March 17th, 2010

Jimmy Kimmel and David Letterman: Man, we miss the Late Night Wars

Jimmy Kimmel was on the other side of the desk last night as a guest on "The Late Show with David Letterman," and he spent part of it reminiscing with Letterman about the good ol' days, back in January, 2010, when Leno was the butt of Letterman and Kimmel's jokes and the only loser in all of it was NBC.

From one comedian to another, Letterman told Kimmel how much he truly enjoyed his participation in the Late Night Wars, to which Kimmel fired back, "yeah, thanks for inviting me to your Superbowl party."

Yes, that Superbowl spot with Letterman, Jay Leno and Oprah Winfrey snug on a sofa left Kimmel as the odd man out, and seemed to squash the Leno cracks in the late night monologues.

"I wanted to keep it going – we had him, we were drowning him, and then you throw a lifesaver to him during the Superbowl!" Kimmel grumbled to Letterman.

Kimmel, who did an entire show dressed as Leno, chin and all, had been particularly brutal when he was invited to do Leno's "10 at 10" segment on the now defunct "Jay Leno Show."

"He asked me ten questions about nothing and I asked him ten questions about stealing Conan’s job from him," Kimmel said, to which Letterman responded that it was all in good fun.

"It was funny and nobody got hurt," he said. "The only people that got hurt was NBC, and they lost hundreds of millions of dollars. We don’t care about NBC. Jay didn’t get hurt, you didn’t get hurt, Conan didn’t get hurt, I certainly didn’t get hurt – it was a lot of fun."

Kimmel was doubtful that Conan O'Brien would term losing his job "fun," and noted that Leno hadn't exactly laughed it off either.

"He went on 'Oprah' and said I sucker-punched him…and I didn’t feel like I did," Kimmel said. "But then I looked it up in the dictionary and it turns out I did."

Still, Letterman said, it was all in jest.

"This was like how it used to be," the "Late Show" host said, "when we would all be at The Comedy Store" and we were insulting and attacking one another and we couldn’t have had a better time...to me that’s what it was reminiscent of."

Yeah, Kimmel agreed. "It was a lot of fun...I'm going to miss it, I really am."

Filed under: Celebrities • Late Night comedy • television

1. Danika Schlessman

Acidophilus is great because it helps balance the flora of bacteria in our bodies. *

Most up to date blog post from our new web blog

October 30, 2012 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  2. acidophilus benefits

Someone essentially lend a hand to make critically articles I'd state. That is the first time I frequented your website page and to this point? I surprised with the analysis you made to make this actual put up amazing. Fantastic job!

April 29, 2012 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Michael

Heroes

March 20, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Bob

Kimmel is not funny, does not have talent and continues to show he has no class but a huge ego – why on earth would he be invited on the superbowl commercial?? He is so not in that league!!
    Craig is so much better. ABC: wake up and get rid of Kimmel!
    Both Dave and Jay are good and know what's entertaining and poor Conan just couldn't attract the audience – he should have stayed in late, late nite – even he was better than Kimmel ....but most anyone is.

March 20, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Theresa

I saw the 10 questions with Leno and Kimmel- Kimmel was a jerk. Conan didn't have the ratings so why is he whining about it all? Who stays on television if they can't get good ratings?

March 18, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Tiff

Leno is a jerk and NBC are money-hungry bullies. I always preferred Letterman and Conan, and was also quite thrilled when Conan took Jay's spot because then I'd never have to be torn every night between Craig and Conan. I actually don't even think I watch anything on NBC anymore. They obviously don't treat their employees with real respect, and granted, Conan and his crew were given quite the sum of money...but NBC (and Leno) still showed their colors, and they're not pretty and definitely nothing I want to support. At least Conan held some integrity in the deal. His tour that he's doing now is for his out of work writers, and if I heard correctly, he's not getting any money for the tour...his writers are. Nice!

March 18, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Feeniegal

I love David and want to have his children!! Had a crush on him since I was a kid..for some reason :)

March 18, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. laura

I say we should all watch Craig Ferguson...NOW HE is one funny guy!

March 18, 2010 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  9. B

Kimmel's show is the funniest late night talk show out there. Anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot.
    Leno is about as funny as a tooth cleaning.

March 18, 2010 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  10. Virginia

I never liked Kimmel. He seems too snarky to me. Things are back where they belong; Leno on top, Letterman second and Kimmel in third place where he belongs and always will be. If Conan never comes back to TV, it won't bother me.

March 18, 2010 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  11. KidZoloft

Leno is for the unwashed masses.
    Letterman is for the boomers
    Conan & Kimmel are for those who like intelligent edgy humor..

March 18, 2010 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  12. keith

"Rick from Oak Forest" has it dead-on.

Co-Co The Spinning Clown brought this upon himself and now blames Leno for it. What a whiner!

March 18, 2010 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  13. Mikey

These guys are insult comics. If they have any resentment towards Leno, why wouldn't they be open about it?

If Letterman can come out and admit infidelity on air, why wouldn't he admit to disdain for Leno?

Absolutely hilarious to read comments about who likes who and what people are thinking.

March 18, 2010 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  14. James

Jack, your post was both ignorant and unnecessary.

How are you credible to judge what people are thinking underneath the surface? Letterman and Kimmel "ACT", "playing nice" and "backing off"? Leno a sleaze?

Someone direct me to the college course that gives me the skills to mind read and judge people I don't know. *rolls eyes*

March 18, 2010 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  15. Sevinthseal

Letterman rules.

March 18, 2010 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  16. Debulator

Kimmel revealed in his latest sit down with Letterman that he has little class. He seems to have some sick desire to want to hurt Leno. Why??? What did Leno do to him??? I would like to see both Kimmel and Letterman let this late night nonesense go and move forward with their lives, and for heavens sake allow Jay Leno to live his life in peace.

March 18, 2010 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  17. llpe33

NBC set up Conan to fail. I don't think it was intentional, but they made it difficult for him to succeed. Instead of just giving him the Tonight's show and letting people get used to him (and letting him work his way back into the ratings after the Letterman sex scandal was grabbing the late night ratings), the put on Jay an hour and a half before his show.

So, if you liked Jay, you just watched the 10 pm show and went to bed. Why stay up and watch the new guy when you can get your fix that much earlier? Conan was forced to compete not only with Letterman and Kimmel (to an extent), he also had to compete with the guy he was supposed to replace. They hedged their bets with Conan and were too afraid to let Leno walk and go to another network. All of this worked against Conan.

I would have had HUGE respect for Leno if he had just walked away. Hearing his justification about his staff being out of work though was garbage. Most of them have made a lot of money over nearly two decades on the top rated late night show, they'd find work. What about Conan's staff who all relocated to CA from NY? (I know they were compensated, but that's a huge life change for a seven month job...as in not just about money.) What about all of the actors, writers, and staffs of the shows that weren't developed, renewed, or put on the back burner. Some shows were even canceled to give him that 10 pm time slot.

Clearly none of this is particularly important, but it's nice to have new blood. Change is good. It would be nice if Leno and Letterman passed the baton to the next generation. Carson had an unusually long run, it should not be the new standard. My current favorite is Ferguson, followed by Conan and Letterman. Generally, however, I'll watch the Daily Show and the Colbert Report if I'm up that late and not working.

March 18, 2010 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  18. Ravi

Guess who is having the last laugh in the rating war after all – Leno!

March 18, 2010 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
  19. Billy K

Why would Kimmell be invited to the Superbowl commercial? Leno, Letterman and Oprah are TV icons, Kimmell is a guy who was in the right place at the right time when ABC said "Hey, we should have a late night show". Please, equading yourself to these broadcast legends is not only laughable, but irresponsible. Get over yourself Kimmell, you were funnier on the "Man Show".

March 18, 2010 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
  20. Mike

Jay Leno got what all three of the other talk show losers wanted and can't have ! Jay Job!!!!

March 18, 2010 at 6:17 am | Report abuse |
  21. cdf

Leno is a nauseating hack .

March 18, 2010 at 5:14 am | Report abuse |
  22. lance corporal

leno sucks always has, letterman was good but has just gotten old, kimmel is obnoxious and not my taste at all, craig is pretty good, connan was OK but in general all of these shows are just too safe, kinda stale and not worth the time for anyone who has things to do, even just for wind the day down type of viewing, boring blech, maybe it's the fault of the producers and a too short leash but I no longer watch late nite TV of this sort and I used to

March 18, 2010 at 5:04 am | Report abuse |
  23. bobhug

all three should retire. need new faces on late nights shows....

March 18, 2010 at 4:53 am | Report abuse |
  24. zuhoor

Kimmel is not funny nor entertaining. He should quietly disappear and put himself out of our misery. Letterman lives. So does Leno.
    Conan? He should retire to some desert isle with his millions.
    NBC? It should fire Zucker.

March 18, 2010 at 3:43 am | Report abuse |
  25. fred college

Is it me, or does Kimmel look like he's a zombie? Probably stays up all night planning what he's gonna do when his irrelevant show gets canceled before the end of the year.

March 18, 2010 at 3:34 am | Report abuse |
  26. greenteagod

Leno has never been funny. Long live Craig!

March 18, 2010 at 3:32 am | Report abuse |
  27. Bill

Leno is the funniest, Letterman is funny, but too political, you need to make fun of both parties or you alienate 1/2 your audience. Having said that, Conan did get a raw deal, I hope another network picks him up and that he kicks butt.....

March 18, 2010 at 2:54 am | Report abuse |
  28. Bronx1700

Kimmel blows, he's not near Letterman or Leno, and not even Conan O'Brien, and Conan suc ks. What a slime ball Kimmel is for "suc ker punching" Leno. Classless loser.

March 18, 2010 at 2:49 am | Report abuse |
  29. Carlos

Kimmel tries to portrait himself as one of the big boys. No, he is not. He is funny...sometimes. Most of the times he is boring. He is lucky he found the Mexican, he is the funny one not Jimmy. Also, what he did to Leno in his own show was terrible. He ambushed him badly; that shows that he is a person who can not be trusted. Grow up, Jimmy.

March 18, 2010 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  30. Springtime

Count me in as a Leno supporter. Conan and Kimmel are not funny. I believe Jon Stewart is more likely a future host of The Tonight Show when Leno voluntarily retires. He is far more intelligent and quick like Johnny Carson than Conan. And he brings a built-in audience with him.

March 18, 2010 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  31. Tim

Dudes... Leno threw Kimmel a softball on purpose to steal viewers away from Conan. The subsequent hit in market share along with the growing pains of a new host bolstered that cocksuckers cause. Leno propped him up on purpose which is why he is laying down like a dog. Conan got screwed and it was well orchestrated. It was a new age mob hit.

March 17, 2010 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  32. jayleno

thanks for support, but let's face it. I'm an awful comedian, and an even worse human being. thank god for all you dumb, fat, midwesterners for loving me.

March 17, 2010 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Oh Please!!

Kimmel is a much better comedian than Letterman and Leno!! He is the "BIG BOY IN THE BIG LEAGUE." Leno needs to hang it up!! He's not funny!! He reads his lines from a card. Just like Sara Palin. Oh wait, that's right, she rights her lines on her HAND!! I like Letterman because he makes fun of Leno and Palin!!
    Kimmel and Conan ARE the Big Boys!! They are truly the best comedians. Hope to see Conan back SOON!!!

March 17, 2010 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  34. CP

Leno is a scumbag. Does anyone remember how he started beating Letterman in the ratings? By capitalizing on the OJ Simpson trial (do the Dancing Itos ring a bell)? Meanwhile Letteman went on the air and stated that he absolutely would not be talking about it, out of respect for the dead. So Leno climbs to the top on murder victims' corpses, and he's some kind of folk hero? Only in America.

Just for the record, Carson wanted Letterman to succeed him, NOT Leno. Not to mention ABC offered Letterman Ted Koppel's Nightline spot and Letterman turned it down out of respect for Koppel. Not hard to see who the better man is.

March 17, 2010 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  35. P

Jay Leno is a no-talent hack. Ooooh, guess we can look forward to more Jay on the streets and other lame comedic bits. If Jay didn't want to leave the Tonight Show so badly, why didn't he grow a backbone and SAY SO to the network?!? He had the highest ratings- why not threaten to go to another network? Letting a network run roughshod over you isn't being a "team player," its just stupid. He doesn't respect the Tonight Show franchise, since he was willing to let Conan's version of it become The Tomorrow Show (12:05? Seriously?!?). And all of Jay's "I only took it back to keep my staff employed" crap is just rhetoric to make himself look good. He doesn't seem to have a problem with Conan's staff being unemployed, and Kevin Eubanks isn't going to be on with him much longer. I'm SURE that Leno fought for him though... *rolls eyes*

March 17, 2010 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Cookie from Philly

as far as i am concerned- Kimmel is a schmuck- he put the nail in his own coffin- how disrespectful- he certainly showed all of us – that He more than any-one truly is lacking in the Humor dept. – good news- he is no threat to the seasoned comic intelligence of Leno! go on Kimmel- you are NEXT- learn how to respect the folks that have created your pissy path- actually good bye- you do not deserve the show you are on! i used to somehow find something charming about you- but once you suckered punched- Jay- it was all on you=you are the Sucker- i think you better find a spot on the ground & get on your knees to clean it up!

March 17, 2010 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  37. mushymushroom

That Leno impression Kimmel did was hilarious. I thought was Kimmel did in the 10@10 (if it's called that way) was just right. Leno deserved that beating.

March 17, 2010 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Joelan3

Leno who? Every time I get stuck at my moms when visiting I have to sit and watch Jay Leno. The show is for 80 year old thinking people. no edge just boring bits that gets passed off as comedy. I'm thankful I have the right to not put on NBC on M-F at 11:35. Unfortunately I've seen worse shows stay on the air. Kimmel is alright, he's the kid who has to say what everyone else is thinking.

March 17, 2010 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Tony G

I agree with "Jim in Georgia". All the old hosts had guest host when they were on vacation (Johnny, Merv, etc.). If it wasn't for the guest host Leno & Letterman would still be working at Chuckles and Uncle Funny's. The point of the late night show is that the comedy is relevant. Who wants to see a rerun from 3-4 weeks ago with some actor promoting a movie that is not even in the theater anymore? And how relevant is a monologue with meaningless old jokes? The monologue is the best part of the late night because it deals with today's headlines. Bring back the guest host on late night and stop with the reruns. For God’s sake, even wrestling, like the “sports entertainment” or not has new shows every week.

March 17, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Bianca

Conan who? I never thought that guy was funny. I knew his show would fail. He may be a very nice guy, but his elementary school humor was not for me.

I like Kimmel's humor better than Letterman's, and the genuinely funniest of the all is Craig. Now that guy is funny!!! He should swap places with Letterman.

March 17, 2010 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Jack

cmon, it doesn't take much to stand there and read a few jokes off the teleprompter, then sit down and talk to people for 40 minutes. They're all the same. It just depends on which personality you like best. Jay is no better than Letterman, and vise versa. They get you people to watch and they both rake in the millions. I stopped watching regular TV 5 years ago. Sometimes I might check out a show here and there. But it's all crap mostly.

March 17, 2010 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  42. don diego de la vega

Yes, If Johnny carson was still around and in his prime, none of these guys would have jobs except for letterman on the late show... Johnny just destroyed any competition for thirty years. I was not his generation but have to hand it to him, He was THE man of the late night....

March 17, 2010 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  43. laura TJ

Jimmy keeps it real. Letterman is backing away–he'll probably retire soon. Conan make a come back soon !!!!

March 17, 2010 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Gillian

Never have liked Kimmel. I've always felt he must have had some connections to get where he is.

Of Note: Conan is the reason Conan is out of a job. When you're good you don't get canceled. Not that I disliked Conan. I didn't. The Tonight Show was just the wrong fourm for him. Anybody should have seen that coming.

March 17, 2010 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  45. ga

Conan was a loser. The ratings were bad, and that's why Leno is back. I, like alot of people tried to watch Conan, but all I could hear was Andy Richter, laughing up Conan's ass. It would have helped if Conan had said something funny, once in awhile.

March 17, 2010 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Judy T

Kimmel is not funny, talented or remotely nice looking. Why is he even on TV? The only reason he is going after Leno is to get some attention. What a bore!!

March 17, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Josh

I like Kimmel a lot more since he made so much fun of Leno. Leno sucks. It's a sad commentary on the taste of mainstream America that Leno is so popular.

March 17, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  48. The Mayfest

Leno is not funny. Letterman is and always will be the best. Kimmel is bitter, but he's funny.

Leno just has no skills at all. His show is terrible.

March 17, 2010 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Nancy in Savannah, Ga.

I don't feel that verbally attacking another person is humorous. It is obvious that Letterman and Kimmel are jealous of Jay Leno. Kimmel and Letterman aren't funny due to their dark sides and personal insecurities. They are just "beating a dead horse" by continuing to berate Jay over the recent late night wars. I am not a big fan of Conan either; but at least he has moved on. Kimmel nor Letterman are in any position to speak ill of anyone else. They are both pathetic in my book. Leno continues to be a class act; and he is laughing at all of them behind their backs. Way to go, Jay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 17, 2010 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Mia

Actually that's not quite true dear. Leno did say some time ago, he would retire in 4 years and not too long after that's when they signed Conan to replace him. Then when 4 years came and went, he suddenly decided he didn't want to retire. So yes, at one point he DID want to leave the show, stop providing false information.

Actually Conan had the same amount of ratings as Leno, its just that he wasn't gaining anymore. He wasn't losing any but he wasn't gaining any more either. In 7 months, in today's day and age, OF COURSE he wasn't going to reach the ratings NBC wanted. Obviously Leno didn't either.

It funny how people let their minds get clouded with what they want to believe when they pick favorites. Not surprising though, especially in North America

March 17, 2010 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Niki in Ok

Late night talk shows are going the way of the dinosaurs. Its a waste of time in my opinion. Get rid of them all and then we dont have to worry about this petty schoolyard fighting amongst the little boys.

March 17, 2010 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  52. fred college

Kimmel's career is almost over. He should be hosting game shows online. He's ugly, totally married to reading jokes off his teleprompter and I've heard from several ex employees he's a cheap nightmare to work for.

Do the right thing and cancel this half talent, ABC!

March 17, 2010 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Tube

Leno is a boring old fart..as Dave said, comics will joke each other all day. If you can't handle it, don't cry to Oprah

March 17, 2010 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Yzma

The only thing funny on Kimmel's show: Silverman's Matt Damon bit. I'm still singing, "...on a towel by the door...." Ah, good times. Conan should get Kimmel's spot.

March 17, 2010 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Brad

Jack Paar, oh yaaaaaaa!!

March 17, 2010 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Jim

Bring back Merv. Better yet Mike Douglas or maybe Joey Bishop. You kids and your Lettermans and Conemans!

March 17, 2010 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Kevin

I still don't know why Letterman did that commercial. It did nothing to benefit his show. It made Jay look like a decent guy at a time when Jay was being just slimey. Why help a guy that you're going to be competing against?

I love Kimmel, the only original guy on Late Night now that Conan is gone. Letterman mails it in when he's not interested, and Leno is so scripted, he has no concept of ad-libbing. For all the Kimmel skits that bomb, he has some really great ones. On top of that, he doesn't do the schmultzy Hollywood thing where he pretends to like someone when he doesn't. He's interesting. The only time that lame Leno 10-at-10 bit was interesting was when Jimmy torpedoed it.

March 17, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  58. dave

Leno deserved every shot Kimmel gave him.

March 17, 2010 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Rick from Oak Forest

First ... If Conan didn't stink in Leno's slot there wouldn't have been a decision for Leno to even make regarding coming back or not.

Simple FACT!

Conan just couldn't get it done.

So stop making Conan out to be a "victim" when he was the source of the problem.

And don't tell me for one moment that Conan wouldn't have done the same damn thing if the situation were reversed. Because unless you've invented time travel and can construct an alternate reality, you'll never know.

Kimmel never was funny, needed cliche macho man-show garbage to attract viewers, and is so out of his league vs Leno, Letterman and Craig Ferguson ... it's sick!

No wonder he's got narcolepsy. He even puts HIMSELF to sleep.

March 17, 2010 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  60. David Geary

Why wouldn't they be afraid of competition, remember how Johnny Carson was rewarded for having guest hosts while he was on vacation? Jay Leno's agent forced him off of his own show. Can't imagine why no one would put themselves in that spot again...

March 17, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  61. gordon

Why does Kimmel think he is in the same league as lettermen and leno..he is not funny at all....

March 17, 2010 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Jim in Georgia

Do you remember when Johnny Carson would go on vacation. He always had a new comic replace him for the week. That's how we met Jay and David and a lot of other funny guys. These guys only show the "best" of themselves. I think they are afraid of any competition. There will never be another Johnny Carson.

March 17, 2010 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  63. hope

Watched Kimmel once in a while until he started his junk about Leno.
    I am sure I am not the only one that refuses to watch Kimmel anymore
    What people dont get is Leno never wanted to leave his show but
    was forced to by NBC.
    And the talk about him getting his show back. Hmmm did anyone
    stop to think, all these people cheering for Conan NOW, where were
    they during ratings ?? If he was so popular he would still be doing the show at 11:30

March 17, 2010 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Lou

Why don't you show a video? The tone was not as described in this lame, biased report.

March 17, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Amy

Kimmel was AWESOME on the Leno 10 in 10! I loved it!!! Leno stole Conan's job and he deserves everything bad that comes his way. Kimmel isn't being a jerk at all- he's a comedian and that's what comedians do. So go for it Jimmy:)
    GO TEAM COCO

March 17, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  66. rotohead1871

Leno is smart, a good worker and a great gofer. NBC totally boxed him in on giving up the tonight show 5 years ago. Being a good "team player" he agreed, then time came and he just didnt want to leave, so he and NBC cooked up the "preempt the tonight show show" Leno saw an "in" and NBC saw "cheap to produce" BUT they just couldnt get conan to play on the re -script,
    again leno just really didnt want to go away so here we are at today II. conan is actually much more entertaining and capable at the desk, and can hold a show more like the old carson tonight, wheras leno has to make it like a circus to keep people watching. (his las vegas side)
    cant wait for conan to return...will never watch another leno..just tooooo remedial

have fun!!

March 17, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Hedgie

"Plain and Simple", Leno is the worst host ever, worse than Sajak and Chevy. He isn't even close to Letterman and Conan. Fortunately for him, there are a LOT of slack-jawed yolkels who think he's funny when he's actually quite sad.

March 17, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Sam

What exactly is Leno the best at? The only things that come to mind are being kniving and reading cheesy jokes off of cue cards that other people wrote. Of course, his chin has it's own gravitational pull, so he's got that going for him.

March 17, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  69. gogo coco

jay leno is lame. only funny if you are middle-aged, deaf or have the sense of humor of a librarian.

March 17, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Jack

They're being too nice & backing off, IMO.

Kimmel sucker-punching Leno? I don't think so. What did Leno expect? I'll tell you: he thought he could bring on Kimmel to 10@10 (so he didn't seem to be backing down), yet manage to strategically avoid the elephant in the room, thereby diffusing the attention from his selfish behavior. Leno wanted to acknowlege the reason he had Kimmel on as a guest (his "cruel imitation" of Leno) yet act oblivous to the REASON why Kimmel did the impresonation. Then, once the impersonation was stripped of its motivation, Leno would move on to the normal inane, banal questions about pranks & junk food.

Kimmel wouldn't play ball, & Leno calls it "a sucker punch." As Kimmel said, since when is going on a comedy show & telling jokes consider a sucker punch? And even if Leno truly wasn't expecting it, spar back with him! Instead, he plays the victim to Oprah & acts like we should admire his magnanimous, egoless self because he *didn't* edit the entire piece!

Leno is a sleaze, with no dignity, scruples, or graciousness. These guys should both go at him w/ both guns blazing. They shouldn't even ACT like "it's all in good fun" or jest. No, it's not. Leno is not respected by his peers (fellow hosts & comics) and he should be held accountable for the disgusting way he has behaved, throughout his career & particularly within the last few months.

March 17, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  71. TeamLeno

Jimmy Kimmel needs to shut his mouth before he loses HIS job.

March 17, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  72. zoomer

Letterman is the BEST, he has the most style, the most class, and the most honesty about his material..... and b4 you get dumb, I am being specific to late night tv.

March 17, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  73. b

Yeah, c baker... he finally made that 10 at 10 funny, something only a rookie could do.

March 17, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Jason

Kimmel is the best of the three. He's just naturally funny, while the other 'big boys' have to act quarky or rely on a monologue. Comedians are supposed to make fun of people. It's their job and fun to watch. If you can't take being belittled, don't put yourself out there.

March 17, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Joni

All I know is that I miss "The Man Show"!!!!!!!!!

March 17, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  76. larrybob

I like all three of these guys, but I've always preferred Kimmel's sense of irreverence...miss " The Man Show" a lot, which probably speaks volumes about me.

March 17, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  77. RoxMarie

Jay Leno is the best out there – plain and simple. These other jerks need to get over it.

March 17, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Geoff Day

Jimmy who ?

March 17, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  79. larkwoodgirl

I like Jimmy Kimmel, I really do. But, in my opinion, he is being a real jerk about this.

March 17, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  80. teamcoco

I have to admit that Leno got Letterman back when he said:

"...even Letterman is taking a shot at me, which is weird...usually he takes shots at his interns."

March 17, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  81. c baker

Kimmel has blood dripping down the sides of his mouth. I saw him on Leno's 10 and 10 and it was a sucker punch – Kimmel shouldn't pretend to be in the same league as Leno and Letterman – it's awkward when he tries to play ball with the big boys – makes me go ooohhh yuk.

March 17, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |