March 7th, 2010

Sandra Bullock was 'ready' for 'Blind Side' role

If Sandra Bullock wins for best actress, she'll have to wing the speech.

"I prepared what I had to do when I present the best cinematography," Bullock said, but nothing more.

While she's clearly the favorite to win the award, Bullock isn't letting it go to her head. "There’s always a favorite, and it’s never worked out that way," she said.

Bullock attributes her success with her "Blind Side" role to "opportunity and timing," she said. "I was ready. Preparing for this was an uphill battle, but I was given time to prepare." In typical Bullock fashion, she joked, "Can you imagine if it had been horrible?"

If it were, perhaps it would've earned her another Razzie. Bullock took home the prize for worst actress for her performance in "All About Steve."

"I took home that award, that award is mine," Bullock said. "But I’ll give it back next year when they say, 'Oh we made it a mistake,' and I have a feeling they will."

Bullock is going up against Meryl Streep for the Oscar, who is also nominated for best actress for her portrayal of Julia Child in "Julie & Julia." But like best supporting actress nominees Mo'Nique and Anna Kendrick said earlier on the red carpet, there's no sense of competition between the women.

"People like to pit people up against each other," Bullock said, "But I love that [Streep]. She’s extraordinary."

Filed under: movies • Oscars 2010 • Sandra Bullock

1. Izzy says wha?

WTH Izzy....who said anything about the Socialist party? Huh????

March 10, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  2. stuffie

Ok, normally I don't participate in online comments, but I have to say this: LEAVE SANDRA BULLOCK ALONE!!!! She is absolutely wonderful and is a great actress. Come on you guys do remember " A time to kill", Speed? She's funny, gorgeous and very talented and deserved that Oscar. Sandra be proud girl!!! Always in her corner!!!

March 10, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Donna Lucille

I think the award was well deserved. Sandra has always been a personal favorite of mine, and as an actress I have been entertained by her performances. She is talented and beautiful, and has great comedic timing.

March 9, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Babs

My hats off to Sandra ( I was rooting for you all the way) and to the real woman the story is about. And we need more feel good movies and real caring in the world

March 8, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Nelly

Sandra, Congratulations, i loved the Blind Side . your performance was outstanding. stop hating people. it was well deserve.

March 8, 2010 at 6:04 am | Report abuse |
  6. John

Meh. I thought the movie was great as a family film and a feel-good experience, but not necessarily worthy of awards. Bullock was good, but not exceptional.

March 8, 2010 at 4:57 am | Report abuse |
  7. Izzy

Sandra Bullock is one of the most real people in Hollywood. Her gown was stunning. She was stunning. Many simply don't like her because she isn't one of the pandering, political hacks for the socialist party. She marches to her own drummer. Brains and beauty. AND talent.

March 8, 2010 at 4:51 am | Report abuse |
  8. Francisco Goa

I have seen Sandra seen acting earlier but in this movie she has acted very good beyond my imagination. Keep it up.

March 8, 2010 at 2:56 am | Report abuse |
  9. J

This is really sick. Sandra Bullock over the other candidates.
    Ouch! Painfull. Really Painful.........

March 8, 2010 at 1:53 am | Report abuse |
  10. Marcos Garcia

Well deserved prize for Sandra... She did a wonderful job and I mean it... The movie was great and all actors in it.

March 8, 2010 at 1:44 am | Report abuse |
  11. Fat

Other than her skinny self, I think she deserved to win the Oscar.
    She was very generous in her tribute to the other nominees.

March 8, 2010 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
  12. Sandra Wu from Taiwan

No matter what they said, I like you, Sandra, I like you because who you are.

March 8, 2010 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
  13. Miriam

Well deserved Sandra, I am so happy for you. you are amazing. I have no doubt in my mind that this is what you are in real life.

March 8, 2010 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
  14. Paul

Best Actress? Really....? She is an actress, she has been in movies, that was her best role to date... but the Oscar? Really? I'm floored. That catagory had so many talented women playing with so much more emotion and range. Very disappointing. The academy should be ashamed for awarding the most shallow, emotionally cheesey performance in that field of drama.

March 8, 2010 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
  15. tt

I simply don't get it...she totally sux! She's a terrible actor and so BORING! There is NOTHING glam about her at all!!! She looks like she should be on a farm raising pigs.

March 7, 2010 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dbird

How can any of you negative people say Sandra is not a good actress, WOW. You have a right to your, in my estimation, foolish opinions, but verbalizing them shows no class, or intelligence. Say something positive or say nothing at all. Didn't your parents teach you anything? She's doing the very best she can, and that is all any of us can do. Bashing her makes you feel good? – SAD, SICK, RUDE, etc.!!!

June 9, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Teresa

Sandra Bullock is a very classy yet down-to-earth lady with guts and flair!
    I admire her sfforts to always better herself notwithstanding the many flops.......go Sandra, go....!

March 7, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Juanita

Sandra's lipstick color is not good for her skin. It's too harsh on her. She looks great other wise, don't get me wrong here, but she does look thin. The best look I've seen on her was in Lakehouse. That hairstyle was so her! I really really hope she wins tonight! She is far above any B actress. She can bring out whatever message you want in a movie, how many do you know who can do that? Sandra, you go girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

March 7, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Dan

Sandra Bullock has always been a "B" actress, at best....Good....but not great....Her role in Blind Side was terrific...she exceeded everything that I thought she was capable of....it was truly an Oscar Award Performance and for that I give her all the credit in the world.

March 7, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  19. M.J.

Really?!....Casandra are you so insecure that you cannot see the skill of this woman?... Jealous much? I agree with Jack...but tone it down a bit Jack. We get it... you are correct...but let us not take away from the fact that Sandra did a fantastic job at portraying this amazing woman.

March 7, 2010 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Beth

She looks like a corpse.

March 7, 2010 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Frank Rizzo

She sucks, cant see her winning anything tonight and for what performance??

March 7, 2010 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Jack

P.S. I think cassandra is jealous. Sandra Bullock is a wonderful actress.

March 7, 2010 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Jack

Sandra Bullock is very pretty and she seems very sweet. But let us NOT loose sight of the fact that she is up for an Oscar because there was a REAL woman who lived the role that Bullock ONLY played in a movie. That woman should be the one to get a reward, and she will get a reward. She will get a reward that will last long after Bullock's oscar has lost its luster. Bullock's award is temporal while the woman Bullock portrayed will have a reward will last for eternity.

March 7, 2010 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  24. cassandra

really? Sandra an actress? Do you people know nothing? She may be charming but she is a terrible actress.

March 7, 2010 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Gilemena Taylor

Poor Sandra is too thin! Eat, Sandra, eat!

March 7, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  26. charlet

Best performance that I have seen from Sandra!

March 7, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |