March 10th, 2010

'Lost:' The redemption of Benjamin Linus?

I don't know about you, but I was absolutely floored by Tuesday night's episode of "Lost" - no doubt the best episode of the season. The themes behind this final season are finally taking shape, and like most great episodes, it got my brain's gears a-turning.

This week's episode focused on Benjamin Linus, which is usually a very good sign. One would think that after killing Jacob, there wouldn't be much else to explore about this character. One would be wrong.

In a previous "flash-sideways," we met Dr. Linus, the high school teacher and sometimes-colleague of substitute John Locke. Like Ben on the island, he craves power and is a very gifted liar. We learn one of the most intriguing bits of information this week - Ben's father, who is still alive, mentions that they joined up with the Dharma Initiative and lived on the island but eventually left.

When his star student Alex (yes, that Alex, his adopted daughter on the island) shares a little dirt on the principal, Ben of course takes advantage by bribing the principal to resign and give him the job. What he doesn't know is that Alex's recommendation letter hangs in the balance, and suddenly the shoe is on the other foot. We know that in the alternate timeline, these characters are destined to be in each other's lives (including Arzt, Ben's fellow teacher), but are our castaways doomed to make similar decisions as well?

In the "normal" timeline, Ilana finds out (thanks to Miles, who is fast becoming a favorite character) that Ben killed Jacob and soon orders him to dig his own grave. The Man in Black frees Ben and as part of the bargain, Ben must kill Ilana, Jacob's closest ally - not unlike how Sayid had to kill Dogen and Lennon. Apparently "Smokey" is unable to kill certain people close to Jacob. Was Sawyer asked to make a similar bargain?

Both on and off the island, Ben makes the right choice (or so it seems, anyway). He tells Ilana of how he sacrificed his daughter for the island, for Jacob... but now he is truly sorry he did it. Instead of Ben killing Ilana, the two make their peace. In the "flash-sideways," Ben doesn't sacrifice Alex for power, after all, and it looks like she is on the fast track to Yale.

Like I said, this episode really got me thinking. For example:

- Are we witnessing the beginning of Ben's redemption? Is such a thing possible after everything he's done?

- Jack and Hurley run into Richard in the jungle, and he takes them there to the Black Rock, so they can kill him. It turns out he has been "cursed," in his words, with eternal youth and the inability to take his own life, and came to this realization when Jacob, the man for whom he did everything, died. In fact, he says that Jacob's touch is a curse. We know that all of the candidates were touched by Jacob.

- Jack's experience at the lighthouse certainly seems to have changed him, which may have been Jacob's plan all along. Now we have Jack the Believer, who is willing to light an unstable stick of dynamite - one of the most intense scenes this season - to prove to the suicidal Richard that Jacob has a bigger plan for him. Is Jack destined to be the new Jacob? The very concept of destiny is a major theme of the last two seasons.

- Sun is now the latest candidate to learn about her candidacy. Ilana says there are six candidates. That would be Jack, Hurley, Sayid(?), Sawyer, one (or both) of the Kwons, and... Kate?

- Where is Jin? Where is Sawyer? What's Ilana's story?

- Despite everything, Lapidus ended up on the island (and don't forget, the smoke monster killed Oceanic 815's pilot).

- Is the alternate timeline some odd wish fulfillment for the castaways?

- See, even Nikki and Paulo served a purpose - to make Miles rich.

- More terrific music towards the end as Jack, Hurley and Richard meet up with Ilana's group on the beach, by "Up's" Oscar-winning composer Michael Giacchino. And after that scene, Charles Widmore is looking at them from a submarine. What's his endgame?

What do you think? Did you like this episode as well? Do you think Ben is on the road to redemption? Share your theories and thoughts on video, or in the comments below.

1. car games

Usually I do not learn article on blogs, however I wish to say that this write-up very pressured me to take a look at and do it! Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thanks, quite great article.

January 8, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  2. nikki

also....do we know that michael actually died on the boat?
    christian came to him at the end and said that he can leave.
    now, i am sooo over michael and his "sad" little story. i was done with him in season one!! but i'm glad he came back in season two and shot anna lucia! HATED HER!!
    i was just wondering if Christian was the man in black before locke.
    remember when jack took locke's shoes from the casket because ben said that would help him come back to life on the island?
    In season one with the episode of "the white rabbit" jack sees his dead father up walking around...in tennis shoes!!!!
    so that's why i'm thinking that christian may have been the man in black prior to locke.

March 12, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  3. nikki

i'm loving this last season. however, i hate that all of the crash survivors are taking sides when they should be together.
    shannon IS coming back to the show...but it may just be a small appearance like boone and charlie (who they should bring back by the way...along with echo)
    I'm rewatching the entire series and have just started season three. I absolutely love the character of Ben!! And this past episode where he is redeemed...made me so happy.
    I really want Sun and Jin to be reunited, but I don't think they will be which makes me sad.
    I'm glad we are doing without kate's back and forth between jack and sawyer. it was getting really old!!!
    I love all of these theories that sayid is just pretending to be on mock locke's side. I have always loved sayid.
    I don't think hurley will be a good candidate for the island, because remember what a hard time he had when he was put in charge of the food when they first found the hatch?
    It would be interesting to see what Rousseuo looked like in the real world and not all survivor fashion.
    i just don't see how all of these questions will be answered by May 18th!!! I can't wait to see what happens!!!!

March 12, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ian

Don't forget about Jack's tattoo that he got when he was in Thailand during season 3. If i recall correctly, i believe it had something to do with Jack being "destined to be a leader"...

March 11, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jeremy

I think that in the end it will be Kate who's the new Guardian of the Island. I think she's a sort of mole withing Team Smoke (she never really accepted and offer from Smokey as others did, she's just sort of tagging along). I think in the end, she'll be the one to foil Smokey's plan and take over Jabob's position.

March 11, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. H. gibson

Michael was unable to kill himself either and I don't recall him ever being touched by Jacob.

March 11, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mod

Ry Guy-Sun has killed someone. Third Season she shot and killed a female Other on Desmond's sailboat (can't recall her name) whose husband then sought revenge against Sawyer and Kate while they were in the bear cages.

I cannot recall anyone that Jack has killed, feel free to correct my ignorance though.

Jeff-Michael Emerson won an Emmy last year for Supporting Actor–so well deserved. I agree with someone who earlier said that he and Terry O'Quinn should both recieve one for this season!

March 11, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. JENN

i don't even remember who nikki and paulo are. so much happens on lost and all the different 'timelines' are so confusing. i've watched since day 1 but honestly think in order to remember everything i need to go buy all the seasons and watch non-stop.

March 11, 2010 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  9. The L

Jeff,
    There aren't any problems with your theory. What you're not taking into consideration is the resurrection of the original/actual Locke in the pool where Dogen died. Dogen's death took the murki-ness out of the pool of eternal healing (my theory). The actual revived Locke will be aligned with Jack, Ben and Hurley. So there you go...the piece of your puzzle that was missing.

March 11, 2010 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  10. Suzanne

The 'Kwon' candidate could be Sun and Jin's child... Jacob touched both of them at their wedding.

March 11, 2010 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  11. bigbearerickso

Garden of Eden.... or The lost City/Island of Atlantis?

March 11, 2010 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
  12. 2SeasonLostVet

I haven't seen anyone comment on Juliette's post-death thoughts as revealed by Miles. He told Sawyer that she wanted to tell him (from the grave,) "it worked." How does that fit in with the Locke team vs Jacob team – doesn't it mean we have to see Juliette in here again somewhere? And where IS Sawyer?

March 11, 2010 at 1:07 am | Report abuse |
  13. Deb

Locke is the 6th candidate, not Kate.

March 10, 2010 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  14. starlight

I actually cried for Ben.....cripes lol... That was a great show and I was sad when I realized it was over... I can NOT wait for next week!!

March 10, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Easterbunny

Did anyone see the book on the beach when Ben picked up the bottle of water? It was called "THE CHOSEN" by Chaim Potok. This book is about two jewish boys in 1967 and their different points of view in 3 different time periods in their life. DING DING DING!! Read the synopsis. I will not spoil it. Look it up and read it. WOW... there are some serious similarities.

March 10, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  16. willie mays

It shall be fun to watch.

The blog is about the show, but I would be remiss to not admonish Peter. As a teacher in a poor school, I can attest to the ambition it takes to work with kids at any level at any socio-economic status. Don't take shots, please, at the most important people in our society. I thought it was a great juxtaposition to see the great manipulator turned into such a solid contributor (especially since he tried to oust an ineffective/unprofessional principal but backed off for the betterment of a student - and I wouldn't bet against alt-Ben being the principal by the end and hiring Locke full-time.)

A thought on the comment about the Black Rock in the middle of the jungle: there's been a lot of talk about parallels with biblical references so consider that Noah's ark allegedly landed on top of a mountain. "Yeah, but the world was flooded and that's where the ark was when the water receded." True, but the island has the ability to submerged (flooded?) and emerge and that could have been how the Black Rock was trapped on the island in the first place.

It's no wackier than any other plot line on the show.

March 10, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  17. teresa

I loved this episode. It showed the Oceanic 6 taking sides, although I hope those with Smokey change their minds. Due to this being the last season, I think the sideways stories are there to show us what happened to our favorite characters off the island due to the bomb exploding. These are their current lives. The other story on the island is to show the war between good and evil and end of the island. I love Lost and so appreciate its brilliance.

March 10, 2010 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Jeff

So, in this episode, it was again alluded to that "the wrong side would win" unless Locke returned to the island. Although he died on the mainland, his body did return to the island. Wonder if this counts? He, or the fake him (Smokey), clearly is the central character in this final season. Regardless, I think the writers did a disservice by killing him off. I also think they may have made him Smokey after realizing what a popular character he was. He was, after all, the only one to win an Emmy, I believe, for his performance.

March 10, 2010 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Andy

Theory 1: Jacob and the Smoke Being and two arch angels that have fallen from grace by their Creator. They are positioning for a way to return "home."

Theory 2: Jacob and the Smoke Being are two halves of a single entity which was split into two opposing forces by some calamity.

Theory 3: Widmor plays some sort of role in #1 or #2 above.

March 10, 2010 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Wicket

I hope Ben is redeemed, he's such an amazing character. I fear he could be lying again, though.

March 10, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  21. chris k

I think that Sayid may have actually saved Dogen's life by killing him in the temple pool. That way Dogen was already dead when the smoke monster came and killed everyone in the temple and we all know that the pool has restoring properties. Not so sure about Lennon, he had his throat cut and probably bled out before the pool could heal him. I don't think Sayid has turned to the dark side, I feel like he knows he's pretty much damned for his past but not evil. I also think that Sawyer will reemerge and do something heroic that tips the scales in favor of the good side, ironically helping or even saving Jack and the others and thayt he may die doing it. Maybe all the characters in the flash sideways are the ones who don't make it off the island but are rewarded for their deeds and for what they learned and how they improved themselves.

March 10, 2010 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Trish

couple of things I haven't seen mentioned. The kwons were touched together... therefore I think the candidate has a good chance of being their unborn child.... Also I think was significant that in the early season Claire and Aaron were baptized by Echo who felt that it was of upmost importance..... any thoughts...

March 10, 2010 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Carlos

I don't know why everyone thinks because Jacob touched canadidates that means they are immortal. All Richard said was if you were touched you could not kill yourself. Sayid was shot be Ben's dad and "died" Locke was killed my Ben so the canadites can die. They just cannot kill themselves. Also they are not ageless like Richard. Sewyer and Kate were touched at very young ages.
    This may get confussing so bare with me.......
    If Sayid never went back to the Darma days then young Ben never would have helped him escape and Ben never would have been shot and needed to heal in the temple. That is when he became "evil" Ben. Perhapes Ben's dad got help with his drinking and that is why they left the island in the flash-sideways.
    I was so happy to see Ben's redemption. If anyone on the island needed it it was him. He is an amazing actor. Can't believe in the begining he was almost a no body.
    There is obviosly something anti-Locke is not telling us. He needs someone to "be in charge" when he is gone. So Jacob needs someone to replace him willingly and anti-Locke needs someone to replace him willingly as well. I think the final "battle" will come down to Jack and Locke. The whole series they have been fighting it out. I am hoping Clair kills Kate because she drives me crazy.
    Please explain to me how the Black Rock got into the middle of the island and give me more background on Richard. Sayid seems to be beyond redemtion....will the new Jacob be Jack and the new MIB be Sayid? Also, please explain why women cannot have babies on the island.
    Also, Kate was a candidate at some point. Damon and Carlton said in an interview that her name is on the wall scratched out, but due to editing we never saw it. She was one at one point, but her name was crossed out.

March 10, 2010 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Barry

Actually it is 9 more episodes UNTIL the finale (2 hours), so they have 11 hours to get the questions answered.

Cave list was MiB's; lighthouse was Jacob's. Kate is on Jacob's list and was touched by him. Kate wasn't on cave list, and Flocke was surprised to see her.

Where has Sawyer been for 3 weeks?

March 10, 2010 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Candace

Alternate timelines stories are a big freaking waste of time.

March 10, 2010 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  26. lostwatcher

By the way-both Dogen & Lennon were left in that magical spring which heals people...think they might be coming back? Maybe Sayid deliberately "pretend" killed these 2 to get Smokey's trust, and he is not as "lost" to the dark side as it would appear...could he be tricking old Smokey???
    Hmmm

March 10, 2010 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  27. HollyP

I think that candidates cannot kill themselves, and possible that Flock, or Smock, or call-him-what-you-will, cannot kill them. People other than Flock can kill them, as Ben so aptly proved with the real Locke.

Miles did establish that Sayid died, and it wasn't Dogen & the temple which revived him. Miles didn't know what revived Sayid.

If you watched the replay of Sundown last night, the accompanying text clearly stated that Nadia was the love of Sayid's life and she died in his arms. We may see Shannon, but not as the love of Sayid's life.

March 10, 2010 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Sharon

Sean,
    If I remember right, Hurley is the one that buried Nikki and Paulo. That episode really affected me with them still being alive when they were buried.

I believe it was Sawyer that put the diamonds in the grave with them. He said something about them being of no use on the island. That he could get them later. Which may mean that he and Miles will be fighting over them.

At the end of the show, I wonder what the meaning was of Ben and Richard standing away on either side of the group on the beach.

March 10, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Ry Guy

People make me laugh. There are not 9 episodes left, there are 11. The commercial says, "Only 9 episodes left until the two hour finale." Pay attention to detail people.

March 10, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Joe

What about Sun and Jin's daughter? Is it a possiblity that she is truly the "chosen Kwon"?

March 10, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  31. shmeevious

I thought Miles established that Sayid died (I don't remember who killed Sayid). If Sayid really died, then he is either not a candidate or else he is a candidate and candidates can be killed. I also remember Ben killed Locke (off island).

March 10, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Fan

Unless I missed it, nobody is commenting on the fact that we don't know for sure which reality is "real". Widmore is the first person to arrive at the island since the explosion. This would seem to solidify the fact that the island reality is in fact the true reality.

Possible story twist...submarine Widmore has no idea what the island is, who Jacob is, or what is going on on this island that he has somehow stumbled across. This is because this is the side-timeline Widmore and he will somehow be the link between the two realities.

March 10, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  33. KevC

Also, related to people who can't kill themselves... Remember that Michael tried, but the gun just wouldn't work. I think we can assume that Michael was touched by Jacob. Maybe Walt was, too, for all we know.

March 10, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Lisa

Yes, I thought I was the only one worrying that 9 episodes is not enough to answer all the questions left to answer. I hope they do.

March 10, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Grant

I may be wrong but when Illana was recuperating in a Russian hospital was she 'touched' by Jacob? Smokey can't kill anyone who was 'touched by Jacob... but he can influence others who can.

March 10, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  36. nope

HAHAHAHHA writing a book... NO maureenr... its all a dream and jack wakes up on the plane! that must be it! hahahahahaha

March 10, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  37. KevC

Ben and his dad left the island in the alternate timeline because Ben never joined the Others. Sayid was never there to shoot him, so Ben was never taken to the temple. Maybe he spoke to Richard in the jungle when he tried to run away, or maybe Richard and the Others weren't even there. We don't know what the situation is with Jacob and/or MIB in the alternate timeline.

March 10, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Liz

The recap last night stated that they are candidates to replace Jacob, not the smoke monster. Perhaps the series ends with only the new Jacob.

Also, Adam and Eve could both be men or women unless I missed a physician (Jack?) declaring them a man and a woman. They seem to be important as we've gone back to them at this late date. Before this is over I think we'll flash back to see what happened there.

Don't forget that Jacob told Hurley to take the mortaly wounded Sayid to the Temple. He obviously had some motivation there so don't count Sayid out for the Jacob team.

It's also possible that both Sun and Jin are candidates. That would account for 6.

Obviously the smoke monster is unable to kill either Jacob or candidates, and they seem unable to kill themselves. However, they can kill each other.

Finally, the episode in two weeks is roughly titled from the beginning of time, so it appears we will be getting some answers as to the origination either Jacob and the smoke monster or perhaps the island itself. This is sure getting exciting!

March 10, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  39. maureenr217

My husand and I think Ben the teacher is wriitng a book in the non-island world and all of the island world is in his imagination from his first visit to the island.

March 10, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Samantha

Is it me? Or do I just have too many questions for only 9 episodes left? How can they do it? I had forgotten about all about Desmond. And if the island was "blown" under water how did the Dharma initiative get off the island ?????

March 10, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  41. T.O.

Maybe John Locke/Smoke Monster is the good guy and Jacob is the bad guy? Jacob is trying to find someone to take over as the leader of the island, and therefore spend an eternity on the island, almost like a prisoner. Whereas Smokey wants to get off the island, and is giving people the chance to get off the island with him, to live a free life.

I don't know if I believe that, but Loren's first sentence made me question my own beliefs of the show

March 10, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Vanessa

Great episode! WOW! Yes, redemption is ALWAYS possible.

March 10, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  43. lisa

Hurley as the leader of the island... no i don't think so. Hurley is too easy to be used ... the best person is Jack. Jack is a born leader and persisent, he makes up his mind and it sticks. Nine more episode, i can't believe it... I'm going to miss this show so much!!!!

March 10, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Daniel

is the purpose of the characters to replace the balance of good and evil on the island? i.e. Jack and Sayid, will in effect become Jacob and "the black some guy"?

The show keeps mentioning a 'candidate' but there must be a 'candidate' for both ends of the spectrum?

March 10, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Sarah

Mod – thank you for explaining that the new timeline started when the bomb exploded and how it was possible that Ben and his dad were on the island but left.

The alternate timelines seem to be what is confusing a lot of people. Let me put it to you this way – there are two "universes" or "lifetimes" for everyone.

The original timeline/universe/lifetime are all what we have been seeing the entire time. However, when they blew up the bomb, they created a CHANGE in the INITIAL timeline, creating another timeline. Think of it like a rope with frayed ends. The beginning of it is the same (meaning the dharma initiative on the island, etc) but towards the end it starts branching off into different strings.

Also, Whidmore coming back to the island does not necessarily mean that he is who Jacob was talking about.

March 10, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  46. I H8te Lost But I Used To Love It

I must be in the minority (the one with any faculty left) because this episode was stoopid with a capital S.

March 10, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Ry Guy

Here is my qustion: Does anybody think that the fact that Jack has never killed anyone play a part in his destiny to be the new Jacob?

I mean, we know:
    Locke killed Naomi
    Sawer killed multiple people
    Hurley ran over a guy in a van
    Kate of course has killed a couple people
    Sawer of course got his gun off several times
    Jin broke a couple of necks

The only two I can't remember killing anybody is Sun and Jack.
    Can someone refresh my memory if either one has done so?

March 10, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Adam

I really enjoyed last night's episode...easily the best of the season, and the best in quite some time, in my opinion. Very Season1-like. I was really intrigued by pretty much every scene...even the alternate-reality stuff was great. The Richard scenes pretty much all but confirm he came to the Island on the Black Rock, as many fans may have anticipated. Going back to the Lighthouse episode, I wasn't sure if Jacob wanted Hurley to take Jack to the lighthouse just for the heck of it, or if there really was someone coming to the Island. I've been waiting for Widmore to make his return, since his story has been kind of brushed to the side lately. Still a LOT of stuff to recover in the final weeks!

March 10, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Tracey

ACK! LOVED this eppy!!! I'm going to be gutted when the whole thing is over! I know my mind is going to be BLOWN and I can't wait, yet I'm afraid of the withdrawl I know I'll have to endure! I'm hoping the 'sideways' world and 'island' world converge, that somehow MIB escaped as Locke into the sideways world, where there's no jacob to bug him or something! I'm loving he KATE-FREE episodes LOL

March 10, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Christy

I think Whidmore is going to destroy the island. When the sailor said he saw people on the beach and asked if they should stop, Whidmore said, "No, proceed as planned."

Is Whidmore Jacob's backup plan? Is he supposed to destroy the island in order to keep MIB/fake Locke from escaping? Sacrifice the few to save the masses?

Or does Whidmore have his own agenda?

Where are Penny and Desmond?

March 10, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Loved-it

All i can say after last night's episode is: Finally!
    The season is finally starting to feel like the old Lost we used to watch. A couple of things i loved about the episode.
    I already had figured out that Richard had come from the black rock and Jacob had made some sort of deal with him to give him freedom in exchange for being his spokes person. I was simplky waiting for the episode to affirm that. I am quite happy with Jack's change of mentality. He is finally starting to come around to the his role on the island (which i think is to replace Jacob)
    I don't think its good vs. evil, Jacob and Sm-ocke have their own agendas and they are neither good nor bad. Smock simply wants to get off the island and will take anyone else who wants to go with him, but in doing so, has these (followers) carry out tasks that he has wanted to do himself. (he has a real hatred for Jacob and anyone who buys into his game) Jacob simply wants to keep the "game" alive and is searching for the person to do this, which he thinks is Jack. Hurley is simply a pawn to Jacob and will continue to be used, (he has never had a real sense of personal direction).
    Ben is finally found his place and all he cares about is people who "want" him. Sawyer will eventually find Kate and together they will try to get off the island, Kate is only following Sm-ocke till she finds a way out. She'll go with Sawyer only because she'll feel needed.
    And lastly ill end with Sayid, He is not evil. He is only playing the part until he can get what he wants (which i believe is Shannon, not Nadia) Shannon was the one who gave him a second chance and he loved her more for that. This show continues to blow my mind and i cant wait to see how things play out. Lost will continue to keep me "Lost" till the end.

March 10, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Jon W

I thought this episode was fantastic. I love Ben's story. I hated to see Whitemore at the end because he is bad news. However, my hope is that every has a redemptive story to it. Will that happen, I have no idea. Honestly, I think Hurley would be the best and most deserving new Jacob. He has been the best friend to all of these people and has never hurt anyone. Everyone else has. All our favorites have done things that they regret but Hurley never has. He is the friend you would love to have.

March 10, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Mike

Question; If the smoke monster in John Locke's guise is really the "man in black" why didn't he know about the giant foot statue where Jacob lived? Didn't we see the Jacob and the "man in black" sitting at the base of the statue watching a masted sailing vessel (the Black Rock?) approach the island?

March 10, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Chrissy

Kate has to be a candidate, she was touched by Jacob when she was a young girl.

March 10, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Mod

Tim–I don't think you're looking too deep! (That would mean that I have also...)I have given this a lot of thought and know Ben's timeline pretty well. I cannot be positive about anything (obviously) however I have a few ideas about why Ben and his dad might have left the island. If you follow the timeline where the Oceanic folks wound up in 1977–his dad may have chosen to leave the island after Ben got shot (by Sayid). His dad never seemed too pleased about being a part of the initiative once he was assigned the "Workman" position–so even if the Oceanic people never appeared in 1977 he may have just gotten fed up with his poistion there and opted out.

Also–let us not forget that Dr. Chang ordered an evacuation of the island of all non-essentials at Daniel & Miles' warning in 1977. Roger could have also taken Ben on the sub at that point. I would assume that anyone who left the island on that sub would not have learned of its fate (if the nuke was detonated).

No matter which way they left–I would say that Danielle and her team never crashed on the island (no Jacob influence, no numbers that drew them there, etc.) therefore Alex has never been there. Though how they wound up in LA is of course another mystery...(They were all French afterall).

Last night's episode truly reignited my love of this series (leave it to Ben!) and has me theorizing once again.

March 10, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Loren

Everyone seems to assume that Jacob is good and the Man in Black is bad and that they're separate. Seems that tis episode blurs the distinction. While Locke is encouraging Ben to do something that would seem to seal his fate to go to the dark side, the result is different in both timelines. Ilana and Richard are both in circumstances that lead them to question Jacob. Maybe the point is just to blow some smoke, but neither Jacob or the Man in Black seems like a particularly good person, more like they're trying to protect their own interests. That does suggest that the pairings are at the heart of Lost.

March 10, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  57. jack merridew

"First we already know kate is not on the list of chosen ones"

thats not true, her name was neevr shown in the cave but it was on the dial and it wasn't crossed out

plus smokie looked at her with mild disbelief because he didnt factor into another candidate being on his side

March 10, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  58. jack merridew

this episode was more of a set up episode for me

now things stand that
    -Jack is the new John Locke in his status as man of faith (and being a little crazy)
    -Ben and Richard are part of team jacob after both turning down smokes invitation
    -we know that Richard is not a cyborg
    -The Hydra station is going to play a role in Smokes plan
    -Miles is hysterical
    -Whidmores back and was probably the person jacob wanted to get to the island
    - Illanya needs to protect the candidates but currently she only is near 2 and a half
    - John lock in the alt universe has gotten over his depression, and seems to be inspirational

March 10, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Rlg

I enjoy each and every episode of "Lost" and will be sorry to see it end. I enjoy the programs for what they are and don't analyze all the actions. It's a great show and fun to watch.

March 10, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Jonathan

most are saying that Jacob's touch = immortality. I don't agree, I think it conveys a certain degree of protection (from smokey), plus in some if not all cases, some sort of power. Dogen could repel Smokey away from the temple, but his age was the same as LA, and he was killed. Ilana has enough protection that Smokey can't kill her himself, and needs Ben to shoot her. She did heal quickly... but immortal? I feel that Hurley's speaking to the dead is connected to Jacob, eventhough it started before he was touched. He gives them a skill that goes along with their needed island job. Richard is the guide for all the leaders, so he needs to be around for ages, every time there is a new leader.

March 10, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Tim

Any thoughts on how if Ben and his father left the island, does that also mean that Alex and her mom never came to the island at all in the alternate timeline...b/c in the flashbacks it seemed Ben was in his early 20's or teens when he kidnapped Alex (a baby at the time), so how far does this timeline go back? Please someone give me some suggestions!!! Am I looking to deep into this?

March 10, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  62. peter

two things. First we already know kate is not on the list of chosen ones, though jacob told us someone was coming to the island. we now know that was charles witmore. The question would be is charles one of the chosen. Second I have to believe the flash sideways is to show us a comparison of what the island people would have been without the island. we now know ben is not the meglomaniac we thought him to be. Afterall he is now a old teacher in a poor highschool, how ambitious is that. he does not seek power until proded by john locke, and in his big power play he consedes defeat at the mear though of a loved one being hurt. I think we are to take this as a parallel to how these people would be without the island, ie their true nature on display without the interference of jacob or the island

March 10, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Martin

I liked the episode, but I am getting a bit tired with people threatening to kill Ben, and then not doing it. The reason I stopped watching BSG was that everyone wanted to kill Baltar, and were in a position to do the job, and then did not. And I am nearly there with Ben and LOST. If we think about his crimes and double crosses, would you have him dig his own grave, or just shot him in the head? Personally, I would just shot him. And I think that Ilana would have done the same. That said, I liked the fact that Ben has chosen to be good, rather than those who have chosen to be bad, which means it is more about choice than destiny. And it was great to see Alex and Charles Widmore again. But where is Desmond?

March 10, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Hawkeye

So we know that in the non-island timeline, the Dharma Initiative existed and Ben was actually on the island but that he and his dad left. Was Alex also on the island at one point and left as a child? Ben obviously didn't kidnap her from Rousseau and bring her to the mainland.

So if Ben was on the island at one point in the non-island timeline, were any of the other characters on the island at one time or another as well? Jack, for example? Remember he was missing an appendix in the non-island timeline (which Juliette had removed back in either the second or third season), but Jack's dad says he had it out as a child. What exactly happened here? Ben obviously remembered being on the island, but none of the other characters have shown any recollections or memories of being there (yet).

Confusion, thy name is Lost.

March 10, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Jonathan

Tyler... if sideways is an alternate ending, the nuke put it in the Ocean, if it's an alternate universe (my vote) it could end up there for any number of reasons... maybe little boy went off on its own because Daniel didn't tell them to bury it... the plane never crashed, Faraday is not on the recovery team. Did their nuke do this? ... if the plane doesn't crash, what happened happened, they don't set off a nuke, because they aren't on the island. Perhaps in this world, 'the event' isn't stopped, nor controlled by the button, and they all evacuate before the island sinks? As for Desmond... like Walt he can appear where he's not supposed to be, like his flashes back and forth to the UK. ( I also think that the Walt who helps John out of the pit was really Smokey... he knew John's survival was necessary for him, and he takes shapes as needed).

March 10, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Sean

Woody, Nikki and Paulo were from, I think, the 2nd or 3rd season. I think 2nd. They were only in a handfull of esps before they were bitten by a spider that paralized them in the hole and were buried. Anyone remember who buried them anyway?

Miles is cool I'm glad he made it to the finial season, I always like his charater.

I think it will end up as Jack as the chosen one, if you remember the first scene of the series, it started with a close up of his eye and panned out to have him lieing in the woods. I bet it ends very simmilerly with his eye and him being "the one"

March 10, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Nichole

I think that somehow, when the Oceanic crew goes back in time to the Dharma Initiative days, they must make some change in the island's history for it to stay up and running and for people like Ben to stay there. But, if the plane never crashed and they'd never gone back in time, maybe the natural progression of the island back then would have led to everyone leaving and it becoming those underwater ruins. I hate confusing timeline things like that!

March 10, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Jonathan

Kate is not a candidate, she is not 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, or 42. Her name is on the cave and dial, but crossed out. 4 being Locke is dead, you are right on the rest... the remaining 6 are Sayid, Sawyer, Hugo, Jack, and the Kwons (he touched both). I guess she is not fully aware of Sayid's current state, even though she knows he killed Dogen... btw, I don't think he was ordered to kill Lennon, I think he threw that in for free, probably because Lennon was annoying. Dogan was the only thing keeping Smokey out.

March 10, 2010 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  69. Waterland

Michael Emerson just gave a master class in acting. He and Terry O'Quinn need to split the Emmy for their portrayals this season.

"Dr. Linus" was a great mirror image of what happend to Sayid in last week's "Sundown". Sayid gave into his basest nature and ended up on the dark side, telling Ben it was "too late for me".
    Ben Linus decided to react to his circumstances in a wholly different way (than his past pattern of behavior) and it literally saved his life.
    It was amazing to watch such a manipulative villian find peace in letting go of the constant grasping after power and the futility of trying to control that which can't be controlled.

March 10, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  70. Josh

The promo picture for this season (The Last Supper recreation) seems pretty close to the recruiting. The teams are developing on either side of Locke.

March 10, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  71. kris webstger

member when "locke" said to him about the chains???? Richard came to the island in chains... on the Black Rock. See when he looks at the chains and makes a wierd face? Well he was sitting in that spot at one time....

March 10, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  72. tim

To all the naysayers who say the show hasn't been answering any questions, last night's show answered a bunch of them. We know now how Richard came to the island (although most of us already figured that one out), and why he never ages. We know that Jacob's touch conveys near-immortality; candidates cannot kill themselves, and apparently they can't be killed by the 'Man in Black'. Which would explain why Locke didn't kill Richard or Sayid. And we also see Charles Widmore coming back into play. The whole thing is shaping up for one final showdown.

March 10, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  73. Cecil

Widmore tried to kill Linus in season 4, so with his reappearance, I would say Linus's days could be numbered.

However, we know Widmore is after something else.

So then, where is Desmond? He is married to Widmore's daughter, so at some point Desmond has to reappear as well.

I would also like to know how the ship wound up so deep in the jungle away from the shore, just like it was lifted up and placed there....

March 10, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  74. Barry

Finally and episode that didn't create more questions, It started to put things together, with Jack finally starting to get what's going on. Very satisfying. Now I can't wait for more!

March 10, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  75. Jeff

Kate will stay with Team Smokey. Kate took Claire to the hospital in alt-world so they are joined at the hip in island-world.

Jin will stay with Team Smokey. Sayid found "no-English" Jin in the restaurant after Sayid killed Keamy et al in alt-world. This means Sayid and Jin are destined to be joined at the hip in island-world.

Sawyer is a wild-card, but I believe he will make the jump to Team Jacob. Let's face it, deep down he's a soft-hearted Southerner.

Exceptions that challenge the theory that alt-world relationships translate to island-world alliances:
    Jack and Locke in alt-world, clearly not on the same team in island-world.
    Ditto Ben and Locke.
    Ditto Hurley and Locke.
    See a pattern? Maybe we'll see alt-world Locke meet the rest of Team Jacob (Lapidus, Ilana, Miles, Sun). Perhaps he is trying to corrupt them in alt-world so there island-world parallels will flip to Smokey, but it won't happen for most of them. They will stay with Jacob.

Or maybe I have no idea. Yeah, that's probably it.

March 10, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  76. Tyler

What I didn't get is why was the island underwater (when we first see the sideways storyline), yet we find out the island actually existed? This begins to explain how Desmond could be on the plane as it lands in LA. Any thoughts?

March 10, 2010 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  77. woody

I can remeber who Nikki and Paulo were and why they were buried with diamonds?

March 10, 2010 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  78. ChuckO

I agree; a terrific episode. Can't believe we're down to 9. And yes, I think Ben's redemption is in progress. What a great actor. Somehow, I can't help feeling there's ultimately going to be some kind of crazy mash-up between the characters' parallel lives - I'm just not sure how it's going to work. Things are definitely picking up momentum as we move toward the end. Last night's closing moments show it. We barely had the time to ponder Ben's situation before Widmore's sub literally popped up. I agree with a recent piece in Rolling Stone: We will never see as complex and challenging a show as Lost on network television again. Let's enjoy what's left of it!

March 10, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  79. Jeremy

Last week's episode was fantastic, and this weeks was even better!! "The Redemption of Benjamin Linus" were my exact words as the final credits rolled last night.

Team Jacob and Team Smokey have just about fully taken shape (Kate still seems in a bit of limbo, and where's Sawyer?) but whatever's coming looks to be super Intense!

The final season is proving to be worth the wait!!!!

March 10, 2010 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  80. Tyler

Sounds like Richard was on the Black Rock when it landed on the island.

March 10, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |