March 24th, 2010

'Parenthood' recap: Wassup

testing captions
testing captions

Crosby seems to be making a good effort at embracing the fatherhood thing. Adam is helping him child proof the houseboat so he’s ready for Jabbar’s next sleepover.

In this case, child proofing also includes hiding Crosby’s drug paraphernalia and random women’s undergarments.  Adam is also dispensing his usual brotherly advice, telling Crosby how innocent little kids look when they’re sleeping. The fact Crosby somehow relates that to watching his “hell cat” girlfriends after they’ve passed out makes me think he doesn’t quite get it.

Adam and Christina are going over the family bills when they discover huge cell phone charges on 15-year-old Haddie’s line.  She’s calling a number they don’t recognize. And they do what any reasonable parent should do; they turn into Those Parents, the kind who go through their kids things and read the kid’s Facebook page (I’m totally on board with that, by the way).

With Crosby’s help, they hack into her computer to check her Facebook page.  Turns out she has a boyfriend she hasn’t told them about.  When they confront her about it, she freaks because they’ve been in her room and on her computer. Before she stomps off to her room (and out the window), she yells at her parents, “Ok, who cares, homeland security, what you guys did is illegal.”

They go looking for her at the boyfriend’s parents’ place, which turns out to be nicer than Adam imagined.  The line of the night goes to Christina, who says “Honey, don’t judge a book by its cover, you can cook meth anywhere, I told you that.”

They don’t find Haddie but they do find out she’s been hanging out there, and they know all about her family. Haddie went to talk to her cousin Amber about how to deal with nosy parents.  Adam and Sarah have the flip side of that conversation, with Adam on the receiving end of the parenting advice this time. Sarah says shut her down, no electronic contact at all, because apparently texting leads to teenaged sex.
Julia and Joel go on a date night, and run into Zen mom Raquel at the restaurant.  She’s on a date night with her husband and their daughter.  She still hasn’t learned to keep her hands or her nicknames off other people’s husbands. After a little awkward chit chat, Julia and ‘Joelsky’ get on with their date.

There’s a quick scene of Crosby and Jabbar playing with fire.  Actually, that’s ‘Jabbar with Crosby, who is playing with fire.’

Crosby’s kid doesn’t catch fire, but Jabbar does catch his finger in a soda can. That leads to awkwardness at the emergency room because Crosby doesn’t know Jabbar’s birthday or address.  Julia arrives for support and he has to tell her Jabbar is his son. She helps get her surprise nephew’s finger out of the can, and there’s a nice moment where Crosby tells Julia she’s a good mom.

The show wraps up with another Braverman clan gathering.  This could eventually get cheesy but I still like it.

What is pushing it was Haddie bringing her boyfriend to the cookout to meet the family.  I can’t see that sorting itself out so quickly, even with the nice mother-daughter chat Christina and Haddie had.

I’m glad that so far they haven’t veered into unbelievable tragedy of the week, and I like that Christina and Adam skipped over the “let’s be friends with our daughter” and got right to the snooping and the “you don’t have privacy in my house.” (I’m on board with that, too).

Do you think how they handled that was reasonable and realistic? Let us know what you think.

1. LC

What was the song playing in the background when Crosby and Jabbar were hanging out? It was reggae of some sort and it sounded awesome...Anyone?

March 26, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. judy

good show... better than the other reality shows out there. It has a little bit of everything going on in it.

March 25, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  3. CJ

I've got to say that the invasion of her "Privacy" is a crock. I've got 7 kids of my own and the oldest 3 are 18 or older. they all knew that dad is a computer nerd so there is no sense of hiding anything from him. Not to mention they also understood that it was my house and I can do as I wish, including looking in their accounts. And if they didn't like it, well there's the door.

Not one of them left like that either.

The show is ok, I'm not a fan of this type of "A" typical family crap....

March 25, 2010 at 2:36 am | Report abuse |
  4. JC

Adam and Christina did not invade Haddie's privacy when they read her Facebook page. It's published on the Internet! There is no expectation of privacy – anyone can get a Facebook account and read her page (unless she has it set to private, which is another issue). Using her computer and password is another issue, and probably is an invasion of privacy.

March 24, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Kay

I feel the same way about this show as I do about most reality shows: if I wanted to see ordinary people doing ordinary things, I'd turn off the TV and look around my own neighborhood. It was so predictable.

It would be nice if the family weren't so white-bread, too. But that seems to be way too much to ask for on TV these days... you saw more diversity on TV ten years ago than you do today.

March 24, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Kathy

I am so enjoying this show. I do agree with taking the electronics from the kid, after all, they are not needed for survival. (I was sent to bed without supper as a child.) It also helps the child learn that if you make choices, you deal with the consequences. Although I don't always agree with the methods, the message is the same...we are trying to raise kids in very difficult times.

March 24, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  7. ashley

this show has just been getting worse and more cliched with every week. lauren graham is the only bright spot.

March 24, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jessica

Garry, we haven't found that out yet. Though I'm thinking a confrontation on that is coming on soon. He mentioned to Sarah he was sleeping out there and he and Grandma were a little estranged. My question, is he bringing random chicks over to his workshop or going out on the town? Bad grandpa!

March 24, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Garry Koop

I still want to know why Grandpa has condoms in his office?

March 24, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jessica

My husband and I went over and over those scenes between Christina, Adam and Haddie. He totally disagreed with the way they handled it. He felt taking that route would only push her away and removing her privacy or access to her phone, computer, etc. would only piss her off more. He teaches middle school, so has access to kids that age, but I don't know. I gotta say, I'm leaning more towards finding out what's going on in your child's life, and if they won't willingly give it up to you, then it's your obligation by all means necessary to find out what's going on with them. And they did that.

I think there are good points and bad points to handling it this way. I think them freaking out over what Haddie has been doing shows Haddie that they do care; that they're not so wrapped up in what the son is doing that they don't have time to deal with her issues as well. I think it's a toss up, that this route could push the child away, and that you should take stock of your relationship with your own child and try to foresee from past experiences with them, how they might handle you treating them this way. Will they rebel further or not?

The restaraunt scene with Joel and Julia and Raquel was funny. I loved Joel's line as they walked away, "What are the odds..." And the fact that Raquel and her husband and daughter all eat out together on date night being used as another jab at Julia's poor mothering skills was classic. I felt her pain.

I felt terrible for Sarah's son and all those awkward conversations he was subjected to with Adam and Grandpa. How awful.

All in all, another good episode. I really look forward to watching this show each week.

March 24, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |