March 2nd, 2010

Update on rapper Guru

testing captions
testing captions

Fans have eagerly been awaiting word on the condition of Guru, a founding member of the rap group Gang Starr.

Rumors flew fast and furiously on the Internet after it was reported Monday that the rapper was to undergo surgery following lapsing into a coma.

On Tuesday, the 43-year-old rapper's partner in rhyme, DJ Premier, tweeted some encouraging news. "Good news: #guru surgery was successful, keep sending him love," a post on DJ Premier's Twitter account said.

1. rap music

You recognize thus significantly in terms of this subject, produced me for my part consider it from so many various angles. Its like women and men aren't interested until it is something to accomplish with Girl gaga! Your own stuffs nice. Always handle it up!

May 16, 2012 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. J. Guide

To speedy recovery to the long seeded Guru and his health, good blessings and wellness.

March 6, 2010 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
  3. Major Thomas Jr.

I am very glad to hear that Guru's surgery went alright. He is one of my top five favorite MC's of all time in Hip-hop history!My prayers goes out to him, Gangstarr foundation, & his family. Get well Big Brother!

March 3, 2010 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  4. Major Thomas Jr.

I am very glad to hear that Guru's surgery went alright. He is one of my top five favorite MC's of all time in Hip-hop history!Mt prayers goes out to him, Gangstarr foundation, & his family. Get well Big Brother!

March 3, 2010 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  5. R. Santucci

Get well soon and Hope to see a new GangStarr CD in 2010 it's been too long. Artist like GURU and KRS-One are the ones that keep true hip-hop alive. Not like mostly the crap that is put out now. Pray for GURU!

March 2, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Nitin212

I been a big fan for many years. I even got a chance to meet him at Smoking Groves back in 96 in Ohio. Great artist. Get better soon my brother !!

March 2, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Dani in AZ

Don't know who he is, but hope he gets well

March 2, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Scyrcrow

Huge fan of the jazzmatazz series. Extremely talented lyricist with a fantastic delivery.

My very best to him – and to those that love him.

March 2, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mike A.

Get well, Guru. If you have any appreciation for music (no matter the genre) then you understand the talent of this man. In particular, Guru and Premier together are top 5 all time rapper/DJ combo, IMHO.

March 2, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  10. 412QueenMajesty

Wonderful news! I'm glad he's pullin through and is expected to make a full recovery. Wishing nothin but the best...

March 2, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  11. mistamista

I just heard about this a few hours ago and began playing my old school Gang Starr songs. Will keep you in my prayers Guru. God is watching over you.

March 2, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. sooze

Ghetto!!!!

@DJ Birddog – learn how to spell

March 2, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Deep Throat

omg im so sad that is good he almost died jk i hope all is well hope ur recovery is smoother than butter

March 2, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  14. AJ

I hope Guru pulls though this. 43 is normally too young for a massive heart attack (if there were no lingering factors). But as I experienced being diagnosed with colon cancer at age 30...nothing can be perceived as normal.

March 2, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Reality Speaks

“It’s O.K. though, ‘cause from gray skies come blue…Thru darkness comes light and I be known as the Guru.”

March 2, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Nick

awesome that he is doing better. just goes to show that it can happen to anybody at anytime. we cant lose another great r&b singer or hip hop artist to things like this.

March 2, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  17. shalonndramarie

Thank you, for that update I have been looking for an update on him all morning,Im really happy to hear that. I have him in my prayers, God Bless.

March 2, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  18. dj birddog

Guru stickman get right cuz because I'm a dj and I love to blend all of gang star stuff. These rappers today can't rap like the old school rappers and guru is a good old school rapper. Get well cuz.

March 2, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  19. TRACY J

I am praying that he recovers. What a talent, let this be a wake up call to all, make an appojntment with your doctor or if you don't have a doctor any medical professional and get yourself checked out. You only get one life!!!

March 2, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  20. luci

@Doug...so you wish this man ill will because you dont like what he does for a living??? Any by your measure, rock and country would be nonexistent because it was "ripped off" from blues and gospel. Yes, rap music uses samples but the words are definitely not sampled, so step outside of your own little box and do some research. Cheers!

March 2, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Sincere

@ Doug...

It's blatantly obvious that you're not familiar with Guru. Nor are you familiar with simple respect for your fellow man. Please refrain from commenting on topics that you possess no practical knowledge on.

As far as rap is concerned, if it's such a talentless practice then let me know when you're going to hear your CD. I'm sure customers will be lining up at the door to buy it. It's so amusing to me that people who know nothing of the genre are so quick to label it's practitioners as talentless but would know 16 bars if it slapped them and crapped in their lap...

March 2, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Butterbean

JustBreathe, I'm watching for my husband's eating habits as well as my own. I think that we all learned through our mothers to cook your vegetables with meat for flavor believing that it would be good enough to pass as healthy eating. Haha.

Get well soon, Guru! And keep putting out your Jazzmatazz series!

March 2, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  23. hansolar

Gifted
    Unlimited
    Rhymes
    Universal
    . . .this brother is my favorite rapper /lyricsist . . .i pray for his speedily recovery. i'll continue playin' his jamz to include, "ABOVE THE CLOUDS"

March 2, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Pop

As a heart blockage survivor, I suggest to EVERYONE, that is 40 and over , to ask there doctor for a stress test. See this is not something that is required, but its the best way to detect any heart blockage big or small..see some, like myself, was able to go day to day with a 90% blockage(for the Grace), and others die with a lower percentage. I know in the age of copay, and sometimes lack of insurance, this 5-10 mins out of your day could save your life...And Just Because you are athletic, does not mean you are exempt, Tim Russert(RIP) was active and still have a heart attack...Request to Live Longer, Request A Stress Test...!!

March 2, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Pop

March 2, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  26. J. Love

Sorry to hear about your Father, B.

March 2, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  27. JustBreathe

I don't know his medical history, but your question, V. Brown, is a good reason to speak about heart disease. Unfortunately African American males are 30% more likely to have heart disease than white and Latino males. I fuss at my husband constantly about changing his eating habits and watching his cholesterol. He is 39yrs old and just doesn't seem to take this seriously.

Al Sharpton recently spoke about weight loss on a VH-1 special and put having a healthy lifestyle into perspective. He talked about how insane it is to grow up in a dangerous neighborhood, full of violence, etc, but then sit down at a table and kill yourself (with food). Of course, not everyone grows up in a violent neighborhood, but I thought he made a good point about how much control we have over our own bodies. Please, PLEASE, go to the doctor and take care of yourselves fellas! We don't need to loose anymore young men this way.

March 2, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  28. B. Avent

For MANY years, the performer has been actively working in a very fast paced and stressful enviroment... You don't have 2 have ANY prior history of a heart malfunction to go into cardiac arrest! My father went into arrest and passed away 9 yrs. ago. He had NO prior heart problems.

March 2, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  29. J.Crobuzon

My dad was 38. Heart attacks aren't an 'old man' thing.

March 2, 2010 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  30. V. Brown

Good news to hear that the surgery was successful. Hope his condition continues to improve. But out of all the blogs, news reports, etc., that I've come across on the Internet, I have not heard/read ONE THING about what caused him to go into cardiac arrest/have a heart attack in the first place?

DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHY THIS HAPPENED IN THE FIRST PLACE? Was he already dealing with an pre-existing health problem? Was it medicine? Or did he just suddenly go into cardiac arrest with no history prior? What led to this is what I am asking. Anybody know why this happened at all? 43 year old men just don't commonly have heart attacks......

March 2, 2010 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |