March 7th, 2010

Gabourey Sidibe looks 'Precious' on the red carpet

testing captions
testing captions

Gabourey Sidibe said she knew from the beginning that the navy gown she's sporting would be the dress she wore down the red carpet.

The star of "Precious" said she considers herself  "a normal person in a fantasy world" at her Oscar debut.

"I don't believe my life," she added.

Sidibe said she hopes to work on a comedy, possibly a movie with Tina Fey and Amy Poehler.

The best actress nominee dashed down the red carpet, attempting to speak with the many journalists who waved her over.

She told "Showbiz Tonight's" Brooke Anderson that she felt it was fate to play the role of an abused, overweight teen mother.

"I think it was part of my destiny," Sidibe said of the audition that landed her the role. "I never decided to go, I just went."

As for all of the speculation she would be bringing pop singer Justin Timberlake to the awards show, Sidibe said she was just joking when she mentioned wanting him to be her date.

"Justin Timberlake  is so nice," she said as her mother, who accompanied her to the awards, looked on smiling. "He actually sent me flowers."

Filed under: movies • Oscars 2010

1. Congrat!

Congrats Precious!

March 8, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Bnice

Congratulations Gabourey! You better work it girl. I understand that some of you are concerned about her health, but I think we should worry about our own. How many of you are doctors or seen her medical records. She is an intelligent young woman, and fully aware of what she needs to do. The only thing we need to acknowledge is her accomplishments, being nominated for Best Actress. That says a lot and she should be celebrated. Stop being cruel, or what you may feel as being “concerned for her health”. What matters is her happiness and she seems to be happy. The question for the “healthy people” Are you happy? No one is promised tomorrow, so try to be nice to everyone!

March 8, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  3. PeanutBreath

Whether it's eating too much or another health issue that is causing her to be so fat, she needs to lose weight. She's morbidly obese. Take a look around. How many people in their late forties and fifties do you see that are that fat? There are not that many (especially males). Reason why is they're either totally bedridden or dead.

It's great that she's done so well. But she needs to put her efforts in losing weight. I'm thinking she's at least 150 pounds overweight. She can be even a more of a role model for kids if she takes on this task. It's not that her goal is to be a supermodel, but it's one just to survive. Just getting down to being "fat" as opposed to morbid obesity should be her goal.

March 8, 2010 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
    • gwynn

Can we tell the truth without being so heartless,Everyone has a overweight or obese person in there life that they love,so speak on this young women as you would speak about that person with concern and love.

January 10, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  4. diane smith

What's with being healthy and skinny on drugs? If your on drugs you're not healthy. If you have an eating disorder causing obesity or an extreme thinness, you need to find out why this is happening to you. She, no doubt, has reasons we do not know about. She may not be overweight because of overeating it may be emotional.We are not her doctor. However, anyone is saying she is great how she is physically, is misinformed. Somehow it seems everyone who says she is overweight, is condemning her, that's not true, we can see her talent and kindness. I had a best friend who was 350 lbs. I did not see that , even though it was obvious. She was the best person I've ever known. I miss her very much. Her body could not survive the her weight, even if she was the best person. She died because of the complications of being obese.

March 8, 2010 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  5. mer

AnnieBananie wrote: But regardless whether she is size 4 or size 24, she is a beautiful person and is talented
    ____________________________________

I'd have to agree, except that I suspect this woman is likely closer to a size 34 or more, so the likelihood of seeing her over 40 is pretty remote. I love to see her at a size 24 – at least then she'd have a chance at a normal life.

March 8, 2010 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  6. jenn

I think it is great – her story – going to an audition for college money and getting a major gig in three days which changed her life. What is scary in this case is she will be in a very specific stereotype no matter how you look at it. The fact is that she is a role model for young women who want to obtain the same dream – but she should also at least acknowledge that she is obese and does need to lose weight for her health so that she can be in the movie world for a long time – even Monique lost weight for health reasons when her husband told her that she would die too young if she didn't. No one says she needs to be a stick but she does need to be healthy if she is going to be an example for young people considering that juvenile type 2 diabetes is one of the leading causes of premiture death – even Oprah has a drive to end that – maybe she can convince her to lose the weight.

March 8, 2010 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  7. COCO

Well, she does look nice in the dress, however, girlfriend needs to take off at least 100lbs. Fat is not pretty or healthy. Nobody wants to see a cracked out stick figure, that's not what some are saying. There is a happy medium to weight. This girl is too young and talented not to find that medium!

March 8, 2010 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
  8. Billy

All I know is Gabby is PHAT. Paid, Humble And Terrific. Let's not be so quick to judge in this day and age of "everyone's a critic."

March 8, 2010 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
  9. Steve

"Yayo" is a slang word for cocaine–does anyone wonder if this poster actually has a 22 year-old son in the army?

March 8, 2010 at 2:20 am | Report abuse |
  10. Thespian

Of course, Yayo, *if* she lost weight, she wouldn't have been cast as the 300 lb single abused mother in Precious. That person is out there, so why shouldn't we have actors who actually look like real people?

You must be totally out if it. No kid is going to aim to look like that, but if they *do* look like that, it'll teach them that it's not a death sentence. That is all.

March 8, 2010 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |
  11. AnnieBananie

Yayo...I agree with the chap that said you are a yo yo. You are the very epitome of superficial stupidity that exists in our world today. Threatening Steve with a weapon.?? I agree you are a poor example for kids to follow. As far as Sidibe is concerned, she should do whatever the hell she wants to do. But regardless whether she is size 4 or size 24, she is a beautiful person and is talented. I hope your son thinks differently from your idiotic way of thinking. As someone said above, its a better for a woman such as Sidibe to be a role model versus some bony assed drug addict alcoholic bitch who is changing boyfriends like underwear.
    Yayo, you are pathetic swine.

March 8, 2010 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
  12. bluebird

I believe Miss Sidibe has already lost some weight since she made the film. In any case, she is lovely, talented, and I am sure she will learn how to become more healthy and fit and have a strong support system.... I just hope she does not hang out with the thin and superficial crowd....you know the women/men who know all about fashion, makeup, hair, celebrities, i.e., useless, self indulgent, meaningless time wasting hobbies. Miss Sidibe seems like an intelligent, creative, thoughtful, caring young woman so I feel strongly that she will live a full, soulful life. I do believe some who blog are rather jealous of her inner beauty...perhaps they should rethink their lives?

March 8, 2010 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
  13. Steve

LaughingMauser, believe me, her comment was good for a few laughs in my house as well.

March 8, 2010 at 1:19 am | Report abuse |
  14. LaughingMauser

lol@yayo and Steve's convo. Yes, all army folks get to carry weapons home for fun rodent hunting after deployment. I am sure the son will decide to threaten a commentator on Sidibe's article for disagreeing. lol. You guys just made my evening! :D

March 8, 2010 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
  15. Steve

Yayo-if you're referring to a Squad Automatic Weapon, and you're actually proud of your son carrying one of those (and proud to threaten me with it), then I stand by my original comment–Ms. Sidibe is a fabulous role model for kids, and you are most certainly not.

March 8, 2010 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
  16. ?

If your kid don't know healthy food from bad food that is your problem. Do not put your problems on Gabby. She made peace with who she is ( get over it) and she look good fat and all.

March 8, 2010 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  17. ?

Who really care if she is a size 26 or higher ? It is her life. Let the girl enjoy her time there. She is a amazing girl. I hope to see more from her in the future.

March 8, 2010 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  18. Vertias

Downplay her MAJOR weight issue all you desire, it won't change the fact that Hollywood is Hollywood. This means a grossly obese woman like Gabourey Sidibe will never receive the fame and starring roles given to women like Halle Berry (for example).

Praise Ms. Sidibe while you can, she'll certainly have a nice and classy funeral after her heart attack at 30.

March 8, 2010 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  19. thin dude

Yes a babydoll, just one big babydoll and has talent to boot..hee,hee

March 8, 2010 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  20. Thomas

honestly, she didn't win, the other fat lady in that movie won. Anyways, choosing to be a character actor that is fat does have its health costs, just like choosing to be a professional football player. To each their own but enough with the people chiming in with their I can't help it that I'm fat or being fat is beautiful, BS.

March 8, 2010 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  21. courtney f

she is so pretty and so amazingly talented. She looks like a babydoll tonight. Way to go G. Sidibe. Congratulations!!!! You are helping me to dream big dreams lady.

March 7, 2010 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  22. honestly

thomas, being fat is unhealthy and ugly , no it's not that she needs to stay fat to get roles dude...healthy and living a long life is more important than being overweight just so she gets a role...come on thomas.

March 7, 2010 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  23. honestly

yes very fat but she must be doing something right to win an oscar as the supporting actress....shows you can be any size LOL and have talent...but lose it please for your health please.

March 7, 2010 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Thomas

She doesn't have to be a role model just because she's an actress. Being super fat is just as necessary for certain roles as very old people or midgets. She'll have to stay fat to get more roles (no pun intended) because if she loses weight, there will be too many competitors for parts.

March 7, 2010 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  25. G Yo

Now she is one talented very big black woman.... show's that you can be fat and still be an excellant actress...

March 7, 2010 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Amused

Yayo- in the immortal words of Mo'Nique "Skinny Bitches are Evil". Stop being a hater you silly twit!! The young woman have more talent in her pinkie toe nail then you do in your whole body!!

March 7, 2010 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  27. truthfully

She's very sweet and I'm so happy for her...I just wish I could take my eyes off of her arms... they are just gross and very unattractive. She should lose the weight so she can really enjoy herself with this new found fame.

March 7, 2010 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  28. gee

Congratulations to Gabourey!..

Young unknown actress just months ago with no real intentions of being in a movie let a lone getting an oscar, that's great , you go girl...and as you are going , please get checkec out by your physician, you are one overweight woman and you want to continue showing your talent...... very good role model for kids and the like, just lose some weight while you are able to please. You Rock Gab's.

March 7, 2010 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Guest

I'd rather have an overweight SUCCESSFUL movie star for my kids to look up to rather than a thin or healthy star with drug, alcohol, or promiscuity problems.

March 7, 2010 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  30. wayne

deserves the award, but she is one big overweightst persont. her heart works overtime, need to get in shape like now...omg. Yes a lot of americans are fat but that is no excuse get off the couch and lose it...no excuse. Hope she lives to see 25 years old with that weight.

March 7, 2010 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  31. diane smith

I can see by her demeanor that she's a nice person, full of possibilities and I'm happy for her, but she does needs to lose weight. She is not a good example in a country with almost 50% of the population overweight. She is not overweight, she is obese, which is a very dangerous,even at her age.

March 7, 2010 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Uncle David in Lafayette

I've about had it with the ' FAT ' jokes from the likes of Yayo the YoYo.
    Some people don't care, but I do because I have seen the light.

I am 56. When I married at 33, I weighed 140 and I now weigh 265. I have excercised and eaten so healthy its disgusting and in 7 weeks I was impressed with the measly 5 pounds I lost.

About 20 years ago, I found a 'knot' in my neck and learned that my thyroid was riddled with fibroid tumor and its function was down to about 10%. The whole thing came out and I felt great for about 6 weeks then all hell broke loose. The replacement hormone rollercoastered and I put on 110 pounds in 10 months and its all in the belly.
    There is a difference between a victim and a volunteer, but when our society ecourages , even schemes to fatten us up, something is terribly wrong. No, the twinkies aren't talking to me, but take an hour for lunch in a hospital cafateria and look at what's on the line.
    THEN you'll know where the problem lies.

March 7, 2010 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Jaine

What is with all the people out there that think that if you're fat, you have nothing important to offer the world? How superficial! Maybe she should lose weight for health reasons, but to say she'd be prettier if a, b, c...? Who cares what she'd look like if she lost weight. Skinny people have health risks too. We are a society where the grass is always greener somewhere else. She'd look better if she lost weight; he'd look better if he cut his hair... How about – you'd seem less like an a$$ if you stopped judging people by what they look like and started giving credit where credit was due? I agree w/ the person who said that overeating is just an addiction where the result is visible. Let he who is without sin (or, in this case, without issues) cast the first stone!

March 7, 2010 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Elizabeth

Gabourey is so talented! "Precious" was a fantastic film and a provided audiences with a story that is extremely pertinent to American society. However, this girl has too much talent to develop health issues. She is a radiant woman and I hope that she does not develop health issues so she can continue to provide audiences with stellar performances.

March 7, 2010 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  35. suzypatootie

Wow yayo, quite the little ball of anger aren't we? Gabourey looked stunning tonight and she is a fine example for kids. She is very polite, demure, unlike most kids these days. Lots of kids could take example from her. When I was a kid, people who were my role models, were my uncle who was in the army, a teacher, people who did good to others etc... I admired them for whom they were and not because of the size they were or the clothes they wore... I wasn't going around saying Oh my god I wish I was as skinny as Twiggy or I wish I was as fat a Luciano. Sure she will need to tackle the weight issue eventually because it is not healthy but that does not take away from the person she is. They nominated her for an oscar based on her perfomance, not based on her weight.

March 7, 2010 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
  36. andrew

she seriously needs to lose weight and stop acting like fat is cute. she'll be prettier if she lost weight.

March 7, 2010 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Natasha

I think it's great that she is so heavy because how she looks gave her the opportunity to play a role that would not have been possible otherwise. It was fate.

She can lose weight if she wants, but everyone has their hangups; overeating is just more visible than someone who overspends, does drugs, drinks too much, smokes, or abuses other people. We all have our issues to work on, and we should mind our own business and congratulate this talented woman.

March 7, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Monicque

She is a very talented young lady and from what I have heard and seen has a awesome personality. I wish her luck in her future endeavors. As far as the weight goes, I agree she does need to shed a few pounds NOT because society thinks small is beautiful but because her health could not possibly withstand it long term. But with all that being said, Who am I to judge? If she's happy, I'm happy for her. If she wants to lose weight she will in time....Only time will tell.

March 7, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Gilemena Taylor

Why didn't Mo'nique thank her co-star, Gabourey?

March 7, 2010 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  40. diane smith

Yes, I noticed that guy too. He has a ugly look on his face and he's looking at her. Too bad the pic caught him.

March 7, 2010 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Jen

He has a point though. She should really lose weight. For health issues this is really bad. I mean, to each her own, but she should see a doctor or do something to tackle her weight.

March 7, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  42. KC

What is that guys problem standing behind Gabourey with the black tie and glasses? What a jerk.

March 7, 2010 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Darryl

Say it to his face? Are you eight years old?

March 7, 2010 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Marky

Yayo, even if your son IS in iraq, you should not be rude to or about someone else. That's not what he's fight ing for. He's fighting for her to have her chance to succeed and to become the best she can be. You need to be the best YOU can be to make his fight worth it.

March 7, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Marky

Let her have her moment, please! I'm sure she will take care of herself in time, just like Ricki Lake, but for now, shut up and let the young woman have her fantastic moment in the spotlight. She is a lovely young lady who is apparently kind and caring and deserves her "Precious" moment of fame without the criticism.

March 7, 2010 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Yayo

Dear Steve, my 22 year old son who is serving in Iraq might like you to say that to his face. do you know what a SAW is?

March 7, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  47. diane smith

Don't change a thing?? Her health issues, if not now are going to change her life. My best friend looked like her, I said looked because she died due to heart problems and Diabetes. She was unable to leave her home because her hips and knees gave out for the last 2 yrs of her life. I don't mean anything against Gabourey, but I just see my friend who I loved. All happiness to her.

March 7, 2010 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  48. NYCFallenstar

Love that dress! Nice to see that someone can be celebrated for what they've achieved even though she may not be a stick figure perfect sized model type.

March 7, 2010 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Crookwood

The girl is beautiful inside and out she is Big, Bold, Black and Beautiful and she is going places ryan and those people never have nothing good to say anyway they are idiots we love you girl live it up

March 7, 2010 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Monica

Congratulations to Ms. Sidobe! To those who think that you have to be perfect size "whatever" to be a role model, you have a lot to learn. She is a great example of what I want my children to strive and of the fact that the American dream is still possible. A literal unknown can realize her dream and be recognized for her talent, not her looks.

Way to go!!!

March 7, 2010 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Steve

Yayo-she's a stunning, glorious example for kids to follow, based on her accomplishments, her attitude, her humility, and her talent. Based on your comment, I can't imagine what kind of example you are to the children in your life-I just hope you don't have any of your own.

March 7, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Treena

Gabourey Sidibe is a beautiful and soulful woman both inside and out. What confidence she has!! It is her confidence, talent, goals-setting and self-belief that are the best examples for all people, including children. So what, she isn't a size 0, 2 or 4! Her size is NOTHING compared to the POSITIVE life examples she has demonstrated to the world. Gabourey, congratulations!! So many millions of people worldwide are extremely PROUD of you...for all the right reasons!! (Sorry Yayo, you are completely and totally WRONG!! Life is more than your size!)

March 7, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Crookwood

I think she is so beautiful and she has very nice smile and thats the way god made her and she will go a long way you go girl most big women i know are beautiful and she is one of them god id great amen

March 7, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Luzy

not surprise.... ryan sea??? is an idiot

March 7, 2010 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  55. NYFilmStudent

Thank you God for Miss Sidobe – she reminds us that everyone's dream can come true! Don't change a thing, keep going girl – we love you as you are! You are an inspiration to all of us, and we love, love, love your dress! Good luck tonight!

March 7, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Robbin J. Taylor

Congratulations to Gabourey! I don't know if she saw the disrespect paid to Queen Latifah by Ryan Seacrest on the Red Carpet but she was not going to let the same thing happen to her! Kudos! In case you did not see it, here is what happened. After watching for almost 2 hours of "Who are you wearing?" and "Lets get a full view of this beautiful gown!" Queen Latifah comes to the microphone and before she gets two words out in walks George Clooney, who Ryan promptly pulls in and it becomes another George Clooney interview! I do not know what Queen Latifah was wearing, whose jewelry, what her shoes look like! Or for that matter what she is presenting! Gabby took over her interview with Ryan and did the turn and announced her designer! Good for you girl!!!! And what is going on with the women and the "Birds Nest" hair? Looks like birds have been pecking in their hair! And by the way if anyone says Sarah Jessica Parkers gown is the BEST......NOT!

March 7, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Yayo

that lady needs to lose weight. she is a horrible example for the kids to follow.

March 7, 2010 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |