March 19th, 2010

Report: No 'Star Search' deal for Paula Abdul

The Daily Beast is reporting that the deal for Paula Abdul to host and judge on a revived version of "Star Search" is not happening. The Daily Beast writes, "An ABC source confirms that the network is not moving forward with Abdul 'at this time,' but says that 'doesn't necessarily mean' that the new Star Search won't happen."

After Paula Abdul announced she was leaving "American Idol" last year, the entertainment world tried to figure out what was next for the former judge. Would she return to singing and dancing? Start producing? Join the cast of judges on Simon Cowell's American "X Factor"?

Looks like Cowell's show is most likely at this point, although Abdul's departure from "American Idol" may have burned some bridges at Fox. What do you think - should Abdul join Cowell's crew, or jet off on her own?

Filed under: American Idol judges • Celebrities • Simon Cowell • television

1. justin

paula and simon seem to work well together and i think it would be a benefit to any music based show to have her. she has the right attitude and experience

March 23, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  2. roberta kanr

the whole show has run it;s course, not just paula....the young people who are on the show have only minimal talent this year, no longer enjoyable to watch or listen to AI. tired of all of them really...same old.....same old, nothing new or exciting...show should disappear like Paula

March 23, 2010 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  3. Eric

I think American Idol has lost its magic a bit. The Randy/Paula/Simon really worked. Randy was the technical guy who'd give you advice about timing/pitch/style. Simon would tear you up. Paula was the nurturing sweet one to build you back up and restore confidence.

March 22, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. pepper

Sherlock, I am with you. These people that take the time to write... who cares, are really stupid. Why did you bother posting if you didn't care. Goes to show you how stupid they are. Just move on... I like Paula so I wish her the best. I do like the way Simon and Paula worked off each other and the look on Simon's face when she went off on a tangent were priceless. If you don't like someone on tv..just press that square thing with buttons on it and change the channel. For those of us that like the shows and people you don't, we could care less who or what you don't like. I wouldn't knock the people or shows you don't like. You have a right to like what you like....just as we do.

March 22, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  5. LacrosseSon

"Idol" has run its course. Randy's "dog" and "man" comments are sooo repetitive, Ellen knows nothing about music, I don't even know who that other girl is, and Simon is leaving. What's to watch?

If Paula teams up with Simon on his new show, it will be a winning combination.

March 22, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. thend64

I've always had a soft spot for Paula Abdul. I never really liked American Idol, but she seem's like a genuinely kind person and I hope she has something good happen for her.

March 22, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. The Best Critic

Paula has options? why?

She could be Conan's sidekick.

March 22, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  8. Bill Shirt

Paula is sorely missed on Idol...and Star Search is a relic and she should avoid that like the plague. It is interesting that Simon is engaged and acting like a high schooler with PDA's all over now. I always thought he and Paula would have made a great couple.

I think Paula should do a Playboy spread.

March 22, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  9. satan

How about Celebrity ReHab?
    or Intervention?

March 21, 2010 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  10. brad

Enough of her. Next !!

March 21, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Blue

She needs to go back to Idol. Kara is a joke and a phony. I can't stand to her her comments.

March 21, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. AZ SENIOR

Hey, America's Future, you are on the wrong site – and how uncharitable of you.

March 21, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Susan90Tx

Who Cares?

March 21, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  14. The_Mick

Adian Cronauer wrote: "...American Idol is borderline cheesy if not outright cheesy. Star Search was the fondue of television..."

Great comments! "the fondue of TV" is brilliant.

I think Star Search was so bad because Ed McMahon hosted it and diluted cheese was his style. It could be better, but with even American Idol bringing in mostly people with professional experience and many who've even had prior record contracts, they're all fake now.

March 21, 2010 at 5:35 am | Report abuse |
  15. Anthony

I think she should take a break and come be my wife for awhile...

March 21, 2010 at 5:00 am | Report abuse |
  16. chele

I happen to love drunken antics–as long as they're done the other way from me. I'm not sure if her antics were drunken or pill-related. That's just not really my area.

March 21, 2010 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  17. DJ

I hope she will be on X-Factor....American Idol has gone downhill since she left. When Simon leaves that show will go down the drain. I think her and Simon were good together. I would like to see it happen again.

March 20, 2010 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Vicky B.

Paula needs to move on and get a life. This TV stuff is no longer for her.

I am quite tired of looking at her tired appearance. She really does need to focus more on her personal life now and age with grace.

March 20, 2010 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  19. A FAN

I think she should join So You Think You Can Dance, I think she would be a great addition to the show.

March 20, 2010 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  20. BabyblueTB

Paula and Simon have to work together one more time. She is a huge part of why Idol was so successful. Plus Simon thinks the world of Paula and has already told us he will work with her again. Hold on Paula we want you back on a great show like the XFactor.

March 20, 2010 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  21. vegan

From now on, whenever Americans think of Paula Abdul, we think of American Idol. The show may have pigeonholed her, but we loved her as a judge on AI. It might seem like she would be riding Simon's coattail if she were to do the American version of 'The X Factor', but I think America would love to see her be one of its judges.

March 20, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  22. sadieq

I hope I never seen Paula on anything again. I will not watch any show that she appears on.

March 20, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Kelly

The woman is a loser, regardless of what career path she follows. So really, who cares?

March 20, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  24. mary

I really hope paula does something with Simon....

March 20, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Sophie

I could care less where she ends up. She is not entertaining, she is a pathetic mess.

March 20, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Dmegson

"Depending on what contract and or relationship could be worked out if any still exists (Working : Judges) for music to discover new talent and nurture it. Then I think they shine together. But the three made "3s company. It seemed to work and together they made some huge stars out there. 1 Star and Two Music experts made or nurtured, evaluated talent from the cities U.S.A. Paula has a amazing past and she has been a great pop artist, actress, celeb and what ever more you can credit her with. But she brought an "inspiration" a "light" that shines and radiates from her face and heart.. even when she is goofy and just having a good time. She is not always 100% correct and Simon judges by the scale of "marketability " and if a contestant can sing. How well.. how nature.. do they believe in them selves.. are they unique and so on... I think Paula has it and I am sorry something went wrong at "Fox". If it did. Hey people disagree all the time. She has a connection with the contestants that runs deep. Like a special teacher. That is valuable because it helps them believe in them selves. Who can measure if that believe and heart are enough to make a winner. It's most likely a combination of every little thing. So yes she would benefit with Simon if they can work it out. "We can work it out!" The Beatles song..'

What??? I thnk Wayne M.M.J is Paula

March 20, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Little Tommy

My take...who cares?

March 20, 2010 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  28. This is news?

What does this woman do except consume resources & set back the cause of women with being such an airhead?

March 20, 2010 at 7:28 am | Report abuse |
  29. Jennifer

I think all of reality tv stinks. And what ever Paula does it really is no ones business.

March 20, 2010 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
  30. MJM

Well Paula is done on AI, however AI is likely toast after this season anyway. Its lost its luster big time.

March 20, 2010 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  31. DELONG

Why does america spend so much energy on very good but "has beens"? It's bad enough we hear too much about the very cheesy and primarily unqualified judges of AI. Sometimes Paula was good on AI and sometimes she acted so silly it was just not funny.

March 20, 2010 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  32. Sherlock

You apparently care. Not only did you read the post, you posted a response. LOL

March 19, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Neicy

I'm not convinced that Paula is strong enough to stand on her own so my thought is to be more in a supporting type role, like on X factor. That's her strength and the reason why she was so successful on Idol. And I do agree with Str8 Outta Tx, Idol is going down hill fast! I'm about over it and have decided to just watch the performances online and not be forced into hearing the judges babble. But that's another story...

March 19, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  34. loretta Goldstein

I would love to see Paula and Simon together again. They compliment
    each other, besides being so much fun.

March 19, 2010 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  35. JRyan

Paula should do anything that sticks it to Fox.

March 19, 2010 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  36. moon627

Paula would be smart to rejoin Simon if he asks her onto his new XFactor show.

Seriously – where was she and what was she doing before she went on American Idol ? nada

She never should have held out and quit AI over salary disputes – i'm sure she was making more than enough money

March 19, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  37. jackie

I hope she works with Simon and Randy again they did very well together, I loved the show when it was just the three of them, now I only watch every now and then, Kara is so foney, I love Ellen on her talk show not on idol, Kara needs to go, do you see her trying to act like Paula dancing in her seat, she is not a nice lady you can just tell

March 19, 2010 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  38. America's Future

Eight million illegal aliens have jobs while fifteen million Americans are unemployed. Is this fair? A further ten million Americans are unable to find full-time employment. All told, twenty-five million American workers are considered U-6 unemployed (meaning they are either unemployed or have a part-time job but desire full-time employment). LARGEST in History Pro-Amnesty March this weekend 3/21.. can you imagine 12 Million more workers to COMPETE with, in our schools, using our Welfare systems & hospitals. PLEASE talk about THIS, tell your representatives TODAY – NO AMNESTY EVER!!! and SAVE AMERICA

March 19, 2010 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Liza

Not much doubt in my mind that Paula will be on X-Factor. Her contract was probably signed right after she quit Idol, if not before. Lots of people think Simon quit because Paula quit and he changed his plans so they could do X-Factor together. He predicted that Paula leaving Idol would have a massive impact, and it has. I don't think Paula will be doing much in the future that doesn't have something to do with Simon. I think they are in business together and that's why she turns everyone down. Just watch, and it will all be revealed eventually. Notice how they are never seen together...for almost a year now. Not ONE picture. There's a reason for that. And now Simon is "engaged" and has put his personal life on display (almost daily).....which normally he never does. Whatever is going on will all come out in the wash.....and it will be interesting to watch.

March 19, 2010 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  40. James

She should have her own show...yes she's filled with antics, prolly Rx drugs and booze but she's freakin hilarious! Lets see her be put to the test with her own show but made completely up to america

March 19, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Steve685

Well, Sam Harris would be great as a judge.
    To quote something else I recently read about Sam and this gig,

" Who would be better qualified, than a triple threat pro? And he know if someone has "It" or not in 3 notes and the conviction in their eyes.!!!......He basically experienced the exact same feelings these kids are going to feel. Have temporary guest judges with Mark Miller from Sawyer Brown, Brad Garrett, Rosie O...all very talented! Hell yes!!!Sam's #1"

March 19, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  42. John J.

Who cares? Seriously, she was an interesting trip (or drunken stumble) down memory lane, but it's over.

March 19, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Adrian Cronauer

I'd like to see Paula do something not so cheesy. American Idol is borderline cheesy if not outright cheesy. Start Search was the fondue of television. I'm not sure if Paula is up for a real challenge but she's got unused talent that brought her fame and acclaim... let's see her use it.

March 19, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Wayne M.M.J

should Abdul join Cowell's crew?

March 19, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Str8 Outta Tx

the x factor is going to be the most succesful out of all these vote 4 your favorite type of shows. american idol is obviously going down the drain.

March 19, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |