March 29th, 2010

What's your worst movie ever?

testing captions
testing captions

So J.D. Shapiro, the screenwriter of “Battlefield Earth,” has apologized.

That’s nice of him to do, but it doesn’t do anything for the thousands of people who ponied up - in good conscience - their share of the film’s $30 million worldwide gross,  hoping to see an entertaining film. Instead, they got what the Razzie Awards named the worst film of the decade.

But it could be worse. (Couldn’t it?) After all, movies are made for all kinds of reasons – Carrie Fisher once told CNN.com that she made “Appointment with Death” (1988) because she wanted to visit Israel.  Maybe it’s true that nobody intends to make a bad movie, but sometimes they do intend to make a tax write-off, or a showcase for a romantic partner.

And audiences go to movies for just as many reasons. Sometimes a bad movie is its own selling point, worth laughing at with your friends. Other times you just want to get into some healthful air conditioning for a couple hours.

Nevertheless, there are few things worse than that feeling that you’ve just sacrificed two hours of your life that you’ll never … get … back. (That’s assuming you didn’t stalk out of the theater and demand they return your money.) “Plan 9 from Outer Space” is often ranked high (low?) on this list; so are “Gigli,” “The Postman,” “Freddy Got Fingered,” “Howard the Duck” and “Troll 2” – which is now the subject of its OWN film, “Best Worst Movie.”

Personally, I’ll always hold a grudge against Gabe Kaplan and Robert Klein for a 1981 piece of garbage called “Nobody’s Perfekt,” which has its own circle of hell in my mind.

What is your worst film of all time? Why did you see it in the first place?

« Previous entry
  1. christina

Obviously I've seen way more movies than everyone here. The very worst are:

Haiku Tunnel
    Hope Floats

January 14, 2011 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Karina

Bruno and Open Water

November 25, 2010 at 5:09 am | Report abuse |
  3. brasil escorts

I definitely want to read more soon. By the way, pretty good design you have here, but how about changing it every few months?

October 20, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Peyton

Um John did you really just say 'The Hangover'?
    Really? When movies like Seventeen Again, I Love you, Beth Cooper, Battlefield Earth, and The Twilight Saga have been made, you're going to say that The Hangover is the worst.
    Obiously you have absolutely no taste. The Hangover was an amazing movie.

June 20, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  5. sorryall

gotta add "Lord of the Rings".....I want the whole WEEK back I lost watching that! ......."Lost In Translation" definitely lost me.........."Norbit".......totally ashamed for my own people

March 31, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Patti Burnett

The worst movie ever made is The Wickerman with Nicholas Cage. I was so stunned how bad it was that I could not leave my seat. It was the most boring movie I have ever seen. I would explain the plot, but I can't remember what it was. I left after 30 minutes.

March 30, 2010 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  7. THOMAS

Gigli is an obvious choice. Ishatar is not far behind Other dubious noimnees are Telephone with Whoopi Goldberg, Walk LIke a Man with Howie Mandell. The Hurt Locker is not the worst movie ever made, but it is clearly the most overated.

March 30, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  8. tomdog01

Boxing Helena. Ew.

March 30, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  9. lecter1963

Impossible to know where to start....
    the list of "good" movies is much smaller.

March 30, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Steph

One of the worst movies ever- and I love cheesy action movies- was "Shoot Em Up" with Clive Owen. Terrible, terrible movie!

March 30, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  11. jgirl

Two of the worst movies I ever saw was The Fourth Kind and I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell. The Fourth Kind tried too hard to be serious and made no sense. I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell was an atrocious piece of media trash that should have never seen the inside of a editing room. It literally made me want to wash my eyeballs with bleach.

March 30, 2010 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jay White

I would rather be poked in the eye with a dull stick than see What Dreams May Come with Robin Williams again but to top that is
    Exit to Eden with Rosie O Donnel, which I call "Someone please shoot me now" movie

March 30, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Thomas S

The Box, Push and Cloverfield. UGH! UGH and UGHHHH!!!

March 30, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Steve

Wow, a lot of people who have posted so far have either seen very few movies, or just listed movies that went over their heads.

In no particular order:

The Master of Disguise
    Ballistic: Eeks vs Sever
    From Justin to Kelly
    Catwoman
    Twilight

March 30, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  15. brenda

No Reservations.. soooo dumbbbbbbbbbbb.

March 30, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  16. chris

To me it was Bug with Ashley Judd. I cried after that saying , I want those 2 hours back-lol.

March 30, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Sue

Either Eyes Wide Shut or The Day After Tomorrow.

March 30, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  18. James

Borat (It stands alone)
    OK, maybe American Beauty

March 30, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  19. george

I was a bit shocked to see someone mention Glengarry Glen Ross which is one of my all time favorites.. I've probably seen it about 20 times.. my friends and I once decided to count the number of swear words and I'm thinking it was close to 300.. what's not to like? Pacino was hilarious.

March 30, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  20. L

I would have to say Norbit.

March 30, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  21. george

Sorry that would be Anaconda definetely John Voight's shining moment

March 30, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  22. george

funny stuff.. I had forgotten about some of these movies.. Congo was absolutely horrible.. sad thing is it came recommended from some former friends. I'll give my top spot to Ananconda 2. Congo 3. Batman and Robin, this one had about a 10 minute glitch at the theater with the film.. you could only see the very bottom of the screen.. I yelled out to leave it that way as it seemed more enjoyable, the 3 or 4 other people in the theater got a laugh out of that.

March 30, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Catherine

For anyone interested, I've scrolled down this list and so far the stand out winners (losers) seem to be Vanilla Sky, Twilight (interestingly! I thought it was a hit) Ishtar, District 9 (again, ?!), the Love Guru, Borat, and Eyes Wide Shut.

For those of you who keep saying you're never going to get those two hours of your life back - you're never going to get any two hours of your life back, so enjoy the moment!

March 30, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Tony

Everyone forgot SPEED RACER !!! What were they thinking

March 30, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Melanie

Memento, i have tried to watch this movie several times instead i just get a headache. The Happening, Marky Marky as a teacher so bad it was funny

March 30, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Hailey

Juno: Totally unrealistic dialogue and plot
    House Bunny: Yes, I actually chose to see this movie for my birthday...what a mistake
    Mystery Men: Still paying the price for picking this movie at Blockbuster 10 years ago...

March 30, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Burke

Mulholland Drive!!

It was nominated for an Oscar – has to be good, right? WRONG!

March 30, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Eva

It's a toss up between "The In-Crowd" and "The Black Dahlia". I almost walked out on both, but after paying for the ticket I decided to ride it out.

"The In-Crowd" was just horribly boring and cliche... "The Black Dahlia" was just... weird.

March 30, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Brett

Oh, and the Haunting of Molly Hartley.

March 30, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Brett

I Know Who Killed Me... UGH. I can't believe no one is saying that! That was clearly the worst movie ever made, way worse than Battlefield Earth.

March 30, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Deeter

Congo. Seriously. Good monkeys, evil monkeys, Tim Curry, and just when you think it can't get worse.... they escape in a hot air balloon.

March 30, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Cody

Had to be "The Crying Game". I remember reading the reviews, which glowed about this mysterious flick. As soon as my wife and I saw "the girl", we looked at each other and knew where this was going. I felt violated.

March 30, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Alfred

Okay, to anyone who said District 9, Burn After Reading, or The Hangover are the worst movies ever...YOU are the Morons who watch Battlefield Earth and call it a "classic" film.
    The worst film ever made is Repo Men. Not only did it rip off of Rep! The Genetic Opera, but the ending was so heinous, had it not been after Midnight, I would have demanded my money back.

March 30, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Barbara

Annie Hall, worst movie even though it won awards. We walked out 1/2 way thru!

March 30, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Pat

johnny nmemonic

March 30, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  36. SW

Staring at Goats........just awful!

March 30, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  37. eric

I can't believe this many people actually saw Glitter...I'll watch almost anything...not dumb enough to waste my time on that...

Pluto Nash has got to be one of the worst, Batman and Robin...man talking about distroying a franchise. Corny, insulting to fans, bad acting, stupid plot...uhg..makes me angry...

I do agree with you S Darko people...couldn't finish it...

March 30, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  38. jj

The Happening

March 30, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  39. nyc63

Polyester...without a doubt. Only movie I've ever walked out of. A scratch and sniff movie...they got to spot number 3 which was supposed to smell like a guy passing gas and I was outta there!

March 30, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Victor

Catwoman.

This movie basically made it impossible for this comic book character to ever get another movie.

Berry's acting (or lack thereoff) was atrocious. The script was like a fermented piece of excrement that just kept stinking more and more as the movie progressed. The ending was a blessed relief because you knew the torture was over and you could go back home and relax in the tub, trying to forget you actually spent money to view the crap you had just witnessed.

What's really sad is that Michelle Pfeiffer had done such a bang up job in the Batman movie that first showed us this character. It was because of her wonderful performance that a Catwoman movie was even greenlighted in the first place. And then Hollywood messed it all up by completely ignoring what had gone on in the Batman film and coming up with a whole brand new craporama story.

I'm so glad I didn't actually see this movie at a theater. But it still kills me that I dished out $3.99 to Blockbuster to watch this piece of filth.

March 30, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Tony

Ishtar: a two hour joke with no punchline that I had the agony of sitting through at the theater. Just think of a "Seinfeld" or Saturday Night Live skit that just fell flat (not even producing a chuckle) and have it repeat for 2 miserable hours. That was Ishtar. Nothing since has matched it.

March 30, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Clay

definitely The Talented Mr Ripley! The worst EVER!!!!

March 30, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  43. cassandra

The worst movie I ever saw was PLUTO NASH starring Eddie Murphy. It was not funny, terribly-written and had no plot at all. It just meandered around for an hour and when it ended, I was shocked because I had waited the whole time for a story to develop but the credits were rolling! I'm still angry all these years later that I wasted my time watching it!

March 30, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  44. whatthehellever

Of the newer ones, District 9 was horrible. Cloverfield wasn't so good either. Give me Jack Sparrow any day!

March 30, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Troy

Come on people, has anyone on here seen "The Stuff"? This movie was about some yogurt, that when you tried to eat it, it ate you instead. It makes most of the movies you have been listing look like Oscar winners.

Go ahead and rent it, I dare you. Oh and "Attack of the killer tomatoes" comes in second in my opinion.

March 30, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Steve

Mars Attacks was the worst: Humorless, mean-spirited trash.

March 30, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Sandy

Eyes Wide Shut....AWFULLLLL !!!!!!!

March 30, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Brad

Three words: Batman and Robin.

March 30, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Erin7351

The Love Guru! I lost a bet to my boyfriend and he made me see it. We both walked out.

March 30, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  50. t jones

The 1962 Taras Bulba with Tony Curtis and Yul Brynner . Curtis in his N. Y. accent utters the immortal line : " Yondah lies the castle of me faddah " Stunningly bad acting .

March 30, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Kristen

Tron redefined sci fi for its era. Please watch it again before the reboot comes out. Much of what we take for granted in computers was in Tron. Worst movie I saw in the theater? Walked out of "First Knight" (with Richard Gere and Sean Connery?) Can't remember-took therapy to rid myself of the nightmares of bad script and acting. Also, as previously mentioned, Episodes 1-3. Lucas owes everyone over the age of 30 their childhoods back. I waited in the rain for 3 hours for tickets to "Director's Cut" Star Wars then we walked out when Han stepped on Jabba's tail. STUPID!!!

March 30, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  52. GlennD

Avatar. At least the worst movie I've seen in a theater in my adult life.

March 30, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  53. NicoleMe

Absolutely, without a doubt, "Killing Me Softly", such a waste of talent, with three leads that I have thoroughly enjoyed in everything but this. You actually had the feeling that they finished the movie, realized how terrible it was, and edited in more shots of Heather Graham's boobs. Turkey.

March 30, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  54. JodiN

BORAT. I will never watch another Sacha Baren Cohen movie ever again. Hated it, didn't watch 15 minutes of it, did I miss something?

March 30, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Pat

"OMG! the Worst movie ever I must say; is ZOOLANDER with Ben Stiller. such an utter poor, tasteless..waste of film. How could they make such a loser? was the worst movie I'd ever seen. Not funny...Not entertaining. EVER!!"

...WHAT!!!! ARE YOU SERIOUS??? ZOOLANDER???

Zoolander is totally hilarious. Totally and completely hilarious. One of the funniest movies ever made.

March 30, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Ned

Anyone who would list District 9 as the worst movie ever has zero credibility. I can understand if you just don't like sci fi and therefore did not like this movie. The problem is that in a genre where the majority of the films are downright cheezy, District 9 was a breath of fresh air. I can't even think of another sci fi movie in the past ten years that was even close to being as original and creative as District 9. The closest would probably be the first Matrix which came out in '99; and I agree with the previous poster that the two Matrix sequels were in fact awful. My own personal entry into this list of worsts: a little something called "Shanghai Surprise" with Madonna and Sean Penn.

March 30, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Erin

S Darko, the sequel to Donnie Darko, an amazing amazing movie!To have that even have the name assosiated with it!!! and are you serious talking crap on the step brothers? and twilight??
    in my world my vampires do sparkle

March 30, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Tamlia

I can't believe some of these movies people are listing as WORST. 2 movies I either walked out of or stopped watching and returned were Weekend at Bernie's and Dr. T and the Women. Oh, and another that was so bad, it was actually half-way entertaining was Devil's Rejects. I watched it with my husband – his night to choose.

March 30, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Burkley

Fun reading these comments, but to see people complain that Love Guru or Mall Cop et cetera were awful films is hilarious. What did you expect?

I know that a lot of people give up on a movie if they start feel confused, confusion is actually a good set up for tension and release, but when you reach the end and it never resolves, that's when it's a waste.

Best – Donnie Darko or Bottle Rocket both pleasent surprises

Worst – S. Darko or anything else that's a huge let down (had reason to expect more)

March 30, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Pat

Mulholland Drive....anyone that says they understood this movie is lying.

March 30, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  61. tm

Joe Vs the VOlcano with tom hanks & meg
    terrible- i was younger and spent my hard earned money – just to walk out of the theater. just an awful movie.

March 30, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Missi Zook

GI Joe

March 30, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Rob

legends of the fall.

depressing movie. by the end, I was hoping the lead character would just take his own life and spare us the pain.

March 30, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  64. John

3) The Hangover, 2) Napoleon Dynamite, 1) anything with Sasha Baron Cohen...though, I'd enjoy one in which he was thrown screaming into a den of angry komodo dragons...

March 30, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Mary Salcedo

Boxing Helena – worst movie ever! This is the one Kim Basinger pulled out of making!

March 30, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  66. LouM_d'Burgh

Pennies from Heaven! by far the worst movie ever made!

March 30, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  67. mn teacher

Paranormal Activity.

Two hours of my life I will NEVER get back.

March 30, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  68. jades mom

I am going to get a lot of boos for this one, The last worse movie I saw and truly wanted my 2 hours and 45 minutes of life back was Avatar.

March 30, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  69. kyliekyotie

Long time ago – I don't go to the movies anymore, but one I sat through (with about 4-5 friends) and actually booed at the end for was "Revolution" with Al Pacino. I also saw "The Color Purple" (probably the same group of friends) and we were all like "huh"? – it was so smarmy.

March 30, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Mike

Fortunately I have not seen alot of the movies that are repeatedly mentioned. I would have to say Blair Witch Project is the worst I have seen in a theater and An Inconvenient Truth is the worst I've seen anywhere.

March 30, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  71. okeda

Out Cold. Just a horrible movie

March 30, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Carl

"Date Movie". 'nuff said.

March 30, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Rachel

My sister and brother-in-law forbade me from picking any other movies when I dragged them to "My Left Foot" but I think that the worst movie I have ever paid for was "Straight to Hell."

March 30, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Fred

Anything with Sylvester Stallone.

March 30, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Erica

I am just going to have to agree with some of you...and really disagree with others. Some of the movies on the list are the BEST, not worst. I would have to say anything that comes with the tag "with 2 of the four writers from Scary Movie" were total crap.

March 30, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Mike B

This is an amazing thread. It demonstrates why some of love the IFC Channel and some love "Mall Cop". Perhaps the "worst" criteria shouldn't be whether we liked it or not, but how far the movie fell from it's target and expectations of the audience.

Let's face it, "Dude, where's my car?" was never intended to be a classic. On the other hand, I rushed out to see "The Happening" based on the M Night Shamalyn (sp) previous body of work. I liked "Dude" in that it occupied 90 minutes of my life while I did my taxes. "The Happening" was an incredible mess. As result of that movie, I lost movie-picking privileges for a month!

March 30, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  77. Shay

2012 sucked. It was not even worth being over 2 hours

March 30, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  78. NapaGal

I made the mistake of investing $2.00 at Blockbuster and rented "Mr.Wrong" with Ellen Degeneres and Bill Pullman.
    It was the first movie I ever stopped 27 minutes in, and returned.
    I think Ellen should stick with American Idol... or keep doing the voices for Disney movies.

March 30, 2010 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  79. Robyn

The worst movie has to be a toss up between The Cell with Jennifer Lopez and Vanilla Sky with Tom Cruise. I don't know how I ever got through either of them. I still don't get them either.

March 30, 2010 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  80. John

District 9 – everyone loved it and i went running out of the theater. What made it worse was to watch the Oscars and Golden Globes to see it nominated for several catagories.

March 30, 2010 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  81. Ruthann Adamsky

Oh, come on, while I agree with many of the selections, especially "Burn After Reading", I always cite "Lost in Space" as the reason buying a big screen TV won't help – because the movie will still be awful.

March 30, 2010 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  82. Chan

Are you kidding me...Disorderlies and School Daze were great movies...

Now, The Cell with Jennifer Lopez was garbage, Goldmember, Daddy Day Camp...yuck.

March 30, 2010 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  83. DAR

Shallow Hal. Absolute dreck.

March 30, 2010 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  84. Claire

The Covenant – so bad it's so funny to watch. ARE WE ASCENDING?!

Twilight and New Moon – godawful dialogue and abominable acting.

Transformers and Transformers 2 – I only saw the 2nd one but Shia LaBeouf is irritating and Megan Fox... I don't even have the words to describe how bad an actress she is. What's up with talking like a breathy 5-year-old?

Worst actor ever? Nicholas Cage, hands down. Everything he's ever been in, it's just Nick Cage being Nick Cage, there's no acting whatsoever. A disastrous example? Captain Corelli's Mandolin. Fabulous book – excruciatingly bad movie. Nicholas Cage as an Italian soldier? His "acting" was a joke and his Italian accent was so terrible it was just painful, not even laughable.

Some of my favorite movies are listed in the above comments as people's choice for worst. 28 Days Later? District 9? Pulp Fiction? I get if these aren't what you were expecting when you saw them, or aren't precisely what you enjoy watching, but to say they're the worst ever made? I think it's sad that you can't at least appreciate what these movies are, even if you didn't like them.

Oh yeah, and how about Plan 9 From Outer Space for a real disaster of a film. Ed Wood... just ridiculous.

March 30, 2010 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  85. PGriffin

i did not care for the godfather. it insists upon itself

March 30, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  86. Anne

300, and Fantastic Four (2005).

March 30, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  87. Rachel

Open Water & Punch Drunk Love! Terrible movies!

March 30, 2010 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  88. Chris

This is easy. Transformers 2 qas the single worst movie I have ever seen in my entire life.

March 30, 2010 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  89. Jeff

Two sequels that should have never been made.... Grease 2 (despite a very young Michelle Pfeiffer) and Caddyshack 2..... both absolutely horrible

March 30, 2010 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  90. Maria

My all time worst movie is 8 Heads in a Duffle Bag. My husband dragged me to see it because Joe Pesci was in it, and that is why I now very seldom go to the movies with him – I just wait for it to come on HBO or DVD.

March 30, 2010 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  91. Paul

I have a small list of bad movies that have left lasting impressions of badness on me for all eternity.

Elephant
    Last Days

– Both of these Gus Van Sant turds left me never wanting to see another of his films. thank god he did Good Will Hunting before these.

Ticker

– an all star cast in a horrible waste of time. stick to TV Paul Margolis!

March 30, 2010 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  92. Kate

"Falling in Love," with Meryl Streep and Robert DeNiro. It didn't help that I was on a bad blind date, but thinking about it still makes me shudder.

March 30, 2010 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  93. Tony

It has got to be King Solomans Mines with Richard Chamberlain and Sharon Stone. To this day, twenty something years later I still can't believe the piece of crap it was.

March 30, 2010 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  94. Melissa

Hated, hated New Moon. Worst movie ever. I almost fell asleep. The Twilight saga for me dies forever

March 30, 2010 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  95. Richard

I thought the first Matrix was so enjoyable and I eagerly looked forward to the sequels but what a complete letdown! Matrix 2 and 3 are right up there with the Jaws sequels for a how to recipe for ruining a franchise.
    Also one poster mentioned Jeepers Creepers. Come on ! Thats a great monster movie with an even better sequel! It sure beats the hell out of what passes for horror these days.

March 30, 2010 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  96. Amy

HATED Dan in Real Life with Steve Carrell. Biggest disappointment ever. We thought it would be funny and the kids would enjoy it–turned out to be a big old tampon commercial. I've never heard such sappy dialogue, seen such contrived, cutesy situations, or such embarrassing overacting. The kids were straight out of a Gap ad, the setting was lifted from a J. Crew catalog (which of course, is how all Americans live and can relate to), and the family was just plain annoying. Hard to say what the worst scene was–the cloying Family Talent show where aforementioned children hammed it up in the most saccharine ways imaginable, or Juliet Binoche's constant mugging. Steve Carrell is a favorite of mine, but this vehicle was so dreadful, I still cringe when I see him.

March 30, 2010 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  97. Ida

Gone Fishing with Danny Glover and Joe Pesci had the worst dialogue and acting I've ever seen. My husband wanted to see it, but it's the only movie that has ever made me want to leave the theater.

March 30, 2010 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  98. Joshua

How can you even say Twilight Mark. Twilight was a good movie but come on the worst movie EVER!!!!!!

March 30, 2010 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  99. Beenz

I know this was a critical darling, but I HATED 'Magnolia'. 3 hours of my life gone- I could have spent them cleaning, reading, napping, anything. There was not one likeable character in that movie..I just wanted the earth to open up and swallow them all.. and don't even get me started on the frogs. I'm still apologizing to my friend for dragging her with me to see it.

March 30, 2010 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
  100. DMB

American Gigolo. Seriously – Richard Gere was hot but the movie sucked!

March 30, 2010 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  101. Dick

Hands Down Worst Movie I've ever sat through "The English Patient".

I've probably seen nearly as many movies as you have akid001 so don't come out with this get out more stuff.

"Scent of Green Paypa" comes in close 2nd.

March 30, 2010 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  102. VIRGINIA

WORST MOVIE EVER- DISTRICT 9

March 30, 2010 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  103. deepwater

ATONEMENT!!!!! If that movie was any more boring I would have had to go on suicide watch to get through it....

March 30, 2010 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
  104. James LaCroix

There is NO WAY I can be topped on this subject. Most of you out there probably have not seen this movie, most likely have never heard of it, but Vincent Gallo's (Buffallo 66) "BROWN BUNNY" is by far the worst movie ever made.

I guarantee that if any of you see this film, you will change your answer.

March 30, 2010 at 7:25 am | Report abuse |
  105. evelyn

I agree with Louise. District 9 was horrendous and I wish we had walked out sooner than we did.

March 30, 2010 at 7:15 am | Report abuse |
  106. Mark

Why doesn't anyone mention TWILIGHT??? Christ that was like Beverly Hill 90210 with fangs. Could have gotten anymore politically correct? All colors of the rainbow were of course represented. I'm waiting for werewolves to contact NN and say that they find it offensive.

March 30, 2010 at 7:10 am | Report abuse |
  107. Pat

I vote for 'The Alien Factor'. The claim can be made for the worst acting of all time.

My young boy's and I were laughing so hard, we HAD to watch it.

March 30, 2010 at 5:38 am | Report abuse |
  108. diasphora

Dude, Where's My Car? It was the only film that ever truly bored me to sleep in the theater.

March 30, 2010 at 5:33 am | Report abuse |
  109. kcjazzy

I Love Trouble with Julia Roberts and Nick Nolte. I was stuck on a plane going overseas and had forgotten by book. Painful. I ended up play cards with the 8 year sitting next to me.

March 30, 2010 at 5:27 am | Report abuse |
  110. mimimisyell

Twilight, wasted 2 hours of my life..

March 30, 2010 at 4:45 am | Report abuse |
  111. Tonya

One of the absolute all time worst movies was "Natural Born Killers" starring Woody Harrelson. After he left Cheers his movies pretty much were bombs. Another '"BIG FAT BOMB" was District Nine. What were they thinking when it was nominated for best picture of the year? GO FIGURE

March 30, 2010 at 2:29 am | Report abuse |
  112. paul

speed racer. my god, i loved the show, but this movie was unbelievably crappy.

March 30, 2010 at 2:03 am | Report abuse |
  113. Gentilio

Beverly Hills Chihuahua! Never saw it but come on, seriuosly?

March 30, 2010 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
  114. Tom Smith

The Amazing Mister Ripley – I lost several hours of my life watching this movie only because I foolishly thought that there had to be some great development or exciting plot twist, not to mention that I refused to surrender after committing more and more time to watching it. Guess I got drawn in and was too stubborn to cut my losses and bail out of it.
    I imagine there are worse movies, but this one always comes forward when I am asked to name the worst movie I have ever watched.
    Just my opinion, as I recall it was critically acclaimed, undoubtedly by persons who enjoy or expect something from their entertainment investment that is far different than my expectations.

March 30, 2010 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
  115. PenneyFlo

paul blart's mall cop or whatever it was, you know the one. everyone that saw that should be given their money back

March 30, 2010 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |
  116. Patrick

'Shining Through' was just appalling. Melanie Griffith running though the WW2 German Streets in her nightie... unable to speak German, spying. Made Spaceballs look like Hamlet!

March 30, 2010 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
  117. carl trantham

These people have obviously not seen Eraserhead. Nothing comes even close to sucking that badly. I'm almost ashamed to even use an adverb describing it. How did it ever get funded?

March 30, 2010 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
  118. Jean

"Vertical Limit" with Chris O'Donnell...came out in 2000....a movie about K2. Saw it in a Seattle Theatre & it was so bad that the whole audience was laughing during the serious parts of the movie, we all made fun of the movie together, so that was fun I guess.

March 30, 2010 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  119. byron Weeks

The dumbest movie ever made was Mission To Mars. This movie was so bad that when some of the characters died in what were supposed to be serious moments, the audience cheered and laughed.

March 30, 2010 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  120. Balark

"Mars Attacks." I love Tim Burton, but boy did he get that one wrong! Stupid, but not funny. Weird but not fun. Awful movie.

March 30, 2010 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  121. MissaM

I can't believe some one actually named Spaceballs as their worst film!! It is a Mel Brooks Classic! Total props to OldenOne for bringing up MST3000 AND Manos:The Hands of Fate into the discussion! You want to see bad movies, watch Mystery Science Theater 3000!

Ok, now to the two worst movies I can think of have to be:

Batman Forever and Batman and Robin....

The Day-Glo paint on everything and the absolutely ridicilous wings on the Bat-Mobile....oh don't forget Alicia Silverstone murdering Bat Girl.....tragic....

March 29, 2010 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Dallacuse

sequel. Thinking of it made me lose my ability to spell. :-)

March 29, 2010 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Dallacuse

Blair Witch Project 2 - Worst Movie, worst sequal EVER !!

March 29, 2010 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Minniemouse

Dogma, Crash, and Glengarry Glen Ross are 3 of the BEST movies ever made! What kind of movies do you LIKE if these are the worst?! By far the worst movie I paid to see, expecting to at least enjoy some of it even if it weren't the best movie, was Georgia Rule with Jane Fonda, Felicity Huffman and Lindsay Lohan. What utter garbage!

March 29, 2010 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  125. anjisakya

Unfortunately, I went to the theater to see Vanilla Sky and The Rules of Attraction, two of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life.

March 29, 2010 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  126. Andrew

Skeleton Man! It was on SyFy (then known as Sci-Fi, really was the change needed?) And I couldn't help but watch it because it was so awful. Poor Casper Van Diem. A plot that doesn't make sense, bad shots and worse editing, then toss in a Creature that looks like it was bought at your local Party store on the Clearance rack and you have one of the best worst movies ever.

March 29, 2010 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Kelly

Broken Flowers. I have never watched another movie with Bill Murray after suffering through that torture. Usually I sell crappy movies online or at a yard sale, but this one went straight into the trash. No one deserves to be subjected to that garbage. No one

March 29, 2010 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  128. sorryall

I LOVE X-MEN but WOLVERINE stunk like 5 day old boiled eggs soaked in old milk......

March 29, 2010 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
  129. getaway

Deathrow gameshow was by far the worst movie on earth

March 29, 2010 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  130. Dave

Blair Witch Project was painful to endure. Two hours of kids rubbing sticks together and feigning fright. I'll never have those two hours back, and it is my own fault for not leaving at the point I knew it was terrible, which was within ten minutes.

March 29, 2010 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Therese

I am glad to say I avoided most of those mentioned above. I have to agree that Vanilla Sky, and Wanted were bad, and anything with Will Ferrel or Mike Meyers (I know this will get a lot of grief from fans, but we walked out on both Austin Powers and American Pie, but loved Something About Mary)

My sister rented District 9 for Christmas and we were all in agony until it ended (we couldn't walk out like the theater) That was the worst so far.

March 29, 2010 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  132. Kevin

Every minute watching the Prairie Home Companion was like having knitting needles shoved into my eyes. Absolutely horrible.

March 29, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  133. JustMe

American Steel Cyborg Warrior...

March 29, 2010 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  134. Joe M

I recently saw, "The Love Guru". It was on DVD so I couldn't ask for my money back but I did consider writing Mike Meyers and complaining about the theft of time from my life. Nothing, not one single thing, was worth the pain I went through watching it. Hideous film.

I'm also on the list of people who thought that, "Inglourious Basterds", was utter tripe. He tried too hard and ended up with a series of set pieces that didn't play well at all together.. It was the box office 'shart' of the year. Although, yes, Christopher Waltz did deserve the Oscar. More for his acting and less for his role.

March 29, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  135. PeterCee

Anything with Tyler Perry and his cast of embarrassing amateurs, and anything with Uma Thurman who has given new meaning to the term 'overacting'.

March 29, 2010 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  136. Eric

Any film by Michael Bay I find to be painful to watch. 'The Island' was okay, but the rest of his stuff.... That guy has an aesthetic perspective that could make oatmeal seem dynamic (except we know oatmeal is somewhat bland). If he played it for laffs, he'd be a cultural boon.
    Instead.. he's dynamic oatmeal.
    Armageddon.... ye gods... If the Nazis won WW2, Leni Reifenstahl
    would have lauded Michael Bay. Probably the only thing she and Goebbels would have been eye-to-eye on.
    Michael Bay is probably so dim he may get an ego fillip from that statement: 'yeah... my work could have created a positive common ground between the propaganda leaders of a sovereign nation'

March 29, 2010 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  137. mushymushroom

Get Smart- I was expecting it to be funny, because the trailer seems hilarious. I tagged along my brother and my father to see this film but I was really embarassed! Steve Carrell and Anne Hathaway; this film is bad. As in not funny bad.

Soul Survivors – I didn't knwo who the cast were, (I think David Arquette was there) and then I don't get the story. It was definitely a total waste of time.

2012 – Up to this day I have not finished this film. I can't help falling asleep within its first hour. Yes, that's how painful it is...at least for me. LoL!

March 29, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  138. OldenOne

..oh, yeah. Juno.

March 29, 2010 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Jenn

Waterworld

March 29, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  140. Clockwork

Stranger Than Fiction was a very good movie. Sorry if Will Ferrel wasn't doing fart jokes in it for you.

March 29, 2010 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  141. OldenOne

Well, it's purely subjective, isn't it? I can't stand Ben Stiller, but some of my friends love him. I hated "The Family Stone", but my wife loves it. The question wasn't "how do you defend movies you like, but someone else hates?", it was what do YOU feel is the worst movie.

And there are, I would guess, millions. Hollywood alone pumps out a lot more each year than you see in the trailers. Some are so bad, they're fun (not good), and some are so mediocre, they're Bad.

Bottom line: Manos: Hands of Fate. HOWEVER, I can't help but have some affection for it because of MST3K. See? It's all subjective. ;)

March 29, 2010 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  142. Eva

I would say just about any movie with Will Ferrell should qualify> Although my daughter and her teenage friends would argue because they love "Anchorman", but even my daughter agrees that "Stranger Than Fiction" tops the worst movie list. Before I saw "Stranger Than Fiction", I would have said that the old 1970's period costume disaster "Barry Lyndon" with Ryan O'Neal was the absolute worst movie of all times. Now, I'd say it's a tie.

March 29, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  143. TFM

Eyes Wide Shut. I cringe even thinking about it now.

March 29, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  144. Sonny

"All about Steve" with Sandra Bullock. This movie was godawful barf city.

"Bewitched" with Will Ferrell and Nicole Kidman. What could be wrong with a movie with an A List actress in the lead female role?
    Well everything. Elizabeth Montgomery, where ever you are, don't ever forgive them for such a rotten, nonsensical excuse for a movie.

March 29, 2010 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  145. Fred L. Fraud

Galaxy Of Terror

March 29, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  146. Victoria

Snow Dogs made me want to punch someone.

March 29, 2010 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  147. Milk, Milk, Lemonade

Apparently I'm the only one who saw 'Robocop 3' or 'Hitman'.

March 29, 2010 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  148. Kerri

THE BOX. Ugghhh. Just out to DVD with Cameron Diaz and Frank Langella... Basically an interesting premise that goes nowhere. Unfolds into a boring, non-sensical, disjointed, pointless peice of crap. And I'm being kind. Please people- Don't waste a minute of your time on this flick!!

March 29, 2010 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  149. Mike X

The worst movie I've ever seen would have to be the American remake of "Pulse".

March 29, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  150. James

Gentlemen Broncos

March 29, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  151. Horse Hooves

"When Wolves Cry" An anti nuclear bathos. Incredibly bad acting, interminable scenes leading no where and signifying nothing, dialogue on the equally abysmal side of drivel, and an ending that is so predictable, transparent, and emotionally contrived that you want to throw the film out. Alas, we had just rented it (my buddy was actually looking for "Hatchet") so we had to return it.

March 29, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  152. arielle

also, 28 days later? do you hate awesome films with perfect soundtracks?

pulp fiction is hilarious, sorry you couldn't understand it because it wasn't arrange chronologically.

Girl with a pearl earring is about the life of vermeer and his rumored love for his maid...what's really to "understand"..it was a period drama and a well acted one at that.

March 29, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  153. arielle

you are guys are obviously not film connoisseurs..district 9 was epic and moving. i bet your favorite film is something like "pretty woman," right?

my least favorites are:

AVATAR. sooo bad. james cameron has sunk to a new low.
    several different troma films (though many are also good-bad)
    a cinderella story (starring hilary duff, i should have known!)
    napoleon dynamite made me want to break my tv.
    bruno was also extremely awful.

March 29, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  154. Matt

"Glen or Glenda" is so much worse than every movie mentioned thus-far.

March 29, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  155. Tricia

Long time ago... Man with one Red Shoe with Tom Hanks...
    made me not watch his movies for a very long time, which is a shame because I have rented and watched many that he did since and he is great in most all the rest! go figure.

Oh and I agree with Todd ~ maybe even worse, Cabin Boy with Chris Elliot!!!!!

March 29, 2010 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  156. Akld 001

As an addendum, I would like to say that the English Patient would be in my top 10 BEST movies of all time and I think many others would place it there likewise. A Passage to India was also a stunning film. TC – you need to get out more. You can say that the Taj Mahal is a piece of crap, but that says more about you than the edifice itself and most people would beg to differ.

March 29, 2010 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  157. Shannon

28 Days Later. I want those hours of my life back!

March 29, 2010 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  158. Larry Risko

:OMG! the Worst movie ever I must say; is ZOOLANDER with Ben Stiller. such an utter poor, tasteless..waste of film. How could they make such a loser? was the worst movie I'd ever seen. Not funny...Not entertaining. EVER!!

March 29, 2010 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  159. jonny

My friend and I always refer to things as on the "Fresh Horses" scale. I don't think Molly Ringwald or Andrew McCarthy ever really recovered from that dog.

March 29, 2010 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  160. Josh

Borat. Total waste of time.

March 29, 2010 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  161. Akld 001

I think many people here are confusing a movie they particularly did not like with true unadulterated trash. The latter must have very poor acting, weak script, low production values, and no redeeming features. Surely a movie like Slumdog Millionaire, does NOT fulfill these criteria, and ditto for some of the others.

Surely the bottom of the barrel has yet to be reached!

March 29, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  162. tryclyde

Ok, please disable the comments, someone actually had the audacity to include Pulp Fiction here.

March 29, 2010 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  163. S

The remake of The Island of Dr. Moreau starring Val Kilmer and Marlon Brando. Awful movie. My town only showed one movie at a time, so it was that or nothing. Nothing would have been about a zillion times better than that movie!! The screenplay, director, actors (Brando and Kilmer both!) and the movie itself were all nominated for Razzies. It should have won them all, but only took home one (for Brando).

March 29, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  164. Claxton

The only movie I've ever actually walked out on was "School Daze". Spike Lee redeemed himself with "Bamboozled" and "He Got Game", which I thought were fine pieces of filmmaking. But "School Daze" was completely useless.

The only movie I've quit watching (and never started again) was "Pulp Fiction". Even more useless than "School Daze", and a convoluted mess that so wanted to be hip and was not, to me. I know a lot of people love that movie, but bear in mind, I've never seen "Battlefield Earth".

March 29, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  165. Wolvie145

I now believe that it is possible for the human brain to completely block out horrible images from traumtic events. Otherwise someone would have thrown out "Norbit" by now. Only reason I remeber it at all is because it was the second date with the woman who would later become my wife and I don't ever plan on letting her live it down.

For those who were insulted by Dogma... quit taking things so seriously! It's just one man's opinion of how the universe could work portrayed in a funny way. Of course... if you didn't think it was funny... you probably just didn't get it.

March 29, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  166. Karen

Star Wars....hands down.... the longest 2 hours of my life

March 29, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  167. TC

Close TIE FOR FIRST PLACE: "The English Patient" (loved Ralph Fiennes until that one) and "Passage to India". I know, I know, I just don't understand them and I'm supposed to read the book (which I did not do). News Flash: I go to the movies to be entertained. Period. While both movies had amazing cinematography, it was the ONLY redeeming quality in either movie. My choice for THIRD PLACE is "The Blair Witch Project" (so he lost the blessed map: Get Over It, Already!!!). That movie was bearable only because of all the people in the theater making sarcastically funny comments about the events on the screen. Amazingly, not one person complained about the comments – we were all laughing too hard at them.

March 29, 2010 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  168. machlmc

In the same month I rented Gigli, Legally Blonde 2, and Charlie's Angels 2. Didn't get past 15 minutes of any of them.

March 29, 2010 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  169. radiowidow

We thought that you couldn't go wrong with a movie starring Beatty and Hoffman. We were wrong. "Ishtar" was the only time we have walked out of the theater because we thought a movie was so bad.

March 29, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  170. Nancy

Purple Hearts, 1984, with Ken Wahl and Cheryl Ladd. The benchmark by which my husband and I judge all bad movies to this day. As in "It's bad, but it's no Purple Hearts." Contains every Vietnam War cliche and myth in the book. And one character is the Forrest Gump of the war–he manages to be at the scene of every significant event of the Vietnam war.

March 29, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  171. Donal Welch

Zack and Miri Make a Prono...horrible...not one wit of talent in this disaster!!! I can handle potty humor with the best of them, but this was unbelievably vulgar and offensive. To this day, I don't know how Seth Rogan has remained viable in Hollywood. What a pathetic, fat, no-talent slob. (OK...I really had no intention of going on this tirade.)

March 29, 2010 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  172. jojo

Bewitched! Loved the TV series, but that movie was the worst thing I ever wasted time on. I just kept thinking it had to get better, but it never did.

March 29, 2010 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  173. Bandit 346

Surely "Mandingo" with Susan George, Perry King, and Ken Norton was the worst movie ever. Ever. For ever and eternity.

March 29, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  174. Devin

and Knowing

March 29, 2010 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  175. Randy

Buffalo Bill and The Indians...my whole family walked out on it. I'm sure most people have never heard of it, because it was that BAD. We actually demanded to get to see another movie without paying and the theater manager agreed. He said he could not stand it either. If you have never seen it don't waist your time.

March 29, 2010 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  176. Devin

District 9

March 29, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  177. CK

Austin Powers Goldmember was absolutely terrible. Although, I have to imagine The Love Guru was even worse.

March 29, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  178. lawrence

the infamous...

"DISORDERLIES" (the fat boys)!!!! PLEASE WATCH IT...lmao

March 29, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  179. Micki

Avatar-really people it was Pocahontas–wow big thrill with the effects, this was crap and everyone who thought it was great needs to get their heads checked...

March 29, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  180. Barb

The worst movie I've ever seen is 'Monkey Bones". I only saw it because Brendan. Fraser was in it. Big mistake, hugh!

March 29, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  181. Miami10

"The Wicker Man", the one with Nicolas Cage and "Miami Vice" with Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx. Both the worst of the worst.

March 29, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  182. BB

SLUM DOG MILLIONAIRE-WHAT PIECE OF CRAP!!

March 29, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  183. beth

I would have to say Nothing But Trouble

March 29, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  184. beth

It would have to be Nothing but Trouble...The only thing that saved the night was a great date partner.

March 29, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  185. Sean

The only movie I've seen in the theater where someone yelled out during a scene "ARE YOU SERIOUS? COME ON!" and everyone bursted out laughing and no one got mad was Wing Commander. Lots of people left during it. On the way out lots of comments about it sucking and a few people even went to the ticket box complaining.

I don't remember it that much as I was still a teen and that was like what 15 years ago or something. I just remember how upset everyone around us was.

March 29, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  186. Pamela

I can beat you all.
    Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey.
    The first movie was a cult classic, but this god awful piece of garbage was universally hated by Bill & Ted haters AND fans alike. I was only 14 when it came out, and my best friend and i stood in a two hour line to see it. After existing the theatre, I was actually angry I had wasted years waiting for this stupid sequel to be released. Every second is embarrassing. embarrassing for the actors, and embarrassing to watch.

March 29, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  187. Julie

"The Road to Wellville". A movie so epically bad that it actually caused my boyfriend and I to have an argument in the theater due to the vile karma produced by what was going on up on the screen.

March 29, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  188. Kathleen

1987s dog "Ishtar" with Dustin Hoffman and Warren Beatty was painful. And it lost $40 million at the box office.

March 29, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  189. Jane Smith

I know it made a lot of money, but Twilight was the worst move I have ever seen. Bad acting, bad story, bad move.

March 29, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  190. Sassy

Knowing-starring Nicholas Cage. I actually left the theatre in the middle of this movie, I'd never done that before.

March 29, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  191. wynnfey

March 29, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  192. Vance

1996 The Stupids was a dumb movie. First movie I've seen where people left the theater.

March 29, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  193. Carrie

The Fountain.... enough said.

March 29, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  194. Kyle

My vote is for Neverending Story Part III or Dude Where's my Car?

March 29, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  195. daddydon

Twighlight-slow slow slow

March 29, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  196. ali

Valkyrie...I don't understand why none of them had german accents.

March 29, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  197. Joanne

Erin B...I so agree with you...The Box looked great in the previews...but OMG...what a bad...bad...movie...I kept waiting and waiting...and boy was I disappointed...I should have got a refund...

March 29, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  198. Joanne

Will someone explain the movie Girl with a Pearl Earring with Scarlett Johansson...stupid, stupid movie..and my number one worst movie The Spirit with Samuel L. Jackson...I had to leave within 1/2 an hour of the start...first and only movie I ever walked out on. my boyfriend wanted to stay...I was not having it...he left with me somewhat crestfallen...

March 29, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  199. sorryall

LADYKILLERS

March 29, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  200. Justin D

Troll 2 .... Head a shoulders above (or below?) the rest on this "list".

March 29, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  201. Sneak

Crash (2005) is the worst movie ever made... by far.

March 29, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  202. Eni B

Number one worst movie of all times must be "The Box" ... It was sad, stupid, and everyone in the room except for me fell asleep. While I waited for something good to happen at the end... I was deeply disappointed. What stinks is that is looked like a good movie in the previews. They totally got me!

March 29, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  203. sorryall

STEP BROTHERS – by far the worst!!!!!

March 29, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  204. Chris

Open Water – no doubt in my mind the worst movie ever made.

March 29, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  205. John

What makes a bad movie the worst movie? It's not that it's boring, or long, or isn't cognizant on any level, it's when you have all of those plus bad acting, bad writing, bad camera work, bad editing, bad sound everything that could be associated with movie is just awful.
    Battlefield Earth incorporates every one of those items. Of course, this is always going to be relative. No one will ever agree on worst anything, but for my money things like battlefield earth, you got served, any larry the cable guy movie, every uwe boll film (Really? No one mentioned him?!) are the worst of the worst...

March 29, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  206. PJ

"You don't mess with the Zohan" is the worst movie I have seen in the last year. I was glad I didn't waste money on it at the theatre. It came on one of our movie channels within the last 6 months. Adam Sandler owes me 2 hours of my life back. What an incredibly stupid movie.

March 29, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  207. Tookie

Spaceballs. Walked out in the middle of it. Only time I've ever done that.

March 29, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  208. jorge

man on fire with Denzel.

March 29, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  209. rodzoom

End of the World (1977). Saw this 1st run movie and just wanted to blow my brains out!

Charles Band product this and "other movies" (if only there was a Tea Party for BAD MOVIES).

But I did kinda forgave him when he produce the 1st "Trancer" movie.

March 29, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  210. Jenna

Worst and only movie I ever walked out of was "Rachael Getting Married" and I asked for my money back. The woman gladly gave it back saying "Yeah, we've been getting that a lot with this movie."

March 29, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  211. Selma

Greenberg. Just went to see it this weekend. I can imagine the movie pitch "A really ugly, boring man with no redeeming qualities meets a nice, unattractive girl with no motivation or self esteem and....nothing happens." We left 30 minutes in. I couldn't take it.

March 29, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  212. Chris

Gotta disagree with whoever said the Burbs....Love that movie!

March 29, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  213. kjsem78

I really don't understand people. The remakes of Ocean's 11 then Ocean's 13 (not Ocean's 12) are good, solid movies. Also, the Royal Tenenbaums is an awesome movie. With all the garbage out there, how can you say these movies are the worst?

March 29, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  214. idnarb

eye of the beholder & talented mr ripley...ugh...

March 29, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  215. Victor

I am guessing no one saw "Beloved" it was made by Oprah that move was so bad! Even to this day when I run into my Ex-girl friend she laughs and still says she is sorry for ever dragging me to see that movie. We walked out of the movie, when it was not even half way finished.

March 29, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  216. Xanatos

"Soulplane". Hands down THE absolute worst movie of all time, and all time to come.

March 29, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  217. kjsem78

@ Louis: What?! The Burbs was a great 80s movie. Also, District 9 was a pretty good movie. Are these really the movies you think are the worst?

March 29, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  218. Reinna

I meant Lil' Kim – sorry.

March 29, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  219. SwirlGirl

Wanted with Angelina Jolie and James McAvoy. I usually love those kinds of films but after paying for it on PPV what I WANTED was my $3.99 and those two long hours back.

March 29, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  220. Joy

"Why Do Fools Fall In Love" with an all star cast. It killed Lorenze Tates career. The movie was THAT BAD! We walked out on it and we have never walked out on a movie before. Luckily Blade was showing on the screen next door and we slipped into that.

March 29, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  221. Reinna

Hands down – "Gang of Roses". Lol' Kin in a love scene – that says it all.

March 29, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  222. DarlaDL

Worst ever – Starrbooty, RuPaul 2006, OK, yeah, I know.

March 29, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  223. Jackie

Worse movie ever: Labyrinth with David Bowie. And I can't believe I'm seeing the likes of Royal Tennenbaums, The Burbs, Star Wars, even Dogma on here when there are movies like anything with Britney Spears, Miley Sirus or Jessica Alba out there. Shame on you guys man... have you seen Waterworld? Glitter? Tron??

March 29, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  224. Todd

It's a toss up between Cabin Boy with Chris Elliott and Little Nicky with Adam Sandler.

March 29, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  225. Carlos

Howard the Duck was actually quite entertaining. I mean, c'mon...giant duck puppets and a catchy theme song. It's like if Hewy, Dewy, or Lewy tried to go solo.

March 29, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  226. moviegoer87

Paranormal Activity...just terrrible

March 29, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  227. David

The worst movie I ever saw in a theater was Star Wars Episode 2. Because of that horridly acted piece of trash, I feel like I've wasted my youth actually liking the first three Star Wars movies. It takes a real bad movie to destroy an entire franchise and childhood memory.

March 29, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  228. Brad

"The Cat in the Hat" The book is a childhood classic. Joyful with sublime subversive undertones.

The movie is a purile abomination.

The love of the source, and the hate of the movie are farther apart than any other adaptation I can think of!

March 29, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  229. The Truth

5) Twilight. As Will said above, vampires don't sparkle.

4) 2012. During the dramatic flight scene with buildings falling all around Cusack's plane, as a pilot wouldn't you know that planes go UP, so you could actually get ABOVE all the debris causing danger to your aircraft? Wish a chunk of bridge woulda nailed the plane, at least the movie woulda ended earlier.

3) Witless Protection. I knew it had to be bad, watched part of it just to enjoy how bad it was. Turned out a movie can be SO bad it causes pain to the viewer. Maybe Larry can go around and unhook cable connections before any other unfortunate clods like me is stupid enough to watch it.

2) Corky Romano. Tells you not ALL former SNL cast members should get movie offers!

1) Master of Disguise. Dana, don't do movies without Mike!

March 29, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  230. martha

killing me softly. ugh. boring.

March 29, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  231. Carolyn

Maid in Manhattan with Jennifer Lopez– makes me want to vomit when I think of the $6.50 I spent 10+ years ago. What a piece of crap!!

March 29, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  232. Dawn

Worse movie ever-Joe versus the Volcano. You figure Tom Hanks+Meg Ryan=Good Movie. NOPE. We didn't even make it till the credits ran, and there was one couple besides us left. Everyone else left! WOW

March 29, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  233. Peoples Critic

I agree with Doom, Burn After Reading.
    That movie November with Courtney Cox abosolutely sucks. I'd also like to add Gili, and Hollywood Homicide

March 29, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  234. suzan

i've several 'worst movies of all times'. #1 is the Royal Tannenbaums. pittiful. it was stupid. these actors should be above this kind of dribble. #2 is Dogma. disgraceful and in very bad taste. #3 are all three of the remakes of Ocean's Eleven. what a waste of time.

March 29, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  235. Dennis

Little Shop of Horrors (1986)

March 29, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  236. Joe

"Bonfire of the Vanities" – Tom Hanks, Melanie Griffith, Bruce Willis. So much wasted talent. Two hours of my life and $7 I will never get back.

and

Star Wars Episode 1 - it sucked so badly I am only just now getting around to renting Episodes 2 and 3. What was George Lucas thinking?

March 29, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  237. Soundwave

One word... DOOM!
    A movie based off a first person shooter game, starring the Rock.
    And then near the end it switches to a badly done first person shooter mode where you watch the chainsaw kill bad guys as if you were playing the game.
    Wow... now that was a bad movie.

March 29, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  238. Westcoast Guy

Kiss of the Spider Woman (1985). It still haunts me as the 3 hrs of my life I will -never-, -ever- get back. I would have had more enjoyment taking the money and burning it in the sewer.

March 29, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  239. Regina

The Mexican with Brad Pitt and Julia Roberts. Stupid.

March 29, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  240. Jackie

The worst movie I have ever paid to see was Cloverfield!!! It was absolutely terrible!!

March 29, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  241. G. Mahaffey

I agree that Bruno was the worst piece of bad taste under the guise of being a commedy-which is definately was NOT funny. There was a really bad one that Sean Connery did in the early 70's which he is still disavowing himself from called ZARDOZ. And also don't forget anything that Sylvester Stalone made under the sci-fi mantra (i.e. Judge Dredd and others).

March 29, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  242. hilda

this movie sucked and i still have not seen it lmao X(

March 29, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  243. Rbegg

I'm with you on the Burbs being a classic. I joke that if I ever meet Tom Hanks I'll tell him that's the best movie he ever made. And when I wake up on the floor with a black eye, I will go about my merry way.

March 29, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  244. monkey

O.K. so I am not sure why no one had picked BRUNO!! Just saw it this weekend and so dumb!! Please stop anyone you know who still want to see it but hasn't, not even worth the time!!

March 29, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  245. Will

Reflecting on what the Hamburglar said, the TWILIGHT movies rank right up there. Ok, I can get over the fact that vampires are walking around in broad daylight, but SPARKLE? Vampires don't SPARKLE for god's sake! It like watching My Little Pony with fangs film. And in the second film, is it possible for Edward to mope more? Cool has changed alot since I was a kid, but I'll take Lost Boys any day!

March 29, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  246. Eric Johnson

Catwoman...if you can make a movie where Halle Berry in skin tight leather and it still sux...that's bad!

March 29, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  247. Jason

hey now, The Burbs is a cult classic!!

March 29, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  248. StephanieH

Bug. with Ashley Judd. I watched it in amazement at how horredous it was. I love Ashley Judd and Harry Connick Jr., but hands down worst movie of the decade.

March 29, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  249. Maura

as much of a Gerard Butler fan as I am...I have to say "Gamer"....awful, awful, stupid movie!!

March 29, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  250. Lewis Frost

This is easy; I actually paid money to see "Can't Stop the Music" with the Village People and pre-nose job Bruce Jenner!

March 29, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  251. Jason

I'm torn between 4: Showgirls, Tyler Perry's The Family That Preys, Glitter, and the Halloween 2 remake by Rob Zombie.

March 29, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  252. Will

Soulplane has got to rank up there. How can you make a movie where Monique, an incredibly funny lady, isn't funny. And I think everyone got the fact that Snoop smoked pot after abuot the 400th Snoop smokes Pot Joke. The cheap consession stand straws kept kinking, or I would have been able to poke out my eyes to stop seeing the horror!

March 29, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  253. Steve

Starship Troopers is by far the worst movie i can think of off the top of my head and yet I watch it everytime I come across it on TV–the acting is so bad it's actually mesmerizing.

March 29, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  254. JES

Crank 2 is the worst by far. Everyone who had a hand in making this piece of garbage should have to write a note saying they are sorry and should also be banned from film for life.

March 29, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  255. ben larson

worst ever = THE BOX soooo terrible. then the twilight movies are right there too...

March 29, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  256. Hamburgler

Twilight. I feel more dumberer for having watched it.

March 29, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  257. P-Dub

Quarentine...what made it suck so bad was the use of looking through a cam-corder through out the entire move. Annoying!

March 29, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  258. brandon

The Happening was horrible. I got into the movie for free, but I was sorry that I wasted my time for it. TERRIBLE.

March 29, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  259. joe

Jeepers Creepers worst movie of all time and I love horror. I know there is a sequel but I thought the first one sucked so bad i never gave the second a chance

March 29, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  260. Nicolas

Dogma is the absolute worst.

March 29, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  261. MarkG

I walked out of "The 40-Year Old Virgin", and "Year One"; both were tragic!!

March 29, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  262. T Gamble

Exactly. Alice in W. was the worst ever. It made me physically angry to be watching it.

March 29, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  263. Elizabeth

Really? Burn after Reading? Classic Coen Brothers! You need to get your head checked B Martin.

March 29, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  264. jack merridew

Louise

District 9 was the absolute worst in my mind, replacing Glengarry Glen Ross, as the only movie I've ever walked out of before the middle.

yea were talking about movies that are bad not movies that apparently go over your head

March 29, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  265. jack merridew

without a doubt it was Stay with naomi watts and ryan gosling

jesus please explain this movie again and what the director was thinking when he finished it

also equlibrium

March 29, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  266. LBW

Message in a bottle. Stupid, stupid movie

March 29, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  267. Jersey

Pootie Tang by Chris Rock and Wanda Sykes appearing in this HORRIBLE movie. Should have never even made it to DVD, but had the nerve to be shown in movie theaters. Someone at the studio should have been fired behind this one.

March 29, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  268. M. Shane

The Room. So terrible, it's funny. Search it on youtube and see for yourself.

March 29, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  269. Kevin

Without a doubt the worst movie of all time was "The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover, despite having in its cast Sir JohnGielguld and Helen Mirren. You knew it was going to go downhil fast when in the opening scene a man is beaten and covered in feces, all very stylishly but , still human feces.... It only got worse from there.

March 29, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  270. Mrs. April Donald

Movies by Tyler Perry. The acting is poor, the actors are beautiful, the scripts are just not real.

March 29, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  271. Louie

A Tom Hanks flop from the '80s called "The Burbs." Absolutely terrible.

March 29, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  272. C Hendrick

I did not like Inglorious Bast@rds. Everyone I knew said it was the greatest...

March 29, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  273. Louise

March 29, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  274. Ryan

I would say there are two equal winners of the worst movie I ever paid money to see: #1- No Holds Barred... While everyone clearly appreciates Hulk Hogan's acting proficiency and one can make sense why it was made since for some clearly unknown reason professional wrestling still has a major audience, this didn't even rise to the bargain basement level I likely expected. Ok.. so I was 15.. but still.

The #2 worst movie really has 2 components, the movie and my sheer embarrassment of actually admitting I saw this in the theatre... TROOP BEVERLY HILLS... I cannot exactly see how this movie was made and more importantly how I ended up seeing it in the theatre. Yes, I was 14, but even at that age I should have known better. So, I will never get that hour and a half back but more importantly seeing this movie (and staying through it) may have stolen some testosterone Ive never fully been able to get back.

March 29, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  275. Joe ulloa

For me all time worst would be Eyes wide shut and then
    Vanilla sky.

March 29, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  276. laura

The worst movie I have ever seen was Hardware. Battlefield Earth came close but Hardware was much worse, and my husband made me sit through the whole thing... The sad thing is he still thinks it wasn't that bad but my brother was with us and he agrees with me...

March 29, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  277. Glenda

I know it's as the top in the boxoffice right now, but Alice was really bad. Johnny Depp dusted off the character from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and added weirder hair and hat.

March 29, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  278. Lamar

Still number 1 on my list of Worst Movies I Actually Saw in a Theater, after nearly 20 years, is Highlander 2: The Quickening. Aside from basically ignoring the events of the first Highlander film, it featured immortal aliens, Michael Ironside beating up a cab with a sword for no reason whatsoever and Sean Connery looking extremely embarrassed. A common joke among my friends at the time was "No one will be seated during Sean Connery's thrilling clothes-buying scene." To top it all off, the original version was incompetently edited; a number of scenes were very obviously out of order.

March 29, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  279. Brian again

Starship Troopers. Couldn't wait to get out of the theatre.

And Burn after Reading: the scene with Brad Pitt on the phone with Malkovitch-that is hilarious!

March 29, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  280. Mike

I was pretty angry that I spent my hard earned money on Glitter. What was I thinking? I had hoped that Mariah had some kind of talent, but alas-I was proven wrong. Her acting was as enjoyable as her screeching–I mean singing.

March 29, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  281. B Martin

Burn after Reading...Stupid, stupid movie. An absolute waste of film, time & energy! Too bad because it had a good cast. Terrible movie though! I wish I could get my wasted time watching back!

March 29, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |