March 8th, 2010

Sandra Bullock blind sided by Oscar-winning role

Sandra Bullock was happy with her career, doing movies she loved but not necessarily looking to win an Oscar, and then out of nowhere came her award-winning "Blind Side" role.

And to think, she almost turned it down.

"This came out of left field," the actress explained backstage at the awards show Sunday. "This was the film I said no to. I didn't see it coming; no one saw it coming."

Bullock, who went up against Meryl Streep, Carey Mulligan, Gabourey Sidibe and Helen Mirren for the best actress, has quite the love affair going with Streep.

Not only did Bullock compliment Streep's kissing ability in her acceptance speech, but she also feels as though she’s sharing the award with her.

In fact, she feels like she “shared the award with all the women in this category,” Bullock said backstage.

One award she isn’t sharing with any of the other best actress nominees is the Razzie she got on Saturday for “All About Steve.”

But Bullock, who’s known for her humor, didn’t appear to take it personally. “I had the best time at the Razzies last night,” she said. “You gotta take the good with the bad.”

Bullock said she didn’t expect such goodness to come from “The Blind Side.”

But in the end, she wants “to do all types of films. I love making people laugh. But I know I am going to make mistakes, and I am going to keep doing this until I am no longer asked to do it anymore.”

Filed under: movies • Oscars 2010 • Sandra Bullock

« Previous entry
  1. cell phone

Valuable info. Fortunate me I discovered your website unintentionally, and I'm shocked why this accident did not took place in advance! I bookmarked it.

April 19, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jeanie

Congratulations!

June 15, 2010 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  3. Rhye from Philippines

I love Sandra B.! We are so happy she won. She deserves that award after her many unforgettable works. Go Sandra!

March 11, 2010 at 2:51 am | Report abuse |
  4. Annette

Sandra Bullock...finally a real person in Hollywood. All the best!

March 9, 2010 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  5. moon627

i havent seen THE BLIND SIDE but i like Sandra Bullock and was happy to see her win ... it looked like Meryl was happy for her too

March 8, 2010 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Dave in Savanah

There's always more than one person who deserves these awards. They're inherently unfair to some extent. Still, I was happy to see Sandra B get the Oscar last night. This role was her best shot at getting serious critical recognition, after years of consistently superior performances, and she didn't waste the opportunity.

March 8, 2010 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. jjingle32

I am very pleased that Sandra won. She is a very beautiful, funny, talented lady. i have always enjoyed her work. Good or bad film, I find her work to be honest and sincere. I will continue watching her movies and buying them.

March 8, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Robb

And for best acceptance speech at the Academy Award ceremony, the Oscar goes to...Sandra Bullock. Give her another Oscar.

March 8, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  9. nessa99

I Was sooo happy when they called her name. My bf and i were watching from the start of the red carpet and the only award we were really watching for was best female actor to see if sandra bullock got it.. and when she did, we both jumped up! it was so nice and i was sooo happy for her. Finally she is recognized! I LOVED her speech and the connection between her and her husband is touching. this was the best choice!!

March 8, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  10. steve

What is wrong with you people, it is not about deserving the award, it is about the ability of the artistic craft. The award should have gone to Gabby for her role as Precious.

I deserve to win the lottery, did I, no. Everybody deserves a good life, job, and a home, do they get it, no.

Grow up, Sandra Bullock is cute, and perky, that's about it.

March 8, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  11. mcmmwm

This woman is a class act. So glad she won!

March 8, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  12. mcmmwm

This woman is a class act. Congratulations to her!

March 8, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Lin1945

I loved her performance in The Blind Side. Every student in high school should have to read the book or see the movie. It is a wonderful story and deserves accolades. We can all learn about humanity, charity and love through the story.

March 8, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Babs

I sat up to watch the awards, hoping Sandra would take home the Oscar, a super job. And a true class act, she is.

March 8, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Rebecca

See thats how we breed them here in Arlington, VA....Go Sandy making your home town proud!!!

March 8, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  16. dunnville

Not only does she win an Oscar, she goes home to Jesse James every night; double win

March 8, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  17. matt

oh, the oscars were last night? WHO CARES!? just a hollyweird get together where they pat each other on the back, then go back to figuring out how to remake a previous story, and how to rip us off at the movies next weekend. have you seen most of the SLOP that comes out of Hollyweird? i can;t remember the last time thee was actually a GOOD movie released that had a story behind it. OMG – did anyone see that shower curtain Monique was wearing? I never knew Coleman made dresses, I've always insisted on coleman when shopping for TENTS! gross!

March 8, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  18. chicojorge

Like Kathleen Turner, Sandra Bullock has been entirely watchable in mostly terrible movies. As Bullock noted, "this might be my only time here" (at podium as Best Actress winner–and she's right), so this win was good on many levels.

March 8, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  19. sharon

I think Sandra Bullock is a true class act, who has paid her dues, and I am glad she won. Very gracious and funny, she is one of those rare actresses (like Streep) who performs just as well in a comedic role as she does in a dramatic one. And as much as I believe that Streep probably deserved the Oscar perhaps a little more for her role as Julia Child, I don't think ANYONE, including Streep, begrudges Ms. Bullock her award for the Blind Side. She was stellar! Congrats and well-done, and I hope we will continue to enjoy her talent for many years to come!

March 8, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  20. TexasB

Diana of Missouri, I'm glad you agree that Sandra deserved to win the Oscar over Meryl Streep's performance in "It's Complicated." How did you feel about Meryl's performance in "Julie & Julia," since that's the movie for which she was nominated?

March 8, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Wanjimut

I thank God Sandra won. The speech was a pure class act and funny. It showed her humility, grace and down-to-earth nature

March 8, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Mason

Her acceptance speech was one of the great ones, as well. Her focus on women who are mothers to all they come in contact with as well as praise for her mother's gifts of tolerance were wonderful. CONGRATULATIONS!

March 8, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  23. John G

Yes she deserved it. The rest of the cast was excellent also. Unfortunately, there was no mention of the director who helped get the incredible performances out of these people, including Sandra. Meryl was also superior in Julia. Good thing that being nominated counts almost as much as getting the award.

March 8, 2010 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  24. Diana of Missouri

The Blind Side is one of the best movies I have ever seen; and Sandra Bullock was amazing. My husband and I went to see it together; as well at "It's Complicated" with Meryl Streep. That was a good movie, too . . . and I love watching Meryl Streep. But the Oscar went to the BEST actress . . . and this is one time I have to say I feel they got it right when they chose the BEST actress for these two movies as Sandra Bullock. She was not only great in this movie; but I never miss a movie she's in. She is a beautiful, great, down to earth person. One of my favorite movies of all time is "While You Were Sleeping", that I still watch constantly. But I have to say, as much as I love that one . . . "The Blind Side" was fantastic! Congratulations Sandra . . . It's been a long time coming . . . and you deserve it.

March 8, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  25. TBam

I was never a Bullock fan until recently. I think over the years she has grown into an amazing actor. She has proven her ability to perform in any situation. I really like the strong powerful woman she portrays in a few of her movies. Blind side was a great example of her more serious side. All About Steve, well it was kind of corney in spots but left us laughing. One of her more recent movies that has become a favorite with my family is The Proposal. I am glad she won, and very happy for her. I look forward to many movies to come. Congrats to an amazing actor, Sandra

March 8, 2010 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  26. Tomboye3213

Congrats to Sandra Bullock. This is a well deserved honor for a very good actress that has never gotten the credit she deserves because she shines so brightly in romantic comedies. If anyone saw the movie 28 Days, thay would know the depth of Sandra's talent. She is wonderful, real, genuine and talented. Bravo Sandra!

March 8, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  27. DiLiNi

God gives us what we deserve in most unexpected moments.....
    u deserve....it.......sandy....

March 8, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  28. democratlady

Great story, and Sandra has the Southern woman with a social conscience nailed! This film received the one Oscar that it deserved.

March 8, 2010 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  29. julie

Jessica...you may want to spell check your emails before sending.
    Character is not spelled "charecter". I couldn't get past your comments for the incorrect spelling. Sad.

March 8, 2010 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  30. JGM in Durango

I had the great pleasure of meeting Sandy (and, yes, when I addressed her as 'Ms. Bullock', she replied, 'It's just Sandy, please.') at her restaurant in Austin.

What I assumed would be a quick 'meet and greet', ended up being a five minute conversation. She is the most charming, down to earth, unassuming person you could ever want to meet. And, she is indeed that funny and self depricating in real life.

I am so pleased that she won. She's a true working actress.

March 8, 2010 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  31. hockeyinveins

The role which I will always remember Sandra for is Love Potion Number 9,
    Unassuming, innocent and just a fun movie to watch.

March 8, 2010 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  32. JANICE of Gypsum

Sandy is awesome. I would go see any movie that she's in because she is just so entertaining. I watched the Oscars last night because I knew she would win. I couldn't wait to hear her speech. I love how she loves Meryl just as the rest of us do. She is so real. Love you Sandy.

March 8, 2010 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  33. Hellokitty

Her dress and make up was right on for the awards!
    You can just see it in her, she strives to make the most of what she has in a humbling way. She loves the people around her.
    She's one of those people that really makes a difference to everyone she meets.

March 8, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  34. Danny E Gonzalez

Amazing Movie; she was really good on it and the message was incredible... it does justice to the real life story, it teaches us that we all deserve a chance and that it is up to all of us to reach out and help one another... congrats to Sandra...

March 8, 2010 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  35. Michigan Man

Sandra Bullock is underrated. Great job in the movie. I enjoy the fact that she has not gone "Hollywood" by getting all the plastic work done. Keep in natural Sandra!

March 8, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  36. George, Mo_Mo

I too am happy that she won! The actress that she potray remined me so much of my aunt, sister, and mother, and other women that have came in to my life and made a big differnce!. This women were the ones always looking out for those that could not look out for themselves. My hat and emotions is off to you all, thank you!!

March 8, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  37. StockJames

I'm glad she finally won one. This movie proves that she isn't just an actress that does romantic comedies or the occasional action movie, but she can do meatier roles as well.

March 8, 2010 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  38. Jessica

I am glad Bullock won. I havent seen all the movies to know if her performance was better than the rest, so its hard to say if she deserved it more than the rest. However, I do believe she deserved this award in the sense that even though every movie is different, she brings a familiar element to the charecter – a well rounded nature that isnt often seen in the first 20 min of the movie. Sure, she may often play the goofy, silly type of charecter – but the humanity she envelopes every charecter with is awe-inspiring. I cant think of many actresses that are capable of making a charecter funny, sexy and smart all at the same time...will wrapping that beautiful package tied with a huge heart. I think its more than a talent, its simply who she is...and as viewers of her movies, we can attest that its infinitely more valuable than sophmoric – yet still funny – type of humor that Will Farrell delivers. Maybe she plays "herself" in a lot of her movies...but what a fabulous person to truly be, no?

March 8, 2010 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  39. trim

Didn't see the movie but I like Sandra and if Gabourey couldn't win then I'm glad she did. She seems like one of the few down to earth actresses in Hollywood. Can't quite see what she saw in Jesse James though.

March 8, 2010 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  40. My Name is Jose Jimeniz

If you know anything about movies and their social redeeming values, ITs COMPLICATED was THE very best Movie of the Year, and Streep should have won the BEST ACTRESS for her role in that movie.

Since that movie wasn't nominated for some unklnown reason, the BLIND SIDE was the best movie and Bullock was the BEST female actress of all the movies nomionated.

March 8, 2010 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  41. Ted

She is a class act and I'm glad she won!

March 8, 2010 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  42. Stellaj

Very happy she won! She was fantastic, and looked absolutely georgeous! Congrats Sandra!!

March 8, 2010 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  43. M. Duffie

I love Sandra Bullock in virtually every movie she's ever made, and I'm glad her acting ability was finally recognized by the Academy. Even as an Oscar-winning actress, her best roles will always be in romantic comedies.

March 8, 2010 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  44. Meggan

Congratulations!
    While I adore Bullock in romantic comedies – I think that the Blind Side made her work harder and delve deeper.

March 8, 2010 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  45. Dave

I like her and all that. And she was never more cute than in her break-through role in the great action film, Speed. But probably a whooooollllee bunch of actresses could have played this role (Jennifer Aniston, etc) - and on seeing the short trailer of Julia with Streep - wow - Streep is brilliant and it's a shame (and compliment) that she's been nominated 16 times as Best Actress, but hasn't won it since 1983. I'm sure she's floored she lost "again!!!" but to Sandra Bullock??? That's probably the toughest of the losses she's had to date. I think maybe SB won because of the content of the film, and maybe less for acting. But in fairness, I'll watch the movie first.

March 8, 2010 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  46. Rocky

I'm so glad she won. She was fantastic in this movie.

March 8, 2010 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  47. Lorraine

excellent actor and human being...well deserved.

March 8, 2010 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  48. leprechankid

Ms Bullock, you are the best!! You are such a shining example of a woman who has intelligence, balance and self-confidence. Love ya!

March 8, 2010 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  49. Get serious

Glad she won...it was her time.

March 8, 2010 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |