March 5th, 2010

'The Office:' It's a girl!

'The Office's' Jenna Fischer and John Krasinski
'The Office's' Jenna Fischer and John Krasinski

The arrival of Cecelia Marie Halpert made for an uproarious one hour episode of "The Office" Thursday night. If nothing else, this show comes through for the big episodes (see the Super Bowl and the wedding). This season has been all over the map, but as usual, it really clicks when Jim and Pam are the focus.

As Jim mentioned during this episode, he hates to be frazzled, but seeing this couple lose it (like when Pam discovered Michael was dating her mother) is rare and hilarious when it happens. This took place quite a few times, firstly when Pam refused to go to the hospital and wanted to be distracted from her contractions - Michael Scott to the rescue! Andy's performance of the "Evolution of Dance" (no music, please) and Erin's ability to remember every Triple Crown winner were highlights of Distraction Fest 2010.

Soon, and despite Pam's protests, it was time to head to the hospital, and of course, Michael wanted to be a part of the whole experience, driving them there, and later showing up with balloons in the delivery room (his look after leaving the room was priceless).

Frazzled Jim and Pam soon returned, though, with their worries over nursing and getting as much time in the hospital as possible. However, as hysterical as it was to have a sleepy Pam accidentally feed and care for their roommate's baby by mistake, it was still a fairly predictable joke that went on a little too long.

Meanwhile, Dwight was in rare form. After witnessing how a baby could improve one's sales, he entered into a contract with Angela to have a baby together. It's about time these two got back together.

One could see the mistake of sending Dwight to retrieve Pam's iPod coming a mile away. After discovering mold, Dwight invited himself to spend the night and tear the house apart, of course. His inevitable run-in with Pam's friend Isabel sparks things back up between them, almost certain to complicate things with Angela.

Back at Dunder-Mifflin, matchmaker Michael had another success with Erin and Andy (despite a brief, amusing misfire with Erin and Kevin). What could have been an excuse to bring back the old Pam and Jim will-they-or-won't-they magic is something quite different with these two and their burgeoning relationship is another bright spot for this season.

How do you think this episode measured up? Share your thoughts on video, or in the comments below.

1. Sean D.

HA! The cop yelling "Dwight – you can't pretend you're a cop!" ...hehe – he knew Dwight by name...hehehe.

March 5, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Sarah

Ricky Gervais is a producer on the show.. so he let it happen, Yossarian.

March 5, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Franke

I laughed my eyes out. If you don't think this show is funny, you must like "Cougar Town", "Two and a Half Men" or some other stupid comedy with predictable jokes centered around sex. The "Office" has original humor and continues to get better and better each season. This show will go down in history as one of the great comedies along with "Cheers", "Seinfeld", "Mash", and "Hogan's Heros".

March 5, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. rmr797

OMG! when she found out she was nursing the wrong baby I almost died laughing! The whole thing was great. I loved Dwight and Angela's contract negotiations. Just brilliant!

March 5, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. ErinP

This episode was spot on in the new parent department. I was literally uncomfortable watching Jim and Pam it reminded me so much of my own experience. Kudos to the Office writers for a believeable labor and delivery! Labor takes FOREVER, and normally on television, a woman is fine, feels a minor contraction, and has the baby after two small pushes 10 minutes later.

March 5, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  6. John

We need more story lines involving kevin's feet.

March 5, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. carlos

The episode was hilarious! Dwight being his normal self is too funny. Getting a baby contract from Angela was funny but running into Pams sister was very intriguing. Cant wait to see what develops from that. Overall I thought Jim tried his best to take care of the whole Pam not wanting to go to the hospital and of course Michael as well. Funny episode from start to finish

March 5, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Brian

I wouldnt say it was predictable, surprised me.

Another recent favorite was the christmas episode with Kevin sitting on Michael's lap and being dumbfounded about what to do next because no Santa had ever let sit on their lap before. You can see Kelly (Mindy) trying not to laugh in the background. Tranny-Clause..funny

March 5, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Robin

Did you last have a baby in the Dark Ages? Mom's no longer rush to the hospital when their water breaks. My water broke and my doctor still had me wait until the contractions were close together. This is totally acceptable in the 21st Century!

March 5, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ms Williams

I just started watching the office recently because there was nothing else on, but I love it. I cracked up last night!! It was hilarious. Will go out to buy all the seasons on DVD to see it from the beginning.

March 5, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jennapher

The show was hysterical.... the part where she nursed the wrong baby...PRICELESS!!!!!

March 5, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Katiedid

I thought the episode was great! My favorite part was when Dwight was throwing swords and axes out of his car while getting pulled over.. too funny! XD

March 5, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Candice

I loved how they kept the birth private. You didn't have to suffer through the fake pushing and sweating and all the awful things that go into it. I liked Jim's announcement of the baby and her name (love it!). I think they did a great job. Yes, there are some over the top moments, but it's TV. Plus that is just part of The Office's charm. I have been a fan from the beginning. I'm routing for Andy & I would love to see Dwight burn Angela this time.

March 5, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  14. rita

Agree with a lot of comments:
    Amateurish at best, the whole"Michael walks into the delivery room" and "Pam Nurses wrong baby" were totally predictable and juvenile, not the caliber of joke for this show. I understand this is not reality, it's a comedy...but no women for any reason would wait to go to the hospital after her water breaks-endangering mother and baby is just a ridiculous concept. for a joke. There were so many other avenues they could have take with this situation, I guess the writers figured thoughtless and uncreative was the best way. The only part that I found amusing was Dwight..stupid, but amusing. Oh, and the baby finally "latching on" at the very end...predictable.

March 5, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  15. MissDiaz

My friend kept trying to get me to watch The Office...after several attempts I finally sat down and watched a few episodes. I admit some are more over-the-top than others, but I enjoy them overall. I find myself screaming, laughing, and at times rolling my eyes at the television. I absolutely love it. It's probably the best entertainment I've had since Sex and The City (shut up).

March 5, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Sue

Loved it...Each sub plot was hilarious. Thought it was funny when Pam fed the wrong baby!!

March 5, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Suzanne

Geri – go back and watch reruns of Everybody Loves Raymond. I'm sure you like that awful show. I loved the show last night! Funny!

March 5, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Ellen

I love this episode. I am new to the whole Office thing and I have already gone out and bought every previous season. The first episode i ever watched of the Office was The Wedding. I think Casino Night is still my favorite. I agree with Brian, I miss the Michael and Holly couple. But I loved hearing them talk about Nashua because I live there.

March 5, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Mel

I love The Office, I love Jim & Pam, I love this episode & now I love Cecelia.

I do not love people who hate the show and complain about it but obviously still watch it. If you do not think it is funny or you think it is stupid, don't watch it anymore. It will not hurt anyone's feelings. I put on my big panties this morning, I can handle it.

I do not love people who comment that the UK version is superior to the US version. They are both extraordinarily funny, but there is no way you can compare the UK version's 14 episodes with the US version's 118 (and counting). Not every episode is going to be perfect, deal with it. Furthermore, out of those 118 episodes I can find way more than 14 that are just wonderful.

I do not love the phrase "jumping the shark." Can we retire that one already??

March 5, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Brian

Reading all of the comments is interesting. Seems to be a 60/40 split. Almost evenly divided whether people love it or hate it.
    Myself, I thought the show was funny. Honestly the series could have ended with the wedding, in my opinion the perfect episode. I have appreciated the fact that big moments in the series such as "The proposal, the wedding, and the birth" happened throughout the course of the show and not during the season finale.

The show is growing and evolving, and I have appreciated it for that. I havent always loved it. For instance, I miss Michael & Holly and hated when Michael started dating Pam's Mother. But at least they tried something different and the show is progressing, much like life. The show is reflecting to a certain extent, life. And I think the people who are really appreciating the show are those who can connect with aspects of it, such as "The wedding" or "The birth".

If you want to see the same show every week, buy the first couple seasons on DVD and watch them over and over again.

March 5, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  21. sophie

I absolutely LOVED IT!!! I couldn't stop laughing. I am a huge Office fan and loved that it lasted 1-hr. I also thought Pam's nurse was hysterical and did a great job!

March 5, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  22. Jake

Holy crap, this episode was one of my favorites in a long time.

March 5, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  23. yossarian

If it hadn't already, this might have been the episode that jumped the shark. Way too much cheap humor. Ricky Gervais would never have let an episode like this happen on the original show.

March 5, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  24. Kat

Thanks a lot for a ruining headline. I have not seen the episode yet and now it's ruined for me. Did you HAVE TO announce it was a girl in the link to this article? How disappointining. Is it that hard to make headlines less revealing when it concerns tv shows?

March 5, 2010 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  25. gina

Great episode!!! Hey Nan and Bummer – go get a sense of humor.

March 5, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  26. Amy

I loved it and thought it was hysterical! It made me think back to my first baby and how I miss those first few days of newness and adjusting. Dwight...TO FUNNY!!! Loved the "escorting service" he started...and made new friends...LOL Can not wait to see how Andy and Erins relationship goes....

March 5, 2010 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  27. Amanda

Awesome! I cracked up–those of you who've never shared a room in the maternity ward or have been delirious from sleep OR have never gone through labor–(2 min apart-19 hours of labor-possible-I've heard of it!) withhold comment.

My hubby and I were cracking up–the whole episode was hilarious! Favorite scenes included the staff needing a shirt with holes cut out –Meredith: "Oh, I have one of those in my car..." LOVE IT!

March 5, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  28. Geri

The whole show is stupid.... have tried to get interested; however it is just plain stupid; whatever happen to comedy?... Geri

March 5, 2010 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  29. ugh

this was the WORST! nothing funny about jim/pam/baby. the writing and jokes were so amateur. bring the show back to when it was funny and focused on the office and the people in it. i'm out until then.

March 5, 2010 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  30. The Preposition

If people didn't like this episode, I would think they are not Office fans and just tuned into the show for the first time. This is what The Office is and should be – wackiness. Dwight tussing swords and axe from his car while being pulled over by a cop for having a fake red cop light, Dwight spending the night at Pam and Jim's then bringing in Mose to help re-do the kitchen. If you want a boring cookie-cutter sitcom then watch boring predictable re-runs of Friends or Will and Grace – they have a laugh-track for you. (press play and laugh-track now, followed by "ooooooohhhhh" track).

March 5, 2010 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  31. Bummer

I may never watch this show again! I don't know why anyone would think it's funny to nurse the wrong baby. Not only that, nothing absolutely nothing was funny about that episode!!

March 5, 2010 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  32. marianne

Hysterical!! I think I need to go wash my eyes-what a line!!!!

March 5, 2010 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  33. The Preposition

One of the funniest episodes ever!! I loved the Dwight escort, and the fact that he tried to open his own escorting business. Classic dwight. I was sure he was just going to speed off from the cop when Pam needed her Ipod.

March 5, 2010 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  34. nan

Stupid stupid stupid in every respect. Not going to the hospital? Stupid. 19 hours of labor after she was 2 minutes apart? stupid Nursing wrong baby? really really really stupid Kitchen torn apart and magical helpers banging cabinets? stupid not funny stupid and disappointing

March 5, 2010 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  35. David

I really enjoyed the episode last night! I agree with the author: The look on Michael's face after he walked in the delivery room was absolutely hilarious! Also, I though Andy "hiding" in the greenery was pretty funny!
    All in all, another great episode of my favorite show!

March 5, 2010 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  36. Sera

it was alot of fun to watch, the did a really great job!
    I loved the way they dressed her and her room mate too, I found the hospital gown was from Baby Be Mine Maternity and it did look fabulous!
    Great job NBC

March 5, 2010 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  37. franco

started slow and dull but quickly got funnier and funnier; All office episodes should be an hour. Laughed my head off.

March 5, 2010 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |