March 30th, 2010

'Somewhere Down the Road' for Amy Grant

Amy Grant’s new CD, which releases today, is not so much a collection of old and new as it is a microcosmic look at a career that includes success on the pop and Christian charts, she says.

The album originally was intended to be a catalog release, that is, mostly previously released songs with a few new songs sprinkled in, but Grant, who said she is still constantly writing and recording, said the album evolved as the song selection process went along.

EMI, the record label that owns her catalog of songs, wanted to pair three new songs with nine from her prior work that echoed the journey through life. But Grant kept coming up with new material that she pitched to EMI.

“I have been in the process of recording songs for the past year,” she said by phone. “And when they came up with this idea, we just looked at things at things I had recorded [recently] and chose the songs that we thought made the best package.”

So most of the songs are new and four are from her catalog, including a new version of “Arms of Love,” written in 1982.

Much of the album was recorded at the new recording studio in the home Grant and her husband, country music legend Vince Gill, own near Nashville. Gill helped produce the album and sang background vocals on several songs, including “Arms.”

“Vince is just such a tasteful musician and he was not familiar with that song,” she said. “I just said can we take another run at this and would you help me frame this song in a different setting. I like it so much better than the original.”

Gill and his daughter, Jenny, sang harmonies on the song. It wasn’t the only family contribution. Sarah Chapman, one of Grant’s daughters from her marriage to singer Gary Chapman, sang a duet with her mother on “Overnight.”

It was Sarah’s first time in a studio and at age 17, she is the same age her mother was when Grant began her recording career. Grant said that because of her uncontrollable nervous energy she had to make a conscious effort not to hover and excused herself –- at first -– to the kitchen when Sarah recorded her tracks.

Popular producer Dan Muckala helped produce the song.

“Her daughter is amazing,” he said. “She just took right to it. She did a wonderful job.”

Muckala - who has produced songs on albums by MercyMe, Leona Lewis, CeCeWinans and the Backstreet Boys - said Grant was ever the pro.

“Amy is such an experienced artist,” he said. “She knew exactly wanted and exactly how to get it. But at the same time, she is up for trying anything.”

Muckala also helped produce the first single, “Better Than A Hallelujah,” which is after five weeks is at No. 24 on the Billboard list of most popular Christian songs.

Grant seemed most excited about that song.

“The idea is you don’t have to get all cleaned up to talk to God,” she said. “And it such a great, honest, poignant song.”

Post by:
Filed under: Music

1. Deeann

Anyone who is picking Amy apart has clearly never been married. It is not easy to stay in a long term relationship. Notice how few people are able to do it these days? No one knows what goes on in someone's home on a day to day basis. It's her personal business, not ours. How would it feel to have our relationships picked apart? All of our failures flug out before the media for the vultures to pick apart? Be honest, it would be difficult at best. This is her life. She has children. Please have some respect when you comment. Think about what you write. Amy Grant has done many kind things for other people and made alot of heart felt music. What about that? No comments? Why the focus on such a painful time in not only this woman's life but that of her children? As much as we know of Amy Grant, we do not know her personally. These attacks on her need to stop. Please, before you write something rude think about going through something difficult and how you were just grateful to God you made it to the other side...and life went on...

June 27, 2010 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  2. Jag

C'mon folks. Get over the Amy divorce thing.

Are people seriously still giving her and Vince grief??? I have always thought people were being judgmental... and now I find the "offended" comments laughable.

What I do suggest is that you open your mind and pick up this incredible new album by a talented artist. This is an album about life. And folks, in case you're too busy judging everyone else to notice, life isn't perfect.

Relax... turn up the volume... and enjoy the music of someone who speaks from the heart.

April 2, 2010 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. David

Im glad so many people are defending Amy, asking others not to judge, and moving on with the conversation... but I wish that I would see this more often... if Adultery is wrong and forbidden in the Bible, when one commits it and gets married to person they committed the sin with, why is it OK that people celebrate their marriage, forget about the "sin" and they have a happy life in christian society... while when a person is Gay, they have committed what some call a "sin" and can marry their partner that they committed this "sin" with, but some "Christians" never accept their relationship, never move beyod this suppsed "sin" and would never consider celebrated their relationship or considering them a part of the community...

The same stigma was attached to illegitemate children not too many decades ago, they were always considered illegitemate, and never fully accepted into society, based on the "sins of the father" bible verse they were forced to carry this horrible burden of intolerance and bigotry...

Bible verses have been used to prohibit women preachers (corinthians) to condone slavery (Exodus, Leviticus, Ephesians, many more) to assert that women cannot vote and are subject to their fathers and husbands, and can be sold or bought (deuteronomy, exodus) But the overall message of Jesus was love...

Im glad to see that we are making progress, lets get beyond the name caling, get beyond the selective quoting of Bible verses condemning others to make ourselves feel more "secure"... you can say all you want you are only "hating the sin, loving the sinner" or that its "not what you or I say, but what God says" but society is beginning to be able to see through the feigned modesty and fake love, hate it hate, no matter what pretty package it is wrapped up in... if the poison in your cup is served to you with a smile, it is no less deadly...

April 1, 2010 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  4. Ashlea

Amy, Thank u SO much for another BEAUTIFUL album!!! 'Somewhere Down the Road' is exactly the music I need on my life right now!! My boyfriend of 4 years (well ex-boyfriend now) decided to cheat on me again & I am shattered!! He has moved out & in w/HER!! There are several songs on this album that are speaking directly to me!! Like 'Overnight'!! Your voice is amazing & your songs are beautiful!! I have been a fan since I was 4. I'm now 27 & it seems that whatever is going on in my life...you release the perfect album to help me cope!! I love it!!! Thank you so much & congrats on a masterpiece!!

March 31, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  5. marketmom

Amy was incredibly humble and ever so gracious, as she usually is when she visited THE FISH in Atlanta. Many times she broke...from the pain...But out of her ashes of pain arose beauty..in song and in heart.

I did a video of the day at

Theresa Croft

March 31, 2010 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  6. Matt Villatino

You know, it is significantly annoying that whenever there is anything written about Amy Grant, someone must bring up the divorce thing. And then others allow the conversation to devolve into a he-said/she-said type of Bible interpretation. Wow. This is just so tired, unoriginal and really just pathetic. Do people troll all types of comment boards for the express purpose of finding venues in which to spew their self-righteous drivel? Curiously, it seems that the rudest comments are common between different threads on different boards and websites. In that case, the perversity of some people's obsession with Amy Grant's personal life is truly disturbing...perhaps even comical. Why be a negative fan? Either you follow someone because you like them and their craft or you ignore them whenever possible. Otherwise, you have WAY too much time on your hands. Also, allow me to provide what should be the final word on whether Amy Grant and her actions are evil or not: WE CANNOT SAY. That is for God to say. Personally, I am too busy contemplating my own moral shortcomings; but thank goodness we have so many kind human beings willing and able, by virtue of their own blamelessness, to do God's work for Him. Finally, I would like to point out that in all manner of media and debate, the anonymity that the internet affords has been the biggest opponent to actually making a good, logical and respectful point and to staying on topic. I guess anonymity provides the cloak that cowardly, ignorant and hypocritical people require for sharing their shallow minds. God bless!
    Now, back on topic, Somewhere Down the Road is truly a stellar album. Check it out!

Matt Villatino

March 31, 2010 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  7. david

what does all this banter and "holier than thou" isms have to do with Amy releasing a new CD? Hug your child and/or spouse. Smile, enjoy life. Love Jesus. Life is short.

March 31, 2010 at 4:44 am | Report abuse |
  8. Sweet Lady

Redemption, sanctification–processes Christians go through their whole lives until we are finally made perfect and are with Christ Himself. Praise my (and Amy's) Kinsman-Redeemer!

March 31, 2010 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
  9. Jason

Well, Ella Jay, as you can see, this message board is a testament to the imperfections of Christians. We're all working on something. I'm sorry so many choose to express their feelings so strongly and accusatory toward you. You've got a point – there are too many of us who can excuse things when they're inconvenient. Perhaps that point hits too close to home. We're each individually imperfect and many of us are still learning how to live out the life style we profess.

March 30, 2010 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  10. kathie

You know, ella jay, you must really enjoy the view from your glass house. Must get pretty cold in there tho with all that wind. You must be the ONLY perfect person in the world. It is very possible to fall in love when you aren't looking.

March 30, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  11. mrk32

No mention of her ex's drug and alcohol abuse. She stayed with that marriage longer than most would.

March 30, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. eljaykid

Of course Christians aren't perfect. My issue with Amy & Vince is that they say they didn't have an affair because there was no physical contact. But they both freely admit that they fell in love while still married. I don't expect them to be perfect, but I wish they wouldn't have tried to justify their mistake. At one point they talked about God wanting them to be happy. Give me a break.

March 30, 2010 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  13. lyn

"House of Love" came out in the 90's, when I was going thru a sad divorce. I was in tears every night, suffering insomnia. I bought that CD, and it started healing me. The songs, like Oh How the Years Go By and Big Yellow Taxi ...I just started singing and healing.
    I will always love Amy Grant for that reason.

March 30, 2010 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  14. gaye

Beautiful music from a beautiful and sweet spirited woman. I am so thankful that Amy keeps writing and recording. This is a definite and joyful new addition to my collection today. Appreciate the beauty, relevancy, and soulfulness. "Better Than a Hallelujah" and "Overnight" (with daughter Sarah) are beautiful. I could say something about each tune but won't go on that long–suffice it to say that the previously released and the new together are a great gift to welcome in spring. This collection is a nice melting pot of beautiful rich harmonies, tasteful and stripped down acoustic arrangements, and great percussive-soulful-multi-ethnic flavors with excellent musicianship throughout. Hope to see Amy again soon somewhere out there on the road. I can't speak for anyone else but her music is always a comfort and an inspiration (for me personally) to be a better person in this world, regardless of beliefs or religion.

March 30, 2010 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  15. melanie

Wayne, Barbara, i definitely agree! we Christians are not perfect, only forgiven when asking with a true heart. I would not presume to know what goes on in someone elses marriage to judge them and why they did what ever they did. we've all made mistakes, i'm just very thankful mine weren't in the newspaper or tabloid or entertainment show for everyone to know about and comment on :)

March 30, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  16. mizik2

have you ever heard of redemption, grace, mercy, forgiveness?
    have you ever heard that GOD allow " U" turn?
    As far as God is concerned she is justified?cleaned and made new because His blood washes her clean as new. To anyone who dares display her guilt ...you also can use some grace , mercy and forgiveness of sins.

March 30, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  17. ZeeZee

Perhaps your memory is flawed because they were both seperated at the time they got together. Both had filed for divorce and were living seperately from their spouses. Leave the judgement to HE who is most qualified to judge, because you are no where near filling that job description.
    Christianity is anything but a convenient religion...its hard and challenging and tough, but beautiful, wonderful and smart. And the best part is that I am surrounded by other flawed, broken people who help me out, keep me grounded, and humble. I love AMY GRANT and have since I was a kid in the 80's just starting out in my walk. THANK YOU AMY for being human!

March 30, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Stephanie

I stopped listening to Amy and Vince's music aALONG TIME AGO.

After he went on a nightly tv show, allowed cameras into his house and bragged about what a great father he was and how much he loved his wife and how they had taken in one of their daughters' friends because the friends' parents were having martial problems.

All the while he and Amy were knocking the boots.

I believe this was also the year she won Female Christian Artist of the year.

Anxious to see which of their cheating ways come back first...

March 30, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  19. wayne

Andrew: What are some of Amy's old songs that are on the new album? I'm sure I'll get it no matter what. I've always loved her since she started back in the early 80's with Sing Your Praise to the Lord.

March 30, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Andrew

If you haven't already purchased this album, pick one up ASAP. I have been a fan of Amy's since the early '08s and I can honestly say, this is one of her best albums...

March 30, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  21. wayne

Pour Ella Jay...Perhaps YOU missed the part in the bible that says "let he, or in your case, she who is without sin cast the first stone. Your silly notion that "christian" equals "perfect" or free from the same ills and pitfalls of everyone else is perhaps your rationalization for why you're "not" a christian. Though Amy Grant's judgement may have been poor, it's God's to judge, not ours. Unless God's planning to resign and make you Lord over the universe, I'm sure dealing with your "very private" indiscretions will keep you, and most of us, if we're honest with ourselves, far, far away from the rock pile. Much love and continued success to Amy Grant.

March 30, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  22. RB

I agree with Ella Jay......The "christian" thing to do would have been to end one relationship before testing another.....That's just common decency. And that's not a mistake that's an "on purpose".

March 30, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Teri

Love Amy Grant! Glad to hear she's got a new CD coming out.

March 30, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Barbara

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone," No Christian in their right mind would profess to being perfect. Christianity is a "process". ALL of us have faults – Christian or not.

March 30, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  25. My Comment

So Ella Jay....have you ever made a mistake in your life? Most Christians believe in forgiveness. Any reason you feel compelled to put up such an insensitive posting? it is nice that they are still married. Her ex had a few "control" issues.

March 30, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  26. ella jay

nice that their marriage has lasted so far. does anybody remember when amy grant, the fresh, "christian" singer, left her husband for a married man?

sounds like christianity is another convenient religion. apparently she skipped the 'thou shalt not commit adultery' bible school class.

March 30, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Pat Purvis

I listen to Amy talk on The Joy FM radio show yesterday. I could hear in her voice how proud she was of her daughter.

March 30, 2010 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |