March 3rd, 2010

The Top 10 ladies of 'Idol'

testing captions
testing captions

9:51 p.m.
- Siobhan Magnus was feeling less "Twin Peaks" to me tonight. She's an interesting girl though, that's for sure.

She did not have the pipes for Aretha Franklin's "Think." That song is all about the attitude, and despite the big note at the end the performance was just too ... nice.

Randy said it was "dope," which made me wonder if he was on that. I think these judges have been lulled into some type of weird trance where they are grasping for somebody, anybody to be fabulous.

*SIGH*

9:39 p.m. -Warning to my boss: I'm going to start bringing a coloring book to work. I remember that being a stress release for me back in the day, so Paige Miles may be on to something.

I like her voice, but it's always tricky to tackle a Kelly Clarkson song on "Idol." She brought some big notes though and that's what "Idol" loves. I didn't know that Kara wrote "Walk Away." The song is hot and Paige worked it out a little bit.

9:27 p.m. - They got that big piano out there quickly for Katelyn Epperly.

Minus the attempt to "connect" with us at home by staring longingly into the camera, her "The Scientist" was a great song choice for her. Nobody can do it like Coldplay's Chris Martin, but she did it justice.

I agree with Ellen that it was slow because DUH, it's a slow song. Ellen's humor was slow too. The unfunny jokes at the wrong time are just adding to the uncomfortable vibe of the show tonight.

9:17 p.m. -I think Sam Cooke's "A Change is Gonna Come" should be added to a list of songs like "At Last" that contestants are barred from singing.

The original version (with its incredible arrangement and vocal) is so powerful. Lilly Scott gets points for attempting it. She didn't smash it by any means. It was quirky and unique.But I didn't have the "moment" that Kara claimed. I wonder if Lilly is shining so much for some of the judges because there has been so much suckage thus far this season.

9:04 p.m. - I have a homeboy who I pray is watching "Idol" tonight. I used to torture him back in the day by singing Creed's "With Arms Wide Open." It's one of those songs that you either really like or it really annoys you.

Such a weird choice for Michelle Delamor. She should have stuck with an R&B vibe or something pop, instead of trying to make Creed funky/jazzy. It was just wrong on so many levels!

What were the judges listening to? Kara and Simon liked that? And a shout out to Vera Wang? Has the whole world gone mad?!

8:52 p.m. – Why is Seacrest stalking Didi Benami? He was watching her while she was watching the judges on Tuesday night? Creepy!

Former mascot Didi meowing before performances just begs mockery, but I won't go there. I wonder if people choose "Lean On Me" because it guarantees a hand clap that might distract from the actual singing.

This was one of the most boring versions of the song I have ever seen before in my life – even with her runs at the end. I've seen high school talent show versions of that song which were better than Didi's.

I do feel bad for her because I thought she was going to totally break down and swoon all over Seacrest.

And I think I'm catching the vibe of the judges: Randy speaks, Ellen nicely disagrees, Kara tries to build on what Randy just said and then Simon comes in with something brutal that the audience boos.

Is it me or is the judging sucking almost as bad as some of the singing?

8:42 p.m. - Katie Stevens is one of my favorites this season. I love the tone of her voice.

I do, however, need somebody to check her birth certificate to verify that she is a teen. She reminds me of Jo Jo with that "grownish" voice coming out of her little girl face. Plus I love the fact that she grabs the mike like she owns it.

I enjoyed her version of "Put Your Records On" once she warmed up to it. And please stop telling her to young it up! She has a sophisticated sound and she doesn't have to start singing Disney tracks for America to love her.

8:28 p.m. - Are we literally watching paint dry with Lacey Brown as she refurbishes furniture?

I smell a metaphor.

Note to contestants: do not take song choice advice from Kara. "Kiss Me" is a fun song and it seemed like it should have suited Lacey's voice. But there was a disconnect somewhere. Her voice didn't sound very strong or controlled.

She's a cute girl, but I don't see her as the next "American Idol."

P.S., I stand corrected in that Kara said Haeley had the "Alex Lambert effect." (Thanks Dana and Sam.). I am clearly yearning for Adam Lambert!

8:16 p.m. - I prayed that we would be able to avoid Miley Cyrus this season. Guess not.

Haeley Vaughn's mad face scared me - and I could have bet that she made hair accessories. There was a girl I went to college with who did the same thing and she always looked like something was growing out of the side of her head.

Haeley's version of "The Climb" was actually less country than I thought it was going to be. And it was bad.

And no, Kara didn't say she had the "Adam Lambert effect," did she? Here's what irritates me too - if she needs a year to "strengthen her instrument," as Kara said, why did the judges put her through to the Top 24?

Foolishness!

8:05 p.m. - I know the producers want us to learn more about the contestants but these little personal asides aren't doing much for me.

First up is MamaSox. I'm digging Crystal's vibe and she took "Long As I Can See the Light" to church. Like Big Mike last night, she set a nice tone for the beginning of the show. She connected with the song, it was authentic and I believed it.

The judges are practically kissing her feet. Ellen is really starting to bug me in that she is adding absolutely nothing in terms of critique.

1. Dana

You are welcome on the "Alex Lambert effect" thing....but s'okay....I'm missing him too as I yawn through this year's shows so far. Last year, at least there was something fun and different and wild to look forward to. Lovin' your blog....agree with so much!

March 5, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Keith

Seems to me that Ellen and Kara DioGuardi do not like each other
    Kara seems to be sitting closer to Simon ,And pays no attention to Ellen ,When Paula was there on A-Idol,, Kara always spoke to Paula
    I hope I am wrong ,But I do not think so.. By the way Ellen is doing very good .. Kara tries to act like Paula IMO ,I like Kara , I hope I can see things differently ,,Ellen looks very uncomfortable next to Kara
    And I know it is not Ellen's fault You all may not agree with me but ck it out
    Have a nice day !
    Keith

March 5, 2010 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  3. LittleJ

From top to bottom the women's performances were horrible. No one has the dynamism required to be anything more than a lounge act. I think this might be another 'Studdard' year.... *sigh*

March 4, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Cathy

Thank you for my DVD player. I can Zoom past all the crap, and most of the singing,,,,esp the guys!

March 4, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Eddie Velez

Am I the only one who thinks that they all SUCK?!?!?!?!

March 4, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Str8 outta TX

i believe i can answer many of the ?'s about why so and so is still competing.
    this world has gone on to where we actually care more about attractiveness than personality and talent.
    in other words, most of the U.S. could care less about how well somebody does something as long as they look good doing it.
    shallow!!!
    19/m/tx

March 4, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Dave in Connecticut

Siobhan Magnus put chills up my spine with that note she hit at the end of the song last night. It ran through my mind all day long. She definitely has a gift. Katey Stevens is from Ct, and was my favorite going into the competition, but Siobhan blew me away. I still want Katie to suceed but I can't stop thinking about Siobhan.

March 4, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Just A Thought

A Matlock greta idea! They SHOULD just hold up cards with numbers! No talking, just give them a dry erase board and thats it! Could probably do the show in 1 hour then!

March 4, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  9. michele

maybe someone should start a petition to have Paula brought back as a guest...they can have them do her songs and she can be a mentor

March 4, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Dave in Connecticut

Siobhan Magnus was spot on and I am picking her to go all the way for the girls. Lilly Scott and Mamasox and Katie Stevens are on my favorites list. I don't like Lacey (the fake redhead) because of her attitude and the fact shes off key when she sings. Haeley Vaughn's very cute, got a great smile but I really think she's lost in the midst of the talent around her and will be going home with Lacey.

March 4, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. A Matlock

I think the judges have lost it. I have watched this show faithfully since Carrie Underwood and have never heard such rubbish! They tell the contestants to "show us what kind of an artist you want to be, take a song and make it yours, be original." When they do that, they get slammed for it. I don't know how anyone can make any sense of what they are wanting. I am a musician and performer and have been for years, and I don't know what I would do for the judges. It seems that this year, if you are not in their radar of a potential "winner," it isn't gonna matter what you do, it won't suit them.

I love the show and will keep watching, but sometimes I just wish the judges would hold up cards like on "Dancing," but keep their mouth shut.

March 4, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  12. michele

Eugene i agree.....CNN is not posting my comment when i asked if Simon is getting married???... funny huh....well i sure hope its to Paula!!

March 4, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Eugene

I cannot stand Kara!!! Let's vote HER off.

March 4, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  14. starzzguitar

It's amazing to me that NONE of the men are any good. Maybe ONE guy has a chance. What were the judges thinking to put this bunch through? The girls are better, but NONE have STAR potential at all!
    NOBODY has charisma. Is anyone helping these poor people with song choice? They spend MILLIONS on judges salaries, but nothing on song help for the contestants as far as I can see or hear. Yes, and I'm tired of them having to sing "age apropriate" songs. Leave em alone. This season is REALLY BAD and Kara is obnoxious.

March 4, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  15. rdee

I think Katelyn doesn't get nearly enough props from the judges or the message boards. She is VERY strong vocally, looks natural on the stage and is generally like-able. She may not be as different as other contestants but she is gooood. Way better than Paige, no matter how loud she screams.

And, maybe I'm the only one in the world who feels this way, but I can't stand Katie. I feel like I was in show choir with 30 of her in high school. Yeah, she has a decent voice, but all she does is copy cat what she hears on the radio, and not always very well. She has no spark and is certainly not an "artist". Plus, she thinks that she is just too cute, in that obnoxious high school way. I was glad to see her get knocked down a peg.

Bowersox, Katelyn, Lilly, and Siobhan are in a whole different league than the others, glaringly obvious during recaps. And I hope the two other female spots in the top 12 go to Paige and Didi, who were both weak last night, but I think have some potential.

March 4, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  16. cricket

Can I just say "Thank you" to all of the posts that say Kara is annoying. I was afraid I was just suffering some serious PMS or something. I am so bothered by her constantly hanging on Simon i.e. practically sitting on his lap, rubbing his arm and her "look at me, I am teacher's pet" look whenever Simon says he agrees with her. Come on Kara....first is was Casey and now Simon. Well, I guess at least Simon is legal.

March 4, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  17. dg

Haeley has one of the most annoying faces, STOP SMILING. It looked like Ryan was all over Didi – from holding her wrist before she sang (creepy) to whispering in her ear afterward. Most of the 20 that are still on Idol could be voted off tonight and I would be happy. They all need lessons. And please tell Casey and Big Mike to check their egos at the door. Kara filled that kids head and made a fool of herself. What to do when the only person who tells them like it is, leaves next season (Simon). Ps, Didi, suck it up and stop crying already!

March 4, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  18. N Criscola

I was always an IDOL watcher, until now. I can no longer watch the show. I feel that Ellen does not have the background in music and entertainment to make good decisions.

I noticed when she got started on the panel, that it all became about the the judges and not the contestants. They talk so much about themselves it's unbelievable. I believe that Ellen's remarks were totally off, about clothes, shoes, and so forth. What about the voice, the music, the delivery.

I won't waste my time watching this show anymore.

March 4, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  19. jackmas

I agree that the show has run its course. So little talent - and that includes the judges. Simon should have left this year. Could Seacrest look any more detached? Will Jackson even make it to the end of this season? Who decided that Kara has a clue? And what rationale was behind Degeneres? What a joke. She is hopeless. Absolutely hopeless.

March 4, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  20. norez

The American Idol Drinking Game: Down a shot every time Ellen says "You have a great voice"/ "I really like your voice." She is terrible, brings nothing to the table.

This season all four judges project the mood of an after-school detention class. Most importantly, they seem to be contradicting their own advice to various contestants from just the week before. "Do something different" one week becomes "That wasn't really your style" this week.

(And on a side note, Siobhan and Crystal were the best of the bunch.)

March 4, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  21. robert

The girls were better than the guys but Ellen is just trying to give off that Paula vibe. Someone has to be the cheerleader of the group and it won't be Kara.

March 4, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Trish

I think Didi has a beautiful voice she just needs the right songs to showcase it. I don't want to see her leave yet.

March 4, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Joshua Weikel

I actually disagree with alot of stuff in this article, usually I think the Idol reveiws are dead on, but now I question it all together. I thought last night was probably the best show ever in the stage of 16/20/24...I don't think it's saying much, but I definitely don't think that some of these singers aren't getting the credit they deserve.

I was absolutely blown away by Siobhan, I was waiting for the comment from Simon that she had gone from the dark horse to a front runner. Can't decide if I liked her performance better, or Crystal's...I'm leaning toward Siobhan, but I think that might be because I've already come to expect greatness from Crystal.

I also thought both Lilly and Katelyn were great, Lilly more so, but I think they both nailed it.

I'll give honorable mention to Paige, I thought she was very good.

I could take or leave Katie, who I loved last week, and Michelle, who I hate overall, but I don't like that style in general.

I can't stand Haeley, she has to go...Didi and Lacey did nothing to deserve for them to hang around but one of them should. I think Lacey is better, but I think I prefer Didi, she reminds me alot of Brooke White, and I loved Brooke.

March 4, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Kaz

Crystal will win this year I hope! She is actually really good and different to the norm for AI.

Why, every year do you all want someone similar to the one that won the previous year?

Not all GOOD singers are great lookers, and yet that seems to be what Americans consider the best.

Crystal may not be the best looker in the show, but it isn't a beauty competition is it? It is a singing show.

The only thing that annoys me this year is the fact they so many want to play musical instruments! This spoils their singing.

But I do agree with the person who said that Kara is trying to replace Simon on AI. I too feel she is pumping herself up to be the main replacement for Simon. As for Ellen, what does she know about singing?

Go Crystal! And the best of the guys is Lee then Michael.

March 4, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  25. lisa

OMG, you hit the nail on the head for each of the contentants ( sorry if spelled the word wrong). This is the weakest Idol ever, none of the girls have that wow factor. And I'm totally with you on the judges, i think they know the girls have nothing going on and they need to come out looking like they actually know what they are doing. But they really don't! I'm so disappointed!!!

March 4, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  26. ali

Am I the only one who really likes Didi? Maybe my ears are pitchy...cause I thought we was right on!

Kara is much better and actually has clever things to say other than "I like you"

March 4, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Steve

Grace, I agree about Didi. Problem is, AI usually gets reduced to a belting contest. That's why unremarkable but powerful singers like Paige get praise heaped on them for hollering. It's also what causes singers like Didi to attempt to please the judges by singing away from their own strengths, like she did last night. Whether you agree with last season's outcome or not, people like Didi need to study what Chris did to contend with the likes of a forceful (and good) singer like Adam.

March 4, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Dean

This year is nothing compared to the past. I am a fan from the beginning and I am so dissappointed with this group, both guys and gals. Paige, although a cutie can't sing. Personality galore but the pipes are not there. Did they chose these contestants by looks or what? Certainally not on singing ability. During the try outs I heard many who topped these and they did not LOOK just right with maybe a disfigurement or so. The American Idol should not necessairly have to be a Ken or Barbie. Or do they?

March 4, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  29. deb

My favorites are Crystal, Lilly, Siobhan and Katelyn. All are very good and just need a little polishing. Lacey has a good voice but needs to step it up. Katie is "cute" and has a great voice but needs more edge. She is young and is not really an "artist" per se. She just knows how to sing. She still needs to figure out who she is and what kind of singer she wants to be. Most teens and young adults wouldn't want to listen to the songs she picks. She needs to make herself marketable. Michelle looks like she belongs up on the stage but, again, needs to step it up. She's not memorable. The other four are forgetable, in my humble opinion.

Randy is his usual, "yo dog", "dude", "pitchy", "wasn't good for me", self and is not particularly helpful. Ellen looks like a deer caught in the headlights and really just parrots what the others say. Kara and Simon are the only ones who seem to know what they are talking about.

March 4, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  30. DCrowdy

i actually think kara has been doing a GREAT job of critiquing and commenting. shes been giving good advice and feedback while telling it like it is. bravo!

im all for crystal, siobhan, and lilly. LOVE it.

March 4, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Polly

I think Idol is pretty pathetic this season! I think I'm done watching it.

March 4, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  32. Dorothy

Who are you, and do you have any musical training? I disagree with almost everything you say.

March 4, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  33. michael

When do they start up with the hideous video commercials for Ford? Nothing invalidates artistry like those Z list Sesame Street garbage spots that advertise cars to people who can't yet drive. Sorry Ford/A.I, seeing a 16 year old act like a well trained dog does not make me want to buy your product. I'd rather drive a Toyota near a cliff.

March 4, 2010 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  34. Ellen

I am very disappointed in Idol this season. I don't understand why the judges picked most of the contestants - and I REALLY don't understand why they are talking to them like they weren't the ones that put them through. I only watched for a bit last night - Hayley made me want to deafen myself. I won't be watching the results show either - because I don't care.

March 4, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  35. Debbie

I would guess that this is the last season of Idol, with Paula gone, Simon on his way out. Show is boring and I agree that all are struggling to find an IDOL. None of the contestants are that good to be an IDOL. Ellen struggles and her comments are all the same. I guess I will not finish watching it.

March 4, 2010 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  36. Carol

Crystal & Siobhan both are great. I can't stand Haeley, Lacey, and Lilly.

March 4, 2010 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  37. Linds

Crystal, Shioban, Katelyn, Katie and Lilly are all great singers and definitely have potential to win this year.

March 4, 2010 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  38. Joy

This season is aleady starting to bore me. The one person who had the "IT" factor they did not put through. We all who that was, don't we? If not let me tell you it was Angela Martin. I believe she would have set that show on fire. It seems to me that American Idol has not been as exciting as it used to be. The last time I actually watched a full season of American Idol was when Melinda Doolittle performed. I agree there isn't anyone I would pin the next American Idol tag on yet, but some have potential. It seems everytime during Hollywood week alot of the talented singers are passed by, where you are left with only a modicum of nice singers and once they are voted off, you are left with nothing. American Idol really needs to get it right. If the person needs more time to grow in their voice don't put them through, when you have those who have it now and don't need that much work. Stop building these people's talent up only to tear it down later.

March 4, 2010 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  39. Robin in SC

Has anyone else noticed that Kara is trying to turn into the female Simon, albeit with her own spin on how brutal the honesty is? Prediction: Kara will take the Simon chair next season, Ellen will morph into the "Paula" character, and Randy will offer consistency so that the judges "balance" returns to its original form for what will end up being the last season.

March 4, 2010 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  40. Paula MSR

Crystal by far the best – hope she remains healthy. Love Lilly and Shioban as well. But many of the other girls have a lot of talent; however the judges are destroying their confidence instead of mentoring them in order to help them reach their potential. One annoying thing, can't Kara sit in her own chair – she's freaking on top of Simon. So annoying.

March 4, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  41. kay

Worst ever american Idol ... total waste of time ... I simply blame judges for all this crap... after so many auditions this is what america got, no way america is much better than this and I seriously thinks they (judges) missed some real good talent

March 4, 2010 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  42. ms

Someone must have got through to Kara concerning her ludicrous behavior thoward Casey – if fact she over did the rating she gave him Tue. p.m. – it appeared she was trying too hard to obey her instructions- now if she could just leave Simon alone and stay in with her microphone in place of trying to sit in Simon's lap things would be a little better – what kind of message does this send to our young people, who make up a large portion of the audience – the judges either need to assign the songs to the singers or at least be consistent about what they expect from the contestants – WISHY-WASHY !!!!! Tie Kara's shoulders down and she couldn' t talk.

March 4, 2010 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  43. Andy

I really liked Crystal, Siobhan, Paige and Katie. Haeley has gotta go. I felt bad for Didi. I just don't get all of the love for Lilly,imo,she's too different.

March 4, 2010 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  44. ME

Oops. I mean "accolades", not allocades. It must be early.

March 4, 2010 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  45. ME

I also hate the fact that they are telling the 1 7 year old (forget her name) to keep going for younger songs. Do you they want her to sing bubble gum music? That would result in a singing career of about 4 years. She is smart to sing more mature songs.

March 4, 2010 at 8:10 am | Report abuse |
  46. ME

I think a lot of the participants are confused by what seems to be a new requirement this year. It is no longer a search for the best singer. It has become a search for who can be the most unique, while also singing well. Several of the girls were great last night and the judges would have them think that they were awful because they did not "make the song their own". Is it me, or is this a new requirement? It seems to me that in years past, contestants could sign a song very much like the original and receive allocades. Now if they sing like the original they are berated. Gimme a break. They will be original when they are singing their own songs.

March 4, 2010 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  47. mayr

the girls did ok, but Crystal was the best. the judges are all to harsh! used to be just Simon was mean, but honest. now all of them are so darn mean! and Simon looks bored! ALL THE TIME! Ellen is doing ok, but i wish she'd just be her funny self, and leave the harsh words for Simon, Kara is doing well, in that she makes relevant comments, and Randy is just Randy. IDK, it's not as much fun as years past. i liked it better when it was fun to watch. i think idol has jumped the shark.

March 4, 2010 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
  48. Just A Thought

I think all the contestants have been given some direction on which type of music style they should be pursuing, or the style that the judges see them singing. It's the singers job to figure out who they are and what kind of artist they want to be.

After a few more cuts, AI does in fact give them a theme/style song to choose from – motown, country, and some others, don't remember the rest. But the judges are looking for an artist that knows who they are , plus who is going to be marketable.

All of the contestants have voice coaches too, but again, it's the singers job to know who they are and what to sing.

March 4, 2010 at 6:23 am | Report abuse |
  49. theravingcritic

Haeley is absolutely too immature and sounds like a squealing pig about to die I don't know why she is in American Idol at All...I would bring Ashley Rodriguez back even though she wasn't too good but she's WAY better than Haeley & Lacey & Michelle has Got to GO...

The top in my opinion is Crystal, Lily and Siobhan ...maybe Paige as well she can sing well. Girls are taking it This year...Fellas are Weak sauce this year except for 2 that i think.

March 4, 2010 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
  50. Grace

Didi is my favorite, she reminds me of Brooke White from two years ago!

March 4, 2010 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
  51. Sherri

I think the women s*ck this year. I cannot even remember their names. Lee will win this season.

March 4, 2010 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
  52. Sherri

I've been reading Adrian's posts. I have to agree with almost everything he's been saying.

March 4, 2010 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  53. getinjiggy

women are farrr, better than the guys this season. guys seem like a bunch of wimps, the women have more soul...

March 3, 2010 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  54. whatthehellever

Paula was sweet, but spacey and I didn't really mind her antics. Kara and Simon are very distracting. I'm sure the contestants feel as tho they are getting a lot of advice from 2 judges who aren't paying attention and who are playing with each other during the entire performance. FOx need to separate them on the show, and afterwards they can get a room.

March 3, 2010 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Sam

Given all the criticisms over the years about the song choices. Why doesn't Idol make everyones life easier and give contestants songs to sing that suit their age, voice, etc? Or a list of songs to choose from. Narrow it down for them. Then of course they can "make it their own" if they want.

They seem to be keen on finding out what type of artist the contestants want to be, but honestly with so many choices of songs, I can see how it could be hard choosing the right one. Also given the age group, especially the lower end that makes it tougher.

I always have to laugh when they talk to contestants about not choosing songs too old for them and then they have Motown week etc.

March 3, 2010 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Nick

Everyone is being way to tough on this years group of singers...Remember its only the top 24, 20, ect. This group is way better than the years we were stuck with Sanjaya, Blake Lewis, or even Tatiana from last year. The best is yet to come out of this group...way more talent in the top 24 than any other year.

March 3, 2010 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  57. ShamanNora

Adrian – perhaps what you can't put your finger on about Kara is that Kara is mostly a fake, an INSECURE woman trying to be someone she isn't. And when she tells the singers to be real, I laugh because it's so rare that we see the real Kara, without the put on show. I'm sure most of it is because she needs to feel approved of, accepted, liked, loved, needed (yeah, that's my assumption and feeling). I see Kara as a wounded child.

March 3, 2010 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Joe Schmo

is it just me, or did Siobhan Magnus look just like Ally Sheedy in The Breakfast Club right after Molly Ringwald gave her that makeover at the end. Maybe i'm just dating myself...

March 3, 2010 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Steve

Craig has the correct top three. Lilly and Crystal had better be able to write, though, because they are going to be hard to market otherwise.

March 3, 2010 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Steve

Why is it that Paula can spend most of her tenure on AI inebriated to the point of incoherence, and you people think that Kara is being unprofessional for hamming it up by flirting on the air with a contestant? It was lame, and over the top, but if you don't think the production staff was egging her on, you're naive. She's a bit preachy and annoying, but has often been the only judge to try and give substantive critiques. Ellen is just shoehorning in jokes where they're not needed, Randy is completely arbitrary about whom he accuses of being "pitchy" (and does anybody remember how pitchy he was when he attempted to sing along last season on "Waiting for the World to Change"?), and Simon is just phoning it in.

March 3, 2010 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Yuna

Well, the girls were much better than the guys! My prediction for the top 4 and winner this year will be; 1- Crystal Bowersox; 2- Lily Scott; 3- Casey James; 4- Lee Dewyze. Why? Because they are the only 4 on Idol this year with Real, Raw, Talent; unlike the other contestants who look like they are trying too hard!

March 3, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  62. craig

Crystal blew them all off the stage. Lilly was good, katelyn was good, that is just about it.

March 3, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Teri D

Katelyn's performance was way too whiney... I liked Paige's performance. :)

March 3, 2010 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Brownivygal

I think this was my last time watching Idol for a bit. Maybe I'll tune in mid-season. I have too much homework to waste 2 hours on bad to mediocre to good performances. Regardless, i think only 2 or 3 have good vocals and stage presence.

March 3, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  65. protogere

I absolutely loved Siobhan's performance, I think her confidence and fearlessness is just so beautiful.
    Between her and Crystal, they were by far the strongest tonight in my opinion. With Katelyn in third.
    The other's were too many and too difficult to try to figure out who was the least enjoyable.

March 3, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  66. mushymushroom

To those who are saying that the judges are confusing, hell yeah you guys are correct! That's why I somehow agree on Jermaine last night when he asked the judges what exactly they want him to sing, like, what song exactly. Because they want originality, but when the contestant give them originality they'd say that they changed the song completely, of course it's supposed to change because how can it be an "their own" if it's the same thing as the original version. And if the contestants sing almost the same as the original version of the song, they'd go they didn't own the song blah blah...if I were one of the contestants I'd be damned too! But I guess, what the contestants should do to compensate their hurt feelings is just concentrate on what and who they really are and entertain the audience/voters afterall it's all about their votes now.

March 3, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Teri D

I thought Michelle's version of the Creed song was awful!

March 3, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  68. protogere

Oooo and the lovely Irish gal comes riding in on the dark horse!

March 3, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Loray White

Since the contestants are basically novices/newbies why is that they are not given suggestions in song choice? If they were thought to be so good as to be selected in the top 24, who is mentoring them in the early stages? Later, in the season, they are given genres to sing which in some way provides guidance.....wouldn't one think that we would get better performances if they were steered into songs that they were thought to be more suited for?

March 3, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  70. protogere

You saw Simon hiding out too Brownivygal? What was up with that? How the hell can he give honest feedback if he was under the table for half of it?

March 3, 2010 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  71. renee

I think this group is not very good I think Simon knows music he is right on,Kara is to much her comments are bad to the point of the same thing everytime, Randy knows music , hes good. Ellen is just someone who would have an opinion from watching the show at home she is okay.

March 3, 2010 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  72. protogere

I thought that was very bold of Paige to try a Kelly song, just because of the comparisons that are naturally going to be made and she just doesn't measure up. She's a great singer, but she just isn't as good as the original and when the original artist is kind of the show's namesake – well, eh. I do like how Paige strays so far from what you kind of expect a black woman to sing, she is really a good rocker which you just don't expect.
    That's very harsh criticism from Kara because a singer is NEVER going to sing from the writer's perspective – unless they were involved in the writing process. Why didn't Kara walk in during the rehearsals and give her two cents and say hey, when I wrote this song I was angry so be po'd during the song instead of being proud of walking away. I've done a lot of songwriting for my own personal method of venting and any time I have shared my work with people they always interpret it the way they can apply it to themselves. It's only natural.
    Why was Simon hiding under the table the whole time?

March 3, 2010 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Brownivygal

and why don't the AI judges pick the song if they're sooo frustrated with everyone's song choice?

March 3, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Brownivygal

Why wasn't Simon paying attention to Paige's performance?

And I think Paige sounded good but please, contestants, stay away from songs sung by former AI winners.

March 3, 2010 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  75. FL Boy

This season is horrible all around! The guys, the girls, the judges...ALL OF THEM!! I really miss Paula...wish Ellen would stay on her show...and wish Kara would just shut up!!

March 3, 2010 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  76. protogere

Katelyn's look is better than the 1980s street walker look of last week at least. I almost didn't recognize the song until she got to the chorus, but she did a nice rendition I thought. It was very heartfelt I thought.
    I said Ellen shut up already more times than I have for Kara all night in just this critique. Wow.

March 3, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Brownivygal

Why is Ellen like piggybacking on everything Randy's saying.

March 3, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  78. protogere

Adrian, I absolutely hated Kara all last season until the bikini moment and I thought maybe I had been wrong, she did have some talent and experience. And then this season happened. The words I want to use are inappropriate for this blog when describing Kara.

March 3, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  79. HammerOfJustice

Is it that difficult to find people that can sing anymore? I think I'd pay to have just about everyone on this season not sing. Absolutely brutal crap. Crystal is about the only one who might be worth a listen and even that's a stretch.

March 3, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  80. protogere

Oh thank you Lisa – I'm not alone! I kept waiting for ONE of the judges to stare incredulously at the others and say 'what! that was dreadful' but no, cat got his tongue and he played down the sincerity I was waiting for.

March 3, 2010 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Adrian Cronauer

One last thing before I make my wife dinner, there's something about Kara that I can't quite put my finger on. Something (or things) that I just don't care for. I'm sure she's successful and probably a good songwriter and has talent but she's about as annoying as Ryan Seacrest with her ludicrous mini-rants and how contestants performed and what they should do next... to the low class and low brow crush on Casey James. Once is fine but come on... it's way past old. And she is married. It is not very becoming and not a good example. Personally, I think it brings the show down a few notches not to mention it's a major distract from the guy's obvious talent. My wife gets moist when it's Casey's turn lol. He'll be a finalist.

March 3, 2010 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  82. craig

Lilly was good, but Crystal has blown all of them off the stage tonight. Other than those two, so far, the others are about average.

March 3, 2010 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Bob

Wow, Michelle Delamor killed that and not in a good way.

March 3, 2010 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  84. protogere

Oh dear lord Lilly, I don't have words to say for that. I don't know what the judges heard but it wasn't what came through my tv.

March 3, 2010 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  85. MICHELE

is kara married..she's no longer wearing her wedding ring.........

March 3, 2010 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Abbey

is it just me or is randy in a terrible mood tonight? Who flipped the bird to him on the way to the show???

March 3, 2010 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Sam

I enjoyed Lilly's performance!

I agree with the judges.

March 3, 2010 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Brownivygal

wow. I think Lily did EXCELLENT. If I closed my eyes, i would have thought I was listening to the radio. However.........i'm going to need her to comb her hair! lol

March 3, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Loray White

Lilly – She and Crystal have that uniqueness that is refreshing and appealing. Although, not my ideal vision of the next American Idol, I can certainly see them lasting until the last eight, hence, securing recording contracts

March 3, 2010 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Jake

didi was better then michelle. so far sox the best then katie then very sub par

March 3, 2010 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Ellie

Yep, she said 'Alex Lambert' effect in that people are rooting for her like they are rooting for him.

March 3, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Abbey

Pretty good performance for Michelle. not one of my favorites, shes just kind of forgettable for me. i just don't remember her week after week.....and wow simon thinks one of the girls is actually good other then crystal

March 3, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  93. protogere

Yeah Abbey, she was trying so hard not to. I think a lot of that probably falls back on her reason for competing too, she's brought it up a lot so I wonder if it is ever present on her mind.

March 3, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Sam

I like Kara too. She at least usually has some type of advice or constructive criticism to offer. Randy is annoying me this season and Ellen isn't doing it for me too much so far. Of course she's new and we are still getting to know her on AI.

March 3, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Abbey

awwww didi's performance on lean on me was not her best but was it only me who noticed her starting to cry? i think that just won her some sympathy votes because it worked for me

March 3, 2010 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  96. bella

and the judges liked it..??

March 3, 2010 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Loray White

michelle – I don't get the judges either. Change it, don't change it. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. Aside from Crystal, the only other voice that was steady tonight.

March 3, 2010 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  98. protogere

I did not like the gospel version of a Creed song – that just didn't work. Dear god. She dressed in a leather jacket, punkish gloves and rockish jewelry – looking like a biker's girl but then she sang and ruined the whole image. I love that song, but it needs the growl, it needs the roughness.

March 3, 2010 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  99. bella

um michelle is NOT good

March 3, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Abbey

meowing? really??? wow...haha

March 3, 2010 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  101. protogere

Adrian you are so correct as for the confusion with the messages from the judges.
    I adore Didi and I was rather disappointed when she said she was going to sing Lean On Me. That just isn't the song for this venue. Very disappointing.
    Did it look like Simon was going to jump across the table to anyone else?

March 3, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  102. LJ

Is it just me or does Didi look like actress Amy Smart?

March 3, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Loray White

Didi – she's gonna need someone to lean on tonight.

March 3, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  104. MICHELE

anyone else feel tension between kara and ellen??? they won't even look at each other.............please put kara at the end of the table

March 3, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  105. bella

I really like Kara....is that weird? I feel like she has constructive criticism and has valid advice, really sounding like she knows what she is talking about it. And I still like Crystal best so far...

March 3, 2010 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  106. protogere

But she is young Jake and her tapping into that is what will sell. Teens and young adults are the ones out buying music, she has to appeal to them and with her young age it could be an easy sell. But not if she sounds like well, like Ellen said, something you'd hear in the doctor's office.

March 3, 2010 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Adrian Cronauer

I'll take Ellen over Kara any day. If you think that any of the judges add any usable critique you are sorely mistaken. The only thing they add is drama and confusion. One says, "Change it up, make it your own." The next one says, 'The song was unrecognizable." Idol this season BLOWS. The early parts of the season that used to endear us to all the strange and incomprehensible talent was missing. What's happened to this show? Filler (read Ryan Seacrest). The format and gauntlet these contestants are forced to run is just plain stupid. Hundreds of thousands of contestants are boiled down to 90 or so... and then they are further reduced through personal performances and group? Group? And then there's Ryan Seacrest – the shows very worst asset. Bring back Paula... at least she was fun to watch and great looking to boot. And last but not least, who pulled Simon's teeth! One of the show's big draws was Simon's wicked tongue. Could Prozac be the answer?

Regarding the contestants, ladies for the win! It's the worst turnout of men in years.

March 3, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  108. MICHELE

Judi how getting rid of Kara altogether....lol

March 3, 2010 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  109. protogere

Katie reminds me of McPhee when she was early on in the show – she too was so young but sounded so mature. I still don't like Katie much, but she certainly sounded stronger this week, just not a 17 year old singer. I could see her doing really good with a Joss Stone song, she has that strong voice.

March 3, 2010 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Jake

Katie is awsome, these judges have to stop telling her to be young. The voice is to die for.

March 3, 2010 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  111. judi

PLEASE let Simon start the comments from now on!!

March 3, 2010 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  112. judi

Kara is killing this show for me. As well as the fact that so far only Crystal hasn't hurt my ears.

March 3, 2010 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  113. protogere

I think there is a delay Loray. I know I panic when it doesn't show up, no one in my house likes Idol and this is my only opportunity to interact with other addicts. :)

March 3, 2010 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  114. MICHELE

bring back paula..............omg............

March 3, 2010 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  115. craig

I thought Crystal was amazing tonight. She will be tough to beat after that performance

March 3, 2010 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Loray White

why aren't comments on this thread making it through moderation?

March 3, 2010 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  117. protogere

Her artistic talents appear pretty cool, maybe she should stick with that?
    Lacey should have been gone after that landslide last week and if she isn't gone after this butchering, I don't know what to say. I can't remember, but isn't she the one who did the nice bluesy Rosemary Clooney sound during the preliminaries? I seem to remember liking her at one point.

March 3, 2010 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Dana

Actually, Kara said "Alex Lambert effect" if I heard her correctly.

March 3, 2010 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Sam

I have to wonder if Randy is listening to the same as everyone else. He seems to be in his own world.

For the most part I like the song that Lacey sung and think she did a good job.

I also think that Simon made some good points.

March 3, 2010 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Brownivygal

Lacey should have been kicked out last week!!! Although, i thought she did much better this week. But I still don't think she has stage presence though.

March 3, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Loray White

Lacey Brown – karoke like....

March 3, 2010 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Sam

I think Kara said the Alex Lambert effect. I did a double take as well at first.

My thoughts were the same as you why put her threw to the top 24?

March 3, 2010 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Loray White

I agree. Haley was soooo bad. Sorry, but unless two others do worse, I think she's going home.

March 3, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  124. protogere

Haeley finally explains why she has to have a flower or bow twice the size of her head in her hair each day. I don't quite buy the "I don't know how to not smile hee hee" bit.
    The Climb is the only song of Miley's that I can tolerate and I must have heard something different than everyone else, I thought she did a good job.
    I kind of wondered that too though when Kara said you need a year to get stronger.

March 3, 2010 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  125. bella

I love Ellen! And i thought Crystal was great :)

March 3, 2010 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  126. protogere

I agree with you on Ellen, but she does provide a nice buffer for the antics of Kara. You know for all her flaws, Paula was never as classless with her flirting as Kara is with her attempting to fill that role. Revolting is the nicest word that comes to mind.
    Anyhow, I am so glad to see Crystal is doing better and I think she did a great job with that rendition! I love CCR and I really like her twist on it. I don't know that I agree with Simon's comparison of her strengths and chances to that of Kelly, but she certainly did a great job.

March 3, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |