March 9th, 2010

TV recap – '24': Hell yeah, Jack!

"testing
"testing

24: Day 8, 2 am – 3am.

Welcome back Bauerites: Let's get right to it. The day continues, and the latest hour of "24" is in the books.

I've been hopeful for the momentum to continue onward and upward. No more setbacks. No more costly deductions of "cool points" with dumb subplots. Well Bauerites, the latest episode gave us a bumpy, dramatic ride as Jack and the CTU team are officially rolling. Each remaining episode of "24" is now all set to thrill us right through until the end of the season. Mark it down.

As I recall, in seasons past, there have been the same types of highs and lows we're seeing this season. There have been some quirks, extremely hate-able characters, and irritating storylines here and there. This season is no different. The writers have had their moments, and the legions of Bauerites on this blog have not hesitated to give them the business. Collectively, we grew antsy and impatient, but the last three episodes have renewed my optimism.

How do I know? How am I so certain?

By my count, I tallied three different "Hell yeah, Jack!" moments in last night's show as I yelled back at the TV (don't judge). Three is a pretty high number, and Jack's promise to "personally escort Marcos' mom to the blast site to expose her to the radiation" is my favorite brand of harsh threat that tastes great as I'm watching. Say it with me people, "Hell yeah Jack!"

Meanwhile, while we're checking the stats, it also took about seven minutes from the start of the show for Hastings to earn even MORE of my respect! His sermon to Dana and Cole upon their return to CTU didn't necessarily feature fire and brimstone, but I actually believed he was pissed, and the look on his face when he saw them entering the building was priceless. Hastings has been chock full of "man up" for almost a full three hours now, and I'm also granting him a few bonus points for ordering Dana to take orders from Chloe. You da' man!

Elsewhere, President Hassan, his daughter and estranged wife are certainly a gleeful bunch. Is it just me, or is his storyline a ray of sunshine that beams down directly to the furthest depths of hell? It's official sir: you are having a bad day, and you have every right to be suspicious of any and every one. Arrest them all, and let them explain themselves behind bars. At least that way, they can't try to kill you, take calls on their cell phones from other people they order to kill you, attempt to overthrow your regime, or kidnap your daughter. All bases are covered.

Overall, I thought the show was steady and enjoyable. Another sign of good things to come was a downright dandy preview of next week's episode. The "plot thickening" is an understatement from what I saw, and I'm already psyched. Yes, that's a prediction, and I'm making it. We shall not be disappointed.

By the way Bauerites, if you can't get enough of "24" and "going Bauer" around your home or office like I have recently, be sure to check out the "2 guys talking 24" podcast each week. These guys provide great insight, hilarious commentary and invited me on recently. It was big fun, and thanks a lot to the 2 guys. They're available here and on iTunes.

Got it? Copy that.

Loved, kinda liked, or hated this week's show? Let us know!

Post by:
Filed under: 24 • television

1. Jeff

Hey Mike W. Remember that the bomb detonator was German made. They were probably drunk (just kidding you German readers) when they designed in that 60 second fail-safe countdown.

I was wondering if Bubba Gump was going to comment that Dana and Cole were gone so long, and what exactly was that "lead" they were following up on. Good that he at least has some cojones.

CTU must be the easiest place to get a job. Little or no background check, poor security, etc...

March 10, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Anita

Absolutely loved it! The Hassan storyline is fantastic, Jack is awesome, etc. Copy that.

March 10, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  3. LacrosseMom

My husband is a fan of the show, so I watch it with him. Am I the only one who has noticed the errors on this year's show?

For example the CTU agent, who has a "record" and changed her name. Now everyone knows that in order to work in the government, in a place like CTU that is highly classified intelligence she would have been carefully vetted and would not have been given the job!

Also, no president would speak to a foreign leader, without the Secret Service being in the room with them.

This year's show is sloppy.

March 10, 2010 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  4. Selisa Hue

If you missed last night's episode, go to HULU. What an awesome service.

March 10, 2010 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  5. I H8te Lost But I Used To Love It

I tend to surf the web when 24 is boring. But last nights episode was sooo good it forced me off the pc.

March 10, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  6. chris

i heard that this is the last season of 24.

March 10, 2010 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  7. I H8te Lost But I Used To Love It

I tend to surf the web when 24 is boring. But this episode actually forced me to watch because it was sooo good.

March 10, 2010 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  8. Ms. Kaila

I love "24"......And definitely a Bauerite. I can wait each week to read D's and everyone's blog really like reading them. Keep it up!

March 10, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  9. SeeTU

@Cecil. . . that is actually a very funny remark. I was just talking to somebody about how Jack does not drink anything at all, much less eat anything within the 24 hour period...
    Don't you tink after being beaten up or tortured for several minutes you'd think that they wold at least be parched one way or the other?? Ahahahaha really funny comment

March 10, 2010 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jan

Great episode...Jack IS ON now! The scene with him and the bomber kid were classic edge of your seat! Just what we love about 24... you don't know for sure who will die! I'm still not sure about the new head of CTU...sometimes I think he's dirty...and sometimes I think he's just not smart enough to be the top dog. I knew the boyfriend was a bad guy...I'm soo looking forward to next week. I really like how Chloe had to "earn" her way back...good job! Now we need to get Miles back in there to help her! Took me awhile to care anything much about Cole but he's growing on me. Dana..not so much.

March 10, 2010 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  11. Linda

Jack is back! Yay! I've been watching since hour 1 and love this show..it is the only television show I am loyal to! Though at times I miss the old characters, Tony, Milo, and Prs. Palmer...thank God Chloe is still here! I love her! And the Hastings guy is growing on me...and what about Mare Winningham as the baby faced terrorists mom? She is an accomplished and wonderfully talented actress..ao glad to see her on 24! Her portrayal of the mom was heartwrenching....true to her acting form..great! Bring on more 24! And oh yeah...Rene can fade into the sunset alone...she is really not giving much to the show....bad character, whiny and needy and who needs that? Jack has bigger and better fish to fry...................

March 10, 2010 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  12. Spooly-T

Dana is now under Chloe?
    Now all we need is for Chloe to lead a field-op team!

Give Chloe a big gun!

March 10, 2010 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  13. Richard

You know, didn't Cole kill those two dirtbags with their own shotgun? The real crazy one stabbed the other guy first... then he ends up dead with a shotgun wound.. why not just wipe the prints off the gun and make it look like they killed each other? This was a big mess!

Glad Renee wasn't in this episode.

Still don't like Dana.

Hastings is a moron.

March 10, 2010 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  14. Sir Lord

This last episode had a little of what everyone has been aching for and then some. The audience wanted Jack back to doing his "own thing" as we have gotten accustomed to in the past seasons. But do note that in character development, you always need the main characters to grow and expand, and at times, do the unthinkable that would take your breath away rather than what is always expected (case in point when Renee lost it a few weeks ago). As it has been said many a times that you sometimes need to do what is right , and not what is popular!

I, for one, like to see the Power of Bauer in an intense love story within the 24-hour period! We've seen it with others, why the heck not with One Kierfer Sutherland?

March 10, 2010 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  15. #1Bauerite

I am totally, completely, absolutely, positively in love with Jack Bauer. Not much else to say!

March 9, 2010 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Clyde

I think what has really kicked the show into high gear lately is the completely believable and heart-rending internal conflict of Marcos, the young suicide bomber. On the one hand he wants to serve justice to America, but on the other he loves his mother dearly and will do anything to protect her. Rami Malek was tremendous in the role of Marcos. Mare Winnigham was equally wonderful as his mother.

March 9, 2010 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  17. caviar90

I asked for help in Romania but nobody wants to look at me I hope to look someone and help me and I become an actor isa scz I have not put the ad where treb but I hope more people here to see him! Good name is Catalin are from Romania, Muddy Volcanoes area, we have 19 years are a big fan of yours decand I was little. I tried to write some time ago but I was able to do that, because part of a poor family. I went to work at the age of 14 years on site but at the same time we left school.'s been years ago I came to college with their own strengths but I put aside my most ardent dream, dream to become a movie actor but that due to circumstances you may have seen or heard in Romania more than in other countries if you do not have money to bribe or to have a social status as so-so how no one pass by .I thought that maybe I can help you very much I want to take part in a movie to have a role and I "Please do not ignore this message" still something I do not know how to speak English so well I managed to write now using a dictionary!
    With friendship Catalin!
    pavel_bz_2005@yahoo.com

March 9, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Shane in Columbus

more....More....MORE!!!!!

March 9, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  19. carol ann

I missed Renee last night. I don't understand the backlash against Renee (although I think some of it manufactured by a few persistent fans)

I think she has been one of the best parts of season eight. When she's back in a couple of episodes I'm looking forward to her as the best part of the night.

But see my about the time-hogging Dana story and you'll get a different answer. I can't believe 24, wanting renewal, spent so much time on a story unconnected to the main plot. It is a waste of my time to watch that particular story.

March 9, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Mike Wilkerson - 2GuysTalking.Com

A great dose of Renee is what the show could use right about now and I agree on the toss the bomber into the tank sooner. But one has to wonder – those bombmakers sure were kind to not only put into 4 different failsafe modes, but to put in the 60 second countdown so that if someone was trying to "take off the vest" they'd know how much time they had.

A kinder, gentler terrorist. Hmm....

March 9, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Outlaw

Did Pam just say Renee is obsolete? C'mon! that's my girl you're talking about and appears she'll be stealing the show down the stretch (or I it could just be my wishful thinking for seeing more of her).

Phyliss may well have called the plot with Cole confiding in Jack....

Loren is in my head on the bomb blast effects. I'm all for heightened suspense but can we just have Jack throw him in there around maybe 5-6 secs in order to get the door closed to contain the blast?!

Lastly, it seems that there's something going on with Chloe being nice to Dana but maybe it has more to do with Chloe's history with "office romance"....?

March 9, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Dubo

I can't believe after all these seasons, I'm still sitting there every Monday night and watching the clock at each commercial break ( I always watch 45 minutes late to DVR thru the commercials) and thinking why does it have to end....can't we have 2 hours every Monday! This season is as good as it gets....and Jack is at his best. The writers are getting it so right this season !!!

March 9, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  23. artrain

Affirmative on the quality of the episode. I agree with Trapalon about the status of the gut stab that was never sewn closed, that must have been one heck of a gauze and tape job. The parole officer working at 02:30 in the morning and checking phone logs? Loren is on the money about "a small lie works better than a big one"
    I can't wait for next week!

March 9, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  24. phyllis

I found out what is wrong at Fox 40 stations and 35. They had a fire, and it distroyed the tower. Crew is working on it, hope it is ready by this time next week...

March 9, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  25. L.A. from SWAT

Enjoyed the show...I think this was the best episode so far. Highlights:

1. Jack's believeably scary "look into my eyes" speech he gave old Marcos. (LOVED IT!)
    2. Bubba Gump FINALLY showing some backbone
    3. Chloe's promotion over Jenny aka Teddy Rowe. (Did anyone catch Chloe's little smirk when she was promoted?)

Lowlights: The revival of the Kevin saga by another convict loser. Give me a break! I thought we were finally put out of our misery with that one.

March 9, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  26. phyllis

I am thinking that, Cole will tell Jack about the two criminals he had to kill to save Dana. If he tell Hasting, he will put him in jail..

I think the heat will get so bad, that Cole has to tell someone, and Jack is best choice...

March 9, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  27. RHBD Productions

Eh, I thought last night's episode was kinda boring. Honestly, not much really happened for most of it. It did pick up a bit at the end, and next week looks great!

March 9, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  28. phyllis

I was not able to watch 24 last night, because of local Fox Channel was out of order, for some reason, we have two Fox stations here, neither one was working, telling people not to call stations, they know the station are off air. So I am having with drawal symptons from not getting my fix for the week, seeing Jack in action. I sure hope that, they get what ever is wrong fixed, I can't go another week with out Jack..

I wish they would do reruns during the off season, like they use too.

move over Renee. Jack is in demand !!! Here is hoping to get back into action next week. loving me some Jack.

March 9, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Paul in AK

No way is Steven Root the P.O. He would not have called at 2am and he wouldn't be looking for him anyway a federal marshall would. So that leads me to think it's a trap and the Kevin thing won't DIE, AAHHG!!!
    Loved that Jack is back to his old ways "If you knew me" what a great line! Right away I thought "buddy, you are SO toast"
    I'm glad I didn't rip on Hastings earlier this season, seems like he's coming around, and GO CHLOE!!! About time they put her in charge of the data wranglers.

March 9, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  30. AMac

I thought when Hassan told Jack that his daughter was with the enemy Jack was gonna say "Is your daughter KIm?"...Dammit
    Good episode. I thought Tarrin or whatever his name is was bad...but only just before Marcos told Jack. Um is there a reason tho that the preview for next week was telling us when stuff is going to happen? I'm sure there is a reson for it but seems like they gave too much away. I wish they would double up one week and give us true fans two hours. One just isn't enough!

Oh and why is Chloe so nice to Dana all the time? She's hardly ever nice to anyone and Dana is completely flaking on her JOB!

March 9, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  31. denise

I absolutely love it! I would like to see this show twice a week instead of once. I am sorry I need more drama, I can't get enough. Jack needs to kick some ass next week hard

March 9, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Loren

Just goes to show that sometimes it's better to just go along for the ride. I really thought that Taran (?) had a thing for the President's daughter and wasn't just using her, so it was surprise that he may be a baddie.

While I liked the idea of Jack telling the doofus to look into his eyes, Jack's eyes just looked tired. I agree that the bomb blast would have done more than just splatter the doofus, but then if it did what it was supposed to, then goodbye Jack. What about the two terrorists watching the hospital?

And the parole officer? Dana seems like a box of rocks not to have figured out that a small lie works better than a big one, i.e. I don't know him versus I met him in a bar and we talked a few times, but he gave off a bad vibe and I've been trying to not talk to the guy, but he keeps pestering me, can yo do something about it?

Good preview, the heat is being turned up and the roller coaster is starting its descent from the top of the mountain. Hang on to your seats, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

March 9, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Bauer Hour

This is the Jack I've been waiting to see. I especially loved it when he told the terrorist he was going ot have his mother clean his body up and then take her to ground zero to die. "Look at my eyes!!!" I loved it!!! Can't wait for next week's episode. Everyone's been waiting on the twist and here it comes. I wonder who Hastings was running after calling on security.

March 9, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Trapalon

Good stuff! Really finding it's rhythm now. Jack and the boy-bomb were awesome! Jack's so bad-ass he doesn't even have to try. Bomb is armed, everyone evacs but Jack who's as calm as a man tying his shoes. He gets blowed up and it's just another, "This ain't nothin" moment. I wonder how his stab wound is feeling?
    Good scene, great episode!

March 9, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Pam White

I love the show. Jack was at his peak performance monday night episode, just the way he should be. Later for Renee, she's absolete. I agree President Hassan is a weakling. His wife seems the stronger one. His daughter didn't see that deception coming, wow! Can't wait for next monday.

March 9, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Outlaw

Show was pretty good....copy that. I do think we're now on our way and things should continue to heat up. Like where they're going with Hassan and co. HATE the fact they're bringing in the P.O. with Dana and Cole. C'mon, I get that they need to play that out and do so within time constraints but to have this guy calling and getting involved just seems over the top. There will probably be some kind of reveal regarding the thugs history that will no doubt tie up loose ends but I question whether the end is worth the means.
    The tension created with the scenes involving the bomber were great and capped off by Jack's getting serious in that way we all know too well. Those moments will never get old. I mean c'mon...."look into his eyes"!
    I see we get a twist next week (never would have guessed...) Here's to getting this thing rolling downhill so we can see some serious ass-kicking 24 style.

March 9, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Jeff

Excellent episode last night! Other than the completely unbelievable explosion from the terrorists vest (all that C4 would have leveled that building and the steel door would have blasted Jack into reruns).

I did predict that the boyfriend of the President's daughter was a badguy! I must be watching too much 24! (is that possible?)

The preview for next week looked awesome! I can't wait!

Repeat the phrase:
    WWJD (What Would Jack Do?)

March 9, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  38. jacksback7

After a slow start to the episode, I found my palms sweaty and fists clenched most of the episode. The scene with Marcos and his mother was full of great acting and kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time.

As for Jack's threat, all I can say is wow. The look on Jack's face when he screamed "Look into my eyes!" gave me the chills. Seems like Jack is definitely clicking on all cylinders, just the way we like him.

I guess President Hassan should have listened to his gut two weeks ago when he realized that the best way to get close to him would be through his daughter. Now his former head of security has total leverage with the daughter. Now is it just me? or why does it take so long for the police to get to a hotel and detain a terrorist in NYC? There are usually cops on every block, don't tell me one can't take a break from his donuts and do his job for once.

Like I said last week, "give Chloe a bigger role," and oh did they ever. She goes from being Hastings' least favorite analyst to running the show! Go Chloe!!

Biggest question I had last night was, what kind of parole officer travels all the way to NYC in the middle of the night to check up on a dead-beat like Kevin? Dana/Jenny/Whatever must still be shaken up, how does she not realize its some kind of trap!!

Preview for next week has me counting down already. When I saw Hastings running down the halls of CTU yelling "Security!!" I definitely gave the TV a big "oh yeah!!!"

Still loving the Blog! Can't wait for next week!

March 9, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  39. erikvoid

stephen root. yes.

March 9, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Mike Wilkerson - 2GuysTalking.Com

There's a lot of "better" stuff in this episode, which was a follow up to the worst episode of all time for 24.

However, just when you thought the KevinDana/Jenny Show was canceled – ITS NOT! How is the Kevin follow up at all endearing?!

Get us to the drama/action set and dispose of the gooney soap-opera-like ridiculousness and let's ROLL!

Thanks for your review, D!

March 9, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  41. Cecil

Oh, one more thing – could they at least show someone eating a sandwich and drinking a Coke or something? – they have to be hungry sometime......

March 9, 2010 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  42. Cecil

I would have to agree that Jack is emerging from his doldrums. You know one reason why? I think because there was NO Renee on there last night.

I am sick of her, and she makes Jack's humanity come out, which I could care less to see. I want to see an efficient machine, and he was running on all cylinders last night.

I was happy to see that fool in the hyperbaric chamber blow up – he was a weasel.

Hassan is a slimeball and not in the mode of middle eastern dictatordum, but he will have to do.....

I am glad Cole killed those dirtbags hounding Dana. Of course now we have the "stapler man" from Office Space hounding her. No one from Probation and Parole would be looking for those two. If they are gone they are gone.

Things are defintely turning the corner for the show.

March 9, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |