March 16th, 2010

Gwen Stefani can't believe how lucky she is

She's an international star, a fashion designer, a mother of two and - on top of that - she gets to be married to Gavin Rossdale.

Yes, Gwen Stefani leads a good life, and she knows it. She just doesn't know how she got there.

"I don’t know how I got so lucky – how all this happened to me," she told InStyle magazine for its April issue. "If you were in my shoes, you’d be blown away too."

In the cover story, on newsstands Friday, Stefani told the magazine that her career as a fashion designer was launched as the backup plan for when her music career comes to a halt.

"I wanted so badly to have a backup plan for when I'm not performing anymore. Let's be realistic: It's not going to be like this forever," Stefani said. "So I wanted to continue having something creative to do. I have to be creative to be happy. I don't have a strong sense of self-worth unless I'm doing something. I was a different person before I started to write. When I realized I could be a songwriter and that people would listen–that was when I started feeling good in my life."

Another thing that makes Stefani - and her husband - feel good? Her trademark, perfectly applied lipstick.

"I wear it all the time. I wear pink, I wear gloss, I wear everything, but my husband prefers when I wear red, so I want him to like me still," Stefani said in the interview. "I remember the first time I ever wore dark lipstick. I was maybe 18, and I can remember the moment I put it on – in my Honda Prelude that I bought for, like, $3,000 – and looking in the mirror going, ‘Good, I like that.’ Never again did I stop wearing it."

Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. mushymushroom

@Evan yep they have that tinge of ska... check out the video for "I'm just a girl" they had the ska thing at the latter part of the video. Even the song "underneath it all" there was the ska feel in that song.

March 17, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Str8 Outta Tx

Bianchiwawa i think i first heard her when i was like 7 (or somewhere around there) as well (also 1997).
    if i remember correctly, my cousin had bought a Britney Spears tape, and she introduced no doubt at the end and they performed a song. as a matter of fact, i think the song was called "no doubt." but anyway... even though that isnt my preference of music (\by the way it's hip-hop/R&B\) i liked her better when she was solo.
    THAT S*** WAS BANANAS! lol

March 17, 2010 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  3. Evan

Brynrocks – ska? You obviously aren't quite the fan either. I don't recall No Doubt using any horns in their musical lineup.

March 17, 2010 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  4. Martini007

to be married to Gavin... lucky lucky lucky

March 17, 2010 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  5. Brynrocks

This headline says it all–I can't believe how LUCKY Gwen Stefani is either. Talent has nothing to do with it, since she is clearly lacking in this department. She's a thoroughly unoriginal vocalist, whose band No Doubt were purveyors of a particularly offensive brand of third-generation watered down ska. As for her fashion design, well, if all you've got going for you is making clothes I suggest you get a job in a seamstress shop and get out of my headlines. PLEASE do us all a favor and GO AWAY.

March 17, 2010 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  6. Bmon

Really Guest? Stephanie? No, her given name is actually Gwen Stefani. Clearly you are not a fan, and she is nothing like Madonna, she has talent. Why would you even bother reading the article if you're not a fan? You should probably take another look/listen.

March 17, 2010 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
  7. Jessica*

You shouldn't hate or dislike Gwen because of something a security guard did. I have been to tons of concerts and have even been pulled on stage by Gwen during songs along with multiple other girls.

She's awesome and I love her! She's got great style and dares to be different!

March 17, 2010 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
  8. Guest

Not a fan. Saw her as the opening act for Rolling Stones – she was a Madonna Want To Be. Extended my hand to congratulate her on the performance only to have a body guard knock my hand out of the way. FYI – I am a mature, mother of 3 – hardly a threat to the then unknown Stephanie.

March 16, 2010 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  9. mushymushroom

Andrew, she did not dump her band, as a matter of fact she was so stoked in touring with the rest of No Doubt that even without a new album or a song, she still toured with them last year...

I think her solo gig was just a phase, plus her band mates also wanted to take a break so that they can sort out their own lives.

I love No Doubt and I love Gwen...!

March 16, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  10. andrew

didnt like that she basically "dumped" her band that made her famous

but shes still cool :)

March 16, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  11. kittydevil38

I would kill to bounce a quarter off of her abs! You are always smokin' hot Gwen, keep it up...can't believe you are the mom of 2, and married to one of the sexist guys around. MAJOR KUDOS!

March 16, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mary Kinney

love Gwen and her LAMB muses.

go gwen

March 16, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  13. LICKINSHOTZ

WOOOTWOOOOT LOVE YOU GWEN
    SARAYBE IS YOUR BIGGEST FAN

March 16, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  14. laura

I will be honest I am not a big fan of her music, but she always seemed very likable and down to earth. It is nice to see someone appreciate their blessings in life and not just assume they deserve it, or take it for granted. BTW Her hubby is very handsome :) and her kids are very cute.

March 16, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Bianchiwawa

GO GWEN!!! been a fan of her since i was 7 years old. (1997) =)

March 16, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |