March 18th, 2010

'Eat, Pray, Love' trailer hits the Web

Julia Roberts

The trailer for Elizabeth Gilbert's best-selling memoir "Eat, Pray, Love" has arrived months before its August 13 release date, and it offers a tasty tidbit of what fans of the book - and fans of Julia Roberts - can expect.

Judging from the clip, the adaptation stays pretty close to the text - Roberts' marriage ends and she sets off on a year-long journey to Italy, India and Bali because she "wants to go someplace where she can marvel at something," seeing that she'd spent the majority of her life either getting into a relationship or getting out of one. Or, in other words, she wanted to have a relationship with pizza - for once - instead.

The last time we saw Roberts in a lead role, it was opposite Clive Owen in the 2009's romantic caperĀ  "Duplicity," which didn't do all that well with critics or in theaters. With the nearly endless hype surrounding Gilbert's recount of her travels, it's practically a guarantee at this point that Roberts won't be attached to another dud.

Starring alongside Roberts is Javier Bardem, James Franco and Billy Crudup.

Filed under: movies

1. mire

For all the fans of Eat, Pray, Love here's a little shopping journey that is fun and helps Autism Speaks:

Lot's of Eat, Pray, Love promos are included and all around that theme – enjoy!

August 4, 2010 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mary

Loved this book...... read it 4 times.
    I do not know yet, if Julia was right for the part.
    She is a wonderful person though.

March 22, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  3. Patricia

This is a beautifully written book. If you just take out key scenes and put them on the screen all the nuance will be lost. I hope they don't turn this into a stupid romantic comedy. I suggest reading the book. I stayed up all night reading it. It was amazing – the food throughout her travels in Italy makes you want to fly to Rome, the stars she saw as she saw them from the rootop in India counterpositioned by the young girls she passes breaking rocks in the fields and the mystic of Bali was enough but then she magically also fell in love....I can only hope that they do the book justice. I'll probably know from the first scene, if they don't have her curled up on the bathroom floor I know that the essence of the journey from desperate despair to ectasy has been diluted and I'll probably leave the movie theater.

March 22, 2010 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
  4. Eva

I did not like the book, it was boring. If Oprah would not have given such a publicity for the author and the book itself, we probably would not talk about the movie version and Julia Roberts.
    I will wait until it comes out in video, in case I would fall asleep on it.

March 22, 2010 at 6:28 am | Report abuse |
  5. mushymushroom

I haven't read the book yet (I know, I'm a loser...LOL) but when I saw the trailer it seems interesting. Well, I always thought that Julia Roberts is a great actress, I love her in Erin Brokovich and Pretty Woman. Speaking of, like the one who posted earlier whenever I see Julia ROberts I'm always reminded of her Pretty Woman film...but not her being a hooker but I'm reminded of how sweet that film is... I love the scene wherein she came back to the shoe store and shopped extravagantly with the b*tchy saleslady (who discriminated her before) looking at her in awe! Love that revenge scene... :)

March 21, 2010 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Entertained

Acting is quite hard and actors can't make everyone love them. Shame, Shawn that you believe Trash you read in those magazines. Julia had a rough time getting into the business. She almost starved to death. Give her a break.

March 21, 2010 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Tommy

The story of a woman who leaves a man who loves her so she can go 'discover herself', only to find she thinks she needs to be completed by a different man. Oh, and leaves on the journey not because of a spiritual calling, but because it's a good idea for a book. Vapid.

March 21, 2010 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ginger

Julia is oh so very OVERRATED!! I loved this book, but wish they'd chosen a different actress.

March 21, 2010 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Andrea

I was a fan of the book, and was surprised when Julia Roberts was chosen. I enjoy her and Javier Bardem sweetens the deal. I think Sandra Bullock would have been my first choice... but I'm looking forward to this film nonetheless. I do wonder how easy it will be to capture the introspective nature of the book in a movie.

March 21, 2010 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  10. Soloman Lawrence

Julia Roberts is so sweet abd Gorgeous >>

March 21, 2010 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  11. Sita

I love all her movies, especially Pretty Woman and Notting Hill. I even flew to Bali from NL while she was shooting there, although I did not see her.
    Will definitely watch the movie, hope it is as entertaining as the book

March 21, 2010 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  12. diana

Ooh, her voice is so grating and she is so one note that I don't think I can ruin my great experience with the book by seeing this. Maybe, though it's material that just needs to live in a book? I'm with Diva. Cringing.

March 21, 2010 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
  13. Brenda

I don't really think that the poster who said that Julia Roberts always plays the hooker from "Pretty Woman" actually meant that she always plays hookers. I believe that the poster meant that she always plays the giggly, beautiful, somewhat silly, character that was a hooker in that movie. I like Julia Roberts, but now that I think about it, she does often play the same kind of character–regardless of what job the character has.

March 20, 2010 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. DaMona

I listened to the book on a cross county trip we made. Didn't really like it much but I did finish listening to it. If I would have been reading it, I probably would not have finished it....I had a hard time believing everything she wrote about...But will go see the movie. Might be better then the book..I've experienced that before...Also out of curiosity, had to listen to the sequel, "Committed". Lots of research went into that book. I found it more interesting then Eat, Pray, Love......Am curious how long that relationship will last....
    Shawn...Do you believe everything you read?

March 20, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Gloria Amaral

IF i see this movie, it will be because of BARDEM not JULIA. She is an overrated actor. She needs to get rid of those tell tale Juliaisms in her acting. they are in all her movies starting with that Pizza movie. Sorry Julia fans. Meryl Streep has the same problem, but the difference is that Meryl is a GREAT actor.

March 20, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Shawn

Loved the book but very disappointed Julia is the leading lady in the movie. I too used to love Julia until I read how b*tchy and just plain mean she is in real life. . . . she'll have to be fabulous to pull off being authentic like the author. . .but I'm keeping an open mind and my fingers crossed!

March 19, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  17. moon627

I hated the book – totally sappy BS ... but i like Julia and maybe she will bring something to the story to make it an enjoyable movie ... and like Barb says with those guys costarring how can it go wrong ?

March 19, 2010 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Vera

This is a wonderful book and Julia will do it justice. I wonder if she is going to gain the 30 lbs in Italy that the author did and then lose it in the India sequences. Tough trick to do with a 3 month shooting schedule. What will be interesting to see is how Julia protrays the character's growth and rebirth as discribed in the book. That is worth the ticket to watch.

March 19, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Barb

How could she go wrong with Javier Bardem, James Franco and Billy Crudup as co-stars?

March 19, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Mel

Julia Roberts is not just beautiful on the outside but she is SO beautiful on the inside! She has and leads a very peaceful, loving, and serene life and she is clearly what she aims to be, A Beautiful Christian woman, wife, mother, inspiration to all and the fact that she keeps God close to her in her life of fame shows that she is certainly not a person to allow fame to take away what is So important to have a BEAUTIFUL LIFE!!!! I Adore this lady like SO MANY OTHERS and I to have LOVED so many of her movies. If my daughter ever thought acting was a goal for her I have already thought I WOULD LOVE HER TO MEET JULIA ROBERTS and hope that she would learn from her just how to be a GREAT WOMAN in the world of fame! YOU GO JULIA!

March 19, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Lovely lady

I read this book a while back and loved it! I can't wait to see the film and how it portrays the events of the book. I want to have many of those "discovery" journeys in my lifetime that are full of spirituality and passion. Follow your heart, everyone! Julia is a good choice for the role; I'm sure Elizabeth Gilbert approves.

March 19, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  22. Brent Paxton

I'm a huge Julia Roberts fan and I will definitely be seeing this. I have not seen Julia in a role like this before. It seems very natural and earthy. She's got my ticket!

March 19, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  23. carigrrl

I LOVE love love this book so I'll have to see it but I'm really scared. Crossing my fingers! (and waiting for the new one to be in softcopy :o))

March 19, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  24. Sarah

Not the choice I would have made as the director, but who knows she may knock it out the park, just not the face that I attached to the character when I was reading the book....

March 19, 2010 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  25. Shelley

Have always been a fan of Julia Roberts. She is beautiful and despite what 'Head Diva in Charge' thinks – she can really act. With the name Head Diva in Charge – she probably would not recognize talent if it hit her in her Diva head – too pre-occupied with trying to boost her immensly insecure self.

March 19, 2010 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  26. Tim

You haven't watched much of her work, have you? To the contrary, I've pretty much always enjoyed her work. I loved her in "Notting Hill," where she plays a rich, famous actress, who just wants to be "normal" and have a "normal" relationship with a "normal" man. It's sweet and engaging. I would also recommend "Conspiracy Theory," "Runaway Bride," "Pelican Brief," and even "Hook," where she plays Tinkerbell. I could go on and on about the variety of parts she has played, none of which are even remotely "hooker" related or themed.

You're range is much too limited to be so judgmental.

March 19, 2010 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  27. Omokoba opeyemi

I love you.and THIS ME PHONE:NO,07031149487

March 19, 2010 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
  28. Head Diva In Charge

I am so not a fan of Julia. I feel like she ALWAYS plays the hooker from "Pretty Women", just not an actual hooker. Hopefully she does this story some justice.

March 18, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |