March 29th, 2010

Screenwriter apologizes for 'Battlefield Earth'

testing captions
testing captions

J.D. Shapiro wants the world to know he is very, very sorry.

The writer of the screenplay for the film “Battlefield Earth” took to the pages of the New York Post to apologize for the movie recently presented with the Razzie Award for "Worst Movie of the Decade.”

“It wasn't as I intended – promise,” Shapiro said in an open letter. “No one sets out to make a train wreck. Actually, comparing it to a train wreck isn't really fair to train wrecks, because people actually want to watch those.”

Shapiro, who also wrote the screenplay for “Robin Hood: Men in Tights” and other films uses the letter to discuss how he came to write “Battlefield” which was based on the novel by Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard.

“It was 1994, and I had read an article in Premiere magazine saying that the Celebrity Center, the Scientology epicenter in Los Angeles, was a great place to meet women,” Shapiro wrote. “Touring the building, I didn't find any eligible women at first, but I did meet Karen Hollander, president of the center, who said she was a fan of "Robin Hood: Men in Tights."

Shapiro said Hollander approached him a few days later about writing a film based on one of Hubbard’s books. The result, he said, was very different from what he intended.

“My script was very, VERY different than what ended up on the screen,” Shapiro said. “My screenplay was darker, grittier and had a very compelling story with rich characters.”

And for those who actually paid money to see the film, Shapiro feels your pain.

“The only time I saw the movie was at the premiere, which was one too many times,” Shapiro wrote.

Filed under: movies

1. Julia Simpson

Impressive page. Waiting for you to continue the topic.

Julia Simpson
    polish escorts warsaw

December 2, 2010 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  2. LIlly

Man, was this movie bad. In every possibly way a movie can be bad. If it had been made as a spoof of the book that might have worked out better. But the original story isn't that well done either. Hubbard should have stuck to tax evasion. In the immortal words of Vinnie Barbarino.."Up your nose with a rubber hose".

April 1, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Martin

I loved that movie ... seriously ... i didnt have high hope in the beginnings but i must of watched it 10 to 15 times since it came out.

i never got why people thought it was so bad ... granted i was only about 13 when i came out but still.

April 1, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Albert

I saw this crap movie when I was in the Navy stationed in San Diego. This movie was pure garbage and seriously, about 10 minutes into it I was already looking around and ready to leave. I've never felt that with another movie. I sucked it up and stayed and watched it and told everyone I know not to even bother with it since it was the worst piece of crap I had seen.

Afterwards when I told my brother about how I wanted to leave after a few minutes he told me I should've told a manager and got a voucher to come back and see something else.

April 1, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mikey Mike

Definitely not the worst movie of the last 10 years! I also somewhat enjoyed this movie, its one of those movies where youre flipping through the channels and you just start watching it to just kinda see how bad it is, but then you end up watching the whole thing. And it keeps you rather entertained. A lot of it is pretty bad but i've seen way WAY worse!

April 1, 2010 at 3:08 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jess

Sat through this one late one night after cleaning out my mother's house after her death. My exhausted best friend and I were the only ones in the theater. We kept shouting things at the screen, like: "Barry! Your career, Barry!" My friend is in the film industry, and knows how directors speak, so every thirty seconds, when the director used that fabulous tricky transition between scenes, she would call out: "And... star wipe, and we're out!" It was great. The badness of this film made what should have been one of the worst days of my life into a great time. Thanks!

March 31, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. B-Earth Hater

This movie absolutely deserved the worst ever. I watched it because a friend of mine recommended it. Awful!

March 31, 2010 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Re: Born

I'm not here to Troll but I walked out on Avatar and sat through B.E.

March 31, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jim

Sorry, the worst movie of the decade was Supernova... REALLY Bad!
    This was however the biggest disappointment! Being a big SCI-FI buff I read Battlefield Earth when it came out, and LOVED IT! I was able to put the man who wrote it aside, and really got into the book!
    I was really looking forward to seeing it on the big screen until I heard what they were doing to the book... They turned an A-List book into a C-List movie... Read the book!
    Still I wasn't ripped off when I saw it... Dollar theater, discount night, $0.50... It was about right... Still I won't watch it again...
    But if I had to watch it or Supernova, I'd watch Battlefield Earth...

March 31, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jake

The only reason people hate this movie is because Travolta and Whittaker look completely repulsive. Plus the idea of Scientology in the back of their minds. It's not the worse movie of the decade. The LOTR trilogy far trumps this movie's disgusting overrtones.

March 31, 2010 at 1:54 am | Report abuse |
  11. flossmore

I don't mind a crappy movie once in a while, but anyone who thinks that L Ron's book ought to be a "religion" is crazy! Some of you nuts will believe anything....geeze!

March 30, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Steve

The book is outstanding and the only way to do it justice is with a mini-series. If it is done well and stays with the book, it would be fantastic.

March 30, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Ron

I have to give the guy credit for stepping to the plate. I have never seen it but I have read so many bad things about it that it has become almost iconic! Good stuff! 8-)

March 30, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  14. vechron

I kinda liked it...

March 30, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  15. chacasig

Yes his comments are harsh and the "award" is harsh, but this article is at he same time poking fun at the Razzie awards. They are just trying to be funny in this article by exagerrating every comment. I like his "train wreck" comment. LOL!

March 30, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Guy B.

Worst SF movies ever for me where the two Gor movies, they where so bad, the new tv show with Lucy Lawless approches this as well, so BE not so bad compared to all that.

March 30, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Bad Karma 62

two words "Heavens Gate"......well maybe more than two words..."worst movie ever"

March 30, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Victor

Catwoman was way worse.

March 30, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Apu Whopooped

The book is horrible, the movie worse. Read decent sci-fi - A Canticle for Leibowitz, Oryx and Crake, The Man in the High Castle, Ilium/Olympos, Hyperion - and stop pretending the LRon Hubbard is a genius. He is a hack, of the same skill level as the nitwits who wrote 'Left Behind.'

Scientology is retarded and destined to vanish from the Earth. Anonymous: we are Legion, and we do not forget.

March 30, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  20. MVK

The movie was very intertaining. 50% of the movies Hollywood makes suck, but that doesn't mean people won't see them and still enjoy them. I wish the critics would get a life other than writing bad stuff about movies. So what if they don't like them. I don't even read the rewiews that are written. I see a movie based on the trailers.

March 30, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  21. samborino

Finally, someone takes responsibility. Now if we can just get one for Independence Day.

March 30, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  22. hp

@monkey: I can't believe you have seen Manos: Hand of Fate!! That just completely made my day. I have never met another soul that has seen that one! Please tell me you have seen the MST version!

March 30, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Roseanne

I LOVED this movie. It was my perfect scifi end of the world laugh that had me going. It doesn't belong on this list of flops, I've seen horrible terrible movies that deserve to be on the list... but people love em.

March 30, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Bruiser

I read the book. It's a very complex read, but i didn't think it was that bad. Too many thing didn't make it in too the movie

March 30, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Richard

I personally have read Battlefield Earth over 20 times or so and I really enjoyed the book. However, soon as I heard Travolta bought the rights and was going to make it into a movie I just knew it would turn out badly. Even though I thought long and hard about parting ways with my money to actually see it at the movies I did so and I regretted it. They basically butchered the book and what I saw on the big screen was nothing short of a tragity.

I would really like to see Battlefield Earth done again by someone who actually read the book several times and could lay out a screenplay that would be followed that would bring this book to life.

March 30, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  26. bdub

Well, I read the book and liked it (as a teenager). I read other LRON sci0fi too and didn't think it was too bad, he could certainly tell a story (in more ways than one).

I tried watching the movie, but it was horrible.

Still, it could be worse, they could have made a religion out of it...

March 30, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  27. karin

I fell asleep watching this movie and when I woke up I was like, crap it's still on!

March 30, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  28. chris

i dont care about this crappy movie. i just wanted to say john travoltas a total phony dick!!!! during the recent earthquake in haiti he flew a buncha planeloads of medical supplies and things. very good right?? well (and this is from someone who was there and involved.) when he landed they unloaded the plane and shook hands and took pictures but when that was all over with they packed the stuff back up and drove it to another part of haiti and gave it out from a clinic where the people hadda agree to be exsposed to scientology to be treated. and thats not even the worst part, alotta the medical supplies had to be refrigerated and where of no use by the time they reached the scientology clinic where they where supposed to be administered.

March 30, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Jack

The only thing worse than this movie is watching it be defended in the comments section by people who are sympathetic to the cause of the Scientologists. Did you forget that the precept behind this "religion" is that an alien force led by Lord Xenu (Thank you, South Park) was attempting to wipe out the souls of other aliens, which then found their way into the creatures of earth? The movie isn't entertaining on even a B-movie level because the actors are taking themselves seriously. Take the screenwriter's apology for what it's worth and also remember that in order to be considered as "Worst movie of the decade" it had to beat out "Gigli".

March 30, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  30. I saw Battlefield Earth

I saw this movie when it came out 10 years ago. Indeed Shapiro owes us an apology. This was a movie I was excited to see, but got to the theater and wished to God, I had never laid eyes on it.

March 30, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  31. RichG

Of course it sucked, it starred the most overrated actor ever in it. JT plays the worse villain in any movie.

March 30, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Marky61

It was a pretty funny apology by Shapiro. Based on that, I believe he's an accomplished screenwriter. His movie couldn't be worse than The Men Who Stare at Goats, which I watched last night. Gawd, that was a turkey. Just goes to show you big-name actors can't save a bad film.

March 30, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  33. JoseF

I agree, but then how can you make a good movie out of one of the worst SciFi books ever written. Ron is up their with the worst of the SciFi writers. For my money I'll take the ABC's Asimov, Bradbury & Clark, followed by Herburt and Hienlien. Thoughtful SciFi, not alien creatures attack earth, thats the usaul crap. Great SciFI : :The Foundation series, "Dune", 2001 A Space Oddesey; etc.

March 30, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  34. mdt

Note the combination of L. Ron Hubbard, John Travolta, and Forrest Whittaker. All Scientologists. The movie was a good concept. But somehow I can't get past the difficulty believing a primitive people could master 21st century military technology. And wouldn't the fuel go bad after a few centuries?

March 30, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Susie

District 9 was worse. I actually rooted for the alien.

March 30, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Don Peters

Yes B.E. was terrible. Even worse than Precious.
    Howard was right!

March 30, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Cyprus Miles

I'm looking forward to the sequel. Battlefield Earth: Rise of the Scientoligists

March 30, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Joe

Noticed a lot of MST3K fans here. leftcoastblue go to Rifftrax.com and you can get a MST3K version of Battlefield Earth done by Mike Nelson, Kevin Murphy, and Bill Corbett. The now do MP3s to play along side of the movie so they don't need to get rights to the movies. You just have to buy or rent the movie. I love the ones they did on Twilight and Harry Potters.

All MST3K fans should check out Rifftrax.com.

March 30, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  39. John

Battlefield Earth is "Gone With The Wind" compared to some other disasters. Try Joe Pesci and Danny Glover in "Gone Fishin'". Although these guys are usually fairly decent actors, this movie just reaffirms that little can be done with a bad script with a terrible director.

March 30, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Rich

The Master of Disguise with Dana Carvey was the worst movie of the decade!

March 30, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Samuel

He went there to meet women? Are you serious, where do I go? I haven't met a woman in over 3 years.

March 30, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Big Daddy

This was not the worse movie, just a bad movie. The ending was implausible, the acting from John Travolta less then amateurish and I could see some of the characters were not fully developed.

I would like to see the movie made again but this time following Shapiro's screenplay more closely. Plus without the ridiculous Travolta character and horrible acting. I do remember reading the book many years ago. The storyline was a good one, much better than TV programs like V.

But as usual the people in Hollywood land are amazing alchemists who can turn gold into excrement and excrement into gold.

March 30, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  43. OMG

of course travolta was in the movie – tom c is/was too short – hubbard was going to have one of his own do this – some one has to like them – guess there are so many of THEM now, they can support travolta and tom c.....poor losers.....

March 30, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  44. D Nelson

I can honestly say that I have seen dozens of films worse than Battlefield Earth in the last decade. People who call it the worst movie obviously don't see very many movies.

March 30, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  45. RM

This should have been announced 9 years ago. BE is from 2000, the last year in the 1991-2000 (proper) decade. The millenial decade didn't start until 2001.

March 30, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  46. timebomb2

Have you ever seen "Bean" or "Mr. Magoo"?

March 30, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Janet

Much worse movies than this one - try sitting thru Saturday Night Fever, Love Story or Pretty Woman or the horrible original Dune movie. That last one was just painful. Dune books are incredible, but the movie was a bad cartoon by comparison
    Strangely enough, I actually like Battlefield Earth. Takes a bit of getting used to, but it does have its moments. Not exactly what you expect from Travolta, but that's part of what I did like - not the usual pretty-boy-look-at-me stuff.

March 30, 2010 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  48. jay

The Thin Red Line – worst movie ever!!!!!!!! ahhhhhh

March 30, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  49. Munchy

Now who's going to apologize for Plan 9 From Outer Space? Decades overdue!

March 30, 2010 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  50. rjp3

I love the Scientologist leaving comments that their cult's propoganda movie is GOOD.

LOLOL

March 30, 2010 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  51. petey

I actually liked it. John T was a lot of fun and it was amusing at times.

March 30, 2010 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  52. Al

I have not nor do I intend to see this but how could this have beat out Sideways?

March 30, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  53. melly

I'm sorry, Battlefield sucked, but the WORST movie of ALL TIME is "Ring of Darkness". They show it on Shotime once in a while, and when they do, I'm there.

Who can pass up the epic story of a boy band searching for a new member? A boy band made up entirely of ZOMBIES!!

Yes, it could be the premise for the most hilarious comedy ever made, but they take themselves completely seriously, making the "hot" guys chowing down on the guys who didn't make the cut that much funnier. Seriously, rent it, Netflix it, whatever. It's so bad.

SO. BAD.

March 30, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  54. Wyomingite

My only problem is that all of the "horrible" movies people keep mentioning in these comments are constantly played on cable. Wouldn't it be great if they would actually listen to the audience and only played good movies?
    While BE was indeed really bad, it actually was played in theaters. It really makes me mad when we get direct-to-DVD movies because even Hollywood knows that they are crap, but they put them anyway.

March 30, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  55. Tom

Funny, I think I just watched the worst movie of the decade, and all the "critics" loved it and called it one of the best ever. It was "There will be blood". Walked away thinking there was 3 hours of my life I will never get back.

March 30, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  56. Matt

Thank you Mr. Sharpiro!

March 30, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  57. MikeD

'Cabin Boy' left me wanting to claw my own eyes out while getting a labotomy – I'd rather have been in the dentist's chair ala Little Shop of Horrors than see that monstrosity. Travolta sucks but Chris Elliott is by far the worst (I don't call him an 'actor' because he can't act).

March 30, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  58. Brian

I think someone should be shot for inventing the Scientology religion, since that's what this crap movie is based upon. Oh, that's right – L Ron Hubbard's already in his heaven, battling his Thetans.

March 30, 2010 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  59. smbitterman

For some reason, I thought this "honor" went to Gigli or Catwoman?

March 30, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  60. Buck12

Joan Stuchner....what are you talking about? This is an article about a movie, not all that other stuff you mentioned.

That being said, I can think of several other movies that were worse than this one, but i guess it's all based on individual preference in the end.

March 30, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  61. laney0815

The book is awesome. It's long but well worth the read.

March 30, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  62. Charlotte

I thought The Ten was actually the worst movie this decade....but then again I never saw BE.

March 30, 2010 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  63. rbmeoe

BE was not a good movie, but the worst of the decade, hardly. For sci-fi, and I'm a big fan, District 9 was the absolute worst waste of time!! I watched the whole movie waiting for it to make sense, I kept expecting something to happen to bring it together and then it was over. It was just plain stupid. At least BE had a story line that you could follow, a dumb story line, with poor acting and worse costumes, but at least it made sence as you watched. While I'm glad to have never paid money to see BE, there are a LOT worse films that are out there, Gigili comes to mind, I think I lasted about 5 minutes and then started watching something more interesting, I think it was the weather channel from Europe, and I live in Texas!!!!

March 30, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  64. solo75

When I went to see this movie, I left the theater after 15 minutes. I went to talk to the theater manager and I got my money back.

March 30, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  65. Joan Stuchner

I don't think screenwriters should get all the negative attention. How about worst plumbing job of the decade, worst electrical wiring, or worst appendectomy (Surgeon: 'I started out with the best intentions – honest.') And do you mean to say there isn't a razzie for the worst President? Prime Minister? Pope?

March 30, 2010 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  66. Tony

It's a bad movie. Worse than that, it's a ..l..o..n..g.. bad movie. But like it's been said dozens of time here, there have been much worse movies. The only reason it made the list is because it's fun to pick Scientologists. I think Scientologists are goofy, but no goofier than Christians.

March 30, 2010 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  67. Mark from Colorado

After watching it all I could think of was I'll never get that two hours of my life back. What a waste of time that could have been so good had the original script been followed.

March 30, 2010 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  68. RS

Yeah this movie was pretty crappy. So was Ghosts of Mars as Matt said. I also didn't care for Beowulf with Christopher Lambert. There have been a lot of stinkers out there. I remember going with a friend to see Tales From the Crypt's Bordello of Blood, and we walked out when it was over and agreed it was a waste of our hard earned money. I also felt that way when I bought the movie Ultraviolet. It's just one of those things where it's a hit or miss process.

March 30, 2010 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  69. Tbaum101

This movie really wasn't that bad. If I remember right, it was one of those films in which it became trendy to bash on. I have seen some awful films and this one doesn't pop up in my mind when thinking about them. What does pop up, although not made in this decade is Mortal Kombat II..possibly the worst movie of all time. Worst of the decade? I would go with Push. I saw it at the theater and just couldn't stand it anymore and got up and left.

March 30, 2010 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  70. zzmook

This seriously is the worst movie ever. I tried to watch it all the way through, couldn't. I am a sci-fi fan, I like most things the actors in this movie are in, there's just something about this film that just instantly sets off my "This Sucks" sensors and I have to run screaming from the room. It's truly deserving of this award.

March 30, 2010 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  71. Scientology.go.away

Yes, this movie was that horrible and more. It is probably the worst movie I've seen in my life and a total waste of money. It was so bad, the theater manager gave us free tickets to watch another movie so that actually negated the waste of money. Actually, it didn't negate the waste of money because that horrendous movie got my money instead of another decent movie. Anybody who does not agree this movie was that bad is either a Scientologist or has bad taste in movies.

March 30, 2010 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  72. Ian

Failure to Launch was a much worse film than this – so was All About Steve

March 30, 2010 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  73. EinDC

Personally, I tend to enjoy 'bad' movies. This is definitely a 'bad' movie but it's not a 'terrible' movie.

After the opening vignette, not one scene is shot at a right angle – HILARIOUS!

March 30, 2010 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  74. Matt

Yes, BE was bad but the worst of all time has got to be "Ghosts of Mars". This is one that a friend rented and brought over. It's the only movie I had the chance to watch in my home on DVD for free that I turned off because everyone agreed it was so bad it gave sucked a bad name. We were predicting the next scene in the most rediculous and cliched way we could come up with and we were right every time!

March 30, 2010 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  75. Matt

Yup, truly awful movie and certainly worse than Catwoman. Actually, the only possible way this movie gets close is if you never read the book. This was another one of those adaptations where you could change the names and nobody would even think that it was based on the novel.

On the flip side, as disappointing as the movie was, there are several smaller budget films that are much, much worse.

March 30, 2010 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  76. Anne

To those of you who say that "Battlefield Earth" was not the worst movie of the decade... ARE YOU NUTS??! You must be Scientologists, that's the ONLY explaination. Battlefield Earth is entirely unwatchable. The characters are forgettable and the dialog is actually painful - seriously, it's physically painful, just thinking about it makes my organs hurt, ALL MY ORGANS.

Frankly, I feel like a blanket apology through a noteworthy newspaper isn't enough. I feel like this man needs to come by every last unfortunate audience member who had to sit through this hot mess and apologize to them personally. I'll be expecting a fruit basket as well. It's the least he could do.

March 30, 2010 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  77. Foreigner

Worst movie of the decade? C'mmon! Worst mvovie of the decade has to be Transformers 2. I so wished to be struck by lightning and rendered blind and deaf as I watched this monstrosity. By the way I loved Transformers 1. I heard there is going to be a Transformers 3 as well. Oh God!

March 30, 2010 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  78. H. Pine

This was the first film that I saw with the woman who was to become my wife. Luckily, she forgave me for taking her to see it! I'm a big SciFi fan so I wanted to see it. But it turned out to be the one AND ONLY film where I laughed uncontrollably in the movie theater. I was spinning around and falling out of my seat. The dialogue was ecruciating and the site of Travolta (who I like in most everything else) was so ridiculous looking in that costume. It was memorable!

March 30, 2010 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  79. Robert Holt

I actually own and like this movie – I think Barry Pepper did a fine job portraying the main character. I am a science-fiction fan and I've seen many many many bad science-fiction movies and this is not one of them.

March 30, 2010 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  80. Mark McWane

I was so looking forward to a decent movie version of Hubbard's novel, but wondered how they would handle the translation of a massive book to the screen. I was even more excited that the Scientologist's got behind the movie, as I expected them to stay true to the book. The deviations from the novel were horrible and ruined the movie in my opinion.

The humans that survived did not live in caves nor did they wear caveman-style clothing. They lived in a small town hidden in the hills and dressed like normal, albeit beaten down, people.

The worst deviation from the book to the movie was finding intact jets after a thousand years, and find them in such shape as to actually fly them. With no training. Right. In the book they flew Psychlo craft, so why even change that?

Terl and the Psychlos were much more menacing in the book, versus the comedic twist used in the movie. It simply did not work. The screenwriter of this movie and the producers who signed off on what actually made it onto the screen trashed a very decent science fiction novel.

March 30, 2010 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  81. Phil

I have to chuckle at the "in defense of Battlefield Earth" posts. I guess everyone likes different things, but this movie was so bad that future generations might ban it out of public health concerns. I mean, wow. Anyway, Mr. Shapiro, I accept your apology–you filthy man-animal.

March 30, 2010 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  82. Dave

This was John Travolta at his best.

March 30, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  83. Dave

I thought the movies pones.

March 30, 2010 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  84. Stevo

Twilight gets my vote for the worst movie of the decade...hands down. Bad acting, bad writing, not entertaining...just a big blah of a movie.

March 30, 2010 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  85. AshannaK

I saw this picture and couldn't agree more. However, my opinion is not that it's the worst movie of the decade. It's the worst movie ever made. Even 'Plan Nine from Outer Space' was better.

March 30, 2010 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  86. Mattski

hey there's a smiley face at the bottom of this page.

March 30, 2010 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  87. Mattski

can you say "blade runner"?

March 30, 2010 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  88. Boo Boo

Yes, this movie was unwatchable – after I saw it I felt like I needed to take a bath!

March 30, 2010 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  89. Robert

I never seen the movie but the worst movie of all time has to be Alvin and Chipmunks 2. I am still mad I paid to take my kids to see that crap.

March 30, 2010 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  90. Dave

As science fiction goes i thought it was awesome. Alien, Star Wars, District 9, Close Encounters and 2001: A space odessy don't even come close to measuring up.

March 30, 2010 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  91. Robert

The movie "Battlefield Earth" portrays what the Church of Scientology actually believes. Their church's scripture provides the script for "the worst movie of the decade." Very funny, scary, and sad at the same time.

March 30, 2010 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  92. Gary

It is a terrible movie. Worst of the decade... not sure, but definitely bad.

March 30, 2010 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  93. fernando

all these bad movies are fun to watch in fact... and you learn a lot from them

March 30, 2010 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
  94. Dragun

You know i read this book and absolutely loved it, but unfortunately the movie fell into a category allot of Movies made from books do. They tried to fit 500+ pages of content into roughly 100 minutes of movie time.

While i disagree that the movie was THAT bad, it definitely was by no means good. I do feel for the screenwriter because if it had come off as intended, the dark and gritty tale the book truly portrays it might have had more commercial success.

However i must admit that John Travolta's portrayal was absolutely dead on to the essence of that race. But they added a campy-ness to it that just wasn't there in the book. Oh well, you cant win em all i guess.

March 30, 2010 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
  95. DChamp

See, I loved the movie... but I took it in a "Campy" way.
    Sure there were glaring plot holes, but in no way was it that bad!

I've seen much much worse movies than this!

March 30, 2010 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  96. Dino

And these actors / producers / directors were paid millions for this trash. No wonder the price of movie tickets is so high-they pass on all these costs to all movies.

March 30, 2010 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
  97. Jeff

The book was awesome, the movie made Mr. Hubbard roll over in his space ship.

March 30, 2010 at 7:15 am | Report abuse |
  98. Richard

"Manos" and "Monster-A-Go-Go" may both be worse but both of them cost less to make than what craft services spent each morning on bagels for "Battlefield: Earth." "B:E" made "Waterworld" look tightly edited and carefully budgeted.

Anyone who has ever seen "Manos," including on MST3K, if you wonder why each shot lasts about eight seconds, it's because they had a spring-wound movie camera and it held about eight seconds worth of film.

March 30, 2010 at 7:06 am | Report abuse |
  99. Dima

Ya, the movie was not so bad at all.... I liked it

March 30, 2010 at 6:59 am | Report abuse |
  100. Kenneth

This movie was excruciating in its awfulness. Worst movie of the decade?? It's the worst movie EVER - terrible story, terrible acting, terrible sets. A total stinker!

March 30, 2010 at 6:53 am | Report abuse |
  101. Schulz

I did read the book (Not bad, if a little long...) and had a friend working on the pic; even got a crew jacket from him, which I stil have... wonder what that would fetch on e-bay ;-) The movie is a piece of crap no doubt, but it was funny to read in another commentary that someone thought 'Ballistic – Ecks vs. Sewer' was worse. That WAS the same production company... Franchise Pictures, which I had the misfortune to be professionally involved with. Thank heavens they're gone!!

March 30, 2010 at 6:46 am | Report abuse |
  102. Bob

As a fan of bad movies, I think B.E. is wildly entertaining, just not in the way its makers intended. It's also a great drinking game! Everyone takes a shot anytime someone says "Rat brain".

Seriously, stop looking at B.E. for what it's trying to be and watch it for what it is. "Plan 9 From Outer Space" is still king, but B.E. is definitely somewhere in the royalty. For a truly BAD movie that's unbearable to watch and has no entertainment value what-so-ever, my vote goes to "Gigli."

March 30, 2010 at 6:33 am | Report abuse |
  103. timj

Worst of the decade was Pirates Of The Carribean 3 – bilge.

March 30, 2010 at 6:25 am | Report abuse |
  104. Christy

B.E. was not the worse movie of the decade...stop beating yourself up. Geez and you blew all that money to post an apology. Sending you a biiiig hug... now get back out there are try again!

March 30, 2010 at 5:57 am | Report abuse |
  105. MJ

Why not put your money where your mouth is? If you feel the pain for the victims who had to sit through your movie, then put your hands into your overwhelmingly deep pockets, and pay them all back

March 30, 2010 at 5:52 am | Report abuse |
  106. JJinCVCA

Dale, I don't even watch those movies. They're a lot like Jerry Bruckheimer and Michael Bay movies...

March 30, 2010 at 4:36 am | Report abuse |
  107. Ripe Bananas

Not the best approach for a 21st century movie, but, this may have been the best way to connect to a Scientologists calibre, thru racial slavery.

A more modern approach to other forms of slavery, would have worked much better. Maybe if the storyline was about a futuristic healthcare system who cancels sick people, or government run banks who hike interest rates and sell faulty mortgages and buy up corporations, or maybe a futuristic personal political army used for vengence and vendettas, or maybe a futuristic tribe that hungers for energy and resources and colonizes new worlds just to monopolize, or maybe a futuristic polar ice cap that melts and floods coastlines.

March 30, 2010 at 4:35 am | Report abuse |
  108. Miguel Mertens

It is a pity that the film didn't explore the full potential of the book. Battlefield Earth is a great read, which I have enjoyed a few times. To fulfill the promise of the book, the film should have been at least 3 hours long and, even then, it would be difficult to capture the depth of the book. Maybe in a few years someone will take another shot at it. The storyline really is worth it.

March 30, 2010 at 4:32 am | Report abuse |
  109. Edward

Flying jumpjets as an evolutionary regression. Does not speak highly of our Marines or the British. (just kidding) Still power to the writer who stands up on says sorry. The worst part is how many movies it could have been, I haven't even seen one with Jean Claude Van Damme's name yet, but sure that is an oversight.

March 30, 2010 at 4:21 am | Report abuse |
  110. Dale

What, worse than "Soul Plane"? Or ANYTHING with those punks Adam Sandler or Ben Stiller (Dodgeball excepted, thanks Vince Vaughn)? Jerry Stiller was funnier in one episode of Seinfield than his idiotic son will ever be.....

March 30, 2010 at 4:19 am | Report abuse |
  111. JJinCVCA

Most movies produced by Jerry Bruckheimer...and virtually every movie directed by Michael Bay...are collectively the worst movies ever made. Their movies are filled with 2-dimentional characters that are easily forgettable and the dialogue is dumbed down to the lowest common denominator.

March 30, 2010 at 4:12 am | Report abuse |
  112. Bubye Thetan

No matter how great a screen writer might be, when you take a failed science fiction book written by a failed scientific writer the movie will be a failure.

March 30, 2010 at 4:04 am | Report abuse |
  113. ATEEKSTER

What’s wrong with film critics? Surely there are worst movies out there. This movie was good, entertaining, fun! Every time it’s on TV it gets me hooked. I mean come on, Travolta is in it, explosions, aliens, cool weapons. What more do people want? Well, since Hurt Locker won over Avatar, I have lost trust in those so called film critics. A movie should be rated good or bad based on the number of tickets they sell.

March 30, 2010 at 3:38 am | Report abuse |
  114. Randy

Obviously he never saw the movie, "Freddy Got Fingered" with Tom Green. It is quiet possibly the worst movie ever.

March 30, 2010 at 2:45 am | Report abuse |
  115. Khadijah

I always assumed that the problem with the picture was a low budget. It seemed like something that was put together over a few beers on a saturday in the back yard.

The Movie was Scientology, and taken strictly as fiction, not bad material IMHO. I always laugh when I find out that people actually believe some of it as fact. :)

March 30, 2010 at 2:40 am | Report abuse |
  116. Chris

I thought it was an ok movie, I guess not tho.

March 30, 2010 at 2:29 am | Report abuse |
  117. teslacad

funky luk is all needed.......can be a good comedy movie

March 30, 2010 at 2:21 am | Report abuse |
  118. Stephen Falk

Absolutely the biggest piece (of very funny) crap ever made.
    Apology accepted..

March 30, 2010 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
  119. Aymz

I was fortunate enough to read the book first; it was spectacular, truly riveting, the way it describes world economics is just brilliant. The biggest problem with the movie, other than the important fact that is just plain disappointed, was that it only focused on the first, third? or quarter, im not really sure, of the book. So much more happened afterward, and that is what i wanted to see put on the screen, the lawyers, those shark-people (clever pun, having the intergallactic lawyers portrayed as shark-type aliens).

Even the parts of the book the movie was based on didnt hold up. But, you can never make a great movie of a book (Harry Potter series, im looking at you) that is why im afraid to read LOTR, the movies, as far as i know, captured the story in its entirety. Im sure that is not the case, but im glad to be oblivious.

March 30, 2010 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
  120. Jimbo

Probably still better than "A Serious Man"

March 30, 2010 at 1:20 am | Report abuse |
  121. Bob

This was John Travolta's baby for LRon and it turned out to be the worst piece of trash in many a galactic moon.

Watch out John, L.Ron, is out there in cosmos scanning the magnetic impulses given off by your shame and you certainly will have to undergoe some significant auditing. You may even be demoted from your "Operating Thetan: spiritual awareness status back to a "Preclear".

Finally, just the the Gestapo, failure is not taken lightly, especially when it involves the big L Ron Hubbard. The 5'7" head of the Church with equally short Tom Cruise at his side (Napoleanic complexes) yields out the punishment until you get your self back into a state a Clear.

So John buddy, take it like a man and you have a shot at being an Operating Thetan (the highest level) once again.

March 30, 2010 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
  122. Guest1234

is it the worst movie ever to be released on tv or in the big screen in the past 10 years? um. Not really. Its bad, really bad. Is it the worst. No.

Has anyone seen any of the made-for-tv movies that the sci-fi channel made? I say those are worst than Battlefield Earth. But of course I know the site isn't comparing B.E. with the scifi channel movies.

I hate B.E. cause it's a crappy movie and it bored me to the point where I fell asleep. Plus I didn't understand it either when I first saw it. I had to watch it several times to watch it. But it's not the worst movie in the past ten years

March 30, 2010 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
  123. Ashe

The Moonstone of Fez (1913) I saw it at the movies. A total waste of a dime.

March 30, 2010 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  124. JODIBELL

While this movie was not great, I have seen a lot worse. I absolutely loved the book. I felt that the movie did not acurately portray Johnny and what led up to his captivity. It also did leave a lot out. I talked my husband, who did not read the book, to watch it with me and I spent most of the time explaining everything to him. He just didn't get it and I know that if I had not read the book, it would have been worse for me as well. I just think that Mr. Hubbard should stick to writing his books and get out of the religion bussiness.

March 30, 2010 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  125. Rob

One of the best quotes of any movie ever comes from Roger Ebert:

"Battlefield Earth is like taking a bus trip with someone who has needed a bath for a long time. It's not merely bad; it's unpleasant in a hostile way."

March 30, 2010 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  126. Dan

C'mon, cave men who can fly AV-8B Harrier jump jets that have been sitting around for years without having ever flown. Then they fly them in combat and win. Well it is Sci-FI.

March 30, 2010 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  127. texasw

Not a bad movie at all. The book is brilliant, and I've read it many times. I suggest the book, which doesn't seem to have anything to do with Scientology. Hubbard was original God of sci-fi. He influenced Heinlein and practically every great science-fiction writer of the twentieth century. I suppose that's why such greats as Larry Niven and Kevin J. Anderson are judges of the Writers of the Future contest. All you detractors out there–care to say anything bad about them? Didn't think so. You'd be showing your real IQ if you did. Also, your complete lack of taste and decorum.

March 29, 2010 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  128. JJ

Any of the Charlie's Angels movies... BE couldn't have been worser than those.

March 29, 2010 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  129. Jim

Wow...this sounds pretty bad. Guess I'm gonna have to watch it to see for myself.

March 29, 2010 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  130. Dennis

Clearly most of the people posting on this story saying this movie wasn't that bad are Scientologists.

This movie was worse than the vomit from a leprous pig. The dialogue was bad, but the directing, acting, special effects, cinematography (overused Dutch angles for one), to paraphrase Mel Brooks, rose below horrific.

March 29, 2010 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Linda

What are you talking about Bobby? I loved "Children of Men".
    Now the movie that I just can"t get out of my head as 'the worst' I have ever seen is "Dr. T and the Women" with Richard Gere. Yikes, that was bad.

March 29, 2010 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  132. mattmchugh

How do you define "bad"? There's certainly no lack of entertainment value in "Battlefield Earth." John Travolta in dreadlocks and platform boots. Cavemen flying 1000-year-old jets, hooting like chimps. This flick's a hoot from start to finish.

March 29, 2010 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  133. John

If the original screenplay is as good as J.D. says, perhaps a remake is in order. Have to ask if Tom would be interested. Though Mel is speaking from the other camp he could provide some input as well..

March 29, 2010 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  134. andrew

i liked the movie it was basically independence day but with an almost believable plot

if it was actually directed or acted properly it could have been good as independence day or better imo

March 29, 2010 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  135. Bobby

Never seen this movie, but I know for a fact that it can't be worse than "Children of Men." Clive Owen should be banned from making movies.

March 29, 2010 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  136. DJeM

This movie was really horrible. Horrible. I'm glad I didn't spend my money on it, but it was approx. 2 hours of my life watching it that I won't get back. I would say one of the worst of the decade – there were a few to choose from. B.E., Ballistic Ecks Vs. Sever, Judge Dred, and Showgirls were all quite putrid.

March 29, 2010 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  137. Phil

Judge Dred. I wanted my money back :(

March 29, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  138. Ray Cassick

Oh come on... THEY picked THIS as the worst one? I actually liked it. I don't agree with the Scientology 'thing' but that has no bearing on the quality of JTs work. The concept of the film was good, I thought the acting was good, and I actually enjoyed the concept. It's just a Sci-Fi movie from a different angle.

March 29, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Jase

Last plot point of the movie I remember...super smart gold loving aliens take over the Earth in minutes, and don't know there is a ton of gold in Fort Knox. I did mention they were portrayed super smart, right?
    =
    The WORST movie of the decade & some seriously shi**y writing.

March 29, 2010 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  140. Jase

Another plot point of the movie...humans with no knowledge of technology at all, learn to fly fighter jets from simulator training.
    =
    One really horrible movie & some more shi**y writing.

March 29, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  141. Jase

A plot point of the movie was to release the captured humans to find out what they like to eat. When one of them grabs a rat and starts to mack down on it cause he's starving, the aliens think it's a favorite "man-animal" treat...then proceed to force feed Barry Pepper a rat as a bribe.
    =
    One horrible movie & shi**y writing.

March 29, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  142. Richard

Had Battlefield Earth been made by James Cameron it would have been hailed as a work of genius. The movie never had a chance because the name L. Ron Hubbard was attached to it. The haters destroy what they do not understand.

March 29, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  143. Rev Mike

Never saw the movie! Read the book that was bad enough that the movie had to be a dud!

March 29, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  144. Mel

Come on, people! The worst movie of all times is "Postal"! Not only was it offensive, lewd, crude and cruel, it didn't even make a single dollar, since nobody wanted to show it in any movie theater in America. Look it up and you'll see!

March 29, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  145. Jo

I don't know, It was writen by the inventor of the greatest religeon on earth! How can you go wrong. Writer – creator – visionist. A real hands in your pocket kind of guy. As when he took my money for the movie, gag! then, and are taking all these delusional people now.

March 29, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  146. Calvin Hobbs

It's true, the aliens are coming for us!

March 29, 2010 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  147. justin

This wasn't that bad of a film, again it wasn't going to win any Oscars, but it wasn't as bad as people made it out to be. I think the premise was unique and creative, but yes, the acting and the makeup were pretty bad but not anywhere NEAR deserving worst movie of the decade. I would agree that Catwoman deserves that dishonor.

March 29, 2010 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  148. Sean

This movie wasn't that bad. If you like sci fi its pretty entertaining. Not sure why everyone has been scientology-hating on this film for years. That's clearly the agenda. Not that I really care, but it's obvious thats where the negativity is coming from.

March 29, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  149. Tim W.

I must now apologize to I guess because I liked the movie !

March 29, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  150. Eric Nicolas

As a follow-up, since people are making comparisons, a great barf-bag triple bill would be "Battlefield Earth", "Showgirls", and "Waterworld". For extra barf, throw-in "Dune".

March 29, 2010 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  151. Eric Nicolas

As one of the few non-Scientologists who actually read Hubbard's book, an experience from which I am stil recovering all these years later, I can state that the movie was actually BETTER – so you get some idea how truly awesomely bad the book is. I only watched the movie to see how they might pull-off stone-age Scotsmen flying jet fighters. Just as stupidly as in the book, that's how.

March 29, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  152. John

BE has got to be one of my favorite all-time books. That being said, I was incredibly disappointed when I finally saw the movie. I have to agree with Shapiro. It didn't even come close to the mark.
    His mistake was (outside of collaborating with Scientologists) trying to make movie out of a 1,000+ page book. That's always a mistake. You are almost guaranteed to fall short because you just can't pack that kind of detail into a 2-3hr movie. Material like this is better covered in a mini-series through a medium like SYFY.

March 29, 2010 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  153. stepehn

Hey.
    Nice going! Eddie and the Crusiers got a second life! who know?

March 29, 2010 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  154. G

I'm a HUGE fan of the book, read it multiple times! But the movie SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 29, 2010 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  155. JC

Of course it was a horrible movie. It was an insanely stupid book. There literally were no compelling characters, so they would have needed to be created. L. Ron Hubbard never had any real talent outside his penchant for creating spur-of-the-moment religions. Now, take this useless piece of need-to-pay-the-bills fiction and add a screenplay writer with even less talent that the book's author, and you have a net loss for the movie's investors and for the reputation of the motion picture industry, in general. If I were you, Shapiro, I'd make a habit of staying quiet about what I did for a living. Pretend you work for Orange Julius or something; try that.

March 29, 2010 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  156. Marsden

Two words...The Village! Battlefield Earth? Didn't like it at all.

March 29, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  157. Doug Shiloh

Mr. Shapiro, you win some, you lose some. keep writing.

March 29, 2010 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  158. greenteagod

I paid to see it in the theater as well and this is so bad it borderlines cult classic bad. I've since watched it yearly, just to make sure I keep my rating system properly calibrated.

Bad movies get a rating of smelt bricks with the ultimate goal of being as bad as Battlefield Earth. I love this movie, really, that is not sarcasm.

March 29, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  159. cynomolge

I have seen far worse movies from this decade made on a much bigger budget.

March 29, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  160. moon627

I cant believe the twits who could mention "District 9" which is a great movie, in the same breath as BE – one of the worst movies of all time !

March 29, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  161. Daniel

of course it was bad, John Travolta was the star!!

March 29, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  162. Chinito

Not the worst movie ever, but close to it! I will watch it, but having read the book, I can fill in all the holes and silliness on the screen. Great book and recommended reading...

March 29, 2010 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  163. TM

Look if you guys really want to step up to the plate, find and watch "The Room" by Tommy Wiseau.

Seriously. It makes Battlefield Earth look like a Kurosawa film.

March 29, 2010 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  164. dm funk

'bad' is such a relative term. it seems 'beauty' is another & i do mean each in the original meaning/ in the usual way. if mr. shapiro wishes to apologize, please do. it's ok and accepted.

for what it's worth, i've seen some train wrecks under the guise of a movie, plots that were better served as a forest lawn PLOT and actors that should never forget or give up their day job. some times i get to see all three in one monumental collage. how lucky can i get? so, mr. shapiro, take heart. there's always something, somewhere, somehow 'badder', 'worser' than what you've done . i do hope you were paid well and that you spent it wisely so ... enjoy! life's way too short to have regrets.

March 29, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  165. tony

Lee Strasberg was definitely rolling over in his grave. I walked out on this movie, something I've never done before or since.

March 29, 2010 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  166. Julia

I avoided BE, but I can't imagine it is worse than The Happening. That might be the worst movie of the century.

March 29, 2010 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  167. bienvenido

It was, by far, the worst movie of all time.

March 29, 2010 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  168. tina

itwas terible i rented it on vhs i didnt like it at all

March 29, 2010 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  169. Doug Shiloh

Dear Mr. Shapiro,

You win some, you lose some.

March 29, 2010 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  170. Ericka

I thought this movie was completely ridiculous. Sure it's plausible for people to be able to fly fighter jets after having no contact with any technology in their life! I agree with some of the other movies in previous comments being bad too though. Van Helsing was terrible (and I love Hugh Jackman despite this poor choice).

March 29, 2010 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  171. corey

Maybe not the worst movie. But close. Especially considering the book was one of the best sci-fi I have ever read.

March 29, 2010 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  172. Matt

@ Rita....Exactly, who wants to see Precious. I mean I love to go to the cinema and leave feeling like I want to blow my head off and just drink until I pass out. The cinema is for entertainment that's why the socially responsible 'thinking' films that you like make no money. We live in this world, why would we want to pay and revisit it in a cinema.

March 29, 2010 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  173. AJ

It's all in how you define bad. If you define bad as "pretentious crap" you've got a huge selection of post-1980 Martin Scorsese films to choose from. I'm gonna go with Gangs of New York from that crop.

If bad = stupid, top honors to Freddy Got Fingered.
    If bad = silly, Battlefield Earth has a shot to take top honors.
    If bad = pointlessly offensive, step right up Knocked Up and all it's many knock-offs.
    If bad = bad, every Saw film ever made and any still to come.

District 9 is great ... after a pretty bad first 30 minutes.

March 29, 2010 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  174. Ed

Throw in the new Alice in Wonderland – Razzies for Depp, HBC, and Tim Burton. 3D doesn't save it, nor should it have to.

March 29, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  175. Ed

Autumn in New York was gawd-awful, as ws Solaris.

March 29, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  176. Roborob

Actually the reason why I was not fan of this movie is it is quit simply Travoltas worse performance ever. Utterly horrible. The story and the movie itself, ahh, well, yeah, actually quit boring if you ask me. I do agree though, the WORST film, no... catwoman as stated, Gili, Pluto Nash, the Pacifier, I just saw Wolfman with Benecio, utterly the worst film of 2010 and well, lame.. I could go on.. I mean, I would watch BE if I had to, the others I would rather go to the dentist..

March 29, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  177. Rigsby

I'm a movie freak. I will watch (almost) anything, however after about 15 minutes I pulled the plug on 'Men in Tights'. When Brooks worked with Gene Wilder, he made some of the funniest movies ever. I was wondering what happened to 'Men in Tights'. Now I know!!

March 29, 2010 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  178. RichardL

Worst movie of the decade, I'd have to say that's a stretch. The movie was horrible though. But even horrible movie's are worth watching, if not just for laughs. How do you think Uwe Bolle stays in business?

March 29, 2010 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  179. Mike

I'm with a lot of folks here . . . I actually liked this movie. Totally disagree with it being worst pick. Won't comment on Scientology, though.

March 29, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  180. gary

Anything Scientology related is trash to begin with. So no surprise there. I should watch out: Now I'll probably be stalked, sued, and threatened by their hoodlums for telling people Midichlorians are going to turn me to the dark side. Oh wait. That is Star Wars. I mean: Invisible alien spirits that were blown up by hydrogen bombs in volcanoes after they were transported to Earth on spaceships (not unlike DC-10's) attached to me are making me do bad things.

March 29, 2010 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  181. Nina

Omg where do I start... The Happening... The 13th Floor... Glitter... Booty Call... Pootie Tang.. Vanilla Sky... Touristas... Jeepers Creepers... Anything with "the Rock" in them when he's acting zesty as hell... I have more.. just can't think of them right now.. but I WILL BE BACK lol

March 29, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  182. adrifter

The movie Year One was worse. The scenes were interesting enough, but the movie needed – oh, I don't know – maybe a story to link the scenes together.
    Battlefield Earth was bad in an entertaining kind of way.

March 29, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  183. Robert

I remember Roger Ebert's review if this movie. "Unpleasant, In a hostile way." If you could filter out the dislike for Scientology, the reviews might be better, but without the Scientology connection, Travolta doesn't try to make the movie. In my opinion, a good book that was poorly adapted.

March 29, 2010 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  184. Jonny

Wow, do Scientologists have their gripe on Hollywoods balls or what!

March 29, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  185. rita

It is truly amazing what the general public considers good. The Academy Awards are full of great nominated movies each year that not many Americans have seen. This is because they prefer shoot em up movies with car crashes and huge explosions. The dumbing down of America has its roots in Hollywood. Timely movies with a message, like, "A Single Man", "Good Night and Good Luck" require thinking and that is in short supply. When the director of "Precious" was looking for distributors, most of Hollywood balked. Who wants to see a poverty stricken, illiterate and obese black teenager with a down syndrome child. Who wants to see her also suffering from physical abuse and incest abuse? This kind of movie requires us to think about real social issues affecting real people. We would prefer to escape at all times and watch a pretty fireball explosion.

March 29, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  186. Paul

I haven't seen "Battlefield Earth," but I did give up 85 minutes of my life watching "Meet the Spartans" on cable a few months back. I laughed exactly once, and that was during the cut scenes running under the end credits.
    Is "Battlefield" worse than "Spartans?"

It's interesting that the article mentions Shapiro's work on "Robin Hood: Men in Tights." That one, I paid money to see. I thought there was a decent hour-long TV special in there (i.e., about 45 minutes of good material). Unfortunately, the movie was 104 minutes long...

March 29, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  187. mystrk

Has anyone on here seen "Dragon Wars"...talk about the worst movie of all time...ech!

March 29, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  188. Pete

Matt Damon

March 29, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  189. chuck

I came in during the middle of the movie. Not a good time to enter I know, but after 5 minutes, it really was the screenplay – the words to be memorized and repeated by actors that made me get up and leave. After only 5 minutes I understand the award for worst movie. Now that is bad.

March 29, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  190. OlderNWiser

Freddy got Fingered is much worst overall. Never let anyway who has drank more than you pick what movie you are going to see.

War of Worlds (Tom Cruise version) is close to Battlefield and was worth watching after the first 15-25 minutes

March 29, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  191. Jeff

I thought Battlefield Earth was a terrible movie. Another Travolta movie that was awful "Moment by Moment" – that movie was so bad it's never been released on any video format.

March 29, 2010 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  192. RichG

Thomas, you must have the worst taste in movies. This movie sucked more than a black hole.

March 29, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  193. THOMAS

Stop apologizing. This was a good movie. It was far superior to The Hurt Locker. The Razis and the Oscars are voted on by a bunch of idtiots.

March 29, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  194. idle american

Gigli wins out. Followed by the Notebook

March 29, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  195. PDXSerric

Ouch... well, at least he's honest. Now, if we could only get L Ron Hubbard to apologize for the whole 'Scientology' thing...

March 29, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  196. RichG

Yes, this movie was really, really bad. Almost as bad as Twilight. I think a video of an insurance seminar would have been more entertaining.

March 29, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  197. Will

Pretty much any movie with Ben Affleck is worse than Battlefield Earth.

March 29, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  198. Leon

Kung Pow!: Enter the Fist...absolute garbage.

March 29, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  199. kathy krumm

to monkey: YES!!! manos is the worst movie ever made, far beyond even ed wood movies! but this decade, i dunno. they all look so bad in the promos on tv, i never bother to go see them. i wouldn't even know if there were a GOOD movie out these days. i watched blindside and didn't think it was that good. not bad, but not good. even sandra (bless her heart) wasn't that great in it.

March 29, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  200. Walrusgajoob!

The worst movie of the decade had to be Van Helsing. I honestly couldn't believe what I was watching. I was angry. Just. Plain. Angry. Angry that the hundreds of thousands of great scripts written every year get ignored while we produce this dreck. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen wasn't far behind.

March 29, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  201. Nikki

My nephew and I watched this movie about a month ago on demand. We found it compelling, engaging and entertaining. I also thought it had some good messages about leadership, confidence and the pitfalls of greed. Don't be so hard on yourself.

March 29, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  202. Sam

Sorry people, the worst movie ever was "Alone in the Dark". "Battlefield Earth" was bad (appallingly bad) but it looks like a work of pure genius next to "Alone in the Dark". The Internet Movie Database actually lists as a Frequently Asked Question about the movie (and I am not kidding) "Who would curse humanity with this abomination?" When THAT is a FAQ...

March 29, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  203. wpeck

What...are you all members of Scientology??? This was definitely the worst movie of the decade. Travolta was horrible, the story line was horrible, and the costumes...simply ridiculous. The book was not bad, but the transfer to the screen was just a mistake in all aspects.

March 29, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  204. Slickdaddy

And to Ripe Bananas . Napolian Dynomite was an AWESOME movie. But i will agree with i was not impressed the first time i watched it but when i did the 2nd time i had a different mindset going in and laughed the whole way through.

March 29, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  205. Guy B.

Ya District 9 is very bad, I've tried 8 times to watch it, I can't seem to get past the first 30 mintues, I should of just taken the money out of my wallet and burned it over that movie.
    Also, good thing John is a pilot, with the boots they had to wear, he reminded me of someone from KISS lol.

March 29, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  206. hoosier

To Leslie:

Nope; that's the wife first thing in the morning (wink)

March 29, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  207. Slickdaddy

I Think District 9 was worse then Battlefield Earth. Maybe i should watch it again just to be sure.

March 29, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  208. Chris

Where's the original script? That I would like to see.

March 29, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  209. bbb

I have never seen this movie but i will watch it now just to see what all the talk is about. Also the WORST MOVIE EVER is kung pow fist of fu

March 29, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  210. Susan

Wow, I've never seen this many people (or anyone) defend Battlefield Earth before! :) Who knew it only took John Travolta in weird nose jewelry to bring about positivity on the internet...

March 29, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  211. Guy B.

When you take a book of 1066 pages and turn it into a 2 or so hr long movie something must be left out, to me all of it was left out. BFE should of been a aniamated movie and not just one, I think it could of been a 3 or 4 movie deal maybe more.
    For the times and for the budget we get what we get, so saying that, someone get it right and make this movie the way it should be.

March 29, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  212. iqb

it wasnt THAT bad

March 29, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  213. redbluegreen

Is that a nasal strip on his nose?

March 29, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  214. Ripe Bananas

I watched the "Battlefield Earth" movie once on HBO. I would watch it again if I was forced into a straight-jacket like Clockwork-Orange.

Worst Movies Ever:
    Borat & Bruno
    Nocho Libre
    Napolian Dynomite
    Alexander
    Greese
    10,000 BC
    Any Madonna Movie
    Clockwork-Orange

Best Sci-Fi Movies ever:
    Star Wars 4, 5, 6 (old-school)
    Matrix I

March 29, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  215. jfromdetroit

FINALLY...An apology!! Now, if the Irish would just send theirs for Riverdance...

March 29, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  216. Chris Knight

I'm sorry...WHAT??? This is by far NOT the worst movie of the decade. It sucks, but if anyone thinks this, then you have not done your homework. There's many I can say were worse. Probably too many. How about "The Box"? That's easily more worse that BE, but not the worst either. How about "The Sasquatch Gang"? Ignorant movie! There are so many more. This is definitely being picked on the most, because it was based on an L. Ron Hubbard novel. I live in the capital of Scientology, but I'm not one of them and I will never join them. I've worked with them, and I think they're very peculiar individuals, but quit saying this is the worst movie EVER. That's a BOLD statement.

March 29, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  217. Ander

I find it hilarious how, according to these comments, the movie was actually decent. BUNCHA SCIENTOLOGISTS IN HERE!

Go hubbard go hubbard blow!

March 29, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  218. richp the poconos

I cannot call it the worst, it was OK, it was not offensive, had no social revelations, corny perhaps, nothing like the book but I have seen far worse. It's one of those 'I'd like to find in the $9 rack at target' movies.
    I actually thought it was kind of humorous but then I have read all LRH books.

March 29, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  219. Xanatos

Saw the movie on DVD. True it was bad. But not deserving of the worst movie of the decade. ANY movie with Rob Schnider in it is MUCH, MUCH, worse the Battlefield Earth. The people responsible for those horrilble movies are the people who really need to apoligize to the public....(ADAM SANDLER). The people responsible for those Nicholas Cage disasters should apologize too. So this guy should cut himself some slack, unless he was responsible for "Duce Bigalow".

March 29, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  220. Mike

@ leftcoastblue. The MST3K guys did get a hold of it, but as RiffTrax

March 29, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  221. Marcus L

Why is he apologizing? L. Ron Hubbard wrote the thing.

March 29, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  222. JMar

What about Solar Babies? That's a close runner up...

March 29, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  223. Soundwave

Still think DOOM beats Battlefield Earth for the worst movie of the decade. Yes lets create a movie based off the that game DOOM, where there is little story to draw from and it is really just a first person shooter. Then lets make sure the Rock is in it to draw those academy awards our way. Ha!

March 29, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  224. j. russell

worst movie, maybe? worst costumes, most definitely.

March 29, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  225. Steve

Yes, definitely worst movie ever, and I loved the book read it twice as a teen.
    Tropic Thunder is my #2 worst movie ever.
    There are low budget movies that are really bad, but for movies with 'stars" and big budgets, these two are stinkers!

March 29, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  226. Aaron

you guys should check out JD's next film: http://www.524ad.com !

March 29, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  227. Lindsay

This is a great movie. I love Barry Pepper!

March 29, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  228. Hitesh

I don't care what anybody says. I very much enjoyed this movie and have seen it several times. I admitt it starts off slow but the last half hour is non-stop thrill ride.

March 29, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  229. Ricky619

it wasn't that bad. I have seen worse

March 29, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  230. leftcoastblue

Ah, yes, a great film!

Who am I kidding? I just wish the genii at Best Brains would have been able to get the rights to it for MST3K. The CoS wouldn't let them near it, I'm sure.

March 29, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  231. Bruce Banner

So did JD Shapiro become a scientologist, or is he intelligent

March 29, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  232. wes

i like the movie. one of those classic best/worst movies.

March 29, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  233. Aaron G.

As a teenager (14 at the time) and having watched Pulp Fiction, I was excited to see him in another movie. This was so hard to watch and wondered at the time.... "What were they thinking??" But at that time I was ignorant of the roots and design behind the movie and now that I am older and had it come out today, I would not be suprised that it's that bad!

March 29, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  234. dal

Not the best, but not the worst sci-fi feature. To be honest , I own the DVD and I like it.

March 29, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  235. tom

Yes. I agree completely. I went to the movies when this came out, thinking it was going to be a great sci-fi movie. nope. What i got was the longest couple hours of my life. Non-sensical to say the least. there were a few parts of the movie where i was completely lost.

March 29, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  236. Chris

Sorry Monkey, but Monster A-Go-Go is teh worst movie ever made...

March 29, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  237. Denizen Kate, San Jose

I admit to having read L. Ron Hubbard's book, but I didn't see the movie until it played on TV. I had been warned by friends whose opinions I respect, and they weren't wrong: it was really bad. I love science fiction, and this movie gives the genre a bad name.

March 29, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  238. monkey

Apology accepted Shapiro – Battlefield earth is only number 2 on my list – Watch "Manos: The Hands of Fate" if you'd like to see the worst film ever.

March 29, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  239. Dianne

I can't believe anyone would defend this movie. It is possibly the worst movie that was ever made. I was quite excited to go see it at the theatre and within 20 minutes my mouth was hanging open at just how bad it really was. Sure didn't do anything to improve my view of scientology either..Bad, bad, stinky, smelly, bad.
    I felt sorry for Barry Pepper who must have been so excited to work with Travolta and then unwittingly put himself in one of the biggest crappers ever made. Nice of Shapiro to apologize.

March 29, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  240. Jared

I think Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever should have won this. Battlefield got 2% on Rotten Tomatoes (3 good, 118 bad), but Ballistic got ZERO percent out of 107 reviews. Not one critic liked the movie...

I haven't seen B.E. but I watched Ballistic on television one time when I was bored, and god....that was the biggest piece of trash I have ever seen in my life. I don't know how B.E. could be worse than that.

March 29, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  241. naledi1977

I agree its not the worst movie of the last decade. Though I think John Travolta is in the worst movie ever made. Old Dogs was by far the worst movie I have ever seen and I have seen a lot of really bad movies!!

March 29, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  242. Lan

I agree and Shapiro – I accept your apology.
    It is the worst movie of the decade. I was one who actually spent money to see it in the theater. Within the first thirty minutes, I could tell the movie was crap and wanted to leave the theater then. The only thing that kept me in my seat was the fact that I had spent my hard earned money so made myself stay and suffer through the rest of it.

March 29, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  243. Jay

I never understood peoples problem with this movie, I loved it. I've seen it about 5 times over the years. Like if you're a sci-fi freak then hey sci-fi is sci-fi.

March 29, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  244. David Hicks

I agree, no one ever sets out to deliberately make a train wreck of a movie. I am an avid sci-fi fan, and after seeing "Battlefield Earth" and its high-profile cast of actors, I can honestly say that I was entertained. Yes, it could have been better, but it was entertaining and that's what the movie business is all about isn't it? Forgive my naivety, but at least that's what I think. Maybe it didn't turn out the way Shapiro wanted, but he can stop kicking himself because he can rest easy there are a lot of people like me that got what the intention was.

March 29, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  245. Jay

I saw this movie in the theater after having read the book.

While not the best movie I've ever seen, it is hardly the worst of the decade.

I would've liked to see the movie last about 30 minutes longer and actually include the "ending" the book had. But it wasn't terrible, and stayed reasonably close to the book

This is still good just to see Travolta playing a bad guy (which I enjoy much more than when he is playing the protagonist)

March 29, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  246. Dan

Not the worst movie... but watching it felt that it 'could have been' so much more. Mr. Shapiro... please post the script one day. That would be an interesting read.

March 29, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  247. Dave H

I agree, not a BAD movie but not great. I as well thought it was entertaining as well. I tend to agree that Catwoman should have taken the award, but again seeing her half naked half the movie is mostly likely why it didn’t win the worst award. It would be nice to see this movie done again the right way.

March 29, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  248. Jody

HHmmm, worst movie of the decade..really??? I know I've seen worse. I actually enjoyed this movie. I didn't love it, but I have seen it a few times and quite enjoy seeing it. Catwoman? now that was the worst 'hollywood" movie of the decade

March 29, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  249. Melinda

yes thats John Travolta. Forrest Whittaker is also in it. I saw it once and when its on tv ill stop channel surfing and watch it. i dont own it, but its not THAT bad. its not the greatest...but its not THAT bad.

March 29, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  250. Teene

I think he is being a little harsh. Though it got a bad rating doesn't necessarily mean is wasn't entertaining. Yes, it's not the best movie made but even bad movies get better ratings they shouldn't, such as "A Serious Man." Any who, didn't think it was the greatest movie but the idea was interesting and it entertained me. :-)
    Not a total loss!

March 29, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  251. Leslie

Is this a picture of John Travolta?

March 29, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |