March 30th, 2010

Big changes for 'So You Think You Can Dance'

The collective gasp you heard yesterday came from many hardcore fans of Fox's "So You Think You Can Dance," when judge/executive producer Nigel Lythgoe announced some major changes to the show's format.

For the past several days, Lythgoe had been tweeting a few hints as to what they had in store for season seven: No more top 20 dancers, partners would change each week... but no one could have predicted the big bombshell to come.

Lythgoe announced to his Twitter followers (and in a conference call to reporters) that the reason that there will no longer be a top 20 is that the top 10 dancers would be paired up with some all-stars from past seasons. "The dancers will change partners each week picked from an 'All-Star Pool.' Each 'All-star' will be a specialist in specific genres of dance," he said.

So, in some ways, "SYTYCD" will now more closely resemble "Dancing with the Stars," with the contestants dancing with "pros." Most fans of the show will probably welcome the chance to see some of their favorites take the stage again (Pasha and Kayla seem like "all-star" shoo-ins.) On the other hand, it seems that the emergence of favorite couples, such as Katee and Joshua and Allison and Ivan, will be a thing of the past, not to mention the fact that 10 fewer dancers will make it to the "big show" (season six's Ashleigh, for example, almost certainly would never have made it as far as she did in season seven).

What do you think of these changes? Are you looking forward to seeing your favorites return, or do you prefer the original format? And are you excited to see Mary Murphy and Mia Michaels return to choreography this year?

1. Alejandro Nipper

Its like you read my mind! You appear to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I believe that you can do with some pics to drive the message home a bit, but rather of that, this really is great blog. A great read. I’ll surely be back.

December 3, 2011 at 6:10 am | Report abuse |
  2. usa soccer

This article could be very appealing to contemplating folks like me. It is not only thought-provoking, it draws you in from the beginning. It is well-written subject material. The views here are also appealing to me. Thanks.

September 3, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  3. Carley

I HATE IT!!!! The format was GREAT the way it was! Please change it back. The change has added a cheesyness factor to the series and taken away from the level of quality. I do not like DWTS and found SYTYCD to be way above that type of format and program. I was looking so forward to the new season. I cant stand the change and I am not enjoying the show as I have all previous seasons. Not sure I will continue watching. Huge dissapointment!!!

June 23, 2010 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  4. Kathleen

Why change a perfect show? I do not like the new format!

June 10, 2010 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. RosieKaPosie

This picture shows to dancers on a dining table – I thought this routine was incredible, but, can no longer remember who performed this routine – who remembers who these two are?

May 28, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Kittenface

I don't like the idea of the new format, its just like Dancing with the Stars – which I don't watch anymore. Part of the excitement with the show is watching "unknowns" coming from different dancing backgrounds try out/improve/develop their skills over the course of the show. I am disappointed with the new format.

April 2, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jewel2

I agree with Amanda and with Melissa in their comments. Pairing 2 people with different areas of focus (contemporary & broadway) in a style that's less familiar to both (say, hip-hop or African) made it very interesting and a good test of their skills as all-around dancers. Pairing either one with an expert in a particular style will make it just as dull as the cooking shows where a "home cook" is paired with a celebrity chef! It's hard to look bad when your partner is that good.

Also, it's bound to change the voting. I, too, believe people will vote for the experts and not think about the actual contestant's performance. We already see the dances being choreographed to emphasize a certain talent of one dancer and de-emphasize a weakness in their partner. That's only likely to get worse with these additions!

March 31, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. lisa

I love the show as it is, although its length is a bit ridiculous. i don't like the idea of the changes at all. keep it as it is, that is why we love it!

March 31, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Michelle H

This change doesn't make me dance with joy. My favorites have rarely been the judge's favorites. In fact, some of their golden children have irked the heck out of me. The best thing about the end of a season is knowing I'd never have to see some of the dancers again. Now I have to worry that tuning in will mean another season of Katee's stupid grin. Or another round of Twitch butt kissing. No thanks!

March 31, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Candycane927

I am disappointed to hear the changes. I love the show and was so happy it wasn't like DWTS since I don't really like that show. I wish Nigel would have realized that SYTYCD is so great and doesn't have to conform to anybody elses way of doing things. I will still be a fan of SYTYCD just wish it was as it used to be.

March 31, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Melissa

Did anyone think about the fact that people will be voting for the past people and not the people who are really trying to win? People are supposed to look past the "stars" and vote just for the new people, that will not happen. If Kayla or Nick come on the show and someone really liked them then chances are they will vote for them. This will not turn out to be fair, and I do not think they thought this through very hard.

Oh.. and bring back the old stage, the giant screen is really annoying.

March 31, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  12. jenson

Oh and also, I too preferred the old stage. This one is ok for maybe the finale, but the old stage was more intimate and you got to focus on the dancers more rather than the sometimes distracting and overwhelming lighting and background.

March 31, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  13. jenson

I agree with those saying keep the top 20 then when we get to the top 10 pair them with past stars. I am sooooo happy Mia will be choreographing again! Love her work. As an ex-professional dancer, now teacher and choreographer myself, I like the idea of changing partners every week. Adds more of a challenge for these super talented dancers.

March 31, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  14. FS

Love Mia....missed her last season.

March 31, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Tsunami

Why is SYTYCD changing a great thing they had? They had six successful seasons (well, their attempt at a fall season was fraught with problems, but nevermind). Why tamper with success? There's a reason I don't watch DWTS, and I fear that's what this show will become. I love having 20 fresh new dancers to root for, and the suspense of who will make the top 10, and the fun partnerships that emerge where two new dancers can help each other grow. I am against this new format.

March 31, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Kathy

NOOOOOOOOOOOO CHANGES! It's perfect the way it is! Except for the absence of Shane Sparks at the judges table........

Leave my show alone!

March 31, 2010 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  17. Linda

I would like to see them pick one guy and one girl instead of just one person. I hate when they split up the partners and make them go against one another. It doesn't seem fair. Thank you.

March 31, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  18. Smiley54

NOT FAIR NOT FAIR NOT RIGHT!!!. Ever hear of the ole saying...if it isn't broken don't fix it? Well, that's how I feel about the "change up". Bringing in the pros is entertainment and perhaps there are those who would not mind but, I thought the show's values was about finding a star...not being entertained by one. There has to be a better way of bringing in change.

March 31, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  19. Suzanne

I think this will be great...the show is great either way. However, as long as the "all stars" are truly all-stars along the likes of Nick Lazzarini, Blake & Danny.

March 31, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  20. Sean

Sorry Nigel, I think this is a huge mis-step. Half the fun of the show is watching the couples develop as couples and the passion they have for the dance (and perhaps each other.....). How many times in the previous seasons have you and the other judges commented on the lack of a "emotional connection" between partners? I think it is going to be pretty hard now to establish a "emotional connection" with a different partner each week. I understand the desire to mix it up and keep the show fresh but this was not the way.

March 31, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  21. Lynn

Mia can be back as a choregrapher ONLY but I hope not a judge. I do not like her as a judge, but as choregrapher, she's great.

I don't know if I like the SOUND of the new format, but will have to wait and see how it goes when it airs with the new format. I don't think anybody can really say if they like it or not at this point. I do have to say though that I think the "pros" coming back already had their time to "shine", now it should be somebody else's turn. So 10 people will be deprived of that now. So for now, that's my only "negative" about what's coming up in the show's new season.

March 31, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  22. Trena

As long as they bring "BRANDON" back! I can handle anything, but he was the BEST dancer in the history of SYTYCD. I'm not sure why he didn't win (not to take anything from the winner that season), because he was AWESOME! Wonder what he's doing now...Hopefully he'll be back on SYTYCD!

March 31, 2010 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  23. citizenUSA

They need a new show, DYTYCCOTC = DO YOU THINK YOU CAN CUT OUT THIS CRAP.

March 31, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  24. Joel

Love Mia's work; bring it back! Don't bring her back as a judge, wierd and off-putting.

March 31, 2010 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  25. bea

The new stage is awful. I am really looking forward to Mia's return though; she was really missed last season.

March 31, 2010 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  26. Toronto Slim

The problems began last year with the quickie second season and distracting new set. Now this. The originally show was great – small, folksy and dedicated to showcasing the young dancers. It seems to be a network TV policy – if it ain't broke, break it.

March 31, 2010 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  27. Donna Pell

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Love it just the way it is. The other "stars" had their chance, keep the dancers fresh.

March 31, 2010 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  28. Bobby

You fail to include one of the other big changes: one elimination per week instead of two...so the amount of time for the show will remain the same.

March 31, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  29. andrew

WHY FIX WHAT ISN'T BROKE???

I always am happy to see past contestants come back for special performances, to choreograph, etc. BUT not to compete WITH the contestants!! No no no no, I do not like that at ALL!

I was happy with the Top 20. The ONLY thing I like is that the pairs will be switching off.

OK I lied, one more thing I like is the return of MIA MICHAELS!!! She was sorely missed from last season and I cannot wait to see what artistry she'll gift us this year!!

March 31, 2010 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  30. Liz

Don't like the changes AT ALL. I absolutely HATE dancing with the stars. Those pros who will be coming back this season's SYTYCD only got their start BECAUSE of being on SYTYCD. With 10 less contestants, I believe the show is leaving us with a lack of talent and entertainment. I will watch to see how it unravels, but it looks like for me my favorite show will no longer be my favorite show. Thanks a lot.

March 31, 2010 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  31. Connie

I prefer the original format. New format is too much like DWTS.

March 31, 2010 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  32. rouan

I am SO disappointed. SYTYCD has been my absolute favorite show to watch. I agree with the above comments about watching the dancers grow and develop through the season. My favorite seasons were 2 & 3. I haven't seen any routines that have captured my soul since then, although there have been some very good ones.

I, too, think this is the beginning of the end. I do watch DWTS now and then, but I can take it or leave it. I much prefer SYTYCD with the "real" dancers. I couldn't wait for summer to get here so I could watch it, but I guess I'll have to find something else to do instead.

March 31, 2010 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  33. Eve Lynne

This is a bad idea! I don't like it......dumb.

March 31, 2010 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  34. camman

If its not broken, don't fix it. Mary has to go.

March 31, 2010 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  35. angela

I think this may be the beginning of the end. I will see how the show runs but I cant stand dancing with the star so knowing that this will kind of end up being like that automatically puts it in the "not so good" pile. We'll see though. But just like Idol decided to make its changes this year, no Paula and adding Elen. You can already tell that show wont be around all that much longer. Its gone down hill this year real fast and sadly I suspect SYTYCD will be doing the same. I love some of the past dancers but dont desire to see them all the time again. They had their oppertunity on stage, I want to see others have that same oppertunity.

March 31, 2010 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  36. one less fan

I think what stood this show apart from DWTS is the amateur dancers growing and learning together. I'm sad that they are messing with the format. Another good show headed down the tubes.

March 31, 2010 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  37. Pat A

I really enjoyed SYTYCD because it focused on the amateur dancers who were trying to find a career in their love of the art. With this new format, there not much difference between SYTYCD and DWTS. Since I have no desire to see DWTS, I guess I'll be saying goodbye to my favorite summer show.

Oh, well, gives me more time for the golf course...

March 31, 2010 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  38. Mike

How is this like DWTS? The only "stars" are people from previous seasons of the same show. Since they aren't coming from other popular venues, they won't attract new viewers.

March 31, 2010 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  39. Sharon

I don't see why they want to change a winning format...I think it's stupid.

March 31, 2010 at 6:29 am | Report abuse |
  40. Pam T.

I don't think I'm going to like the change, but I can't say that I'm disappointed at seeing Joshua back on the show.

March 31, 2010 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
  41. Bassalot

I actually challenge myself to hit the mute button just as Mary opens her mouth to do that bone ratteling scream.

March 31, 2010 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
  42. Dave

Put it back on the small stage – much more intimate. Putting it on the big stage for entire season will kill this show. or bring the stage out into the audience.

March 31, 2010 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  43. jhu student

Actually they should have a top 20. Then when it gets to the top 10, pair them up with the all-stars. If that is too many episodes, just keep cutting 2 contestants a week (whether in the couples round of top 20 or the all-star thing for the top 10). Keep some of the old while introducing some of the new.

March 31, 2010 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  44. Melissa

To Grumpy: Katee was never a "20". They only did that to pit her against her best friend, whom they never were truly considering, just to create drama.

I don't like this idea, as much as I'd love to see my beloved Joshua, Katee, and Danny dance again. They've already chosen Twitch, a likable, but non-versatile dancer as their first "All Star". Yawn. They've eliminated winners, so out goes Benji, Joshua, and Jeanine, all three of them proven performers and good partners as well. Nigel's obviously going to pick HIS favorites (Kayla, Lauren, Will, Twitch, of course), not the public's. Things went downhill beginning with season 5 and I'm afraid this sounds the death knell. For me, at least. Oh, well. It gives me my summers back.

March 30, 2010 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  45. JJ4960

If I can see Katee dance again, then I'm all for this new format...

March 30, 2010 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  46. JJ4960

Lacey didn't win on SYTYCD....she came in fourth.

March 30, 2010 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Heather

I'd watch the show if they took Mary off. Her voice and screaming makes me wish I was deaf.

March 30, 2010 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  48. JessieVA

When the dancers made it to the top 20 they were raw talent and a huge attraction of the show was watching them develop as they progressed through all the dances that were not their specialty but they matured as performers each week. The new format will eliminate the opportunity for 10 newbies to grow and develop into real pros. This strikes me as a cost cutting measure. Instead of having to pay top of the line pros to work with the couples they can pay former contestants far less money. I know of no other format that gives so many young dancers such a great proving ground. Cutting the field in half robs 10 dancers of a chance to really be exposed to some of the best choreographers in the industry. It's sad.

March 30, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Matt Hyra

The show didn't do so well ratings-wise during the fall season, so they are making a change to get it back up there. Too late to change the producer's minds for the upcoming season, so our comments are not all that useful.

I'd prefer to see the old faves come back as choreographers. If they just come back and dance we don't get to see their growth.

March 30, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  50. VoxBovina

Couldn't care less if they change it to all nude with fire and sparklers as long as Mary Murphy is there I'm not! I'd rather be flayed than listen to that shrill harpy shredding the air with that gawdawful, shrieking sound she makes in her desperate, painful attempt to mimic spoken language.

March 30, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  51. bailes

Not sure if I like it. Maybe it would be fun to have an All-Stars week or two...

March 30, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Isay

I don't think this show should follow "dancing with the stars". I like to see the raw dancers paired up. Not pair with the winners. Nygel, it's not a good idea!!!

March 30, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Allison

The only reason for this is because the show peaked in season two and has been getting prgressively worse. It makes sense to bring back the Heidi's and Benji's of yester-year. I absolutely LOVED SYTYCD in seasons two and three, but I couldn't care less to ever see it again. I'm so on to the tricks up their sleeves.

March 30, 2010 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Dancefan

SYTYCD is great as it is, why change it. Although it will be great to see some of the allstars, I will miss the top 20.

March 30, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  55. stagepuppy

@Nigel:

The loyal fans of SYTYCD largely seem to dislike DWTS, myself included. I've never been a fan of Pro-Am, especially when it's stars who are either ringers or uncoordinated. It's the one reality show in which the drama is minimal compared to the action. You gave unknowns a show on which they could shine, and magical pairings can and have emerged, please pay heed to the many fans who have helped keep the show popular.

March 30, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  56. CAB

Hooked on the show at season two. Wade Robson and Mia Michaels were my top two choreographers, who produced memmorable numbers still saved on my DVR to this day. Stage change lost some of the element, but reducing the total of up and coming dancers will affect viewership. Total pleasure to see old contestants return for choreography like Travis, Pasha, etc because they shake up the dance routines with fresh perspective (however disco numbers seem to be the true test ... and a kiss of death in many cases). Each contestant grows at different levels and showcases indivual talent. Half the growth is half the interest. The raw talent performance is what Emmy's are about. Shot at those prizes will also be reduced. And too bad, because I do appreciate the teaching constructive criticism that Nigel offers. He is not listening to viewers and needs some constructive criticism in return.

March 30, 2010 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Grumpy

Remember – Katie was #20.

With the proposed new format we will never get another Katie !!

March 30, 2010 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  58. shaylove

Change the stage back to the old one! The show hasn't been the same since they changed it. The dances are impersonal. Any other changes the make now won't make any difference for the better unless they improve the stage by changing it back.

March 30, 2010 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Grumpy

Don't do it Nigel !!

I love SYTYCD.

But, I hate any All-Stars concepts. Survivor, The Amazing Race, Big Brother. All these shows suffer from recycled has-beens.

Just bring in 20 new, fresh people and let the has-beens drift away.

I do like the switching partners bit as it becomes unfair when a 'super pair' emerges and dominates.

March 30, 2010 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Coresa

I'm so thrilled Mia Michaels will be back to choreograph, she is an amazing artist!!!! I'd give almost anything to be trained by her, I had a hard time watching last season without her talent there every week. Wish they'd bring back Shane Spraks thought also, I watch for the dances, not the dancers! A dancer can be great but without great choreography, its kinda pointless... and vise-versa. A great dancer with bad choreography, can't showcase any real talent. Can't wait to see Mia's dances again!

March 30, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  61. moon627

PLEASE DONT !!

I love SYTYCD – its my all time favorite show

and I HATE DWTS !!

why make these changes ?
    whose F**ing idea is that ?
    why mess with a good thing ?!?!

March 30, 2010 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  62. BJ

I liked new dancers and showing off their unique talent. I think it's OK to bring back the old winners in "special" dances, but in my opinion it's better to have all new faces. I also liked when they changed partners often, rather than "couples". No to DWTS – don't watch it and hope SYTYCD doesn't use any format even sightly resembling it....

March 30, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  63. daloudfriend

I like the idea of a diff pairing each week. Think they should not be paired with past stars unless you are going to do it on results shows. I agree that this change is taking away from what i thought the original point(to give aspiring dancers a way to showcase their skills) of this show was. I also agree to bring back diff guest judge each week. Love Mia cant wait to see more of her work.

March 30, 2010 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  64. laughoutloud

I am laughing because I remember so well Nigel putting down Dancing with the Stars.. He stated how much better his show was than theirs... Sounds to me like he is now copying their format.....

March 30, 2010 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Arggg

I can see why they would do this – it prevents some unfairness in judging. I remember when Lacey carried Kameron right into the top ten – just because she was a great dancer (he wasn't). That wasn't fair. It's good to change things up a little once in a while, anyway.

March 30, 2010 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Paul

I hope they bring Jakob back... he was one of the best dancers I have seen.

March 30, 2010 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Bill - Los Angeles CA

First, let me just say that I LOVE this show! I love it because I get to watch unknown talent grow their skill set and earn fan loyalty as the season goes on. I love it because Cat Deeley is an outstanding host. I love it because most of the choreographers are amazing. I am worried that too many changes will cause the fans to lose interest... I'm willing to stick with it to find out...

March 30, 2010 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Hahahah

All I'm going to say is LMAO!!!! @ NapaGal.

March 30, 2010 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Jewel

Don't bring in the pros, don't cut the number to 10, SYTYCD is the best dance show on TV, and now this will probably be it's last season. Once you lose your audience, it is hard to get it back, don't make the changes!!! With only 10 dancers, the interest won't be there anylonger; your changes are going to be a big mistake.

March 30, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  70. J. R.

MIA: Michaels injured her back prior to the last season, and has been rehabbing since.

STAGE: They had a better budget to justify a larger facility and stage, but apparently not enough to buy more cameras. Hopefully they have more of a budget to add more cameras. Otherwise, as they say, "epic fail."

ADAM: Shankman is the best judge of the lot, because he's more of a teacher and thus his comments can be true constructive criticism.

SHARK?: I'm more than willing to give this new format a shot, but methinks we've heard the splash...

March 30, 2010 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  71. SM

HATE IT!! I love seeing the chemistry and trepidation of 2 brand new contestants going thru the experience together for the first time. I don't want to watch someone be "coached" by an "all-star". And I don't want to see old contestants either.. if I did, i would just watch reruns. I want to see new people dance. I really think it's a shame that they're taking away an opportunity for 10 other dancers so that the old ones who already had their turn can come back. SUCKS

March 30, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  72. amanda

UGH! If I wanted DWTS, I would watch that.

But I love SYTYCD. If they want to do this, at least keep the Top 20 and have the final 10 pair up with All Stars. But I want the All Stars to come back and choreograph, or show us what they can do now.

The beauty of SYTYCD is you have a ballerina and a ballroom dancer dancing hip hop together. With this change, we will have a ballerina and an *obviously excellent* ballroom dancer dancing ballroom. Boring!

I'll be glad to have Mia back, but I will miss the large group numbers. And I will miss having 20 excellent, new dancers to watch.

I think the beginning of the end was the decision to have two seasons back to back. This is another nail in the coffin.

March 30, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Kelli

I Loved the old format because it allowed the couple to grow together. This new format is to much like Dancing with the stars and I HATE that show!!!! I am happy to see some of my old favorites dance...BUT not with the newbies! This is the newbies time to shine and be in the spotlight, the veterans had their time and Im afraid that they will overshadow the newcomers because they are already familiar to the audience. This is actually making me think twice about the show...the fact that it was DIFFERENT from Dancing with the Stars and other dancing shows is what made it so amazing. BUT now that it is trying to be like all the rest makes it less appealing! I will have to watch the first episode to make a final opinion....

March 30, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  74. mmbee

This is really disappointing. The dancers in the "All-Star Pool" have already made their debut into the dancing world. As much as we may love to watch them (and I do!), I think it is taking away a wonderful opportunity for 10 other talented dancers who have been waiting and training for their "big break". This show used to be a platform for dancers to break into the industry and showcase their talent. What happened to that?

March 30, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Milly

It doesn't sound like a winner to me. One of the great things about the format has been the pairings of the contestants and seeing their chemistry develop throughout the weeks. Past winners might just outshine the newbies and overshadow them too much. And I agree it might just come off as another DWTS show. Although I do like to see past outstanding performers, I don't think I like the idea as proposed. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind.

March 30, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  76. gema

Oh nooooooooo – it's Ugly Betty all over again. They made changes and now they are cancelled, besides – two shows a year was too much for me anyway. I liked it when I couldn't wait for the show to come back in the spring/summer – and now, it's forced entertainment – in short – not watching. And me too, I hate changes :o(

March 30, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Katy DeBardeleben

That completely changes the format of the show. Not only does it take away ten people, but it's too much like "Dancing with the Stars." I mean, ten people, really?! I guess that means no more grand opening numbers anymore. Hard core fans(like myself) of "So You Think you can Dance" are not going to want to see newbies paried up with pros. Sure we love certain people from past seasons, but those former cast members had their time in the spotlight and need to move on in their careers. I would much rather see the pros come back as guest choreographers. It's part of the shows charm and I don't think the changes will be for the better. Bad job Nigel Lithgow!

March 30, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Molly

Very sad to see only 10 new dancers instead of 20. There is so much talent out there. I love the all-star alums, but we need to see new people! That's the fun of getting into the show. Observing and learning about new people, and having time to fall in love with certain dancers.

Agree – old stage is better than new one.
    Agree – Mia Michaels better come back!
    Agree – Mary needs to tone down the shrieking.

I totally love Adam Shankman – but having a guest pro as judge was always so fun! I miss hearing the wonderful comments of C, Tyce, etc.

March 30, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Alfred

Wow...how depressing. This show was one of the few dance shows that wasn't dress and actually had some class. Now we see how it will become just another crappy show on TV.

March 30, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Carolyn

Yes! very excited to see Mia Michaels return to choreography this year...both of them, actually.
    Yes...I think the changes Nigel has in mind will make it more fair for the best dancers b/c if you get paired with one of the weak dancers, it is really difficult to be your best. If they are paired with an excellent dancer – a "pro"- they will be pushed to be even better.
    I absolutely LOVE SYTYCD! It is much better than Dancing with the Stars in my opinion.

March 30, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  81. rhett

I t hink that it will be much tougher to pick a top 10 than top 20. So many dancers in past seasons emerged to become execeptional dancers from the bottom of the pack. I think that we might miss out on some exciting routines by limiting it to top 10. I agree with Hillary Ann. Her idea would be a great compromise. Bring the Pros in after the top 20 reach the top 10. I enjoy watching the growth of these extrmemly talented individuals.

March 30, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Sondra

I also agree if they got rid of Mary Murphy, it would be easier to watch. The changes that Nigel is suggesting will ruin the show and lose the fans. We love to watch but it is close to other Dancing shows (dwts) I will not waste my time.

March 30, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  83. bah

If I wanted to watch DWTS, I would watch it. I watch SYTYCD because of the format and the flow of the show that makes it so much more exciting. I hate this change.

March 30, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  84. jen

I think it's a great idea. I've seen great dancers be voted off because their partners sucked, or kept on because their partner was a favorite. Maybe this will level the playing field.

March 30, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  85. mixy

i don't really like this idea! the reason i watch so you think you can dance in stead of other shows is becuase of the format and now that they are changing it, it makes me sad :(

March 30, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Ray

I was hoping the big change was the departure of Mary Murphy – it would be a great show without all her shrieking.

March 30, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  87. kk

As much as I loved this show, I had to stop watching it because I just couldn't handle Mary Murphy's screeching and corniness.

Shame too, that it is now leaving a very successful format. :(

March 30, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Buford

Hate this change. I'm on board with the majority of people here. It this becomes DWTS, I'm dumping the show.

March 30, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Nika

I'm not sure about this new step up...I love the old dancers don't get me wrong! But I also love seeing new faces, i looove watching the top 20!

March 30, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  90. GirlCrush

I don't like this idea at all. Many of the previous comments nailed it...it's going to become DWTS lite. I don't watch DWTS, I don't like the concept. I like watching "new" talent develop. I don't think the show was hurting or is near the end...they were still reporting record numbers of votes for almost every episode. I think they're attempting to "jazz" things up a bit, for lack of a better term, when it isn't needed. The number of viewers who stay with the show through the entire season will have the final say, I'm sure...whichever way that goes.

March 30, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Mikebr

Can you say, "Jumping the Shark?"

March 30, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Tracey

that sucks... I hate DWTS ~ love SYTYCD format ... Hope its good or I will be turning the channel ... thats whats the matter with these shows ... have they ever heard don't fix it if it ain't broke.... or stop trying to be like others be original .... Nigel I'm soooo disappointed!

March 30, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Debbie

I like the switching partners each week and the return of Mia and Mary as choreographers, but I really don't care to see the contestants paired with "professionals". What made this show original was to watch how 20 dancers progressed throughout the season. Bad call in my opinion.

March 30, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Judi

Why mess it up – Its already a great show that I can't wait to see each season.

March 30, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Sam

I am defintily curious. I am looking forward to some old faces. As long as the format is different then season 6 where russell won. That was a horrible format and it felt rushed and just wrong. I am not too concerned because the canadian version is still older format, top 20 whatnot so even if the new format leaves a bad taste in my mouth I still have the canadian version

March 30, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  96. sally

I agree that Mary Murphy makes the show unwatchable. Her awful
    screeching, yelling, and acting like an idiot spoils the show. I prefer
    to watch DWTS anyhow, and will not watch this show again, due to
    her REALLY obnoxious behavior. Does she think this is cute, or what?
    Ugh.

March 30, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Denizen Kate, San Jose

I would love to be able to watch this show, I love the dancing, but every time Mary Murphy opens her mouth, a screech comes out that makes me grind my molars. I've tried muting during her feedback, but then I miss some of the things others say. She makes the show unwatchable for me.

March 30, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Kim

This format will ruin the show for me. I liked watching the 20 performers grow during the course of the season, as well as the connection that was forged each week. This is turning in the DWTS - a show that I never followed. Nigel, what were you thinking? The format for this show was fine, now you've gone and messed it up. Good luck with your ratings - this could very well be the show's last seson.

March 30, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Eleanor

I'm sad to think that some of the late bloomers will be passed over…and I'll certainly miss the development of some of those magical pairings. I'm sad, but I'll still watch. :(

March 30, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Julia

NO, NO, NO!!!!! I don't like this idea at all. If I want to watch "Dancing with the Stars" I'll watch DWTS. I want to see 20 unknown dancers show what they are made of. I enjoy seeing past dancers, when they come to dance on the show as a special treat, but not like this. Please, please, please reconsider.

I'm thrilled Mia is coming back to choreograph. I have missed her alot.

March 30, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  101. kit

this is the reason my i DON'T watch dancing with the stars. These changes change the whole concept of the show,go back to the old set and the old rules. The reason why dwts gets more views is becuase you keep changing the show. I dont think I'll watch and if i do I'll watch Pasha and go.

March 30, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Katie

I hate "Dancing with the Stars"! If SYTYCD is turning into that I'm tuning out!

March 30, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Georgia Sells

Do not change it, I loved the way it was!

March 30, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  104. LynneNY

The return of Mia Micheal is great news. Her pieces are always compelling and dramatic . I love her work.

March 30, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  105. MVW

BTW.... what DID happen to Mia? Why wasn't she on last season? I never did find out.... Her choreography is brilliant!

March 30, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  106. MVW

I liked it better the original format. I really liked see the "favorite" pairings... and how they grew together as a dancing couple. I don't WANT it to be like Dancing with the Stars. I love DWTS...but I love my
    SYTYCD more!

March 30, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Deb

Love SYTYCD as is! (Except for the new stage)

We already have a "Dancing with the Starts" we don't need another one. The past "Stars" (Twitch, Lacy, Katie, Kayla and Evan ...) should come back as judges or to choreograph the dances.

LOVE Mia, glad she will be back.

March 30, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  108. whatthehellever

Yes, it's going to be too much like Dancing with the Stars. It was just find the way it was. However, I could seriously do without Mary's screeching. I hold the remote thru the entire show and turn it down when I see her working up to one. It's just horrible. Please, Nygel, please don't change anything!

March 30, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  109. SYTYCD Fan

I like the change of switching partners each week. I've often thought that a good dancer was being handicapped by their partner. Or that a dancer was staying longer than they should because their partner was a fan favorite.
    I'm not happy about bringing back past dancers though. We've seen them already and they've had their chance. I want to see the new talent and what they can do. I thought that was what this show was about. Discovering new dancers and allowing them the opportunity to pursue their dream and show the world what they can do. I think this will take the spotlight away from the contestants and turn the focus on the "pros".
    After all the times Nigel has criticized the "other dance show", it sounds like now he's afraid that DWTS is going to outshine him, especially in the ratings.

March 30, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Toni

Anne – Lacie didn't win when she was on SYTYCD. I believe she ended up 3rd to Sabra and Danny.

March 30, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Sandi Mc

I agree with the comment by Hillary Ann. It is refreshing to see how the top 20 progress throughout the show. Once they reach the top 10 the new format could be added. I have watched this show from its beginning and would hate to see it become so commercialized that it loses its focus.

March 30, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Anne

Bring back Lacie who went to DWS after winning SYTYCD. Anne

March 30, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Eric

I missed the truly original format (only season 1) where partners changed each week, so at least we'll get some of that drama back. The permanent couples weren't as interesting to me.

March 30, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  114. shirley

I don't watch it.

March 30, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Hillary Ann

I think they should stay as couples in the 'Top 20' then when they reach the 'Top 10' THEN they should pair up with the 'all stars'. In any case I'm glad that they are coming back for a new season!

March 30, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Jensen

Why ruin a good thing? The show was great the way it was.

March 30, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  117. PG

Where was Mia last season?

March 30, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Thanh

Hmm. Part of the draw was to see how fledgling dancers worked with each other and developed. Pairing them with an all-star will make dances technically great, but you replace the chemistry with professionalism.

I do see that these changes will make it so that there will be fewer "bad partnerships" which leaves a lot of potentially great dancers voted off early.

Not sure if it will work, but we'll see.

March 30, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  119. JHK3

All of these reality performance shows have hit their peaks. Yes, the talent is new every season, but the formula is tired. Coming up with new formats (like those mentioned above) is the only way the producers/exec producers believe they can inject something "different". Some of these things may work, others won't.

As far as SYTYCD goes – I did not like it when Mary became a permanent judge, in the first place. I like the fresh comments from rotating judges (along with Nigel). I did not like Adam being permanent judge last season, either.
    I also think SYTYCD should have stayed to once a year, instead of trying to run seasons back to back, like they did last spring and fall. But the Network wants their advertising dollars, and it does not appear they can produce new shows that acheive. Too bad.

CBZ (above) likely nailed it – it is the begining of the end.

March 30, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Sarah

I agree with Em: I hate the new stage. The dancers seems to get lost in the space, it is missing different dimensions, and the judges are too far away. They need to redo the stage completely.

March 30, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  121. I H8te Lost But I Used To Love It

I caught this show completely by accident a couple years ago and have been hooked ever since. I like the pros returning but I had come to love the couples and didn't like when they split them up in mid-season. But overall I think these are good changes. Can't wait for that Hot Tamale Train to come. Whooo HOOOO!!

March 30, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  122. me

I am not looking forward to this change. it'll be good to see past performers that we all love...but i still think each contestant should be paired with another contestant. i love this show, but it seems to be becoming more and more like DWTS (not a good thing). if you want to have them dancing with past performers, make it a week special not the whole show. if they think becoming more like DWTS is a good thing, think again...it seems more like selling out and pumping the ratings, then staying true to the opportnity the show presents young dancers and staying true to the fans who obsess over this show and can't stand DWTS.

March 30, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Kell

I HATE THIS!!! I love the original format. And I dont like dancing witht he stars which this is becoming :/

March 30, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  124. DncLvr

I don't like this format change. It will simply become DWTS. These young people have a wonderful opportunity on this show and cutting the numbers to half will not make it as interesting. Not a good change for me! And... please, Mary usually has good comments, but stop her from shreiking at the tamale train! Drives me nuts!!

March 30, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • DrJ

I HATE this new format and don't understand why they are making the change. Why mess with a good thing?

June 15, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  125. CBZ

I am excited to see Mary Murphy for choreography and the return of Mia – her stuff has always been stellar and mesmerizing.

I'm not too sure how the changes to the casting will pan out – seems like this might be the beginning of the end ... ? I've always enjoyed the original format, although the show's been around long enough that it might have been due for a change. I'm just sure yet that this is the "right" change.

March 30, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  126. Em

This sounds rather interesting....I'd have to see it happen before I could decide how it would work out, but it is usually pretty awesome when they bring back "alum" to the show. No way that they would use Travis though, I feel like he'd outshine everyone...not to mention he's wicked busy choreographing.

The only thing I truly miss from seasons 1-5 is the stage. The old stage with the smaller audience has SO many more dimensions and seemed much more intimate. I wish they'd bring that back. The new stage used in Season 6 feels like you can see the dancers from only front-on and it's just too big..too far away.

March 30, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Siavm

This sounds interesting. I will see what happens this summer.

March 30, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  128. NapaGal

Everytime I hear Mary Murphy do 'the train' yell, I want to rip off my ears and throw them at my TV.
    She's best when she's on mute.

March 30, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |