March 17th, 2010

'Parenthood' recap: The deep end of the pool

Sometimes I like when you can tell what a show or a movie is about from the title. And I like when show creators stick to what the show is supposed to be about.

So far, the people behind “Parenthood” are delivering on the premise of people dealing with different stages, trials and tribulations of being or having parents.

Max gets kicked out of school for turning over a fish tank - the bubbles were bugging him while he tried to work on a class assignment. Watching Adam and Christina trying to convince a school administrator to take their son into a new school is heartbreaking. So is watching their teenage daughter, who had a soccer final they completely forgot about. She finally tells her dad how she feels about her parents paying so much attention to Max for so long.

Crosby gets to watch his newfound son while his ex goes on an audition. They seem to be having a great time until the car ride. The combination of lactose intolerance and the hills of Northern California is not a good one for Crosby’s cute little convertible.

He swings by Adam’s place for tips on cleaning the car and being a parent. He complains about not being able to handle a kid. Which brings us to the best line of the night: “No, jackass. He’s your son. Grow a pair, deal with it.” The other thing Crosby still needs to deal with? Telling his fiancée about the kid. When she shows up at the studio and asks who Jabbar is, Crosby claims he belongs to someone else. Jabbar isn’t too little to understand what just happened.

Adam is chock full of parenting advice. Julia is having a working mom moment. He tells her she doesn’t “have to choose between being a mom and having to work.” That might tie for best line of the night. He tells her to make the most of the time she has. Unfortunately, her effort to teach Sydney to swim turns out all wrong. Julia was a fantastic swimmer when she was in school and she doesn’t think the new-age swim class her daughter is in is moving along fast enough. She takes matters into her own hands; Sydney ends up terrified and her husband Joel ends up mad.

At the end of the episode, the whole Braverman clan ends up at the local pool. It could have been cheesy, but I liked it. It came off like something a real family would do. What do you think? Does the Braverman family look like more like a family in your neighborhood than most TV families do?

1. albeli

I love this show!

March 17, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Kim

Thank you Jesus, for giving Craig T. Nelson BACK to us!!! Love, love, LOVE the show!!!

March 17, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. leslie

In all likelihood, what are the chances of three or more adult siblings, their spouses, their parents, and all of their children going swimming (on a whim) in a public pool and no other families are there? This show makes me nuts.

March 17, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jam

As my husband and I finished watching last nights episode. We both decided it was a winner. Very true to life emotional experiences, some of which we had experienced. I hope it stays on. There is nothing else worth watching any more. This is very refreshing.

March 17, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Dar

Finally, a show with depth and reality. I and my family love this show! Its a keeper for sure and thanks to all who made it possible.

March 17, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Blangadanger

I am liking this show so far. I think my favorite storylines revolve around Adam and Julia. Adam seems to have an answer for everything, but when it comes to his son, he is terrified, because he doesn't have the answer and has difficulty admitting it. Julia at first seems to be a model feminist. She works hard and makes good money, but she is clearly having trouble with other people, including her husband and his colleague, substituting as a mother to her daughter. She wants to be a great mom and have a great career, but she hasn't found the balance yet.

March 17, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Nickie

I really like this show. It is very realistic and not full of garbage like most of TV these days. A++

March 17, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Tasha

I remember when the film "Parenthood" came out (I was 19), a friend described the film as "100 Reasons to not have kids and 101 Reasons to Have Kids."

Great show, heartwarming, quiet and funny, much better than all the violence and putting other people down, swearing and having sex with everyone and everything.

This is the best new show in a LONG time, a great show for all members of the family to watch together.

March 17, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. RB-Arizona

My wife and I LOVE this show because the situations are real and the actors react is real ways. Ways that real families could react. This show "gets it". Thanks to the writers and cast for this wonderful hour on my Tuesday nights!

March 17, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  10. A.S.Wade

I really like "Parenthood" also; therefore, it will probably be taken off the air. I wish networks would give a good show like this time to find their audience. In the past, there were several very good shows that took quite a bit of time to find their audience. If they spend that much money, time and energy putting it on the air, why don't they keep it on long enough to succeed? I guess we will just have to wait and see.

March 17, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  11. cap10walls

Being a parent of a child with Aspergers Syndrome, I really enjoy this show, can't wait to see how they relate to their son once they get an official diagnosis. There are many different levels to Autism and it's good to see this on primetime TV and let's get away from reality shows about how much weight people can lose or how many dates they go on with random people.

March 17, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  12. C. Miller

This show is horrible. It is like they took "30 Something," "Modern Family," "Gilmore Girls" and a host of better shows and decided to make it one big mix of every stereotype we have seen before. Way too heavy for a family show and the allegedly lighter moments are way too contrived. I hope it goes away. The promos that ran for months were enough to turn me off to it.

March 17, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Sharon

Hey, it's got Lauren Graham in it – that should be reason enough for a pickup by the network! We've been w/o her for long enough.

March 17, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  14. sarah

The show is very, very good. It makes you feel whole and satisfied. A great example in this so-called modern world. Kudos to the writers, producers and to the talented cast who can truly deliver!

March 17, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Maria

it's about time NBC put on a great show with such a great cast, something away from murder, kidnapping, etc. and just about family.

March 17, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  16. sue

in this last episode my granddaughters auntie Sara Neghadari was the singer in the band playing at the music studio. rock on Sara.. and Sara if you are a Sarah with an (h) I apologize..

March 17, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Berta

I love this show. Period. Good family viewing. Good story lines. On at wrong time, should be earlier. HOPE it continues. We need more of these instead of all that crap which is now on.

March 17, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Kristin

I'm sure it's a great show, but I don't need or want to watch a show that mirrors my life! I like my tv to be surreal, unreal and distanced from what I have.

March 17, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Anne

This program is excellent. I did not watch it intentionally. Only stumbled upon it and am fascinated with it now. I especially like the Asperger's story line and that they cover so many important social family issues. It is really great. So they will probably cancel it.

March 17, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Columbus Ohio watcher

I haven't watched this show yet, because I have fallen in love with The Good Wife on CBS. It's a great show, with terrific writers. Parenthood sounds like something I'd like, but I love The Good Wife - maybe when they show a rerun I'll hop over and watch an episode of Parenthood.

March 17, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  21. willa

Love this new show but honestly; how realistic is it that that the lawyer mom is so disconnected from her daughters life and the husband is the Mr. Mom as much as he is? I have big timey job and its not like that at all.

And I'm sorry, but I would NEVER put up with the chick who flirts with lawyer mom's husband right in front of her face every time she's around! Whats up with that?? There needs to be a discussion there because I really don't feel like that would totally not fly in the average American household without someone at the very least saying Hey umm, what the F is going on here?

March 17, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  22. ShysMom

I absolutely love this show and the cast!!
    So real life to me...

Keep up the good work; writers and cast members!!!

March 17, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Barbara Yantis

It;s an enjoyable show that no only entertains but makes you think and also not complain about your own problems.

March 17, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  24. walter

I hate this show. I want to slap all the adults, except Lauren Graham. They all act like dopes in stereotypical ways...Homer Simpson does that better.....I can't indentify with any of them, they are all hopeless.

March 17, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Zach

REALLY wanted to like this show. To this day, Parenthood remains one of my favorite films. What kills me is that even though Brian Grazier produced both the film and the show, he seems to have missed why the film was so great: humor! My wife and I tried to get through the first episode, because we were really excited about the revival, but we didn't make it past the first 20 minutes. It wasn't funny. It wasn't revealing. It wasn't honest. It wasn't any of the things that made the film great. Maybe I wrote it off too soon, but I don't think so. A writer's job is to get my hooked in the first five minutes. I wasn't hooked in the first fifteen. It was all so serious and contrived and, well, done already. Give us a new take on the rebelious youngster or the lovestruck teen or the loser uncle. What really made the film great was its ability to grow with you; it carries an entirely different message for me in my 30s than it did as a teenager whose parents were going through a divorce. It was incredibly socially relevant at the time (and not that families are all that much different now), but there's a lot more going on now that I just didn't see reflected in a fresh new way here. Half of the scenes were directly taken from the film, but without Steve Martin's unparalleled charm. And Craig T Nelson's character should have played out more like his role in The Family Stone than a revamp of Jason Robard's original role. Like I said, I really wanted to love it, but I didn't. I suspect that this one won't last long.

March 17, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  26. momma r

Like the show. My 16-yr-old daughter, husband and I are trying to make a point to watch it. I like that it deals with all aspects of parenting without making anyone look like a total idiot. Yes, they have each had their idiot moments. But overall it does depict the adults as really trying to do the very best they can at maintaining a balance. I have enjoyed many things that "Opie" has done over the years. This is another feather in his cap!

March 17, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Jiffy

I watched this show for the first time last night and barely made it through the first 20 minutes. These people are trying way too hard; they're all irritatingly stupid...jeez, one or two eccentrics per family is more than enough – even the kids are neurotic messes while the "adults" should all be committed. The Steve Martin movie was funny and endearing. This show is nothing but a hot mess.

March 17, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Teacher and Mother

I too love this show and love that people in Hollywood actually thought to do a show showing the struggles of raising children. As a mother of 2 I can relate Julia who must make the most of the time she has with her daughter while she is not at work. As a teacher, it is comforting to know there is a show out there who is not afraid to take special needs head on and deal with it appropriately. They take on so many issues and do it in a way that anyone can relate to and learn from. Great job!

March 17, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Mandy Sowell

This show is great. It is so real. I am glad it shows a family that may not be perfect but they care enough about each other to still help each other out when in need. IT is definitely a keeper -

March 17, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  30. One of 15 kids

Yes, Parenthood reminds me of my family and what we went through daily. It's a wonderful show and I hope that it's getting watched as I we need more programs like it. There are so many young parents that have NO CLUE how to be parents. It's a nice change and very enjoyable!

March 17, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Prospero

Though there are many parallels to the Ron Howard film,, the series so far seems much less interested in comedy, not that the film was strictly a laugh riot. The fact that it defies categorization speaks volumes.

I also agree that the strength of the overall-'thematic- one-liners, (such as the one that Peter Krause's character gave in last night's episode, " ..he's your son, grow a pair.." ) is that they are natural and unpretentious rather than attempting "profundity". This is a prime example that, no matter how talented the cast, which in this case is VERY, a show's strength is in the writing, which in my opinion, in this case is absolutely right on.

And my curiosity is piqued – what's with the condoms in the desk drawer of Dad's guest house- office – – about which he refuses to have a conversaion...???

I'm hooked.!! Although I think 'The Good WIfe' gives it stiff competition as "best new show", PARENTHOOD wins.

March 17, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Crazy Edna

I watched the first episode of this new series and thought it was STUPID. Have not, and will not, watch it again.

March 17, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  33. M. Fast

I'm really enjoying this show. It's a large family and they're all there for each other. Isn't that the way it's supposed to be? If they take it off the air, that would be par for the course. They leave on shows that clearly shouldn't be on and they take off a family show. Believe me I like the cop shows and CSI and NCIS, but there's room for a show like Parenthood. The casting is perfect, and so far every show has been funny, sad and touching.

March 17, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  34. noel love

This is a breath of fresh air . It is one of the very best shows in a long long time about family . It is done so well because the writing has connected with all the parents in the world . Since I am a grand parent as well it connects with grand parents being grand parents & parents watching their children become parents . I applaud the writers & producers greatly !!!
    Noel Love

March 17, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Viewer

This is ridiculous, this premise was a movie some decades ago with Steve Martin in the lead of an ensemble. IT was a funny movie, nothing all that special but the only thing it had going was its comedy. This is unoriginal, lame, and pseudo-emotional. TV is escapism or enlightenment. This is just pure commiseration.

March 17, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Juli Wilbanks

I think this show is just great–so far. It seems pretty realistic as far as job searches, raising difficult kids, etc. I like that the siblings actually get along and LOVE each other–yes there are families that are NOT totally dysfunctional out there and it's nice to see it portrayed for once.

March 17, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Mike

Not a bad show, but seemed extremely 'safe' in terms of relying on tired cliches. If having a non-diet soft drink and extra salt on the popcorn is your idea of 'edgy' evening entertainment, you'll probably like the show.

March 17, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Robert

I love this show! They may not represent or remind me of any families I knew while growing up or in my life today but to me that's not the point. Each individual plot line could be or has been me at some point in my life.

The daughter being unhappy her brother is getting the bulk of attention. That was me. The older daughter having to move home and live with her parents while she gets back on her feet. That was me. The situation of having a child with special needs is even me on both sides of the fence. I had my own special needs and now as an adult I can appreciate what my parents went through to ensure I had the best opportunities for me.

March 17, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Chelle

I liked last night's episode. The first 2 episode's were harder for me to connect to but this time I really felt like the characters were falling into shape. Well done!

March 17, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Ian

I really enjoy this show HOWEVER it's down in the ratings consecutively for 3 weeks in a row and networks can't afford productions like this unless they maintain the ratings for advertisers.

Regretfully, Parenthood may not make it to a 2nd season if the ratings continue to slide through March.

March 17, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Niki

This show is so touching for nearly every age group, it's just amazing. I remembered the original movie with Steve Martin and loved it, so when I heard there would be a television show... of course I knew I had to watch it. Well, in the first episode, I became hooked. I laughed and cried, it was just wonderful.

I used to live near all of my family, and that is what it reminded me of, and I realized how much I miss them all... and how much I need to be back home. I pray that when my children are grown we will be as close as everyone on this show. I want everyone to be there for all the holidays, the soccer games, the good news, and the bad, the first dates, and break-ups, all of it. That to me is what family is all about.

March 17, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Not me

This show is way too contrived and really doesn't show what real families are all about. The stereotypes are nauseating and way too idealized.

March 17, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Carmen Oruna

I absolutely love this show, but believe it's in the wrong time slot. Why can't they have it earlier?

March 17, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  44. sasa

Love it. It's funny and sad, unlike others which are over the top or so very dark. Its the perfect balance of a real family and life.

March 17, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  45. surprised

I didn't know what to expect with this show. The first episode seemed cluttered but I understand that they had a lot of characters to introduce. I have to say after three episodes I'm hooked.
    The casting is great. I love many of these actors. Crosby's cracks me up and his son in this show is adorable. I can't wait to see their relationship evolve further.
    This is a great show that I hope can stick around.

March 17, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Maria

I believe 'Parenthood' is one of the best shows on TV right now. Storyline, acting – everything in sync and current – really hits home. Outstanding and a pleasure to watch. I'm particularly happy to see Lauren Graham back.

March 17, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Charlie

I love this show! It's about time we had a good family show on about real family life.

March 17, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Str8 Outta Tx

i can definately relate to the kids, as i am only 19, and had problems with my parents too. though theirs arent socially considered as serious (so far), i understand how they fell. its a good show, and a welcome change from most of the b*s* that comes on t.v. now days.

March 17, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  49. viewer

As a parent of a special needs child in a regular public school, I appreciated having a story line that includes the difficulty of raising a special needs child. I think this show is reality where it hits home the most and I would like to see it continue. It could really help parents dealing with difficult situations by offering simple solutions as well as entertainment.

March 17, 2010 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  50. Jessica

I know I finished watching this episode last night, and turned to my husband and said, "I love this show." I know my husband and I agreed that we can enjoy and understand this show so much better now that we have a child of our own in our 14-month-old daughter.

This episode was just so touching and heartwarming. This is a really good family. And you're correct Skyler, the family members each have their own faults, many of which we've yet to learn about (Dad's in particular), but we still really, really like them. They're good people. People we want to like, and personally, a family I'd love to know for real.

This show makes me laugh, makes me cry, and makes me grimace. I hated the swimming moment with Sydney. I felt so bad for Julia! She just can't catch a break as a mother. I really wanted her to be able to show those other moms that she knows what she's talking about when it comes to swimming. I wanted her to have her "show-off mom moment". I want her to confront Joel and tell Buddhist-zen hot chick to back off from their family, and Joel certainly isn't helping in that area.

I happened to really like the end scene of them all in the pool. I like the song they played along with it and I loved how they all cheered on Max when he jumped off the board into the pool. It showed solidarity. They don't know what's coming for him or for their family but they're all in the deep end together. Great show! Keep it coming!

March 17, 2010 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  51. Skyler

Yes, I like this show very much. It is the total opposite of what we are seeing so much of on TV these days. This is exactly what the TV media should be showing to let viewers see that this is what a family is and should be all about. Not the bickering, flirting and other immoral things that are being flaunted about and that seems to be the trend. Parenthood is a show that has strong moral values despite their having personal faults. Parents and siblings providing strong support for each other is so admirable and touching. We need more of these on prime time. I hope this one gets renewed. Another very good show that didn't survive was Jack & Bobby.

March 17, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |