March 24th, 2010

Making it to the Top 10

testing captions
testing captions

*The following blog will contain spoilers about who's removed from "American Idol." You know the drill - if you don't want to know anything, stop reading now.*

9:55 p.m. – Here we go with the results.

The person going home is ...

Paige Miles. We get a shot of some people in the audience who go "Wow." Did they not watch her performance on Tuesday?

Simon doesn't fool around and lets her know off the bat that the judges will not be saving her even if she sings for her shot. How did we get from Simon telling her she has the best voice to this point?

That's the "Idol" for you. It gets all up in your head and breaks you down. And thank goodness she doesn't sing "Against All Odds" again. Instead she does "All Right Now."

If I was Paige I would be thinking, "Dang, I don't get to meet Usher!"

9:48 p.m. -Thanks goodness the little girls are screaming so loud that I can barely hear Demi Lovato and Joe Jonas perform "Make a Way."

They are supposed to be a couple. Demi does what is supposed to be runs in the song - and honey, no. I want to put the two of them in the bottom three.

9:35 p.m. – Tim and Paige are still stewing on the stools.

The lights go down and Aaron Kelly is about to learn his fate. He's in the Top 10, which we so knew.

Didi Benami (I had forgotten all about her) is up next and she's got a great smile. Sorry, when it comes to Didi, that's all I've got. She gets saucy with the judges and calls them out for giving confusing direction.

Ellen and Simon try to give her some direction but she can't hear them up on the stage. Doesn't matter though, 'cause she is safe.

Next up is Big Sexy – I mean Big Mike - and I don't have to say it, do I? He's safe and gives the fingers-up-to-the-sky sign.

Crystal Bowersox is also safe. In other news, water is wet.

That leaves Andrew Garcia and Katie to battle it out for the bottom three. Good for Katie that she says she is going to stick with the Pop/R&B style. Andrew tells Simon that he is mean. He's mean, but he is also honest and usually spot-on.

The person in the bottom three is Katie. What?!?!?

She was so much better than Andrew and I was all about him initially. Thankfully, the person who is safe is Katie. Whew!

So Tim or Paige will face the fire.

9:25 p.m. - So Miley Cyrus sings and plays the piano and I am not loving it. She sounds like she is screaming and straining.

I am loving the fact that Usher will be the guest mentor next week. "Daddy's Home" is my jam and I can't wait to see if they let him perform it, given the risque lyrics.

Back to Miley. She is looking a little La Lohan tonight. I really need someone to check her ID to prove her age. She appears to be holding her neck like a turtle about to go in its shell.

Weird. But WE STILL LOVE YOU MILEY!!! (screaming like a tween).

9:11 p.m. – After we make it through the commercial shoot, we learn that Casey James freaked out during rehearsal.

Siobhan Magnus' boss is there and apparently will not shave until she wins. He looks just like one of those cave dudes from the Geico commercials. And Katie Stevens' dad can't stand to be there for the results, so he is at a bar chilling. I would do that during the performances.

And we get to see Big Mike Lynche with his baby strapped to his chest. AWWWWWWWWWWW.

Siobhan is up first and they let her talk way too long about why she screeches. Seacrest messes with her head by telling her she needs to "pack her bags" – to go on tour. She's safe!

Next up is Casey and Lee Dewyze and instead of giving us a decision right away we go to Paige Miles and Zac ... ummm, I mean Tim Urban. Tim defends his corny performance. Paige looks crazy nervous and says she "lost herself in the song."

I wanted to get lost after her performance. Randy says Paige was the worst he ever heard and Seacrest confirms she is in the bottom three. But wait, Tim is about to sit down - when we learn he's in the bottom three, too!

9:02 p.m. – "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go?" "Idol," you are killing me.

And why do the guys sound like they are on Auto-Tune? Plus the choreography needed some help. We need your help Paula A. ASAP!

1. Michelle

Top two? Lee and Crystal.

1. Lee
    2. Crystal
    3. Siobhan
    4. Mike
    5. Aaron
    6. Katie
    7. Didi
    8. Andrew
    9. Casey
    10. Tim

March 25, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Amy

Colin – I agree, Andrew is an alternative singer.
    I would like to see Andrew do a sublime song. He just looks confused and is trying to re-create the Paula thing without luck. It was really good, but I wish the judges would just shut up about it.
    Can you imagine being one of the GOOD singers that was let go in Hollywood, sitting at home, watching who beat them to the show?Offensive!

March 25, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. David in Connecticut

Michele, to which Simon are you refering to? Simon Fuller which is the American Idol producer or are you referring to Simon Cowell the judge? Due to impartiality, Simon Cowell (the judge) does not make anything (money) off the American Idol's winners. Simon Fuller the producer makes the money. Simon Cowell is the producer of American Idol's counterpart or sister show in England. The shows are not fixed and are fully in accordance with FCC regulations.

March 25, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  4. David in Connecticut

I can not believe Tim is still there, talk about luck. And what was Katie Stevens doing in the bottom three? Katie is better than Andrew Garcia and Didi, I guess coming from the third smallest State (Ct) has its disadvantages. I think she should give country genre a shot as Simon suggested. I see Tim going home next, followed by either Andrew or Didi. Not all that impressed with Aaron Kelly, his type is a dime a dozen these days. Top six should be Big Mike, Lee, the two New England girls – Siobhan and Katie, as well as Casey and Crystal. Which they have all made the tour so starts their careers.

March 25, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  5. michele

they wouldn't even consider saving paige...pisses me off..crystal was sick and they praised her singing...paige is sick and they don't give her a chance...they are saving that save for crystal...which is unfair because....casey was sick and if i remeber right they praised him(cept kara cause of the scandal)

1. simon is showing way to much favoutism towards crystal

2. chances are she gonna win(which sucks) but on the other hand she is not gonna have a problem getting a record deal...so they should let her slide and let someone else come in first place....i'm sure the other 9 feel like shit because of the favoutism simon is showing..which is wrong on his part...

i truely do believe this show is rigged....

example...look at susan boyle vs diversity....susan had the world behind her...and diversity wins?? come on tell me that wasn't rigged...

you think simon wants to waste his money on someone that is not gonna bring him $$$$....so he picks his winner from day 1 who will collect the most $$$$ for him.......and thats who is gonna win...i still strongly beleive the fans that vote is just a throw off (a lie) that is also rigged...really sit long and hard people.......and think about this....

March 25, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  6. mamagx3

I wanna know why the producers chose a lame 80's song – when they had SO many others to chose from – for the group song? Kind of a "Do as I say not as I do" moment when the judges have been blasting the contestants for picking dated songs.

Oh, and I want to join the chorus – TIM URBAN NEEDS TO GO!

March 25, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  7. big buz

forget everybody else big mike has to gooooo. when he does ill be very happy . playes up the baby gig to much . he realy thinks he is going to win? maybe he will but i hope not.

March 25, 2010 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  8. Whatup1

Ok..you have to admit her final performance after Paige was voted off was decent. They shouldn't have thrown her out that fast. You even see their arms go up in the air like where was this coming from. They should have given her the time of day to see what she could do. Oh well.

March 25, 2010 at 1:35 am | Report abuse |
  9. Colin

Why do so many people want to see Andrew go!?..... his problem is he is not made for this show..... he is an alternative artist.... this is not an alternative show.... trust me... in his own niche he is absolutely fantastic..... TIM URBAN needs to go.... seriously he's just straight up awkward.

March 25, 2010 at 1:20 am | Report abuse |
  10. j.r.

in case u don't know....the group songs are pre-recorded and they lip synq because they're dancing and all. Tonight was sooooooooooo effected by pro tools & studio wizardry it diidn't sound like any of their real voices, as if we needed further evidence that most of them can't sing in key.

March 25, 2010 at 1:07 am | Report abuse |
  11. Alex

Basically knew Paige was going home the moment the show started. I was queued in on her for a bit and I think she knew she was going home as well but when it happened it was like "Damn..I knew it." But she took it real well considering the stuff that came out of Simons mouth.

Yes he was being honest but I think overly and unnecessarily blunt. What caught my eye was at the end when she was performing her last song...I had the same reaction as Randy did..."Where was that last night???!!!" You could see him holding up his hands in disbelief like he was looking at someone totally different from last night. That wasn't the Paige that made it to the top 11 last night.

Just goes to show...great confidence can take you a long way in life. Paige let the viewers know with last night's performance that she didn't believe she was the best singer and could win the competition. Andrew has to be next. Straight boring. Clearly Crystal is the most talented singer and should win. Hope to see her and Michael in the final perhaps.

March 25, 2010 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  12. Suzanne

Speaking of Bob Seger, that's who's songs Casey James should sing! I'm shocked at how mediocre most of the singers are...I'm really not that impressed with most of them, with the exception of Crystal and Casey. Dwezel (sp?) reminds me of Danny Gokey from last year and is just not that amazing and Siobhan Magnus's is a bit creepy. Something about her, besides the scream, makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. Aaron Kelley is a good singer, but Crystal and Casey are amazing musicians and both have great voices. Casey seems to lack the self-assurance Crystal has, but I think he could easily get there! And I think he may be a bit stiff due to a serious accident he mentioned having. The doctors told him he would never play again, and he said he's in constant pain! Casey and Crystal are both troopers, and I can't wait to see what's next for them!

March 24, 2010 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jana Bartholomew

Paige yes was bad but Tim Urban Sucked big time eve worse than she did!!!

March 24, 2010 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Stephanie

With her final song, one would think Simon would have allowed Paige at least the chance to save herself, given the fact that he told her not long ago that hers was the best female voice in the competition.

March 24, 2010 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  15. CW

Paige had to go. She could NOT sing. Tim also needs to go.

March 24, 2010 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Don

The very notion that Tim Urban is still on this show makes me doubt the veracity of American Idol! I can't believe he's going to be back for another week.... I think I'll just skip next week. Aaron and Moma sox are my favorites, but Tim has got to go!

March 24, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  17. protogere

Aww I'm still holding out hope for Andrew, I think he has a lot working against him in constantly trying to please the judges and being held to a standard from ONE performance he gave that was really good.

March 24, 2010 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  18. mozart4898

@ James – If not for Paige's trainwreck last night, I would have had Katie as my choice to go home. She wasn't good at all. Neither was Didi but I thought that Didi's stage presence was better than Katie's and that would be the tiebreaker between them. I really don't think Tim was nearly as bad as those 3...I think people have turned on him since hearing he was the choice of VFTW. But at this point, I really don't think he's the worst, at all.

March 24, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  19. michele

i'm reallllly disappointed protoere....that andrew is still there

March 24, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Brownivygal

and at least Paige had an excuse to be awful last week........she's actually sick.

Tim is just horrible.

March 24, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  21. willyboy

Bye bye Paige--

March 24, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Brownivygal

damn Simon, that comment was WAYYY HARSH. they didn't even give her a chance to sing.

March 24, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  23. protogere

Tim gets spared...AGAIN?? Eh oh well, Paige or Tim it was horrible. And dang Simon is really harsh, she's going home, do you need to kick her while she is down?

March 24, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Brownivygal

Regardless, of who goes or stays, this group doesn't have enough star power to convince me to go PAY and SEE them live when they go on tour.

March 24, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  25. protogere

Michele sometimes it just takes a bit of time to have them get through moderation.

March 24, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  26. James

Katie in the bottome three? Come on. What's up with that? Katie did great last night. The girl needs more love than that.

March 24, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  27. James S.

I don't think Tim is entirely talentless, just clueless. That being said, he has a hell of a career as an underwear model if the whole singing thing doesn't work out.

March 24, 2010 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  28. michele

is lisa not letting any comments post tonight or what??????

March 24, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  29. mozart4898

Well...I was 2 for 3. I had Paige, Didi, and Katie in the bottom 3, with Paige going home. Still really REALLY think it's Paige going home even with Tim there.

March 24, 2010 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Joshua Mixon

UPDATE IT!!! I'm dying here, don't have TV.

March 24, 2010 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  31. michele

i reallllllllly hate this show now....andrew shouldn't be there....

March 24, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  32. willyboy

Well, as expected, katie made it. Hope she sticks around a few more weeks-

March 24, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  33. protogere

Water is wet LoL I have to steal that line!

March 24, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  34. mddiva

Wow, Surprised Andrew is safe. But I'm glad he gets to go on tour. That will help his family out a lot.

March 24, 2010 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  35. protogere

This is the first week that the bottom three is right.

March 24, 2010 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  36. mushymushroom

say whaaaaaaaat lisa? Miley sounds like screaming and straining...? Well, that's the quality of mentors in American idol...at least for this season....at least for this week...LOL!

March 24, 2010 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  37. protogere

I'm very excited that Usher is indeed next week's mentor, I had read that he would be but you know how those rumours are. Lisa, I have my doubts he will be allowed to perform that song LoL. I remember when P!nk performed they wouldn't let her do U& Ur Hand and that song doesn't even come right out and spell it out.

March 24, 2010 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  38. mozart4898

I really thought it odd that Miley sang and totally proved herself to not be the best female vocalist on the stage tonight – in fact, she might have a tough time beating any of them if they're on. I almost had to leave the room during that.

R&B week next week huh? Well...this'll be interesting I have to say. I've thought for a while that someone like Crystal has a lot more range stylistically than we've seen, and this will be a good test of that. I'd expect Mike to do well in that style – really most of the guys should be able to pull it off. Casey might be a bit of a stretch but I think he'll do fine. As for the girls, I dunno what to expect from them. We'll see.

March 24, 2010 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Hoosier

Why doesn't Ellen pick the songs for next week?

March 24, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Hoosier

They're lip-syncing, right?

March 24, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Katie

Can we lose Paige, Tim AND Andrew? Just cut to the chase!!

March 24, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  42. willyboy

I expected that both Tim & Paige would be in the bottom again. It will probably be Paige going home, as all those tweener girls voted for Tim.

March 24, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  43. protogere

Wow Miley needs a bit of studio help, those vocals are rough. I like the song lyrics though – reminds me a lot of The Climb, one of her songs I actually enjoy.

March 24, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  44. michele

hmmmmmmmmm miley is a screamer...wonder what the judges have to say about that

March 24, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  45. protogere

Based on this week – Paige needs to go. But if it's cumulative, Tim is probably the worst of the pair.

March 24, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  46. WHATEVER

i really hope andrew goes home

March 24, 2010 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  47. KenDeMere

As Bob Seger would so aptly say "turn the Paige". She gonna go home tonight. And if we really get lucky Ellen will leave and Paula will come back- lord knows I never thought I would say that

March 24, 2010 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  48. protogere

YES! I just blew out my husband's ear drums yelling for joy!

March 24, 2010 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  49. protogere

Didi looked like she was pulling a Milli Vanilli the whole way through – and I like her but wow. I have a weakness for that song though so I can't complain much. LoL

March 24, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |