March 8th, 2010

Mo'Nique: The Academy judged on talent, not politics

Mo'Nique assured the press backstage that everything she needed to say she'd already said when she accepted the Oscar for best supporting actress.

Reveling in the moment, she said, "I'm a stand-up comedian who just won an Oscar."

But for the "Precious" actress, her win was bigger than her. In her acceptance speech, she acknowledged Hattie McDaniel, the first African-American to win an Academy Award, and backstage, Mo'Nique was still expressing her gratitude to those who came before her.

"The reason I am wearing this royal blue dress," she said, "and this flower in my hair is because it's what Hattie McDaniel wore when she won her Oscar."

Mo'Nique had been accused of not working the awards season circuit as most others do, and she addressed those politics in her acceptance speech.

She added backstage that she's so happy that the Academy didn't play the game that the media wanted them to play and didn't judge her on how many dinners she attended, but rather on her work and her performance.

Style experts, on the other hand, have been judging her on her copious amounts of leg hair. But hey, if all the actresses stopped shaving their legs and got a little more meat on their bones, they just may win Oscars too, Mo'Nique joked.

Filed under: Oscars 2010

1. Rhye from Philippines

I think it would be much better if she made herself humble and thankful with her speech as a first time winner. Sometimes things are better left unsaid. Hahaha. Politics is a given thing. Including it in your speech will mess yourself up just like what happened to her. Anyway, congratulations.

March 11, 2010 at 3:56 am | Report abuse |
  2. Sheila Robinson

Radar you nailed it! As I was reading all of the responses, I said "did anyone hear the Best Costume Winner." Now she was clearly full of herself, but I just said whatever, that is who she is.
    Takes much more than someones acceptance speech to ruffle my feathers with the recession, war, aids, cancer, divorce, drugs, death of loved ones, and tragedies!
    Come on people....Live and Let Live......or do or say something so compelling that it impacts lives and change the world for the BETTER!

March 8, 2010 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. I L T

Mo'Nique I totally congradulate you on your award!! And I totally agree with the comments made by I M T...in addition...Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, It simply means that you are two steps ahead....!!!!!

March 8, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Dinkle

Monique's first words were an unfortunate choice and show her true personality because she had time to work on that speech.
    Aside from that, everyone should stop the 'black' argument. What is it going to take to get over this argument all the time. In fact I think mentioning how difficult it is to be black is racist.
    Monique should not be a role model for anyone either, not until she drops wait and learns how to function in formal situations. There were plenty of people in that room last night that have never had an Oscar, for years, and her crack about performance/politics was a slap in the face to all those people. Because of that comment she is about to find out about politics. She won't get another chance at an Oscar.

March 8, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. NorThernBro

"I can't stand MoNique she is a loud mouth classless jerk!"

I can't stand her either. Maybe she played the part so well because it's just so close to how she really is.

She’s rude, arrogant, and classless.

Anyways, … umm Mark I don’t know where your coming from with the “many black women do not feel the need to shave their legs...and we black men don't have the same squeamishness about it that others may have.” Yeah, uhh that’s just plain nasty and QUITE unattractive but then again, after seeing how many of you ‘all black brother’s to the south will just about get with anything, (You did see ‘Precious’ right?) then it’s not surprising at all. Nasty..

Sure glad our black women here in Canada shave, look and feel good.

March 8, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  6. wayne

Radar: cudos to you for pointing out that weird, very self-indulgant acceptance speech by that silly looking woman with the little black hat stapled to the side of her head. Now, I'm just anxious to see if the clip of the old bag taking the mic from the gentleman during his acceptance speech will be shown as much as the Kanye West/Taylor Swift clip was shown.

March 8, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Dare

Most of these comments are sad...not suprising. I wouldn't be shocked if 1/2 of the people commenting on here didn't even watch the movie or read the book PUSH.

Monique....you made all us strong hard working confident thick women proud!! May God continue to bless everything you touch!!

March 8, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  8. tina g

Monique did thank her precious family if you listened to her speech Rob so stop being critical if you don't know what you are talking about. Good for you Monique and you are right it was a great role played by you and the whole precious crew. Kudos.

March 8, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  9. tina g

Monique did thank her precious family if you listened to her speech Todd so stop being critical if you don't know what you are talking about. Good for you Monique and you are right it was a great role played by you and the whole precious crew. Kudos.

March 8, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Amstyle

I am glad that Mo'Nique won. I was one that was hoping that she wouldn't but she accepted her reward with such humbleness and gratitude. I hope to see more of here in films, not comedy but drama. Congrats Sista Girl!!

March 8, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Lisa F

After reading the comments I went to a site and watched her acceptance speech. I have been a fan of Monique's since before the Queens of comedy tour and because of that I did not see an "angry" or "chip on her shoulder" woman....I saw a thankful, greatful and hurprised woman who won an award for a performance that made her dig deep into her dark past to play. I remember reading an article in essance that explained how she herself dealt with incest and molestation as a child so imagine playing a role in which the its in reverse and now you are playing the predator. I comend Tyler Perry and Oprah for bringing this movie to the masses of ppl that watched and I look forward to watching Monique in future role that really showcase her talent as not just a stand up comedian but as a strong woman ( notice I did not say black woman). She had a powerful sense of being and I encourage any of you who have not seen her in previous roles to check out her comedy or her late night show on BET....peace and blessing to all who read this....

March 8, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. ADT2

Haven't seen the movie, but loved the speech. Hattie McDaniel was an amazing woman. Anytime she gets a shout out is a good thing! The pros and cons of every performance and speech can be debated ad nauseum, but the bottom line is the Academy voted for her and she won. Period. You can't please all the people all the time. Congrats to Mo'nique!

March 8, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Radar

Thank you Kathy for spelling out what Mo'Nique meant by by "politics." NL, she could not get the Best Actress award because she was not the main character; she had a supporting role in the film, hence Best Supporting Actress. I did not see the film, but every clip I saw of her and every person I spoke to who did see it said, she was phenomenal. I did feel, at first, she slighted other black actresses who won until I read that she is trying to get a project about Hattie McDaniel made. She is very passionate about this project and has a deep admiration for Miss McDaniel, as a great many of us do. In my opinion, Mo'Nique has always had a slight edge to her, that's part of her shtick. I believe an actor/actress should ONLY receive an award for their performance, not out of sympathy, not out of outrage, not out of pity. Actually, the speech given by the woman who won for Best Costume Design bothered me way more than anything Mo'Nique said.

March 8, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  14. cam

well...her acceptance speech in a "nutshell" was strangely familiar to the alligator's acceptance speech for the nomination of the Princess and the Frog during the animation nominations....so I guess "politics" will always have the last tee hee anyway.

March 8, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Che'

Yes!...It was quite interesting to hear this soundbite of Monique....Yeah!....She does seem a litte bit angry (narciscistic)....but the reality is .....it's 2010 .....If our people (black) are angry at any function – Hell, we gotta right to be......It's bad enough that our work 'period' in any genre isn't honored or held in high esteem as art until WHITE people recognize it and announce to the world that they seen something unique and BLACK or the black person is the first to receive such a so called HONOR!......No White Folk!....The reality is as much as you would like to honor Monique for a ROLE that she played in movie, this is very much a part of the black experience as a young person in this !@#$%^& country (being reared by a single MoM in the ghetto)......The haunting thing is that there are plentiful characters in the HOOD that can identify with Monique's character WHITE PEOPLE ......You just more/less don't care about the REAL dynamic.....just the one that either puts money in your pocket or never gets told.....YOU'LL NEVER SEE A BLACKMAN WINNING AN AWARD FOR BEING AN ANGRY BLACKMAN IN THIS COUNTRY....just win he decides to be corrupted on the other side of the law.....Typical!!!!!.........Good Job Monique....I'm glad the Academy Awards didn't turn you into a black white-girl.....that's usually the M.O!!

March 8, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Shannon

Oops. She makes no apologies for it. Not smakes......LOL

March 8, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  17. M. Scott

Rob, Rob, Rob. Yet another one who thinks they really understand. Clearly you are of the privileged race and you operate under "white privilege." I suggest you stay in your lane. Now go back and look at the few Black's who have won in the last six years. Denzel was in 'John Q;' a positive and moving role. However he won for 'Training Day' where he played a horrible person. Halle Berry won for her role and probably mostly for her sex scene with Billy Bob Thornton (I guess his color validated her). And what about the 8 oscars won by 'Out of Africa' over 'The Color Purple.' For some reason, a bunch of Caucasians in the wilderness for three hours was a far better story? In that case, it was a slap in the face for Blacks and Steven Spielberg (Jewish). By "politics" she was addressing the criticism she was getting for not kissing ass on press junkets, late night talk shows and morning shows to drum up votes. She's right. If she still got the award with that criticism in place, it means she earned it by her performance. Rob, I know you think you understand, but you don't. However, I'm not faulting you. That's how "white privilege" works and lucky for us who do understand, we are accustomed to views like yours.

March 8, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Shannon

Kathy! I agree with you 100%. I didn't get anything about race out of what she said, but, people are always gonna want to find something negative to talk about. Mo has lost a lot of weight and I thought she looked fabulous. I guess just because she is overweight she should have been wearing a mumu? Did you see Miley Cyrus' dress? She is thin and she looked worse than poured into her dress, she looked like she was stooping over and very uncomfortable because her dress was so tight. Oh, but, its okay cuz she is skinny? LOL I saw Precious on opening night and Mo'nique was the reason that I wanted to see the movie to begin with. She is harsh. That is her style and I think a lot of people just don't get her because of her personality type, which is okay, smakes no apologies for it. Precious was an excellent movie and contrary to ignorant remarks above, not just any overweight person could have played that role, she did an excellent job. And LOL to NL, she could not have gotten nominated for that same category because she was only a supporting actress, she was not in the leading role. ...Hoorah for you Mo'Nique.

March 8, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Nick

i bet if a white person were to get up and say those same comments he/she would be standing up for his/her rights. because a black person said it, it's racist, it's this , its that. please people it is such a double standard in this world. she won the award, its over with.

March 8, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Laurie

I thought her speech was great and humbling. Its said to see a lot of you had negative things to say. She did not diss the other nominees and she clearly thanked her 'Precious Family'.

Backstage she said, "Through this journey and process... some reporters wrote, 'Someone needs to teach Mo'Nique a lesson. Someone needs to tell her how this game is played.' she also continued by saying "I am very proud to be part of an Academy that says, 'We will not play that game. We will judge her on her performance and not how many dinners she attended and how many pictures she took. It's on the screen.' I am proud to hold this Oscar in my hand."

I thought the award was soley based on performance. Its pretty sad to see what matters most to some when selecting an academy winner.

Although the sound, special effects, short films, etc seem boring if it wasnt for these people there would be no movie. They deserve the high-profile recognition the actors and actresses get. Unfortuntately, its hard to make those categories seem fun and entertaining. Let's face it, this award show will always be boring.

March 8, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  21. MAC

Why are you guys hating on monique? I have met her she is a very smart talented person. So instead of talking about her give her the props she deserve. You go monique!

March 8, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  22. mspaap2u

For those who do not know what "real' means, the context of what i meant is that she is not "pretentious," and remains beautiful.

D.R.R. OKC

March 8, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  23. mspaap2u

Monique is real in whatever she does. You can quote me on that.

March 8, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  24. wayne

Rob, your comments spoken like a true KK Klansman. Only this time you don't have to hide behind a white sheet, you get to hide behind your keyboard. In 82 yrs, less than 10 Black actors and actresses have won Oscars for their acting performances. Yes, I'm sure you believe the scales are quite balanced in your small, twisted world.

March 8, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Curt

I didn't see the movie, but from what I saw/read, Monique deserved the win. I wasn't that impressed with her speech, talking about the politics of the business, if it weren't for the politics (Oprah and Tyler Perry), this movie may have never been seen by anyone, so be careful when you bash it on one side, but the other side of politics basically got you the win.

March 8, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Kathy

Did anyone actually GET what Mo'Nique said? She didn't refer to race, but to the GAME. In order for ANY actor or film to be in contention for an Oscar, the actor has to do the schmoozing on talk shows, attending press junkets, parties, dinners, robo-calls & e-mails to the Academy board in order to win. She did not want to do all that mess. She wanted her performance to speak for itself, which it did. She has a talk show on BET. She has young children & a husband to look after as well. I wouldn't want to do all that nonsense, either! Just because she's not a "Hollywood Hoe" doesn't mean she should be subjected to all the Hater-Aide some people here & in Hollywood are drinking towards her! And she deserved the Oscar! So mind your business about her weight. If it's ok with her husband, it's ok with her. She's a Queen of Comedy! She looked a hell of a lot better than some of the walking skeletons I saw last night (Sarah Jessica Parker, et al).

March 8, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Mark

Ok folks...time to help my caucasian friends....many black women do not feel the need to shave their legs...and we black men don't have the same squeamishness about it that others may have. I have had many girlfriends that have had very sexy, unshaved legs. Get over it.

March 8, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  28. imt

Congratulations, Monique – I did not see the movie – but it is obvious that you gave it your all and the rest was left to the academy committee to decide. So enjoy your Oscar! I do think that as a black woman that, we should stop making rationalizations for being who we are. You must believe in yourself and understand that the race is not given to the swift or the brave; but to those who endure to the end.

March 8, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Jim

Didn't see the movie, after seeing a shot "F bomb" laden clip, I decided like I have for many other movies that the language was way too nasty for me.

March 8, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  30. NL

I agree with you 100% Billy K the Oscars was last night and I already dont care. I can't stand MoNique she is a loud mouth classless jerk! She needs to take some lessons from Oprah on how to carry yourself at an awards show. Thanking her husband??? What about Oprah and Tyler who actually promoted the movie because she sure did not. If she did so good in the movie why wasn't she nominated for best actress and go up against the best??? Why take second? Because of the politcs, they needed a black win with this one and that is the only catagory she could win in was Second place.

March 8, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  31. lc

lisa dont hate – are you just jealous that's what it sound like to me...what does weight have to do with anything i saw alot of fat white people..

March 8, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Rick

Clearly Monique insulted the other nominees. It was classless. Her performance was great, but she needs to take th chip off her shoulder. Likely we'll never see her in another good film again. And that WILL be politics. My advice to Mo, use the fame you derived from this film to become a spokesman for Jenny Craig and lose weight - unless you want to be dead by 40. She's a quadruple bypass waiting to happen.

March 8, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  33. Sam

To those who want to criticize her acceptance speech: do it the way it should be done when you win an Oscar. That'll show her.

March 8, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  34. Billy K

Couldn't she just be gracious and thankful for being given the opportunity to do what she loves while getting paid a lot of money to do it? Why stop at Hattie McDaniel for paving the way for you, why not thank Harriet Tubman or Abe Lincoln? Geez lady, get over yourself, you're not curing Cancer. Nobody will care 6 months from now...

March 8, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  35. Toni

Izzy:
    What was bigoted about Monique'speech and how did she blow it, I need the quotes please??? Your attempt to undermine an artist by calling them a 'so-called' star says what about you? Folks need to get over it and realize it's a 'personal' acceptance speech and that you have the 'choice' to get on that stage and speak through your heart, regardless as to who likes it. NOTHING that was said by her was bigoted, Izzy. You need to re-watch and LISTEN WELL. To each its own and people shouldn't be lambasted for saying whatever it is that is on their mind or is that just regarded for 'some' who are allowed to get up and say whatever it is they like – now that would be bigotry wouldn't it? Please don't forget Marlon Brando's choice in1973 to decline his acceptance of Best Actor for the Godfather because of the treatment of the American Indian on and off film – was he a bigot too Izzy? Or what about when Jack Nicholson dedicated his award to Miles Davis? And when you call an artist a 'so-called star', remember it is you who is 'watching' and paying attention to the 'so-called' star, meanwhile they couldn't pick you out of a lineup. I don't get it. (deep sigh) We spend way to much time picking apart all this stuff, but when I saw the 'bigotry' comment, I was and am flabbergasted...next! Rob, it is hard. Here's a history lesson...Hattie McDaniels won an Oscar in 1939, and Sidney Poitier in 1963 – now I'm no mathmetician but that's a 24 year difference. Now If I may give you the small numbers of black actors and actresses who have won Academy Award's over the years (1929-2010) is a total of 13 in comparison to any other actor or actress whicih numbers are well over the hundreds, so it's not crap – it's real. But I digress. Why would you say something so insensitive as 'blacks thinking blacks should get an award for being black' – are you serious?

March 8, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  36. Str8 Outta Tx

monique lost A LOT of weight huh?
    btw i think she did a great job of acting in precious, roscoe jenkins, and all the other movies. i didnt catch her acceptance speech, but yeah, i suppose she should have thanked more people who actually made the movie.

March 8, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  37. Kesha

Yes, you go girl! Rob, just congratulate!

March 8, 2010 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  38. Celeste

Monique showed no humility last night. I was disappointed. Bring back Halle Berry and Jennifer Hudson. She really needs to get rid of that chip that she is carrying around. Btw, I'm a black woman who is proud of who I am, so no one needs to try to interpret anything out of what I wrote.

March 8, 2010 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  39. trim

Whatever Rob. Spoken like someone who haven't walked in our shoes.

March 8, 2010 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  40. trim

I agree Joseph. What she said about the politics needed to be said. If African Americans never brought light and spoke up about the politics of how African Americans are being viewed and treated, we would still be coming in the back door. I just wish there were more films with leading African American women and women in general over the age of 30. Congrats Mo Nigue!

March 8, 2010 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  41. Rob

I'm getting really tired of hearing comments like "it's hard enough for black men and women to get an Oscar..." this is total crap. Cuba Gooding, Halle Berry, Whoopie Goldberg, Denzel Washington...... they win for great performances just like white people do. It's time some of you black people seriously stop acting like black actors and actresses can't get a break. It's like you think they should get an Oscar just for being black. Congrats to Mo'nique. She totally deserved that award. She's awesome. Would have loved to see Gaboray win for Precious. But honestly, I think Sandra deserved it more. That's all.

March 8, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  42. Joseph

Congrats to Mo'Nique. She's a standup comedian people, so there will always be an edge to her. Get over it, or stay in your bubble. She played an excellent role, and I'm glad she won out over politics. She was honest, and let's trash anyone for being honest. Let's live in the fantasy world where everything is just peachy, and there's harmony. Glad she won, glad she said what she did, and you go girl!

March 8, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  43. J. Chapman

Congratulations Monique to a job well done. I saw the movie "Precious" and baby you played that role. May you continue to be blessed by God's unfathomable love.

March 8, 2010 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  44. Kesha

Monique gave a wonderful speech! It was short and to the point. She thanked her 'Precious' family. Before she walked on stagged she hugged Gabby. I loved what she said. I also loved what Tyler Perry said! It's called telling the truth and keeping it real.

March 8, 2010 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  45. ssl

y is that cnn is removing our comments tho they were clean just because we r being honest and fair?

March 8, 2010 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  46. Derek

The show is already 3 hours long? How many people can you name? Her speech was PERFECT, short and sweet. She deserved the award it was a great performance.

March 8, 2010 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  47. mer

c baker – I agree entirely. That acceptance speech was a smackdown for the Academy and the other nominees – and also for past winners. I was seriously disappointed.

March 8, 2010 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  48. AtlantaPeach

I would like to see Mo'Nique let go of the slightly angry edge she seems to always carry around. There were plenty of actors and actresses, in general, who get overlooked all the time because of "politics". It was a long time before Director and Film Producer Martin Scorsese won an Oscar and he produces some great work. But get ready. Rumor has it that Russell Crowe and Beyonce' are preparing to recreate "A Star Is Born". Beyonce' wants an Oscar, real bad, but she's not a good actress by any means. This has POLITICS written all over it. Jennifer Hudson beat out Beyonce' for the Oscar for Dreamgirls. Whatcha think? She'll actually win it this time. Good 'ole Politics.

March 8, 2010 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  49. Karen

Stop Hate-n !!!! Did any of u actually see the movie? She was excellent in it as well as Gabby!!!!! its hare enough for BLack actresses as it is, Cant u just be glad she won????????

March 8, 2010 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  50. c baker

No Humility . . . I thought her comment about thanking the academy for voting "for the performance and not the politics," was a real slam against her co-nominees . . . in other words, "I was the only one with the great performance – any other choice would have been political." As a "new" actress, she would have been better off to show a little humility and less narcissism.

March 8, 2010 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  51. BOSCELTS10

@ Alex/Robb Bingo.. I agree with you both!!

March 8, 2010 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  52. BOSCELTS10

Congrats to Mo'Nique.. Regardless of color, size, gender, WE ALL KNOW a Precious either male/female. The Hatred of some comments never amuse me on here, but those are the ones to say I'm not a Racist!! Yeah, OK!!! LMBAO

March 8, 2010 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  53. Alex

Congratulations to Monique but she should have thanked the lead actress directly for contributing to the movie, especially since we all knew that Sandra Bullock would take best actress.

March 8, 2010 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  54. alex

So if u go 2 any blog, people are talking about the awards and how political it is. So when Monique puts it out there, she is trashed? People are so hypocritcal.

March 8, 2010 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  55. Get serious

I can't wait to see her portray Hattie... Hattie was a wonderful actress. It is so sad that when she won her Oscar she had to go thru the kitchen to get it. It took a very strong woman to know she was pretty much confined to "servant" roles, however with Hattie, you always felt that while she was working for white people, no one walked all over her.

March 8, 2010 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  56. Izzy

Mo'Nique blew it the second she made her bigoted remarks. Seems there always has to be one so called star that makes a stupid crack at any of the awards ceremonies. Oh, and her dress? She looked poured into it.

March 8, 2010 at 4:41 am | Report abuse |
  57. Lisa

Sorry I don't think she was that great in the movie. I think it's all hype...shoot if I was obese...I could have played that role...and I don't act but I have demons...like everyone else.

March 8, 2010 at 2:50 am | Report abuse |
  58. Lori

did she shave her legs???

March 8, 2010 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |
  59. diane

Good Point Robb.I would like to think that with such a short time to speak, she just couldn't get everything in.

I did think Oprah's presentation of Gabby was very well said and really the best of the presentations of the best actress nominees. I do hope we will see more of all those actresses in the film.

March 8, 2010 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
  60. Sid

Let's not forget she did thank her entire "Precious family", to me that was thanking her co-stars and everyone else that had helped make the movie possible. Congrats to Mo'Nique!

March 8, 2010 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  61. Robb

I was very disappointed that Mo'Nique didn't thank her co-stars at all– there were lots of strong female performances in that movie. The lead should have at least been thanked and praised for playing the role of Precious so very well. Thanking Hattie for her "help" is great– but there were three other great actresses in that film who helped her just as much.

March 8, 2010 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |