March 17th, 2010

Kathy Griffin gets political

testing captions
testing captions

Comedian Kathy Griffin is hoping to rally her large contingency of gay fans for a cause.

The star of Bravo’s “My Life on the D List” is organizing a rally at Freedom Plaza on Thursday, March 18 in Washington, D.C., to help repeal what she calls “the antiquated policy of ‘don't ask, don't tell.’”

“After traveling to Iraq and Afghanistan to perform for the troops and visiting with injured vets and their families at Walter Reed, I've gotten to meet and know many gay members of our brave military,” Griffin said in a statement. “Their stories are heartbreaking, touching, and need to be heard.”

“They cannot stand up for themselves, so it's time we stand up for them and be their voice,” she continued. “They put their lives on the line for us every day, all the while risking getting fired, discharged, losing all their benefits and maybe even worse, just for being ‘found out.’”

Griffin said she will be meeting with several legislators in D.C. throughout the week.

Filed under: Celebrities • television

1. Beth

My husband is retired Air Force and I was a Navy brat. I was flipping through my husband's medical record while we were waiting at the doctor. (We have copies of much of his military med records in his current file.) In an entry from 1981, there is a stamped entry that states, "Examinee denies history of drug or alcohol abuse and homosexuality." I laughed so hard reading that. Why didn't they just ask for a note from his mommy?
    AND WE ARE STILL talking about what consenting adults do 20 years later? If you can vote and die for your country then surely you can be gay for your country. GO KATHY!!!!

March 20, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  2. M

Hey Av8tr,

It was JUST a movie....Go Kathy...use that beautiful big mouth of yours!

March 19, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  3. jeff jackson, alabama

Gay men in the military makes about as much
    sense as having women stationed on war ships.
    And then people scratch their heads and wonder
    WHY ARE THERE SO MANY CONTROVERSIES
    IN THE MILITARY SURROUNDING THOSE TWO
    THINGS ???
    Because the people with common sense who
    came up with those rules hundreds of years
    ago were realistic !!!!!!!!!

March 19, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. GT in the IZ

@ Av8tr: Last time I checked, Kathy G and everyone else was entitled to an opinion, regardless of her not being in the Armed Forces. That's a silly little thing I like to call the First Amendment. You know, that thing that we military folks swore to uphold and defend...

And if you are in the service, no one asked you about this policy, and no one will. When you join, there are certain freedoms you sign away. I'm not free to leave Iraq. No military member is allowed to publically criticize the President.

Kudos to Kathy and all the other performers that give their time to travel to Iraq and Afghanstan to entertain the troops.

March 18, 2010 at 3:38 am | Report abuse |
  5. Carmine

Get serious, you are extremly ignorant. Clinton repealed the ban on gay in the military and implemented "Don't ask, don't tell". The majority of liberals wanted the ban gone. This was the best Clinton could do at the time.

The people who are speaking against this really don't understand what "Don't ask, don't tell" means. There are MANY gay men and women in the military. People who are over seas fighting right now. But if they are outed then they lose thier jobs!! This is so wrong. The miltiary is desperate for people to join right now and they are kicking out good soldiers. It makes no sense. 13, 500 soldiers have been discharged because of this policy. It needs to change.

March 17, 2010 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ET2

I find people like Av8tr HILARIOUS, because all the chicken hawk conservative pro-war pundits that bitch and moan haven't worn a damn uniform either but yet I'm sure they're tantamount to American heroes in his book.

At any rate, as a veteran I've served with many gays and I have many gay veterans in my family. One of them, Av8tr, was a career man as well. Gave 30+ years of his life to this great country. They've been a part of the American military as long as it's been around, fighting and dying along side straight Americans. We need to get over it, many countries have already.

March 17, 2010 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Linda

I get so tired of hearing people say that the current policy is working. No it isn't. For one thing, it is being abused by straight people in order to leave military service after the nation has spent a ridiculous amount of money teaching them foreign languages and other skills. For another, it creates a moral dilemma by forcing people to lie, skirt issues, and live with an uncomfortable facade.

Get real! Gay and Lesbian military personnel risk losing their careers if they speak out against the "Don't Ask Don't Tell" policy. Anyway, the gay community is not in a position to change the laws without the support of the straight community any more than the black community was able to pass civil rights laws without the support of the white community. CHANGE is frightening for most people whatever their persuasion but it is necessary.

There is no doubt "Don't Ask Don't Tell" will be eliminated within the foreseeable future. It is a policy based on ignorance and fear.

March 17, 2010 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Rose Marie Holt

The Commander in Chief needs to do this YESTERDAY via an order as the commander of the military.

One thing the military knows how to do is to follow orders and they will obey a command to treat homosexuals and heterosexuals equally.

If he wants a legislative solution he can work for it after the order is executed.

Demonstrably bad for the military, proven to be not an issue by many including top brass. Cant we have action on something strictly under the President's purview?

March 17, 2010 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  9. shawn

Its funny how the people who are against this have the excuse of we live in close quarters. Not every straight man wants every girl and definetly not every gay man wants every man and not every gay girl wants every girl. Get over it you homophobic biggots and let anyone who wants to serve our country do their jobs.

March 17, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ro

If being openly gay destroys our military, then it's a pretty crappy military. I don't believe the empires of Rome or Greece caved under similar pressures. It never seemed to bother Alexander the Greek any whatsoever. I, for one, believe the majority are strong enough in their convictions for their service - i.e., protecting the United States of America - not to crumble from within.

March 17, 2010 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Smoochie

If you are behind Kathy 100% that must mean she takes it both ways! BAH !!!

March 17, 2010 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Alan

THANK YOU KATHY!!!! You rock girl!

March 17, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  13. agtgemini

As a former member of the Navy ( who is gay ) ,one of my ship mates was beat to death for being gay. This was prior to Clinton's "Don't ask don't tell policy". That was 17 years ago at this point. If he (Clinton) would have allowed gays in the military at the time it would have been a disaster. This has now been on the plate for 17 years...it's time for us to grow up and evolve. If you are worried about showering with some gay guy...trust me...we are not check you out...we can see the hate...it's not a turn on.

I'm also an openly gay comedian. Stand up comedy is the one last bastion of free speech in this country. As far as Kathy Griffin goes – she is advocating for those who are stuck in a situation where they can not defend themselves for fear of retribution. I served this country so she and everyone else has the right to free speech. I wore the uniform and you can bet you kiester...no one is going to tell me to shut it down.

March 17, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  14. yiannis

kly: all of your arguments could just as easily be used to keep women–or, for that matter, straight men–out of the military. how is it that we've decided it's okay to apply them just against the lgbt community? maybe we could use the infusion of lgbt personnel to build some private showers for the heterosexuals who feel uncomfortable showering w/ their queer colleagues–though i belong to a military family and have always known servicepeople to be made of stronger mettle than that.

carmen: i don't think we should "accept" polygamists, pedaphiles or homosexuals cart blanche, but i do think, if any citizen, in the u.s., feels they are being treated unfairly and/or denied access to certain liberties, they should be heard since, y'know, that's kind of what the country is founded on. and the restriction is not limited to voicing one's sexual habits...it extends to one's emotional habits.

joe: um...the dominating, majority (not mayority) class usually is against granting rights against those they oppress. that's why we live in a republic and not a true democracy. by your logic, we'd still have institutionalized slavery b/c most white people, at the time, whole-heartedly supported it.

scott: funny that you think that, unless one has been there, one has no right to voice an opinion and, yet, here you are, voicing yours.

brian: that's one vote for a military state...anybody else?

randy: i shudder to think of the standards by which you measure success, as kathy has her own television program and performs to a sold-out crowd at madison square garden, every year.

betty: excellent point. anyway, i shower with homos all the time and find it very enjoyable.

xanatos: i don't think she sees it as a military cause, so much as a civil liberties one.

March 17, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  15. jeff n

Right on kathy.

March 17, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Craig

I am a gay man that lives in San Antonio, which has a large military population. I know nothing about the military, I am not going to say that I do. What I can verify is how many gay service men and women that I see and know. Repealing this law will do nothing more than giving our soilders a little bit of "FREEDOM", knowing that as they do their best everyday, that their job is secure. That they dont need to hide or lie about the facts of who they are. I think these people deserve this freedom. Thanks Kathy for speaking for those whos voices cannot be heard as easily as yours.

March 17, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  17. T

I served in military and being gay myself i was always worried about getting kicked out for it. I served all my time and was injured and could no longer serve. As a former soldier and a gay the 'don't ask don't tell' is a bunch of crap. I did my part and me being gay did not get in the way. Most of the people who knew me knew I was gay and did not care.

March 17, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  18. EJ

Like anyone cares what Kathy Griffin does? LOL

March 17, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  19. jeff n

Here is the problem allowing with openly gay people in the Military. Let's say I'm in a club having a drink either on or off base, and some openly gay military guy comes over to me and tries to hit on me because he like's the way I look, Now I'm not gay, so this is pretty disgusting to me, so I leave, go back to the barracks, and go to bed. when I wake in the morning I have to shower in the barrack's shower. what if that very same gay guy comes in while I'm showering? Am I supposed to be OK with that!? IF that sounds OK to you then think of it this way I like women, I would VERY MUCH like to shower with them (for the view) SO if gay guy's get to look at me naked, and I should be OK with that , then I should be allowed to shower with the women

March 17, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  20. mike

Again, I will ask..Why do Americans who happen to be gay go into the military??. It AIN"T to get date! They Love their country, they want to take advantage of the educational benefits the military offers. For the same reasons the hetros go into the military.
    Once there, if they don't know how to be professional, I am the first one to show them the door
    I managed to serve 3 years without putting my hands on any hetro.

March 17, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Linda, Mormonville, Utah

You go girl!

March 17, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Virginia

Worked with the military for many years. Military personnel do NOT speak out on policy. If asked by the president or a congressional committee, a military person can express opinions, but only if asked. I've seen foks with stars on their shoulders endure a long discussion of their personal failings for violating that dictum. Otherwise, the job of the military is to carry out their assigned mission. Anyone who thinks otherwise was never in the military.

Gays have always been in the military. Always will be. Their service to the country has earned them the right to live their private lives as they choose.

March 17, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  23. happyvet

The only people that should be concerned with what I do in bed are the people I'm in bed with. For some the military is the only job around and why should we be denied because you get a little nervous in the shower room. Sexual harassment rules still apply. Bullets don't discriminate.

March 17, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Xanatos

Here we go again. I for one, am tired of "celebraties" with absolutely NO military background taking up a military cause just because he or she has gay & lesbian fans. The charge needs to be lead by former military members not some flamboyant, loud, unknowledgeable "Z-list" actor/comedian, if you want to call her that, who is completely clueless and will probably do more damage than good. Retired gay and lesbian service men and women need to take the lead on this issue. WE have been there, WE know what it is actually like, WE LIVED IT. I can appreciate they "Hollywood" support, but I am fully capable of speaking for myself on this matter and encourage all other retired gay & lesbian service members to speak up, call, e-mail and pressure your congress men and women relentlessly on this issue. We have and continue to serve proudly and we have to take action ourselves first.

March 17, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  25. TomH

Kathy you're the best! Your gays love you through and through!

March 17, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  26. expromoguy

I agree with Carmen wholeheartedly. Ignorance of spelling and grammar is the first thread in a life tapestry of richness and wonder.

March 17, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  27. waffle

okay. Here is the issue. Homosexuals are still seen as deviants. End of that story. Having openly gay policies will most likely cause detrimental moral problems due to the close quarters that most military members share. And yes, those gay people that are deviants do ruin it for everyone else. One such individual was caught in the men's shower with a mirror doing inappropriate things. Use your imagination. These types of incidents are always in the minds of other military members and to think that we are "evolved" to the point of it not mattering, then you really are ignorant. My point is, this should not be repealed to appease the PC generation. This policy works just fine as it stands. It does not restrict gays from serving, but it does restrict the disruption that it could cause. Oh, and some of you could use some manners. Bigots come in all forms people, not just from conservatives. Anyway, have a nice day and God bless you.

March 17, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Marian

The manliest men I know in the military are ALL against 'don't ask, don't tell' they want it repealed. Real men are secure in their sexuality.

As far as Kathy goes...eek you're too thin now :(

March 17, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Kat

getserious, the policy was effected as a stopgap measure to halt the outright persecution of gays in the military...now it's time to take it to the next level and allow gays to stop hiding their identity.

March 17, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  30. PJC

Av8tr
    First, Thank you for your service. Second...SHUT UP yourself. There is freedom of speech in the country – with the exception ironically of Don't ask Don't tell – and Kathy Griffin has the right to say what every she wants. It's sad that you would attack her like that but then again....there are people out there with shallow minds who think a bullying tactic will always win the day. I say – REPEAL DON'T ASK DON't TELL!!!

March 17, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Dyan, Minneapolis, Minnesota

@Av8tr - really? The only people who have a right to voice an opinion are those that served? Wow.... I guess someone forgot to tell Dick Cheney.

March 17, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Betty

I don't understand why so many people on this comment thread are trying to argue that repealing don't ask don't tell will mean that they will have to shower with gay people. You do realize that you probably already are, right? Do you think that keeping the act active is magically going to make the gay guy next to you straight? I would think that homophobes would rather know who they have to avoid, than live in constant fear of everyone.

Also, you probably aren't as hot as you think you are. Just like you aren't attracted to every person of the opposite gender that you see, not every gay person is going to want to look at you. Sorry.

March 17, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  33. military veteran

To Brian...I agree, let the military handle this...everyone should be able to servie...no matter if they are gay...doesn't make a difference..I disagree with Kathy Griffin doing this..she knows nothing about the military..she needs to focus on other issues to help gay people, not this one... Let the miltary handle it....

March 17, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  34. military veteran

She needs to stay out of this issue.. She KNOWS NOTHING about the military. This issue needs to handled by the people who have this policy in place....let them be the ones to resend it and give everyone the chance to fight... TO Kathy Griffin: take your fight to making marriage equal for everyone, gay or straight, that is where your "so called" voice needs to be heard... STAY OUT OF THE MILITARY you have know idea what it is life to serve military... You have just lost what little respect you had...I will never watch anything with you on it again...

March 17, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Sam

The people who "want sex habits to be kept private" ( Carmen ) are usually the ones doing the most effed up stuff.

March 17, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Meghan

You said it Lisa.... WHO CARES what people do in the bedroom? Get over it, there are gay people EVERYWHERE. If they are willing to defend this country, we should let them be themselves while doing it. There should be no need to fear that you will be outed.

March 17, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Bridget

"I agree with Av8tr if you've never been there you don't have the right to say anything about it so shut up." -Scott VA

Well, Scott-VA, your rudeness aside, guess what. Most members of Congress haven't "been there" and they are the ones who get to decide whether this outdated, discriminatory, silly policy should still be in place. Think about that for a little bit before you say an American doesn't have the right to voice an opinion.

And for all of you who are saying you're afraid for your gay friends in the military, why don't you BE a friend, grow a pair, and stand up for them and protect them? Or are you afraid the neanderthals will think you're gay, too? Some friends you are.

March 17, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Randy

Hey Failed Comedian, how about we have a rally to "don't ask, don't tell" anyone that you're still trying to be in the limelight for another 15 seconds...

March 17, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  39. laura

i know plenty of gay men and woman in the military, no different then any other sraight person in the military and i think they shuld be able to be gay , every one is trying to work hard and do their job, worrying bout what people are gonna think bout yur sexuality is pointless, i say change it. "dont ask dont tell" i say who gives a crap, what you ask, telll the truth, it wont hurt you none.

March 17, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  40. MisterMig

If any troops would feel uncomfortable with another persons sexual preference, then they need to check their own security. What one person does or feels has nothing to do with them, unless they transfer the feelings over to themselves somehow. People work next to gay people every day, big deal.

March 17, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  41. jujubee6246

Go Kathy! I am 100% behind you!

March 17, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  42. PeteC

Brian,
    The Supreme court just ruled the Corporations can fund campaigns without any boundries. This means they will have an unfettered ability to shape National politics and you object to a citizen weighing in on an issue?

March 17, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  43. BarryC

The excuses for keeping the policy are ridiculous. "We are bigots and we don't want our bigoted world changed." It's simply unacceptable to discriminate against any group that 's different. The bigger problem is the "Warrior Culture" that endless wars are creating in this country; Military people thinking they have more of a right to speak than others. Well, that's simply not the case. I also know that serving doesn't automatically make anyone a 'hero'. That's a conceit for sure.

March 17, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Lisa

People are people, their sexual orientation has absolutely nothing to do with their ability to choose to serve their country, I believe living in close quarters can not be a valid excuse for the "don't ask, don't tell" agenda.

People (straight, gay or whatever) can demonstrate control in close situations and others should not have any other fears of being made to feel uncomfortable.

My father served for 22 years in the Navy, and my daughter is on active duty in the Army ........ a person's ability to defend & serve their country has NOTHING to do with what they do "at night in the dark"

March 17, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Former FMF Corpsman

GO Kathy!!! I was in the navy and I worked with a lot of gay military personnel and they never affected our mission. I actually have very close gay friend who died in Afghanistan back in 2008 serving for his country and if this law gets repealed I know he would be very happy. It was a sad part of my life and I do believe they should repeal this law. I agree with a lot of you who support this.

March 17, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Linda

Apologies to Ms. Griffin for having misspelled her name.

March 17, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  47. PeteC

Av8t and Scott from Va certainly have the right to their opinions. Thank God they are just that opinions. The truth is that ALL Americans have the right of free speech. If someone can't see the UnAmerican nature of the "witchhunt" against gays then they are simply bigots. No one or no thing will change these people. They read the bible and the Constitution but they are looking for hate. For a way to feel superior. Unfortunately for them their very quest instead makes them patently inferior.

March 17, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Linda

In February 2010, the top General in Iraq went gone on record as saying, "my opinion is everyone should be allowed to serve, as long as we're still able to fight our wars and we're able to have forces that are capable of doing whatever we're asked to do." In addition to Gen. Odierno, more than 100 retired Admirals and Generals have come out in support of doing away with "Don't Ask Don't Tell." These officers wrote, "As is the case with Great Britain, Israel, and other nations that allow gays and lesbians to serve openly, our service members are professionals who are able to work together effectively despite differences in race, gender, religion, and sexuality." Obviously, Av8tr and Scot-VA must feel that our service members aren't as professional as the service members in other countries. Cheers to Kathy Griffen! It's good to know that people are listening to these bright open-minded military men and are willing to give it more than lip service.

March 17, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Get serious

wow this is pretty funny...Bill Clinton began this policy and now all you liberals want to repeal it.... thanks for making me laugh....

March 17, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Brian

Let the military and our elected officials take care of this issue. We don't need a celebrity butting their noses in this.

March 17, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Scott - VA

I agree with Av8tr if you've never been there you don't have the right to say anything about it so shut up. Listen closely to what afvoice is trying to warn you about. I have friends in the military that are gay and I don't want to see anything happen to them. I also think that we're looking at the destruction of our military from within if that happens. Just a thought. I've been there. Leave it alone.

March 17, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Joe

Why not leave the Armed Forces alone, the mayority that we are in it are against it, we live in close contact, and we have to trust each other, I can just see the lawsuits and complains that"I was descriminated for homosexual"excuse all over like in the civilian world and what about aids , It is wrong that idiots that do not risks their life want to ruin ours.

March 17, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Julia Nunn

Right on Diva, I was going to point out the same thing to Kly; just because a gay man showers with you doesn't mean he's fantasizing about you!
    As for Av8tr, you've had enough dust kicked at you, but you didn't think long enough before responding. The military does not make the policies for the military, it's created by a bunch of Washington politicos and always has been. Any American has the right to speak out against what they believe is wrong and unjust. That is what is so important about living here, and whether you agree with her or not she still has the right to protest this antiquated policy.

March 17, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Carmen

The homosexual and Liberal groups and grupies are sent to ruin everybody else life,proms,churches,parochial schools, and now the Armed Forces, why not accept also poligamists,pedophilia,etc etc.
    The mayority we want sex habits to be kept private, I am not interested to accept what the sex crazy people want to impose.
    I like millions to not patronize this radical people, Americans are dying in the war lets respect them and not have more Jane Fondas,it is insulting to them .

March 17, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  55. kly

Well, Head Diva in Charge, I would mind less bunking with a few gay men as I would bunking with a few gay women, as I am female. My point being, assuming you're a woman by your screenname, would you like showering with a few straight men? If you are subjecting straight women to shower with gay women, wouldn't it be the same? Should that not be a consideration, or are only the rights of the gays being considered? Trust me, I knew every person in the barricks that was gay, as did everyone else. My best friend (at the time and all through high school), who still serves as a national guardsman, is a lesbian. More power to her. My point is that there are other things to consider than just the right to live openly gay. Are we going to give honorable discharges to all hetrosexuals that do not choose to serve/live with gays, as they enlisted at a time when being gay in the military is not allowed. Or, are we going to force them to serve out their entire enlistment in a environment they feel is "sexually" hostile. This argument can play out both ways. It's not as cut and dry as most of us would like to believe.

March 17, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Head Diva In Charge

As far as I am concerned, you if you a brave enough to put on a military uniform I don't care if your black, white, gay, or straight. It's a silly law meant to discourage would be members of the military from enlisting.
    kly, you must remember, just because they don't come out of the closet doesn't mean they are not gay. You most likely did shower, sleep with, and bunk with a few gay men. It really shouldn't make any difference.

March 17, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Bill - Los Angeles CA

This is an outdated policy and it is time to get rid of it...

March 17, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  58. afvoice

I've been in the Air Force for almost 7 years now and i have a few friends in the military who are gay. If the "don't ask don't tel"l rule is repealed then i would fear for my friends. I'm all for gay rights but in the military community homosexuality just isn't excepted the way that it should be. Repealing this rule would open the door to many problems. There are many ignorant, immature homophobic members in the military who would make openly gay military members lives a living hell. While i would love to see my friends not have to hide who they are, and be able to marry who they want to and still get the full benefits they deserve; in the long run i think it just better left the way it is.

March 17, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  59. kly

I'm also a military vet and having lived in the close confines of barrack life, where 4-5 soldiers were expected to shower together, dress together, etc., I do feel that much consideration needs to be given to both sides of this argument. I have many gay friends and a gay sister and certainly appreciate their right to openly live their lives. But please let's not compare the military to any other "regular job." Most of us civilians enjoy the privacy of our own homes, bathrooms, etc. Military personnel do not always have this luxury. Until you have lived this life, day in and day out, you just don't understand "military life."

March 17, 2010 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  60. Sam

I'm a retired military officer (23 years) and I think it's high time we repealed the "don't ask, don't tell" policy. I might have opposed a repeal 10 or 15 years ago for the sake of not creating dissention inthe ranks but I think society and the military have both evolved to the point where most of us, with the possible exception of "Av8tr" and a few like-minded individuals, are more tolerant of gay men and women in the ranks.

And although I personally can't stand Kathy Griffin, she has as much right as anyone to speak her opinion on the subject. Contrary to what "Av8tr" happens to believe, one does not have to wear a uniform to have an opinion on the subject nor does the fact that somebody wears one make their opinion any more valid than anyone else's.

March 17, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  61. Adam

Repeal it thats fine but you are still held to the same standards as all other men in women in the armed forces. You tow the same line and follow the same orders nothing would change. But it makes people feel all warm and fuzzy because they "did something". It doesnt matter what your sexual prefrence is you still have to do the same thing as everyone else.

March 17, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  62. Str8 Outta Tx

19/m/tx
    i think what she is doing is pretty brave since the majority of our society is either homophobic, or pretending to be so their cover wont be blown. .i used to be the same way. i was pretty bad about it, and it wasnt really because i hated them. it was more because i thought that is what my homeboys would like or whatever. now however, i know many homosexual people, and for the majority of them, the only difference between us is the sexual preference. that is some bold s*** Kathy, and you have my respect for it.

March 17, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  63. Eric Westby

@ Av8tr, I think you're confused. If Ms. Griffin were to join the military, then should would *forfeit* her right to speak out publicly about the policy. As I'm sure you are aware, the military strongly objects to soldiers publicly advocating for political causes. And the gay soldiers themselves who want the policy to change are obviously unable to advocate for it, because of the Catch-22 involved: if they advocate for it, they are de facto coming out, and their careers are ruined.

It's her status as an American that gives her the right to express a view on the policy, not whether or not she is in the service. You have it exactly wrong.

We don't live in the world of "Starship Troopers" quite yet.

March 17, 2010 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  64. Vet in Midwest

It's time to repeal it. There are decorated war time pilots getting discharged because of their private life. It's rediculous.

Come on Obama, get this done already. I put a 'Veterans for Obama' bumpersticker on my car because you seemed like you wanted to get things done. I've been a little disappointed that you ran against the Republicans and Bush, but then wanted to include them on everything. That's not what most Democrats wanted. We want a Democratic agenda passed. You don't ask the opposing football team to help you score a touchdown, do you?

GET IT DONE!

March 17, 2010 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  65. SYSPROG

WOW Av8tr! I guess if you 'don't put on a uniform' somehow you aren't AMERICAN enough to have an opinion...you might want to talk to some of your CONGRESSCRITTERS about that...not many of THEM wore a uniform and they are VOTING on these outmoded laws....

March 17, 2010 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  66. Lynne

Way to go Kathy. Speak loud. As for you AvStr, you are obviously a bigot and homophobe. Try working in the real world, they are out and sitting right next to you!

March 17, 2010 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  67. urst00pid

Av8tr, let me call you a waaaaambulance.

March 17, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  68. Walter

It's a great thing she is doing! This kind of prejudice needs to be stopped!

March 17, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  69. Ro

@Av8tr – The great thing about the US is that Kathy Griffin doesn't have to wear a uniform to stand up for the gay rights of our service men and women. So you and your homo-phobic self will just have to tolerate her. Go Kathy!

March 17, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  70. Ranger's son

Av8tr, President Truman didn't take a vote of the military whether to desegregate or not, he told the military to desegregate. As for Kathy’s right to express her view being dependent upon whether she wears a uniform or not. Clearly we know that political speech is a fundamental right that ALL Americans have, not only those in the military. As an commissioned officer, I would have hoped you knew these facts.

March 17, 2010 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  71. Sandy

It needs to be repealed. NOW!

I was in the military as well and it is a USELESS law that is hurting our military. I served with others that were gay and we knew they were and didn't affect any performance.

The ONLY people, especially military, that are against this are those that ARE NOT SECURE about their sexuality. They are not afraid it will degrade the ability of the military to perform its duties. They are afraid they themselves might be gay and might be tempted.

March 17, 2010 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  72. Jeffrey Noncitizen Henson

I am shamed of a man who enlisted to protect the freedoms of all americans, standing up for don't ask don't tell.

March 17, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  73. Av8tr

When Kathy Griffin signs up and puts on a uniform then she has the right express a vie on the policy. Until then Shut up!

As a career military man no one has asked me what I think of repealing "don't ask don't tell. DON'T repeal it.

March 17, 2010 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  74. D'Anne

Good for you Kathy!!! I am 100% behind you!!!!!!!!!!!

March 17, 2010 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |