March 16th, 2010

Legendary DJ Ron Lundy dies at 75

Ron Lundy, one of the most influential DJs from the golden age of Top 40 AM radio, has died, according to the trade publication Radio Business Report.

Lundy was one of the jocks at WABC-AM New York during that station's long reign as the No. 1 radio station in the country.

Along with WABC colleagues Dan Ingram, Bruce Morrow and Harry Harrison, Lundy helped shape the sound of Top 40 radio around the country - partly thanks to WABC's 50,000-watt clear channel signal, which could be heard for hundreds of miles on a clear night.

(You can hear some of Lundy's bits on this Web site, a wealth of information about WABC and Top 40 radio in general.)

The DJ also has a spot in movie history: It's his voice that Joe Buck (Jon Voight) hears while making his way to New York in "Midnight Cowboy."

Lundy, who moved to Mississippi after retiring from WCBS-FM in the late '90s, reportedly died in a Mississippi hospital of a heart attack.

1. Gmose

Hello Luv!!! RIP

April 27, 2013 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Dennis

Thank You my dear friend for all the "GOOD MORNING LOVE" It's 9 Oclock in the greatest city in the World"
    RIP

June 21, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  3. sharon smith storms

I recognise the signs of mortality and aging every day; when I look in the mirror or reach down to pick an object off the floor and my back aches. I tend to think that I'm the only one who ages not that I'm so narcississtic or self-absorbed but life carries us along at such great speed that it takes the death of someone who was so ingrained in your consciousness and a part of your everyday life to bring you up short. Just as it wasn't Christmas until Johnny Mathis said so by singing Sleigh Ride, it wasn't summer until I heard the rich dulcet tones of Ron Lundy booming "Hello Luv!! Or the famous "Turn over Baby" as a way of marking time in the sun,advising us to get tanned evenly. I heard a DJ speaking of Ron on CBS-FM and I didn't want to acknowledge the fact that he had probably died; unfortunately that seems to be the only noteworthy action we perform as we gather age. Ron Lundy, as long as I can feel a summer breeze and the heat of the sun on the sand of Jones Beach You and your beautiful voice will always live on in my memory. Thank you for the feelings you evoked through your wonderful gift. See you later....

March 20, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Dave L

Ron Lundy had such an influence on me during his St. Louis broadcast years on WIL that I decided I wanted a career in radio. And while I was never the DJ that Ron was, I had a career in radio for more than 35 years.
    Little know fact about Ron Lundy - He was also an actor. Briefly. He had a walk on part with one line on an episode of Route 66 when it was filming in the St. Louis area in the early 60s.
    How big a Ron Lundy fan was I? Big enough to remember to this day, his one line – "why you wanna help a bum like that"

March 19, 2010 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  5. DFW Traveler

Like others, these posts have made me smile and remember that great group at the old WABC. And if I recall correctly, Ron Lundy actually replaced Bob Dayton, who was dropped from that time slot and fired for the infamous "Happy Birthday Baby" reference to Hiroshima. Much like WMCA in the 60's, WABC got some serious competion from WNBC through the 70's when they changed formats to Top 40, imported Don Imus, Wolfman Jack, and others. The days of personality-driven Top 40 DJ's were numbered as the FM dial became more music-focused, with a better sound quality, but I do miss them now. Rest in peace, Ron.

March 18, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Matthew

What a loss – my condolences to his family . These radio clips remind me of the communities (and shared times) we have lost. There was a strong connection to the DJ's and the music. We all would hear the songs from open windows on hot days and sweaty nights. It was a sense of comfort, excitement, and community. Rock on Ron Lundy...Your rhythm and soul will be missed, and for now, we are blue. Peace. MattT

March 17, 2010 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Bob K

was there ever a better one-two punch in radio than Ron Lundy straight into Dan Ingram? the two of them were best friends, and the times when they would sit in on part of each other's shows were the best - each one cracking up the other. Truly fun and memorable radio. I remember back in the 70s with my old Westinghouse transistor radio listening to Ron Lundy on the playground during recess. i would always love when a particular favorite song of Lundy's would come on, and he'd bellow into the mic with that huge voice of his, "Good sooooong!" Even though it was only a transistor radio, his voice coupled with that massive WABC reverb made him sound like a friendly jovial giant. One of the absolute greats!

March 17, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sharon Oliver

I grew up in Wayne, NJ (1963-1976 all through my married life, and even back to my single life again 1998) and always had my transistor radio tuned to the Good Guys: Cousin Brucie, Big Dan Ingram, Ron –HELLO LUV!– Lundy, Scott Muni, and Harry Harrison from WABeatleC (till its end as a music station) and WCBS 101.1FM.

Ron Lundy and the Chime Time will ring in my head forever with all those glorious memories. I still listen to the radio oldies rather than watch TV. My favorite radio station today fashions itself after the way radio was back in those OLDIES days - WGHTradio AM - which I listen to over my computer as I now live in Pennsylvania.

MARCH 16, 2010 – RON LUNDY - REST IN PEACE -
    GOOD-BYE LUV!

I miss you and all the fantastic radio greats of my past and present.

March 17, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Michael Temperino

Rest in Peace Mr. Lundy. You brought happiness to my youth and hearing your voice today brings back those special memories. You will one day be in the Hall of Fame and your voice will live on forever.

March 17, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mr Shawn

Bummer.... great memories of listening to Ron and Dan Ingram c. 1973-75 on my blue Panasonic Pan-a-pet radio, sitting up on the hill by the diving pool at Traphagen where all the "cool kids" hung out ... Band on the Run, The Night Chicago Died, Sister Golden Hair.... He's still one of my favorite impersonations ("W-A-B-Ceee Music timmme two-seventeen") RIP Ron, your voice may be silenced but won't soon be forgotten.

March 17, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  11. kendall

Do you remember Rock and Roll Radio? Ramones I live in Canada and remember, just like the song says,lying in bed with the covers pulled up over your head listening to WABC many nights with my transister. Great times and tunes Thanks for the memories,l

March 17, 2010 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  12. Marco

Looking at all the comments here I am really feeling nostalgic.
    What better way is there to be remembered?
    "Like an old friend"...."always seemed to be enjoying himself"..."great radio voice"....and so on.
    Congratulations on a life well lived! You will be missed but never forgotten. Thanks for being part of our lives!

March 17, 2010 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  13. Steeeeeeeeev

Goodbye Ron and THANK YOU!!!!! Thank you so much, you were a Puzzle Piece. Rooooon – Lun-DEEEE!!!! WABC!!!

March 17, 2010 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  14. Carlos

My earliest radio listening was WINS 1010 with Alan Freed and then Murray the K (AAAAAABAY !! WOH!!). After 1010 went all news I listened to WABC 77 with "HOA in the morning", Big Dan Ingram (my favorite – he was so funny), Ron Lundy, Cousin Brucie and Scott Muni. I'd listen with my Japanese transistor under my pillow before falling asleep. I'd occasionally check out the WMCA Good Guys (Dandy Dan Daniels, B. Mitchell Reed and the Wooly Burger, Harry Harrison etc.). There was a lot of silly "schtick" but teens ate it up. The big debate was WABC "All Americans" vs. the WMCA "Good Guys". Great radio days, great music and wonderful memories.
    Thanks to Ron Lundy and the rest for making radio listening such a joy.

March 17, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  15. scott

I grew up in Jersey and went to sleep and woke up with my 9-volt transistor radio on tucked under my pillow. I remember changing the AM car radio to 770 every time I jumped in (much to the chagrin of my parents), hearing the radio jingle "Seventy Seven W-A-B-C" and listening to top 40 when AM was king in the 60s and 70s. RIP Ron. Show 'em how it's done.

March 17, 2010 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  16. John

WABC rocked like no other radio station ever did, or ever will.
    Another "signature" voice lost.
    RIP, Ron.
    God Bless Your Family.

March 17, 2010 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  17. Linda

I grew up in Brooklyn,NY with a transistor Radio we lived in the Projects at that time everyone had radios all the kids we would take them outside with us to the park, dance in the Streets "for real",,,,,,,,,,,,,,remember hearing Cousin Brucie, Ron Lundy, Dan Ingram, Harry Harrison through the 1980's these guys RULE RADIO- condolences to
    Ron Lundy's family, friends he was one of the GREATS!

March 17, 2010 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  18. David G

Will always remember the days of " W A Beathle C" and all the jocks on WABC. The Good Guys on WMCA were good, but the dial stayed tuned to ABC most of the time. At the beach it was no contest.
    Long live the Jersey Shore. Long live the memories of the guys like Ron Lundy, Herb Oscar Anderson, Harry Harrison, Big Dan Ingram, Scott Muni and good ole Cousin Brucie!

March 17, 2010 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  19. Robert

Growing up in Union City,NJ and listening to WABC Radio was a wonderful part of my youth. Ron, Bruce Morrow and even over at WINS 1010 where Murray the K worked, was a great radio experience. Ron was one of the Giants in rock and roll radio and will be missed.

March 17, 2010 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  20. LividEmerald

King Arthur was LEGENDARY. This man actually can be proven to have existed. I absolutely hate the use of "legendary" these days to denote anyone from the guy who does your dry cleaning to a mediocre actor in Hollywood to a high school football player. Oh, let's just hope that Tiger Woods doesn't lose his "legendary status."

March 17, 2010 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  21. Rialto 350

I'm very sad to hear this, as Run Lundy was an important part of my youth when it came to music on AM radio. WABC and WMCA battled back and forth, but WABC always won out, and Lundy was a big part of the reason for it. I lived in New Jersey during the 60's and 70's, but I recall visiting in Alabama, and could pick WABC up after midnight for a few hours. To this day, I think of WABC often. RIP my friend.

March 17, 2010 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  22. Pete Schardien

I'm so sorry to hear of Ron's passing. His voice was such a big part of my life in growing up in NJ. We were always listening to him and Dan Ingram on the radio. He will certainly be missed! http://www.musicradio77.com/ has some past broadcasts on the site which brings me right back to my childhood. God certainly has a terrific broacaster up there now in Ron Lundy!!

March 17, 2010 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  23. Harry P

I can still here that jingle play like it was yesterday... "Seventy-Seven, Double-U-A-Bee-Seeeeee!"

March 17, 2010 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
  24. Jerseydude

Wow! He was one of the greats! I grew up in NJ listening to WABC! Huge loss! RIP, Love!

March 17, 2010 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  25. Hughe

Friend of my youth.....thanks for the memories....RIP

March 17, 2010 at 7:48 am | Report abuse |
  26. Mary

I remember Ron Lundy on the radio in St. Louis, MO. I was just a teenager. I believe it was WIL radio. Also, remember Dan Ingram. If I remember correctly Dan Ingram was on in the late evening and Ron Lundy had the afternoon slot. So sorry to hear of his passing.

March 17, 2010 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
  27. Mystic7

Just realized something else. What we know today as a smiley emoticon was actually created as the logo on WMCA Good Guys T-Shirts. Am I right?

March 17, 2010 at 6:51 am | Report abuse |
  28. Mystic7

Ron Lundy wasn't a "Good Guy", he was an "All-American". The Good Guys were the DJ's on WMCA. They were just as well known in NY, but I'm having a hard time remembering their names right now. If WABC was playing a song you didn't care for, you would just tune over to WMCA. Ah, the variety back then ;)

March 17, 2010 at 6:49 am | Report abuse |
  29. Ken Angerstein

Like a few here, I too listen to Ron when I was growing up in New Jersey. He was always a pleasure to listen to. I can here now, the lead in saying, "Rooooooooooooooooon Lundy! RIP Ron and thank you.

March 17, 2010 at 5:19 am | Report abuse |
  30. Ted Kelton

I remember Ron Lundy from my younger days as well as Cousin Brucie, Big Dan Ingram and Harry Harrison. I was listening to WABC the night the lights went out for the Great Black Out in the 60's.

The only other radio personage I listened to back then that was on another station was Jean Shepherd over on WOR -AM.

March 17, 2010 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
  31. NY Frank

I got an autographed picture from him once. He was my favorite DJ on WCBS. He always sounded like he was having a great time. Made me want to be a DJ

March 17, 2010 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
  32. Vic Latino

R.I.P Ron. You will forever be missed.

March 17, 2010 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  33. Miguel in NY

What a loss for the music industry. Ron Lundy was a household name to anyone who heard WABC and its top 40 hits with Harry Harrison and Dan Ingram. I grew up listening to Ron counting down the top 40 with hits from Billy Joel, Linda Rondstadt, the Rolling Stones, etc. Rest in peace, Ron. Radio will never be the same!

March 16, 2010 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  34. LT Bower

Growing up in Queens, NY my radio was always tuned to WABC. Ron Lundy was a great DJ. My sympathies to his family.

March 16, 2010 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  35. 62vette

I grew up with Ron Lundy listening to him from WABC on through the end to WCBS-FM. He was great, next to Dan Ingram and Scott Muni from WNEW. Such a great distinctive voice, I missed him very much when he retired. My condolences to the family.

March 16, 2010 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  36. gino70

I was driving home from work when I heard the news on my XM radio. As a child I was glued to my transistor radio listening to WABC and Ron was a big part of my life along with Cousin Brucie and the bunch. R.I.P big guy, thanks for everything.

March 16, 2010 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  37. sharon

I remember as a young teen walking to the beach with a transitor radio stuck to my ear and listening to Ron Lundy, Cousin Brucie and others.
    At the beach, everyone had a radios with the same station, it was totally stereo and the pleasure they brought to everybody from such enjoyable guys that made it all happen. May comfort from above be extended to the family.

March 16, 2010 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Rich, Syracuse NY

I loved those guys at WABC, one and all. Sadly, only Cousin Bruce Morrow is the only survivor and he's still serving up the good times on Sirius. These people were not just voices spinning records, they were welcome friends who invaded my radio each and every day. No one can take their place, no one can do what they did, which was to make the world of ours a bit brighter while growing up in a very strange time.

March 16, 2010 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Greg Earl

Wasn't one of the 'Greats' at WABC Scott Muny?

March 16, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Tom

Listening to Ron Lundy on WABC was fun. He always seemed to be having a blast! I remember hearing him read a live commercial for one of the supermarkets. He was talking about a sale on chicken breasts with wings. He ad libbed: "Hey, has Hugh Heffner heard about this?" Funny, happy guy. RIP Ron

March 16, 2010 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Phyllis

Forgive me , i forgot to mention Harry Harrison too.

March 16, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Phyllis

Radio will never be the same without Ron Lundy. I listened to him every morning when I lived in Bklyn. Radio DJ's here in Vegas can not hold a candle to the greats, Dan Ingram, Dandy Dan Daniel, my fav Cousin Brucie. Hail hail rock n roll heaven, you've got the best DJ today.

March 16, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Kurt

When I moved to NY from N. Cal. in 1968 I was like a fish out of water. All I had to feel connected was my music. I found WABC and kept my radio dial there. Soon I began to feel like Cousin Brucie, Ron Lundy, Dan Ingram, and Harry Harrison were good friends and I didn't feel so lonely. Of course I soon made real friends at my new school, but always stayed tuned to WABC.

Ron Lundy will be missed like a lost old friend. RIP Ron. WABC Chime Time forever.

March 16, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  44. RANDY

Ron Lundy you will be missed, uptown in NYC WABC77 advertisement sign still stands painted on the wall of a building after all these years and still havent faded.

March 16, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  45. RANDY

I remember hearing Ron Lundy on the radio back in the early 70's on WABC Radio that was my mother's station she listen to it every day, when i was getting prepared in the morning to go to high school i would hear his name it was like a jingle Ronnnnnnnnn Lunnnndy, he was great to listen to he had a good sense of humor and a great DJ voice for radio and i will always remember that voice, him and Harry Harrison, Ron was a part of my early teen years RIP Ron

March 16, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  46. chele

RIP, Mr. Lundy! You will be missed and remembered by many.

March 16, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Mel Melman

I've been living in Los Angeles for 30 years but I distinctly remember everyone cranking up their transistor radio on the bus ride home from junior high on Long Island in 1967. The only station ever played: WABC! Dan Ingram was my favorite, but God bless all of those guys. R.I.P. Ron.

March 16, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Andy Geller

Ron Lundy was a huge part of my childhood...along with Cousin Brucie and Dan Ingram, Dave Herman and Scott Muni...because of them, I am what I am...thanks for the memories and the music Ron, thanks for my childhood

March 16, 2010 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  49. DJ Johnson

I collect airchecks (recordings of radio stations, usually with everything but the beginning and end of each song "scoped out" because we're interested in the on-air personality), and the WABC airchecks are among the most fun to listen to, thanks to Ron Lundy, Dan Ingrim and Uncle Brucie. Listening to those airchecks makes me happy in one way, but it makes me sad as well because I miss the way radio used to be. Remember (fellow old people)? When we used to run home from school so we wouldn't miss much of our favorite deejay's show? I didn't live in New York - I lived in Seattle, all the way at across the country in the K section of the radio dial - but the jocks that were part of our lives seem to be disappearing now, long after radio itself disappeared. Very sad. A lot of us in radio would love to let loose with what we learned from people like Ron Lundy... but no station will let us. Don't blame the deejays. Down with Clear Channel.

Rest in Peace, luv.

March 16, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Tina

This takes me back to Jersey City, New Jersey and listening to Ron Lundy "Hello Love" voice on WABC. I also liked Dan Ingram. Wasn't Dan Ingram's endline something like "good bye, esp. to you size 9". Those guys were the best jocks.

RIP Mr. Lundy!!!

March 16, 2010 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  51. tom

Bill Ballance, Dick Whittington, Hudson and Landry, Lohman and Barkely, Lundy, the Real Don Steele, Wolfman Jack ........they were the best........the real golden age of radio gone forever.

March 16, 2010 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  52. TJ

"Hellooooo Love: I want to thank you for making WABC the most listen to station in the nation".

I grew up listening to R&B music, but every now and then I would turn to WABC because I loved Ron Lundy's voice. He introduced me to soft rock music that I still listen to today. He had the best radio voice.

Good-bye Love and sleep peacefully.

March 16, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Ross

One of the really goods guys of radio what memories !

March 16, 2010 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  54. romayne

peace to you , ron. you made so many radio hours wonderful. your voice and talent are irreplaceable

March 16, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Chris, MN

I grew up in NJ listening these guys, first on a Panasonic transistor radio I got for my 10th birthday and graduating to a Sony AM/FM a few days later. Anyone else remember the order to"Roll your bod" every half hour in the summer? RIP Ron and thanks for a lot of happy memories.

March 16, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Karin

Yes, Harry Harrison was a DJ on WABC. I worked in the advertising and promotion department (remember the $25,000 button?) in the mid 70's. and it was a blast! My condolences to Ron Lundy's family.
    I remember him being very kind.

March 16, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  57. howard

yes, i remember listening to ron. and it was a pleasant experience also dan ingram was a fav of mine. i think he said hello kimosabe.

terrible news when the great djs / artists go because by the SOUND / NOISE of it today these people are never going to be replaced.

March 16, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Sheldon

As soon as I read the name, I flashed back to being a kid in New Jersey and listening to WABC every waking minute I was home.
    Good times and better on-air talent than you find today.
    Better music too.
    Thanks for the memories Ron.

March 16, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Garry Koop

Yes Harry Harrison was on WABC. He did mornings for years after Herb Oscar Anderson.

March 16, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  60. joanne

RIP.................Thanks for all the good times!!!!

March 16, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  61. HB

Lundy was a great DJ.( Harrison however was not a DJ on WABC)

March 16, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Larry

It's sad that the classic voices from classic radio stations are passing away with few, if any, to follow in their formidable footsteps. Modern tech, while a good thing, has removed the need for those cherished voices that brought memories to many of us growing up in the 60s and 70s. RIP – Ron Lundy!

March 16, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Michelle

Oh, man, so sorry to hear this. WABC-AM was so much a part of my childhood/early teen years...RIP Mr. Lundy.

March 16, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Gerbs

Hello love, good morning!! Ten o'clock on WABC!!

March 16, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Mike

I used to listen to him on my red Panasonic Toot-a-Loop radio!

March 16, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Bob Hale

Ron was one of the HUGE rock and roll radio guys. Many of us in Chicago – especially we WLS guys – always felt he was a notch above the rest of us. A great voioce, and a sparkling personality. And, having listening to DJs in other markets, it was obvious to many of us he was being imitated by younger hopefuls. That, alone, is a neat tribute to a talent radio voice.
    In short: He was good...real good!!!

Bob Hale

March 16, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Garry Koop

When I first saw only the headline for some reason I thought it has to be one of the WABC dj's but which one. WABC was the soundtrack of my youth. Guys like Ron Lundy and Dan Ingram were like family and I always looked forward to hearing Ron Lundy say "Hello Love". I cried when WABC changed formats in '81 and I'll never forget Dan and Ron signing off for the last time. While Dan and Ron continued on WCBS-FM it was nothing like hearing them at 77 on your AM dial.

March 16, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Marty G.

I remember listening to Ron Lundy on WABC, He was a fun DJ who added alot to the contemporary 1960's sound and always seemed to enjoy what he was doing. One of the true 'good guys' of am radio
    rip

March 16, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Frank

Hellloooo Luv, this is Ron Lundy!

RIP