March 29th, 2010

'Idol' voting via Facebook

testing captions
testing captions

It was only a matter of time before “American Idol” voting met social networking.

Mashable is reporting that Idol Fanatic has come up with a way to allow the show’s fans to vote via Facebook.

Using  a special programmable communications network, participants would have five votes to use each week with the ability to earn more for each Facebook friend they invite.

Currently, fans can call in or text their votes for their favorite "American Idol" contestants.

No word yet on whether “Idol” or Fox network, which closely guards all things connected to the show, is going to allow the app to be used.

1. keith

whew...wow that was close. Another black "american idol" contestant was voted off. Has anyone wondered why that happens year after year after year for about 6 years? We should call it white american idol because it is very clear that you must be white to win.

April 1, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  2. mark

Who cares?

April 1, 2010 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  3. AIdol10

I love your voting blog. I like watching them perform but hate the voting. Only request is you put your time stamp in order. I read that Didi was out before I could read the rest!!

April 1, 2010 at 2:53 am | Report abuse |
  4. Edwin

Is this show still on? Who watches?

April 1, 2010 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  5. Idol Fanatic

Thank you to Lisa and CNN for the coverage. We hope fans enjoy the application. For anyone interested, the site is http://facebook.com/idolfanatic

Enjoy!

Team Idol Fanatic

April 1, 2010 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  6. Ex Fan

I get all excited when the show starts and I hear the intro for the program, but then reality sets in and I am quickly reminded why I don't want to watch this year. Everyone is borning and it seems there is no "star" personality amongst any contestant.

March 31, 2010 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Lil C

YOU HERE JOYCE TALK TO ME! TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF!

March 31, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sency

How do you vote for IDOL? I can never figure it out!

March 31, 2010 at 4:23 am | Report abuse |
  9. Sherri

Show Dog Mom...I don't happen to think that they're boring. So I have nothing to 'suck up.' As Simon would say..."Sorry!"

March 31, 2010 at 2:40 am | Report abuse |
  10. Adessa

I am very disappointed in the voting system on 30 March 2010. I tried to vote for Big Mike, and could not, the number connected to a Teresa. Burgess a Notary Republic. This isn't fair, isn't life suppose to be fair to all people why did someone put a bad number for Big Mike not to be able to receive votes. I will not waste my time with such an unjust symptom of voting. I don't think I will every promote this program if something isn't done about this and Big Mike doesn't receive his proper votes like everyone else.

March 30, 2010 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Tom

I still don't get why Ellen is there. Who would REALLY pay attention to her meaningless critiques??

March 30, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Harley Man

This season it's all Bowersox. That is all, carry on.

March 30, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  13. MS

For those of you who agree with Elvis'Pelvis, don't watch the show if you don't like it. Other people do like it. No one is forcing you to participate in an Idol conversation or voting...

March 30, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Lil C

Hey Joyce tell me about yourself I'll do the same later! talk back.....

March 30, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Paul

Funny how Kris Allen's song is all over the radio & the over-hyped runner-up Glambert has yet to come up with a hit record even tho his label has released FOUR songs already! Just goes to show you what happens when the producers try to shove a "chosen one" down the public's throat. They wanted Ruben Studdard to be a star, yet Clay Aiken eclipsed him in every way because of public support. This show always picks a winner, but sometimes the viewers have the last laugh.

March 30, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Jim

Miley Cyrus would certainly be an inspiration to anyone weak of mind, and/or lackiing vocal or instrumental prowess..

March 30, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Darlene

They need to take this show off especially since Simon is leaving. Randy gets on my nerve with all that sighing and taking deep breaths and letting it out. Ellen smiles too much to be taken seriously as a judge. Kara is a Paula want to be.

March 30, 2010 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  18. Joyce

Yes,,,,,,,,,,! Finally!

March 30, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  19. Lil C

YOU WANT TO TALK HERE?

March 30, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  20. Jim

All this over a silly (and bad) television show? Try going out and supporting LIVE music for a change, instead of watching a bunch of hand-picked head shots and human microphone holders on a glitzy stage, pandering to the high criteria of a panel of mouthy, boorish judges, and a world full of untalented, unmotivated couch-critics and "texters," most of which can't even spell.

I'm guessing that if most of you were forced to walk or drive to the nearest "Idle voting poll" to place your silly vote, you wouldn't even bother watching the show. Why don't you try texting your congressmen sometime? (not on Tuesday or Wednesday evenings, of course.) And yes, I did spell "Idle" properly.

March 30, 2010 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  21. db

There's really nothing Fox/AI can do about this app. It uses ribbit.com's API to make the phone calls and sets the callerid to the users telephone number, so the call is as if it is made from the user's landline or mobile. Pretty cool stuff. Looks like anyone can download the Java/PHP/JavaScript/etc SDKs from developer.ribbit.com and create an app like this yourself.

March 30, 2010 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  22. Tiredocrap

What's his name has a couple hits. Adam – nothing worth listening to yet.

March 30, 2010 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  23. show dog mom

It's called "American Idol" because the contestants are voted in (or out) by Americans. Allowing voting via the Internet would render this concept null and void, would it not?
    It's a dumb idea.

FWIW: Not a single one of these contestants are fit to shine Adam Lambert's shoes. But, hey, America; YOU asked for "bland and boring" when you chose what's-his-name last year. The Idol hierarchy thinks this is what you WANT! So, suck it up and quit whining already!

March 30, 2010 at 7:28 am | Report abuse |
  24. Jasonm182

It doesn't matter. American Idol is rigged. They have already decided who the winner is.

March 30, 2010 at 7:07 am | Report abuse |
  25. Nicole

Gee nobody will hack this and spam it...NAH never would happen to something on the INTERNET. i think its not a bad idea but they will have to really secure it and i dont see it being brought to the idol voting system anytime soon until they know its full proof.

March 29, 2010 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Michael

People all over the world could vote without having seen the show!

March 29, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Troyzkoi

Elvis Pelvis said it

March 29, 2010 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  28. perplexed

why not a world idol....lol....let everyone in and everyone vote....no age restrictions on entry. as for Judges: simon cowell , aretha franklin (a true diva) and debbie allen or other real seasoned professional musicians. or how about a celebrity idol where actors/actresses with NO musical background compete...that could be very funny and entertaining

March 29, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Roscoe

I'm with Elvis Pelvis on this one three

March 29, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  30. mushymushroom

Oh if I may correct my statement, my first sentence should have been...

"Who cares? Alex Lambert didn't even got in for the top 12...I don't have anyone to vote for."

March 29, 2010 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  31. mushymushroom

Who cares? Alex Lambert didn't even got in for the top 24...I don't have anyone to vote for.

The whole thing has become a joke starting with Miley as a mentor. Like seriously; Miley was a mentor for aspiring record artists. Unbelievable.

March 29, 2010 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Aurellia

I'm with Elvis'Pelvis on this one too.

March 29, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  33. K.B.

I'm with Elvis'Pelvis on this one

March 29, 2010 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Elvis'Pelvis

Is there a "Vote this crap off TV" option?

March 29, 2010 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  35. DaisyButtM

if this becomes an option, at least overseas military can vote for once!

March 29, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  36. canadian

you know it would be bloody fantastic if canadians could vote to....after all we also fund their careers by purchasing the cd's....

March 29, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Brent

I would love this – I always comment to my wife that I refuse to sit on the couch like a tool pressing redial over and over until I get in to vote for people, and WISH they would allow people to vote online. If they did this, then I would definitely vote. Even better, I wish Idol would implement a NEGATIVE vote; that is, allow me to vote for the one person that I don't want to see go through; my vote for such a person would subtract one from his / her vote total. But back on point, voting on Facebook would be a big step in the right direction.

March 29, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  38. will

Personally, even though Simon has already decided to leave, I believe for the ratings, Idol needs to get rid of Randy and Kara, but don't bring back Paula, she needs to move on.

March 29, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Marnie

Who cares about American Idol anymore. The show is boring this season and without Simon will be a much bigger bore.

March 29, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Kathy

Someone will figure out how to mess this up too and the end result will be another lack luster Idol winner that should not have won.

March 29, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Jay

Great idea! I think Fox would love the opportunity to tap into the Facebook community of 400 million..

March 29, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  42. lil c

wts up this ya boi lil c

March 29, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  43. trill

say anybody here

March 29, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Bill

Considering the people who own American Idol also own Myspace, I bet they won't like it much...same goes for AT&T.

March 29, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |