March 16th, 2010

'Idol' Top 12 to sing Rolling Stones songs

Welcome to the week for which  so many of us have been waiting.

We now have our “American Idol” Top 12 and Tuesday night the gang takes on music from the Rolling Stones. This could be really cool - or a complete and utter disaster.

Will any of the contestants step up and select one of the more hard-rock Stones tunes, or will they play it safe with the softer side of the Jagger-Richards catalog ("Wild Horses," "Angie," "Ruby Tuesday")? Will tonight be a sweet spot for Lee Dewyze, who is arguably the most rocker-oriented of this year’s group so far?

(My editor wants to hear someone dare to do "Stray Cat Blues" or "Monkey Man." Good luck, I say.)

These and all other questions will be answered Tuesday night when the Top 12 take to the stage. I so can’t wait!

Join CNN tonight and  throughout the "American Idol" season as Lisa Respers France blogs live during the performance and result shows.

« Previous entry
  1. Bonnie

I think Crystal can sing, but her type of music will not sell records to the age people who buy the most records. Also, I don't think she has any star quality. Every time I see her, I want to put her in a bathtub and scrub her and do something with that horrible looking hair.

March 17, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joan Rivera

I dont think Simon is trying to impress anyone,I feel he saw how bad he and the other judges looked on Britans Got Talent { Susan Boyle}I like the more mellow Simon. PS Im for C B all the way what a great voice. Big Mike is another favorite.

March 17, 2010 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  3. Monique

I agree with the first guy Chipp. My recorder only records two shows at once, and Idol is NOT holding my interest. Ellen belongs on her own show, NOT Idol....maybe I won't tune in next season...bummer since I've been such a big fan.

March 17, 2010 at 6:15 am | Report abuse |
  4. haywoojk

American Idol.....wow this season I must say lost a viewer this evening. The talent this year has definately struggled, however I can't help to think this is a result of the judges who hand selected the group? Who's with me tonight's show=brutal!

March 16, 2010 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Rick

to Dave xs– I think you got your answer

March 16, 2010 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  6. KCVA

janet f March 16th, 2010 9:58 pm ET

Oh she has a lot on her mind. Let me shed a tear. Poor excuse...so let's all vote for her...take a cue from Marie Osmond deary.....Hey not posting my posts....why not
    *******************************************
    No worse than Danny Gokey last year.

March 16, 2010 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Freddy

I did not care for Kara's comments towards Crystal
    I hate Kara

March 16, 2010 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  8. CW

Paige needed to go last week. Maybe she is still there because she is being voted for by "The worst of idol"

March 16, 2010 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  9. dave xs

I did like Soybean, or whatever...she needs to lay off the scream, though..ok once in awhile ... but she almost blew her vocal cords on that one tonight.

Crystal...I like her style of music . the youngsters actually are pretty good for their age. Big Mike is good.

March 16, 2010 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. janet f

March 16, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Debbiedolittle

What a depressing season... Have the judges swayed from being overly picky to overly overlooking such poor talent! BORING!

March 16, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Bob

Every single one of this "singers" suck. Worst season of Idol ever.

March 16, 2010 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Rose

These 12 stink. Where did they get these people? Terrible.

March 16, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  14. craig

I thought Tim Urban did a great job. It was unique, good vocals. One can not duplicate Jagger

March 16, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  15. KCVA

dave xs March 16th, 2010 7:39 pm ET

who can sing Paint it Black in a dark and brooding way?
    Adam Lambert isn't there
    ***********************************************************
    Sigh.

I miss Adam.

March 16, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  16. craig

Didi and Casey did a good job so far. Big Mike I like, I did not understand his song.

March 16, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  17. KM

I miss Lilly already – I hope that Lacey and Andrew do what they did in Hollywood. And I pray that the judges stop acting wierd and give some true constructive criticisim... if Kara says "you dont know who are" one more time, they'll all be confused.

March 16, 2010 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  18. michele

mute mute mute button is so handy..........thanks to terchnology....lol

March 16, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  19. craig

I agree with Raficus

March 16, 2010 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  20. protogere

I really hope to see some originality tonight instead of karaoke covers.

March 16, 2010 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Raficus

GET ALEX BACK! :-\

Now If we don't see a final 4 of Crystal, Siobhan Didi and Andrew then this show has to end.

(and judges PLEASE turn this show around!)

March 16, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Henry C.

Start me up!

March 16, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  23. dave xs

who can sing Paint it Black in a dark and brooding way?
    Adam Lambert isn't there

March 16, 2010 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Mike

I'm really looking forward to watching these no-talents pick the most commercially viable boring rolling songs to sing in the most uninspiring, lazy manner possible.

March 16, 2010 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  25. shelley

i want paula back..please go with simon to x factor pleaseeeeeeeee...rolling stones...you might of as well asked them to do Meat Loaf.....lol

March 16, 2010 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  26. moon627

OMG ! Not The Rolling Stones ! This is going to be a disaster !

Hopefully they will change it up and not try to be Mick Jagger ...

March 16, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Bianca

Love the Rolling Stones!! I hope the contestants don't play it safe and sing the songs that anyone with a fair voice could easily do.

I hope Lee does " I used to love her, but It's All Over Now."

I hope Crystal doesn't do "Wild Horses". It's too easy and she can't show off the rocker vibes in her voice. I keep waiting to hear her blow those vibes but she hasn't done it yet. I bet she'll play it safe once again though. This is her only problem. She just will not turn loose and go for it.

What about Casey? Well he needs to rock out more too. Hope he picks a lively RS song for this week. It's time for him to 'man up and go for it' if he wants to stay in there.

Michael..Should do "Lady Jane" . He's great at selling songs that need to be acted out.

Loads of the RS songs offer such potential if they will just use them to make themselves remembered and stop playing it safe starting tonight.

They don't seem to realize that safe players get voted off because they become so boring.

We'll see.........

March 16, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  28. nessa99

So excited! I love Lisa's Blog! Shes so good!! I watch it at night and then come into work on wednesday and read all about what Lisa thought for the first 20 mins of work.. it starts off my day good! yay!

March 16, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Adrian Cronauer

God help them... the Lord knows they need it. Actually, Rolling Stones songs should separate the weak from the herd. Personally I'm looking forward to hearing from Paige, Crystal, Siobhan and Lee. I'll be pleasantly surprised if any of them do well. Stones songs tend to expose weakness and are TOUGH!

And then there are the judges. Randy, fast forward, fast forward, and then gelded Simon. Is he trying to impress his fiance by behaving?

Paula... oh where art thou Paula?

Ryan=fast forward also.

March 16, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Chipp

I've pretty much given up on investing my time on Idol this season; at best I'll record it & maybe fast forward thru it just to see the three or four left who interest me. Am I the only one who thinks there are better shows than Idol in that time slot this season?

March 16, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |