March 4th, 2010

Did America get it right this week on 'Idol?'

testing captions
testing captions

*The following blog will contain spoilers about who's removed from "American Idol." You know the drill - if you don't want to know anything, stop reading now.

So we lost four more.

John Park, Jermaine Sellers, Michelle Delamor and Haeley Vaughn have crooned their last notes on "American Idol." Again this week I am two for four.

John and Michelle were surprises for me. Do you think the voters got it right this time around?

See who's been eliminated from the top 24 here

« Previous entry
  1. tony in connecticut

TIm Urban should be voted off unless he agrees to get a haircut.

Otherwise, they absolutely got it right. Jermaine was just annoying, Haeley is too young to be able to sing, Michelle and John were boring.

March 8, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Marie (Portland, Oregon)

Say what you will, but only half of the top 24 should even be there. I think they do it to extend programing. Then out of the top 12 you are lucky if you have 3 or 4 that are marketable. The music business is tough and only the exceptional performer can make a career of it. Think of all the performers that have come and gone over the years compared to those who are legendary.

As for the race issue...please! Talent has nothing to do with race. Now race may have something to do with opportunity. But with a program like Idol that is not an issue because they have leveled the playing field for everybody. Just look at how many wackos they have had to listen to in order to sort out the talent.

March 7, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Lora Jones

Definitely not a race issue. All 3 were terrible besides Michelle–I loved her creed rendition and wanted to hear her again. But I don't think she was good enough to win anyway.

March 5, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. moon627

FYI – when describing people i think the term ASIAN is better than referring to them as ORIENTAL like a rug

aside from that i disagree there is any truth to race discrimination on the show ... sometimes you just have to face the fact when you are not a good enough singer and it shows

i was a little disappointed to see Michelle go but the others were totally understandable and their runner ups can go next week

March 5, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Chris

Andrew Garcia, Start singing in tune!

March 5, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Brad Lane

I was also shocked at John Park and Michelle Delamor going but as with past years, when you have this many contestants, it really spreads the votes out, and I don't believe there may be as many voters as in seasons past. There are definitely singers in the top 20 who are quantitatively worse than either John or Michelle but I also don't believe either would have made it to the top ten.

March 5, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  7. CJ

I think Idol has lost it's WOW factor. I have been a previous Idol fan for years prior to this year. I was such a fan that my evenings when Idol was on was planned around the show. This year, I am not impressed at all with the talent or lack thereof and am no longer watching the show. Maybe the show has had its run and it might be time to bury it. Too many changes that have taken away from the show.

March 5, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  8. lynn

All I care about is getting Tim Urban OFF the show. He can't sing. He can't play the guitar. He can't sing and play the guitar at the same time. He has horrible stage presence. He can't perform. He's boring, boring, boring. He's not as adorable as Ellen thinks he is. He should have been kicked off after that horrible rendition of Apologize. I really don't think I can stomach one more performance by him.

March 5, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jazz Allen

&@Shpaget

I guess this is United nations Billboard Charts

March 5, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jazz Allen

@ Shpaget are you nuts??? United Nations because there were 6 blacks 3 hispanics 1 oriental.

If anything there should be more Minorites. Look at the Entertainers of fame Today.

March 5, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  11. shpaget

I will make one comment about the race issue – the race issue is in the contestants selected for the top 24...NOT about who America is voting out.

The top 24 looked more like United Nations Idol.

6 blacks
    3 hispanics
    1 oriental

I truly hope they weren't engaging in affirmative action here and truly put forth who they thought was the top 24...but it looks to me more like they were trying to appeal to EVERY possible demographic.

But the fact is, every person out of the competition so far has deserved it....I may have kept Tyler around...but he's not in the top 6 guys so he wasn't going to make top 12 anyway.

Race is not an issue in who is leaving – so far that seems to be truly performance based.

Race may have been an issue in how the top 24 was made.

March 5, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  12. kathy kent

this is not about one "race"against another its about talent,
    and yes,
    AMERICA and all voters got it right,
    as per the talent it will be a caucasian winner for sure, absolutely sure, , I will predict two girls in the finals! Crystal and Lilly

March 5, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  13. shpaget

At the risk of not being believed, those were the four I picked to go home (with Didi and Todrick as honorable mentions)

Michelle was absolutely atrocious on Wednesday, and I couldn't believe my ears when Simon and Kara liked her. She was off key almost the entire song.

I suspect that on Thursday, when Simon said he had made a mistake and had to turn off the TV when he heard the performances again, that he was talking about Michelle.

Anyone who says race is the issue is an idiot and they automatically lose their right to state their opinion.

March 5, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  14. UberSpork

I have to say, I have watched every season of Idol and am very disappointed this season. Usually by now, I have a favorite that I'm rooting for. I like Big Mike and Lily for the most part. And even they don't make me jump out of my seat.

Did the right ones go home last night. In my opinion, yes.

Also, I think the contestants are having a hard time this year because the judges are being so very confusing in their critiques.

March 5, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jazz Allen

I feel like Ive been censored because my posts arent appearing.

March 5, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  16. ASHLEY BAILEY

go paige go paige go go go paige!!!! I am so excited! Happy Sweet 16 Paige

March 5, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  17. NY Idol Fan

definitely agree with the picks – while Michelle seems really talented, the competition seemed to overwhelm her – unlike Crystal and Siobhan who don't seem to have any fear – Big Mike seems to be the most confident male performer at the moment, but don't think we have seen the best of Todrick or Alex Lambert yet – expecting big things out of both

so far Siobhan, Crystal, Lilly, and Big Mike have distinuished themselves

March 5, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Chris

Jermaine has been way better than both Todrick Hall and Andrew Garcia.
    The other 3 how-ever, based on their exit song performance, deserved to go and quickly!

March 5, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Donna G

Make it go AWAY. I hate AI..........it is NOT the same without Paula.

March 5, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  20. j.r.

This seasons contestants are anemic compared to SEVERAL previous seasons. Long before the top 24 many a good singer was left behind in favor of sound -a -likes and half talents.
    I can't remember a year when so many of them outright sang off-key in first weeks as this year (including supposed front-runners). Most of them are boring because they reflect exactly what's wrong in the music industry – unmemorable songs, cookie cutter artists (do we really need more Jason Mraz, John Mayer, James Morrison or Leona Lewis) and below par talent ripe for pro tools. A quick buck vs. long term development & talent.
    They might be singing, but few are connecting with the emotion of the words coming out of their mouths. I'm not typically one to judge the fashion, but even how some of them dress doesn't connect with the meaning of the song (wrong outfit again Kaitlyn, Michelle – it's not a cocktail party). Some have nice voices but are interchangeable with any h.s. chorus standout in America (Kattie & Aaron).
    I luv me some Adam Lambert, but credit should go to Bo Bice/Daughtry for being the one's to break the mold .....and thank g-d 'cause otherwise we wouldn't even have Crystal or Lily or Lee in the competition. The commonality is that they have talent to back 'em up and carry them through past the acceptable & generic.

March 5, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Nicole

Seriously people, do not make this into a racial thing. None of the contestants that were voted off last night would have won anyway. Not because of their race but because they were not the best singers, period. I was a little surprised by Michelle, but she wasn't that good the last two weeks

March 5, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Dan

The 4 whisked off last night is acceptable. IMO a couple of others have been fortunate to escape their just cut...but again, all in the hands of the voters.
    For the men, I like Lee and Alex so far. Andrew really needs a strong song next week...disappointing this past performance. Casey could be in it too. Michael delivered really well his last song. I'm seeing Tim make his overdue exit next week.
    The women...tougher because I like about 5 of them...Soibhan, my favorite, followed by Crystal, Lily, Katelyn and Paige(great voice but like Simon says, her past 2 performances aren't showing star quality; but I think the potential is there). Katie was a disappointment in her last delivery, but has a beautiful voice. Didi, sweet and cute voice...but the competition is tough for her to move on. Lacey should be next to say goodbye.

March 5, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Head Diva In Charge

I think Jermaine should have stayed and Tim should have gone. The biggest reason I want Tim gone is because I feel bad about him having to get beat up every week. It's true, he isn't that great, but it's not like I am getting up there singing! I mean he CAN sing....he just chooses not to....right?

March 5, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Concerned

So you people are telling me that Tim Urban, Didi, Lacy, and Alex have better voices and talent then those who were vote off? Now, i do agree with Haeley being vote off, but come on, Alex is shaking in his pants, can't sing; Lacy sounds like a cartoon character; Didi talks her songs; and well Tim should have never been brought back, and thats what most of you are saying. To me, the best females are Crystal and Paige. The best men are Garcia, Toddrick, and Dewyze (spelling?). Pretty boy Casey James get votes because of his looks, he is not as great as people say. Didi has picked horable songs but she stays around each week, how is that? Pretty blond, thats how.

March 5, 2010 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  25. Simple as that

Jermaine Sellers was expected to leave mainly because his attitude and talent didnt go together. John Park went home because he is Asian. He wasnt very good but there were worse singers. Asian only makes up 4% of US population. He would go home early anyway because he didnt get the idea of the right song choice but I thought it would be later. The two girls seemed like the right choices. Like someone mentioned earlier, AI is more of a popular contest which is probably the producer's intention because that will help drive the music sales (the winner = the most popular = sells more music)

March 5, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  26. Mama Bear

I was surprised to see Jermaine Sellars go, he is very honest with his answers," everything happens for a reason". Haely really did not do such of good job at all, and of course I did not like Michelle's version of the creed sung. John Park, wasn't really good anyway, I wasn't jumping out of my chair. Tim Urban is not a great singer but I think the younger audience like him, well his looks and his innocence "according to Ellen, she thinks he needs to try acting, because he cannot sing. And what's up with the judging this season, confusing the contestants on what to do every week. I am sort of confused...why can't the contestants sing older songs? Everything they sing don't have to be current, maybe because I am old fashion.

March 5, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  27. Michael

I think that Jermaine did it to himself. His performance was better than average, definitley enough to keep him around longer, as compared to a few of the other singers, but no one wants to vote for someone who insinuates that God will keep him there, regardless of other circumstances. I do belive that God can work personally in each of our lives, but I imagine that a lot of the folks who are voting get turned off when a contestant comes across as if he or she cannot lose simply because God is on his side. It's called "pride," and as we all know, "pride comes before a fall." It certainly did in this case! If John had sung as well on Tuesday as he did on Thursday, he would still be there, for sure! The two ladies who were voted off demonstrated extremely weak vocal abilities, which is why they were "let go," not because of their race. A great singer will last to the end, regardless of race. Remember, many of the Idol top 4, top 6 and two season winners were African Americans! It's not a race thing, if you can bring it, you'll stay. These four kids simply didn't bring it when it counted!

March 5, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  28. Me

Jazz Allen.............Get a hobby. I know you are the kind of person who wants to blame race for everything, but the bottom line is that white people will never be hung for what we did not personally do and the people who went home on AMerican Idol, including the whites, deserved it. So really, god bless you because if you go through like this, your gonna need it. By the way, if Jermaine took criticism about his performances and not took it to heart, then he would still be there.

March 5, 2010 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  29. Me

To latetha

It is not about a good story. It's about who has the best voice. The people who came out and were African Americans had the voice. Tell the jennifer hudsons of the world to audition then. By the way, she was not the biggest thing who came out of the show, maybe in acting but not singing. You have carrie underwood and chris daughtry there.

THIS IS NOT A RACE ISSUE. Hailey was beyond horrible that I couldn't even listen to her. Besides she was creepy with that smile through the whole song. Michelle butchered a creed song but yes, didnt deserve to go home, but alot of people, THAT ARE WHITE, are let go before they should be. That's just the name of the game. John Park, yes great voice, but boring beyong belief. Finally, Jermaine, I even forgot he was in the competition. Nothing stood out about him except that he made an excuse everytime they would tell him he needed to work on something. They were let go off of that. The reason why a person like Michael Lynch, who is black and still there, did not go home yet is because he has something the 3 that went home didn't have, a good voice and a great sence of direction on what songs to pick. Not everything has to be about race.

March 5, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  30. Mal

AMERICA GOT IT RIGHT!!!!
    i was 4 for 4 the last 2 weeks, and i'm glad we're sending people home that DESERVE to go.

i still believe the only people that really stand out to me is KAITLYNN and LEE! so far they are the only ones that have hope for winning.

March 5, 2010 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  31. Jazz Allen

I pray that God touches Jermaine Sellers and removes everything that is not like him, Amen>

March 5, 2010 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  32. Jason

people seem to forget that no one even knew who kris allen was until the top 12. every year is terrible up until the top 8 or so, when the singers really hit their stride.

Andrew Garcia, Lee DeWyze, Crystal Bowersox, Lilly Scott, Siobhan Magnus and dark horse Alex Lambert would make a ridiculously entertaining top 6.

about race – i actually really like Todrick and pull for him every week, I just don't think he has the talent to go all the way. same for big mike. it just comes down to talent.

March 5, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  33. Jason

I don't get why so many people diss on Didi...

I rank her 4th among the remaining 8 girls. Just b/c the judges compare her to Lilly minus the spunk doesn't mean she's bad. her voice is ridiculously good.

March 5, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  34. Kingjames

John was defently a good choice to vote off, for the last 2 weeks each song he sang i could barley understand him maybe cause of his asia accent i dont know but he was bad. Todrick shouldve been gone to he his horrible man america listen to him sing hes so bad. for the girls michele was a good choice to go home that creed song was so bad. didi staying was good she has a different kind of voice and thats whats needed this season. And finally miss lisssssssssssssssp is gone i dont even know why she was there cant all you dumb americans here her lisssssssssssssp. aaron and todrick willl be gone next week the only guys who have a chance are big mike and andrew the rest arent even in there league and for the girls if crystal doesnt win it you americans are idiots

March 5, 2010 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  35. arioflight

I don't know when the Idols will figure it out. Aerosmith, Creed, Three Doors Down do not translate well to this show. If a song is overplayed on the radio, like With Arms Wide Open, Don't Wanna Miss a Thing, WE THE FANS ARE TIRED OF IT. It's not about making it your own. I would love to see the stats on how many people went home, the day after they sang Aerosmith's Don't Wanna Miss a Thing! As for John Park, he had the opportunity to show style, and college student fun. Instead he bored us to tears. Jermaine Sellers had the WORST attitude I ever saw in my life. But sadly, that is typical Joliet attitude. When someone gets put down for their attitude, instead of accepting responsibility, they complain that God is with them, and they can handle all people that put them down. INSANE! Haeley was a cutie. I don't care what people say about her voice. She knows what she wants to do, and she will do it. I have no doubt that she will continue to work hard, and press on toward her goals.

March 5, 2010 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  36. Spoyald

You've got to be kidding!!!
    Race has nothing to do with it!!!!
    I'm white as you can get, blonde hair and blue eyes, and my favorites are Crystal and Paige.
    The contestants that got voted off couldn't sing very well. Michelle could sing but had a bad song choice. Haeley just couldn't sing and rode the cutesy thing as long as she could. Jermaine was O.K and John was boring.

Keep racism out of this. If they could sing, America would vote for them!!!!

March 5, 2010 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  37. john

Haley has a bad lisp.... let it be said, you all know it and hear it.

She caters her songs around that fact but you couldnt miss it with the slow spoken beginning of her song this week.

March 5, 2010 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  38. Jazz Allen

Out of the 8 people eliminated 6 have been Minorities. There is a race issue, and for those who want to use the demographic of minorities in America to xcplain the talent pool, Explain the the amount of minorites who are in Professional sports such as Football Baseball and Basketball. It makes no sense if you consider Blacks make up only 12.8 percent of this countries population.

March 5, 2010 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  39. Sugar

Definitely America did it right – next week – Didi for sure.

They ladies and gents need to step it up and avoid doing such boring songs!

Casey & Crystal are my favs, but honestly, Crystal – nix the dreadlocks and Casey – get a hair syle and cut.

March 5, 2010 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  40. Jazz Allen

Why do people always want to ignore the fact that people have cultural and racial biasis?

March 5, 2010 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  41. Renata

Get over yourselves and stop playing the race card here. Five Caucasians and three African Americans have came in first place in the shows history. Considering African Americans make up 13% of the entire US population I would say they have a pretty strong hold on AI. The fact of the matter is that nobody this season is "great" so it doesn't matter what order they are voted off in.

March 5, 2010 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  42. Teri D

Okay, okay... I get that the "American White-ol" comment was an attempt to claim as fact that the demographics of the show are not reflective of the demographics of America, so the name of the show should be changed specifically to "American White Girls Idol".

Clearly, Shoshanna is right, the show should have more minority voters than white voters. In fact, it would be much more accurate and much less offensive if it were called "Minority Idol". Since that would be more reflective of America.

Hmmm I wonder waht the demographics of America are...

According to the US Census website:

White = 79.8%
    Black = 12.8%
    The remainder = other races.

March 5, 2010 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  43. SwinerBock

What makes this season SEEM so bad is that the guys as a group are not cutting it. None of them individually have delivered consistently. If I had to pick a top 3 from among them, it would be Casey, Andrew and Big Mike, with Alex being a darkhorse. All 8 of the remaining girls either have been consistent, or they have identified themselves to the voters the kind of singer they want to be. It's too bad two of them have to go next week instead of four of the guys.

Predictions for next week: Tim and Todrick gone (with Aaron having an outside shot)...Lacey and Didi gone (with Katelyn having an outside shot).

March 5, 2010 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  44. Bear

I cannot believe the audacity of you people to play the race card! Get over it and vote if you want an ethnic to win – pretty sad that all you can focus on is color and not talent. Plus Latetha (OMG!-that name) cannot even spell or use proper grammar so that explains the race card! Ignorance breeds ignorance!

March 5, 2010 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  45. Mabou

Minority cards being played by some of you?
    OH PUHLEASE....

I guess you could complain that the judges are pro-minority then since there are so many minorities that made the top 24 this year.

It is simply the numbers. There are enough minorities in the mix that a night like this could happen. Four minorities got voted off, it is just a statistic, not prejudice.

Unfortunately for the african american singers, there is a propensity to have a similar singing style with soulful runs and vocal treatments. This is all good, except they nullify each others votes.

Keep in mind that it is America that is doing the voting. I vote for the best singers, not color of someone's skin. Do I think America got it right?
    Nope, at least not all right. The white kid (I don't recall his name at this point) who was brought back from missing the top 24 needs to go home... desperately.
    Haleigh was adorable, but she was not good enough and needed to go home.

Anyway, folks, let's keep this to commentary about the singers, not commentary about race.... The race thing is just silly.

March 5, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  46. John

First of all I am not sure what PROTOGERE means by week after week. Voting these people off JUST started. Sure there have been people kicked off but not through voting. And LORAY WHITE and WENHOTMAIL.COMDY you two are racist no doubt about it. So you tell me that because these people were voted off it isn't American. So now caucasions are not American. You people make me sick. In my opinion this is the worst season ever. Non of these kids can sing. The only exception is the one girl can't remember her name but she wore a dress during her performance that was pokka dot on top she was referred to as wierd by Simon. She can sing, out of all of them, the best.

March 5, 2010 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  47. Joel T.

I thought FOR SURE Didi was gone.
    Her performance was a train wreck at best.
    Hope she brings a new attitude this week or she really needs to go.

March 5, 2010 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  48. Teri D

Shoshanna... To your "American White-ol" comment and elaboration:

If I understand your reasoning, it is unacceptably racist for the results of a show to reflect the demographic of its viewers. So if there were a similar show on BET, would it be racist if black people were less likely to be voted off?

Your argument and many of the other "racist" arguments suggest that people should FIRST consider race, and then give those who are minority MORE consideration because race is some kind of "handicap" that needs to be pitied.

How insulting!

March 5, 2010 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  49. Kelly

I just wasn't surprised to see Michelle go. I really DID NOT like her Creed rendition of Arms Wide Open and I'm convinced that was who Simon was referring to when he said some contestants were given high praise, but after watching the show back, they weren't really that good. Kara said as much regarding Michelle's performance. I also thought the judges were ridiculously harsh on DiDi, as I just didn't think she was that bad! Not great, but certainly not deserving of the harsh comments from all four judges!! Which makes it very obvious that what they hear in the studio and what we hear through our t.v.'s at home, can at times, be VERY DIFFERENT!

March 5, 2010 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  50. roxanne

I believe that Hailey should have gone. I liked John this week. I thought that Tim was going. I did not think Michelle was that bad.

March 5, 2010 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  51. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

I think the judges got it wrong from the beginning leaving no room for voters to make a mistake.

March 5, 2010 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  52. Kelli

I love DiDi but she's going to be another Brooke White. I really love their voices but they didn't "bring it" so in that case I think it was wrong. Had they maybe left it between Katie and either DiDi or Michelle & Katie went – that would have seemed more right. As for the guys, I never really warmed to John so I'm so-so about him. Very happy Jermaine is gone. I liked him during auditions but he's really gotten on my nerves this last couple of weeks.
    Danny Gokey sounded awesome!

March 5, 2010 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  53. michele

everyone return to regular programming....casue the judges have already decided on Crystal Bowersox to win...no matter how many people phone vote in the judges decide in the end....your vote is just a little trick...

March 5, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  54. David

"This season's talent is the best yet". Remember hearing that? Well, this is probably one of the worst. The best talent in one season was Season 5.

Chris Daughtry (didn't win, should have, two albums over 5 million sold, third on American Idols list as most albums sold)
    Kellie Pickler
    Taylor Hicks
    Elliot Yamin
    Katherine McPhee
    Bucky Covington
    Mandisa
    Paris Bennett
    Ace Young
    Ayla Brown

They all released albums and/or had videos. The top 6 have had songs that were number one or in the top ten and most of that top 6 also had popular videos.

I don't think any of those this season would have made the top 24 of that season.

March 5, 2010 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  55. agonzalez

Sadly ,
    this show is a mockery . All it s does is set up foolish Americans to keep buying records preduced by the same people who run the show. The problem here is that not one of the singers on this show exhibits any real star quality . we are working with a bunch of mediocre talented karioke singers at best. or singers copying the styles of previous contestants from other years. Then the worst part is that these judges except for Randy , have no idea what real talent is.
    The whore Kara has no class and speaks like if she used to be a star instead of the wannabe that she is . Ellen judges so white , that riffing in between notes escapes her , so she calls it pitchy. No black contestant is safe . Simon doesnt see a Leona Lewis type anywhere
    here and is bored to death . The low is there isnt one great voice among the singers . AI is a popularity contest. Wheres Ted Mack when you need him?

March 5, 2010 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  56. Shoshanna

American White-ol. I'd bet the demographics on the voters are young white girls who prefer singers who look like them. Should re-name to American White Girls Idols, since this clearly ain't America voting.

March 5, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  57. Beth

First of all it doesn't have anything to do w/the race of the contestants...they are all poor singers!

March 5, 2010 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  58. Lucy R

I have turned idol off twice this year. Cara has made me throw up in my mouth several times. She is NOT Paula as she tries to be and she sits there and repeats everything everyone else has said. The singers are not that good this year. I have been a faithful watcher/fan of this show since it has come on and each year it gets worse, this year is terrible. I DO like Ellen though, she is real and not trying to act like someone she is not.

March 5, 2010 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  59. Teri D

YES... America got it absolutely right. I can't beleive anyone thought that Michelle had a good performance. It was awful!!

As far as the race thing.... Puh-leez people. Ya know, the more you cry racism for the sake of hearing yourself complain, the less impact it has when the accusation is actually warranted.

March 5, 2010 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  60. big buz

big mike has to gooooooooo .he thinks he is cool. ill bet he thinks he will win . getting bad vibbbbs .mike is a nice guy but he has to go.

March 5, 2010 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  61. Concerned

American IDOL is racist by design, African American and Others make up only 20-25 % of the US population. Whites make up the other 75-80%. So when "America" is voting for these people, and i don't care what anyone says, the majority will vote for people like theirselves or the music style they prefer. Therefore, i feel there will not be another African American or Other then Caucasion American Idol winner unless that minority contestant is overwelmingly superior to their competition. That is why the ones that won won.

March 5, 2010 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  62. kevin

One last thing...Paula should have stayed (And been paid properly), Kara is better than last year but still an usurper to Paula. I really like Ellen but dont know that she needs to be there, 3 judges seem to work just fine and finally on Simon leaving. The show will suffer greatly...but who they pick will determine whether I will continue to watch it. If Howard Stern is picked to replace him, there is no way at all that I will ever watch ANY part of that show again. Same with Perez Hilton. Both of them are freaks and have no place on Prime Time...

March 5, 2010 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  63. Joe in NJ

This has got to be the worst season ever. While some of the contestants are okay, I don't think there is a single one that is worthy of the title.

March 5, 2010 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  64. kevin

Roy March 5th, 2010 2:36 am ET

Yeah, maybe get the Sprite Dance off Judges (who were all African American by the way) to be judges, that way African Amercans can win.....oh wait, they voted a group of White girls to win the stomp off this year. Oh well, at least they will make sure an African American comes in second and gets an equal contract of course....

March 5, 2010 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
  65. kevin

Lathetha and Loray White – You and others like you are the main problem in this country. It should have nothing to do with Black or White. and I think past idol winners points to that. Does every year have to have an equal friggin quota? if you let one Black go, a white needs to go to even things out? Its a singing competition, period. I was actually rooting for Haeley. She was a very sweet girl (although the flowers had to go, lol). But she didnt perform. Two seasons ago, my main pick from very early on was Jordan Sparks. Its time to get over expectations of Affirmative action. All they care about on the show is quality singing. You cant sing, your gone. Period. I was dissapointed that Michelle and John went home, I thought both of them were going to do very well...but they didnt this week.

As far as last night, there were several who could have gone and those that were close this week, will probably go next. There are only a couple of girls and guys that seem to even have a chance at this point. Crystal, Katelyn, Sioban and Lilly for the girls and Michael, Casey, Lee and Andrew for the guys.

This season so far is very weak compared to last year. Personally I wanted the girl with the facial issues picked over most of the ones that are on now...oh well. guess its facial racism....

March 5, 2010 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  66. Flyin11

Defiantly right. It's only a matter of time for the rest to go. All 4 didn't sing great and I too appreciated Michelle Delamor's rendition of Creed's With Arms Wide Open beiang as I'm a Alternative Rock kind of guy and I do like Creed very much but she didn't bring enough emotion into it. That song has strong feeling for Scott Sapp as it's meaning is all about his son being born. She should have came out with pipes blazin on the song but didn't do it. Park wasn't a good singer, Haeley just chose the wrong songs and she didn't sing to her capacity this week as she too should have came out beltin, and this just wasn't the type of competiton for Jermaine as like he said, he's just a church singer. Nothing wrong with that but in American Idol it just doesn't get you far. All in all...The right choice and more will get voted off week to week. Just the nature of the beast and the pretenders will be seprated from the the fighters...

March 5, 2010 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
  67. marc

Hailey and Jermaine definitely needed to go. John didnt have a good week but Tim Urban definitely should've gone before him. Michelle was a surprise as well with the way a couple of the other girls have been really bad. I, honestly, have not been impressed with anyone, especially compared to last seasons cast. I think AI knows this and that is why they have tried to connect us all so much through "sad stories".

March 5, 2010 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  68. claudette h

the judges choose these singers in the first place. they promoted them to the top 24. Now who are the idiots? we need just three judges not four. too many commericals. the idol has lost it's flavour. bye!

March 5, 2010 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
  69. Just A Thought

Why is it always a race thing? I don't believe for a second that race had anything to do with who got voted off last night. In fact, I'd say the AA population by far out numbers the rest of the races in numbers. All they had to do was vote. But the ones that got voted off were not good at all; and apparantly 27 million American's agreed; exception was Michelle, I thought she was good just hadn't hit her stride yet. Maybe I should have voted!

March 5, 2010 at 6:29 am | Report abuse |
  70. Just A Thought

Lateha – Although Jennifer Hudson is surley a success story for AI, she does not have the sales of Kelly Clarkson, and certainly not Carrie Underwood! These two are by far the best as far as album sales are considered, and overall success.

March 5, 2010 at 6:17 am | Report abuse |
  71. vegan

There is one person to thank for potential front-runners leaving very early in the competition.

Adam Lambert.

Please let me explain.

Adam Lambert stood out last year as probably the only person in American Idol history to take ANY song, put a completely different spin on it, and make it his own. Last night's episode was the first episode I had seen since the end of the auditions, but it was clear to me that most of the contestants were trying WAY TOO HARD to emulate Adam Lambert. Some of the girls were making extremely poor song choices, believing that their versions would blow the judges away like Adam Lambert did. No. That didn't happen.

In my honest opinion, if some of these contestants want to get ahead in the competition, they really need to stick with genres they know best, pay close attention to the arrangements of the songs, don't try so hard, and BE THEMSELVES!

March 5, 2010 at 5:51 am | Report abuse |
  72. VM

Sad to see all minorities in the farewell line up.

March 5, 2010 at 5:38 am | Report abuse |
  73. Wilma

Some of them got their voice already but i think they still need more voice training coz many of them really have great voice!

March 5, 2010 at 5:29 am | Report abuse |
  74. Judy

By the way the show just simply sucks this year. BORING.....I don't even get through a whole hour anymore...I used to schedule by evenings around IDOL.....now I just don't care. Ellen was a deal breaker for me.

March 5, 2010 at 4:24 am | Report abuse |
  75. Judy

Half ..maybe even more of the people complaining don't even vote and then have the nerve to talk about minorities being axed undeservingly. If you have a favorite then support them...VOTE!!!!! Song choices are sending all of them home. They are not picking songs that showcase their vocal strengths. And most importantly...they need ALL of the judges to be experienced enough to give them good sound advice. ELLEN has NO business on the show. She has no musical background or talent!!!!! Other than Simon leaving she will be the reason why Idol loses more viewers.

March 5, 2010 at 4:22 am | Report abuse |
  76. john smith

I really found the results racist. All four who lost tonight were minority. Is that how Americans treat fellow citizens. If you are not white, you are less worthy. Several contestants were way bad than the ones who were sent home. Just because they were white, they stayed. It is really pathetic. It speaks volume about the viewers. Can't imagine I am one of them.

March 5, 2010 at 3:17 am | Report abuse |
  77. Bryan

I don't think contestants went home because of race. Next week 4 more will go home, and they will probably all be white (for the record I think it will be Didi, Alex, Tim and Katelyn). So what!

The reason 4 minorities were set home this week is because (1) they were weak singers (maybe not THE weakest, but still weak), and (2) because people did not vote for them. If you want to keep minorities on the show, vote for them and get your friends to vote for them.

March 5, 2010 at 3:06 am | Report abuse |
  78. isabel

I am mexican-american and have never believed that race has anything to do with who gets by and who gets cut. It boils down to commercialism. That's what the Simon's of the world are looking for. Who has the "whole package". But in the end, talent does win, because if we look at the past AI contestants that didn't come in first that were truely great singers like Jen Hudson, Daugherty etc.. they are the most successful. Bottom line, the best artists will end up the real winners in the long run. AI just gets them there faster.

March 5, 2010 at 3:04 am | Report abuse |
  79. okok

it's hard to believe people even watch this show, much less discuss it afterwards..

March 5, 2010 at 2:52 am | Report abuse |
  80. Roy

It doesnt matter how well people sing..what really matters is what sells the most. In the end America always votes for those who are really liked, and can be related to.
    If we notice all the contestants booted out were non-whites, and that makes me wonder if America should be even voting. Maybe there should be an expanded panel of judges that decide who gets to stay, and who has to go. Its crystal clear that there will be huge bias if the entire country (idol fans) votes- either racial/color/sexual orientation/sex etc.

March 5, 2010 at 2:36 am | Report abuse |
  81. kenny

America got it right, almost. John should have stayed one more week. America needed to get rid of Toddrick or Big Mike. They are awful. The only 2 male contestants worthy of being up there are Alex and Aaron. Crystal has it in the bag. There is no others that can touch her. Siobhan, Lilly Scott and Katelyn are the dark horses.

March 5, 2010 at 2:20 am | Report abuse |
  82. JV

Michell & John should have stayed. They were better than several who remain on the show, but who may be more whole family appeal. Unfortunately, the 'whole family' as doesn't always make the choices when buying music.

March 5, 2010 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  83. Cole

If anyone should be eliminated, it needs to be that Uncle Tom ninja – Randy Jackson!!! Black people don't talk like that with that "yo-yo dog b-s". Hood or not, we are still educated! Talk like you've been to school. And PS – can someone tell him to brush his bottom teeth??
    Watch the next episode and you won't be able to stop staring at how white his top teeth are compared to those yellow a** bottoms.
    Sorry folks for pointing it out... don't blame me for you watching nothing but that from here on out! I'm just a messenger.

March 5, 2010 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
  84. Ethi

I am sad for hailey and John park but I am so glad to see diddy. Big fan of her and she reminds me Brook in the past seasons during David cook. Crystal is unbelievable.

March 5, 2010 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
  85. Rockerchick

I understand why people would believe that American Idol is singling out minorities; three different minorities were cast off tonight: Asians, Hispanics and African Americans. The difference between that assumption and the truth is that American Idol is a singing competition and Jermaine/Haeley just dont have the right notes for the songs yet.

I was most upset to see both John Park and Michelle D leave because Michelle was okay but she wasnt terrible and John Park was improving. The guy had some serious potential! I really think he should have been given another chance :(

March 4, 2010 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  86. protogere

Edit: I overlooked the below

African American:
    Paris Bennett

Caucasian:
    Chris Daughtry

Other:
    Allison Iraheta

March 4, 2010 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  87. protogere

I don't know whether to just be shocked or disgusted that anyone would try to play a race card here. That's just sad to me that anyone of any race would see colour before talent or lack thereof.

African Americans who finished in the top 4 or better (*winner):

14-Justin Guarini

Other races who have finished in the to 4 or better:
    1-Jasmine Trias
    2-Diana DeGarmo
    3-David Archuleta
    4-Jason Castro

You'll have to bear with me on the 'other races' category as I had to look them up individually and those 4 claim Hispanic heritage, there may have been others I listed as 'Caucasian' who are Hispanic, but I just went off of what they claimed on their bios.

Nonetheless, it appears to me there has been a fairly even balance of finalists of every race but Hispanic, Asian and Middle Eastern and other distinctions too numerous to name – but between African American and Caucasian, I fail to see the disbalance being significant enough to toss about a race card.

March 4, 2010 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  88. donna

Yes, they got it right!

March 4, 2010 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Lorraine

Can any of these people put two sentences together?

March 4, 2010 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Callie

It's the Adam Lambert effect; nothing can compare to last year it was so over the top. Everyone after that seems so.....lackluster.

Has anyone noticed the judges are really mean earlier in the season this year? Kara has really started hammering people which surprises me because she was pretty nice last year. Maybe she is just starting to come into here own on the show.

I think the judges are being harsh because they are dissapointed that the voices aren't as good as they were last year. Allison Ireheta? No one like her this year (even though I do like Crystal Bowersox and that was before she got sick). I think the judges should be embarrassed because they picked this motley crew.....

March 4, 2010 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Adrian Cronauer

Latetha get real. That's a racist comment if I ever heard one. If they have talent they're on the show. "African American winners? African American audience? Were are the Fantasias and Jennifer Hudsons?" It's 'where' BTW. I think the show does a fair job at finding talent regardless of race, and that's the way it should be. Your last comment however is part correct:

"They just are not picking good people..." 'They' are the American public.

March 4, 2010 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  92. IdolFan

I stopped watching on both days that the men and women sang- This show is boring this year. None of the singers are amazing. Not sure how they all made it to the top except for Andrew Garcia. They are not bad singers but none are truly amazing. THe year that Fantasia won there were so many amazing female singers that you did not and could not have known who was going to win. IT is really different without Paula. But to be honest, no one is hititng high notes .. its just boring

March 4, 2010 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Jonalisa

No. John is talented.

March 4, 2010 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  94. vallary

Yes they there is some great talet on that show. it will pick up and get better than I think they will shine.

March 4, 2010 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  95. RAL

wenhotmail.comdy March 4th, 2010 9:22 pm ET

I cant believe what i just watch. Their was nothing american at all about all four minorities going home. Im done with the show. THis incident and the very weird ellen has DONE it for me.

Really?!? It had nothing to do with those people getting sent home because they were minorities but everything to do with them not being great singers....trying to turn it into a race issue is just ignorant and stupid

March 4, 2010 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  96. ang

i think Didi should be voted off instead of Michelle based on their performance this week...

Tim Urban should be voted off instead of John Park in my opinion...

but anyways, I'm so excited to see more of Crystal, Lily, Big Mike, and Alex performances next week :)

March 4, 2010 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Keshia

Seriousy? People think race had something to do with who went home? I think the voters were on point with all but John Park.....dude has potential and I am sorry to see him go. But thinking this is a race thing? Jermaine sounded awful and quite honestly – his attitude was unattractive. Hailey seems like such a sweet girl and will be a force to be reckoned with – after she gets some much needed training. Michelle – beautiful, but I don't think made a connection. If it would have been 4 white contestants.....would there be an uproar? Give the "race" thing a break, it's insulting.

March 4, 2010 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Latetha

I am not shock who went home, because they were not good at all. I am African American and I used to love the show, but they has lost most of their African American audience by putting singers on the show that does not relate to us. I mean were are the Fantasias and Jennifer Hudsons. Some people think that the show feel that they can not market African American winners. That is a bull, because most of the white winner are not doing anything like Taylor, David, and Kris. Jennifer Hudson is the biggest artist that came out of the show. They just are not picking good people to market in the music industry.

March 4, 2010 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Melinda_NYC

Absolutely, they got it right. Michelle gave a very weak rendition of the Creed song. She is not a powerhouse singer and I felt like thats what they were trying to sell her as. Haeley needs time to work on her vocals. BIG TIME! She's cute and bubbly but not a great singer. John was boring and had little stage presence and Jermaine was horrendous and has a bad attitude. The choice was right on.

March 4, 2010 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  100. John

This whole season is horrible..... Time for the Idol to go bye bye....

March 4, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  101. wbny

Another bad night for minorities on American Idol., although Jermaine and Haeley were definitely the bottom two performances.

March 4, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Jackson

Doesn't really matter who goes home because there are only five contestants that are worth listening too...Andrew Garcia, Crystal Bowersox, Lee Dewyze, Siobhan Magnus, and Katelyn Epperly. What they really should do is send two of the judges home...Idol would honestly be better with just Randy and Simon judging.

March 4, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Adrian Cronauer

Here's what it's going to boil down to... the following are by far the strongest voices/the most talent, mark my words:

Casey James and maybe Andrew Garcia for the men. This is as deep as the men go. There maybe talent in the remaining few but their nerves will get the best of them. Lee Dewyze and Alex Lambert have potential but lack experience and most certainly the confidence. Michael Lynche has uber-confidence but it's only because he could crush anybody that disagrees with him. He's got a great heart though.

Paige Miles and Crystal Bowersox for the women. The women runner ups are (in this order from best to worse) Lily Scott, Siobhan Magnus, Didi Benami and maybe maybe Katie Stevens. My prediction is that Siobhan Magnus and Lilly Scott will self destruct due to over confidence. Crystal Bowersox could very well do the same simply because she resists doing whatever it takes to grab the top spot – which is certainly within her grasp.

Cream rises to the top.

March 4, 2010 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  104. CW

Yes, America got it right,

March 4, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  105. mushymushroom

I appreciated Michelle's Creed rendition, but I don't feel that bad that she's voted off, Haeley on the other hand really has to go. John Park, I kind of like him, he seems to be a nice guy and he can sure sing, but for the two performances he did, he just did not deliver. Jermaine, I find him funny and he also has a great voice, BUT I guess he's confused and I cannot blame him...seriously...

March 4, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  106. wenhotmail.comdy

March 4, 2010 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  107. DMD

Think Michelle made a bold choice and unfortunately she just flat out didn't sing it as great as she could have. If she sounded awesome it would have been my favorite performance of the night.

Instead I thought she would just slide by for another week because of the effort.

March 4, 2010 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Loray White

On Haley, definitely. My verdict is still out on Jermaine, although John sounded much better going out tonight than he did last night.

Truly, it was a tough night for African Americans and I believe we'll probably have another caucasion winner this year unless the other two really step up their game and appeal to the judges and the voting audience.

March 4, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  109. protogere

I think there were some who should have went and didn't, namely Tim and Lacey who seem immune week after week. Perhaps they have a strong community back home voting for the irregardless of their performance.
    Jermaine was certainly a poor performer this week, but John? No. He didn't deserve the cut. Michelle I'm iffy on. She has a great voice but her performances just are so lackluster. She wasn't the worst though, not even in the bottom five I don't think. Though between her and Didi, yeah, I agreed with it. As for Haeley though, I feel sorry for her. She isn't great but she has tried, seriously tried to entertain and been unique.

March 4, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Sally in Chicago

Yep, the voters got it right. Michelle was a front runner and she blew it.

March 4, 2010 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |