March 11th, 2010

Thursday night we meet our 'Idol' Top 12

testing captions
testing captions

Thursday night marks the end of the semi-finals of "American Idol."

This is where I usually make my predictions on who is headed home, but the performances this week were much more evenly matched, which makes the call more challenging.

For the girls, the only no-brainer for me is  Paige Miles whose version of "Smile" was really sub-par. It's  a shame too because she seemed like she had one of the stronger voices among the women this season. Katelyn Epperly might also be in trouble tonight after an uninspired performance on Tuesday.

As for the guys, they have done very little so far to torpedo the notion that a woman will win this season. I'm going to say that Todrick Hall and Aaron Kelly both may have something to fear on Thursday night – Hall because of his Wednesday night performance of "Somebody to Love" may have been too little too late and Kelly because for all of his 16-year-old cuteness, he seems out of his league.

Also on tap tonight is a scheduled performance from Season 8 finalists Matt Giraud and Scott MacIntyre.

After tonight we will have our Top 12, and hopefully the talent, and the songs, will pick up the pace. The first week for the finalists will reportedly be songs from the Rolling Stones and I am already afraid.

Visit our "Idol Tracker" to see who has already left us.

Join CNN tonight and  throughout the "American Idol" season as Lisa Respers France blogs live during the performance and result shows.

1. lyjo

They didn't find anything unique. DeWyze reminds me of Danny Gokey. Benami reminds me of Brooke White. Aaron Kelly reminds me of David Archuleta. Mike reminds me of Ruben Studdard. That Casey guy reminds me of Bucky Covington.

They just copy the formula over and over again.
    I have only watched two episodes this season, to see the finalists. I won't be watching anymore.

March 14, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  2. zorro

I have never missed a season of AI, but this is one that I could easily avoid and not watch. Since the producers must past judgement on what songs they are allowed to sing seems to mute the fact the judges say " you chose the wrong song, etc. etc.". Lets just think this through one minute. This is reality tv, only! Are we all so gullible to think that the actual votes cast by 11 or 12 year old kids are really considered? I should think the producers sit at a table and, like survivor, decide just how this will play out for the viewing public. Maybe the last two are chosen by the public, yea right. Last year is an example of who did not win because could an American Idol be 'maybe gay'? Give me a break. The wrong individuals were 'voted off" by the producers and not the public. This is reality tv, remember. I am done watching the lousy no talent singers this season and some equally lousy judging comments. What happened to the Alfred Hitchcock hour? At least suspenseful entertainment at it's best.

March 13, 2010 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
  3. Just A Thought

Yup – Lily should have stayed and sent Paige home instead! I wish they would go back to showing the bottom three or bottom two like they did a few seasons ago.

March 12, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  4. kathy kent

boy did they get the women wrong last night, Lily, was a breathe of fresh air, and I was hoping to see her go really far, please, she has talent, she is unique, and she has an appeal, very very wrong letting her go,
    Idol should bring her back!!!

March 12, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jackie

Alex and Lily leaving was the only part that upset me in the top 12 that made it. The rest of the picks were great!! Looks like a good season so far!!

I am very interested this season and I have my pick and will watch until the end of the season to see if i get it right agin this season!! I got it right last year!!

March 12, 2010 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  6. Rookslady

For starters, Lily is really good ! If you voted, she would have stayed, America's votes are what keeps these people on. Also, I'm really glad I don't have to see or hear much of Adam Lambert, what a loser !!! Love You ELLEN !!!

March 12, 2010 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  7. Expired

At this point, I rather watch America's Best Dance Crew.

March 12, 2010 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  8. JLR1

I think there is something wrong with Crystal... Did anyone else see Tim U. ask Crystal if she was allright when she went and gingerly attempted to sit on the stoool.. Shie looked as if she was in pain.

March 12, 2010 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
  9. Audra

I wish the contestants the best but I'm not watching this year. The show has lost its spark and after Simon is gone forget it. American what? Good luck kids!

March 12, 2010 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
  10. lala71

Suncatcher, you are so right.....couldn't agree with you more!

March 11, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  11. lala71

That's what I said girlygirl ,she did not look happy at all,hope she is feeling ok. I liked Lily, not as much as I like Crystal and Sioboan,but Katie has to go,and I am from Connecticut, I just don' think she is all that good!

March 11, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. girlygurl

I agree lala! Lily is way better than Katie! I like Crystal too, but, I wonder what was wrong with her tonight? she didnt seem too happy.

March 11, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  13. carol

Could Kara slide her chair any further away from Ellen? She is brushed right up against Simon. Her body language is so obvious.

I wonder if anyone "in the gang" last year was as rude to her as she is being to Ellen. As a viewer it is so noticeable. Even when she talks while the contestants are singing, she only turns to Simon.

What is the deal?

March 11, 2010 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Suncatcher

Lose Lily? Keep Katie? This is what happens when you have mostly 12 year olds voting on the lives of serious contestants. Like Lily said, "look at all the talent being sent home tonight."

Idol just went down in flames – for the last time. Too disappointing for the majority of viewers who recognize the talented ones – but get out voted by those who want looks over talent.

This year, talent was thin. The little girls just sent home most of the best. Nothing left to watch. Buh bye.

March 11, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. lala71

lily really? wow....Katie made it by the skin of her teeth! Lily should not have gone!

March 11, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Just A Thought

OMG...can't believe Paige is still here! What in the world do people see in her? Maybe that's my new excuse to get a new flat screen; cause my sound is apparantly shot!

I was actually right with my picks, except Lily...still can't believe she lost to Paige!

March 11, 2010 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  17. protogere

My guess will be wrong, I am sure, just because it's been a surprise each week, but here goes:
    Katie and Katelyn
    Aaron and Tim

March 11, 2010 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Caligirl

Yep – I miss Adam. I am surprised that the producers did not scout out that "wow" even controversial performer. Think about how many comments Adam would have already pulled out of people. Are people even reading this. I need to go get a life. Bye.

March 11, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  19. sarah

Agree! Up to now there're only 2-3 of them with a talent. I really hope that starting next week they'll show that this show is worth watching. By the way, I don't know why but I think Simon is starting to show his soft side as a judge. What's up with that? Is it because this is his last season on Idol?

March 11, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Dot

Like I already said – Adam Lambert set the bar too high.

March 11, 2010 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Abbie

This is the first year I can honestly say I don't even care. I'm not really lovin' any of them. Big Mike had a wow moment last night – and it's hard not to like the guy. Crystal has been wow all the way through. Other than that, they're all cuties, but ho hum. I really am disappointed this year.

March 11, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |