March 2nd, 2010

The Top 10 men take the stage

testing captions
testing captions

9:51 p.m. - I forgot all about "Mr. Nice Guy" Lee Dewyze.

I need him to never, ever wear that crazy hat again.

His version of Hinder's "Lips of an Angel" reminded me of Counting Crows' Adam Duritz with a little Chris Daughtry thrown in. I thought it was a really good performance. Who knew? If he would just get some swagger, he could be a serious contender.

Do we have a dark horse in Lee?

9:40 p.m. - I really want to cut Tim Urban's hair.

Something about it makes me either want to tousle it or hack it off.

"Come On Get Higher" by Matt Nathanson initially seemed like a bad choice for Tim, but honestly I think this is the best this guy has to offer. He's really just an OK singer; he lucked out when someone else was disqualified.

I felt like he was in the exact opposite position of Andrew Garcia, who I wish had picked up his guitar. Tim should have put his down and focused on the singing. Ellen put it out there that if he were on "Glee" he'd have a shot? Really? No way. Those kids on "Glee" can blow.

And is Simon really impressed or is he trying some Jedi mind trick where he says Tim is good in hopes that the audience rebels? If Urban is safe again this week I'm going to flip out. No lie.

9:30 p.m. -The thing about having a young contestant like Aaron Kelly is that they are so unformed that it's hard to criticize them.

Aaron is only 16 years old and with that being said, his version of "My Girl" was sweet and a tad bit more confident than I expected. It was an actual performance and his voice only started to fade the last few notes. It's as if he was saying to the rest of the contestants "Don't count the baby out!"

You just know the young girls are getting their texting fingers ready to vote for that kid!

9:19 p.m. - I should have known by Andrew Garcia's glasses that he was a breakdancer. That's some straight B-boy style right there.

I LOVE JAMES MORRISON! "You Give Me Something" was my ring tone for the longest. I thought Andrew was going to rock this song, but it initially seemed like he was struggling with the notes at points.

I'm confused. This kid had so much promise early on, but I feel like we are watching Andrew implode. I'm sad!

9:12 p.m. - I'm impressed with Ellen's knowledge of Frankie Beverly and Maze. And Jermaine better be praying that he's back next week. If he had as much performance ability as he does back talk for the judges he'd be the man!

9:07 p.m.- I could have done without Jermaine Sellers' "onesie." That image will haunt me for days to come as will his "I rocks the onesie" line.

And Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" is one of those sacred songs that you really shouldn't touch unless you are a master. Jermaine ain't there yet. Maybe he needs to revisit that steam mask or whatever he uses to "open up." Plus I was distracted by all the faces and eye drama he was giving.

8:54 p.m. - Todrick Hall wants to be like Paula Abdul?

That's not very high for a singer to aim. I love me some Paula, but I wouldn't classify what she does as "singing."

Todrick picks "What's Love Got to Do With It" and it's a strange choice. Of all the songs that you could take to smooth out, a Tina Turner jam ain't one of 'em. His voice is so much better than his song choice this week. That performance was unfortunate.

8:41 p.m. -Poor Alex Lambert.

Who goes on national television and admits to throwing up before a performance? Perhaps he is going for the sympathy vote. And that invented language of his needs some work.

"Everybody Knows" by John Legend is a great song and Lambert's version was unique. I think he took the song and made it his own in such a way that anyone not familiar with the original was probably grooving along. For me it was a little weird, but not horrible – especially compared to his performance last week.

Now if he could only lose the mullet.

8:30 p.m. – Casey James never watched "Idol" before? Yeah, right!

Plenty of people don't watch TV, but with the Internet there is so much access to clips that I find it hard to believe that he didn't check out the show before he tried out.  Full disclosure: Gavin DeGraw's "I Don't Want To Be" is not one of my favorite songs.

And in this case, I enjoyed Casey's guitar playing more than I did his voice, which seemed like it wasn't strong enough to take on the notes. I dug the Prince-like playing towards the end of the song, though (other folks here probably heard Hendrix like Randy did, but I thought Prince).

And what is up with Ellen loving everybody's look?

8:18 p.m. – I like John Park. He just seems really earnest and sweet.

He takes on "Gravity" by John Mayer and from the first note I was thinking "wrong song choice again John." I know he was trying to show off his smoothness, but this selection didn't do it for me.

I think John needs to step up his game if he is going to try and be soulful.  And for once I agree with the pitchy comments and Kara's gripe that he didn't connect with the song. Once again Simon threw a body blow letting John know he thinks he's on his way out this week.

8:02 p.m. – Why is Randy now on the end of the judges?

The musical chairs with the judges must end. Kara has her hair down and she's already annoying me with the constant neck action as she speaks. Just don't get that chick.

We get some background info on Big Mike Lynche and he was into both theater and football in high school. I can see that. Plus, that dude is crazy strong! I don't think I have ever seen anyone lift someone else like that.

Big Mike takes on the James Brown classic "It's a Man's Man's Man's World." Interesting choice. On one hand, I like the throwback vibe. On the other, it just reminds me how much I miss the originals. Big Mike sang it well though. We are off to a better start this week and Randy gives him a standing "O."

« Previous entry
  1. Dean

Hey why do my posts get deleted? I don't get it? I am truthful and don't sugar coat my comments but they never make it through. Does the truth hurt the sensors? Give me some details on why my posts don't make it. Thanks

March 4, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. mushymushroom

My fave performance is Lee's. I'm not really a fan of Hinder but his version was insane! I lurvvvvd it!

And way to go Alex!!!! He's soooo adorable! I'm so rooting for this kid, I want to give him a hug right now for a job well done! :)

I have this massive crush on Casey, and I was impressed with his guitar skills, I sure know he sings so good, I hope next week he'll showcase it again.

I really wanted to see more on Andrew, I'm kind of expecting more from him. And that Jermaine guy, he seems fun, hope he stays because I love his positivity.

On Tim Urban, his hair rocks..! I also think that he should be given another chance...and I miss Tyler...

March 3, 2010 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jimmy G

I'm sorry Aaron Kelly. It's not your singing that bugs me. It's the fact that you look like Rachel Maddow's (MSNBC) twin.

March 3, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  4. moon627

i'm still holding out hope that Andrew will do better

love Casey even if he cant sing he's still good to look at

so far Lee is coming out on top of the rest of these guys

March 3, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Chris

Last week left me doubtful that there was anyone worthy of winning the AI title, but so far this week the guys pulled it out. Sure, there were the duds that didn't grab me (sorry John, Andrew, and Jermaine) and the mediocres (Tim, Aaron, and Alex). I thought there were a few standouts: I know the Judges completely hated Todric's "What's Love Got To Do With It" but I thought that he really showed off what he was capable of. In the world of AI it's better to be creative and go down in flames than to play it safe and be boring. I also enjoyed Casey. I appreciate his musicanship, though his vocals were a little off I thought that there was a real energy to his performance. Best of the night in my opinion was Lee who just seems to have a very marketable voice. True, his stage presence needs some work but that is something that you can learn and develop with practice. I wonder if the ladies will rebound like the men? Hmmm...gonna have to wait and find out!

March 3, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Susan

Ellen was better last night, but is still not a good fit. I do give her credit, though, for at least trying to be a better judge.

How is it all of the contestants are subpar compared to other years? Is it possible their performances are being negatively impacted (whether consciously or sub-consciously) by all the chaos with Ellen joining the show, Paula leaving, and Simon soon to be leaving and his bored/disinterested attitude? Just a thought.

March 3, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  7. teresa, oh

I think its great that so many gay males made it into the top ten.

I did not find ONE SINGER last night that stands out in the least... not one.

I really like the job Ellen is doing... even if some say she isnt qualified... she still has ears : )

recap on the guys: half are trying WAY too hard to showcase their vocal range and are destroying the songs in the process. Most are very forgetable. ( i cannot recall ONE song from any of them) And the other half are totally surprised they are still on idol. ( as am I )

March 3, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Louisiana Guy

Lee Dewyze is good, but why does he look like some guy stopping by 7-Eleven to pick up a 6-pack? Somebody needs to turn a water hose on him .... and wash him off .... real good. A few pounds would help. Otherwise, he might be the One ....

Casey is the only one that looks like an "American Idol?"

Is looking like an "American Idol" important?

March 3, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. pat kennedy

Kara ... why is she spilling all over Simon during the broadcast?? She sits shoulder to shoulder with him ... and it almost looks like she is madly enthralled with him. Enough Kara ... act your age and just critique these kids – please !!

March 3, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  10. LondonOrchid

The guy named Todrick – he was exceptional. The only thing I can figure is he must have sounded different in person and it’s the reason all the judges said something negative. I would have never thought of giving a soulful, jazz version of “What’s Love Got to Do with It?” It was great and he was phenomenal.

March 3, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Kathy Baumann

I love Ellen but she knows nothing about voices I think they should pick some one different for the job Simon is also not that great he needs to go I have never heard him sing or do any thing but be negtive

March 3, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  12. suzyljank

I thought last night show was a train wreck. Please tell me where the talent is? As far as the judges go, they don't. I never thought I'd miss Paula but there was a chemistry there that is sorely lacking now. This doesn't even seem like the same show. Can't wait for Simon's X Factor because I think without him Idol is finished.

March 3, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Summer

I feel Kara went negative on Casey last night because she is annoyed at everyone getting on her about being a cougar and going gaga over him - so she tried to dial it down a bit. Although he WAS disappointing as were most of the guys. Loved Mike, and Lee is growing on me. I don't think John Park is going to be around much longer. Hopefully the girls step it up tonight.

March 3, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Tina

Did anyone else think that Cara was so tough on Casey because she's realized she looked like an obsessed teeny bopper who bordered on sexual harassment.? Not for nothing, but if one of the male judges acted that way toward a female contestant people would be all over it. She lost any credibility she had for me. Sounded a little bitter. I liked Casey's performance (even though there were a few rought spots). Andrew Garcia has been really disappointing to me. Song choices that haven't paid off. I thought he was the best singer in the thing, but he's letting me down...

March 3, 2010 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  15. Hugh01

I think this show has seen it's time .. it seems the talent in America is finally at a watered down stage and getting worse, the guys are really not that good, sorry.

March 3, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  16. Chelle

I never thought I would say this as I have been an AI fan since the first season.....but I think I am done with the show. It is boring, predictable....and just not worth my time anymore. I switched channels about half way through last night and never went back.

March 3, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  17. run4u

Give me Casey anytime. . . .the whole package. . . . .but he needs to be a crooner, not a rocker. . . . . .and give me Lee. . . . . .too very different men but awesome in totality.
    This from a Carolina gal.

March 3, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  18. Joel

For me, it's almost good-bye AI. The show is boring–are these really the top 20 in the red, white, and blue? There is nobody I want to see. Ellen adds nothing. Kara put Casey "back two steps" in an embarassingly clumsy attempt to show she doesn't covet the blond hunk. Simon had it dead on when he asked Kara if Casey "hadn't returned her calls last week". What will AI have left when Simon leaves? They've driven the show to the ground. Oh well, there's still Damages to watch.

March 3, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  19. Kathy

Kara is totally annoying ~ Hey Hey Paula, come back ! And Ellen ~ who knew? She is doing a great job ~ But with Simon leaving, this is the last season for me ~ Bring on the X-Factor !

March 3, 2010 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  20. ALEX FAN

Are you kidding me people? Based on the actual VOCALS... Alex Lambert has the most Unique and Incredible VOICE... yes he has nerves... but who wouldn't put into that situation? Listen to the original John Legend song... and you will Note that Alex put something Unique in it...and made it so much more amazing then the original. Listen to VOCALS people.

March 3, 2010 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  21. Gayle

Ellen starting to pull it together give her credit Hate mongers. Nobody liked Kara at first either, wait a minute they still don't, sorry.

I just wish, Kara would stop trying to give Simon a Lap dance. I am expecting him to fall off his chair, trying to get away from her.
    I think he's been remarkable civil.

Back to E. i think she's right about Tim Urban, he is adorable cute.
    Leave his hair alone, the only flaw he has is his voice, nobody perfect.

Who needs a hair fixin is Alex, someone needs to hold him down.

March 3, 2010 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  22. robert

I think that John maybe going home.

March 3, 2010 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  23. Benjamin Lee

Andrew Garcia (the toad) – lost a fan -me! I'm still not a fan of Big Mike but he's got his Top 10 spot reserved because his vocals last night were the most superior. Lee...commercial (and nice) voice, edgy eye candy but he just lacks the star power. Personally, he gained a fan. For him to win, he needs a gay guy for the entire nation to vote against to move him ahead. Everyone else – I don't care but I really wish the guy who rearranges song (badly) for the sake of doing it (Tina's song butcher) and the one after him – Mr. "So tell me what song shall I sing next"...why are they even there? Very underwhelming lot this year – we were just spoiled after last year's bouquet of stars in the making!

March 3, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  24. Sam

Alex and Lee great? I wouldn't go that far. Both had pitch problems. They have potential, but I sure don't consider them great.

March 3, 2010 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  25. The other Kacey

I agree with some here about the judges conflicting comments. I wish someone would tell them that they are doing this as to not confuse the contestants anymore. What I do to determine the ability of the singers is what Simon says is the "WOW" factor. I think that is what the judges believe they are missing in the singers and they are explaining it in their own way. However, they are causing confusion and the singers are hampered by it. Everytime I watch a singer, I guage the song by the hair going up on my neck. It is a viseral feeling and it is a feeling nothing tangable. I got none of that with any of the contestants this year.

March 3, 2010 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
  26. Just A Thought

I thought Lee Dewyze was a dark horse starting out, but now He does indeed have a voice I could listen too! I think he is the top among the guys right now!

Big Mike was good, but his song choice is kind of outdated for me, I'd like to hear him sing something more current. Something I can relate too you know.

Casey, that song was not doing it for me, He needs to come back strong.

I think Lee, Urban, and Jermaine are in trouble.

March 3, 2010 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  27. Just A Thought

The one thing that's driving me crazy is the judges!! One minute it's you changed the song too much, don't change the song just sing....Then just a few singers later....you need to change the song and make it your own. Which is it?? Make up your minds already!!

The song Andrew Garcia sang – Straight Up – was totally different than the original and the judges are always talking about that! They contradict themselves through the whole show!

I think Todrick did a good job with his song, and liked the version. I'm not saying it was star power, but still good as most of the others, better than a few.

March 3, 2010 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  28. Artful Dodger

Aaron looks like Ellen's twin...

March 3, 2010 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
  29. CarolC

I liked Michael this week. I liked the song and how he sang it.

March 3, 2010 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
  30. Suzanne

And, I'm really enjoying Ellen! I think she's fun and lightens things up a bit before Cara and Simon, which is nice for those of us watching with kids.

March 3, 2010 at 7:19 am | Report abuse |
  31. Lollie

I thought this was supposed to be a telented bunch. They all are so boring.

March 3, 2010 at 7:18 am | Report abuse |
  32. Suzanne

Loved Lee Dewyze! He's got a little bit of David Cook-esque to him, which is great!

March 3, 2010 at 7:16 am | Report abuse |
  33. Kimmbo

Lisa, Randy was put on the end because Eeee did not want to be the first one to talk. She was afraid to be wrong, so she asked to change.
    She needed to get a yard stick from other judge befroe she spoke so sshe would not have to far off the mark. She is useless and should not be there. She told some contestants to be more confident, but did nnot see her own lack of confident. What a joke. This show should close early and give a refund back to the advertisers.

March 3, 2010 at 5:27 am | Report abuse |
  34. Sherri

A Dark Horse in Lee? Are you KIDDING me?? He's the very best voice in the entire 24.......

March 3, 2010 at 3:36 am | Report abuse |
  35. Gayle

Lisa Cnn, writer comments, make me wonder if we
    were watching the same channel?

Lee Dewyze, Alex Lambert voices are great! finally some talent
    thought, they both need work...granted.

They are newbies & learning the ropes in front of
    some pretty tough judges.

Jermaine Sellers' and Todrick Hall were in my opinion
    in for a tie for worst singers. don't know which one tried harder to murder their classic songs.

March 3, 2010 at 2:08 am | Report abuse |
  36. Memphis88

Lee sounds too much like these fake wanna be rockers that we have way too many of today. It was fitting that he chose a Hinder song because Hinder absolutely sucks. If they want a guy whose music career would last a couple years tops then they should make sure he wins.

March 2, 2010 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Sam

I believe Idol is in trouble this season. The talent seems very weak. They got the looks but just about all of them seem to lack the strong vocals & nerves. I was also shocked why Kara doesn't wear a wedding ring. I was suprised when her husband was there. A bit disappointed. She is a knockout & has a great Bod which she proved to Bikini Girl last season. I love Simon because he tells it like it is. Favorites to this point seems like Casey & Mike.Good Luck & bring it!

March 2, 2010 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Sam

Big Mike was definitely the best performance overall.

Lee would have been really good had he not been so pitchy at points. I think his nerves got him. I see potential there. Good song choice for him had he been able to totally pull it off.

Let's hope the ladies are better tomorrow. Otherwise it's going to be hard to keep watching AI.

March 2, 2010 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Still love Adam

Hey, I love Frankie Beverly and Maze, have all that I could find they have recorded...and agreed with Ellen on that point. Wouldn't it be great if FB & Maze would guest?

March 2, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Mike

I think Lee Dewyze is the one to look out for.. he's an amazing singer!

March 2, 2010 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Still love Adam

Ok, better all around. Big guy, guy with the glasses, cute guy and last guy who sang....the best for me. Big guy...Big Mike...first name I've remembered this season...best one of them all tonight for me. Not Adam...not even close

March 2, 2010 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  42. protogere

Big Mike in my opinion set the bar high tonight and was the only one who was thoroughly better than the rest as far as song choice, tone and performance.
    Tim was again the worst – who the heck is voting for this guy? Is VFTW pulling for him or something?

March 2, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  43. protogere

Lee has a good voice when he hits the right notes and he picks really good songs and arrangements for his voice. Oh if he'd only just stay in key. His nerves showed the way he gripped that mic, that's the bad thing, his guitar has been his crutch and now he doesn't know what to do with his hands. But it was nice to see him march through nonetheless. Hopefully he gets another week, I think he definitely could be a dark horse here Lisa!

March 2, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  44. tiredofsnow

2nd best performance of the night-Lee!

March 2, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Brownivygal

Definitely pitch problems but really like his beginning.

Someone, please tell me how AI helps them get better? Do they receive voice lessons? They keep talking about growth, but do they provide the tools besides the criticism of the judges????

March 2, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  46. protogere

I'd like to know why Tim was brought back, why he is still here and while his prayers may have been answered with this additional chance, I hope mine are answered this Thursday. It was another nice song that he vocally butchered. Lisa I was kind of wondering if Simon was trying that angle too to get this guy off the show.

March 2, 2010 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  47. tiredofsnow

not feelin it tim urban...

March 2, 2010 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  48. protogere

My Girl is the song for every boy who hasn't gotten his big boy voice yet – ugh. Anything but this song could have made me happier. And such a let down from last week's Rascall Flatts sound, Aaron has such a great voice, why didn't he pick ANY other song in the world?
    He'll be around a while though – all the girls love that shy cute boy look. Hopefully he can pick songs that better showcase his voice next time.

March 2, 2010 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Brownivygal

why do I feel like all the songs are OUTDATED? I feel like I should be sad every time I watch this. Can we get GOOD CONTEMPORARY music?

March 2, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  50. tiredofsnow

way to go Aaron! I thought he sounded pretty good!

March 2, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Rich

Yes he was runner-up on there Brownivygal

March 2, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  52. tiredofsnow

also, they got rid of one of the best singers last week-Joe Munoz...he could sing better than half of these guys!

March 2, 2010 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  53. protogere

I love that Andrew is staying true to his style. I love his voice, his connection – I always feel like he is singing directly to me. He has such passion, like Gokey from a year or so ago, who I just adored. Here again they are toting the 'do something original with a song' line that they dislike so much in Todrick.
    Ellen brought up a great point as to why the judges are continuously disappointed in him and that's probably part of why I am just not enjoying his song choices as well as I did earlier in the preliminaries.
    And was that a nose ring? I thought I caught a glimpse but afterwards the camera stayed on his right profile instead of head on.

March 2, 2010 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  54. tiredofsnow

Garcia, great voice...he just needs to spice it up some...

March 2, 2010 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  55. End of the pier show

Just listened to Andrew Garcia. Can you go to gaol for murdering a song ?

March 2, 2010 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  56. End of the pier show

Tonight isn't even fit for the end of the road show let alone the pier.

Come on America. Ditch this load of time wasters.

March 2, 2010 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Brownivygal

can we say awkward? glad Jermaine spoke up for himself but i think that made most people cringe....or was that just me?
    and i'm sorry, i think Jermaine Sellers should've stayed in gospel. it suits him so much better. i hear him and think of gospel singing, which is why the AI judges ain't feeling him. But good for him that he spoke up for himself. (plus wasn't he runner-up on BET Gospel's Best....??)

March 2, 2010 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  58. protogere

I think you're right tiredofsnow – but we still have some really good guys to perform.

March 2, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  59. protogere

I'm with you Lisa, it's almost as bad as hearing the girl last week was sewn into her outfit.
    I'm concerned that I am finding myself agreeing with Kara so much tonight – but she had a great point – he tries so hard to showcase his every ability it just turns into a big mess.

March 2, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Sharon

oh my, what a dreadful night again on American Idol, big fans, but not sure anymore if we will continue, what a pile of garbage tonight

March 2, 2010 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  61. tiredofsnow

NO ONE has topped Big Mike yet...the guys need to get it together!!!

March 2, 2010 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Lisa Respers France, CNN.com writer

Protogere and Sam, I agree. The judges say they want "originality" from the contestants, but I think they only want that when it's original and really, really on point.

March 2, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Rich

Kara's feedback is real tonight! I wish all judges would mimic her. It is so real and factual!!

March 2, 2010 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  64. protogere

LoL Lisa, I was wondering the same thing when he compared his goals to Paula's career.
    Todrick has such a good ear for arrangements, I disagree with them tearing on his making it his – much like last week. They'll scream from the rooftops about making a song your own yet when he does, don't. He danced last week and they told him not to so he didn't and now suddenly why didn't you dance?
    I am so disappointed in the way the judges are dragging this poor guy all over the place – he takes their criticism to heart and they damn him for it.

March 2, 2010 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Sam

I bet the contestants wish the judges would make up their minds. They tell them to make a song their own and not copy the original and then they tell someone not to change a song. Give the contestants a consistent message for goodness sakes.

March 2, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  66. mushymushroom

awwwwwwww....alex seems to be a sweet dude...kudos to him and to casey...! can't comment on their performance coz I have not seen it yet so there...:)

March 2, 2010 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Bob

Alex Lambert is a diamond in the rough. He has a pure soulful voice and with a little polishing, he could really shine.

American Idol needs to get back to its roots. Everybody loves the underdog.

March 2, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Sam

I didn't think Alex's performance was good either. I was quite surprised to hear the judges comments. Perhaps they are taking into account his nerves?

March 2, 2010 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Brownivygal

what were the judges listening to? I absolutely LOVE that John Legend song and I didn't think Alex did that great at all. I thought it was "okay" at best.

Is Fox forcing the judges to be more positive?

March 2, 2010 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  70. protogere

They must hear something I don't, I didn't find Alex's performance that good at all.

March 2, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  71. protogere

Casey reminds me of that blonde country boy from a few years ago, Bucky something...except that Casey has pipes.
    This was a great song choice for him don't you think? I think he overdid it with showcasing his guitar playing, which is great, but this isn't about the best guitar player. I hate to admit that too since Kara said the same thing.
    (where are the rest of the blog followers tonight?)

March 2, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  72. protogere

Oh boy, hope Kara's husband is here to keep her under control. If not, hopefully she gained some class over the past six days.

March 2, 2010 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  73. protogere

John hit rough notes all over the place, I'm worried about him there and like they said, it was so blah. I thought it was a good choice, he just doesn't seem to feel it emotionally, so he thereby couldn't make the listeners feel it.

March 2, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  74. protogere

Wow, this is the first night I've been truly impressed by Big Mike's vocals. So smooth and strong, that was such a great start to the show!
    But Ellen – really? I've been pulling for her but I am really starting to see the irritation that everyone has been talking about with her.

March 2, 2010 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |