March 8th, 2010

Marie Osmond's son's funeral set for Monday

A funeral for the 18-year-old son of Marie Osmond is scheduled to be held at noon Monday near Provo, Utah, a publicist for the entertainer confirmed to CNN.

Michael Bryan died on February 28. His death was classified as a suicide by the Los Angeles Police Department.

The young man had formerly gone by the last name of his father - Blosil - but his legal name at the time of his death was Michael Bryan, said Alan Nierob, Osmond's publicist.

In a statement Nierob issued shortly after her son's death, Marie Osmond said, "My family and I are devastated and in deep shock by the tragic loss of our dear Michael and ask that everyone respect our privacy during this difficult time."

Marie Osmond and her brother Donny hosted the national television variety show "Donny & Marie" from 1976 to 1981. Afterward, she had acting and singing careers. She recently competed in a season of "Dancing With the Stars."

Marie Osmond currently hosts a regular show at the Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel & Casino. Her performances were canceled last week but are scheduled to resume Tuesday, according to the performer's Web site.

In 2001, she wrote "Behind the Smile," about her experience with postpartum depression. Osmond's Web site describes her as "the proud mother of eight beautiful children who are always her greatest treasures."

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. Beverly

Give Marie a break. When I lost a dear family member, after she was buried, I got in my car and drove for 4 days. For me it was running away from the pain and doing anything to get time between me and the tragedy until I could personally begin to deal with it. We all do what we have to do to get that separation of time until we can face the reality of the finality of the life on earth of some one we loved with all our hearts.

March 9, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  2. benton

willow:
    did you ever stop to think that maybe her getting back to work right away is her way of dealing with her grief.

March 8, 2010 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Willow is way off...

To the poster named Willow – don't judge until you have been in that situation. I lost beloved sister 2 years ago – not to suicide but an unexpected death. She was my best friend and I will forever be lost without her. STILL, life goes on for the living.

I have a choice. I can sit in my home, feel sorry for myself and "mourn" all day long OR I can be a mother, employee and an active soul on this earth as my sister would want me to be. She would be horrified if I just "mourned" and put my life on hold.

Just because I'm working doesn't mean that I don't mourn every day. A day doesn't go by that I don't think of her, and I rarely make it through a day without something bringing a tear to my eye. To the outside world, I am happy, productive and hard-working – even though I am often sad inside. My life will never be the same, and there will always be that huge emptiness, so sitting home for a month or however long to "mourn" would do no good.

Marie Osmond may be going back to work, but I can guarantee that her heart is breaking and will never truly be healed. Until you go through what she is going through, do not judge her. This may be what she needs to do to survive. We all handle situations differently.

My heart goes out to Marie and her family.

March 8, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  4. rachele

My sincere condolences to the friends and family of this young man. It's terribly sad. I've been there.

March 8, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  5. deb

y heart goes out to the Osmond family...the hardest thing to do is bury a child..God bless you Marie....as far as getting back to work...3 days is the most almost any employer will give for bereavement. Life goes on and sometimes you need to keep yourself busy...that doesn't mean you are not greaving. Hopefully every one will pray for the whole family....Marie i know your GOD is with you..

March 8, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Rblaz

It must really be hard to be a gay Mormon and forced to live a lie. Maybe the Mormon church will turn it's back on homophobia the way it did on racism.

March 8, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Sohan Pieris

I was working backstage @ Ceasars in Las Vegas when Frank Sinatra was told hi mothers plane was missing and most probably
    gone down. Amidst his visible grief – he said 'the show must go on'
    did the show – did not say word about the crash – did not do 'encores'
    but did a hasty exit and on to the airport.. Everyone grieves thier own
    way at differetn levels, I lost a brother – and people in showbiz have this unwritten loyalty (for lack of a better word) to the STAGE, that they so love. Marie has been on that stage since childhood. She is a trooper. I am sure she is hurting really ..realy bad inside and even tears between her sets – but can you imagine what it takes to go out there and beam her lovely smile to her adoring fans amidst the turmoil. It takes a strong WOMEN. My heart is with you Marie & Donnie. Keep singing and dancing – the pain will get less and
    eventually fade away. My prayears to make you heal faster and please continue to do what you love and do soooo well. We love you.
    Aloha nui loa – Sohan

March 8, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Brustle

To Get serious

"It is cowardly, selfcentered and only transfers your pain to the opnes left behind.....learn something from this horrible example and if you conconsidering suicide STOP!"

You are ignorant. YOU are the one who is self-centered, thinking and knowing ONLY of your own perspective. How do you know what all suicidal people are going through?

March 8, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  9. SPTX

willow:

Haven't you every heard the phrase, "Life is for the living"?

Sitting at home, crying and asking, "WHY!" a million times isn't going to bring her son back and will only prolong her anguish. She needs a release, and work is the best way to do that.

March 8, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Tracy

Judge not unless ye be judged...As a mother myself I cannot even imagine her grief now and the grief to come. She is trying to be strong, to raise her other children as her life has to go forward. She is no different than the rest of us working moms. May God give her strength, courage, and inner peace.

March 8, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Vicki

My heart hurts for Marie, the young man's dad, and his siblings. I am sorry for such a great tragedy. I am sorry for their loss.
    You know depression (clinical) is a mental mood disorder which is a true illness like diabetes or heart disease and is often misunderstood by others. (It is not just the blues.) This young man really hurt.
    Please do not judge Marie, her ex-husband, his siblings or even Marie's son. Just pray for them in their time of great pain and sorrow.

Remember that the media, as someone else has pointed out, has taken it upon themselves to sensationalize to do what they can to make money off of this story.

Take this opportunity to educate yourselves on clinical depression, suicide, and mental illnesses. I think tragedy brings this issue to light so that others might learn, understand, and empathize rather than judge.

Again I am so sorry to hear about this tradegy and my thoughts and prayers are with the family.

March 8, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Barb

Get Serious, if you do not understand the depths of mental illness, you would not understand when someone commits suicide, it is not cowardly or selfish. When someone gets to this point, he or she is desperate and cannot stand the pain anymore.

I am a psychiatric nurse and until a greater number of people understand mental illness is not something people "choose" to have, it is a biological illness as is hypertension, diabetes, or any other serious illness, there will continue to be misunderstanding from the misinformed. Mental illness can be as fatal as a stroke when left untreated, when patients do not take their medications, etc.

I am deeply saddened by the struggles this young man faced and that he felt he could not go on. As well as I am saddened by the struggles his family will now face in dealing with the horrific circumstances of his death.

March 8, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  13. KENNETH J MCGREGOR

very sad, rest in peace, god bless. kjm

March 8, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Sallyl

When my brother committed suicide on his 30th birthday, the medical examiner explained to me that when a person reaches that point, they have already crossed into a different reality. That is why they are able to complete the suicide. Unlike people that attempt to commit suicide, who are still capable of recieving help. Also, there is nothing anyone can do if they enter that other reality. Suicide is not a solution, but a choice made in their distorted reality. We all grieve in different ways, Marie may find that she went back to work to soon, but she is doing what she needs to do as of this moment in time. Please do not pass judgement so quickly, unless you are a suicide survivor you can not say what you would do, It has been 19 years and i am still affected everyday. Your life changes forever. Her son did what he did, because it was the only solution in his distorted reality.

March 8, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Linda Smith

I am amazed at the stupidity displayed here. This young man had an illness. His perspective was blown do to ILLNESS. So, enough talk about him being selfish. His judgement was impaired. As for his mother going back to work, each person grieves in their own way. She also had commitments to honor. Pouring herself into her work in not an uncommon thing to do. Would you rather seen her on the front of some tabloid blubbering in a lawn chair dressed in black?

March 8, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Glenna Hartwell

In dealing with my loss I came to know that 90% of all people who take their own lives have a diagnosable mental illness.

For people who suffer from this level of depression or other mental illness, the pain is so great as to be nearly incomprehensible to the rest of us.

My son knew how his loved ones would suffer, and he tried his best to endure, but the pain of living another day was too severe.

March 8, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  17. nukeworker

I pray none of you ever have to walk to that edge and look down, you must understand this is a chemical imbalance in the BRAIN rationality in not in the picture, these are not people that want attention they just don't have it in them to live another day.

March 8, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Angel

Wow Willow (and everyone else bashing Marie)... you are clueless. In most work places you have Bereavement Leave, normally 3 days to deal with the shock, funeral arrangements, and the funeral itself. Then it is back to work. I am sure Marie has legal contracts she has to abide by. She took a week off... a luxury most of us do not get to grieve. Life goes on. For all of us. Just because someone goes back to work (or anything else they do as part of life going on) does NOT mean they are no longer grieving. You are not in Maries head, or in Maries life. You have no idea what she is thinking or feeling. People need to stop and THINK before they start typing stupidity.

March 8, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  19. lauralee

I am certain that this young man was not able, in his current state of mind, to consider the effects of his actions on his family or friend. I seriously doubt that his intent was to punish or chastise anyone. He was dealing with his own demons, as we all do, and I believe his only goal was to ease the pain or fear that was tormenting him at the time.
    There is certainly no reason to believe that being raised in a wealthy and hardworking family was the reason for his actions, or that there was ever neglect or animosity in his family that could have triggered this.

The greatest fear of every mother is to outlive her child. Perhaps she (and all of us) will never understand what has happened. My heart aches for the hurt that Marie must feel, and also for her other children and family; but the God she believes in has wisely provided the tools she will need to go forward: 7 other beautiful children, a large and loving family, a rewarding career to wrap around her, and the knowledge that He is neither capricious not cruel. The sufferings of her son will be handled by Him with kindness and justice. What ever the reason for this, He has already given His grace to sustain this family.

March 8, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Sheri

Such a terrible loss to a family when someone takes their life. The family and friends left behind suffer and never forget the hurtful news.

My heart is saddened for the Osmond's. It's a shame that people can always find something to criticize a person for. If they grieve too long – then that is a problem (mental). If they go back to work too fast – then that is a problem because they didn't grieve long enough.

People grieve differently. Please just say some prayers for the family. That's what they need right now. God Bless you Marie and family.

March 8, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Guiliana Italiana

Dearest Contrary Mary

Even if you raise your kids right doesn't mean they don't harbor demons. God help you if you ever have eat your own words and God forbid this happens to you. With all the hate and resentment you showed line for line, I hope you aren't passing the same disdain to your children. Our friends have the most beautiful loving children, 3 of them. One day he said he was sick and went home from school and with parents permission he drove himself home. No one knew what he had in store. His mother found him hanging, the most popular kid, good grades, sports everything to live for and family as close as we wish we all could have. You never ever know Mary. This could be your story.

March 8, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Debbie

I cannot believe how judgemental some of you are being. I have met Marie Osmond and I found her to be rude and arrogant. But her children should be off limits. Only that young boy can understand why he did what he did and to speculate allows you to play God who is the only one who really knows what was in that childs heart. You can sit around all day with your "she should haves and if it were me's " acting as though you have the answer as to why this tradegy happened. How arrogant are you? This family needs your compassion and prayers and Marie needs it the most. I will never forget how rude she was to me, but being a mother and someone who believes that only The Father can understand and work through this with those who loved this child, back off and give her a break. Don't judge her for going back to work, don't assume you know what tools she has in place to help her other children deal with their loss and above all don't do God's job for him. He is the only judge we have and He is the only one who can read the hearts of man and understand why things happen as they do. My advise to many of you, after reading your comments, is to look at your own lives. Those who point fingers and voice judgements are usually the ones who need to take a long hard look at themselves in the mirror. And several would benefit from additional schooling as your grammer and spelling abilities are lacking. God be with you Marie and give comfort to you and your family.

March 8, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  23. bandgeek1

I can only imagine the pain Michael must have been in to jump to his death. Marie's face was on the obits because hers is the face we know.

Mary Contrary you are an angry, angry person. Not everyone has the luxury of being a stay at home parent. Quite trying to impose your standards on others.

March 8, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Guiliana Italiana

Please don't judge. She didn't just go back to work for herself. There are legions of people who rely on her for a paycheck, to me it was pretty selfless to go back to work. I know at my company, I would only get 3 days – we are no different, are we? I am quite sure that unless you have too buried your son or daughter, you have no room for judgement. Please don't cast stones.

March 8, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Ticked

Some of you people are so heartless!!! Did it ever occur to you that as for the "obituaries" that have been appearing in the news with Marie's pictures and stories that go on and on about her instead of Michael are NOT something that she or the family have "issued" for publication? Have you folks forgotten the fact that neither Marie nor her family are the ones writing and spewing this stuff from radio, TV and online?? It's the sorry state of our current media. They'll hype ANYTHING for ratings and a lot of you suckers are stupid enough to read/listen to it all and then complain about the family doing this or doing that when it's not the family AT ALL! DUH!

March 8, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Dawn

WOW Willow – who are you to judge how she and her family grieve? Let them handle it their own way. Everyone is different and has different needs and different ways of doing things. She has suffered enough without people like you pouring salt in the wound.

March 8, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Barbara

Everyone grieves differently. Just because Marie doesn't just sit around and be depressed like some of you would like. So what if she went back to singing the day after her son died. This is her way of grieving, so all of you who would like to see Marie self destruct by sitting around and not doing anything positive need to back off now!!!!!!!! It is not up to you to tell someone how to grieve. If you think she is selfish, the people who think that need to take a step back and look at themselves in the mirroe before passing judgment onto someone else!!!!!!!

March 8, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Cyn

I agree with Elana- I too am VERY GLAD to not be a celebrity- I am far too flawed and could never stand all the judgement and hateful remarks! Back-off with the negative words! Give her a break! She still has a family to feed and take care of!
    And we wonder why 'world peace' is so impossible to obtain...

March 8, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Lola

I get three days of Bereavement pay if family member dies....don't judge hard working Marie for going back to work after the funeral. She has a work ethic. Most of us have to go on and don't have the luxury of taking months off.

March 8, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Karen

Get serious, suicide is not selfish or a "flip-off" to family members. When someone committs suicide, they are so severely depressed, I would say they enter into psychosis, they have no understanding of what they are doing and think maybe they are doing their loved ones behaviors. It's not selfish, it's mental illness. I don't agree with Marie going back to work but she may be contractually obligated to do so, I find it strange she didn't go to even LA to view her son's body either. Her daughter is a lesbian so whether that's the issue of him being gay or not I am not certain

March 8, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Deb

My heart just hurts for Marie, her ex Brian and the rest of the Osmonds. Celebrity or not, NO ONE has the right to judge her. As for being adopted, that does not mean that she loves Michael, Jessica, Brandon, Brianna and Abigail any less!

I agree that going back to work tomorrow may seem soon, but we all grieve differently. Where I work, I am lucky, we get 5 whole working days from the date our child, spouse or parent dies before we have to go back to work. After that, you can either take time off without pay or quit!

As for Marie, she has obligations to the fans as well as contractual. Many people have purchased tickets to the show and then planned their trip around that. That is what I did in October of last year. She will still have hours each day to think about Michael as well as the rest of her children. They are with her in Vegas, where she does the everyday Mom stuff. She makes breakfast, lunch and supper for her family. She carpools and looks after sick children.

March 8, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Alicia

Yikes. I can't believe she is going to be singing and parading around on stage the day after her son is buried. Performers take time off for much less than this and I'm sure she could if she actually wanted to. This is disgusting parenting.

March 8, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Marie

I love Marie and all the Osmond but I can't believe she would be able to Sing and Dance on a stage the day after burying her son. It just doens't make since.

March 8, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  34. sharon

I don't think it is fair to judge Ms. Osmond's actions. People cope with death in all sorts of ways; maybe her way of coping is to get back to work as soon as she can. None of us know how we would respond in such a circumstance until (God forbid) it should happen to any of us. The death of one's child is a really impossible event to envision or to have to experience.
    My prayers are with her.

March 8, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Pandora

Did you notice the hype was all about Marie? Photos of her. Every news article was more about her life than Michael's life. Children of narcissistic mothers do all kinds of things to try to get some attention and love. Narcissists can't love. Post-partum depression. Yeah, I bet. Having children took her out of the limelight and I'm sure that was depressing for her. Sad, we never got to see a photo of Michael, but we all know what Marie is doing this week.

March 8, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  36. mspaap2u

My heart goes out to Marie because I know how it feels to lose a child.

My JESUS extend his love as GOD wraps the whole family in his arms.

March 8, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Mary Contrary

Excuse me but every reporting of Michael's death seems to be more about his career-first Mother! They briefly mention Michael but then we hear all over again how great his Mother is and where she is performing in Las Vegas, blah! blah! It would have been more appropriate for us to hear about Michael, what he was like as a child, some pranks or what not he used to do. But NO! It was more important for Marie Osmond to have her mug on each and every obituary report. Made me throw-up on my computer!

I'm from the old school and perhaps if she had made Michael career-first, he would still be here. And she's not the only one...Angline Jolie – a Mother, I don't think so. Being a Mother is a 24-7 job. These people are into themselves and not their children. Do I feel sorry for the Osmonds – No! Frankly, I am sick of seeing and hearing about them. Go home people and raise the rest of your kids before they decide to jump out a window!

March 8, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Debra

Speaking as a Mormon...the church believes that a person will be judged for his or her own actions....like several other religions, we consider suicide wrong but it is not a one way ticket to hades....

As to Jonathan, I am sorry that Get Serious remarks upset you but it is the truth...if you ready carefully you will see that he/she was contemplating suicide....unless you have been there and got help you will never know ...I know because I have been there 3 different times...

What would you all have Marie do? Sit in a dark room and wring her hands? By all accounts she was a good mother. It was Michael's choice to end his life...she is no different than us...if I have a death I get three days of breavement.....

March 8, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  39. nina

I wonder if what Rosanne Barr is saying on her blog – that the suicide was because of the intolerance of the Mormon Church towards gay people.

March 8, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Glenna Hartwell

I lost my 23-year-old son to suicide, seven years ago.

I returned to work too soon–2 weeks after my loss. I basically screamed hysterically in the car during my commute to and from work. It was so difficult that I ended up taking a 2 month disability leave. I could have used 2 years.

People grieve in different ways, but one thing I know is that the things people say to you in the first year can cause a lot of pain. I was lucky that my son's death was not publicized, as it would have added to the trauma.

Although the pain of this loss persists, I hope the family will come to accept the loss, as I have done through much help and support.

March 8, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Seriously Willow

There goes Willow, sitting on her rotund behind typing out hateful comments while eating bon-bons and collecting welfare.

Willow – how does it feel to have assumptions placed on you? You have NO IDEA what Marie is going through. How dare you make such assumptions!

March 8, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  42. mary

I believe Michael was one of Marie's adopted children, does the biological parents ever in his life. What is the position of the Church of Mormans on suicide?

March 8, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  43. osmond fan

The show must go on.

March 8, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Roger Conley

Please allow this family the sorrow and solace of this moment.
    You cannot judge, just offer your opinion and without fact.
    If you were in this situation what would you want to hear?
    Her contracts call for her appearance, this son will be judged by one far greater than us. We pray for this family and share their loss.
    Their faith is great and healing, let them have time to remember to reflect and resolve.
    May Heavenly Father guide you in all your needs and wants and may your heart be filled with wisdom and righteousness.

March 8, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Gabriella

WOW...how judgmental! I mean, if Marie Osmond worked @ WalMart and she was going to lose her job if she didn't return, we would be more sympathetic. Remember, she is a contracted employee and has signed and legally agreed to do a certain number of shows in Las Vegas....she has bosses that want her back @ work. She has tickets that are sold. If you were vacationing in Vegas and had purchased a ticket to see her, you would probably be disappointed that her show had been cancelled. Many of us deal with death by staying busy....we've all seen a grieving mother or widow, who is busy baking and planning, when there are plenty of other people to do that... somehow it makes time pass for that person. Marie is no different than us just b/c she is a celebrity....allow her to grieve and deal in her own way. God forbid that any of us has to deal with such a tragedy...and if it does befall any of us, God give us a way to deal with it. Lastly, how is that NFL stars are hailed when they play in the Super Bowl just one day after the loss of their child or parent...it is played up, like they are playing in honor of that person....every one has to go through this process in their own time.

March 8, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  46. elana

I'm so glad I'm not a celebrity.

March 8, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  47. tg

Everyone has an opinion!

Getting back to work is the best thing for Marie to do. If you do not agree, that is your problem. Do do not judge one for needing to get on with life. Having lost a family member recently, the best thing for me to do was to get back to work. Only caring people would understand.

March 8, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Janet

My heart, too, goes out to the family.....and for all of you that want to know how she can go back to work right away...maybe she needs to keep busy to not dwell on the negatives......

March 8, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Laura II

Don't think for a second that Marie isn't hurting while she's on stage. There is a hole in her heart that will never be repaired. It doesn't matter how close a parent or friend may be to thier child, depression and desperation can overcome anyone. Celebrity or not, Marie deserves compassion and support. Not condemnation.

March 8, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  50. caregiver

Please DON'T be so hard on Marie Osmond. Only she knows what and how she feels. Work may be cathartic for her. It was for my sister, who lost her daughter to suicide 6 years ago.

March 8, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Michael

I don't think anyone should judge Marie. After all, she IS hot.

March 8, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Andrew McLaws

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Marie and all the family. Those who have not lost a depressed child to suicide will never know the anguish.

March 8, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  53. compassion

My heart goes out to the Osmond family. Only one who has actually committed suicide would know the horrific pain that throws one beyond the ability to envision a way to get through it. The rest of us can only imagine.

May God bless you during this sad time.

March 8, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Gloria

No greater loss than that of a child. My hope is that they can find a way to heal and move on. It's not easy. My Mom never got over it.
    God Bless. You are quite blessed to have such a great close knit family which is so much support.
    For each member though, it's an individual journey........
    May God give you great strength and comfort.

g

March 8, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  55. kathy

Geez Willow, Go easy on Marie. You're only looking at the situation from one angle-yours. Sounds like you have unresolved anger issues. Get some help.

March 8, 2010 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Tam

Unless you've lived this type of nightmare, you have no idea what a suicide does to a family. Marie is not one of my favorite people, but I'm sure she loved her children and would never have wanted this to happen.
    For the people slamming her for returning to work, you need to stop. She has obligations that MUST be met. Do you really think that the people she works for care that she lost a child? Their goal is to make money and that's it. She is the breadwinner for her family and maybe this is also a coping tool for her. You can't judge someone unless you've been there, and even then it's not your business to decide if someone if grieving in the "right way".
    Be a human and leave it alone.

March 8, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  57. Joel T.

Hey Willow,

Back off. Maybe, just maybe getting back to work IS Marie's way of grieving.

Besides, she has to be strong for her other children.
    His life may be over, but for Marie and her kids – life goes on.
    They have to pick up the pieces and move on. As harsh as that may sound...

She may think that the quicker she does so the less pain she may feel. In that case I hope it is true.

From a guy who lost his best friend (as a teen) to suicide – God bless you Marie and your kids.

March 8, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  58. Jonathan

Saying suicide is selfish doesn't help her or her son...who is now dead. Blaming yourself or actual victims is (self)agression and punitive...and does do anything to help the causes that lead to suicide...mental illness, isolation and lack of funding for treatment services. When someone is that close or commits suicide, it is a painful loss for loved ones and the community. I have experience with a family member and my heart goes out to anyone who has to endure the pain of a loved one's shocking departure from this life.

March 8, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  59. beata

I am also disgusted on hearing of Marie's heading back to 'singing and dancing' one week after her son dies. Yes, everyone grieves differently, but given all the heartaches she's had in her life, two divorces, other family deaths, depression, maybe she should stop and realize that 'her god' as she puts it, is trying to send a message. Get your priorities straight in life – it's not about money and being a media whore.
    God Bless Michael!

March 8, 2010 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  60. proudffwife

Responding to willow: Believe it or not, a lot of people (not just entertainers) return to work shortly after burying loved ones ... it's called bereavement leave, and in the corporate world (at least in my company), an employee is entitled to 3 days following the death of a 'qualifying' family member.

March 8, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  61. Laura

She will bury her son and then sing on a Las Vegas stage 24 hours later? Who among us would be able to do that? How is that even possible???

If this is the kind of person Marie Osmond is, its no wonder her son didn't want to live anymore.

March 8, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  62. Jonathan

Saying suicide is selfish doesn't help her or her son. It is like the death penalty. It is agressive and punitive...but does not treat the societal causes of mental illness, isolation and lack of treatment services. When someone is that close or commits suicide, it is a painful loss for loved ones and the community. I have experience with a family member and my heart goes out to anyone who has to endure the pain of a loved one's shocking departure from this life.

March 8, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  63. Eddy Mounir

I am very sorry for your loss,
    you where busy away from your son's problems trying to make a future for him to make more money,but he didn't appreciate that like he is saying money does not make any happiness!!!!!!??????
    again I am really sorry we love you,and be strong and overcome this tragic accident.

March 8, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  64. Edwardo Williams

We are in this lifetime for a very short period and the preciouse part we call life is ours to share and make the best of. We are all eqal no matter how good or how bad our lives may seem, we are here! Look around and see what you have, not the material not the facade but the sorrounding breathing world called life, its free and its yours to share with the rest of living world,hold on to it and enjoy.

March 8, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  65. lori

Having loss a friend to suicide I just feel so sorry and sad for everyone who knew and loved him. He was not trying to hurt anyone he was trying to stop the madness that lived inside of him. He was trapped inside of himself and could not break away or he would have got help and lived. To his parents and brothers, sister, aunts uncles friends you are not to blame. Keeping yourself healthy and close now should be your focus. God bless and give you peace and a quite heart.

March 8, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  66. Cindy Roberson

Our hearts and prayers are with the family at this time. Marie, a specail prayer for you. Remember God is always with you.

March 8, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  67. willow

WOW!!! Mother Marie doesn't miss a heartbeat....announcing her return to work before her son is even buried...returning to the stage the day after he is put in the ground!!!!

What happend to grieving the loss of this young man? What happens to the other siblings who are also suffering this loss? What happened to showing respect to the deceased?

Disgusting! Maybe these are reflective of some underlying disrespect that may have contributed to this young mans problems.....

March 8, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  68. michele

My heart goes out to the osmond family. Depression is so hard to fight there is not a night that does not go by that I don't pray that god does not take me in my sleep. I can't imagine how he was feeling when he took his life. Please be brave and try to understand the illness this poor boy had and how it over came him. So many people think that you can take a pill and it will be over and it does not work that way. I pray you all will come together as you always have done in the past and be the loving family that you are and remember the good times with your son and try and not think of the hurt he felt. With the depression there are highs and low's so there was good times in his life and you were a part of that.

March 8, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  69. Get serious

It is so sad to hear of someone so young taking their own life. it does not matter if the person is a celbrity or child of a celebrity. Suicide is one of the most selfish things a person can do. Please, if you love your family and friends, do NOT do this to them. It is like flipping them off. It is cowardly, selfcentered and only transfers your pain to the opnes left behind.....learn something from this horrible example and if you conconsidering suicide STOP! Talk to someone....

Been there...almost done that...chose to honor my family and friends instead of hurt them....life got better...PROMISE it will! Get help.

March 8, 2010 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |