March 17th, 2010

'Idol' makes its first cut

testing captions
testing captions

!!! You know the drill: Spoilers ahead. If you don't want to know what happens on "Idol" tonight, STOP READING NOW. !!!

9:56 p.m. - Paige and Lacey await their fate. So sad that they are roommates. That's got to be rough.

After the vote, the person in danger is Lacey, who must sing for a possible save. Good call between the two, America. Paige sang with no voice.

Lacey sings "The Story" and the judges huddle like they are really discussing something other than where they are going to eat tonight. No way they are throwing away that "Judges Save" this early. Lacey sang her little heart out, but they are not gonna save her. I'm not at all surprised and Lacey doesn't appear to be either. Poor Katie looks a mess, though.

9:48 p.m. - Someone please explain to me why Ke$ha has a career in the music industry? She "performs" (I guess) her new song "Blah, Blah, Blah" and for half a second I think one of the dudes on stage with her is Jason Bateman.

Hang it up, Ke$ha. Lady GaGa has been there, done that and done it ever so much better.

9:36 p.m.- We are now on to the bottom row of contestants and Didi Benami is up first. For some reason, I could so see Didi on "Glee." I think she would make a great Cheerio.

Didi is safe and she blows a kiss to Mommy Benami who is in the audience.

Next up is Crystal Bowersox. Mamasox doesn't want you to get it twisted – she's not being arrogant and thinking she has it in the bag. Yeah, MamaSox, let us think that for you. Crystal is safe, of course.

Katie Stevens stands and as a co-worker has pointed out, she looks like Katharine McPhee's little sister, especially tonight with the side ponytail. Kara thinks she should be doing more pop/soul, Simon says more country and all of the judges have their own opinions. That is so the problem this season. No consistence in direction.

Katie is safe.

Big Mike Lynche is "here for the people," he says. His relationship with "the people" is "singular." Big Mike is going to have to dial that confidence back a notch or else it's gonna get ugly for him. Mike is safe.

That brings us down to Casey James and Lacey Brown and Lacey is sent to the bottom three.

We very quickly learn that the person who can head back to the couch is...Tim Urban! He looks like he is about to pass out with shock. Yeah Tim, I feel you on that.
9:25 p.m. – Paige and Tim look good sitting together.

They're going to have to wait a minute, though, because Orianthi is up first to perform her single "According to You." She played guitar for Kelly Clarkson and was set to play with Michael Jackson on his final tour. She's cute and I love the accent, but I would rather have heard Kelly Clarkson do that song.

9:13 p.m. – Boy, I have missed the product placement on "Idol." Not!

Everyone looks so glum on the couches. Paige Miles is up first and she is in the bottom three.

Wow, right off the bat. Let's not waste any time here. Lee Dewyze is up next and he is way too long-winded in his response to Ryan's question about creating "a moment." Lee is safe and he looks relieved.

Siobhan Magnus is up next with a crocheted thingy on her head. She's a quirky chick, this one. I love how they are hopping around the couch to keep the suspense level high, but there's no worry about Siobhan. She's safe.

We then go to Aaron Kelly and Randy tries to explain why he compared him to Justin Timberlake. I need Randy to never try again to sing a note because he sounded a whole hot mess. That's right, I am judging the judges!

Anyhoo, Aaron is safe.

We next have a double stand-up with Andrew Garcia and Tim Urban - and Tim Urban is headed to the bottom three while Andrew is safe!

9:08 p.m. – The stupid "Judges' Save" is back this year. I never liked that particular gimmick.

So good to see David Cook back on the stage. His "Jumping Jack Flash" was great. Now that's how you do the Rolling Stones!

1. big buz

mike has to gooooo . to much showing off . go home to your wife and stay there. go back to the gym and do your showing off there.

March 20, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  2. Gillian

Wait, is this the same writer, Lisa, that dissed Siobhan for being creepy but likes Lady Gaga? You'll come around. Siobhan will win you over. You just aren't listening yet. Go back and watch all of her performances. She has a beautiful voice. And please people that compare her to Lambert, stop. She is light years beyond his range and talent. He is a natural drama queen singing. She is a natural singer. Yes her voice cracked and she pushed one big note too far but go back and listen to her Hollywood performance, for example. You'll see why the judges are rooting for her to win. $$$

March 18, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Joshua Weikel

It's shows like this that make me glad I DVR idol, Orianthi was just cookie cutter pop, I don't know WHAT Ryan was thinking calling her a "modern pioneer" how is that possible anyway, sounds like an oxymoron to me, I love Ryan, but he loses credability for that one. Ke$ha was horrible, HAD to fast forward through that after listening for 10 seconds. I thought Lacey did enough to stay in, Paige definitely should have gone, I thought she was shrieky, had to fast forward through her second half on Tuesday night. I don't care if she had lyringitis, it's a singing competition and she was the worst singer on Tuesday....there are no sympathy points for me. Though I wouldn't have minded if Andrew or Aaron got the boot, can't stand either of them, and Big Mike is starting to get on my nerves.

March 18, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  4. deb

I really loved the sound/tone of Lacey's voice and think she has so much potential. She still needs work (she's a little unsure of herself, I think) but I think she could really go places. She has a lot of style and is pretty, too. Hopefully she'll get something out of all of this. I predicted that Tim would be "saved" by the teenyboppers and it appears that he was. I think he should have been the first to go. What was Big Mike thinking by saying "I'm here for the people"?? Does he have an ego or what? It may have been a slip of the tongue because he then sort of saved himself by saying that he feeds off the people to get his inspiration or some such thing. Whatever.

March 18, 2010 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  5. JC

Tim Urban CANNOT sing and does not deserve to be in the top 12. There are so many others that performed much better that he did that did not make it. Whats up with that?!?!

March 18, 2010 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  6. Chrissy

Kesha sucked, I couln't reach for the mute button fast enough....Blech!!!

March 18, 2010 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  7. ms

I think the temporary seating arrangement for the judges was great – it just didn't last – I don't hate Kara -I just think she would do much better on a program such as "Desperate Housewives" – what she is doing on AL is very destracting for the singers – some good performers this years – just give them a chance to do their job without having to witness Kara and Simon and the totally ridiculous banter between Ryan and Simon – save that for a comedy show – not when young people are trying to make a career for themselves -

March 18, 2010 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  8. sides3

I think Paige should have gone!

March 18, 2010 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  9. Tim.Urban.go.away

tim urban must've sold his soul to the devil for him to have even got past the first week of eliminations. the way he got past the first week of eliminations with that atrocious attempt at singing was a travesty. he has been horrible every week and somehow he keeps getting the pass. he must have a huge golden horseshoe wedge between his cheeks; that and the fact there are tons of dim-witted voters still casting votes for him. also, once tim got saved last night, lacey was the correct choice to go. she should've have gone home too after that horrible rendition of "landslide" by fleetwood mac. i do think that lacey has lots of talent. i have constantly told my wife there is something about lacey where she has the voice but doesn't know how to use it. maybe she just needs more coaching.

March 18, 2010 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  10. wtf

KARA simply SUCKS. And maybe I might just stop watching, what they are still calling American Idol but hey jasonviana, I've been watching and enjoying this show for seven years without Kara. They tried her out last year with an apprent plan to replace Paula who, at a min imum, was genuine. Last year was the beginning of the end of American Idol as we knew it.

But lets be real, KARA just SUCKS>

March 18, 2010 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  11. Just A Thought

They got it right tonight. And the bottom 3 will contain the same two plus Katie or Andrew next week.

March 18, 2010 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  12. Minneapolis

This is the worst American Idol EVER, EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I DONT THINK ANY OF THEM COULD SING, SEND THEM ALL HOME!

March 18, 2010 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
  13. Becky

Ke$ha is horrible. How the heck did she get on the show or any other.
    I am sorry to see Lacy go. But she went off with such poise and such confidence in her self that somewhere soon she'l make it.

March 18, 2010 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
  14. Melanie

That wasn't singing the one who did the blah blah blah thing. How stupid. Shouldn't even been shown on tv. You can surely get some better entertainment than that. I thought Lacey was a good choice to go. She has been struggling all along.

March 18, 2010 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
  15. Half Breed

Season is a snorer so far. Crystal and Siobhan are interesting – not sure they are great yet. Didi has some potential. None of the guys have impressed me. The Ryan and Simon conflict is distracting and a childish waste of time. Kara has worn out her welcome. Ellen is a fan and trying her best to find a place.

Hopefully the talent will get better over the next few weeks with coaching by some pros – if not, I have better things to do.

March 18, 2010 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  16. Stacey

I am so disapointed that Tim did not get voted off. Come on! He made a Rolling Stones song into a Reggae mix, and he cannot even sing that well. He needs more experience and should be voted off because there are people on the show with much more talent.

March 18, 2010 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
  17. dave xs

that kesha song was one of the worst I've ever heard in my life. never heard her "hit" ... but it was a three word title as well, or were those actually words? My kids when they were babies before they could talk said that.

Lacey had a terrible voice, imo. she had the looks, though.

March 18, 2010 at 6:39 am | Report abuse |
  18. babo

It would be great if Idol would help Crystal fix her teeth, so she can smile and sing more comfortably.

March 18, 2010 at 6:12 am | Report abuse |
  19. Jeremy

Tim should have gone home. Although not likely, I am still rooting for Andrew to win. Love the smooth vibe he has in his voice regardless of the song. The judges said it was pitchy, please, Siobhan high note was what was pitchy.

March 18, 2010 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
  20. rhonda

for the record, i think lacey at some point will get a recording deal. she has a great look and has talent. just not "the american idol" talent yet. someday tho

March 18, 2010 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  21. rhonda

well then...tim urban safe again. dammit. any one of the bottom 3 could have gone home. i like the paige and lacey but they are somewhat weak in skills compared to some of the others. actually a bottom 4 could have included didi as well. they are just not enough. not that this is a great talent pool to pull from with a few exceptions. not a fan of the judges save but happy they did not use it so early in the game. i feel it should be saved for closer to the end when someone with better skills needs to be saved. just my opinion

March 18, 2010 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
  22. Michael

Tim Urban is safe of the 3! Must be young girl voter's eye candy. He should have been voted off awhile ago.

As for Ke$ha... ...that song/performance was "bad, bad, bad". The I-believe-I-can-be-a-rapper "dudes" were awful. I agree with Kevin... ...lost 3 minutes of my life here.

Anyway, I look forward to next week. I liked the music "theme" idea for all. That worked for me.

March 18, 2010 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
  23. Marie Antionette

No problem with Lacey gone or Paige. The wrong choices were made LAST week when the 4 voted off were better than those 2 for sure and Tim at least.

March 18, 2010 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  24. LilyAbby

Siobhan Magnus rocked! Vote right this time America! Adam Lambert is more popular than Kris Allen. Chris Daughtry is more popular than Taylor Hicks. See the pattern yet?

March 17, 2010 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  25. JSRagman

Siobhan Magnus is awful. She should have been voted off.

March 17, 2010 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  26. dave xs

Tiom should be the one gone.
    He's even totally shocked he's not the one each week.

March 17, 2010 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Maryann

Sorry Lacey, I will really miss your smiling face and vibrant personality. I loved your version of "Kiss Me".

March 17, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  28. jasonviana

why do people hates kara and tim? if you dont like her you shouldnt be watching the show.. lacey off the idol? this is not yet the time for her to shine.. let her go. she needs to learn a lot more...

March 17, 2010 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Iowa Girl

Please, someone remind Kara that she's married and to quit hanging all over Simon. It's so needy!

Simon and Ryan – it's uncomfortable watching the two of you interact.

March 17, 2010 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  30. sonster

Wow, how can you guys (you too Lisa) be so far off on Ke$ha?
    While her look is certainly a Lady Gaga clone, her music is totally different. Whereas Lady Gaga takes herself entirely too seriously, Ke$sha is having fun and her songs are fun, not the overbearing, over the top Meat Loaf/Queen type that Gaga puts out.
    And 3oh3 is awesome, another fun group. That's part of what's wrong with Idol, everyone is taking themselves way too seriously.
    Just like the public ultimately controls the next Idol choice, you don't sell 6 million units with crap song.
    And before you think I'm a tween or something, I'm an almost 40 year-old man and I can still enjoy new artists.

March 17, 2010 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  31. alain

This is so disappointing..I'm leaving with Simon

March 17, 2010 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Kevin

Ditto on Ke$ha; I want that 2.5-3 minutes of my life back.

March 17, 2010 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  33. wtf

KARA and TIM are equals. GET RID OF THEM BOTH!!!

March 17, 2010 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  34. The Best Critic

I'm so shocked. Did I just totally miss it with Lacey? Can someone explain why there are people who agree with Lacey being dismissed?

Lacey, please make an album, I love your voice!

March 17, 2010 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  35. protogere

I am kind of mixed on my feelings about Lacey leaving – she has talent that has finally kind of started showing itself these past two weeks. She is often all over the place vocally, kind of like on her final song (what's up with her getting to choose her goodbye song?) but she really isn't the worst of the females, nor is Paige and neither are the worst of the entire lot.
    I'm not surprised they didn't use the save this early in the game and she will still get to be on the tour – or is that the top ten? It's way too early to burn that option before seeing how much growth a singer could produce and be more worthy of saving.

March 17, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  36. michele

they gonna use the bloodt save on casey if need i bet you...well at least kara will

March 17, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Loray White

sorry Lacey, when you're singing for your life....that's NOT the way to sing!

March 17, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Lisa

OMG! they got it wrong! Please judges save Lacey!

March 17, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  39. mushymushroom

First time I saw Kesha I'm like, "Oh what a gaga wannnabe" and when I finally heard her music I'm like "She really is a hundred percent a gaga wannabe".

March 17, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  40. The Best Critic

yeah if the judges don't save Lacey it would be a big mistake.

Ke$ha has not talent in singing and somehow she made it on Idol. The cheesy part with the guys singing is the worst: "doesn't matter who's at the bar it only matters who I am."

March 17, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  41. protogere

LoL Mushy!

March 17, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Loray White

I disagree that if Lacey has the least votes the judges will save her. They need to save their one vote for a major player. She is not one.

March 17, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Lisa

true that "the best critic"

March 17, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  44. protogere

Wow this performer is irritating – one Lady Gaga is enough, we don't need a wannabe.
    I think Tim's safety net is the VFTW, I just can't imagine anyone outside of his hometown family and friends picking up the phone to save him.

March 17, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  45. mushymushroom

@michelle yeah hopefully next week she's off the table completely! LOL

March 17, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  46. mushymushroom

@michelle yeah hopefully next week she off the table completely! LOL

March 17, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  47. michele

love the new sitting arrangement

March 17, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Loray White

how cruel...why do I get the feeling that the first person called will be the one to go. Painful to let her wait that long.

March 17, 2010 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  49. The Best Critic

Why is Lacey in the bottom three? and why is Tim the first of the bottom three that is safe?

March 17, 2010 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Lisa

Tim should not have been safe out of the bottom 3, I predict that if Lacey is voted off...the judges will use their 1 save for her..as they should!!!

March 17, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  51. protogere

(Wow, what's up with the new seating arrangement with Kara on the end but still next to Ellen?)
    I am disappointed that Katie is safe but that Lacey isn't – not that she hasn't deserved to go home for many weeks, but I thought the last two weeks she has started to vocally come out of her shell. Certainly moreso than Katie who is just all over the place.
    And Tim – like we didn't know he wouldn't get the boot? Ugh.

March 17, 2010 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  52. michele

omggggggggg tim is safe......unreal

March 17, 2010 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  53. michele

omg kara at the end of the table finallyyyyyyyyyyy

March 17, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  54. protogere

I liked that Ryan gave Crystal that chance to talk and express herself. I am starting to see her become more vibrant and talkative, which is huge in contrast to her sulking before – so perhaps it was all related to her medical condition.

March 17, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  55. protogere

I must really be out of touch, I had never heard of Orianthi and I wasn't very impressed with her vocal skills, but man can she play the guitar.

March 17, 2010 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  56. protogere

Oh thank you! Tim in the bottom three – for once it's a step in the right direction!

March 17, 2010 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Loray White

OMG, they finally switched it up....about time. Leave us hanging; let us be on the tip of our chairs as we await the decision. But, not Paige, please.

March 17, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  58. protogere

See I disagree with you on that one Lisa, I was so glad to see them bring it back to spare people when 'America gets it wrong', when they get it VERY wrong.
    I love David Cook, he is in my opinion, one of the most talented winners of AI ever and certainly the most talented male winner, again in my opinion.
    Wow Ryan didn't waste any time starting naming off the bottom three did he? I agree Paige wasn't the strongest but I don't think she was really deserving of a stool.

March 17, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |