March 10th, 2010

The men of 'Idol's' Top 16 take to the stage

testing captions
testing captions

9:56 p.m.- "This Woman's Work." Another one of my jams. Maxwell. Another one of my favorites.

"Big Mike" Lynche showed some hubris singing that song, and his performance came across a little cocky to me. Not that he can't sing. He can definitely sing, but he was all over that stage like "Feel me. Love me." Plus, I like cocky sometimes.

And before you start blowing up the comments, I know Kate Bush originally sang the song. Kara tried pulling a Paula by crying over it. That was some utter foolishness right there!

9:48 p.m. – When he first started singing, I thought Todrick Hall was pulling an Adam Lambert. I swear that jacket looked like the Kmart version of Adam's finale outfit when he performed with KISS last season.

I hate when Simon says someone is too Broadway as if that is a diss.

9:39 p.m. – Oh Aaron Kelly. I know fans have high hopes for you to be the next David Archuleta, but honey, I don't think you are quite there yet.

His "Already There" started out so messed up that I would have changed the channel were it not for my blogging duties. He picked it up toward the end, but he definitely is no Arch at this point. Perhaps he'll grow a bit more? He's so earnest and sweet.

I'm glad that Simon cut Kara to the quick. You don't have to be a middle-aged dude to sing the song. It's telling a story, like Aaron said. Good for him wanting to be a narrator!

9:36 p.m.- Casey James really is a cutie, and I think he should just go ahead and cut that hair.

The whole time he was performing "You'll Think of Me," I thought it was the most un-country version of that Keith Urban song I have heard. It was borderline dull for me, but the kid can sing. No doubt.

9:27 p.m. - I see Andrew Garcia got our memo.

His "Genie in a Bottle" was the Andrew we fell in love with - that artist who can take a song and make you say "No, he didn't just do that!"

Ever since Kris Allen ripped it on"Heartless," I've been loving contestants who can take a popular song and reconstructed it.

The judges didn't love him, but seriously I stopped listening to them awhile ago. BOO judges and welcome back Andrew!

9:18 p.m. – I am praying  for Tim Urban. I mean, come on, seriously this guy is the next "American Idol?"

His version of Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah" was only great if you compare it to the hot mess he has offered up so far. Simon saying this was his strongest performance so far is really not saying much.

And Ellen running up to hug him was just too, too much.

9:12 p.m. – Oh no you didn't Alex Lambert!

I love "Trouble," and that song needs some grown-man growl in it,  not little boy squeak. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't fantastic either. Worry, worry, worry, worry, worry. Worry just won't leave me alone this "Idol" season.

9:04 p.m. – Lee Dewyze is growing on me.

I liked his version of "Fireflies." Ellen says his pitch problems don't matter cause people have crushes on him. You still have to be able to sing well E.

Lee is starting to feel like a real artist and I like that he said he's trying to focus on the critiques in an attempt to grow. That's what we like to hear.

1. Jan Dixon

Seriously, all of these negative comments are just too much!!!! Why not place yourself in their position , trying to put your best effort forward to pursue your dream in front of millions of people, how many of you would do an outstaning job????????Why is that Americans are always so willing to tear another person down!!!!!
    My hat is off to all of them because they are not sitting back saying " I wish I could " they are taking a chance at their dreams and I think that is GREAT!!!!!!

March 11, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  2. mcmmwm

I have tried and tried to get into this season but I am done watching. These people are terrible! Everyone is pretty much off key and have no stage presence. Also, I love Ellen but this is not her forte. She has become an embarassment to watch. Yikes!

March 11, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Joshua Weikel

I think tonight was just mediocre, the only performance that I would call even good, was Lee. Alex was decent. But I think that everyone is being judged based on previous performances rather than the actaul quality of the performance...this show is for the best singer, not most improved. If that were the case, then Tim's chances would astronomical and Crystal's would be non-existant. I think they all showed imporvement, except for Casey.

And Andrew is now on my list of people to boycott. He took a chance with "Strait Up" and it went over big, and now he tries to do again, that's not creativity, i'ts a gimmick, and it doesn't fly with me. Aaron will forever be on the list because he forgot the lyrics twice in Hollywood, and still made it, complete bull, goes against the biggest thing they preach...not his fault that he made it, but he shouldn't be there, plain and simple. They have gotten rid of alot of people in the past because they forgot their lyrics, many of them were better singers. But he has the look that the teeny boppers like, so they put him through. It's not all about singing, but it's definitely not all about looks either. That move alone almost made me quit idol, after not missing an episode since I started watching in season 2.

March 11, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. The Best Critic

Kara cried only because she was humbled by Simon's retort earlier about her criticism to Aaron's song choice. That started a cycle of emotions leading to her crying at the end.

March 11, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jan Dixon

Give me a break!!!!!!! To be an enteratainer means you have to be a little "cocky"!!! For those of you hating on Big Mike, he can sing, he has a very nice voice and range....I doubt that the majority of you can sing a note but you are entitled too your opinion and everyone has one.
    You try to get up there week after week and deliver a performance that will stand out!!! I think as Americans we are far too critical of people. I give them all a thumbs up for pursing their dreams no matter what "we" think!!!

March 11, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Brenda

I think it was all mediocre. I don't see any WOW factor with the
    this group, I am really, really dissapointed with this years singers. I do believe the girls are somewhat better though. Time will tell...

March 11, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Maria

I can't stand Big Mike! He is beyond cocky. He is always trying to be seen on the camera. He is a good singer, but his cockiness makes me not want to listen to him. Kara crying was ridiculous! It wasn’t that moving! Also, I didn’t like how Ellen hugged Tim. I thought this show was supposed to be about the contestants not the judges-Silly me!

March 11, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Joe

what the hec... Big Mike might have been on key....but who would buy that album? TERRIBLE. Andrew may have only hit three notes, but I'd listen to that all day long....

March 11, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. iamcanadian!

I'm amazed at the talent these kids have, because I cannot even sing "happy bday" my voice is so bad...so yes some are better than others, but they can get up there and do what they do and try to fullfill a dream...go for it, give it your best! My best is Crystal for the females and Lee, just because I like that tone of voice...a little rough...Kara get a grip woman, stop acting like an idiot with Simon, it's getting really old. Act like you're married and that you have some respect for your husband and Simon's fiance.

March 11, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Chris

I'm starting to feel like there should be an instrument quota. Ok, we've heard five people play the guitar on a stool, save it for next time. I appreciate a changeup like anyone else but this starts to get a bit monotonous performance after performance.

That said, I thought the guys were more consistent than the ladies. The ladies were either phenomenal or bad and there are droves of them I wouldn't mind being sent home. When it comes to the guys, though, I thought they really stepped it up. Too bad we can't just send 4 women home this week and call it even!

March 11, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Aaron

Ok the show started out a little rough, but it got really good at the end... like two minutes AFTER the show was over! How can anyone say that ANY of these performances were all that good? It is so bad this year that we are applauding mediocracy. People, please! Divert your eyes, stop focusing on who think is cute and just listen to them for a minute. None of them were that good and certainly nothing that you will remember tomorrow. I am sure that votefortheworst is having a field day this year. Who in the world do you pick for the worst when they ALL can fit into that category!

March 11, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  12. The Best Critic

Judging by the low number of comments here, Idol must have really bored away some people. In my opinion last year we had a contestant who was the culmination of what Idol seems to be about (mostly): finding confident contestant who can sing really, really loud (Adam Lambert). This season's contestants should take note from Adam and give America and the judges what they like to hear.

I didn't like Adam, but just making a point. By the way, the reason Kara cuddles near Simon is because she is attracted to power. I just feel sorry for her boy toy husband.

I liked Todrick, Big Mike, Casey James. Didn't love any performance. I hope these talented guys can find a niche. None of them have staying power at the moment. I'm saying goodbye to Aaron Kelly (bad singing this week) and his Forrest Gump stage presence. I'd rather see Tim Urban go out of everyone else.

March 11, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  13. gs

yeah, you lost me at "but the kid can sing. No doubt.", unless if by "the kid can sing" you mean casey james is capable of producing notes with his voice that have a pitch. why why why do we celebrate such outrageously average singers on this show? i feel like i'm taking crazy pills

March 11, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jason

I couldn't agree MORE with you, Lisa! Spot on blog about the entire episode. Especially about Tim.... Sure, Hallelujah was better than his first two abyssmal performances, but it can't be too hard to be better than ZERO. He and Aaron need some more work, and I don't think they're quite ready for the Top 12.

March 11, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Mike Hawthorne

I heard that Kara was crying because she and her husband have been trying to have a baby and it hasn't been working out... the song brought up a lot of sadness... those weren't crocodile tears and Simon understood what was going on.

March 11, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Pat

I wish Randy would speak English. All he ever says is some combination of "yo yo yo ", "dude" "that note" "dawg" "a little pitchy" and "yo it was hot".

Ugh.

March 11, 2010 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  17. daddysgirl

protogere, Aaron's song is not by Rascal Flatts, it is a Lonestar song.

March 11, 2010 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  18. calvysgirl

I think Todrick was amazing!!! Who thought he could have pulled off a Queen song but he did. I am so glad he is showing his ability to sing.

March 11, 2010 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  19. Eric the Actor

Is it me or does Andrew Garcia looks like he should be singing with the ladies? Seriously he dresses like a lesbian. The earrings, the hair, the clothes...not a good look.

March 11, 2010 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  20. Cathi

I just don't understand the Big Mike love. I sat there and thought, WOW that was really bad, but the judges loved it??? Why?? I just don't get it. I have asked at least 20 people today and they all agreed with me.

March 11, 2010 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  21. Jackie

A couple of points to make... I think Kara was PMSing. So whatever there...and to Jason- They did eventually say Hallelujah was Jeff Buckley's version of Leonard Cohen's song. :) Even though they are so similar- lol. And this cnn writer needs to up her knowledge on music. (comment on Kris Allen's version of Heartless.) hello!!??? :)

March 11, 2010 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  22. mb

What are the contestants thinking when the judges are talking to them and at the same time "playing with each other" – Simon and Kara are being so unfair to the singers – Kara's phony tears were the end for me – I can not believe the producers are going to allow Kara to be the demise of AI......

March 11, 2010 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  23. Mike

Am I the only person that think's there is some bad blood between Ellen and Kara? Just look at there body language they don't even look at each other. I think thats why Kara is sitting so close to Simon.

March 11, 2010 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  24. JC

I DVR'd the two nights and ended up watching them back-to-back. Came away with a few impressions: 1) contrary to what I thought before, the girls are much, much better than the boys; 2) however, with the exception of 3 of the girls, the rest sound exactly like each other making it incredibly boring; 3) while the boys aren't as good as the girls, they are at least unique making them a little more interesting, even though they don't sound as good.

It is still painfully apparent who should be in the final 6, and we are going to be stuck for another month waiting patiently.....

Prediction – Final 4 will have 3 girls and 1 guy.

March 11, 2010 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  25. Lvit2Bieber

Does Kara need a cold shower or what?? Her hanging all over SC this season is almost as creepy as her fixation with Casey James!! I'll take Paula and Simons battling any day versus KD looking like she needs a hormone adjustment!! Thought the guys were a great but totally disagree with the judges on Todrick's version of 'Somebody to Love'...BLEAH!! I thought it was terrible; pitchy, show-tuney and cheezy it takes huge huevos to attempt Freddie Mercury and Todrick is no Adam Lambert. Biggest surprise for me Tim Urban..wow!! In my universe Andrew and Todrick are going home.

March 11, 2010 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  26. Wayne M.M.J

"Todrick's "Somebody To Love" seemed like such an odd choice to me. Queen? Really? But I couldn't help liking it, and I am almost mad at myself for that. There was a disconnect that makes me want to not like it."

I agree. I thought it was a different version of the song but he pulled it off. It worked and that's what's important. I was busy at the time and had the show on but caught only portions of it. Usually last year I used to tape them in case I missed it then watch it back. Forgot to do that. Just so busy this year.

"I hate when Simon says someone is too Broadway"

Not really! Even though Simon may say that since he has sooooo much experience in the music business he knows when someone fits into a category or a type of specialized music scene like Broadway. I could hear that guy in Broadway and Broadway is HUGE so that may be a great area to pursue. He may very well pull it off off Broadway and come out with something that astonishes people, fans, and so on.

Yeah there was that one guy who sort of had the David Archuleta look.
    Not his vocals though. I've listened to David Archuleta's music very closely and David is one of a kind. Amazing singer... Probably pitch perfect and I think I used to under estimate him a little until I really listened. But I have to watch the show again. Just quick thoughts.

Mike – This guy from the very first time I ever saw him (Teddy Bear) ! Mike!! I knew he had some sort of amazing talent. You can hear/See that in his first audition video. Bless Him and congrats on his child (Baby). I think he is great...

If I can watch it all over again somewhere I will. I sort of think the girls did a little better. Funny thing is that girl that did the Tracy Chaplin song was just as great as Mike. So those two people are stoke in my mind as two of the most amazing people this season. There was another girl that sung amazing well too. But Simon told her she did not do anything amazing that made the song her own. I felt she had it big time too but just needs to probably make a song her own a little more. Amazing talents out there!! Good luck to everyone.

I think Kara is cool. I like her very much. She knows what shes talking about and she gives constructive feed back that helps. She is not perfect but she is an amazing talent her self. Simon has been a little
    more of a gentle men but that toughness drives the contestants to better them selves somewhat. Last night there was some action in the air. Randy in a bikini. Yup! Kara Crying.. Simon holding her and Ellen running... Ellen run more.... Get the contestants to run around with you.. Don't tire them out then they actually may perform better. Joking... A little fun helps the nigh flow better and people can relax a little. Keep it coming folks.

Wayne

March 11, 2010 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  27. Sarah

Don't know about everyone else; but Big Mike left my husband and me looking at each other with giant question marks on our faces and then to have the judges gush like they did was utterly perplexing. We were expecting them to rip him apart; but instead, it was a total Love Big Mike Fest. I said to my husband that the dude's presence must really fill the room to have moved the judges like that; but it didn't come over the telly at all. It will be interesting to see what the judges say after watching it again.

I thought Todrick did really well with his song choice. When I heard what he was singing, I cringed; but I thought he pulled it off. Casey was off. He needs to change his wardrobe up a bit. I feel like he's wearing the same outfit week-after-week.

Bowersox is the only one who is really shining bright at this point. She's consistently solid.

March 11, 2010 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  28. jaz

Tim Urban's version was very mediocre. I don't get it.

March 11, 2010 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
  29. show dog mom

mushymushroom: "For the females, it's Crystal Bowersox hands down..." Are we listening to the same woman??? Every week it's just a variation on the same boring song. All she does is stand there with that matted hair....UGH.
    Did you even give Siobhan a listen??? Is "mushymushroom" referring to your brain?

Except for Mike (who is OH so hard to look at) the boys all stunk.

March 11, 2010 at 7:29 am | Report abuse |
  30. vegan

Is it just me, or does someone else think that the first four guys' vocals sounded the same?

And just like last season with Adam Lambert, did someone else catch Kara undressing Casey James with her eyes?

March 11, 2010 at 4:37 am | Report abuse |
  31. Flor

I liked Alex Lambert. I loved his version of Trouble. I did not really like any one else. I am so ready to leave AI, it just isnt the same anymore without Paula. Kara trys way too hard and is an idiot. N
    ow trying to play some of the games Paula and Simon did is just way overboard. I lost it completely for her when after she melted over the cowboy she then went total 180 and dogged him. I guess hubby gave her a talking too.

March 11, 2010 at 3:01 am | Report abuse |
  32. Robyn

Andrew is BACK!! Were the judges even LISTENING to him??? He has such a sultry, soulful voice and yet they diss him and give praises to Tim who is a hot mess on stage! I don't get it. Lee is growing on me too, each week he gets better. Strange song for him tonite but he did well. I also love Big Mike....going home tomorrow SHOULD be Tim and Alex Lambert. Go Andrew!!! I voted for you for 30 minutes tonite!

March 11, 2010 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  33. eb

Casey can sing and look good at the same time and Mike Lynche is awesome I hope they both make to the top ten.

March 10, 2010 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  34. jen

kara was being ridiculous....she's so annoying this season. she contradicts herself...in week 1 she told one singer he should've changed a song more and then 2 singers later she told someone to "just sing it as it is", she babbles on and on about nothing, and she flat out flirts with simon and ignores ellen and even randy!! there's no fun left in this show

March 10, 2010 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  35. kyle

@michele Never assume what people write here is what the rest of America actually believes.. In the world of the internet, when someone makes a comment, the others usually piggy back off of the comment.. From what I read here some nights, you would think that American Idol has terrible ratings... and we all know that's not true

March 10, 2010 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  36. salto de altura

Was I watching the same show as the judges? Is it me or were all the guys either average or just forgettable? I'm still thinking of Crystal and Didi's performance from last night.

March 10, 2010 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  37. michele

i gather kara was being a dork huh..from what i'm reading here

March 10, 2010 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Just A Thought

Wow, based on tonight alone, Andrew is not safe! Alex, not safe! Both were not that great. I hope Andrew has alot of fans cause he was off tonight! Even Aaron was not that good either. Surprised at tonights guys!

My prediction Alex, and unfortunately Todrick! go home!

March 10, 2010 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  39. idolwatcher

Just got in from work and flipped on the tube to see Todrick and Mike sing. Missed everyone else but saw the recaps. Awful, awful, awful Mike – cocky, yes. But he was the ONLY one who really sang well at all! Glad I didn't have to spend time watching the rest of it!

March 10, 2010 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  40. protogere

I usually like Big Mike but that really just left me going huh? I'm with you Lisa, he just seemed to be showing off, not emotionally delivering a message. Yeah, he has some amazing range and staying power, but it just seemed like a song – not anything to write home about or certainly break into weeping. Oh lord Kara, please. My teenage daughter has better crocodile tears!
    Best performance of ALL of the live shows all along? What Simon??

March 10, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Brownivygal

WAIT, tears...??????? REALLY. But you were like sitting there chitchatting with Simon like two seconds ago. TEARS?!?!?!?! come on Kara.

But he did do VERY well. To go from high to low to normal is crazy.

March 10, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Brownivygal

I love it when Big Mike kicks out his leg. This was a very NICE ending. Great Job.

March 10, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  43. protogere

I thought Todrick's rendition was really nice. I didn't like the intro, but the rest of the way was really powerful.

March 10, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Brownivygal

YES TODRICK!!! That's what we want to hear when we listen to AI. Absolutely LOVED that performance. It did sound like it was taking me to church. Why's Kara hating???

March 10, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  45. mushymushroom

Hey Jason, yeah Hallelujah was Leonard Cohen's original, I loved that song when I heard Paramore sang some of it to intro their own Hallelujah song...

Bon Jovi's version was also awesome...well, I'm just saying...

On Idol, well, I haven't seen the performances yet, it's 10:46am here in Manila and I'm in my office so I can't watch...just checking out the updates here...I hope Tim Urban really rocked it like some posters here say... :)

March 10, 2010 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  46. protogere

Pat, I agree. The judges are all so disconnected from each other this season it feels weird. They just don't interact except for the forced little antics.

March 10, 2010 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Barbara P.

Aaron Kelly was so off key that I waited for the judges to slam his perfomance – I really like this kid, but this was not his night. Ellen was, unbelievably, the only one to really say anything negative. I agree that the judges have to quit saying young people can't sing these songs – you gotta start somewhere – you don't have to have lived it to understand it.

March 10, 2010 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  48. protogere

Wow that started off rough, painfully rough. Aaron picked it up by the chorus but he missed about every note in that whole melody. I think he should stay away from Rascal Flatts songs, his voice is so similar I just want to compare him all of the time.
    Lisa, Kara made a great point, for once. The thing is she approaches judging as a writer, she listens to the words and what she said is right, at 16 he can't deliver it. Yeah, he can tell it 3rd person, but until you've been a parent figure away from your kids, it's difficult to give it the just emotion.
    That song came out after 9-11 and I have always associated it with that and perhaps it's just me, but it deserves a lot more feeling than a kid can deliver.
    And Simon, what are you talking about 'stop telling them don't do this or do that you'll confuse them' – I love Simon and I usually connect with his criticism, but hello?! He's the king of critiquing people and telling them what to do or not do and criss crossing himself the following week.

March 10, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Brownivygal

YES!!!!! I LOVE Simon's comment about Kara's comment. EXACTLY, stop judging what songs people should sing because of their age. Vocals? that's okay. Age? that's discrimination. lol

March 10, 2010 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  50. mushymushroom

I really hope that Alex, Lee and Casey can make it through to the top12! I also root for Andrew...!

For the females, it's Crystal Bowersox hands down...

March 10, 2010 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Brownivygal

I really wanted to like Aaron's performance. Think the lyrics are beautiful (never heard it before) but I don't think he did well.

March 10, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Pat in IL

Kare is getting more and more "classless" as time goes on. What's with the cuddling with Simon thing? I'm getting the feeling thatr she is constantly trying to distance herself ffrom Ellen, because not only does she scoot away from her, but she also never interacts with her. Weird! Ellen is a breath of fresh air on the show, because she has a very intact ego and just enjoys her job of judging – and does a good of it.

March 10, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  53. protogere

The only positive thing about that is that they didn't play to Kara's whole 'cougar' routine.
    Casey did a halfway decent job, but nothing to remember.
    Again with the rushing? Ryan didn't even allow him to respond to the judges.

March 10, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  54. michele

lol pro.....all i hope is casey gets send home so Kara can go and do her stupid drooling over him in privacy

March 10, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Brownivygal

I thought Casey's performance was REALLY good. And of course people want to be "safe"! It's the last cut before the top 12.

March 10, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  56. rome114

kris allen's version of heartless is just a rip off of the fray's version. not that creative. also, i watched his concert here in manila. plain boring vanilla.

March 10, 2010 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Just A Thought

Andrew is one of my favs; but song was not good! I think he's still gonna go thru, but wow that was BAD!

March 10, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  58. protogere

YES!!!!! Here's the Andrew I wanted to win so badly! I think he could have cleaned it up vocally a bit better, I can't help but wonder if it was a last minute change as he usually is so much better vocally.
    I also think that perhaps for his sake, perhaps Stand Up was an out of the box moment for him and not his root style and then it was so amazing to EVERYONE he is somewhat stuck in that style.

March 10, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  59. protogere

LoL Michele, this is my one little addiction and no one else in my house will endure it so I can't just change the channel! LoL

March 10, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Jason

Just wanted to point out that Hallelujah was written and performed by Leonard Cohen first.(Not Jeff Buckley)

March 10, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Brownivygal

hahahaha, I loved that Andy Garcia sung Genie in A Bottle. hahahaha. wow. I thought he sounded good. and he has such a great personality, i hope he stays!

March 10, 2010 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  62. michele

CNN is not posting my cvcomment...i said.....AI bloody well sucks this year..and i am so ticked off because Ellen is taking Paula's place Ellen should be sitting in Paula's chair not that other...thing

March 10, 2010 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  63. edie

I quit watching Idol when u added Eileen to the jugdeing panel. She knows nothing about music. Dump her and I will come back.

March 10, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  64. E from Houston

Hey Lisa, Tim Urban was good! I think most people including myself have been hard on this season but this was really good.

March 10, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Just A Thought

Ellen was right about the squished bannana, but most people usually throw them away at that point! Think thats the future for this bannana too!

March 10, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  66. catspells

Urban was awesome!

March 10, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Just A Thought

Tim Urban – Halleluiah !! I am a fan, after that! Great performance!

March 10, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Cathy

Tim, all I can say is fantastic performance and you are yummy!!!!!!!!!!

March 10, 2010 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  69. ana

wow! Tim Urban actually rocked today with Aleluyah,
    I loved Simmon's comments!

March 10, 2010 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  70. protogere

What are they hearing?? I thought he just butchered a beautiful song. Why isn't Tim gone yet? It is at least from Simon, true, the best from him all year – but that isn't saying a lot, really.

March 10, 2010 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  71. michele

hey pro,,,,,i turned the station...reading the updates here...i watch kara anymore...we'll need more buckets in this house...lol

March 10, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  72. protogere

Oh lord, let the banana thing go please Ellen.
    I loved this performance, but not in a wow! way, just a very smooth way. Randy took the words out of my mouth with Redding. Yeah, I see what you are saying, he could have dressed it up with some fierceness, but I liked how soothing he did it.

March 10, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  73. protogere

I am not a fan of that song anyhow, but Lee was so off key it was almost unbearable. And what is Ellen talking about – yes, studios have tools to help smooth out rough spots but if you need that much work then you probably aren't AI winner material.
    I did like the fact he went with the guitar, I don't know, I just like seeing the artists show casing more than just vocals – vocals should be the focus yes, but it's nice to see multi-talented contestants as opposed to one trick ponies.

March 10, 2010 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  74. michele

i watched the first 3 minutes then turned the station...........nuff said...stupid kara looking for attention again...

March 10, 2010 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |