March 26th, 2010

20 doctors subpoenaed in Corey Haim death probe

testing captions
testing captions

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) - The Los Angeles County coroner's office has subpoenaed medical records from 20 doctors in its investigation into actor Corey Haim's death, a coroner investigator said.

Haim, who died earlier this month, obtained drugs using prescriptions written under the names of these doctors in the past year, Los Angeles County Deputy Coroner Ed Winter told CNN Friday.

California drug investigators found evidence that Haim, who fought a decades-long battle with drug abuse, used at least one fake prescription to obtain a narcotic in the months before he died, Attorney General Jerry Brown said last week.

The coroner is waiting for toxicology results before deciding if drugs were involved in the death of the 1980s teen movie actor, Winter said. Those test results are several weeks away, Winter said.

1. signs ex girlfriend wants you back

Thanks for any other fantastic post. The place else could anyone get that type of info in such an ideal means of writing? I've a presentation subsequent week, and I am at the search for such info.

August 22, 2011 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  2. Round Kitchen

i am interersted to get a physical therapy course because it seems like a good job ;';

November 17, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Di

Toxicology reports have not yet been completed. You are making statments that as of yet, have no basis in fact. Yes, he was an addict and if that addiction is what killed him... well he must be accountable for his own actions. He was an adult and made choices but to play this guessing game does no one any good.

March 29, 2010 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  4. haha

i thought he died in the 80's

March 29, 2010 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  5. mr.muncheez

I forgot to add that my MRI's showed that I have 2 bulging disks in my cervical spine, 1 disk bulge in my lumbar spine and severe arthritis...70-80% of my vertabrae have osteophyte build-up. Sharp pain and muscle spasms S U C K!!!

March 29, 2010 at 4:42 am | Report abuse |
  6. mr.muncheez

For those of you that have never experienced opiate withdrawl really have no place to make disparaging remarks. I have suffered from chronic back pain for the last 3 years, been going religiously to physical therapy over the last year. Even when I am not having pain at that moment, if too much time passes the depleted feeling starts, push it off futher and the withdrawls will make you want to jump out of your skin!!! I will take it even when not having pain. Now I admit, it wasn't always this way. It starts out just needing 2 or 3 pills, then your body becomes used to them and you need more and more just to relieve the pain and feel somewhat normal. Listen, I don't point fingers or throw stones at glasshouses. I like the feeling of my OC's, Roxi's & Vik's they are terrific. My valium at night makes a world of difference when it comes to getting restful sleep...life is better and I am going to have a helluva time when it's all over. I am up to 90 mg's a day of oxy (extended and immediate release) and get 90 7.5mg Vicodins a month as well. I am hoping that something will be available to me to help get me off of this stuff. But addiction is a slow gradual process, sometimes by a choice and other times it happens when you least expect it or want it. Addiction is not black and white, people become addicted for all different reasons.

March 29, 2010 at 4:26 am | Report abuse |
  7. KC

Fact: he was an addict and would have obtained drugs anyway he could

Fact: Drs are human, there's bad apples in every bunch no matter how much schooling you have

Fact: there MUST be a better way to spend our resources than persuing this via court. He dead, he was the cause, let's focus on the living and those that CHOOSE to live.

March 29, 2010 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  8. Lance Coardill

Here was a marginal actor who was extremely torubled and needed help. Rather than address the underlying disease, he doctor shopped and found 20 or so quacks to provide him whatever it was he wanted or needed. It's sickening. Hippocratic oath be damned, I wonder how, whether somedoy like this dies or not, this type of phenomena goes undetected and unaddressed. May Corey Haim rest in peace, the very peace that seemed to elude him during life, and may the 20 or so quacks who supplied his insatiable desire for bottle based solutions lose their DEA controlled substance licenses if not their privileges to ever again practice medicine in all its branches.

March 28, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  9. Sharon M.

It seems to me that white males are able to get anything they want from physicians, in the way of meds. At least, every single white male I know has been able to get any drug they asked for from their doctors.

Me ... I'm a white female, which must've automatically put me in the category of drug addict or liar or emotionally or mentally screwed up, at least in most doctor's minds. Because, following a horrific car accident in 1996, after the 1st few weeks, doctors refused to give me pain meds. I suffered severe pain for over 10 years, before I could convince a doctor (after 3 office visits) to simply write an order for an MRI, so I could be accepted as a pain management patient. Then, all I could get was hydrocodone with acetaminophen (with a known lesion on my liver) and a half dozen extremely painful muscular steroid injections. When I moved to another area, I shopped several local doctors, until I found one who would actually help me, and put me on a low dose of Oxycodone. It's very expensive to pee in a cup every month to prove I'm not using too much, or taking/smoking anything I shouldn't. And, this low dosage doesn't relieve my pain. But, at least it's closer, and I pray for death every single day, so I won't have to live any longer with this pain from my neck to my feet. How is it that abuse of Rx pain meds is so prevalent, when I, with several legitimate sources of spinal related pain, couldn't get any help for so many years?

March 26, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Matt

DC Insider, I agree that the US military should not be policing poppy fields. That's not what we're over there to do, besides there are many poor farmers that depend on their poppy crop for survival. The mob makes money from magazine sales, do you think the military should help police magazine sales as well?

March 26, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  11. GhostRider

Please get your facts straight. Note that the article says "Used a FAKE prescription"; There is evidence that Haim was involved in a COUNTERFEIT Prescription pad ring–meaning that the reason the coroner's office needs the doctors records is because HE WAS NOT GETTING LEGAL PRESCRIPTIONS. Coroner and investigators need to delineate what was legal and what was faked.

Some Patients lie every day to get controlled prescriptions that CAN be used legitimately, but they CHOOSE not use them as prescribed. It is up to the individual person to do what is responsible.

March 26, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. BobbySox

He went to 20 Doctors on his own to get all these prescriptions. Don't blame the Doctors (or the Tea Baggers, or the President) Where were his friends and family? Maybe they helped as much as they could. The problem was his own addiction.

March 26, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  13. siranda

In my state a program is in place where pharmacies, ER doctors, any doctor for that matter can cross check a patient's prescriptions if they
    are suspicious. By social security number they can see how many, and what pharmacies have filled what drugs for a person. They can also see what doctors prescribed these prescriptions. Failure to give a correct social security number results in no prescriptions. Doctors and pharmacies are liable if they mis-prescribe for patients. Unfortunately because of all the celebrity deaths, doctors are hesitant to prescribe controlled substances which leaves those with serious, chronic pain without relief.

March 26, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Ihat8bobb

So now they're trying to BLAME the doctors for this man's suicide??? He killed himself, why is that someone elses fault???

March 26, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Bobby G

I agree 20 doctors giving out scripts without disregard = Tea Party idiots spouting their filth without regard.

March 26, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  16. JHL

C'mon folks, he was a drug addict who died of a self-inflicted overdose.

Happens a lot every day: Haim just had more resources than most junkies and dodged the inevitable bullet for a longer time.

But ultimately he was a drug addict who died of an overdose.

RIP

March 26, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Frank Mondana

It's all Obama's fault!

There, I beat the Republican's to the punch.

March 26, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  18. The Pups Mom

This was all the fault of Corey, he is the one who took the drugs and became the addict, to bad the NA did not help him if he ever went, he was a lost soul looking for a way out and he found it, this is not the Dcotors Fault, he would have found the drugs on the street. Once and addict always an addict , God bless his soul.

March 26, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Joe

This is exactly why Marijuana needs to be legalized. It is unconstitutional that the alcohol companies have a monopoly on the recreational drug business.

March 26, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  20. sandy

From my experience, a lot of doctors are basically drug dealers in a white coat with a license and prescription to maim. I fault some doctors who do not WARN their patients of the side effects and severe withdrawal symptoms that in my case, took 3 years in Hell to reach a 90% recovery. Don't be stupid. You should research each prescription thoroughly before you fill it or take it. Valium, Klonopin, Xanax and Ativan are VERY dangerous.

March 26, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  21. jonesey

"D.C. Insider" This is a typical statement coming from a brainwashed sheep that believes everything is the liberal (left) side's fault. However, Haim was addicted long before Obama was ever heard of, so now that we have an "intelligent " and "Educated" man as president he will be blamed for everything that happened during the last century. This is not supposed to be a Politcal Forum. Haim was a poor, sad man who never grew up. What's your excuse?

March 26, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  22. SuzyQ0204

Corey Haim's death was tragic and it is unknown whether an overdose caused his immediate death. It could be true that many years of drug abuse lead to his death or it could be a illness. To make political statements or assumptions about his death is not right... His death had nothing to do with anyone else but himself. He had his demons and he could not overcome them. I will cherish the movies I enjoyed watching as a teen and share them with my own children. I actually cried when Corey Haim died for he had more of an impact on me than Michael Jackson ever did. I hope he can be free now and be in peace. I will honor his life and morn his death. RIP Corey and know there were people who cared

March 26, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Tom

This guy is one of the addicted drug abusers in the history. One article states that he took up to 85 tablets of Vicodin a day. One again, a day. The maximum dose is 8 tablets a day for healthy adult.

March 26, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  24. UNREAL...

Many of your RNs and Docs steal their own drugs from pyxiss drug machines in hospitals on a DAILY, if not HOURLY basis and ABUSE THEM TOO!! You know how you can see the guilt?? THEY REFUSE A DRUG TEST. Not so "nightingale" of you all, after all. what what you call that kettle, you PILL POPPERS.

March 26, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Facts

(AFP) – Mar 3, 2010
    KABUL — Afghanistan, source of 90 percent of the world's heroin, Wednesday announced plans to wipe out opium poppies across most of the country, starting in the south where the Taliban have long held sway.
    But areas where military operations are underway - such as Marjah in Helmand province - would not be targeted until the rebels had been pushed out and development programmes launched, said deputy interior minister Mohammad Daud Daud.
    Eradication had begun in other parts of Helmand, scene of a major assault against militants who for years controlled Marjah along with drug traffickers, Daud told reporters.
    Daud said the campaign was in three stages - public awareness, prevention of cultivation and, finally, eradication, with farmers offered help in planting alternative crops, including cereals.
    The announcement comes after the United States said it was shifting its anti-opium strategy in Afghanistan from eradication of crops to a broader focus involving interdiction and alternative agriculture.

March 26, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Ken

Corey Haim is the Caylee Anthony's daddy!!!

March 26, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  27. jsilver2th

There they go again-

Can you imagine getting the government in between a patient and his Doctor(s)?

Doesn't Jerry Brown believe in America?

March 26, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  28. tired american

so this guy haim was richer than pedo jackson? must be, he had more doctors on the payroll than the Mayo clinic

March 26, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Whose that dude in the background flipping off?

What a bunch of wacky comments to this story. I cannot believe how the fear-mongering and hate speech has entered into every part of any public debate. You guys seriously need to get a job or a hobby, or maybe take up recreational drugs. Seriously!!

March 26, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Kat

That's right politics have nada to do with this. Some people are very paranoid and uninformed, guess we'll just ignore them and stick to the topic. I think that Dr.s should be investigated but it is not their fault for the death IF he had 20 Dr.s. Why do we always have to find someone to blame for a drug addict's death. They don't follow him around and make sure he's not getting drugs elsewhere. In the end, he was the one putting them down his gullet!!!

March 26, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  31. EasyNow

I blame GM and getting their bailout money!
    Everyone Blame American Automakers GOGO

March 26, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  32. KristenL

This is becoming such a sad trend. Whether or not the dr's were involved, Corey had an addiction that he could not beat. I do hope to hear the toxicology results prove he wasn't using any drugs at the time.

March 26, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  33. David

You seem to forget that Rush Limbaugh was doing this very same thing a few years ago, and probably still is. He got away with it because he cried politcal persecution.

March 26, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Marj

It was bound to happen eventually since he had a problem with drugs abuse. it is sad that these drugs are so easy to obtain, and I agree these doctors to the stars are nothing more than drug dealers. And how it is Bush's fault that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Let's blame Obama for the next three years of drug induced deaths. There should be more regulation on the addivtive drugs given to people...PERIOD!!!! No matter who they are and what their problem is. There are databases for everything else in the world, doctors should have to register that information so other doctors know if their patient is already receiving that addivtive medication. But this is only a database for doctors to view, because after all it is confidential information....and at the same time it is only for addictive drugs.

March 26, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Manny HM

I'm wondering if a policy or law can be passed wherein narcotics or any drug with street value should be prescribed with the involvement of the police. This means that a copy of the prescription should be given to the police or sheriff. The police will then know which doctor and which person are prescribing and getting this particular narcotic.
    The physician here is in a no-win situation. He or she has to provide pain relief or anxiety relief and there's really no way that pain and anxiety can be measured except what the patient tells you. Some physician I know just don't prescribed these drugs with street value however they are not really giving the humanitarian service of alleviating those who are truly in pain.

March 26, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Grace

The problem is addiction. The enemy is the disease, not the people who have it, or the people who unwittingly contribute to it, but the disease itself. We won't effectively deal with this problem until we stop pointing fingers and placing blame, and start bringing constructive action to remedy this problem at all levels – community, family, and individual. People who suffer from addiction need treatment, not punishment, and people who profit from the addictions of others by selling them dangerous drugs are acting purely out of greed and should be punished. Fortunately most doctors aren't like that – they prescribe cautiously. That's why one addict will have prescriptions from so many doctors. People need to wake up to the fact that addiction is a potentially fatal illness, not a moral weakness. Morality only comes in to play when people are willing to contribute the the harming of another person for reasons of self-interest and greed. This is the common theme of all our big societal problems, and the answer isn't to bring more judgement and hate. or to become apathetic, but to make serious efforts to tackle this problem with wisdom and compassion (and to put our money where our big mouths are).

March 26, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  37. lsychan

electronic health records system might help prevent some of similar cases from happening.

March 26, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  38. DougB

Absolutely, the consumer is, or should be, ultimately responsible for the things he puts down his throat.

There are ways to fix this, but most involve invasion of privacy issues, such as creating a national registry for prescriptions. In such a system the doctors would look up whats been prescribed already and then amend / add to the existing drug treatments and specifying a pharmacy perhaps to fulfill the prescription. I like the idea but it gets into a lot of hipaa issues Im sure.

Its simplest to leave the responsibility in the drug taker's hands, the only exception being a situation where the taker is not in control, such as unconscious or otherwise unable to control the dosage themselves.

This Haim thing is not a tragedy of the medical system, its just a tragedy that he was an addict and failed to get / stay clean. Addicts will find a way to satisfy the addiction, always.

March 26, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  39. joie

back in the 70's i had 7 doctors a month :)

March 26, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Bella Marie

"Sandra"
    Amen. That was ignorant "Dr. C". Obamacare? COMPLETELY irrelevant. Nice hot shot.

March 26, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Head Diva In Charge

Again, a regular person can't get a bunch of drugs, but a celebrity – they have a pharmacy at their finger tips!

March 26, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  42. alan

Clearly the struggles this troubled young man experienced can only be the responsibility of Bush and congressional Republicans. Oh, and Cheney and Rumsfeld as well. Were it not for the economic decline spawned on their watch, undoubtedly this young man would have seen a better future and not turned to drugs.

March 26, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Kathi

Alcohol and drug abuse account for
    50% of the problematic patients in the emergency department. Doctors can pull up your name and print out a years worth of information regarding your prescription refills and pretty much bust you for lying now days. Most Docs are not writting scripts for these type of pts anymore due to the profound drug abuse problem in our country. Medics and nurses are timed of people being brought in stuperous vomining and urinating on themselves because they so drunk or under the influence.

March 26, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Catana L Barnesw

The doctors in this country think they are gods and they are treated that way by big business and our government! I recently found out that some doctor, some where, at some point, stitched my sternum from top to bottom with sternotomy wires, but never said a word to me (nobody even opened my chest for this)! This is a criminal act and demonstrates the absolute arrogance of the world's most incompetent doctors! We, as a nation, need to go after these doctors and make them accountable for every little thing they do. The violence that is rising up around health care should be directed at the doctors and health care system as they are the disgusting, incompetent, criminals that have created all of this! DOWN WITH AMERICAN DOCTORS!

March 26, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Bella Marie

Corey Haim was an awesome guy. Yes, he was an addict.. A victim of a drug disease. I don't see why it would ever be necessary to have 20 doctors. Someone haddd to have some control or input in Corey's
    life. I just feel that at this point, he was alone and free to do what he wanted. Which was drugs. Most knew that Corey was an addict for many years and he was just left to do whatever. Ones decisions are indeed, ones decisions, in the end. But, he was an addict. He needed responsible people around him, guiding him.. Not selling him his death note in a bottle. That's my view. May he rest finally, in peace.

March 26, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  46. William Spendlove

Obama did not give orders to our Military in regard to not destroying poppy crops.. read your f'n news and you would know that, they are compensating farmers with cash to destroy said poppy crop.

Perhaps our Military should have done that back in 2002? Regardless this has nothing to do with the tragic article about Corey Haim.. R.I.P. Corey.

March 26, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Dave

DC Insider clearly needs to shop for some meds...what a freak!

March 26, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Poster

It is tragic that CH died, but his drug abuse can't be blamed on anyone but himself. If he lied to obtain any pain meds, he will officially be scum to me. As a former patient who struggled with chronic pain, I can attest to how difficult it can be for valid patients to get pain relief because of the lying drug addicts and too-busy-to-descern-the-difference docs.

March 26, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  49. emme

Wow, he was looking pretty rough in the photo above. Looks like a crack user in the midst of their addiction. Not good. Having worked in a pharmacy, I have seen so many faked Rx scripts...and plenty of customers with multiple doctors writing for the same stuff. Prescription drugs or street drugs, an addict is an addict. Unfortunately, this story plays out all over the US...just happens this guy was 'famous'. RIP man.

March 26, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Jay Jay

Bravo RAY – I couldn't have said it better myself. We must all take responsibility for our actions and quit placing blame on others.

March 26, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Lori

It is sad that he lost his life. One thing that people seem to forget is People die. No matter what ....we will all die. People act like things should be made illegal because someone dies. What a joke. People will always die from something. Say he was not able to get the scripts....he would have went to the street and got herion, say he could not have gotten herion for whatever reason, he could have huffed paint...it goes on an on and on. Its a personal thing....stop blaming the doctors. Atleast people who go and get things from doctors are not on the street getting drugs that has god knows what in it as well as having to use dirty needled which is causing the spread of AIDS. Funny how alot of places stopped selling needled to people....as if this would stop them from doing drugs. NO , it only makes them share needles. People live in their little white houses and have no idea what the life of a addict is. I work with addicts, I see it everyday and the way this country goes about it is NEVER going to help.

March 26, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  52. benswa

How would a Doctor know that someone is getting prescriptions from other doctors ? When that person goes in to fill the prescription, the pharmacy (if it's the same pharmacy) should pick up on it. Or, if the person is using prescription coverage to pay for it, then the carrier should see the overusage and not pay for it.

March 26, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Lisa

DC Insider – You are so OUT THERE! Out of touch – looking to blame Obama! You need help! Take some meds yourself so you don't have to spew your stupid opinion on the rest of us. Either that or go back in the cave from which you came. You've been listening to the Right for too long.

March 26, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  54. ris

All of you need to step down out of your ivory tower. Oxy is heroin, and until you have walked that mile, or watched someone walk it, you just have no clue. Dont get me wrong, the addicts are addicts not victims. Its not always about the choice, and many times an addiction to painkillers is started by one doctor. He figures out your hooked and then ditches you because you have now become a liability to him. Instead of compassionatly helping undo what he has helped do to someone, it forces some to start the whole doctor shopping thing. There are ways out of the misery, but folks are quick to believe its just a choice. To do drugs or to not do drugs. Its just not that easy with a chemical opiate addiction. Your choices are no longer relevant to your brain, its all physical. Like I said, there is help, a little but not talked about drug called subutex. Its magic. So someday when you get a terrible illness or injury that requires months or years of pain management, and then poof its over, remember how high you sat in that ivory tower judging the addicts below.

March 26, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Sandra

Dear "D C Insider"...you are an insult. How the heck has this anything to do with "Obamacare", as you ultra left-wing conservatives call this health care bill? Stick to what is being discussed or don't participate. This is not Obamacare, this is not Bush's fault, and this does not have anything to do with the Tea Party. Haim was an addict plain and simple and he basically killed himself.

March 26, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Matt

DC Insider , Honestly could sign dumber then you actually are? Haim has been doctor shopping for years its not like he decided a month ago to start popping pills he has been doin it since the early 90's.

And poppy fields in afghan have to do with haim in what way? Bottom line is poppy seed fields are not illegal everywhere and it is the main trade product that country has.

March 26, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  57. johnjon683

We're all wreckless at some point during young life, it's tragic that an overwhelming addiction begins at such a young age. Hopefully, most of us live through the circumstances and move forward with valuable life lessons. With narcotics, people need to understand how dangerously addictive they can become and where they lead you (to the grave), there are certain things you just stay clear of no matter the peer pressure , hollywood actors are not exempt from this rule. These physicians should be held accountable for aiding in this situation. I don't place blame on them completely but they should be aware of the accountable actions their positions deem. After all; They are medical doctors, not your $8 an hour worker at the local Taco Bell.

March 26, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  58. DR DAN

Doctors deal with drug seekers and doctor shoppers all day long. It is a challenge to figure out who is in real pain or an abuser. We are blasted for overtreatment as well as undertreating pain. We are put in a rather tough position which most people dont understand.

March 26, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Sue

Doctor shopping has been around as long as there were drug seekers. A person goes to one doctor, gives the doctor a line about not sleeping, being anxious, etc...the MD gives him a Rx for Ativan or Xanax with no refill. He goes to another doctor a few days later for back pain....gets a Rx for vicoden. He goes to different pharmacies to get these fill. As an ER, we see drug seekers all the time. You would think they would come up with different stories by now but they all give the same story all the time. I had an aunt whose drug of choice, in addition to alcohol, was percocet. Long history of doctor shopping and prescription drug abuse. It was her reputation that actually caused her death. When she complained of pain, she couldn't find a doctor to believe her. Her spleen had ruptured and she died during emergency surgery. There are doctors that give away these Rxs like candy, but there are some that just happen to be one in a long list of many that the person used to get drugs.

March 26, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Lee

I agree with Ray. Everybody is quick to point the finger at others instead of taken responsibility for there own actions. I liked Haim but face it he was addicted.

March 26, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  61. JellyBean Brown

Yeah, it's the doctors and the drugs' fault. Poor Corey, falling victim to drugs and doctors. Those drug-dealers.

It's like arresting the bullet and the gun in a murder case.

He would have died by illegal drugs if these had not been offered. If he had not overmedicated and mixed and drank and killed himself, he'd be fine. Corey killed Corey. Vilifying doctors is foolish. He was a grown man and in my opinion should be able to walk in a pharmacy and purchase WHATEVER HE PLEASES.

All this talk about prescrip drug deaths on the rise and no one points-out how many fewer heroin OD, crack deaths, HIV, Hep-c case deaths there are. Just blame the doctors. Corey NEEDED opiods. He NEEDED to feel good. If that could just be a symptom or disease, doctors would prescribe differently. You KNOW he came into each doctor ACTING in excruciating pain, to get what he wanted. If he just could have said, "this is for my head to feel good" maybe he'd get psych help too, or methadone, or SOMETHING other than more drugs.

There are people who can't feel good. I am one. Something is just NOT firing in there. Some drugs help and I get them but, not enough. Just want to throw in that I don't want to die. He did. So, I just try to get by.

Every day, I PRAY that I will hear of a doctor who specialized in this mental pain, who is not a psychiatrist prescribing mind altering pharmacology experiments. Just give me opiods. Monitor my use... fine. Just provide me a place where Heath, Anna, Michael (good riddance IMO), Corey could have gone instead of behind the doctor's backs, leaving them to be blamed.

March 26, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  62. laz

I still don't believe Brittany Murphy didn't die of a cocaine overdose ...

March 26, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Nadim Salomon

Clearly, Mr Haim had a serious substance abuse issue and was shopping for prescription drugs. It is surprising that using 20 doctors did not alarm the pharmacists or Mr Haim's insurance company. Unless he was paying cash.

March 26, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  64. elei

although the Dr.s do bear some responsibility in these cases, it is getting a little old hearing about how it is solely the fault of the Dr.s The DEA has a system in place for suspicious over prescribing to individuals and if the Dr. is prescribing too much of something that is not ordinary, if the system is working ,this should be detected and investigated . Look at the addict, they Dr. shop and use false names to obtain the various drugs and then they die of an overdose and poof it is the Dr.s fault. In Corey's case , I don't think it was because he had alot of money or fame as like MJ did. Instead he himself probably engaged in criminal activity by Dr. Shopping and using various alias. If he used his own name with 20 different Docs, it might not have raised a red flag because each Dr. prescribed the minimal amount for a specific reason. Corey ,like many others ,not only celebs ,had a drug addiction and he wasn't being treated properly. Maybe by his own choice or his own inability to commit to taking his life back. It is not an easy thing to do. His family and friends did all they could I assume,and that just goes to show you. Corey was the one and only person who needed to make the commitment to himself and be treated no matter how hard it was. He obviously did not succeed. It is sad every time it happens. May he rest in peace and may we find another way to control the manipulation of the Dr.s , the system and prescription drug companies who are getting rich from it all. Money , again, is the root of all the evil!

March 26, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Michelle

I agree, Ray. Corey Haim & Michael Jackson drugged themselves to death, we can't blame the doctors, anymore than we can blame the liquor stores for people who die from alcohol.

March 26, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  66. tristan

the guy was addicted he would do anything to get his fix comin down off oxy is tough stuff you would do almost anything how is this bushs fault wake up

March 26, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  67. narrator

I take it that the family wants these toxicology reports in order to make Haim seem respectable and clear the family name. Then I'm sure they will go to court and try and milk the DR's for every cent they can.

March 26, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  68. D C Insider

This is Obamacare at work. Obama cut a backroom deal with Daschel, a drug company lobbyist that facilitates the free flow of drugs in this country.

And Obama has given orders to the military in Afghanistan NOT to harm the poppy crop (heroin producing poppies) therby letting the opium growing capital of the world to thrive under the protection of the US Military

March 26, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • joe low watt

Although you may think that the military is protecting the poppy crop. Nothing could be further from the truth I have a friend that worked as a private contractor at J-bad returning helicopters to air worthy states after SAM attacks in combat. The way it works is they let the farmers grow it and process it and put as much money into the crop as possible before it leaves the country. Then Our Brave men and women go in and blow up the facility and sometimes these Choppers get SAMed and he was the guy that repaired the choppers. To illustrate this, he told me about a missile that went right through a soldier killing him and he had to spend quite some time cleaning up the mess so he could repair the chopper. With that, you see, our military is protecting us and our kids from that particular source of evil. Besides we make way better drugs that are far more addictive and damaging right here in the US, from Petrol byproducts. Then we have DR's to deal them, the DEA to protect the market, and the IRS to tax it with! America! What a country!

April 5, 2012 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  69. IMHO

There is no good way to prevent an addict from "doctor shopping" to get drugs. What the heck. Even Rush Limbaugh did it.

March 26, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Ray

I am not a doctor or work in medical field. We always want to blame someone else for our mistakes. Let's not lose sight of the fact that, Haim went to Doctors and told them lies or deceit to get what he wanted. Clearly if the medical record system was on line and doctors could bring up your medical record, Haim would not have been able to "kite" through Doctors. Doctors can only treat with the information given, no doubt they were tricked by Haim as well as others (not only celebrities) for drugs. He died because of being an idiot, got himself hooked on drugs and then persued them by hook or by crook, he died by his own hand. Frankly, just like michael Jackson did, he created his life style and used his money to create his own dimise. Sorry.

March 26, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Cheetoh

These doctors are not Tea – party people. Seriously. Funny how the media blasts tea party goers, but said very little about the Bush bashers.

March 26, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Resist

Texmaine...you must be on an hallucinogenic drug to have written your post. What does Tea-Party people have to do with the doctors who provided drugs to this unfortunate dead man?

March 26, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Eric - Blue Hen

Geroge W. Bush is responsible for this!

March 26, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Wow

It's you big mouths who bring politics into EVERYTHING. What does that have to do with THIS? Duh!!!

March 26, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Denizen Kate, San Jose

Why does it take several weeks to get toxicology test results?

March 26, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Texmaine

These doctors are just drug dealers by another name, Tea-Party people.

March 26, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Valeriy

Oh freak! If they guy had 20 doctors, no wonder an overdoze happened.

March 26, 2010 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |