March 9th, 2010

The women of 'Idol' take to the stage for the Top 16

testing captions
testing captions

8:57 p.m. - Just about everyone is picking up an instrument tonight.

I almost felt bad for Lilly Scott having to sing after MamaSox. Seriously, who wants to have to follow that powerhouse of a performer?

Lilly's version of "I Fall to Pieces" was OK, though I think she could have done without strumming the mandolin and just focused on singing the song. It wasn't her best performance but people dig her so I think she'll be fine.

Lilly looked a little worried though.

8:49 p.m. - It's always a good sign when the audience starts clapping along with the music.

Crystal Bowersox got funky with Tracy Chapman's song "Give Me One Reason." I could almost hear my grandma shouting "Go head and sing that song baby!"

I love me some MamaSox, and I hope she can stay in the sweet spot.

8:40 p.m. - I attended the Michael Jackson memorial, and when Jermaine Jackson sang "Smile" because it was his brother's favorite song, I got misty.

I wanted to cry when Paige Miles sang it, too, but for very different reasons. Was it me, or was she totally off with the music? Did she take too much time walking out to the microphone?

That was bad, and I like her. People have got to stop picking a song just because they like it. I love "Ava Maria," but you won't ever catch me singing it.

Why, Paige, why?

8:35 p.m. - After last week's fiasco, Didi Benami better had picked up that guitar.

She really needed the boost that tonight's performance gave her. I liked her voice, and she was giving the Taylor Swift squinty eye thing that made her look more star-like to me. It was like she was channeling Taylor and Duffy at the same time.

Didi looked like she was going to lose it when Kara praised her. I'm not ready to declare her the winner by any stretch, but she just bought some time with me.

8:26 p.m. - Here's the thing with Katelyn Epperly: I get what she is trying to do, but I'm not sure it's working.

I disagree with Randy saying she had put on the "Carole King" hair, since I think that's her ordinary 'fro. Her version of "I Feel the Earth Move" made me feel like I was on a cruise ship.

It wasn't awesome, and I need awesome. I think America needs awesome, too. She better hope that the folks after her really mess up. Sorry Katelyn.

8:19 p.m. - Lacey Brown has got to be the most inconsistent one so far. Here I was all ready to be down on her and she delivered!

I liked her version of Brandi Carlile's "The Story." She sang simply, and it was pretty. I'm starting to think though that this season folks are allergic to up-tempo songs.

8:13 p.m.- Sibhoan Magnus' dad looks super young. Good for you Daddy O.

She sings The Animals' "House of the Rising Sun" and honestly, I can't hear that song without thinking about the movie "Goodfellas," one of my all-time faves.

Her voice is pretty good, and the song started out hauntingly a capella. There's something mysterious and a bit odd about this chick. I like it.

It's a lovefest with the judges, except for Simon, who thought it was weird and dark. Well, yeah. I thought that was the point. Simon wanted "a moment."

Welcome to my world Simon.

8:04 p.m. – Why are these folks obsessed with singing Kelly Clarkson this season?

First up is Katie Stevens singing "Break Away," and she didn't blow me away. I've been Team Katie up until this point, but that just seemed like an uninspired performance. Randy called it "karaoke." Ouch!

And Ellen praises her for choosing the right song, but says she didn't show any personality. I believe this may be the first time I have agreed with anything E has said so far this season.

Who is Kara kidding that the singing tonight needed to be "perfect?" None of the performances so far have been even close to that. And of course she doesn't know who she is as an artist. She's been on the show as a semifinalist for three weeks!

Give me a break.

1. jill

It's seems like this show is more about looks and not your talent. That one kid that is good looking can't sing for the life of him! get him out of there!!

March 13, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. James Memphis

What is the deal with the singing this year? Last year each person brought something NEW and Original to the table. Last year we couldnt wait to see them perform, this year I CAN WAIT. It's boring,, it's plain, there is nothing electrifying about them, and I can feel it,, and so can Simon. He looks so bored that he wants to kill himself. And Ellen,,, AI producers finally woke up and stopped doing random judge reviews, because when Ellen is up first to offer her opinion, she sounds like an idiot. Now they have her falling right behind Randy. I hate the show now. You can just get rid of it altogether.

March 12, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Frank Udonn

I felt bad to see Alex Lambert get the boot last night. He has a unique style and voice. He was progressively developing every week while Andrew Garcia was digressing. Except for Andrew's version of Paula's "Straight Up" I can't remember one other performance that was note worthy. I guess everyone doesn't go through but Alex would have been more entertaining to watch.

March 12, 2010 at 7:30 am | Report abuse |
  4. KT

I have liked Crystal from the beginning. She was awesome last night. I loved the Tracey Chapman song. I would definitely buy her CD. I think she will be the one to beat but I think Shiobhan will be very close behind. I think Katie has a good voice but agree that she has not identified what type of artist she would be. Once she does that, I think she will soar! I think Paige and Katelyn are in trouble.

March 10, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  5. rhonda

anyone else think that paige sealed her fate by singing smile? her voice is so much better than it was last night. i still am not fond of didi's voice. but she's not horrible. not such a fan of lilly at all. lacey surprised me completely. i just hope the guys pick it up a bit tonight
    and that the one that was brought back from the cuts , gets cut. i have no idea why america is voting for that boy.

March 10, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  6. vicky

I really truly believe that siobhan is the one to beat, she has the best voice, she is unique in all her interpretations. And she can belt any loud note like no one. crystal is "okey" she does not move me. Lily is weird and sounds like a cat with seizures, I just don't like her "shrieking" whenever she comes out "singing" my dogs decide to use the "potty" the rest of the girls are pretty lame, not impress by them at all.

March 10, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  7. JMB

I have to say that 5 of the 8 girls were actually good with 2 performances simply AMAZING! Crystal and Siobahn! I really liked Lily's quirkiness but agree it wasn't her best. Katie – I am done. Paige – Worst blunder in a season of blunders.

March 10, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Just A Thought

Katie was not great; but definitly better than Katlyn, and Lily.

March 10, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  9. jersey girl

all i can say is, is Crystal is the one and I remembered her at her audition and called it back then.. I hope she wins the competition cause I looove her style and Im ready to buy her cd now.. i love that blusey sound she has goin, and she is pure true talent. I knew it from the beginning. All others are just generic and cant match her talent or voice or singing style. She is the potential winner of this competition and what this whole show is all about. She is going to deliver and get even better from this point on.. watch out!!

March 10, 2010 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  10. Nicole

I agree I think Paige & Katie are going home, those would be my picks anyway based on last nights performances. I know that Lilly Scott did well or they said she did anyway, but I just can't picture myself liking her music or ever buying her CD, I don't get her at all.

March 10, 2010 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  11. Just A Thought

The girls were awful tonight! I mean really really bad!

The only saving factor was Crystal and Siobahn. I mean I was looking for some nicorette to make it suck less!

Paige is SO gone, Smile, and all I could do was cringe in pain; terrible.
    Kaytlyn, looked so out of place behind that thing she was playing.
    DiDi, had a great song choice but did not connect to it. But was OK
    Lily, looked like the entertainment on a hawaiian cruise!
    Katie was just OK, still needs to find a genere and connect.

Crystal and Siobahn – AWESOME, best of the Girls!

March 10, 2010 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
  12. chipp

Goodbye Paige & Katie. You both did well making it this far; good luck.

March 9, 2010 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Kristy

I like Didi Benami and Crystal Bowersox. If I close my eyes, I think to myself who would I listen to on the radio and they have the voice that would make me stop and listen to the song they were singing. The others paled in comparison. I don't think there was anything wrong with Didi's choice of song. Her voice is different and unique and I absolutely love it. I don't need the high note with someone going insane when singing it. I just need to be entertained. Maybe I like the depressing stuff but I loved it. Paige needs to go home. Pitiful!

March 9, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  14. CW

Crystal Bowersox is the best. Paige was awful. The only one with the WOW! factor was MamaSox.

March 9, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Brenda

I agree Sibhoan was great, Crystal was on again, all the girls
    seemed better tonight. Bring on the guys.

March 9, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  16. lala

Yeah I wasen't crazy about Lily this time. I too love Patsy Cline...but overall Sibhoan and Crystal were the best.......I watched Crystal's a second time!!!! She is my American Idol.....but I do love Sibhoan too. Katie has to go!

March 9, 2010 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  17. JustSaying

House of the Rising Sun wasn't in Goodfellas. It was in Casino. I normally wouldn't point that out but you did follow it up with saying it's one of your favorites.

March 9, 2010 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  18. protogere

I didn't enjoy Lily's version. I love Patsy Cline. If you're going to try her song with that much re-arranging of the vocals, then ditch the musical instruments (slide guitar etc) that make it so identifiably Patsy's.

March 9, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  19. djtunes

This years idol is so painful to watch.The performance by paige was well below her standards. Sibhoan was very good, ...i agree w/ protogere....it was kinda of haunting but in a real cool way. crystal absolutely rocked tonite and lily scott was excellent again....not the greatest song choice by Lily but still awesome. Top three women will be Crystal, Lily, and Sibhoan.

March 9, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  20. shelly

kara.......ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........get rid of the broad........still waiting for them to put Ellen beside Simon..i watched the first 2 songs then changed it to law and order....

March 9, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  21. idolwatcher

Yay Chrystal! Awesome! Lillie....off key too. What is up with her voice and her weird facial movements? Patsy Cline is rolling over in her grave...

March 9, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Lionheart

Ellen needs a face lift to get rid of the wrinkles on her neck

March 9, 2010 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Loray White

i guess in some way Bowersox answered my question. Because she is true to the type of songs she knows she sings best...she sings better! She nailed it again!

March 9, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  24. lala

Yes she gave me goosebumps too, I loved that growl tooo!!

March 9, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Larry

I'm real glad DIDI made it through last week – I really enjoyed last weeks performance and couldn't of disagreed more with all the judges – It was all BS. I've never blogged before – I guess it took that kind of disrespect to another human to break my fast!

Did you have a very distinctive voice, the looks and style – I dig it!!

Go for it!!

LBM

March 9, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  26. protogere

Holy crap Crystal was so amazing! That was the best performance, male or female of the whole season. Wow. I loved the growl in her voice, the range, the power and crescendo that she built up. Wow.

March 9, 2010 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Loray White

Although I feel that Paige is gone tonight, the comments that they don't know what kind of artist they are is more representative of the program than of the artist. Isn't this an "amateur" contest? Where is the mentoring? Why are none of the "experts" giving them direction in terms of the songs they should sing? Evaluating who does a better job of singing would be a lot easier if we knew what they were BEST at singing.

March 9, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  28. lala

OMG she is AWESOME...............GO CRYSTAL!!!!!!!

March 9, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  29. protogere

I must be off tonight because I rather liked Paige's performance. She is so pretty and I love how her choices in songs are so atypical – she goes outside of the expected norm and I thought she did really well.

March 9, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  30. idolwatcher

Seriously...were the judges deaf tonight? Katie was SO off-key throughout the entire song. I could barely stand to not change the channel. And Siobhan? Awesome. Simon, not every song needs a 'moment'. If you listen to some of Kelly Clarkson's songs, there's a lot of just singing or screaming in them. I cannot stand Lacey's voice at all and Didi sounds so much like that Megan Corkery girl from last year. Paige – ooops. Think ya lost it tonight. Can't wait for MamaSox to sing!

March 9, 2010 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  31. lala

Sibhoan gave me goose bumps again tonight!!!

March 9, 2010 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  32. protogere

I absolutely love Didi, but that was bad. The chorus was pretty, but the whole song flopped.

March 9, 2010 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  33. protogere

Katelyn reminds me of this singer/pianist in a piano bar I went to once. That was so tired and blah. I laughed at her facial response to Randy's comment about her Carole King hair.

March 9, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  34. protogere

LoL Lisa I had my little snarky comment about sticking with her arts and crafts and then she started singing. This is the only time I have heard Lacey sing and I haven't wanted to fetch some ear plugs. But anyhow, that was really pretty good, I am surprised she had a voice like that in her. She kind of reminds me of a Rosanne Cash style of singer – a little bluesy, folksy, pop, country – all just rolled into one. She definitely had a good voice for that song.

March 9, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  35. DeeMill

I havent been a Katie fan and agree that that song was NOT her best performance, however, in my opinon this entire season has been a joke. If this season was my first time watching I would have tuned out by now. This is NOT impressive. They got the final 24 WRONG this year!

March 9, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  36. protogere

For once I strongly disagree with Simon. You took the words out of my mouth Lisa – I loved how haunting it started out as and then this tragedy feeling. Siobhan has such an emotional voice, she has so much expression. I love how she just takes you on a journey with her voice.

March 9, 2010 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  37. protogere

Is it just me or are they really speeding through everything tonight?

March 9, 2010 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  38. protogere

Lisa, what you said last week is so right on – Kelly Clarkson songs should not be permitted. It just puts anyone who sings them on that same comparison level.
    Outside of that, even if wasn't a Kelly Clarkson song – Katie was so bland. She is so much better than this, she missed so many notes, was bland and definitely took no risks or chances tonight. I don't hear that as a youthful song – just because Kelly was young, her songs span many generations and she can sing on so many painful levels. Katie had no emotion to sing anything pained or with experience. Does she not know what 'youthful' means?

March 9, 2010 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |