March 9th, 2010

Did the ladies of 'Idol' bring it home?

testing captions
testing captions

Well, they certainly rushed us through that show, didn't they?

No back stories, videos or much chatter with Seacrest to fill out the show. That episode didn't even feel as long as Ellen's tie tonight.

It feels like the women are getting better, or is it that I am getting used to not being amazed?

I totally agree that MamaSox is the chick to beat after tonight. Who do you think is heading home this week? Who among the eight just wasn't all that great?

Keep up with who's been kicked off and who remains with our "American Idol" tracker!

1. Wayne

"Simon is negative because he knows you have it and wants you to bring it every week."

I agree.. Not sure I would call it negative.. Just opinionated.. Yes he wants to push them to greatness.. To give that extra edge.. like a drill Sargent. Sometimes we don't like it but I think it pushes some of the contestants to greatness while others give up. That's the sad part.. It'
    s not always easy to believe in yourselves on a contestant bases.
    I would not buy everything I hear either. It's a good thing they allowed instruments in the contest. It does not work for all singers. Some singers have great pitch and great singing techniques even while holding their guitars while others it causes them to sing off key. I think it depends on a bunch of things like skill, talent or natural talent like some soccer players/Hockey players have a natural talent at
    what they do. If they can distinguish which would be better suited to them then they can make a better calculated decision I guess. I've had my moments of being critical of the show.. and it's not perfect but I guess I watch it to see the play in action. Not sure the best bands come this way. My guess is the greatest band live it and it happens as there thing. Created should go to the band who backs them too because they do such a great job on the average. There was the one girl. May be "Paige" Not sure.. they told not to smile.. Then she was busy trying to to smile instead of thinking about singing properly.
    Guess they wanted her to be more creatable about knowing who she was. But it work in the reverse. Anyways the ones who go home.. They still got there while others did not... It's sad because they won't go forward but they still made it to that level so it's means something still.

March 11, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Phillippa

Crystal Bowersox makes everyone else look lame. She is the clear star and deserves to win. Can we just cut this thing short and declare her the winner? Please??

March 11, 2010 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  3. steve

Siobhan you can make this muc more competitive. Simon is negative because he knows you have it and wants you to bring it every week.
    Do two things to be in it at the end with Sox.
    1) Dress down and move around the stage like a rocker, say Mick
    2) Pick rock songs with the toughest ranges/high notes and slay em
    3) Try Benetar, Heart, Stevie, and mix in an Etheridge and Joplin to switch up.

No one will forget your moment 2 weeks ago when everyone fell off their couch in disbelief. No contestant ever hit a note like that.
    You will definitely will get a record contract with your unique talent.

March 11, 2010 at 7:25 am | Report abuse |
  4. Deanna

Well I must say their is olny one gal who is the best. And a guy is going to win. This has been the worst singers ever. They really need to get with it. thanks

March 10, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mickey

I think this season of American Idol is awful. I have watched this show since it started. For some reason the talent isn't as good as it should be. The show is so boring and the talent really sucks.

March 10, 2010 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  6. dave xs

well...that was one of the worst episodes of Idol I ave ever seen...nuff said...
    Crystal tears them up though...she's great and the only one last night other than Soibean that had any life.

March 10, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jean P.

Didi's rendition of Rhiannon was horrible. I couldn't believe that the judges liked it! And Katelyn's "I feel the Earth Move"? Come on – this is a singing competition, Katelyn! I can sing that song myself, it's so simple – as Simon pointed out! Why are these girls all singing songs that are from the 1970s? They need to choose songs that are more current and pick up the tempo a little. Crystal Bowersox was the best by far. Siobhan is second. The rest of them don't have the range, the projection, or the control over their voices. I think that Didi and Katelyn need to go home.

March 10, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  8. sritchie

I wish we could vote who we wanted off:)
    Hopefully it will be Katie and Katelyn then maybe paige. I was really liking Lilly a few weeks ago- not crazy about last nights performance

March 10, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. H in NYC

I don't see any stars in this group. I wouldn't buy a CD or download from any of them

March 10, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Wayne

Great responses here.... Cool..

I am impressed that woman have so much talent. Paige is good.. really good.. she just needs a stroke of luck perhaps. Sometimes that happens. Guess they are looking for the singers to make the songs their own. But personality counts too. Some people just are blessed enough that it just flows out easy. While others might finish last today but first or even 2nd/3rd Tomorrow. I can slack it off but I still like the show and find it interesting. The girls are great!!! They will shine bright as the morning star. Bless Them..

Wayne

March 10, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Sarah

My faves are Siobhan, Crystal, and Didi.

No feeling either way on Katie. Great voice but she sounds older than she looks so can't really catch the teen vote...

My least faves are Lacey, Paige, Lilly, and Katelyn in that order. So hopinh Paige and Lilly go. Worried for Didi though.

March 10, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  12. moon627

in the end i think it will come down to Crystal, Siobhan, and Lee and maybe Andy if he steps up... but of course it can all change overnite depending on the votes...

even tho i usually agree with Simon yay or nay i dont understand his critiques half the time (the other judges opinions are worthless)

TD said ..." I wish they make a format where the judges gave each artist a list of 5 songs that they thought they could kill and the contestant could pick from that list. "

i like that idea too !

March 10, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  13. vicky

The best singer in this competition is siobhan, crystal is predictable, she could be anyone trying to sing in a cafe bar. Lili sounds like a senior citizen on meth (and looks horrible). the rest are "really" weak and pretty lame. We shall see what the guys do tonight.

March 10, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  14. CINDY

Siobhan was compelling, Didi didn't embarass herself, but can anyone doubt that Crystal is really the one to beat, as Randy would say, because she has the chops!

March 10, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  15. dtny

BORING........This year is beyond boring. Crystal and Siobhan were good, but no one jumps off the screen. I don't even bother watching the elimination show. Last year I couldn't wait to turn it on to see what Adam was going to sing, wear, etc. That guy has a set of pipes. This year they are horrible... Guys aren't really any better, maybe 3 out of all of them are good...

March 10, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  16. marie

Crystal is good (where did "MommaSox" come from? cute..), Siobhan is good (has Simon heard House of the Rising Sun before?!?), Paige is better than last night's performance (painful), we'd only remember Lily for her hair, and the other 4 are entirely forgettable.

March 10, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  17. mcmmwm

This season I find myself fast forwarding through all the shows. Most of the contestants sing off key and have no clue on how to "sell" a song. I keep thinking it will get better but it doesn't. Where's the next Kelly Clarkson or Chris Daughtry when you need them?

March 10, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Brenda

Is it me or does Lilly look like the love child of Lulu and Tracy Ullman? I like her, but Bowersox is definitely at a whole nuther level.

March 10, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Anster

MamaSox knocks 'em dead. No matter where she lands int the competition (sans Adam Lambert), she'll do just fine.

March 10, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  20. sharon

Crystal is the only true talent I see. I do see potential in Page, she just needs to choose the right song. Hopefully the fellas will bring it tonight!

March 10, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  21. Just A Thought

Well, Simon was right in that it was dark, but I think it was supposed to be. I would have liked to see her really get into a stronger chorus; but overall, powerful and really good.

March 10, 2010 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  22. Jane

Usually agree with Simon's point of view, but surprised by his criticism of Siobhan last night. Any one else?

March 10, 2010 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  23. Stewart

I don't get the love for Bowersox, she can sing, but so can thousands of others. I don't think there is anything unique or interesting about her. She has her nice little comfort zone and likes to stay in it, but like the poster above said, what is she going to do when they ask her to sing something different?

I think Siobahn is probably my favorite so far. She's got an awesome voice that seems like it is capable of doing more then the Sox.

I think Lily, Paige, and Katy need to go, probably in that order.

March 10, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  24. Charlie O

Yup..MamaSox is the only one I would vote for. I think for me it has not been that anyone has been really bad I just have not seen anyone that I WANT to vote for.

March 10, 2010 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  25. Nick Marino

UGGGHHHHHHH!!! They were all so boring!!! I guess Katelyn was my fav, but not by much. Crystal is good but she's bordering on completely predictable. And Lily Scott... WTF? Why do people like her? She's so creepy! The way she sings and the songs she choose just don't for it for me. Overall, I would like to see Siobhan stick around the longest, because she's weird and fun. But I also want her to stay away from House of the Rising Sun type songs like she did last night. SNOOZER!

March 10, 2010 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  26. Just A Thought

The songs are so slow and lacking energy or feeling! It's depressing! Come girls, get into it have FUN as they say! This is the time to shine, and they are not!

March 10, 2010 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  27. Just A Thought

MY bets – Paige for sure..and Katlyn are Gone.

March 10, 2010 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  28. Scottie

Why is it that the same people who say they're not going to watch anymore, continue to watch and complain?? Look, Crystal is the one to beat – we all know it. It's great that she's not the standard pop singer that Idol promotes – she's got her own thing, and I honestly didn't think that the Tracy Chapman song could be done better, but Crystal did it . . .with style! Siobhan, again, pulled another trick out of her hat by going after House of the Rising Sun. I had chills at the beginning of that song, and I'm a rock fan! Didi – I love her to death. Good looks, great voice, good song choice. But the fans aren't going to vote for her – she'll do better to put out a CD and start making money. She reminds me of Edie Brickell.

Forget the judges, people. Just vote!

March 10, 2010 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
  29. Just A Thought

Paige is so GONE....Smile...I could only grimmace in pain...I mean she looked like she so scared and sruggling with that song. It was terrible.
    Katelyn looked so out of place behind whatever that thing was she was playing. No energy or feeling in the song at all.
    DiDi had a good song choice but to me could have put a lot more feeling into the song and she didn't.

Crystal, Siobahn, are the only ones that should feel really good about thier performances. Everyone else could easily be gone with last nights performances

March 10, 2010 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  30. margaret

I think Idol is boring this year... Adam Lambert at least put a show on for all of us. Most of them this year really bore me I try to watch it but always end up turning the channel. Simon needs a slap in the face also, when you watch him when someone is singing he is not even paying attention to them. If he does not like them at the begining forget it he will just look around at everyone else and ignore the singer.

March 10, 2010 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  31. margaret

Ellen needs to go. She is making a fool out of herself. She has NO CLUE on what she saying,making things up and of course trying to be funny. Go Home ELLEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 10, 2010 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
  32. Libra2849

Weak, in more ways than one, yet again. It's like a train wreck..you know you shouldn't watch but you can't help yourself. There was one outstanding..Bowersox and one fairly good performer..Siobhan. I don't understand the judges this year at all. What am I missing here?? Lily was good?? Siobhan wasn't?? does not make sense at all. Lily has a weak voice as do the rest of them. Not too many of them are current with their song choices and so they have a bad performance.. Carol King..Charlie Chaplin..Most of these girls weren't alive when the songs they are singing were popular.
    who is coaching these girls? Unbelievable. Weak songs for weak voices.

March 10, 2010 at 7:03 am | Report abuse |
  33. RE

I am so fed up with this years contestants. There is not a single one of them this year that can sing worth a darn. I have fast forwarded through just about every one of them on my TIVO because I just couldn't take there slow, old and boring song that they just butcher. It seems like the judges must have either had no one to pick from during auditions or they had earplugs in the whole time because if these were the best America had to offer out of the thousands who tried out, then there really is no talent left in this country!

March 10, 2010 at 6:38 am | Report abuse |
  34. George

Siobhan was my favorite, Bowersox second favorite. The rest were boring

March 10, 2010 at 2:30 am | Report abuse |
  35. Joe Schmo

i agree with T man... Last season was horrible. Adam Lambert isn't a singer, he's a screamer. I got so sick of him screeching on stage like a wounded animal but the judges just ate it up. Bowersox and Siobhan are the best. Paige and Lily deserve to go home. Neither have blown me away at all. And for 3 weeks now, I find myself in pain during Lily's horrid performances and all 3 weeks the judges think she's the next coming. I just don't get their love for her. She didn't even deserve a spot in the top 24.

March 10, 2010 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  36. chipp

I had my two going home picked before the show started & the show didn't change my mind. Numbers one & six (in performance order) most likely will be leaving AI9. Next week's elimination will be far more difficult for me.

March 9, 2010 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Kristy

I love Didi and Crystal. Didi will probably go home but I think she will do better if she does a cd than most of the others because I love her voice and I think others will too. The day of the high notes are long gone. Most songs that are played on today's radio aren't about that. I usually prefer men over women singers but they are definitely my favorite female singers.

March 9, 2010 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  38. T man

so much better than last season, which was awful!
    soxmama is kicking their teeth in, and it feels good. shaphon (or however it's spelled) is easily #2...the rest are interchangable or just boring. the votes were dead on last week, hope again this week so we can stay interested.

March 9, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Yoli

What is it with Lily, she is awful and they keep pulling her chain. I think Paige should be given another chance, she is a great singer.

March 9, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Wayne

I think the girl who sang the song by Tracy Chapman did wonderfully well.
    She is amazing. She played the guitar very well and made a home run with her performance. There was the girl who sang the House Of The Rising Sun song which as Simon said did not have a moment but I felt she sang very well and pulled it off regardless but I understand what Simon meant. Great girl. I think they did okay. Not super great but the girl
    who did the Tracy Chapman song did pull it off. She is amazing.

Great to see Ryan doing well and supporting the fine talents as a great host.

Regards

Wayne

Wayne

March 9, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  41. vallary

Only Crystal. she is a true talent. I found myself wanted to change to the channel and see what else was on. I hope the guys bring something good tomorrow.

March 9, 2010 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Loray White

I hope you're right protogere. If Katie, Ketelyn, or Lily were in the mix for going home, that would give a reprieve for Paige.

March 9, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  43. mddiva

Paige Miles and either Katie Stevens or Kathlyn Epperly. Paige should sing more soulful songs. I know she wants to be more pop but she needs to sing soulful songs, then again she needs soul to do that and I'm not sure she had it. Katie and Kathlyn were just uninspiring. I can appreciate Bowersox but what is she going to do when they tell her to sing a Lionel Richie or Hall and Oates songs later in the season. I just came back to Idol this season to see Ellen and so far I'm not impressed.

March 9, 2010 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  44. kopana

It doesn't take Simon to tell us that MamaSox is the most talented on this season of American Idol....

March 9, 2010 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  45. CW

MamaSox is great. The others were BORING.

March 9, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  46. protogere

I agree Lisa that it was really rushed, but I kind of appreciated it as sometimes the backstories leave me wondering wth!
    Crystal is obviously safe.
    The worst, I think were Katie followed by Katelyn and Lily. Didi could easily be interchanged with any but Katie for the worst.
    Thanks for the fun Lisa!