March 7th, 2010

Without Christoph Waltz, 'Inglourious Basterds' wouldn't have been made

Best supporting actor nominee Christoph Waltz was the man for whom "Inglourious Basterds" director Quentin Tarantino had been waiting. Until Waltz "waltzed" in (Tarantino's joke, not ours), "Inglourious Basterds" was in danger of being canned.

"It wasn’t worth doing if what I wrote on the page couldn't be captured on the cinema," Tarantino said. Waltz, who isn't placing any bets on who's winning what tonight, said he blushes every time he hears that.

For him, "this is a fresh start. I’ve had a long career, and that career didn’t always go up, but it didn’t always go down either. There was nothing that really pulled me out of this somewhat mediocre puttering about. ['Inglourious Basterds'] definitely did."

Waltz is one of the favorites in the best supporting actor category, and Tarantino also may take home an Oscar tonight for best director. The filmmaker is certainly a Hollywood giant, but thus far, he says his secret to success is pretty simple.

"I just put one foot in front of the other," Tarantino said. "And so far, I haven’t tripped yet."

Filed under: movies • Oscars 2010

1. Howard954

Brilliant Movie, I am glad Christoph won it, he was incredible, I remember leaving the movie and telling my friend that he made the film. I am not a huge Brad Pitt fan but thought this was one of his best acting roles next to fight club.

March 8, 2010 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  2. ragingbear

I can honestly say, this is not what I consider "typical" Tarantino fair, but it was a great movie, have watched it MANY times already and see something new in the movie everytime I watch it. Kudos to all.....

March 8, 2010 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
  3. Natalie

Christoph deserved to win... he was amazing in Basterds!

I am thrilled Cameron didnt win for Director or Avatar for best picture... I dont see the hype with that movie & I wouldnt pay to see it.

I was disappointed Tarantino didnt win for Director or Screenplay he shouldve... the movie was great & his work just gets better!

March 8, 2010 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
  4. John

Waltz was hilarious, and I thought this film was great. So over the top and amazing.

March 8, 2010 at 5:55 am | Report abuse |
  5. John Zee

Homeboy has been sniffing glue, or some other substance that has eaten his brain. Perhaps the only slightly redeeming quality of Inglorious Basterds was Waltz performance. And while it is true that he had a role that was practically made for him, much like Jamie Foxx (Scholarship for classical piano) was a shoe in for playing Ray Charles, he still deserved the Oscar.

But Inglorious Basterds was not a great movie. The fact that it got nominated for so many Oscars is just s sign of the power of a recognizable name to the Academy of voters. This was an incredibly bad movie. Bad writing, pedestrian dialogue, and such humongous holes in the plot that Howard Hughes could have flown his "Spruce Goose" through.

Quentin did a lot of very pathetic pandering. He pandered to the French, since he figured that he owes some of his amazing success to the receptions he has been able to get at the French Cannes film festival early in his career. He pandered to the Jewish community, because Quentin actually believes all those stereotypes about them still running Hollywood. And he pandered to the slobbering and idiotic masses and put out an Shwarznegger and Stallone grade level action movie because obviously true critical masterpieces are beyond him now that he's too good for some important critical script-doctoring from Roger Avary.

And this was supposed to be his magnus opus that he worked on for ten years? That's just pathetic and he either needs to retire or take a long break from film making. There is very little doubt that Quentin Tarantino is an expert at stealing cool scenes from eclectic movies that no one else has ever seen before, but his last few attempts have made it obvious that he'd be better off just flashing one individual stolen scene after another in continuous succession. Then he would be relying solely on the directing and originality of other directors and not his obviously waning skills as a film maker.

Yes Inglorious Basterds should have won Best Original Screenplay, in the mirror universe where everything is opposite and Charles Nelson Reilly has a mantle full of the things....

March 8, 2010 at 5:32 am | Report abuse |
  6. homeboy

this was a terrific move and should have won for Best Original Screenplay. Waltz was outstanding.

March 8, 2010 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  7. Steve

Christoph Waltz deserved the Oscar, the rest stunk. I can't believe anyone liked this psychotic mess.

March 8, 2010 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |
  8. Colin

Movied sucked, but Waltz was incredible. Deserved to win.

March 7, 2010 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. fran

it was a cool movie

March 7, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. me

brooklyns finest has alot of hype around it, i think taratino should do a movie about a group of cops that are sick and twisted, i choose the gun, live by the gun die by the gun, but would pac be dead if he had a gun? good luck pryin mine from my fingers.

March 7, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. crunked

long live the man, "we see samuel L jackson and like wusss up mother ........"

March 7, 2010 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Wow

Screw sandra bullok, shes taken, I love aniston. I hope that women from precious wins, i saw bits and peices and she was awesome.

March 7, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  13. SS

3 blocks from 50 neighborhood. the best was written with a bet and a s, so stick to gamblin, and i bet on Avatar for best film

March 7, 2010 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. The Kid

Inglorious Bastards was a good movie too...where am I?

March 7, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  15. The Kid is not to be tested

So umm, Jennifer Aniston should win. and mike tyson should also win an award for best actor playing himself, that should be a new comment.

March 7, 2010 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |