March 8th, 2010

Jeff Bridges has high hopes for his Oscar win

Best actor Oscar winner Jeff Bridges has a few things in common with his hard-drinking, country star character Bad Blake in “Crazy Heart.”

“The music - that's where I most identified with Bad,” Bridges said, adding that he’s “been writing and playing since a kid.”

But unlike Bad, Bridges has never had four wives – just one strong marriage to a great wife, whom he thanked during his Oscar acceptance speech.

Balancing a family with a film career has been difficult, he said.

“[My wife] pointed out that we've been apart 11 of the past 14 months. I was way out there, and my girls and my wife are the centers of my life. My wife [is] my support.”

The Academy Awards did things a little differently this year by nominating 10 movies for Best Picture instead of the usual five. Even though “Crazy Heart” didn’t make the cut, Bridges thought putting so many movies in the Oscar spotlight could only be a positive thing.

“In a way that's one aspect of what awards are about,” he said, “to bring attention to these great movies that are made.”

Bridges hopes that his Oscar win will not only bring attention to "Crazy Heart," but will also carry enough power to enable him to “bring peace and prosperity” to the world.

“I’m hoping that this will raise my profile,” he said. “I’m all about getting [the] world together and making the world healthy. I think movies are great examples for the way the world can work.”

Filed under: movies • Oscars 2010

Next entry »
  1. Sean

He did not say she was at home handcuffed to a radiator. If it is not broken don't fix it Jan

March 8, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Cal

"Congratulations", Jeff!
    You so earned this!
    Great job Academy for the right votes!

March 8, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  3. beast

Dude!!! Man!!...Just Play music Jeff...Go on tour with the T-Bone for a year and play your own music and have a great time...If you need a Harmonica Player just give me a shout!

All The Beast,

Curt Campbell http://www.eclecticbeastband.com link music

March 8, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  4. RichieC

Not your typical hollywood actor. Very down to earth and family oriented. Another great movie he was in was "The Contender ". Especially when he aces shelly, the senator in the film. Continued good luck to him. He is a Man's Man.

March 8, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bob9966

I know Jeff must have smoked a fat one last night and The Dude deserved it. A great actor finally got his due.....

March 8, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. glynn

this award will "hopefully bring peace and prosperity to our world" ??
    Hey Jeff I love you "dude" but thats the buzz talking and quite frankly I find that comment in very poor taste. CONGRATS !!

March 8, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Susieq

Jeff Bridges is an actor's actor. When I look at Jeff, I'm reminded of what a great, wonderful dad he had, and obviously he loves him and his mom still, very much. So well deserved, Jeff, BRAVO! Hugs...Susie

From 'Sea Hunt' into infinity!

March 8, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  8. prochut

I haven't seen Crazy Heart, but I think anyone who "gets" the Big Lebowski definately believes he deserves this award.

March 8, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  9. KY

He was fantasic in the thriller "Jagged Edge" and several other films. Glad he has finally rec'd an Oscar.

March 8, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  10. phyllis

I am happy for Jeff Bridges, he is a very good actor, and music man also. I use to watch his dad in Sea Hunt, long ago.

So happy happy day to you Jeff Bridges. love you as the dude...

March 8, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. John G

He absolutely deserved this, and I also give great credit for keeping the film believable and entertaining. It will be tough for him to not get stereotyped. I just hope they can keep making these kinds of films (at a reasonable budget) that can compete with any from the "Golden Days" of Hollywood.

March 8, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  12. Southern

His dad, Lloyd, would have been as proud of him as Jeff is of Lloyd.
    It's really something to win a best actor Award fora film that, while good, was not a nominee for Best Picture.
    And, as hinted, his body of work didn't hurt............

March 8, 2010 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  13. Mick

The Dude abides!

March 8, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  14. trim

I haven't seen the movie yet however I have always had a soft spot for Jeff and to find out he's such a class act just makes feel even that much better about him winning. He always seemed like such a down to earth good hearted person and I'm glad to know that he is one of the few actors who can stay grounded enough to stay with one women. I thought that he was superb in Thunderbolt and Lightfoot and should have gotten many accolades for his performance. Great job Jeff and hope to see you in many more pictures.

March 8, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  15. totally neutral

I am disappointed he didn't end his speech with "Let's go bowling"

March 8, 2010 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  16. Jan

This was a great movie...I'm really glad Jeff won!

March 8, 2010 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  17. Anne McNeff

what a performance, when I saw this movie, I predicted that he would win...that was a few months ago. He was so convincing in that roll of Bad Blake, I could smell the alcohol from the screen !!!

March 8, 2010 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  18. Diane Beckerman

Wow..I went to se Crazy Heart day before the show so I could get in at least one nominated film. Jeff richly deserved this award ...I believed him as Bad Blake and was moved by the storyline. Go, Jeff..Its about time!

March 8, 2010 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  19. Nancy

Enjoyed the show. Everyone looked good, everyone behaved, everyone came off as sincere, gracious and truly honored. Best of all, I think they all relaxed and enjoyed themselves.

March 8, 2010 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
  20. Get serious

About time someone gave Jeff an award.

March 8, 2010 at 7:08 am | Report abuse |
  21. Izzy

I am glad he won. He is a good actor.

March 8, 2010 at 5:11 am | Report abuse |
  22. Jan

What a fun, awesome, class act guy. Thank goodness he FINALLY won an Oscar, this is one actor who actually deserved it. Any movie he's ever been in, he puts in his all. How lucky is his wife, but amazing they hold it together if at times he's away for 11 months, now that's not good. Uh, take your wife with you Jeff, others do, the kids are grown, what's the excuse about all that time apart? THAT could cause trouble, that's how it starts. Take her with you.

March 8, 2010 at 4:23 am | Report abuse |
  23. marcus420

I would like to know is there a best supporting actor catagory. I think this year, for me that is was a very notable Oscar Award ceremony for everyone.

March 8, 2010 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |