March 3rd, 2010

'Idol' turns to the women

testing captions
testing captions

How will the women do on "American Idol"?

After an uneven set of performances by the men last night - with the bookends of Mike Lynche and Lee Dewyze standing out and the others ranging from decent to "why are you still on the show, Tim Urban?" - it's time for the ladies to take the stage. (They were supposed to appear Tuesday, but Crystal Bowersox's medical emergency pushed the performances to tonight.)

Let's see how they do. Last week, the ladies were better than the men - but that's not saying much. The men (some of them, anyway) improved this week; we'll see if the women can do the same.

As of late afternoon, reports were that Crystal Bowersox may still not be well enough to perform so we'll have to wait and see how it goes down. Not sure how "Idol" is going to handle this one.

Join CNN tonight and throughout the "American Idol" season as Lisa Respers France blogs live during the performance and result shows.

1. PJ

This season the judges really suck! They are the ones who picked these top 24 and now they are acting like they don't know where they came from. I also noticed that when one of the judges makes a comment the others except Simon follow. That is not a fair judgement, are they scared to speak they really feel? I think American needs to pick the judges next year.

March 4, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Eddie Velez

The girls rock on Idol this year!! Boys need some testicular fortitude!

March 4, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Just A Thought

I have to disagree – I'd say it's very equal between the guys and girsl. Both only have three that are worth listening too. SIOBHAN, CRYSTAL, and KATIE the Guys DEWYZE, CASEY< and ANDREW. Oh wait – no that I write it out, guys are better, the 16 yr old Guy and TODRICK are pretty good too!

March 4, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  4. robert

The women are definitely better than the men but with few exceptions that's not saying much. Without Simon, Idol might not make it.

March 4, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Str8 Outta Tx

i believe i can answer many of the ?'s about why so and so is still competing.
    this world has gone on to where we actually care more about attractiveness than personality and talent.
    in other words, most of the U.S. could care less about how well somebody does something as long as they look good doing it.
    shallow!!!
    19/m/tx

March 4, 2010 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  6. Dean

Why is Haeley still on this show?. She is cute as a button but she just can't sing. This year it seems that all the women were chosen for their looks and not the talent. In the try outs I saw many that did not make it, not because they could not sing, but because they did not fit the cute, pretty, good body criteria. Dissappointed in Idol this year. If it does not change – this show will come to an end soon.

March 4, 2010 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  7. Linda

Simon looks bored, Ellen is not a great addition, the Dawg ain't barkin
    and Kara is no Paula. The contestants are lacking...can you tell I'm losing interest. When Simon goes..maybe the show should go too.

March 4, 2010 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  8. EB

One more thing.... why is Kara always leaning all over Simon – trying to be Paula. Pleez!

March 4, 2010 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
  9. EB

Totally agree with everything. I have been an avid fan for all 9 seasons. I have to say that I am ready to throw in the towel. The judging is yuck and the contestants are so so. My favorite is Katie Stevens. Her voice is awesome. I think the judges contradict themselves at all turns. Young it up (last time I checked Michael Buble was young); Don't young it up. Make up your mind. Thank goodness for DVR. I just watch the singing and blow out everything else. And, yes I too noticed Ryan all over Didi. At least she may get a date out of the whole thing cause I think she is going home tonight. By the way, I love reading your commentary.

March 4, 2010 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
  10. Just A Thought

Haley, was not on tonight, she sang the song but, I agreed with the judges, there was no connection to the song to me. Just semed like she was going thru the motions, no feeling or sincerity in her voice. I didn't like her last week, and this week was no better.

AS for overall singers – we haven't had a Carrie or Kelly since what? Season 3 or 4? Personally, I thought last years season was much more exciting with Adam, and the rocker girl, and that gruop! The duet that Adam and the girl sang was awesome! I think last season was AI's best! Adam would have won if he had kept his personal life, personal.

March 4, 2010 at 6:32 am | Report abuse |
  11. DE LONG

Crystal rocks on the girls side and Michael on the boys side...

in closing Simon is overall disgusting and needs to resign now why wait for the end of the season don't let the door hit you in your back side. Ellen, tries to blend in as an idol judge but with minimal musical experience it's obvious she's taking advice from others and sounds like a broken record...

March 4, 2010 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
  12. SDTim

Yeah... I agree with most of you here. So far, I'm disappointed. When I think of other seasons' "week 2" performances, there were clearly WAY more talentent contestants than this bunch. I keep thinking, "Really, out of the thousands of people they auditioned, THIS was the best group of 24?!" I've been saying I may not watch the rest of the season, too... I think i'll give it one or two more weeks, but if there isn't a drastic improvement, I'll just have to read the reviews online and get 5 hours of my life back every week! :-)

March 4, 2010 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  13. The other Kacey

Kara sucks!! Kara sucks!!! She is so ridiculus with her comments I want to hit her!! And Ellen with her "you have a great voice" comments once a second is getting stale really quick!! Oh Im so over Idol!! I just can't watch it with the judges idiotic comments!!!

March 3, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Sam

Karasucks – Kara was not the sole person making the decision. Don't try to make it sound like she had responsibility. From your name I see you don't like Kara, but Kara was only 1 vote out of 4.

March 3, 2010 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Loray White

Katie Stevens – more youthful, but better in her upper register. Hey Randy, we're thinking alike.

March 3, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  16. karasucks

exactly SAM cause Kara is wellllllll....has no brains

March 3, 2010 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Brownivygal

Really? I thought Haeley did okay. don't think she was that bad.

again, i'm wondering if AI gives them voice lessons outside of the show. the contestants can't "naturally" get better without some help. and it's clear that this line of contestants need help.

March 3, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Sam

Ok, if Haeley isn't really ready yet and has pitch issues etc and all the stuff Kara said, why did they choose her to be on the show?

March 3, 2010 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Loray White

haley wa sooooo pitchy. Sorry.

March 3, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  20. judi

couldn't agree more karasucks, I think even Ryan is over her. I was so glad he made the "uncofmortable" statement because it has definitely become icky to watch her try to flirt with Simon and the blonde guy.

March 3, 2010 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Sam

The guys were hot last night? Was Randy listening to the same show we did last night?

March 3, 2010 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  22. karasucks

as soon as they asked why kara was sitting so close to simon i changed the channel....yup i'm done with idol....can't stand her......

March 3, 2010 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Rblaz

Sing Crystal! The show must go on!

March 3, 2010 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Sylvia

the guys are ok. they aren't so gooood, but they're ok
    i wish paula was back,

March 3, 2010 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  25. protogere

I hope Crystal is better, whether she can perform or not – for her childs' sake I hope she is well.

March 3, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Artful Dodger

Crystal was my favourite last week. Reminded me of Janis Joplin. I certainly hope she'll be well enough to perform today...

March 3, 2010 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Jeremy

Where is all the talent at this year? Where are the Kelly's and Carrie's at? It just seems like the talent is lacking this year...BIG TIME!

March 3, 2010 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Kay

This season's talent really has stunked! I can't remember the last time, that a bunch of contestants were this bad! Ugh!! I don't know if I will be sticking around for the whole season if the singers continue on this terrible path of not singing well. I do believe this will be the last season for American Idol, you can't replace Simon!

March 3, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Holly

I do agree the PVR has been a blessing or i would have shut it off. Hopefully when we get down to the final 10 we see amazing talent . I do believe it is there. I must say I think Ellen is an amazing addition to the show. She is real and has some fun but not over the top. Although with this being Simon's last season I don't think American Idol will survive. It is a dog eat dog business and 99% of the time he is on the money.

March 3, 2010 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Marnie

Crystal along with Haely are my least favorite girls, so who cares is Crystal comes back. At least I won't have to look at those teeth!

March 3, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Shaman Nora

Wow, what happened to all the other comments posted here?

March 3, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Stain

The talent pool seems to be drying up. That, along with Simon leaving could spell the end of Idol. Simon obvioulsy understands Idol limited shelf life, otherwise he would be staying. I am debating contiuning to watch this season. Thank god for DVR, or I would not be able to sit through it this year

March 3, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |