March 4th, 2010

Who will go and who will stay on 'Idol'

testing captions
testing captions

Thursday night marks the second results night show for “American Idol.”

Two weeks in, and in all honesty I wish we could wipe the slate almost completely clean and start over. Since that is not possible, here are my picks for who I think will be heading home.

She’s utterly adorable, but if there is any justice in this world Haeley Vaughn will be sent packing. I really wish the judges had given her another year or two before allowing her into the Top 24. She just wasn’t ready.

Lacey Brown needs to kick rocks too, but my prediction is that Didi Benami will be sent home. Her version of “Lean on Me” was made even worse, given all the promise she showed early on.

For the guys, I desperately want to say Tim Urban, but I am starting to suspect that he is this season’s Sanjaya. Instead I think Jermaine Sellers might have to pay the price for sassin' the judges and putting them on the spot in terms of picking “the right song” for him.

Likewise, I believe Todrick Hall will fall prey to the judges' confusing instructions to "make a song your own" and "be original, but wait, not that original!"

Season eight third place finisher Danny Gokey will also be performing during the results show.

In other “Idol” news, the show’s announced social networking experiment appears to be over. The individual contestant Facebook, Twitter and MySpace accounts have now all been consolidated into one. Methinks it may have something to do with the uneven numbers between some of the more popular “Idol” wannabes versus the ones who were, well, not so much.

Join CNN tonight and throughout the "American Idol" season as Lisa Respers France blogs live during the performance and result shows.

1. d.murray

I agree with all of the comments about this years American Idol! Not good. Also what happened to the set and stage area? An entirely different feeling. No audience but a handful of people and no exciting applause and depth to the show. Bring back the old set, etc. Also bring back PAULA.

March 8, 2010 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
  2. Weezie

I never used to flip the channel during Idol, but this season, I find myself constantly flipping the channel and watching something else. The talent is truly lacking. I don't think Michelle should have gone home, she's one of the better female singers. I like Michael Lynche, I think he's one of the better men singers, but this Idol is SAD! Also, I think that Ellen is terrible as a judge. She doesn't know anything about Music, so how the heck can she be a judge? i wish they could just start auditions all over again.

March 5, 2010 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  3. frank

hi crystal , my name frank i have heart failure and had surgery but when i hear you sing you make smile and enjoy your music your going to win this because you are so talented ,

March 5, 2010 at 1:44 am | Report abuse |
  4. billy

I think the ones left on tonight, Mar 04, are, actually all very talented. All are different, and, well, there might be a couple more that aren't really that great, but, I think that just about everyone of them are very good. I don't know what's up with all of you saying that they aren't. I just don't understand you. Maybe American "Idol" is a little too much for anyone. None of them are actually "Idols" None of the previous winners I'm refering to. Sure, they went on to become somewhat of a famous performer, and acquired a certain number of fans, but, nobody will ever be an "Idol" that all of America loves. Nobody. But, to say that they are all untalented, is just wrong. wrong.
    On the other hand, I guess there is nothing "wrong" about giving your opinion. Right or Wrong

March 5, 2010 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  5. Sam P

Sorry Jim I disagree with you that there has been no real talent anywhere on that stage for the past 3 season. Just last season we had Adam Lambert. He is amazing!

March 4, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  6. protogere

I am so excited to see Danny. My night will be complete if Lacey and Tim go home, but I have a feeling that won't happen.

March 4, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Clariposita

what drives me crazy is the fact that the JUDGES picked these people. WHY are they doggin' them now? Poor Jermaine and Todrick are all confused..... be original, but "you over did it" make it your own, "oh you were all over the place with the arragements". what the heck? my favorite is Andrew Garcia but he is sliding faaaaaaast. as far as the girls, i dont like any except for dreadgirl but she seems to be there against her will. and if Ellen says adorable, ONE MO' TIME!!!!!

March 4, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Kelly

Oh come on; Michael was the bomb!! Just end it now and let him win!

March 4, 2010 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jim

Who really cares anymore? This show has "jumped the shark". There has been no real talent anywhere on that stage for the past 3 seasons.

Do what I've done...watch something else or get Netflix

March 4, 2010 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. jim

omg they all are terrible. Watching American Idol this year is painful. It is like bottom fishing or picking out from the bottom of the barrel.

March 4, 2010 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  11. moon627

Crystal, Siobhan, Lilly, Lee, Casey, and Andrew are worth keeping ...

the rest can all go home (including Ellen)

March 4, 2010 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Keisha

I absolutely agree with all of you. This years' American Idol sucks really bad because most of the great singers actually got sent home because of that dumb group night and we are left with this mess.. I felt like the judges wanted to give us an group of people who either went through some tragic moment in their lives that america would feel sympathy too.. But to me there is really only 5 if that out of this 16 that could actually do something and has talent the rest are here to just bore us to sleep miserably..

March 4, 2010 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  13. skip

My first impression was that the guys were weak this year, and the girls had a lot of strong singers. After the past two nights of agony, there's not a guy in the bunch that deserves to go any further. The girls...man, what a let-down. I was an early Didi Benami fan, but she's gone downhill fast. The only one, IMO, who has any commercial appeal is Crystal Bowersox, but she comes off like she could care less. Strange season.

March 4, 2010 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Sam P

I concur that there are real issues this year, but is the fault all with the judges? I doubt it. The judges are the faces we see but they aren't pulling all the strings. I think the producers and executives of the show probably share a good portion of the blame. Previous years you would hear maybe one heart wrenching story, this year it was never ending. You have to wonder if they made the decision to put a lot of those contestants in instead of someone with more talent.

Other years we've had some "unusual" character who really couldn't sing great, but brought something to the show. You'd tune in in part to see what the heck would happen with them. You didn't really expect them to be around long. Nothing like that this year.

March 4, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. K.B.

IMO... the only one with talent is Crystal... but then again, Idol is for wannabe's.

March 4, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Marj

There are only about six of this years AIs that have any potential talent. It is almost painful to watch this year. I love Amanda Bowersox!!!! I like Casey James he is eye candy, but needs to step it up....and pickl the right songs..they all do. Who are these people they are chosing songs from...might help if people have actually heard these songs they are picking. There are a couple of young guys who can sing. The guy who's wife just had a baby acts wierd and because of that alone I hope he get sent packing. I don't care to watch him thinking he is all that and a bag of chips, where there are guys who can sing better than him. This is a singing contest still! There are a couple of girls who can sing too, the one who said she had a mohawk at one time, she can really sing and there is one other one...that is there are two besides Crystal Bowersox who can sing. This year the judges really dropped the ball, this is a really slow start and boring compared to all the pervious years.

March 4, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  17. vryclver

In my fantasies....they are ALL eliminated!!!!!

March 4, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  18. kwag

It feels like every week is audition week. DIdn't they do all of this before the season started? Sure feels like we're watching the process instead of the contestants. And as much as I love Ellen, she really needs some basic music training. She may be good at picking artists to appear on her show, but her lack of knowledge makes her look like she's doing an "education cyphon" on the panel experts. Not that Simon has any musical intelligence either, but at least he has a track record for picking/promoting winners!

March 4, 2010 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Micheal

The main problem is that they should never have gone to the 12 guys 12 girl format. It elementates a lot of strong talent just to make the numbers jive.
    Stil, there is no real standout male or female.

March 4, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Dave D

It does make me wonder when the judges picked the so-called top 24 yet they bash them constantly. Out of the 1000's that tried out this is the best of the bunch? It just seems like they are looking for sad background stories and the same goofy personalities every year versus finding 24 very talented people and let them battle it out. The show is getting old and it shows. There is too much attention on the judges and not staying focused on finding the talent. Maybe the judges should choose the songs since that seems to be the big compaint plus first they say to make the song your own and when they do then they say just sing it like it was recorded and belt it out? Make up your mind......

March 4, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  21. michele

all i hope is they put ellen beside Simon and let them play off each other and bring some humor into the show and put Kara in the dog house

March 4, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Thomas Krieg

Marnie you are absolutley right. They should all go. In seasons past there was at least someone worth watching whether it be freeky, talented or what ever. This year they are all so sub-par talented and bland personalities. I will be floored if the "winner" gets a recording contract.

March 4, 2010 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Miguel in NY

I'm very disappointed with this year's Idol contestants. I think the judges failed by picking people with only marginal vocal talent. This year seems like a snoozer and could hurt their ratings overall.

March 4, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  24. The other Kacey

My thoughts exactly.

March 4, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Marnie

They should all be sent home now. There isn't an American Idol in the bunch.

March 4, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |