like that backstage camera after the performances. Feels more intimate.

I have a feeling that there was a lot of ego in that room when Big Mike Lynche met Usher. I'm just saying.

Mike sings one of my all-time favorite songs, India Arie's "Ready for Love." It was soft, soulful and understated. I loved the arrangement. Nice shot of the crowd swaying.

Just Mike, just his guitar and just what my husband proclaimed to be "a home run right there!" I am starting to see this guy more and more as the next possible "American Idol." He was poised, polished and professional.

Little weird that he sang behind the judges' backs, but whatever.

8:22 p.m. – I wonder what Sam & Dave would think of Casey James' version of "Hold On, I'm Coming."

You can tell he had a great time. His smile said "Oh yeah, I'm in my groove." He sounded good and gave me a touch (though very slight) of an Eric Clapton vibe.  He obviously loves this style of music, as do I.

Ellen gets booed for saying it "felt generic." Allow me to add in my personal boo: BOOOOOO!

I say great confidence and great performance. Well done, Casey!

8:04 p.m. – Lots of leather/pleather on Soul and R&B Night.

Siobhan Mangus is looking straight thrilled over seeing Usher. I would be, too, girl!

I thought he might leave those shades on the whole time because he is just that cool. I like what he has to say about their talent. The audience is loving him. Ryan is funny donning his own shades. Not even close, Seacrest!

I am really going to need Usher to stop chewing that gum though.

Siobhan says she is "wicked nervous." Her outfit during rehearsal is goofy, crazy. Usher has big praise.

She sings Chaka Khan's "Through the Fire," and her performance outfit is crazy, too. I am beginning to see a theme here.

She does have a big voice, but some of those notes were warbly to say the least. She channels her scream to try and do a big finish. Randy calls her "pitchy" but likes her courageousness, whatever that means.

She admits that she didn't "kill it," though I might have to disagree. I didn't love her. Did you?

1. What's Up?

What was up with Ryan Seacrest? I thought he was down right obnoxious. Distracted from the show. I had visions of Paula Abdul moments...Yes, I think this is about the worst Idol season I have ever watched, or listened to. Crystal has been good, but I have to agree with Simon, she just wasn't who she is in this show. She seemed distracted by the piano, her voice wasn't that good. She was trying to be something she is not. And I really like Lee. Yes, seems like a scared puppy, but he has some vocals.

April 1, 2010 at 6:46 am | Report abuse |
  2. Nessa99

im hoping katie or tim gets voted off tonight. Is usher performing? Loved Andrew and i love didi, Ryan was absolutely rediculas last night.. come on 9:00!

March 31, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jeff P

@ beverly You are wrong, this contest is not about the best singer. The show is called 'American Idol' and not 'America's Best Singer.' To be an idol is all about being popular. 'American Idol' is most certainly a popularity contest and being a good singer is only part of the equation along with personality, looks, energy, etc.

March 31, 2010 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  4. wendy sepulvado

I love crystal she is awesome. Raw talent is right on key with her. She has one of those voices that grab you. My husband and I look forward to seeing what she does next. The Janis Joplin song she done blew me away. You go girl If she isn't chosen I promise you it doesn't matter she will be picked up if she's not already. I would buy her album now if she had one. Mike is another favorite of mine. He has class and a great voice. Mike we love you. Last on my list is the rascal flatts little dude. He is good and has a voice that will take him places.

March 31, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  5. beverly

i don't know the age of some of you bloggers, but!!, this is a contest about the best singer, not A POPULARITY CONTEST. Crystal, Siobhan,Lee and James should be the last 4 standing. and so far there is no one who should beat Crystal. put your "i don't like her/him" away. Tim just is not a good singer, Didi sucks and whines, Mike is too into himself, Aaron is cute with a good voice, but still needs work, and Kate is greatt, but again needs more work. Andt Cara is not Paula and never will be, Ellen is an actress who is funny at times, Randy Yo Dog knows his business and Simon has good hearing, the show will fail without him. i can say this will be my last season of watching IDOL.

March 31, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. starzzguitar

I don't get this Andrew Garcia. He is so ordinary, ordinary looking, ordinary sounding, no charisma, no stage presence. Chuck the glasses and make sure his mom stays in her seat, that was embarrassing. Siobhan is trying too hard, and she should drop the gimmic for at least one show, that big note at the end. Like her, though. Bowersox is obviously just phoning it in, but I liked the change of pace and the non-hippie girl fashion and the high heels. That Tim Urban did the best job he has ever done, was on-key and did not deserve to be treated as a joke. He took the judges comments in good humor and he has nothing to be ashamed off. Didi the same, and Ryan is starting to give me the creeps...he is already giving Simon the creeps, Kara is so annoying. Odd that Ellen is not bothering me!

March 31, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Vivian

I am hoping and praying that my favorite "Bowersox" will win the show. She so deserves this chance in her life. Hang in there Crystal, I think your outcome will be well deserved and your outlook of life will change for the better. You rock! Keep up the faith! I loved you in the high heels, but it was your voice that won us over. May you have much inner peach to cross this coming path.

God Bless
    Rene and Vivian

March 31, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. ivanr

i cant stand dog jackson , what does ellen know about singing talent, kara what song did she write again, that leves simon and he is leaving

March 31, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. I don't think so

Crystal and Lee are the bomb. Lee has the Bruce Springsteen raw power and Crystal is just Crystal , a bit Janis Joplin, but truly unique.

March 31, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. dani

Bye bye Didi! Ryan can you be any more creepy with Didi?? Does she have to tell millions of people who broke her heart. Her singing is bad enough.

Go Lee and Crystal!

March 31, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Richard

I have never heard of Usher before last night and he did a wonderful job, light years ahead of Miley. I don't think they have a better one since the show started. He would make a good replacement for Ellen, lets make Ellen 5711 and vote her off. Siobhan and Crystal were both very good.

March 31, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  12. Chris Kirkpatrick

My top 10 from worst to best of the night.

10) Tim Urban
    9) Didi Benami
    8) Katie Stephens
    7) Aaron Kelly
    6) Siobhan Magnus
    5) Mike Lynch
    4) Casey James
    3) Andrew Garcia
    2) Crystal Bowersox
    1) Lee Dewyze

March 31, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  13. Cori Dee

Here it is -simple:
    Lee #1 for the guys and Crystal # 1 for the girls – they both know how to control their voices- amazing.
    Siobhan would be a contender but when she tries for the "Broadway Belt" she turns out screeching and ruins the good parts of her song. Katie and Aaron are immature – Idol should have the ages as 18-30. These kids need to be teens for a little while.
    Big Mike is awesome!!!!

March 31, 2010 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  14. Judi

Lee is a star. Whether he wins or not, he will be signed and recorded.

March 31, 2010 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  15. Just A Thought

Usher, while a great talent, did not give anything the judges have not said already! Specific, not really! Everyone was told 'connect with your audience' you gotta "have that moment' a few comments here and there but nothing to go WOW about!

March 31, 2010 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  16. MC

Siobhan sounded awful. I don't like her anyway....absolutely zero personality...stands there like a statue. Andrew was terrible, too. Not sure why everyone loved him. I thought he was off-key through most of the song. I love Didi, but last night was hard to sit through. She blew it. Tim and Aaron were also really bad. Bottom three tonight should be Siobhan, Tim and Didi. Maybe we'll hit it lucky and all three will go home tonight.

March 31, 2010 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  17. Just A Thought

Casey was the BOMB last night, and Lee was right there with him! Those were the hands down best last night! Lots of energy from both great song choice and they were on it!

Mamasox was good but nearly her best performance, definitly needs to go back to her style and not try to please the minority – show dog mom – she seemed uncomfortable and a little off her stride.

Siobahn was really good, much better than last week. I dont know why the judges slammed her; she was WAY better than Aaron, Katie, Didi, and Big Mike!

Big Mike – sorry don't get the hype with him. I havent seen any big songs yet everything is a slow song or a ballad. Nothing with any pop or get up and dance to it.

March 31, 2010 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  18. Stephen Prior

A decent week for sure, the only quarrel I have is with Andrew's performance. I know artists can change songs however they choose, and really its expected, but Andrew didnt actually do that, he took a version done by Boyce Avenue. He performed it awesomely, but I just think he should give credit where credit is due... Seriously, Youtube "Boyce Avenue Forever" and youll see what Im talking about!

March 31, 2010 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
  19. kim cheeks

This is the worse season of American Idol,last was suppose to be rb&soul it was horrible.

March 31, 2010 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  20. Lori

During the auditions Didi cried over losing her best friend in a car accident (I think) and coming to the audition in her honor. She was emotional during the early weeks, and again last night during her rehearsal with Usher. Its understandable that she may not have wanted to discuss this last night immediately after the judges' harsh critisizm, but I don't think Ryan overstepped. He was probably thinking that since not everyone remembers her audtion, it would be a good opportunity for Didi to explain herself. Had had she done so, it might have been to her benefit. She's not the best singer this season, but she's clearly a good friend.

March 31, 2010 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  21. isabel

Is this AI comments or Protege, Mozart and Michelle blog? Enough comments from you all. Tooooo much!

March 31, 2010 at 6:49 am | Report abuse |
  22. AEvangelista

Siobhan's voice was clearly ailing tonight. But what I'll remember from this is Usher's words: "What separates Siobhan from the rest of the pack is that she has a very unique vocal ability." Last week, Siobhan and Casey James were favorites of Miley.

March 31, 2010 at 4:04 am | Report abuse |
  23. Jeff P

Lee had the best performance of the night and Tim the worst, though I think Katie will go home tomorrow.

Loray White said, "Seriously, of the last three seasons, who is out there making their mark?" My answer...Adam Lambert, Jordin Sparks, David Cook, Allison Iraheta, Chris Daughtry, Elliot Yamin, Kelli Pickler, and Katharine McPhee are a few who have had success over the past three years.

March 31, 2010 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  24. Dana

Loray,
    In addition to your comments being just a bit off-do you not listen to the radio, dear? David Cook (2008) went platinum in a minuscule amount of time, and Adam Lambert (runner-up 2009) is heating up the airwaves. And, it's Kelly ClarkSON, not Kelly Clarke.

March 31, 2010 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  25. TexGalDenise

Who cares how Tim Urban sounded? I mean really! He's the cutest Idol contestant ever and when a guy looks like that he doesn't need to sing that good. Excuse me while I go change my panties now! ( -;

March 31, 2010 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  26. michele

doesn't matter who you vote for.....its all rigged and simon wants his money from crystal simple as that mark my words

March 30, 2010 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Nessa99

Okay so!
    Tonight I thought that ANDREW did awesome! I was so happy he had the guitar again and I dont reeally like that song but i loved what he did to it! Theres the guy i favored from the start! loved him tonight! I loved LEE too! ahh he did awesome! he made me smile! Aaron was flat and Lisa was right his practice round was so much better!

I thhought DIDI did a good job, definitely could have done better but it wasnt horrible.. i forgot her number though..and big MIKE? ugh. he was alright but it didnt do anything for me.. if i close my eyes and listen to him it feels like im at church.. Katie was good, everyone stepped up! Especially crystal! i normally dont like her but this week she did soooo much better! loved the switch up!

All and all im voting for Andrew and Lee!

March 30, 2010 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Fitzwilly56

I am older, don't really know Usher, but enjoyed listening to him, he had a lot of positive commentary and constructive suggestions. I don't agree with Loray about quality–I think Michael Lynch and Crystal Bowersox are as good as any of the past winners. AND, I never liked Fantasia, sooooo street. The only thing she ever sang that I liked was Summertime, which I admit was flawless. LaToya London was robbed that season too.

March 30, 2010 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Paul

Sorry everyone, Crystal and Lee, everyone else can go home now.

March 30, 2010 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Karon

OMG you got to give it to Usher he really made the best comments about what the contestants needed to do. What a pro. They all did so much better than last week.

March 30, 2010 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Fitzwilly56

I think the judges were far too harsh to Siobhan. I love anything Chaka Does/Did and I think her performance of Through the Fire was pretty good, there were a few spots that didn't thrill me, but there were others where she showed a fine voice and then did the scream thing well. The judges most definitely devatated her tonight, from the crying caught on film and the forelorn look at the close of the show. She shouldn't be so down, she'll be back next week. I still think that she's #2 behind Crystal for the Girls. While I'm at it, Michael is #1 for the guys, then Casey, then Lee, then Alex. I still think Andrew should have gone and Lily should have stayed. My guess is Didi and Tim will be in the bottom three...not sure who joins them, my vote is for Andrew. Of those three, it's Didi's turn to go and then she has a good reason to cry. Teflon will continue for awhile longer.

March 30, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  32. michele

big mike was the best tonight

March 30, 2010 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Loray White

I agree with you Protogere. I, too, have watched since AI's inception. Although, you are correct in that only two consistently are performing, you have to admit that the other two are still producing. I can't say the same for the most recent winners.

March 30, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  34. jwe

bowersox is the best

March 30, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  35. mozart4898

Aaron sounded nervous at the beginning...got better as it went along. He'll definitely be safe but that wasn't really that impressive.

(And I read my last post, we need an edit button – I should have said "we may have even taken from the same teacher...lol")

March 30, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Brownivygal

Aaron, that was weak. You didn't take Usher's advice about the "i know" part....i'm predicting a bottom three moment for you tomorrow.

March 30, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Stacy

Is it me or is he murdering that classic?

March 30, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Brownivygal

Is this motown music night? It seems as though this season's AI participants are scared of contemporary and new songs!!! I keep hearing old-time classics......can we get something I wouldn't just hear on Kiss 107 (soft rock)

March 30, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  39. mozart4898

I was scared for Crystal with the piano...it's good to see the change from the guitar though even though I could listen to her with her guitar from now on. Probably not the best she's been but still a very good performance. Was it this week's best performance? Maybe – maybe not. I'm a big fan so it's hard for me to be totally objective, I'll just admit that.

And I'm really wondering – I took piano lessons myself from a teacher that lives very close to where Crystal grew up. I really have no way of knowing but we may have even took from the same teacher...

March 30, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  40. protogere

I thought Crystal did an amazing job, though I would be shocked if she had done anything less than amazing.

March 30, 2010 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  41. michele

thats the big surprise crystal has for us??????? sorry????? i was expecting something big

March 30, 2010 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  42. protogere

Lee is always on top of his game. He's going places with or without AI – I truly believe it. Lisa I was wondering that too – why was he about to tear up when they were giving him such amazing praise that he had earned rightfully.

March 30, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  43. protogere

Loray out of the ones you named, only two of those four even continue to hit the charts which is sad because they had a lot of potential. But I agree, this is by far the worst season of idol and I have been watching religiously since the top 5 of season 1.

March 30, 2010 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  44. mozart4898

Lee was a surprise this week – this is the first time it's seemed to me there was any emotion in his performance. That being said – wow. Definitely one of the standouts of the night so far for me – he's right there with Mike for the best of the night so far.

They're all stepping it up tonight. Even the bottom couple have been much better than the past few weeks. I'm just waiting to see what Crystal pulls out here – if she doesn't really put a good one out there, she'll actually end up in the middle of the pack tonight cause several people have made huge leaps.

March 30, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Loray White

I can see why Simon is considering this to be his last season. The quality is just not here anymore. Let's not make stars of those who really don't make the pass. Seriously, of the last three seasons, who is out there making their mark? It's sad for me to admit that aside from Kelly CIarke, Carrie Underwood, Fantasia, and Reuben, I can't remember their names.

March 30, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  46. JC

Simon is 100% right with Katie. She is going nowhere (both in this show and with a potential record deal) in the pop/R&B genre. She just isn't as good as the current singers. With a season lacking even one country singer, she could have a whole voting block on her side. But...I guess she knows better than Simon. I am going to hate to see her shocked look when she continues ending up in the bottom 3 until she eventually gets voted off in the new couple of weeks.

March 30, 2010 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Alan R

Katie was very good. However, she needs to be current, or will not make the top 5.

March 30, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  48. DG

What's "urban lingo" and why is it "bad" when Randy does it?

March 30, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  49. mozart4898

Katie's got a big voice – bigger than you'd expect from her age. I just still feel like she doesn't have that good of control of it. She just keeps losing her pitch a little bit here and there, and it's the very first thing that catches my ear with her.

She needs time. She may be really good someday but I think that day isn't quite yet.

March 30, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  50. protogere

Katie looks like she is wearing one of Paige's get ups, it is nice to see her finally not wearing her hair down like a little school girl. For me, she just seemed to be trying too hard to look the part of a bad girl and she just missed. Her vocals were good, but they usually are. They just didn't go with the image she was trying to convey.

March 30, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Checkin In

Katie – wrong song, reminds me of Don (No Soul) Williams from Kentucky Fried Movie.

March 30, 2010 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  52. JC

I have never been a huge fan of Big Mike, but so far tonight he has been the best by far. Besides him, the rest have been awful (Siobhan, Didi, and Tim) or merely just ok (Casey and Andrew). I keep waiting and waiting......When will we have a week in which there are several great performances? I would have thought by week 10, but I guess I was wrong.

March 30, 2010 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Allan

Let's face it! This season has arguably been one of the worst seasons of AI in a very long time, if not ever. I was skeptical whether Usher (whom I like by the way) was going to be able to add some much needed credibility to the season. Surprisingly, he clearly has. Whatever advice he has been giving the contestants have been working wonders; at least for most of the contestants. Well done!

March 30, 2010 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Yo

I'm voting for Andrew because his Mom is awesome! What a funny moment that was. Andrew looked like he was about to die! Oh, and his performance was good too. lol

March 30, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  55. michele

your gonna hate me for this but i don't like andrew at all........but will admit he is better than crystal in my eyes......i like big mike and hopeffully Aaron can pull it off tonight

March 30, 2010 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  56. protogere

Andrew's mom is a riot LoL
    I can't say it enough, I loved Andrew's originality and I am so glad to see him come back and stop trying so hard to please the judges and just enjoy himself!

March 30, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  57. protogere

Mozart you couldn't be more spot on – it doesn't say much to say Usher is a better mentor than Miley, but even more so probably the best they could get for the year. He has been giving them each such specific advice that when they use it you can tell the difference IMMEDIATELY!

March 30, 2010 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  58. wowtim

You know, its about time the guys that watch this show still (guilty) start voting for the girls just because they are pretty, just like all the little girls that will vote for tim because he's cute. At least Katie and Didi have some talent, Tim needs to be on Disney channel starring in a lame kids show for the 6 – 12 year old girl age range. Go KATIE go DIDI, my votes tonight will be for the pretty girls regardless of how bad they might sound! GET RID OF TIM URBAN!!

March 30, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  59. mddiva

Andrew is actually pretty good. I have banned Chris Brown music from my iPod but I actually like this version. I think I would get bored of it too soon but still good for tonight.

March 30, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  60. mozart4898

I have to say here too...Usher is SOOOOOOOO much better as a mentor than Miley was. For that matter, I don't know that they'll have a better one all year. He's giving great advice.

Again, sticking with talking about what they're doing TONIGHT and not through the season as a whole – Andrew sounds so much better tonight. He's got a pleasant voice – not a huge overpowering one but one that you could easily listen to. The sitting and playing guitar works for him – it's the sort of artist he is.

March 30, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  61. protogere

Welcome back Andrew! Gosh this reminds me why I adored him to begin with!

March 30, 2010 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  62. protogere

No Michele LoL but that doesn't surprise me!

March 30, 2010 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  63. michele

did anyone else see kara hanging onto simons hand on the table

March 30, 2010 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  64. protogere

That was super advice for Tim from Usher I think and the power that came out of his voice afterwards was just a huge change! This was Tim's best performance – which is saying something, for the first time I thought he put true emotion into his song which he has lacked every week.
    The performance was still wasn't great, but for Tim it was good. Simon uttered my thoughts exactly – he's here every week no matter how he does. My daughter says it's because he looks like he is trying to look like Zac Effron LoL

March 30, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  65. mozart4898

Seriously folks, Tim is NOT nearly the worst one here. That performance was actually quite good IMO. He's got a great radio voice really (think adult contemporary, not teen pop/top 40 or something), and was better in tune than most of them are.

Sorry, the judges are just flat wrong.

March 30, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Sierra

Teflon Tim just got scraped off with my metal spatula

March 30, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Brownivygal

Why is Tim still here? That put me to sleep.

March 30, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  68. protogere

Yeah Lisa, I agree. Ryan didn't just overstep the line, he trampled all over it! Just so cruel.

March 30, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Loray White

Tim is so artificial in front of the camera. His melody is so 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, Ugh! Give me a break!

March 30, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  70. protogere

What an odd arrangement for that song – it was so cheerful and upbeat, it was really odd. And she hit a few odd notes which is sad because I love Didi. And I just don't understand the badgering from Ryan. Everyone knows about her reasons for auditioning, she was being about as polite as possible to tell him to drop it and he wouldn't. How cruel.

March 30, 2010 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  71. judi

Is Ryan trying to get Didi the sympathy vote? Boohoo something about that song made her cry, doesn't change the fact that she is just not a very good singer.

March 30, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  72. maureen

I love casey he's going to be top 3!!!!

March 30, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Joanne Jones

Michael needs to sing Aaron Nevilles "Don't Know Much"

March 30, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Nena444

I think they are mostly horrible. Don't want to watch it anymore – I think the judges have said just about everything they can that's negative so now they HAVE to find something positive.

March 30, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Loray White

Didi truly has a distinct sound. I close my eyes. listen, and can clearly say, that's Didi B. – however, I agree with the judges, it was flat, understated, confusing, and just -off....

March 30, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  76. mozart4898

Just realized this thread had started a while ago so I'll start commenting in here now lol...

Much better song for Didi this week. She's got a nice natural voice and this song seemed to fit her better. Still not on the level of a couple of the others but it was much better than she has been. But to be honest, I think that performance was actually better than Siobhan tonight. As a whole, no, Didi isn't anywhere near Siobhan but I disagree with the judges – that was the best I think I've heard her really.

March 30, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  77. michele

go big mike goooooooooooo...that was awesomeeeeeeee

March 30, 2010 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  78. protogere

I agree totally Lisa. Big Mike is back with his guitar! I love hearing the emotion that seems to show more when he sings while playing it. I don't get why the judges didn't bother to turn around and watch his performance though – that was tacky.
    I thought this was one of his best performances to date, it was so touching and he sang it so that I felt it. I loved it.

March 30, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Loray White

I give up...

March 30, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Loray White

When I think India Irie, I think Neo-Soul–Erika Badu,etc....There was nothing about Big Mike's performance that touched that era, or made that connection with me. Didn't work for me.

March 30, 2010 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  81. protogere

I'm liking the little backstage glimpse with them after they get off of the stage!

March 30, 2010 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  82. johnathan B Gray

who was that announcing everyone at the beginning of the show? He must be new..

March 30, 2010 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  83. protogere

I really wish Casey would leave his crutch behind when he takes the stage – just once. I know he does play the guitar well and while that's wonderful, it really takes the focus off of his singing and when he misses hits like he did tonight with a few words – it makes it very obvious. But the performance was like Loray said, a nice band performance with a few vocals. He has a great stage presence and I liked his outfit, that red shirt was hot.
    His voice is perfect for this song – reminded me a lot of the Blues Brothers performance of this song. I'm with Ellen though on this one Lisa, she made a point (shocker!) about how he stays in that comfort zone vocally and he does and did again tonight.
    And thanks Ryan, I thought that damn horse was dead. Ugh!

March 30, 2010 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Loray White

'Hold On' Casey. Nothing but band. Wasn't impressed. I must be out of my element because I thought Siobhan was okay and Casey not...

March 30, 2010 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  85. protogere

For once Lisa, I didn't love her and I'm usually a big fan though she isn't my 'chosen' female contestant. I was rather surprised at Siobhan's song choice. Even more surprised that she hit such horrid notes during the chorus – wow for her to be so off key was rather shocking to me, she usually has a better ear for her tone. I don't think it was her best performance ever and yes, it probably could be her worst, but she wasn't so bad that she deserved the 'manslaughter' reference. I do wish she'd stop relying on the screeching note though, it was perfect for the Aretha song weeks ago, but it just doesn't fit for EVERY song there is.
    I loved Usher's advice to her about putting the focus on her voice instead of the eccentric get ups – she looked very classy and like the Grecian goddess Athena.

March 30, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |