March 11th, 2010

Robert Pattinson 'sparkles' in new 'Twilight' trailer

Robert PattinsonThe countdown to “Eclipse,” the third installment in the “Twilight” series, is officially in full swing.

A ten second trailer was released for the film, which won't open until June 30, and it lit up the web, ramping up anticipation for the entire trailer which will be unleashed by Summit Entertainment.

Ten seconds doesn’t sound like much, but it’s just long enough for all the necessary “Twilight” components: an intense stare between Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson, Taylor Lautner walking around shirtless and then back to Stewart wearing her trademark “Twilight” mask of confusion.

It's strange timing on Summit's part, as the trailer was originally supposed to premiere before "Remember Me," to draw in the Team Edward fans who are upset about Pattinson getting cozy with Emilie de Ravin and not "staying true" to Kristen Stewart's character, Bella Swan.

For Pattinson, that kind of rabid following has been both a blessing and a curse.

On the one hand, he realizes there’s nothing he can do about his enormous fan base. As he told Parade magazine in a two-part interview, “I think you really cause yourself a lot of problems if you start fighting against it…People recognize you and they want to talk to you, or want to see you. My trick is not to see them as a crowd. If you break down every crowd into individuals, then it's more manageable.”

But on the other hand, he said, “the more people think they know you, the more you’re identified with a certain kind of role. You think people will judge you by your work, but the truth is, it’s about whether the film you’re in makes money or not. And if it’s not making money, they’re like, ‘Oh, he’s over.’”

One can also hope that by then, Patttinson will have figured out how to ask a girl on a date. Millions of women of all ages are throwing themselves at him, but the 23-year-old Brit said he still has a confidence problem.

“When it comes to the opposite sex, I'm not as fully confident as the guy I play,” he told Parade. “I don't even remember the last time I asked someone out on a date, like, just went up to them and that's the first thing I did. I'm much more self-conscious and not wanting to fail. So I tend to hold back."

Filed under: Celebrities • movies • Robert Pattinson • Twilight

1. hmmm

I don't think it's fair to judge his acting abilities on a vampire role of all things. The producers know what's going to sell and make money. It's his glare, his protectiveness...blah blah blah. None of the roles are great "actor" roles, but they're great money roles. There's only so much you can do with any of the roles really.

I look forward to seeing what else these actors can do. Kristen Stewart is doing a role as Joan Jett, Rob Pattinsoon's new movie (which I believe he agreed to before the Twilight thing when he was broke doesn't look promising, but still, I don't think the right role has come along and I hope it does. I think they'll be just fine. They're young and look how many peopel in Hollywood have reinvented themselves.

March 12, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Julia

rob pattinson is a terrible "actor" and i HATE 'twilight' they're not even books.

March 12, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Robin

Rob Pattinson is absolutely gorgeous and I think he is a good actor. He wasn't playing Einstein in Twilight. He was playing a teen-aged vampire with a conscious.

Seriously.... He played the roll very well. Plus, he's hot.

March 12, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Cade

I fully admit I am a Twi-Mom and when Rob is playing Edward he is down right gorgeous. Although, I am realistic and most of the acting in "Twilight" and "New Moon" is just okay, if not poor. There are moments when you see something special, but New Moon was not stellar by any stretch of he imagination. It had some awesome action sequences (Victoria beng chased by the wolves in the woods and the Volturi fight scene) but Kristen and Rob did not relly convince me otherwise.

With that being said, Rob is working on developing himself as an actor. He has "Remember Me" coming out today, he is working on a period piece "Bel Ami" right now and he will be shooting a movie this summer caled "Water for Elephants" with Oscar winners Reese Witherspoon and Christoph Waltz. Sean Penn may also be in it. Its a great book and completely different from "Twilight."

Even if you don't think he's handsome or a good actor, he is not resting on the success of Twilight to carry him through to other thankless or tween roles. He is diversifying and broadening his audience base. If nothing else, you have to admit he is being smart with his career. I can definitely see him have a Johnny Depp-esque career in 10 years.

March 12, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  5. nessa99

Love him. I just watched twilight last night before bed because i saw the trailor for Eclipse and it got me in the mood.. Ive read all of the books and as a i love seeing the visuals of the story, the movies do not compare. But, I do love the movies.. As far as rob goes- Hes great! I wish people would lighten up a little bit. hes a year older than me and i cant imagine being in movies and getting critisized like he is. Yea the twilight movies acting wasnt very good, but he is a good actor.. Its not like the role called for an oscar no matter what actor played edward.. Kristen stewart needs some coaching, but shes gettin better! im looking forward to seeing how well they do in the next movies! I mean think about it- When Harry Potter movies first started, the acting sucked.. now its MUCH better.. they just needed some practice!

All in All... I love Robert Pattinson! give him some time people! I cant wait to see Remember me!

March 12, 2010 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  6. La Senora

Edward is beautiful- Pattinson is handsome.

Pattinson is a very talented actor. Do not judge him on his Twilight role. He is playing that role as he should. Watch "How To Be". He is excellent! You can rent it. I saw it at festival. Great movie. He is hysterical.

I still have to see Little Ashes. Never made it to that festival. He was panned for his crazy acting, but if you know anything about Dali, he acted crazy! Spot on!

I read all the Twilight books, and Twilight and New Moon both twice. I saw Twilight 8 times in theater. It is enjoyable. Yes, parts are corny but it is entertaining. I could do without Kristin but that's another story. At least she didn't stutter as much in New Moon.

I am not a teenager but a grown woman.

March 12, 2010 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  7. Get serious

C'mon guys...Pattinson is NOT ugly...I just don't think he is a great actor....

March 12, 2010 at 7:06 am | Report abuse |
  8. Dee

Robert Pattinson is the ugliest thing in Hollywood today.

March 11, 2010 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  9. mushymushroom

The New Moon film was awesome (for me at least) and when I saw that, I was completely a convert from Team Edward to Team Jacob...or Team Lautner whatever...

Robert Pattinson is right when he said that being involved in this Twilight thing is both a curse and a blessing. For me he's like Justin Timberlake, no one takes him seriously except for the tweens when he was still with Nsync but when he went solo; slowly but surely, he wroked his way up to be respected as an RNB artist.

Robert Pattinson, I hope a decade from now, you'll win your Oscar... :)

March 11, 2010 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Carisa

Is it just me, or are the people who are more willing and anxious to pull the career rug out from underneath someone's feet more likely to be jealous or have some serious issues with their own reality. If you have a problem with someone having talent or being successful, stop hating on them and trying to destroy the good they have in their life and make some good of you OWN. You're not going to have a "happy life" throwing hate around at anyone who seems like they're doing better than you.

Pattinson is still very young but IS following the same path that many of the now beloved male actors have followed in their careers. The problem is that because he's playing a character that is part of a "franchise" some people aren't willing to admit that he's capable of doing more complex roles.

*begin sarcasm* God forbid the hateful and envious be wrong in their assumptions and judgments of successful people. *end sarcasm*

March 11, 2010 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  11. lola

johnny depp is overrated.
    have fun with that.

March 11, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  12. he who thinks people need to get a life

it makes me lol some times of how much people want to dig or make asumptions about some ones life no one has a right and the rabbid fans of stars the world over need to get a life if you lose hours of your life every day. day dreaming about a star whom you will never meet then you need some help and to tracey this is exackly the reason he has done other films he dose not want to be edward no one wants to be labeled and when fan girls or boys refur to the actors as whom they play it make it harder for them to be taken for any thing other than a soft option star............

March 11, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Leslie

And whoever said he was handsome should have their eyes checked...

March 11, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  14. tony

Pattinson is gross and a horrible actor.....Dawn – Please learn how to spell and punctuate correctly!

March 11, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Meg

i agree with Tracey in response to Get Serious ...
    back when Johnny Depp was in "21 Jumpstreet" noone would of EVER thought he'd have the career he'd have. everyone has to start somewhere.. and being Edward in the Twilight series is opening great doors for Rob. who i believe can really act but Twilight doesnt give him the materials he needs to really showcase his ability. point is .. Johnny had to prove himself over the years just like Rob is going to have to. Rob's real trouble will be once all 4 of the Twilight movies are out and his fanbase starts dying down if he can still get people to come see him in movies .. he's gonna have to choose the right movies and really show what he can do .. i believe he can. i believe Rob has a long successful career ahead of him. or atleast i hope so.

March 11, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Kimberly

Rob Pattinson & Kristen Stewart are terrible actors. Honestly, nobody can seriously admit to loving that break up scene in New Moon. It made me want to be sick. I love the books, but I'm not sure I'll be checking out the 3rd or 4th movies.

March 11, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Tracey

in response to "Get Serious"....Why are you hatin' on Rob? He is 23! You must not be old enough to remember Depp in "21 Jumpstreet" or perhaps some of his "finer" thespian theater such as "Nightmare on Elm Street" being killed off by Freddie in the first half of the movie! Johnny Depp is in his 40's! Please back off Edward and give him some time to get more meatier roles under his belt. Keep in mind, no one will hire you without experience and you can't get any experience unless someone hires you! Twilight is opening doors for Rob that, perhaps, would never be opened had it not been for this role! sounds like jealousy to me! LOL

March 11, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Dawn

Well I for one was so excited to finally see this trailor...even if it was for a mere ten seconds....i will be 40 when Eclipse comes out...(by far my favorite book of the series). Never thought I would say this...but come on 40!!!

March 11, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Get serious

"Pattinson’s ultimate goal is to try and get his name “to stand for something other than meaningless celebrity,” and he hopes to have a career on par with Johnny Depp’s at some point."

Please....there is NO WAY Pattinsons name should be mentioned in the same sentence as Depp. He MAY get away with a career like Crispin Glover....but that will be a stretch

March 11, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |