March 4th, 2010

'Idol' makes the cut

testing captions
testing captions

*The following blog will contain spoilers about who's removed from "American Idol." You know the drill - if you don't want to know anything, stop reading now.

8:54 p.m. – I like Katelyn Epperly's hair. She should keep it that way. She's safe, as is Crystal "MamaSox" Bowersox. So is Siobhan Magnus. Lacey Brown and Haeley Vaughn are rightfully in the bottom two.

Haeley is out. Absolutely the right decision and I blame the judges. They should have held her off until she got a little bit more seasoning.

Debbie the stage manager is losing her mind towards the end cause it's obvious the show is in danger of running over. Or maybe they just don't want to give Haeley much time to sing. I appreciate that.

8:43 p.m. - Seacrest better watch it with teasing Lilly Scott. That chick looks like she can handle herself. Lilly is safe, as is Paige Miles.

Little Katie Stevens is safe too and I am so happy. That leaves Didi Benami and Michelle Delamor. I love how stern and serious all the judges are trying to look.

My mind is officially blown when they announce that Michelle is out. I blame it on that Creed song. I'm telling you, that song can be a dangerous weapon in the wrong hands.

8:34 p.m. - I liked Danny Gokey, but he didn't steal my heart. You can always count on Seacrest for the hyperbole.

Gokey is looking good. Big Mike appears to be feeling his new single "My Best Days Are Ahead of Me." I'm not sure if this is one destined for popularity at proms - or an AARP function. Hokey Gokey went country on us. Do your thing Boo.

8:21 p.m. - You knew Lee Dewyze wasn't going anywhere. Aaron Kelly is up next and when they flash to Kara she is giving crazy eyes. Little cutie Aaron is safe.

Alex Lambert will also continue to hold it down for the Lamberts, as he too will be back next week.

That leaves Jermaine Sellers and Andrew Garcia. Andy ... NOOOOOOOOOOOOO. You let "Idol" get all up in your head and now you are crashing. Seacrest drags it out before revealing that Jermaine is out.

Not surprisingly, Jermaine has plenty to say. I will give it to him, as he keeps it upbeat and gives God the glory. He'll have to continue doing so away from national TV. However, this makes the second national talent competition in which he's been a finalist. Maybe next year he can try out for "X Factor."

8:11 p.m.- Ryan ain't lying about it being stressful!

Tim Urban is safe again? Seriously? Stunning.

And I love how they are jumping all over the row. Poor Todrick Hall has to stand there while they hop over to Big Mike Lynche, who is safe, as well as Casey James. That means it comes down to Todrick and John Park – and John is out!

Dashed are my hopes for a smooth, Asian balladeer to enjoy this season. I did not see that one coming at all!

8:05 p.m. – Yeah, I got a feeling too.

I feel like Simon has been reading some of the coverage of the show where so many people are saying major suckage has been going on and now he feels compelled to address it.

With all of the advancements in technology, surely they can hook it up so the acoustics in the studio are true enough that Simon doesn't have to go back and watch it only to go "Ugggh!"

I'm glad he at least admitted it though.

1. Dean

The old race card again. This show does not see the color of skin. Why can't the audience be color blind? The judges are and that is how it should be. There have been African American winners so stop this already. People vote for the best and not for the race. I love that. I dialed my finger off for the Teddy Bear Rubin and so did others without seeing his size or color. Loved that Man and was thrilled he won. There seemed to be a weight limit on the contestants this year oh yes and looks was very important. That part is sad.

March 8, 2010 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  2. Teralynn

I am sooooo glad Haley is gone! Her lips are so huge that they engulf her entire face. I could not even listen to her singing as I was distracted by her gigantic lip face. From what I did hear it was horrific.

March 5, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Chris

I honestly think that America got it wrong with Michelle and John this time around. I realize that John tended to pick rather sleepy songs and he performed the last one while sitting on a stool...if only he had sung the way he did when he found he was voted off! Michelle had a nice voice but you can't do an elevator version of Creed. Either be passionate or pick something else. In the end, song selection was her downfall. Haley and Jermaine needed to go. Haley was a very nice person but she wasn't ready for this competition at this time. Jermaine clearly has talent but this venue did not showcase it very well. Frankly, I was surprised that Tim Urban didn't go. Though he had improved some from the previous week, he was still miles below par.

Every year the topic of race comes up and every year I dust off my book of pat responses but I have to admit it is unfortunate that those who are different don't always make it to the end. However, that is not the result of racism namely because you vote for who you like the most, not the person you want gone. That said, if you were disappointed that people of color are voted off WHEN THEY DESERVE TO STAY then by all means VOTE and get your friends to vote and vote more than once. Otherwise, you have no one to blame but yourself!

March 5, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  4. estella

I was very pleased with the outcome of last nights show. I really think its time for Tim to go though. Hes a sweet kid but he just isnt that good of a singer. Didi and Casey are most likely going to be in the top five. I dont think people will keep Lilly for that much longer. She is seeming a little bit snoody to me. GO CASEY!!

March 5, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  5. Joe Schmo

Jazz:

for the most part, those 6 minorities happened to be the worst singers. I say "for the most part" because I think Tim Urban probably should have gone before Jermaine. But trust me, Jermaine was a close second. Race is not an issue... They just weren't good enough.

March 5, 2010 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  6. rhonda

it is not a race issue. it's a crappy voice issue

March 5, 2010 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  7. rhonda

oops sorry it's not aaron its andrew. my mistake

March 5, 2010 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  8. rhonda

well america got 2 out of 4 right. haeley and jermaine were not that good. but michelle and andy? c'mon people. what show are you watching? TIM URBAN SUCKS period. That boy did make the cut the first time FOR A REASON. and Lacey..... where did her talent go. she was just awful this week. and last as well.

the talent pool in this group is shallow at best. bowersox, casey, little aaron, even lambert has a great voice if he can get past the nerves.

completely dissapointing season

March 5, 2010 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  9. Jazz Allen

4 minorities went home last night, I think two last week. 6 out of 8 of the people eliminated fall into a minority class. To the people who think race is not an issue just look at the numbers.

March 5, 2010 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  10. YEC

I don't think it was a race issue either, though I thought Lacey would have gone before Michelle. I like Lilly and Crystal, because there is a down-to-earth quality in their voices that isn't like Mariah-Whitney-Celine-Alicia, of which there is just too much today. I like Siobhan because she has a happy-go-lucky attitude, and she's quirky, which makes her more real. I think America and possibly the judges are looking for someone who is different from the divas. There are some good guys, but I don't think any of them fit the "quirky-different" label. I do think Casey and Lee show a lot of promise, though.

March 5, 2010 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  11. Elinor

Lacey or Didi should have gone before Michelle. And Tim should have gone before almost all of the guys who have left. However, this is Idol and this happens every year because the voting is done by the general public who know little about judging vocal talent.

I was happy to hear Simon's comment about being wrong about one contestant after listening to the show again Wed. night. It was clear that h was talking about Lilly and that he thought she wasn't as good as they had thought.

Crystal is the most talented singer there. The rest are fodder, if the voting goes as it should. For them to continue to say that this is the most talented group ever is ridiculous. The talent this year is slim.

March 5, 2010 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  12. show dog mom

To Sybaris: I completely agree. Keep your religion out of it!
    America got the weakest people off this week, and I agree for a change.

Now if we can get the "mouthy" ones off...what's with Ms. Dirtysox mouthing back at Ryan all the time? That is so NOT endearing....a very masculine habit. She's too street wise to be the Idol of America! No class, and too "rough/tough" around the edges.

March 5, 2010 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
  13. jj

America finally got it right! Now they can get down to business!

March 5, 2010 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
  14. Sybaris

Buh-bye Jermaine. Take your proselytizing self back to whatever fundie cult you came from. It's a singing contest, not a choir audition. Maybe if you had vested more time in improving your performance you wouldn't have "failed" to be advanced.

March 5, 2010 at 8:10 am | Report abuse |
  15. Jason

While it was a tough night for minorities, i truly believe tonight's outcome had very little to do w/ race.

I can assure you Big Mike will make it to the top 6 but Lee, Andrew, Crystal, and Lilly are this season's front runners.

March 5, 2010 at 7:47 am | Report abuse |
  16. Libra2849

Cut to the chase!! Save us weeks of boredom.. keep the 3 who have any talent at all.. and have a mass kick-off next week. Now, I would tune in for that. Otherwise.. see you Idol when there are 3 contestants left.. if they are the 3 I am thinking of.

March 5, 2010 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  17. Just A Thought

Michelle, was a good singer, and probably a bit premature to send her home. I think Lacey or DiDi will be next, regardless unless they really step it up.
    The girls last 3 will be SioBhan, Bowersox, and Katie – maybe Lily
    The Guys will be Dewyze, Big Mike, and Casey – maybe Aaron

March 5, 2010 at 6:47 am | Report abuse |
  18. Sherri

Honestly, do some of you HAVE to bring race into this? They sucked badly, accept it.

March 5, 2010 at 6:44 am | Report abuse |
  19. Just A Thought

Loray – it was a tough night for the contestants! This isn't a race competition. It's a singing competition; and these 4, didn't cut it; according to 27 Million "AMERICANS"!

March 5, 2010 at 6:40 am | Report abuse |
  20. Sherri

America definitely got it right this week. Of course, if Tim had gotten booted, or Andy Garcia, I would've said the same thing. Their turn will most likely be next week. I also think they got it right with the girls. For the guys, my favorites are Lee, definitely, and although he's really young and will not win, that Kelly kid....aaron or alex...he's very talented, and Idol is a great platform for him. For the girls, I really like didi. Kristen is good, and I actually like a couple other girls, as well. I just hope that Lee takes it all.

March 5, 2010 at 6:39 am | Report abuse |
  21. notanidolfan

American Idol? More like White Idol!

So big surprise, seems like America is a little racist voting off the minorities first. Obama backlash?

March 5, 2010 at 2:55 am | Report abuse |
  22. deb

I think America got it right too. Poor Haeley seems like a sweet kid but she just doesn't have it. I did think Didi would have gone, though, before Michelle. Michelle looks like she belongs on stage and has the right moves, pretty decent voice and the poise but just didn't have that extra something special or that originality. She seemed almost like a clone of lots of other decent singers. My favorites are Crystal, Siobhan, Lilly and Katelyn, in that order, at least for last night's performance.

And, no, I don't think it was a race thing like some people on this blog have suggested.

March 5, 2010 at 2:12 am | Report abuse |
  23. GAYLE

I love Haeley, but she needs to work on her lisp,
    to be taken seriously as a singer. i wish her the best.

i think Tim is this year Sanjaya, but Sanjaya
    was never this freaking insecure. I half expected Tim
    to pass out from fright when he was waiting on the results.
    Obviously he doesn't have the nerves to be a natural performer
    and needs to be taken out of his misery.

March 5, 2010 at 1:59 am | Report abuse |
  24. Galoux

Screw this silliness of race accusations. Every year, as soon as a minority person goes, someone hauls out the racist charge. Ridiculous and tiresome. Haeley's performance was dreadful. Sure, she seems like a nice girl, but so what? I felt bad for her tonight, but so what? She had the same shot anyone else did last night, and she blew it. She's just not that good. And last night she was awful.

Most of them this year, frankly, are not that good, not displaying as yet anything I'd pay to hear. Makes you really wonder about the auditions. Out of thousands, these are the ones with "star quality"? Really?

March 5, 2010 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
  25. melanie

for the record, casey is 27 years old...not a kid.

america got it right this week, let's hope they keep it up.

go alex, lee, and lilly!

March 4, 2010 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Rich, N.Y.

It is amazing how the minorities are getting voted off the show first.

March 4, 2010 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  27. MikeHunt

American Idol isn't that great this year. Not sure if it's the talent or the judges. Ellen seemed to pretty good at first, but she's already getting old. It's ok to admit you don't know what you're talking, but to stretch for a laugh every time is getting annoying. Kara just isnt Paula. I didnt know how good we had it when we had quirky Paula.

As as for the commentator for this board, i think you are doing great. If you're the same person that did it last year, you have shown some big time improvement. If you're new, then well, that explains it.

March 4, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Sam P

Lots of contestants have sung threw tears because they were leaving. Few would have totally butchered a song like that.

I don't think it's a race issue either.

March 4, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Jimmy G

All 4 deserved to go. Crystal B is the frontrunner ....she sure looked pregnant by the way. That would make for an interesting season.

March 4, 2010 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  30. chon

too bad for haley. But i agree she had a horrible performance tonight.

March 4, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  31. jimmy8

I had promised myself that I wouldn't watch Idol this season as I have gotten bored with the same old same old, then I switched it on this week out of curiosity; same old same old, and worse! Other than one guy and two girls, the rest are terrible. Now I'm switching off for good. Bye bye Idol, it was nice to know you.

March 4, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  32. protogere

Oh Loray, I don't think it's a race issue...really?

March 4, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Kate

damn, Idol got a lot whiter tonight.

March 4, 2010 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  34. michele

i am peed off that they attacked Haley about her smiling all the time....so what...if they look back that's all david archuleta did to and they didn't say a word about it....

March 4, 2010 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  35. judi

Haeley was crying her eyes out trying to sing, probably the worst night of her young life, give her a break. I totally agree it should have been Lacey, it is just stunning to me that everyone voted off was ethnic.

March 4, 2010 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  36. michele

ohhhhhhhhh and one more thing....bet your last dollar i bet its gonna be bowersox that wins...the judges seem to favour her the most...they already pretty well decided that from the first epidsode

March 4, 2010 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Sam P

Ouch my ears! That was awful and a very bad note (pardon the pun) for Haeley to leave on.

March 4, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  38. protogere

I am floored that in a line up between Lacey and Haeley that Lacey was spared! Lacey has been dreadful to hear, Haeley at least showed creativity. I agree that she needs a lot of experience but THEY put her through. The judges should have acknowledged her youth and inexperience before putting her through at Hollywood week.
    I want to cry for her. Poor kid.

March 4, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  39. michele

becuase the judges are not shocked or anything at who's staying or who got voted off

March 4, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  40. michele

you know the more and more i think about it...i really think that no matter how many people vote....the judging panel makes the final decsion behind closed doors....

March 4, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Loray White

tough night for African Americans....

March 4, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  42. protogere

Wow Michele, I hadn't heard that LoL I can't imagine not wearing my wedding rings just because it doesn't match my outfit. They aren't accessories, they are symbols of your love and commitment.
    I found it odd what was it last week when her husband was in the audience and they made this big point of calling that out and now this week she's just the 'cougar' and no rings and no hubby there in the crowd – at least not that they felt like pointing out.

March 4, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  43. chon

YAY michelle is gone. LOL. I do like her, but her presence is so... 3rd grade. She would be a great musical director for any high school, if that suited her. But i don't think she could do more than produce an album for R&B greatest hits by various artists.

March 4, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  44. protogere

I am so relieved for Didi!
    I don't know Lisa, I was not in the least bit surprised out of that bunch that Michelle was sent packing.
    Michelle has been all over the place and inconsistent. I wasn't impressed with her balladeer version of Creed's song. I'm glad that Kara stepped up to the plate and admitted it wasn't as good as she had praised her for last night.

March 4, 2010 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Loray White

oh they seriously got it wrong. Real surprised and disappointed that Michelle isn't going on. Bet Haley will be next. I guess Idol will put through another white girl this year.

March 4, 2010 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  46. chon

poor gokey but that reminds you of the awesome season last year

March 4, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  47. protogere

He does to me too Loray.

March 4, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  48. James S.

Sorry, but I'd much prefer to hear Tim Urban for another week over Jermaine or John. Both of them are just awful.

March 4, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  49. michele

hey pro at least they managed to shut her up for the last 30 minutes...i have noticed she hasn't been wearing her wedding rings...i saw an interview today when she was questioned on it..her answer was..the rings don't match my outfit...didn't look to see if she was wearing it tonight

March 4, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  50. protogere

Danny! He is such a joy to listen to. I love that little growl in his voice, it just interrupts that smooth tone and makes you grin. I just want to bottle that enthusiasm and optimism of his and keep it around for the bad days.

March 4, 2010 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Loray White

is it me or does garcia kinda remind you of gokey?

March 4, 2010 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Artful Dodger

Good! That head-too-big-for-his-feet Jermaine is out. And that Park too! It's a wonder he got this far!

March 4, 2010 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  53. chon

i adamantly disagree with sending John home. However i do agree with the results concerning the other guy... what's his name? Ok, to cynical, but I'm rooting for the girls this year.

March 4, 2010 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  54. ks

I think there are some really talented singers on the show but I think that the judges are majorly confusing this year. If I were a contestant I would have no idea what to sing next – I think the very harsh criticism every episode has made the good singers not perform how they normally would. It is not as fun to watch this season – in my opinion, because of the judges....it's a real downer when every person gets criticized for "picking the wrong song"

March 4, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Fallon Rocks

OMG...goodness thank God Alex is safe...i love this sweetie! Lee is a good singer good decision America! And I will give it another week for Andrew....and to Casey as well. :)

March 4, 2010 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  56. phox

One person went home too soon! fans got this one wrong

March 4, 2010 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  57. protogere

Jermaine and Tim were my two choices as worst, so I am glad to see that Andrew was at least spared.
    He does as you said, give God the glory, but I disagree with Jermaine as far as his belief that his mouth isn't getting him into trouble.
    These judges aren't your church goers who are appreciative of all joyful noises, these are people who sign record deals, write for performers, select performers for their show as entertainers and what is it Randy does?
    No, seriously though – they have the experience and when they try to tell these contestants what they are looking for, there is some truth and good advice buried in there and for him to dismiss it because they don't attend his church – yeah, that's a turn off.

March 4, 2010 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  58. protogere

Michele I'm with you. She's a married woman, he's a young kid and this is supposed to be a family show. I wish they'd leave it be instead of encouraging her distasteful fawning (I found a somewhat PC word to describe her behaviour!) over Casey.

March 4, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  59. protogere

I had a mile long rant ready if Todrick hadn't made the cut.
    I didn't see that one at all either Lisa, I cannot comprehend how Tim received better results than John. John was a bit shaky last night and as usual for those going home, he did a much better job tonight. I still cannot see how he is the lowest scoring of that five-some.

March 4, 2010 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  60. michele

ok Kara gave the biggest smile for casey....i don't trust this one bit....i won't say anymore.....

March 4, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Sam P

This isn't the first time Simon has made a comment about hearing something different when he watched it at home. It's happened previous years. So I don't think it has anything to do with comments made about this year's lack of talent.

March 4, 2010 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  62. protogere

Well and perhaps if he didn't tuck himself under the table while they performed.
    And Tim, safe again?! Ughhhh