March 9th, 2010

'HIMYM's' Barney meets his match: J. Lo

testing captions
testing captions

The history of stunt-casting on "How I Met Your Mother" is a mixed one - with Britney Spears delivering a bad performance in one of the series' best episodes (and a better performance in a later episode), Enrique Iglesias' pretty memorable turn (as opposed to Mandy Moore's), and Carrie Underwood upstaged by a teacup pig just last week.

On Monday night, we had Jennifer Lopez as the author of a book for single women, not unlike "The Rules," who refuses to be Barney's one-night stand... or even 16-night stand. This time, the guest shot worked: it moved the plot forward without distracting from it. At the end of the day, this show is about Ted, Robin, Marshall, Lily and Barney (and not really, by the way, about how Ted me the mother). One big flaw this season was how quickly Robin and Barney's relationship ended and was forgotten. Well, now, thankfully, this episode addressed that, when Robin, using J. Lo's author character Anita to get her revenge on Barney, once again relapsed into her "mourning period" - which, of course, involved going to the shooting range.

I really liked that they went back and revisited some moments from this season, a few of which originally came across as odd, and showed how Robin was really having trouble getting over Barney. Her breaking point was Barney's "super-date" with Anita, an idea concocted by Ted, in a delightful musical sequence every bit as good as the one in the 100th episode.

Meanwhile, Robin finally planned to go out with her co-anchor Don, thanks to no small amount of prodding by Marshall - he even accepted the date posing as Robin.

Now, no one really wants to see Barney grow and become a "better person" completely. But at the same time, he can't be completely heartless. Once the gang pointed out to Barney how much of a jackass he had been to Robin, even knocking Barney's Stormtrooper head off of its body in the process, he made it up to her in the most selfless way possible, by letting her go on a "super-date" with Don. It was the kind of moment that "HIMYM" does so well - sweet without being schmaltzy.

How do you think J. Lo did? Did you like how they wrapped up the aftermath of Robin and Barney? Do you find yourself hearing "Bang, Bang, Bangity-Bang" running on a loop in your head? Share your thoughts on video or in the comments below.

Filed under: television

1. Cris

its called botox buddy

March 10, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Str8 Outta Tx

Tranny?!
    how the hell do these actresses continue to defy age? i am 19/m/tx, and many of these women are older than my mother (who is 38). however, they look as if they could still be in their late 20's. it's just weird to me that they are so attractive still, yet they are older than my mother!
    jlo is like 40 something.halle berry is like 40 something.ETC.
    stop the madness!!!lol

March 10, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  3. nick

I agree Tranny in the House!!!!!!!!!

March 9, 2010 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Cris

lets face it... J.lo is a Tranny.....

March 9, 2010 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Meze

JLO is irrelevant and a poor actress.

March 9, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ECIZ

"attentive reader" you must be really into whats going on in the world if you come to CNN for your How I Met Your Mother updates.

March 9, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Diana

She cannot act or sing. She needs to stop trying

March 9, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Pekay

I don't care for her music and she couldn't act her way out of a wet paper sack with a chain saw. I fail to see any appeal, whether talent-wise or any other, and cannot understand why a stellar show like HIMYM needs to bring on one-dimensional "personalities."

Other than showing a vulnerable side to Barney (by caring what about Robin's feelings) the whole use of an anti-Barney was ridiculous. And, it certainly did not provide any moral structure to the show other than what goes around, comes around.

Let's get back to HIMYM as it is meant to be . . . a long love letter to Ted's future wife, a platform for Lily and Marshall to grow, a wake-up for Barney, and stability for Robin. This is not "Friends" for the new millenium but it could show some of the same restraint.

March 9, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Elizabeth

I'm not a fan of Jennifer Lopez but, I really liked her in HIMYM last night. She wasn't portrayed as "the star" nor did she try to act like she was "the star" of the show. She was funny and a good addition to last night's storyline. Good job, J-Lo!!

March 9, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Head Diva In Charge

I was flipping through the channel and caught this – it was hilarious. She is good, no doubt. Of course NPH with J Lo is even better!!

March 9, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Attentive Reader

CNN, I've come to your site for years for news and entertainment, tech and sports–pretty much anything since I hate the 24 hour news cycle (because you just cycle over things time and time again) and also because I refuse to be tied to a particular time to get my news.

Thankfully, you've been able to provide the news in a way that allows me to get what I want and a time of my choosing. Unfortunately, that also includes typos, errors, and other assorted issues that can't be a part of any respectable news organization.

Shape up or I'll be on my way to finding a site that actually cares about the quality of the product they produce–even as they rush to bring it to this instant-only society.

Case and point: Once the gang pointed out to Barney how much of a jackass he had been to Robin, even knocking Barney's Stormtrooper head off of its body in the process, he made it up to her in the most selfless way possible, by letting her go on a "super-date" with Robin.

How did Robin go on a super-date with Robin?

March 9, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  12. Kristen

hey mercedes did you become a singer?

March 9, 2010 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  13. mercedes coe

she is a very beautiful woman and still has many miles to go!! i loved her in the movie SELENA. she inspired me to sing and she proved that the unpossible is possible!! she gave me my dream and i am going to contiue it.

March 9, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  14. mercedes coe

she is a very beautiful woman and still has many miles to go!! i love her in the movie SELENA. she inspired me to sing and proved that the unpossible is possible!! she gave me my dream and i am going to contiue it.

March 9, 2010 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  15. Str8 Outta Tx

jlo is like 40 something.halle berry is like 40 something.ETC.
    stop the madness!!!lol

March 9, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  16. pierrebuie2nd

way to go j lo.

March 9, 2010 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  17. TCH

Typo... Robin didn't go on a date with herself, it should read: go on a "super-date" with Don.

March 9, 2010 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |