March 5th, 2010

Guru's producer speaks out on his condition

testing captions
testing captions

Solar, the producer for Guru, spoke with CNN on Friday about the rapper's condition and media reports that Solar is barring the ailing rapper’s family from seeing him.

“Guru is recovering and his doctors are guarded, but hopeful for his recovery,” Solar said.

He said the rapper has a history of lung problems and asthma and has been guarded about revealing his health issues. Solar, who says he is Guru’s best friend in addition to being his producer for the last few years, is currently acting as Guru’s spokesperson.

“Guru has entrusted me to be accurate and truthful in relaying information to the media,” Solar said.

After news broke on Monday that the co-founder of Gang Starr had fallen into a coma following going into cardiac arrest, fans reached out via the Internet to express their concern.

Guru’s nephew, Justin Nicholas-Elam Ruff, posted a video on YouTube in which he accused Solar of withholding information about the rapper from his family and not allowing them to see him.

"Solar has complete control of the flow of information," he said in the video. "I know that Solar has been his right-hand man day in and day out for the last six years, but that does not give him the right to make decisions about whether his family is to see Guru or learn about his status. The fact that he is acting like this lets me know that he does not have Guru's best interests in mind."

In speaking with CNN, Solar said he was confused as to why Ruff would make such accusations given that Ruff’s mother, Trish, and other family members have visited with Guru.

“It’s very, very baffling to me because his mother [Trish] was at the hospital not even a week ago with Guru’s brother and his sister,” Solar said. “I speak to Guru’s father and his brother daily. This is amazingly untrue and I have no idea what this is about.”

Doctors have not given any indication as to when Guru might be released, Solar said, and the rapper is touched by the fan support.

“The outpouring of love from around the world has been tremendous,” Solar said. “I’m reading some of the best e-mails, texts and Twitters that come in and he enjoys them. I think that’s what has been helping his recovery and what’s got him in there fighting.”

1. st. albans music

It's really a cool and useful piece of information. I am satisfied that you shared this useful info with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

May 9, 2012 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  2. Sin Amor

CNN – contact Guru's nephew Justin and interview him. This is ridiculously one-sided.

March 8, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Str8 Outta Tx

hip hop pioneer, Gang Starr fanatical.
    Rhyme like a playwright, flow so radical/
    get well guru your presence is requested.
    long as i'm gettin airplay i cant be bested/
    gang starr enthusiast STR8 Outta Texas.
    Fans from all age groups, races and sexes/
    haters gotta tap out leave their women breathless.
    scientifically speaking i strike solar plexus/
    pen to the pad, dont test my libido.
    Str8 is on the tracks by my style aint free though/
    6 barre soldier. guru's a beast though.
    gotta sign off for now.holla at you round 3 or so...

March 8, 2010 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  4. Kym Adimi Murphy

Dearest Guru/Mr. Jazzmatazz -

You are foremeost a true legend of the artistry of Hip Hop.
    Keep your faith, pray without ceasing, and continue getting better, with each new day.

Brooklyn has an abundance of love and prayers, going up for you, wishing you a speedy recovery!
    We respect the architect.....

Kym Adimi Murphy
    Brooklyn, NY

March 8, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  5. j delgado

get well soon, bro ive been a fan of yours since gangstar started out of da gates! ive been praying for u!

March 8, 2010 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  6. shrink

may blessings of strength be with you! Recover well my brother!

March 8, 2010 at 5:42 am | Report abuse |
  7. olugbo

CNN please interview the family....since when did the producer become the trusted source for this type of info?

March 8, 2010 at 4:50 am | Report abuse |
  8. 16barsoffire

Guru let's go get em again !
    Get better brother

March 7, 2010 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. GT

Guru I listen to your material when I was in college and it was because of artist like you and DJ Premiere and Pete Rock that made Jazz so cool for me,and so my prayers are with you and your family for a speedy recovery..PEACE.

March 7, 2010 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  10. jay mezistrano

Hey Guru, your one of the greats. we need you man' your wisdom and purity keep the planet in balance...

"support the brothers that are truely gifted, this way the odds can never be shifted" Credit is Due – Gangstarr

Gifted unlimited and primo at their best....

My thoughts are with you....

March 7, 2010 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  11. KeeSan

as a true Gangstarr fan this is one eerie story and we've been trying to follow it here in queens ny. GET WELL Guru!

Why are there so many holes in all the stories? we've heard that Guru never woke up from a coma, and if not how could he have issued a statement? The nephew of Guru–an obviously bright and intelligent young man– tried to visit his uncle in the hospital only to learn that he has been barred by Solar, But then what happened next? I know if that were my family member I would not have simply left. Where is his grandfather?

The fans would rather hear from the family directly or a hospital administrator. People just want to know the status of the Rapper's health from someone not tied into the drama. it would be sad if this were all some twisted publicity thing while Guru and the Elam family suffer.

March 7, 2010 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  12. latashaa

guru,get better soon. i will keep you in prayer.

March 7, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  13. symtrees

For those who posted negative comments about the Elam family, please shut your mouths. My family is not shady and have done nothing but show love to Keith(Guru). As in all families, people have differences of opinion, but there is nothing but love for Keith.

March 7, 2010 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  14. Kathy

Peace Guru get better soon. As far as Solar, He's just doing what his partner and friend has asked him to do. If something like this should happen to anybody. I would hope that we would have a Solar in our life to protect us the way Solar is protecting Guru. Peace Solar keep youir head up.. screw the haters.

March 6, 2010 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. gordon curvey

I am Gordon Curvey, Producer of Music Inner City TV in Seattle and editor of Music Inner City News Magazine.

Guru along with Chuck D are my favorite all time rap/hip-hop artists. I have interviewed Guru three times over the years here in Seattle.

He is a great dude and young rappers should learn from greats like Guru on how to perform on stage and entertain the crowd. He is a master. A legend.

I just want to know if Guru is going to be OK and return to the microphone. Later with all the drama with Solar. I just want to know if Guru is going to recover and be OK. My prayers go out to him and his family.

March 6, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Lanette

Getter better soon Guru.............!

March 6, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  17. NATHAN WIMBERLY

Pray each day man. That is stronger than any medicine they can give you.

March 6, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Reality Speaks

"and in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make."...yeah Guru, glad to you're doing well bro. You are underground royalty, but more importantly, you appear to a better human being. Props.

March 6, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Peice&Luv

If you don't have GangStar's "Full Clip" you don't have a hip hop album. One of the best that ever did it. Get well Gifted Universal Rhymes Unlimited.

March 6, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Tony

GURU–Get well soon and back on the MIC!

March 6, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Alex Hayes

Yo Guru,
    Love you, man. Get well. We need you out here. I know now's probably not the best time, but let's be honest: these other rappers are straight whack. You could drop 'em from your hospital bed using sign language.
    -One

March 6, 2010 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  22. whtmtnmex1

Get better and best wishes for a full recovery!

March 6, 2010 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  23. Wenmichimar

Get well wishes to Guru. I know Gangstarr and been in the rap game for a while. A had a ex-boyfriend who was crazy about the group and as I surprise I purchased a couple of their Cd's for him.

March 6, 2010 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  24. dns

"Squeeze the juice out, of all the suckers with power
    And pour some back out, so as to water the flowers
    This world is ours, that's why the demons are leary
    It's our inheritance; this is my Robbin Hood Theory"

Get well soon Guru.

March 6, 2010 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  25. Bobby Pearson

GURU YOU ARE IN MY PRAYERS!! Get well soon, HOPE to hear you on the mic again!! God Bless

March 6, 2010 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  26. THe Rave

My man! You made some ninjas enroll in classes and pursue degrees without even seeing them or touching them? Ninja listen to Gangstarr and start looking and the jail cell kinda strange. Jay Z and Wayne would never sacrifice the fame and lyrics to be that for us. Get Up BOIII!!!

March 6, 2010 at 7:03 am | Report abuse |
  27. Servant

Bro Guru,I've been praying for you and it also moved my heart to also read that your fans' were praying for your return back to earth from your coma.Bro Guru;you will be made whole in Jesus Christ name.A'men.Thy brother when youre out and has rested enough now go back into the sterio and bless thy fans with thy truth of spiritual Hip-Hop that will last until the return of the King Jesus Christ.A'men.This is now youre new purpose now; because thy youth has no one to look up to for years and God hasent been found in niether Hip- Hop nor R&B.Thy servant bro Guru,this to shall past and remember what you saw and dont forget thy promise.It is time to show thy world whats in thy heart and thy spirit that will change the world forever in Jesus Christ name.A'men.He whom can take somebody small and weak and also can make them strong and powerful.Do as youre now call to do and its now in thy music for Hossanan.Know! that youre my brother as we all are around the world and youre loved by many still; so PUSH. "PRAY UNTIL SOMETHING HAPPENS' " God loves you and may He bless you and your family also your haters because this one isnt about you at all and shall see in due season. DISCIPLE 12

March 6, 2010 at 6:51 am | Report abuse |
  28. Dreadest

Damn Guru... Get better man... I'm flippin to my GangStar playlist right now!

March 6, 2010 at 6:27 am | Report abuse |
  29. me

Interesting how Solar get to speak for Guru, lies over and over again. On his twitter page he says that Justin did not have a close relationship with GURU. I think it is Solar who does not have a close relationship to GURU if he says that. GURU been close to Justin during his whole life. Less during the six years SOLAR known him. He been a part of Justin's life for 27 years. Also Justin have seen GURU the last couple of years, and if SOLAR have not noticed that he is not just dumb but arrogant. For example during a concert in sweden a while ago and also in LA (backstage where he also met SOLAR). You have it coming for you SOLAR stupid move. That you keep on lying, which hospital records later will show, is even a more stupid move. Ha, good luck.

March 6, 2010 at 6:21 am | Report abuse |
  30. Darrylbeats

I came up on Gang Starr, so get well soon Guru, and thank you Solar! Best wishes from Denver.

March 6, 2010 at 4:26 am | Report abuse |
  31. allison

CNN needs to interview Guru;s family to get the real story

March 6, 2010 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
  32. Never Let down

Solar is a manipulator. Don't get lost in the fog. The truth is coming and Solar will prove he is no longer the GOD he claims to be. Respect and love to Guru.

March 6, 2010 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  33. Damir Nelson

Solar is lying. Don't believe anything he says. He's even controlling Guru's Twitter page.

March 5, 2010 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  34. MyShoes2Hot

Get well Quick! & continue to Bless the Mic'!
    Legends never die –
    Bliss to Solar & Guru's Family....Like Always!

March 5, 2010 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Delondon Harrison

Guru, you are in our prayers. Get well soon! Hip-Hop needs your wisdom.

March 5, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |